[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Broken Heart Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

What's the most emotionally-devastated your character's ever been?
>>
>>47841414
>What's the most emotionally-devastated your character's ever been?
When the party finally left the big city, travelled the road ON FOOT to a tiny hamlet, and the not-even-an-inn was revealed to have only "beef" on the menu and straw instead of 1,500 thread count silk sheets.
>>
>>47841414
currently playing OotA and my char's backstory is that Ghazrim DuLoc killed his sister, currently fueled mostly by hatred and quickly sinking into the depths of insanity (failed nearly all my san rolls, currently have 1 permanent madness and just got my second long term madness)

Just finished up the mushroom kingdom, heading our way to Blingdenstone (or whatever that place is called). Interested in seeing if i can have my revenge before being totally lost in madness.
>>
How do I make the game interesting for my martial players? Casters it seems easy: they get spells that change the battlefield in unique ways. Martials, all of the responsibility for fun seems to be on my shoulders as the DM.
>>
>>47841829
interesting/dynamic battlefields.

Yes casters CAN take advantage of such things, but usually they are too busy looking at their spell list to bother.
>>
>>47841829
Take some lessons from 4e, as far as having an interactive environment goes. Give them things to knock around into people and people into, various interactions that technically anyone can do but depend on the player, target or both being close. The good old "rope attached to the chandelier" is a good example.
>>
Theoretically could a mindflayer reproduce with an elf? I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>>47841909
Don't mindflayers reproduce by implanting parasites that eat the host's brain and turn them into a mindflayer?
>>
>>47841909
If by "reproduce" you mean give them a parasite that turns them into a mindflayer, then yes.
>>
>>47841877
Yup! Give them braziers to flick the coals from, towers to grapple and push the enemy off, let them swing from the chandeliers, etc.
>>
>>47841909
Too much incase?
>>
>>47841829
Like the other person said.

Things that require strength to deal with such as a bear barbarian and a boulder can create some fun alternate solutions.

A rogue has a bunch of things relating to hiding and taking the first hit in combat, so give them a chance to do something before combat happens.

A fighter...
Pfft, fighters.

A monk? .. People play those? Well, I guess, give them walls to.. .. Run up.? Maybe?

Make sure to supply them with items the martials can use, such as.. Maybe strength-thrown extra heavy bombs, or payloads for them to fuck around with, or, I don't know, magic items with cool functions.
>>
>>47841993
If that were my reason for asking I would've said goblin or halfling instead of elf.
>>
>>47841993
Too much Butcha-u.
>>
>>47841414
My fighter for OotA, a goliath who prides himself on his strengh and courage, was nearly killed and forced to retreat the mushroom village after barely beating a giant mushroom slug creature/cultist. Afterwards, he had to kill a deranged stone giant and use his corpse as a raft to ensure he would not "get sucked into the earth". (he got hit with a short term madness at a poor time.)

It was a very depressing and taxing two sessions for him.
>>
>>47842028
Haven't you seen the mindflayers fucking that group of elves by him?
>>
>>47842086
Apparently not. I'll have to check it out during my break.
>>
>>47841891
This is a good approach, but has a slight problem in that every class can attempt and succeed at these things, AND the caster classes (who run on resources and are generally worse at hitting things) are the ones who get the most mileage out of it.

A Barb who can hit things twice a turn for 20 damage each is putting out more damage and being more useful than the Wizard who is flinging a single cantrip for 10 damage. The Wizard has a lot of control spells and AoE nukes, sure, but he needs to pace himself in using those. If you allow battlefield manipulation (throwing enemies into objects, throwing objects into enemies, using the terrain to murder guys or impose conditions), it's got to be good enough in terms of ease of use, damage dealt, and conditions inflicted for it to be an attractive option to the Barbarian and other martials. See the problem with grognard interpretation of improvised weapons: "you throw the wagon onto the goblin, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage".

But the moment you make this stuff GOOD and something that the Barb wants to perform for mechanical reasons rather than variety and spice is when all the casters, who are either out of resources or don't want to use theirs, are now trying to do the same shit, and the way 5E handles skills and ability scores now means that not only can many casters be just as good, but even the ones who aren't won't wind up being significantly worse at it.

The only solution I've found is to not let the casters do these things in a useful way. The Barbarian throws a full barrel of ale on the thug; it does decent damage, maybe knocks him prone. The Cleric, who happens to have the same Strength, also throws a full barrel of ale on the thug and rolls just as well, but it just doesn't have the same effect. That seems unfair, and it is, but so is the huge utility disparity between those two classes to begin with. This is just one way of fixing it.
>>
>>47842165
That's not to say that Clerics or Wizards or whatever other caster can't do useful battlefield manipulation. Their magic is the original battlefield manipulator, and they have few limits when it comes to drastically reshaping an area either through a specified spell effect or following through the physical consequences of creative spell use. As far as replicating what the Barbarian is doing, a barrel flung by a spell could match that, or they could instead capitalize on the action of their comrade by using a spell to freeze the whole mess solid, or zap soaked enemies with lightning for increased effect. I stop short of flammable Grease, but am otherwise very accommodating.
>>
>>47841997
>A monk? .. People play those? Well, I guess, give them walls to.. .. Run up.? Maybe?
Don't be stupid. Monks are a lot of fun. Have some ranged enemies attacking them and the Monk will feel cool as fuck deflecting those with his bare hands.
>>
>>47842165
You could impose weight limits on what you can effectively throw, carrying capacity is a thing after all.
>>
>>47842248
>playing high seas
>muskets, pistols
>one person is playing a monk
I feel bad for that monk.
I feel so very bad for that monk.
What's he going to do, catch a bullet and deflect it?
Oh, fuck, he probably is.
I envy that monk.
>>
>>47842262
That only works as far as throwing is concerned, which is a small subset of what you can do creatively on the battlefield, and still does nothing to stop Bards, Clerics, and Paladins from patching the power of more dedicated martials (or even the odd Wizard who has high Strength for whatever reason).

If you could take 16 Int or Cha on your Barbarian and suddenly start casting spells without multiclassing or taking a feat or a specific archetype, there'd be something to that, but you can't. Meanwhile, any caster, be they physically-oriented or not, can get the same skill score or ability score as a non-caster and match them tit for tat in a throwing competition.
>>
>>47842278
Shit, for 1 Ki point he can even throw the bullet back...
>>
>>47842329
Except they can't throw anything heavier than a dagger with proficiency, unless they are a dwarf.
>>
>>47842329
I wouldn't worry terribly much if the bard or cleric can engage in the fun too sometimes, not everything needs to be completely exclusive. The barbarian might just be more often in position to push enemies into the coals while the cleric and bard are doing something besides melee, not more capable. Remember the point is to give them something to do, not make them "special" like having a specific spell list.
>>
>>47842262
I think you'd also need to make it factor in multiple attacks. Making it require using up an 'attack' to lift the barrel and then another to throw it means a Barbarian can chuck it in one round while a caster will take two.
>>
>>47842418
or better yet, make each "interaction" an attack, so barbs can do two interactions, 1 interaction and an attack, or two attacks, while most casters can only do one.
>>
>>47842464
and by that, i mean picking up and throwing the barrel is one interation, so barbs could hurl two barrels, kick a table into someone then cut the chandelier rope, or punch someone in the dick and then pour hot coals on them.
>>
Which would be more interesting as a player, desert-themed or caribbean islands themed campaign? I'm debating what to go for.
>>
I'm curious what WotC's rationale was for giving rogues proficiency in neither whips nor blowguns. Has it ever been justified by Jeremy or Mike? Anyone have any thoughts on why?
>>
>>47841414
>when has your character been most emotionally devastated?

