[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free RPG Day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: FRDTopCorner.png (118 KB, 350x332) Image search: [Google]
FRDTopCorner.png
118 KB, 350x332
http://www.freerpgday.com/

Went to my FLGS at 10 am. Staff was still standing on the pavement with coffee and a cigarette. Two boxes on the counter contained all the goodies. 5 per person max.

I arrived with another neckbeard and we both started flipping through the boxes, I took the left one. Pathfinder, DCC, Faith, Atlantis, ... I knew there were only going to be 2 Sandy Petersen scenario copies. Only one other guy, this could work out. Got to the end of the stack, and there it was: A single copy of The Derelict! I snatched it up just as the other guy started to groan "Is there another one?"

We had a short chat about how this was the only reason we both had gotten up this early on a Saturday, how I, if I ran the FLGS, would have 'reserved' one of the two copies the day before, how Night's Black Agents offered little owner's pride by comparison, and have a nice weekend.

Also got: Slügs from Lamentations of the Flame Princess, a tongue in cheek monster guide to slug puns. 13thAge/NBA scenarios, a glow in the dark d10 (00-90), and a writing implement +2.

The store expanded last year and now they have room for game tables. Apparently there were some 30 GMs ready to cover the 3 1/2 tables. I was late. Even the player spots were all filled weeks before. This morning the rounds were still hours away. So I want to stop by later and see how things are going.

What would you have gotten if everything had been available still?
What did you get?
How does your FLGS 'celebrate' Free RPG Day?
>>
My LGS is owned by a total Jew so he isn't participating.
>>
File: 1459504329337.jpg (201 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1459504329337.jpg
201 KB, 960x640
>Tfw live in the arsehole of nowhere
>Tfw the nearest game store I know of is a GW that's 15 miles from where I live
>>
File: 4961_b387_480.jpg (35 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
4961_b387_480.jpg
35 KB, 480x319
>>47834109
Tfw I live in mid-sized town and nearest game store i know of is still in big city 70 kms away, and it sucks and is nothing compared to what westerners call LGS, it's just regular store with games and books on the shelves, no tables for playing, no community events, nothing. You just go there, buy shit and leave.

Eastern Europe sucks.
>>
still happening
>>
>>47833886
>Tfw your local gaming shop isn't participating.
>Closest one is almost two to three towns over.

FUCK.
>>
>>47834173
I know that feel, бpaтишкa
>>
I guess I found my daily activity.
>>
File: 20160618_114814.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160618_114814.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
My local store let us have one of each item, and they had lots of everything except the chaosium adventure. I was there at opening and there were a dozen people in line.

The store was hosting free demo sessions with volunteer DMs all day across a dozen+ tables. Lots of different systems represented.
>>
File: 1452530470250.gif (1 MB, 480x279) Image search: [Google]
1452530470250.gif
1 MB, 480x279
>mfw the local flgs used to participate in this
>mfw the competing gamestore used one of their teenaged extra workers to apply for government aid for their mtg events
>mfw the flgs could no longer compete since their competition was severely subventionised
>mfw the flgs had to close
>mfw the other gamestore only does mtg and internet cafe
>>
>>47833886
I didn't make it back, but a friend of mine stopped by later. Apparently the place was packed with several rounds still going. Sounds like a great success. Gotta get one of those tables next year.
>>
Got to the FLGS (about half an hour from where I live) about 10 minutes before it opened, and there were about two groups in front of me. Shop owner comes out when it's time to open, lets everyone in. Lots of copies of everything, tells us we can take one of each. All in all, pretty successful. Looking forward to stuff for systems I haven't tried yet, but most excited about The Derelict. My players have been begging me for a new CoC adventure, and I've been to lazy to go looking.
>>
My FLGS has moved from giving out free stuff to insisting you only get one item with a purchase. They're dicks like that.

Luckily the comic shop two blocks away was giving them away, I only really got the Feng Shui and The Dark Eye quickstarters because I don't give fucks for shit like DCC or Flame Princess or Pissfinder. At least not enough to bother with running them.

