[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with bad player conduct?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1449195951024.gif (4 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1449195951024.gif
4 MB, 512x384
Hey /tg/ I have a question for you.

I think I have to tell a good friend that he's no longer welcome at the game I'm running and I'd like advice on how to do it.

I recently started running a new game for a bunch of newbies after a new friend of mine expressed an interest in learning to play dungeons and dragons. His brother and his sister thought it was cool and they joined in. For balance, I brought in my friend who has a bit of experience, as well as another mutual friend who I'd not gamed with before, but has something like 20 years experience (he's a few years older than me.) We played a few sessions, but the person in question has started to take on a more aggressive attitude towards other players, creating out of character strife simply because he's not getting his way. I've had words with the others and the general consensus is that while he isn't being a dick, it's uncomfortable in what should be a fun game. He is clearly making my other players uncomfortable and he has a tendency to take control of the party- I think the main issue is that my new friend isn't having a bar of it and is actively resisting.

(cont.)
>>
>>47837987

Regardless, he recently rolled a new character after retiring a character he brought from another game to make the group a bit more robust (level 3 paladin), but due to the fact that he wrote a backstory that geographically places him somewhere else with his new character, I can't realistically introduce him to the party for at least two sessions.

His response to being told was that I need to alter the storyline so his character is introduced earlier. This completely derails the current quest the party is midway through. I've since told him that I would consider it, but I'm not going to sacrifice story, or make him spontaneously appear in a fucking ancient cave system so he can just play.

So I'm seriously considering booting him from the game. This will most likely cause some kind of argument and resentment and I see him quite regularly at both social functions and because I sublet to his sister. I could have a discussion with him about it, but I doubt it would do much if anything to fix the problem.

What do /tg/?
>>
>>47837987
>>47838001
are you a grown man or a fucking child? Why are you asking advice here of all places? Make a choice. Boot the retard.
>>
>>47838001
>What do /tg/?
Try explaining how the player should change their conduct and why. Once.
If no improvement, kick them out.
>>
>>47838034

As I have stated, I have to deal with him regularly in IRL. Do you not think that this will create a problem outside of the game? I'm asking for advice here as I've never had to kick people from my game and that people can be gossipy little bitches so I can hardly ask my immediate gaming circle either because it will undoubtedly filter back to him. The fact that you seem oblivious to how there are social consequences only belies your own failings.

>>47838067
This is basically what I'm planning to do, but I expect him to basically explode over it. If I have to, I will sack up, but I'd rather defuse the issue with minimal collateral.
>>
>>47838116
The fact that you hang out with gossiping idiots and have to ask social advice on /tg/ looks more badly on you.
>>
>>47838116
Youre being an adult about things
Sounds like he's not
Treat him like an adult until he proves he not one, then ask him to leave, like the adult you are.
>>
From what I gather, you and the disruptive guy are at least in your late twenties. Why can't you talk to him? Does he have a habit of ignoring social cues and being a disruptive dick in other area of his life?
Actually, that doesn't really matter. Ask him these questions and get him to confront his dickishness.

-Why the heck would he create a character that clearly doesn't fit with what is going on in an existing game and story ?
-why would he expect to have his new character from Zimbabwe suddenly appear in mammoth cave? -Does he have a chunk of backstory to get him to that point that makes enough sense for the setting?

And
-Why should the other people who are enjoying 'this' have to stop and abandon a dungeon delve for no reason in story other than a vague feeling that the next fated party member is waiting in that inn fifty seven miles away in hamlet bugfuck?
Reminder that the game is to play a role in a story well.
>>
>>47838264

Tabletop gaming is partly social. Managing the social element is just as important. People talk. Even grognards. Grognards are generally even worse for that because they don't get that you speak to them in confidence.

The fact you don't get this reflects worse on you than I on /tg/ where the thatguy threads are bountiful.
>>
>>47838347

Pretty close to the mark. I'm going to talk to him, I was just hoping for methods to keep things civil and not spilling into other aspects of the friendship.

These questions are helpful. I was going to just be blunt about it and say "you're making people uncomfortable" and "This doesn't work for what I as the DM have in store for the other players". Thanks anon.
>>
>>47838116
If he can't be a grown-up when playing a game, he isn't going to be a grown-up about your kicking him out of the game.

It will totally cause problems IRL.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.