When he finally overcame his trust issues with the rest of the group as he wholly dedicated himself at long last to truly being their friend, not just their comrade, in their quest to stop a full scale demonic invasion.

Shortly afterwards, he learned three of the four other members of the party were consorting with demons making pacts and securing places for themselves if things go south. This completely shattered his faith in friendship, and sent him down a blackened path of utter cynicism, and friendlessness. He rallied the nearby Templars and had them tried for witchcraft and crucified. The remaining member he was distant from from then on.

He was shortly after relegated to BPC status after the near tpk

:(
>>
>>47842120
The more I think about it the more they might have just been humans getting raped. Who knows. Still good stuff.
>>
>>47842402
I just explained that they can get in on the fun, but there's multiple routes to doing it which they have exclusive access to and the martials don't. It's fine if the martials also have things to do that the casters don't, and they NEED to have those, because if we're saying that standard melee or ranged combat is boring unless you are shoving enemies around or moving objects and throwing things or altering the terrain, doing that stuff also needs to be mechanically beneficial and (near) equal to taking a full attack action. But the moment you make "throwing things" a mechanically viable alternative for the Barbarian instead of "hitting things" (either because it does near-enough damage or is applying advantageous conditions) is when the Cleric, the Paladin, the Bard, the Druid, and the Wizard start doing it as well. The one thing they didn't have going for them up until now was matching the raw per-round damage of the Barbarian without blowing resources. Now you've just made them more powerful and given them even more options while the Barb sees his one advantage eroded.

A Valor Bard, generally, is not going to outdamage a Barbarian or Fighter. They have the same number of attacks, but Fighters have easier access to GWM and could take Dueling, the Barbarian has Rage damage bonus (which is not huge, but whatever). They are close enough, though, without being slouches. Same for the Paladin, who can even exceed them for a time by running through all their Smites.
If there is an action in combat that is attractive enough to the more-damaging Barbarian and Fighter to give up their attacks for, why would the less-damaging Bard and Paladin not also do this? Whatever effectiveness the Barb and Fighter lost in raw damage, the Paladin and Bard are losing less of it, since their autoattack ceiling isn't as high to begin with. On top of that, they still have magic to interact with the environment in ways the martials can't.
>>
>>47842543
Do you have ideas for interesting stuff to do in the desert? On the ocean?

Both tend to be vast stretches of samey terrain where supplies are key. Islands are a bit better because they have easier variety, but its really a matter of hooking the players on why they're wandering this terrible place
>>
>>47842604
>Do you have ideas for interesting stuff to do in the desert? On the ocean?
Nope! Not at all. But I do know that I want the environment to be a central part of the campaign.
>>
>>47842544
Well, blowguns are garbage. Whips seem like an oversight, although I'm not sure how well sneak attacking with a whip would work.
>>
>>47842619
In what way? Do you want survival to be a challenge, or do you want interesting terrain?
>>
>>47842658
Survival and I want the players to experience something exotic and unfamiliar. I think I've personally had it with campaigns set in forests and grassland. Desert would be slightly more oriented towards survival, and islands more about navigation and exploration.
>>
>>47842622
>blowguns are garbage
I know, they might as well be a simple melee weapon, they're empirically worse than two-handing the hand-crossbow.

Blowgun
>deals 1 damage
>has the Loading property
>disadvantage at any distance further than 25 ft
But it fits the flavor of a rogue, so why not just give it to them?

>not sure how well sneak attacking with a whip would work
Well, they have finesse and there are multiple ways for a rogue to gain proficiency with them, so I doubt WotC intended for them to be unsneakattackable.
>>
>>47842711
Why not a Jungle? Why limit yourself to one type of terrain?
>>
>>47842725
It would probably evolve to something like that further down the line.
>>
If I posted the map I made would you guys rip it apart and tell me how shit it is but also give me some constructive criticism? I need help with scale and names but I know the locations themselves need work too.
>>
>>47842735
Post it faggot.
>>
>>47842734
I'd say island hopping then. Desert can be good for some things, but interesting environments tend to be easier when you can have Islands as set-pieces for different locales.

Heck, you can even have islands that are deserts for whatever random reason you want.
>>
>>47842579
Put in imaginary numbers:
The Barbarian attacks twice for 20 damage each. He does 40 damage.
The Bard attacks twice for 15 damage each. He does 30 damage.
The Barbarian is bored of swinging every round and never doing anything else in combat, so the DM lets him throw a barrel.
The barrel does 3 damage, and everyone agrees this isn't fun or interesting at all. So they say it also knocks down, but this still isn't worth the Barbarian's time, because he could attack once for 20 damage and then shove an enemy prone. So to be attractive, the barrel has to, at least, do 20 damage and knock down. It has the advantage of being ranged, but the disadvantage of requiring special resources (nearby barrels).

So now the Barbarian is throwing barrels that deal 20 damage and knock down.
The Bard, who's just as strong, also decides to throw barrels. If he wanted to attack once and shove on his own turn, he'd deal 15 damage and knock down. But we've just established that barrels are ranged, do 20 damage, and also knock down. There's no reason for the Bard to never not be doing this, because he's just as good at it as the Barbarian, and it is in fact better for the party's damage output for the Bard to throw all barrels and the Barbarian to swing away all round just as before.
>>
>>47842278
Monks can run on water. Imagine all the possibilities... they can, uh.... run... on the water.
>>
>>47842806
That'd be great if your dungeon was basically zeldas water temple
>>
>>47842768
Sounds good. I've wanted to do a maritime campaign for a while now.

Hell, maybe I'll start from the desert and then expand to some island exploration.
>>
>>47842800
The only way we fix this is by letting the Barbarian throw barrels better than the Bard. But how do we accomplish that mechanically? The Bard can take the same proficiencies the Barb can. He can easily have the same Strength. He can even have Expertise in those proficiencies and be BETTER at it than the Barb. The only pros the Barb could possibly have is advantage on the throws (if we're making it a Strength check and he's Raging) and +2-3 damage (if Raging). But the Bard's Expertise easily outpaces the usefulness of advantage, so this has to be a generic Strength check and not Athletics, and two damage either way means dick. It's still probably preferable in this situation for the Bard to attempt every time instead of the Barb, especially when this means the Barb will be getting advantage on all of his more damaging attacks against the now-prone target.

It gets even worse if you compare something like a Fighter to a Paladin. The Paladin doesn't have any tricks like Expertise to get a leg up on the Fighter, but the Fighter also doesn't get to take advantage on every Strength check or go hulkamania. They're evenly matched in physical contests, but the Paladin can do shit with magic and the Fighter is left to... what? Be an EK? Burn his own resources to be better than the Paladin, while the Paladin also has resources to burn which are even more powerful? Be a Champion and pray for that 5% chance that your barrel throw is better?

It's so much easier to say, "Your class can't cast magic, being physical is literally all you know, so you are better at this physical stuff. Sorry, caster, but you can still do this with magic, plus even more amazing things with magic through non-standard spell usage."
>>
>>47842757
I'm an idiot. I thought I had it on my phone but apparently not. I'll post it in 30 min.
>>
>>47842806
At level 9.
And they fall since they're only water walking on their turn. Good for dashing across a pond, not useful for sprinting across the ocean.
>>
>>47842604
Depends on the desert, but sure. The Three Amigos takes place in a desert. A bunch of the Raiders of the Lost Ark does, too. Lawrence of Arabia. Basically everything from 1001 Nights. Mad Max. Deserts are good places for crazy shit.

Caravans and oases and nomads and bandits and slaves and wizards and outposts on the edge of the grasp of law and order. Ancient empires struck low by horrible curses. Unspeakably corrupt autocrats with scheming advisors and beautiful consorts.