The only games going were Pathfinder and D&D5e, until an old friend showed up and ran a Symbaroum oneshot. It was pretty boss, and he was very generous with stuff from the small gaming paraphernalia business he runs so I got at least some loot out of the day.
>>
>>47839184
Report them to the organizers.
>>
>>47839239
Holy shit, I didn't know the bullshit they were pulling was against the rules. Thanks, man. One more nail in the coffin of the only place that actually does a decent RPG range, though.
>>
>>47839310
Let's not make this an alignment thread.
>>
>>47839553
Why else do you think I don't care about 3.x or its relatives?
>>
Got my hands on the LotFP module, the CoC module, the Lankhmar DCC/Mutant Crawl classics book and the atlantis book.

What were the others I missed? do they offer them as free downloads after today? I was quite pissed that my LGS didnt participate, had to drive out to the middle of nowhere just to participate.
>>
Picked up a couple things. My local store doesn't have room for tables and is mostly a book/comic store. But they had their gaming stuff for 20% off so I can't complain. Wish I could have gotten one of the dice though.
>>
Cost me 60 monopoly dollars for about 120 monopoly dollars worth of books. Chatted with other rollers for three hours as more books were being brought in. A guy had sold them about 150 oWoD and nWoD books for 400$, but I'm not much of a fan of it. The others were thrilled, though.

Took some contact info from the lot of them, one of them is supposed to run a couple one-shots on Roll20.
>>
I picked up the Dark Sword quick start. Great pictures and production values, but I probably won't get into the game as I have mostly heard bad things about the rules. I also got one of the limited edition dice, a Reaper figure of a mother and her children, and some Pathfinder cards as they were giving those out.
>>
>>47839184
> was this in manchester UK by any chance?
>>
Just got home with two Free RPG Day stuff: Under the Blood Red Moon for Castles & Crusades/Amazing Adventures as well as Elzemon and the Blood-Drinking Box for DCCRPG. Fiancee picked up We B4 Goblins and The Dark Eye quick start rules.

Nabbed the DCCRPG core rules, 6 minis, set of new dice, game store t-shirt, and Curse of Strahd as well. Shit was a good day
>>
>>47834109
Could be worse. You could live in Edinburgh.
>>
I wish there were some collected PDF release after Free RPG Day. A lot of people seem to be out of range of participating stores. And some giveaways are much more sought after than their availability can cover.
>>
>>47847681
That would be nice. Thankfully a lot of these can be downloaded off of the respective compnies websites.
>>
Ha ha
You missed it!
>>
File: 1460257287218.jpg (560 KB, 776x1054) Image search: [Google]
1460257287218.jpg
560 KB, 776x1054
>>47834109
I know that feel. Except it's 45 miles or more.
>>
>>47833886
I only got one booklet. It was The Derelict, since that was not d20. Honestly? Is dumb. The monster is stupid and the whole invisibility thing is so pointless and out of nowhere compared to the source material. I hate monopods. Hopping is not scary.

I may change the monster and tweak it for CofD.

I did get to play PFS first time in a year. We B4 Goblins fun, but also a bit boring to be an NPC class.
>>
>>47852199
>got most sought after item of this year
>calls it lame
>hurr d20

This is /tg/ now.
>>
>>47833886
I would love to get some stuff, but my lgs isnt even open on sundays, let alone care much about rpgs
>>
>>47852222
This Call of Cthulhu module is sought after? Also, I said not d20. I don't care for d20 games. It was CoC or Fang Shui, and I can do CoC in Chronicles of Darkness. I like the set up, but the Sciapod is really a dumb idea. Some one legged guy in a Viking saga shoots a dude and in CoC its now a dumb hopping monopod Predator of the ice? And why the fuck can it only be seen when touching silver? So much of it is pointless.

