[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The d&d group that I've been playing with just foun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: tome of clear thought.jpg (7 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
tome of clear thought.jpg
7 KB, 260x194
The d&d group that I've been playing with just found basically this book:

https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/tome-of-clear-thought.html

And I was wondering if there was a way to reduce the time it takes for the magic to come back. As in instead of waiting a century we'd wait 50 years or something like that.
>>
>>47829993
Are you the DM?
>>
>>47830927
no. I'm a player and I was just wondering about the item.
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to send it back in time or to another world where time moves faster or something, but anything like that is basically begging the DM to create complications (and rightly so)
>>
>>47830996
Make some Knowledge rolls. If you're set on the concept, find someone who can make better Knowledge rolls and pay them. A quest to understand this book could be pretty major.
>>
>>47831046
Atm I have highest knowledge in the group.
Also our entire group is fairly new to dnd including our DM. By fairly new I mean this is our first campaign.
>>
>>47831169
If you think it's appropriate, ask the DM out of game if it's something worth pursuing.

Or just hijack the campaign, I'm not your mother
>>
>>47829993
>>47831169
In older editions of D&D the book either became nonmagical or just fucked off to another time and place.
The point is it gives one person the super awesome bonus and no one else.

However, rule 0 of D&D is that the DM can change any rules to make the campaign more fun, so if you bring it up with him he might have something to say.
>>
>>47831203
I understand. I don't believe he has anything planned story wise for the book ,but i may be able to trick him into wanting too.
>>
>>47831244
I mean, it's all collaborative story telling. If he's really got a plan and it's been good so far, carry on, but a meta-plot discussion once in a while can help the group focus on a mutually enjoyable experience.

Had you been the DM, I'd have said to make the recharge time what you need (within reason) to make the plot work, and just be prepared for the consequences, as >>47831228 and >>47831041 are getting at
>>
>>47829993
Why?
>>
>>47832027
Wana try and get more out of it.

>>47831333
true may be able to build a good quest out of it.
>>
>>47832069
You're not meant to. Again, why? It's served it's purpose.
>>
>>47832148
I just told you why. it's d&d we can attempt to do anything we want why try and limit ourselves?
>>
>>47832405
I'm gonna guess you're playing a wizard?
>>
>>47832405
>it's d&d we can attempt to do anything we want why try and limit ourselves?
You have a mistaken impression of D&D
>>
>>47832429
tiefling ranger.
>>
>>47832440
Really?
>>
>>47832456
Not necessarily, but maybe. If you wanna get more out of it and the recharge is definitely a century, sell it to the highest bidder. Squeezing out more inherent, "permanently alter yourself "bonuses from a pretty powerful item is sorta greedy? I guess it depends on your character.
>>
Find a spell like this. I mean it's not the same world or edition or even game, but something like this might exist.
>>
>>47832515
well it's the first stat altering item that we've come across that can be used to continuously increase stats. One of the first things our DM said when we got it is If your character can live long enough to farm the item they could have a 30 in INT.
Being a tiefling I'd want the time limit to be lowered so I could possibly do this as well.
>>
>>47832577
I don't know if we'll be able to find time traveling items, but if we do we'll certainly use them.
>>
>>47832596
It's not really meant to be a multiple use item. The century wait is fluff-speak for "you can only use this once"
>>
>>47832626
In previous editions, both the mental and physical versions of this item were one-use, right?
>>
>>47832647
Yea i looked them up. The other literally stated that they were no longer magical after they were used while this one has a time limit. and because of the time limit we'd want to try and exploit it per say.
>>
>>47832577
>same belt for decades
That's a damn nice belt if it lasts that long.
>>
>>47832671
I mean, if the whole party is on board, sure. Just don't expect it to come easily. Knowledge rolls are definitely your first step.
>>
>>47832695
Maybe he just really likes the style?
>>
>>47832707
Well at least we have a starting point now. Thank you.
>>
>>47832720
Careful though.

Did some ancient wizard write it? Those guys fuck around on a level you cannot even comprehend. If they actually agree to help you with the book (instead of claiming it or reclaiming it), the task they ask in exchange is gonna be something even they have trouble with.

Is it some complex dogma of a god? At a certain point, leaving other mortals in your intellectual dust might bring divine attention. Rarely does the focus of a god turn out well for the entire party.

The book might just be a welcome brochure for a tour of the twisted knowledge beyond the stars, making you smarter at the cost of your humanity- or even just your Wisdom, as a more tangible consequence.
>>
>>47832781
Well we already now that for one of our backstories will have us going to basically kill a god (if we live that long) so seeking to be stronger than them would probably be a good thing.
>>
File: clones.png (17 KB, 1403x371) Image search: [Google]
clones.png
17 KB, 1403x371
>>47832577
Reminds me of this.
>>
>>47829993
>use stasis spell or item to pass over the intervening centuries
>read book over and over
>get 30 INT
>suddenly genius intelligence causes you to realize that the world has passed you by irrevocably and your 1500 years of waiting was a foolish waste of the highest order, leaving you stranded in an effectively alien world
>>
>>47835682
Sounds like something a power/knowledge hungry NPC would do (and would probably make for a good story) but a player wouldn't/ couldn't do that because ,well at least in my sessions, can't do anything without the group.
>>
>>47839204
>>47839088
Don't know why that message sent to the wrong person.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.