Basically the same stuff you could put anywhere else. "Survival" is a shit theme, don't lean on it.
>>
File: darksun.gif (376 KB, 640x456) Image search: [Google]
darksun.gif
376 KB, 640x456
>>47842543
A desert-themed campaign with Caribbean-styled islands of sand and stone separated by seas of silt.
>>
>>47842874
Plus a desert is far more likely than a string of islands to have anything remotely resembling a dungeon.
>>
File: 2-10 would not explore.jpg (1 MB, 1554x1662) Image search: [Google]
2-10 would not explore.jpg
1 MB, 1554x1662
>>47842735
>>47842757
>>47842865
>>
>>47842973
did you autisticallyrag on your own map?

anyway yea it's pretty boring
>>
File: aishagiggle.jpg (182 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
aishagiggle.jpg
182 KB, 640x480
>>47842973
>>
>>47843017
>Missing the joke
>>
>>47843017
Tilt your head, friend
>>
File: 1454458867086.jpg (81 KB, 678x1000) Image search: [Google]
1454458867086.jpg
81 KB, 678x1000
>>47843017
>>
Has anyone ever 3D printed a miniature before?
>>
Hey guys, question;

Say you had to design a fantasy world but you were only allowed to use four races and humans are one of them. What would you pick for the other three? Everything else is either some sort of malevolent spirits, immortal, beast, or otherwise a creature without something we would qualify as a thriving civilization.
>>
>>47843175

dragonborn
tiefling
gnome
>>
>>47843175
Dwarf.
Lizard.
Alien Grey.
Yeti.
>>
>>47841993
>>47842086
Yeah I just checked all of incase's stuff I can find with mindflayers shows them fucking humans.
>>
Holy fuck I am going batty planning future sessions from the Curse of Strahd book, it is so fucking confusing and badly organized.
>>
>>47843268
One is at least a half-elf.
>>
>>47843268
Check the Mind_Flayer tag on paheal
>>
File: Map.jpg (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
1 MB, 1024x768
>>47842735
Alright this is my map. I am 50/50 happy with it. I feel like there's too much going on, but I'm afraid of having wide open areas.

I am SHIT at names. Most are stolen from online, hell a couple are taken directly from Runescape.

I mainly want help with the scaling (I can change the squares to be any size) and tweaking some of the layout. Easily edited, the program I used was pretty simple and easy to edit. Also, any name suggestions would be welcomed.
>>
>>47843175
Kobolds, Merfolk, Goliaths
>>
>>47843017
How new?

>>47843175
High Elves.
Wood Elves.
Dark Elves.

>>47843373
Some of the text is difficult to read, can you do a stronger white border? White-bordered black text is always readable.

I would suggest extending the Fey's Forest up a bit or the trees around the The Iron Perch (?) down a bit and make it look like the same growth but the top part is spooky.

It honestly feels crowded to me. Unless you're going for that I would probably spread stuff out a bit more.

I won't bitch about most of the name, but please rename the "Cave of Fear" to anything.
>>
>>47843481
>humans and three kinds of elves
>no half elves
I'd add them as a bonus, myself.
>>
>>47843481
Yeah I can make it legible, it's easy.

I like that idea and it works with what I was planning for that area. A+ thanks.

I do feel it's crowded, but it works sort of. Mainly the 'bad guys' (Who are the PCs) Feel there's not enough room for the 'good guys' and plan on getting rid of them. So it works, but I'm worried it'll make traveling weird.

The name is actually from a set of childhood books I loved reading. It's terrible, but it's kinda important to me. It's a terrible fucking nae I know.

Thank you!
>>
>>47843373
Which program did you use to make it?
>>
>>47843638
Inkarnate. It's a website. You have to sign up to use it and it's in beta, but it's good for simple maps.

Can't do anything wild with it, but it works.
>>
File: floatingislandinkarnate.jpg (869 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
floatingislandinkarnate.jpg
869 KB, 1024x768
>>47843708
>Can't do anything wild with it
>>
>>47843748
Well maybe I'm just bad!
>>
Has anyone actually run the Zendikar material that was released? Is there a scan out anywhere of the art book to grab lore from for someone who didn't play through either Zendikar block?
>>
Quick question; I have a -1 STR mod. When dealing damage, do I subtract 1 from my damage rolls when using a weapon that requires strength?
>>
>>47843974
Yes.
>>
>>47844014
This means I can roll a 1 and do 0 damage right?
>>
>>47844115
Yep. Get a Finesse weapon.
>>
File: 5e_Build_Max-Speed.png (28 KB, 517x826) Image search: [Google]
5e_Build_Max-Speed.png
28 KB, 517x826
Find practical uses for pic related build.
840 feet is equivalent to 168 squares

I'll start:
>carry 20lb stone in one talon
>standard action grapple enemy with second talon
>use 200 feet of movement to fly straight up and drop enemy for 20d6 bludgeoning (10ft remaining)
>drop stone on the enemy for 20d6 bludgeoning as a free action
>bonus action dash (10ft+210ft = 220ft remaining)
>fly to the ground (20 ft remaining)
>attack (with advantage if they land prone, use reckless attack if they manage to land on their feet) + extra attack with a greatsword for 4d6+14 slashing damage

24d6+14 damage per turn
mean = 98 damage
>>
File: samuraicostanza.jpg (23 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
samuraicostanza.jpg
23 KB, 290x324
>>47844153
>>
>>47844153

fuck off
>>
>>47844131
I can use daggers for now, but my class already gives me two daggers + a simple melee weapon. Daggers are the only simple melee weapons that give finesse and I don't really have a use for three of them lol
>>
>>47844251
Lies. Take 3 daggers. They can be thrown, and you don't want to run out of daggers to thrown.
>>
>>47844251
Throwing.
>>
>>47844153
Kill yourself.
>>
>>47844153
Actually I fucked up:

>carry 20lb stone in one talon
>standard action carry enemy 200ft into air
>end the grapple at no cost (as per pic related) for 20d6 damage
>drop the stone as a free action for 20d6 damage
>let yourself fall onto the enemy for 20d6 damage, using your reaction to reduce your damage by 75
>attack+extra attack with a greatsword using Haste extra action for 4d6+14 slashing damage

64d6+14 damage per turn
mean = 238 damage

>>47844234
If there's one thing you can rely on with /5eg/, it's that the absolute faggot who posts "fuck off" to posts that trigger his autism will be in it. Congratulations on having absolutely no life, you miserable shit stain. I pity the mother who must be housing and feeding your NEET 37-year-old ass.
>>
>>47844304
Not him.

Fuck off.
>>
>>47844304
You say per turn, but you aren't going to be smashing your face into the enemy at 125 miles per hour very often.
>>
>>47844304
Fuck off.
>>
>>47844304
Fuck off.
>>
>>47844304
Birdfag is trying to replace Virt as the most cancerous poster on /tg/.
Keep up the shit work, Birt.
>>
>>47844455
>>47844441
>>47844417
>>47844319
>>47844302
>>47844234
>>47844224
>post original content relevant to the general topic
>cancer

>pathetically complain like little bitches because someone broke the game that your entire life revolves around
>not cancer

wew lad, you really had me going there ;)
>>
>>47844557
Fuck off.
>>
>>47844557
>>47844551
>>47844455
>>47844417
Fuck off.
>>
>>47841414
whar was /5eg/'s opinion of the mystic class playtest?
>>
>>47844635
Fuck off.>>47844635
Fuck off.
>>
>>47844618
Fuck off.
>>
>>47844649
A promising start
>>
>>47844649
Waiting for a full 20. Expecting it to be the next full class released.