It doesn't even feel like a spooky Cthulhu game, it's Predator on an ice boat. I read it in the dark by candlelight and was unimpressed. What was so hot about it? Or cool, since, you know, iceberg.
>>
>>47847681
>>47848009
got link to said pdfs? I'm not seeing ones for the dark eye, castles and crusades or the 13th age/night's black agents anywhere
>>
>>47852583
I would have loved Nights Black Agents.

I still want to know why The Derelict was so desired. Just because of the writer? It wasn't good though...
>>
>>47852638
I was really intrigued to see what that "swords against the dead" thing was about.
>>
>>47852669
What's that?
>>
>>47852342
>using shitty nWoD 2e
You deserve all the salty buttpain you get.

The Feng Shui adventure is based as fuck.
>>
>>47844554
Yes it was. I was the fat long-haired fuck in the denim.
>>
>>47852675
it was in the 13th age/night's black agents freebie they gave away at rpg day yesterday. Don't know what it was about considering I didn't get a hold of it.
>>
>>47852725
It's 2 scenarios in one brochure, 40 pages total.

13th Age: Swords Against the Dead

NBA: The Van Helsing Letter
There's a castle, a lab, an abandoned mine, and a night club in Bucharest. Strasbourg seems to matter later. 6 agent sheets, and a handout I guess.
>>
>>47852769
are the swords in the 13th age freebie statted or are they just plot hooks?
>>
>>47852776
The 'swords' are a metaphor for the player characters, 6 are statted.
>>
was fun but got the jerk who ran the game store let all his 'regulars' take the stuff the night before. All that was left was a few DCC and Pathfinders. It really sucked when all the 'regulars' showed up with shirts, dice, mini's, and MY CoC book. It was the only thing I wanted. I was pissed. SOOOO Mad!
>>
>>47852711
You seem more buttpained. Fang Shui just isn't my type of game.

>>47852769
>>47852725
Oh, damn, NBA was mixed with 13th Age? I saw 13th age and skipped over it.

>>47852841
I'm still curious what's so go about the Derelict. I feel bad I got one and didn't like it, with all these people wanting it.
>>
>>47852921
Just saying, you're using the worst version of nWoD (1e had combat that actually made sense and the system didn't rip off Fate's aspects for basic shit that's logical to anyone with a brain).
And you're telling me you physically can't have fun with Hong Kong cops killing bad guys and pulling off wire-fu moves while doing it? What the everliving fuck?
>>
>>47852937
>1e had combat that actually made sense
>accuracy=damage makes sense
CofD has issues, but it is better in basically every way, including thematically. I also love that they ripped off Aspects. Though for some reason people get so ducking confused by Conditions, as if this was the first game to have codified status effects.
>>
>>47853014
>better in every way
>getting smacked with a blunt object is just as lethal as a knife through the ribs
>initiative penalties for weapons, because pulling the trigger on a .45 is just as slow and awkward as swinging a crowbar
>hurr accuracy equaling damage was always there, they didn't fix it with the exact same fucking rules in Armory Reloaded at all
>also rifles and high-calibre target pistols aren't more accurate and more damaging at all
Full retard is go. nWoD was my first system, I know it back to front and CofD is just a poor imitation.
>>
>>47852583
Link for TDE is:
http://ulisses-us.com/thedarkeye/TDE-Quickstart-new.pdf
>>
>>47853047
CofD is all the good armory rules, yes. Haimg that be the core is great. I have mo problems. With any of those things. There are also better monster, investigation, social, and splat rules. High damage and high accuracy aren't the same. I also like that being beaten with a baseball bat doesn't get better in an hour.

I also know nWoD inside and out. Don't be a 3aboo for nWoD.
>>
>>47853120
>all the good armory rules
>nothing for headshots
>no shooting through cover
>getting hit with a baseball bat just skips straight to snapping bones despite it taking a lot of violence to really start killing someone with a blunt weapon

>better monster rules
Did you even look at the flow chart for ghost/spirit possession? It's shit.