Though, 10 levels is good enough for the vast majority of groups.
>>
>>47844304
>Free Action
>>
>>47844728
Even when words aren't the proper terms, they still mean something.
>>
>>47844649
no telekinetics is sad
still rather clunky
but a huge improvement over the clusterfuck of the 5 level first glimpse.
>>
>>47844304
He could grip a coconut by the husk
>>
>>47841414
Fuck off
>>
>/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Fuck off Edition
>>
So im thinking of creating a 5e port of the shadowcaster from the 3.5 Tome of Magic, but am having trouble coming up with a third subclass at level 3.

The two ive thought of is firstly, Book of Shadow, which essentially works like the warlocks pact of the tome, with the bonus caveat of being able to copy a handful of wizard/sorc spells. The second is Arsenal of Shadow, which grants armor and weapon proficiencies until eventually they can use stealth checks without disadvantage in armor. Need help with a third. Any ideas?
>>
Rolled 4, 4, 3, 4, 2, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3, 1, 1 = 38 (16d4)

>>47844153
>have druid
>have a grappled target in talons
>druid casts spike growth
>drag target over 168 squares of spike growth
>336d4 damage
>since you are flying, you take no damage

mean of 336d4 = 840 damage

multiply the roll by 21

RIP D&D 5e
>>
>>47845288
38*21 = 798 damage

rip dnd 5e rip rip rip
>>
>Gnome Ranger, best friend is a raccoon. Was in fact RAISED by raccoons.
>First Session: Party is sent to go kill goblins.
>Douchebag friend is playing a dragonborn rogue
>During combat he purposefully makes it so I'm in his line of fire for head lightning.
>Kills me almost, kills my raccoon, kills the goblin.
>Only reason he did it was to kill a goblin and to hurt my character
>No in game reason as to why, anyways I almost murder him in two shots because rangers suck at level 1 without stealth.
>DM wouldn't let me finish him, even though he gave permission for him to do it even if it killed me.
>Fuck my friends and their hate of gnomes
>>
>>47845288
two druids? Otherwise can't cast while transformed from my understanding..
>>
>>47845393
...Are you sure they wouldn't be causing problems if you were a different race? Dickishness is rarely so selective.
>>
>>47845439
no, just have a druid in the party. the monk/barbarian build in the pic attached to the post i replied to is the one doing the dragging.
>>
>>47845444
na they're just racist to gnomes
>>
>>47845288
Spike Growth specifies that the damage is dealt when a creature moves. You dragging the creature isn't the creature moving, so it actually takes no damage.
>>
File: 336d4.png (16 KB, 279x907) Image search: [Google]
336d4.png
16 KB, 279x907
>>47845304
>>47845288
>roll the 336d4 in roll20
>mfw got the exact number you got on the first roll
>>
>>47845288
>be druid
>cast spike growth
>have 8 targets grappled in spider legs
>drag them through it until you die and revert
>wipe an army
>>
>>47845487
then why play one
>>
>>47845555
quads wasted on a retard
>"When a creature moves ... within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels."
Doesn't specify that it must use the creatures movement, action, bonus action, or reaction.

how does it feel to be

B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>47845614
Exactly. It's when the creature moves. The creature didn't move, it was 'dragged along with you'. Which isn't moving.
>>
>>47844153
Can you even take the dash action more than once a turn?
>>
>>47844982
We can only wait and hope
>>
>>47845647
It is moving relative to the spikes

it is being dragged through what is essentially razor wire. pls share with the general how it feels to have a sub70 IQ.

>>47845568
>Female Steeder has 30 health
>deal 30 health to 8 targets assuming you spent 8 turns grappling each one and none of them hit you or escaped your grapples
sounds gr8, m8, viable build
>>
>>47845555
Yeah you're retarded
>>
>>47845701
>It is moving relative to the spikes

No, it's being dragged. You're trying to use rules to justify this, and by RAW the creature hasn't moved. It has been relocated by your action, but it didn't choose to move, so it hasn't.

>it is being dragged through what is essentially razor wire.

Oh? You want to argue that it's 'realistic' that they should take damage, since they're obviously being pulled along through thorns?

How about the fact that it's unrealistic for a humanoid with wings to fly, let alone while carrying something the same weight as them? Or that they somehow get even better at flying thanks to martial arts training? And that they can somehow do all of this while spinning around like a top in a small area? And that these supposedly wooden spikes aren't going to break nor catch the guy to tear him out of your fragile bird-bone grip?

RAW it doesn't work. Realistically it works less. Fuck off.
>>
>>47845769
>Fuck off.
Aw, that explains it. You literally ARE retarded.

No point arguing with this poster, /5eg/, he actually has an IQ that is less than 70. He has also admitted that he is over 30 years old and leaches off his mother.

How many times have you attempted suicide and why haven't you succeeded yet? Let your poor mother live her life you parasite.
>>
>>47845200
here's a quick progression for the thought.

lvl 1 Fundamentals of shadow, Mysteries Daily
lvl 2 Umbral Adaptation (darkvision 30ft)
lvl 3 Manifestation of Shadow
lvl 4 Bonus Fundamental, Ability Score Improvement
lvl 5 Umbral Adaptation (eat meal 1/week)
lvl 6
lvl 7 Mysteries gain additional use per long rest, Enigmas Daily
lvl 8 Umbral Adaptation (Sleep 1hr/day), Ability Score Improvement
lvl 9
lvl 10 Bonus Fundamental
lvl 11 Umbral Adaptation (Darkvision 60ft)
lvl 12 Ability Score Improvement
lvl 13 Mysteries gain additional use per short rest, Enigmas gain additional use per long rest, Secrets Daily
lvl 14 Umbral Adaptation (immune to poison/disease)
lvl 15
lvl 16 Ability Score Improvement
lvl 17 Umbral Adaptation (no need to breathe, eat, or sleep)
lvl 18
lvl 19 Ability Score Improvement
lvl 20 Umbral Adaptation (gain Hide in Plain sight, darkvision 120ft)
>>
>>47845769
Doesn't matter, the language is clear: forced movement through the thorns causes damage.
>>
>>47841528
>>47842082
Do you two know each other?
>>
>>47845393
>be sorcerer
>everyone is level 1
>befriend cute little dragon
>cute little dragon is defending bunch of little hobbogobbolin children who aren't actually bad
>reassure them and go on way
>rest of party finds them, starts putting them on the dinner list
>someone attacks one
>sorcerer bullshit mode: Activate
>thunderwave
>down goes half the team
>chromatic orb, sorcerer point to dual-hit
>crit one person in the back as they run, 6d8 damage on a level 1 character
>"I was just teasing, it was the others who were going to kill them!"
>they die too
>no stopping until I'm the only one left alive
>the only person who ever hit me in that campaign was the rogue, and only because I didn't feel like wasting my shield spell on them

Player vs player is such bullshit at level 1.
I only did that because it was the 'test run game'.
>>
>>47845899
nope, no goliaths in my game
>>
>>47845896
Sorry, can you find me a citation for 'forced movement' and that it counts as for 'when a creature moves'?

After all, that would mean that if you Paralyze a creature, it becomes immune to forced movement.
>>
anyone have the monster hunter monster manual pdf from a few threads ago? its not in any of the archive threads
>>
>>47845910
Sorcerers can't use Metamagic at level 1... Hell, they don't even have Sorcery Points yet.
>>
>>47845957
Remember never to argue with 37yo NEETs who dwell in their mothers' basements. Very unintelligent and sad.

Could you please adopt a tripcode, NEETfag?
>>
>>47846113
>No actual argument

Stay mad
>>
>>47845557
It's actually incredibly more likely that you'll get exactly that number than any other you could roll, thanks to the number of dice you're rolling.
>>
>>47845910
I can see why you'd think pvp is bullshit when you're bullshitting the rules.
>>
File: 1447831541462.png (2 MB, 806x952) Image search: [Google]
1447831541462.png
2 MB, 806x952
>find a really good group on roll20
>good balance of roleplaying and combat
>gnome bard befriends two goblins, a zombie, and an owlbear
>our toughest enemy thus far has been a well
>even the wild magic sorcerer is having a good time despite nearly tpk'ing the party after an errant level 5 fireball

please gary gygax in heaven never let this end
>>
>>47843087
Hero Forge is an online business dedicated to 3D printing miniatures.
>>
>>47846148
It's MOVEMENT, it calls for MOVEMENT and there is MOVEMENT
If it said something more specific about turns or actions then it might matter. But it doesn't and it shouldn't.
>>
>>47845957
Last time I checked a paralyzed individual can still be moved around, like in a wheelchair or stretcher. Paralysis doesn't mean you become attached to the ground. Just that you can't voluntarily move your body.

And honestly, just talk to your/a DM about forced movement. They'll give you a ruling and if you disagree with it then you can just make your own game where being dragged through thorns somehow doesn't hurt.
>>
>>47844649
It makes me want to make a Spock character
>>
>>47844649
I think it's alright. All of the abilities are generally sound in design, and help to further new directions for the narrative, but right now it's a bit over powered, due to being in 10 levels instead of 20.
>>
>>47846434
>Last time I checked a paralyzed individual can still be moved around

Exactly. The 'can't move' in the paralysis description refers to the fact that they can't use their own movement. Thus, the same can be assumed for Spike Growth. As it doesn't specify about forced or non-forced movement, we can use Paralysis as a precedent, in which case only voluntary movement applies.

Of course, if somebody wants to run a game with divebombing luchadoor bird blenders, I suppose that's their business.
>>
>>47846614
I don't get you.

>divebombing luchador birds carrying hundreds of pounds while flying is as unrealistic as
>men getting hurt by magical spike bushes that they're shoved/dragged through.

As DM I'd definitely allow the second, and probably the former too (though it's a closer call), since you know, magic.
>>
>>47845555
>>47845614
>>47845647
>>47845701
>>47845729
>>47845769
>>47845896
>>47845957
>>47846148
>>47846400
>>47846434
>>47846614
>>47846677
Okay, I will appease the moron with a counter example just once. This case specifies that a character's movement, reaction, or action must be used to trigger the effect. Spike growth does not specify this, only says that the character takes 2d4 damage for each 5foot space it travels through.

Argument over, everyone go home to your mother's, if necessary.
>>
>>47846614
My post didn't have anything to do with dive-bombing luchador bird blenders. I'm just saying that moving, of any kind, is still movement. I'm not really seeing how you can make your assumption between paralysis' "can't move" and Spike Growth's condition for movement.
>>
>>47846768
Same wording. Say you drag a Paralyzed creature through spike growth. A creature that moves through spike growth takes damage. A paralyzed creature can't move. If you argue that you can drag a paralyzed creature through spikes because forced movement is different, then you can just as easily argue that they take no damage from being dragged because forced movement is different.

This is the issue with trying to go full RAW with 5e.
>>
>>47846677
I'd probably rule that the person being dragged takes damage at the same time as the person doing the dragging. That neatly wraps up my issues with it.
>>
>It's an arguing about flying grappling nonsense episode.
>>
>>47847063
Aarakocra (as stated >>47845288) fly. They wouldn't be touching the ground.
>>
>>47847141
Exactly.
>>
>>47847180
Okay and what you're proposing does contradict the written rules. which is fine if you want it to be that way, but you can't claim it is RAW.
>>
>>47847141
In 3.5 at least grappling meant you take up the same space. I didn't see anything in particular that specifies it for 5e meaning it's pretty up for interpretation. I'd rule in favor of the same space though
>>
>>47847215
You don't take up the same space, RAW.

RAI: if you're grappling someone with your talons, you're dragging them below you while being above them.
>>
>>47847214
It doesn't contradict anything, because the wording on the rules is so vague.

Remember this is 5e. Rulings, not Rules.

Besides, I'd like to see someone justify staying a safe distance from someone while grappling them mid-flight.
>>
>>47847256
RAW you have to grapple someone with your hands, and can't use your feet, so somehow you're flying while holding onto his shoulder, strongly enough that you're not dropping him, but somehow far enough that he's touching the spikes, but your wings aren't, even while you're spinning around.

It might be a silly RAW loophole, but it doesn't make any sort of logical sense.
>>
>>47847215
>>47847272
Posting this rebuttal, then not replying anymore. I don't argue things unless I'm correct and/or my point has not been proven yet. Enjoy proof and have a nice evening, gents.

>>47847272
This man gets it.

>>47847299
Using the talons to grapple is just for logic. It can be done with the Aarakocra's hands just fine while following the rules and the talons can be used for unarmed strikes if you want to be so butthurtedly strict. There is nothing in the rulebooks that states a grapple can be broken because the target was dragged through something sharp.
>>
>>47847299
RAW, you just have to have a hand free to make the grapple attack.

You don't have to have a free hand to maintain the grapple.
>>
>>47847362
>I don't argue things unless I'm correct

Well, that certainly explains why you aren't arguing. Guess we've settled that then. It's a vague loophole at best, flies in the face of logic, and does enough damage that a DM would be crazy to allow it.
>>
>>47847494
"Look, when I misquote you, I win le arugment! XD"
>unless I'm correct and/or my point has not been proven yet

Why don't you go make a little loophole for yourself and put it around your neck?
>>
>>47847535
>unless I'm correct

Which you aren't

>or proven my point

Which you haven't

>then not replying anymore

And you did a nice job of that
>>
>>47847494
Again, how does it fly in the face of logic?

It makes sense that a flying creature with talons could drag another creature through grounded hazards without exposing themselves to the same hazards.
>>
Does anyone have any poison homebrews?

The poison in the PHB is woeful.
>>
>>47847601
Not while doing 360 degree spins to the level where they might as well be in an industrial blender.
>>
>>47847602

>homebrew

If I need to poison somebody I usually just put whatever chemicals are under the sink together and throw it at them.
>>
>>47847658
badum tiss
>>
File: blender.png (118 KB, 1812x235) Image search: [Google]
blender.png
118 KB, 1812x235
>>47847646
At what point is it required that they spin around their axis 2200 times a round?
>>
>>47847576
Great counter point to the proof I posted that is captured from the book itself. And what can I say, when someone gives me the opportunity, I love to make him look unintelligent.

>>47847646
No written rules that support your claim.
>>
>>47847602
DMG pg. 257.

As for homebrew, my group's rogue was interested in it but the campaign we're in is so fast-paced that default crafting rules make it impossible. I threw something together to make it faster:

>You can spend 1 hour per 50gp of a poison's value to craft it. At the end of the time period, you make an Int check (with proficiency) to see if the crafting is successful, with a DC equal to the poison's save DC + 5. If it's not successful, the materials are mostly wasted, now worth half as much crafting-wise as they were before. You need half the cost in materials to craft a poison--you can either buy them or find them.

High (monetary risk) for decent reward. I might lower the DC to just the poison's DC though.

We're also in a campaign where buying materials isn't the best course of action, so:

>In the wilderness, you can search for materials. By spending an hour searching around a specific area with wild vegetation (not just while travelling), you can make a Nature or Survival check to find (1d6 + Int or Wis) x 5 gp worth of materials for the poison. The DC for the check is the DC of the poison + 5.