The only good thing about CofD/GMC is the expanded equipment. Armory has better guns and explosives, vehicles, everything really.
Joke's on you, I'm a 4rry

Back on topic, kind of, I still run the nWoD Free RPG Day adventure they brought out back in 2011. The poor book's falling apart and I might have to glue it back together or restaple it, but it's a brilliant intro to the setting.
>>
>>47853084
thanks anon for the link
>>
>>47853167
I meant Horrors in the corebook. The flow chart is fine once you read it. I also don't want baseball bats and crowbars to mean duck all to regular humans. I want brutal but not deadly weapons.
And all the more reason not to hate the new edition. I run 2e. I know the things you complain about. I just don't care or disagree.

As for free RPGs... I still wanna know what other people are excited about thud Derelict for. I wish I was able to grab more stuff.
>>
>>47853167
>I still run the nWoD Free RPG Day adventure they brought out back in 2011.
Which is that? Also, Armory is for dorks. Reloaded had all the useful stuff.
>>
>>47853280
>duck all
>ducking confused
kek
>>
>>47853291
>not using both Armory and Reloaded
>implying the weapon list in either nWoD corebook isn't fucking terrible and written by a retard who doesn't know the difference between a clip and a magazine, or how many bullets an average assault rifle holds

It's Nightmare on Hill Manor. Great stuff, really tickles my mortals and investigation bone. Honestly in every nWoD campaign I've ran I've never had people not at least start as regular mortals.
>>
>>47853301
Goddamned tablet. My power is out. I want a real keyboard and no autocorrect that censors my foul mouth.

>>47853325
I didn't care for that one. It feels Silent Hilly, but it's just not getting killed by zombies. I want something more like a real haunted house. Or am I mistaking it for the apartment one? Most games don't really handle going from mortal to super well, since it gets pretty contrived when everyone awakens at the same time or one vamp sires four people. Changeling makes it work.

Also, never needed super detailed gun stats. Even in 1e. "That gun is +3" is fine.
>>
>>47853658
It is the apartment one, with zombies in. Honestly though, not getting killed by/killing the possessed isn't going to save the apartment block from being stuck in whatever state of being Barnes' death threw it into, and there's a lot of other weird shit (the burning ghost, the blood dripping upwards) to freak your players out besides fighting ghost-zombies.

I tended to run mixed games: the last game I did had a werewolf, vampire, mage (using Hunter's Witch-Finders rules for them, I'm not a moron) and a psychic all hanging out on the same starship. It was the craziest campaign I ever did with it, which at least fits the setting (it was a Cowboy Bebop crossover, and before you say anything it actually worked).

You might not, but I like to know whether I can do anything cool with my weapons. The werewolf's 1897 trench shotgun was a signature weapon for a long time, right up until he changed and got a Fateweaver copy of it. Then he never used the fucking thing because he loved ripping and tearing too much.
>>
>>47834109
The nearest Games store to me is over 500 miles.
Waste of money 40k was can't play it on my own like chess
>>
>>47853747
>mage (using Hunter's Witch-Finders rules for them, I'm not a moron) and a psychic all hanging out on the same starship.
I want torn an entire game using Hunter and 2e core monster rules. But more of a Suicide Squad thing. But we should take this to the WoD thread...

Though I still want to know what the deal with The Derelict is.
I keep remembering Zoolander. Derelict my balls.
>>
>>47845794
To be fair, I'd rather live in Edinburgh than Kirkcaldy or Dundee.
>>
>>47833886
>Saturday
>>47852231
>my lgs isnt even open on sundays
>>
>>47855643
I dunno about Kirkcaldy, but I'll give you Dundee. Best bit about that place is leaving it, which is a shame because it seems like it has so much potential. Like Glasgow in the 80s, just needs people to get their act together
>>
>>47858389
Kirkcaldy is just one big council estate. But holy shit, Dundee is where hope goes to die.
>>
>>47853280
It's a nice little scenario by the guy who made CoC 30 years ago. There's 2 useful maps of ships, a creature from Norse legend that you may or may not like, and a standard sandbox situation for investigators to get into trouble in. I find it pretty useful.
>>
>>47833886
I got jack and shit, because none of the LGSs here are worth a fuck.