Additionally, since we're in an undead-heavy campaign:

>A paladin or cleric can spend an hour performing a ritual to "purify" a poison, expending a 1st-level spell slot. The poison becomes effective against undead and only undead, bypassing resistances and immunities but becoming little more than oil or water to creatures that aren't undead.

The wording isn't the best, but it was thrown together pretty quickly for my group.
>>
>>47847723
That's actually be 220 times per round, since RPM is rotations per minute, and a round is 6 seconds.

The bird actually only does it 42 times in a round, so slower than a blender, but still insane for a man-sized bird carrying another man and rotating around in the same 4 squares.

So not quite an industrial blender, but with that damage I'd expect salsa in any case.

>>47847769
>No written rules that support your claim.

Talking fluff here, not rules.
>>
>>47847602
I run a homebrew system for potions generally. Someone who knows the recipe and procedure (roleplaying to get it), can brew potions that are basically just spells in a bottle that take effect on the first person to drink them.

So you could have a tasha's hideous laughter poison, or a fireball poison (fireball in their stomach, very painful).
>>
>>47847769
>Great counter point to the proof I posted that is captured from the book itself.

You're really bad at this 'not going to reply anymore' thing aren't you?

Again, it's vague at best. You can make an argument that by some weird RAW it doesn't say it doesn't work, but it's the sort of thing that demands the DM make a ruling.
>>
>>47847836
The blender rotates 22000 times per minute anon.

22000/10=2200.

Spike growth has a 20 foot radius. This means it has a 40 foot diameter, and just over a 120 foot circumference. A normal character can't even drag someone through an entire cirumference of the circle dashing in one round anon.

You really need to get the part of your brain that does numbers checked out anon.
>>
>>47847836
>>47847723
Just re-read it and saw that it was 22000. Sorry for the error on my part. Still, 42 RPM through sharp objects is going to have that effect, just probably 'mince' rather than 'puree'
>>
>>47847904
Except the birdman can just drag the guy through the same 4 squares. Since we're going for maximum RAW ridiculousness, he can perfectly make each 90 degree turn on the spot.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Spells_Spike-Growth.png (23 KB, 485x457) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Spells_Spike-Growth.png
23 KB, 485x457
>>47847836
>insane for a man-sized bird carrying another man and rotating around in the same 4 squares.
Pic related, spike growth is a 40ft diameter circle. So its area is ~1240ft^2 which amounts to ~50 squares if I'm not mistaken

>>47847864
Right, so, going solely on the RAW, it works. That's all I've been asserting. You are right though, I really shouldn't claim I will stop responding when it gets me this erect to argue.
>>
>>47847960
>going solely on the RAW, it works

Wrong. Going solely by RAW, it's debatable, because 'move' isn't a defined term.
>>
>>47847934
That has nothing to do with it anon. Spike growth doesn't care about squares, it only cares about distance traveled. It's specific: every 5 feet, not every square.

If you want to "rule" that characters can't use their full movement to move through the same 4, 3, or 2 squares, that's fine anon. That's completely independent from someone doing a lot of damage with spike growth.

Of course, "rule" is in quotes, because I doubt you'll ever be in a position to give any rulings at all.
>>
>>47847983
If you really need "move" to be defined to you beyond the obvious contextual clues, then I am not surprised that this argument took this long to come to a conclusion.
>>
>>47847985
You misunderstand. Say there's a giant circle of spike growth. The birdman lowers the guy in towards one of the 5 foot segments near the middle. Then they move 5 feet forwad, 5 to the left, 5 back, and 5 right. They repeat this until they run out of movement. They're spinning on a 5 foot radius.

Going by RAW, since movement isn't forced to be in 5 foot segments, they could technically just move only an inch each way. While it'd be the same amount of damage, that'd be a lot more rotations.
>>
>>47848019
Well, so far your definition of move also has the side effect of making Paralyzed creatures immovable objects, which is why it requires a DM to rule on it.
>>
@47848034
You misunderstand

Say that there isn't a giant circle of spike growth. The character moves 1 inch forward, 1 inch left, 1 inch back 1 inch right. They do this a few hundred more times and then use the angular momentum they've built up to propel themselves out of orbit.

If you have a problem with this sort of movement, you should have a problem with it generally, independent of the spell spikegrowth.

You're not even arguing against the correct interpretation of spike growth now, you're just nitpicking a general flaw of the system so you will remain the last word, and to build up your (you)s

Please adopt a trip.
>>
>>47845288
Me again, /5eg/, I fucked up.

The Aarakocra Monk-Barbarian's speed is halved when it is grappling a creature. So we're looking at 84 squares of Spike Growth for 168d4 damage. Jesus, all you people criticizing this trying so damn hard to contradict me and you didn't realize this mistake? Smh desu senpai.

Still not bad though, 420 mean damage (dude weed).
>>
>>47848100
Nah senpai, just haste that shit up.
>>
>>47848063
Okay, I'm willing to listen to your paralysis analogy but I'm not going to put effort into it. Show me the relevant section of the book and explain your analogy clearly and I promise I'll take it seriously.
>>
>>47848116
The build (pic in >>47844153) is already using Haste from either a party wizard or from Magic Initiate.
>>
>>47848126
Just look under conditions

>A Paralyzed creature...can't move or speak

Thus, if you try and drag a paralyzed creature through spike growth, you have a dilemma. If you move it despite paralysis because forced movement is different, then you could apply the same logic to spike growth, because they use the same wording.
>>
>>47848164
>Magic Initiate
>Haste
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Mobile.png (64 KB, 464x254) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Mobile.png
64 KB, 464x254
>>47848116
>>47848164
A case could be made for allowing the second benefit of Mobile to apply to Grappling's movement penalty, but I don't think a GM would let that fly (pun not originally intended) consider the powergaming we are already pulling off.

>>47848204
Oops, my mistake. Magic Initiate or party wizard for Longstrider. Party Wizard necessary for Haste.
>>
>>47848197
I see what you are saying and if you really really wanted to, you could say that you can't move if the DM tries to force-move you, but the distinction by context is pretty clear.

The paralysis loophole, while entertaining and definitely arguably RAW, does not negate the validity of forcing a grappled creature through spike growth.
>>
>>47848281
Except by virtue of it being arguably RAW, it makes forcing a grappled creature through spike growth also arguably RAW.

Which is my entire point. The Spike Growth thing is debatable as far as RAW goes.
>>
>>47848314
The context of the term "move" in the spike growth proposal is more supportive than its context in the paralysis proposal and neither proposal needs to be approved if the as-written, context-non-considered rules are being implemented.
>>
One of my players had their face used to complete the flesh golem bride of Strahd and the rest of their body devoured by mongrelfolk. She used the Dark Powers resurrection and is now conscious and aware but unable to even scream for the rest of eternity

Too much?
>>
>>47848566

I read a few words of that by accident

jesus I need to play this module
>>
>>47848566
That's actually a perfect balance of horror, gore and edge. I love it.
>>
File: tired-man.jpg (35 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
tired-man.jpg
35 KB, 570x300
>What's the most emotionally-devastated your character's ever been?

>A high-ranking priest of my Paladin's order says there's an urgent matter that I need to attend to immediately
>There's a summit of high priests to discuss something important and I should go to it
>One of the PC's wives has been kidnapped by the bad guy and has a literal three-day death countdown hanging over her head
>I've already sworn on my honor to help the PC so I can't break with him
>I tell the priest that I'll attend to the summit when I finish with my previous obligations
>GM says "are you sure that's what you want to do?"
>I point out that one of the tenants of my faith is to never break a promise or an oath and I swore to help my friend
>GM smiles and says "okay"
>Suddenly lose my paladin powers in the middle of the next session
>Ask the GM what the fuck happened
>The high priest summit was to prevent some eldritch Cthulhu monster nobody ever mentioned before from eating my god
>My god is now eaten and dead forever

I left the game a little bit after that
I think I'm still a bit salty
>>
>>47847602
>>
>>47848672

what the fuck would the paladin even be able to do that a group of high priests couldn't, stab it?
>>
>>47844649
was gonna play it/10

Turns out it was actually a good thing since my party just hit 13th
my Dm is actively retarded when it comes to handing levels.
>>
>>47844649
The only really thing that's off about it currently is how hard you can nova with the psychic blade pseudo-smites. It really needs a lower cap on it than the psi point maximum.

Otherwise I really like the differentiation from normal magic, with both the grouping of abilities and the psi points progression.
>>
File: 1359802832155.jpg (379 KB, 1200x1726) Image search: [Google]
1359802832155.jpg
379 KB, 1200x1726
>>47841414
How do I stop a player from abusing polymorph?
it's annoying, and it makes the GM focus on him more than anyone else, which ruins the fun for basically everyone for him.

Every session goes
>start combat
>polymorph into whatever fucking thing he wants, usually a direct counter to the situation
>"we're fighting fiends? hold up, I've got something that has banish as an ability" level counter
>fucktons of HP
>usually flight/high speed abilities
>bitches out like a coward the second his polymorphed form gets low on HP
>he's 13th level and a druid, he has the ability to cast it twice, or wildshape (not a moon druid, tho)
>begs (actively Begs) for other party members to help him because the DM is retarded and continues chasing after him while he's on low HP, instead of dealing with more immediate threats like actual monsters would do

Can anyone think of anything I can suggest to him to get him to cut this shit out?
or the DM?
I'm rather new, and the DM doesn't take... pretty much anything against his way of thinking well, so It has to be good.
honestly, I'm just wondering how I can stop this shit for my own players in the future. probably gonna leave this garbage group.
>>
>>47848914
Polymorph is a concentration spell.

Every time he takes damage, there's a chance he drops to normal druid form immediately.
>>
File: 1464747261783.jpg (194 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1464747261783.jpg
194 KB, 750x750
>>47848914

Tell your DM he's a retard, you can only polymorph into beasts.

This is probably going to end the game but there you go.
>>
>>47848914
Kill him
>>
>>47848914
>"we're fighting fiends? hold up, I've got something that has banish as an ability"
Polymorph only lets you turn into beasts.

No beast is going to be able to banish anything.
>>
>>47848967
Right, yeah, but here's the rub.
He's got pixies to cast polymorph for him.
he does that stupid natures ally spell.
>>47848978
>>47848987
it specifically mentions beasts?
Hey, there we go.
I somehow missed that.
That could have fixed all the problems with party members immediately wanting to turn into dragons or other fucking shit.
>>47848986
I'll try.
>>
File: 1454885169668.gif (9 KB, 138x164) Image search: [Google]
1454885169668.gif
9 KB, 138x164
>>47849012

You can't specifically summon eight pixies either. You are playing with a living meme.
>>
File: 5e conjure spells.png (42 KB, 381x425) Image search: [Google]
5e conjure spells.png
42 KB, 381x425
>>47849012
>He's got pixies to cast polymorph for him.
>he does that stupid natures ally spell.
Conjuration spells are supposed to have the DM choose what actually appears (see: Sage Advice Compendium). Also pixies are weak as all hell, they have like 1 HP.
>>
File: Trick Weapons.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Trick Weapons.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Does anybody have anything like this, but for the hunter tools? They could either be actual spells or magic items that require use, or both.
>>
>>47849061
>>47849055
I am, yes.
Meme as hell.

I've brought this up with him, he's just refuses to believe that he's not the one who gets to pick.
I guess I'm just gonna have to go over his head on this, since these shenanigans are pissing me off and raising the difficulty on each encounter exponentially. the normal players are getting left behind.
I'm just considering switching to a pathfinder game someone else is running, at this point. I'm genuinely of the opinion that it's -less- of a shitpile because the players/DM actually seem competent
>>
>>47849133

Even 5e can be a shit show when it's ran by idiots. Talk with your DM, and if it doesn't work out then join the pathfinder game. You have nothing to lose if the game is bad enough already.
>>
>>47849133
oh- I'd already have quit, and said "not my problem" if we didn't have /three/ people at the table that are completely new to TG stuff in general, all of which aren't trying to meme or be overpowered at all.
should be the GMs job to actually look at what's destroying his encounters and say "no, you can't fucking do that" not some random player.
>>
>>47849133
>>47849189
Just bring it up with the GM. If he doesn't want to change then kick him.
>>
>>47849222
>then kick him
yeah, that's the biggest problem really.
I'm new to the store.
It's AFAIK their first 5e campaign, but if anyone would be kicked, it would be me.
gotta be careful how I approach people.
>>
File: sundae shirt.jpg (37 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
sundae shirt.jpg
37 KB, 612x380
Just got back from DM'ing the first session of a high level Zendikar campaign with 2 newbies. Had lots of fun and they seemed to enjoy it, could be the start to a wonderful group
>>
>>47848672
You got "rocks fall the paladin falls" false dillema'd.

If you went to the order you would have lost your powers, and never have had anything to do with stopping any kind of eldritch horror, because it would have been a court-martial on how you've foresworn your holy oaths for mere "wanting to show up somewhere instead".

It IS possible however that your god would have been eaten anyways instead, that being what the PC's wife had been kidnapped in order to summon with the death-counter.

He was depowering you one way or the other, and the only appropriate, rational in-character response would have been to flip the fucking table at him and beat his goddamn fucking skull with the fucking DMG until the EEGs fucking stop.
>>
I need the Player's Manual in spanish but I only found the handbook. Does somebody know where to get it?
>>
How do you all come up with names for cities or villages? That's the hardest part for me
>>
File: tumblr_inline_naxvk4Pyas1qc8995.png (211 KB, 500x597) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_naxvk4Pyas1qc8995.png
211 KB, 500x597
Hey /5eg/ I've been reading up on Tieflings because one of my players wants to play one but I've never featured a Tiefling in my games before, let alone had one as a PC.

On page 43 of the Player's Handbook, it mentions a mutual mistrust between tieflings and everyone else - guards follow tieflings around and harass them, clergymen blame them for misfortune, and tieflings don't trust other people as a result of their abuse. But what I can't figure out is how used to tieflings the average person is.

They allegedly live in small communes in cities, so the larger urban areas of the world probably understand that they exist, but a tiefling rolled into a bar somewhere in the ass-end of nowhere would all the peasants in the bar recognize it as "oh hey, that's a tiefling" instead of "OH FUCK A DEMON"
>>
>>47843175
Elf, Dwarf and mermaids/men.

And all of the can interbreed with the kids being of the mother's race.
>>
Where do people get their Roll20 maps? I'm looking for more random places like streets, etc. but in the style of the high-res maps from the books.
>>
>>47849613
My guess is a blend between the two. Some people would want to freak out, since it looks so much like a demon, but then they see everyone else not freaking out, and instead glaring at it, and they end up confused.