>LGS #1, mostly MtG stuff but a decent section for TTRPGs too.
Closed on weekends.

>LGS #2, specialized in board games, small section for books
Doesn't open till noon and I had to be out of town for early Father's Day stuff with the in-laws the whole time they were open

>LGS #3, really a comics place, but they have a corner for a varied selection of TTRPG stuff
Not participating, though they did Free Comic Book Day earlier
>>
>snagged the Night's Black Agents adventure because I'm a slut for GUMSHOE
>bought Fate dice and a Shadowrun book, both on sale

breddy good
>>
>Biked 8 miles because my car go shrekt by a drunk nigger last week
>Get to LGS
>"Only 25 items can be given away and we hit 25 already"
>5 seconds later the cashier is talking to his friend and gives him a fucking FULL duffel bag of books
And that's why I stopped being a landlubber and get my PDFs from /tg/ now.Last year the same thing happened but since I had driven there and it was only 3 books instead of like 40 I wasn't super mad.
>>
I'm pissed that Free RPG day was at the same time as Origins Game Fair. My LFGS was dead because of that. Last year we ran like 20-25 tables worth of games, and this year we only did 10. It did mean that I got 1 of every item I wanted (including a shirt).

I still had a blast running Feng Shui and 13th Age. It was my first time running/playing Feng Shui, and while the system didn't impress me, the story of a Hong Kong cop drama was entertaining enough, and the players really got into their roles. I especially enjoyed the decent into madness depicted by the table's newbie RPer. He played a depressed cop whose younger brother died at the hands of the stories main villain. It culminated in him running people over with a fork lift in the final warehouse scene.

13th age was also enjoyable- even though this module doesn't hold a candle to Make Your Own Luck. The table really embraced their inner craziness with this one, though. They cut deals with pirate captains and griffons, infiltrated an undead army with ritual disguise self, strategically abandoned the peasants on the Isle of Sanctuary to said army, and killed the "apostate" necromancer in the name of the Great Old One Mickey Mouse. I don't even know...
>>
>>47866111
>>
>>47862370
>a creature from Norse legend that you may or may not like
But it's barely from the legend. In the legend, it's literally just "he was shot by an Einfutter".

The module turns the Einfutter into the Sciapod, a big silly hopping one footed monster with a magical ice bow and invisibility that is mitigated by silver for some reason. It has so little to do with the original legend that it's not even funny.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of CoC as a system or the Sciapod, but the rest of it does seem useful. I might make a few CofD characters and run a horror movie one shot. The set up of "you're selling your fancy boat" seems like a neat one.

I'm really disappointed I only got the one thing. Night's Black Agents sounds like a great game, but I didn't realize it was in the same book as 13th Age. I definitely would have had fun running that, and I know people in my game want to play it. Oh well, there's always piracy.
>>
>>47864920
Why on Earth would you not snitch on them to their corporate overlords for doing something skeevy like that. Companies take shit like that seriously because it can have a negative effect on their image if they let it go.
>>
I'm not sure how Free RPG Day works. I believe the stores might be paying the organization for the packages.
>>
Any easy way to find pdf copies of these? I too suffer from having no good lgs.
>>
>>47874225
The rules say they may not be released before July 1st.
>>
>>47874300
Ah, alright that's fair. I can wait.
>>
>>47833886
>went to mine at the local FLGS
> got a couple of free figures and quick starts.
>two games : we b4 goblins or Fueng Shue.
>guy running fung shue is the local Traveller guy, so a little hesitant, but join because i love Hong Kong action movie
>one of the best games I've ever played in.
It was a good day after all.
>>
>>47845794

What is wrong with Edinburgh? I thought that city was great as a visitor.
>>
>>47845794
>>47875531
I live just outside edinburgh, what's wrong with it?

I've never really thought of it as bad
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.