Imagine if a tiger walked up to a bar and sat down on one of the stools, but everyone was racist to tigers for some reason. You'd be afraid, but no one else is freaking out, and this is kinda novel, so your interest might win out over your fear.
>>
>>47849613
So are Tieflings the Jews?
>>
>>47849762
No Tieflings can be good alignments, they just have some devil or demon blood in them.
>>
>>47849779
was supposed to be a comma there.
No, Tieflings
>>
>>47844649
I want to like it, but I don't. It feels like "Build-A-Class," which is retarded in a game that already has classes. Its primary stat is INT, but they give you STR weapons, and armor that require DEX. Even if you stand in the back row, you need CON for concentration on disciplines. Lastly, nothing about it requires WIS or CHA, but the whole point of the class is that they're masters of the mind, so why would they ever have shit mental stats? It feels like the game is asking a lot out of you, but at the end of the day, you have to sacrifice something. What's probably the most efficient build, is going STR-based Immortal, which is the exact opposite of what anyone pictures when they hear "Mystic" or "psionics." It's also very alluring to twinks, I can hear their nova builds now.

Nothing pisses me off more than when a game has classes like Tank, Striker, Healer, Mage and Dancer, and you're like, "What the fuck is a Dancer?" And it says, "Dancers can tank, deal damage, heal or crowd control, but it's different because they dance!" Fuck you.

Warlock is similar, but their customization features aren't actually that advantageous to them, since the best thing they can do in a fight is laser beam the fuck out of people. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Don't dick me around and give me this, "You can be whatever you want to be," bullshit. "Our Magic Is Different" is not a class.
>>
File: ChKoQ6TW0AAsst2.jpg (16 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
ChKoQ6TW0AAsst2.jpg
16 KB, 236x354
Would you allow a player to make a dhampyr character that's mechanically a drow? It seems to fit pretty well with the charisma and dexterity boost, the innate magic, and the sunlight weakness, so I can't think of a reason not to allow it.
>>
>>47850104
Or you could just make a drow.
>>
>>47844649
Needs shaper. Also a lot of the power suites fall into more than one category, so I'm not sure how that would be handled in the current setup.
>>
File: 1465271892617.jpg (60 KB, 650x866) Image search: [Google]
1465271892617.jpg
60 KB, 650x866
>>47850174
... It doesn't go with his character's backstory, so that would make the character incredibly awkward.
>>
>>47850174
Why would anyone play a drow? A dhampyr is a stupid edgy special snowflake concept and it's still better than a drow
>>
>>47850262
> dhampyr is less edgy than drow

Jesus Christ.
>>
File: Combat_cross.png (183 KB, 921x465) Image search: [Google]
Combat_cross.png
183 KB, 921x465
I'm running Curse of Strahd, and one of my players is using a whip as their main weapon.

I figure it'd be kind of a fun nod to have a Vampire Killer whip hidden somewhere because Castlevania, so I've been playing around with some ideas.

I want it to be worth using, but not too powerful that it outshines the existing stuff like the Sunsword.

This is what I came up with:

Vampire Killer
+1 Whip
Resembles a simple leather whip, but of impeccable quality.
Mildly sentient, imparts a strong desire to destroy undead creatures to the wielder, with the promise of great power in return if the wielder is worthy.
Can only be wielded by someone with a Good alignment. If someone that is not Good attempts to wield it, the whip will curl up and refuse to budge.
On hit, deals 1d4 additional Radiant damage to undead creatures.

After proving yourself worthy (probably by defeating some kind of major bad guy) it would transform into this:

Vampire Killer - Fulfilled
+2 Whip
What was once a plain leather whip becomes a shining length of enchanted chain when held by someone judged worthy by the whip.
If anyone else holds it, it reverts to its Base form.
On hit, deals 1d6 additional Radiant damage to undead.
Once per day you can brandish this whip in front of you to invoke its power against the undead. Undead that can see the whip within 30 feet must make a DC15 WIS saving throw.
Any undead that fail this save become Frightened of the whip for 1 minute. A creature can attempt the saving throw again at the end of its turn.
If the undead are of CR 4 or lower, they are instead Turned for 1 minute.

Thoughts?
Too strong? Too weak? Other ideas for what it could do?
Im also unsure about the radiant damage, since it disables vampires regenerative abilities I dont want to have too much of it available to the party if possible, but since its a distinctly anti-vampire weapon I suppose it works.
>>
>>47850539
Anon said 'better,' not 'less edgy.'
>>
>>47850642
once upgraded if someone evil grabs it they should be taking radiant as it burns through them.

Just so we're clear, you ARE aware that THE Vampire Killer is basically artifact-level? The thing basically gives no fucks whatsoever about the myriad defenses and immunities that undead, evil-alignments, lower planars, fallen angels, lycanthropes, or pretty much fucking ANYTHING might have.

Hell, the whole flaming thing is basically (same for holy water) burning the evil/taint in the area as it touches it, air and all.

It also most likely does the whole "giant beacon of oh shit" that high level paladins used to cause in Ravenloft.

Also it's less "whip" in most incarnations and more "Flail with Reach"
>>
>>47850858
in curse of darkness it's all green laserwhip on some attacks.
>>
are there no stats for oxen in the base game? i find myself needing it, and cant seem to find any
>>
>>47850858
I'm aware that the true vampire killer would be absolutely absurd, yeah.
But since CoS runs from 1-10, it wouldn't feel right giving out something that strong, especially since I'd be overshadowing the stuff already present in the campaign.

So I'm trying to hit a middle ground, something kind of mid-range in power but still clearly very strong against undead evil assholes.

And yeah, I know its more of a flail. Theres a paladin in the group that uses flails, so I considered making it a flail for him instead, but its very likely that he would wind up using the Sunsword anyway, making it kind of wasted.

The one using the whip is a rogue. Rogues don't really mesh that well with longswords, so he wouldn't use the Sunsword.
>>
>>47851185
I don't think theres any official stats for oxen, you could maybe modify a Draft Horse? Give it a little more hp, replace its hooves attack with a piercing horn, reduce its speed to 30, etc.
>>
>>47851244
He's probably going to use the sunsword because he'll never get a badass flail, all the good magic items are always swords or swords.

UA has a flail mastery doesn't it?
And a flail with reach would open up a lot of options.

And he'd feel a connection to something like that, since he uses flails.
>>
>>47851334
He'd feel more of a connection with it and it would be better from an RP pov sure, but I don't want the cool shit like the Sunsword to go by the wayside.

I suppose I could modify the Sunsword into a 2 handed sword, so that the barbarian of the group would be more interested in using it..
>>
>>47851360
Actually I just realised the Sunsword counts as a finesse weapon, and can be used by someone proficient in longswords OR shortswords, so my rogue would probably be all over it.

I think I'll make the Vampire Killer a reach flail then, that sounds neat.
>>
>>47851323
i was thinking of using a modified warhorse, but draft might be better. it just seems weird there wouldn't be stats, and when i googled it, what came up was either 3/4e answers of "use a bison", which to my knowledge also doesn't exist
>>
great thread guys
>>
>>47851694
thanks me too
>>
File: M.png (53 KB, 308x141) Image search: [Google]
M.png
53 KB, 308x141
>>47851729
>>
What's another 1st level ritual to pick up with Book of Ancient Secrets besides find familiar?
>>
>>47851810
Unseen Servant is cool.
>>
>>47851810
1, Alarm
1, Comprehend Languages
1, Detect Magic
1, Detect Poison and Disease
1, Find Familiar
1, Identify
1, Purify Food and Drink
1, Speak with Animals
1, Tenser's Floating Disk
1, Unseen Servant

These are your choices.
Unseen Servant is neat, Detect Magic seems useful.
Comprehend Languages or Speak with Animals could be good if your campaign suits it. Tenser's Floating Disk also has its uses.

Basically depends on what you think you're more likely to actually use.
>>
>>47851837
>>47851863
Isn't unseen servant a little redundant with find familiar?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.