[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Timer, 5e, Need help with making a paladin's backstory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: crusader.jpg (90 KB, 633x950) Image search: [Google]
crusader.jpg
90 KB, 633x950
Hey I've gotten into a group of 4, I only know one other person will be a dwarf fighter and we're all going to be noobies, and I'm itching to play a Paladin. We're going to be playing Lost mines apparently.

I want to try and avoid lawful stupidness, being THAT GUY and being edgy / brooding in a corner, as a foremention.

So essentially, this guy lived in a small farming village, I was hoping for greek-like land but I couldn't find any near Neverwinter so I chose a little north of Amphali, which is 3 miles north of Waterdeep.So at 13 his father gets sent to hell via succubus. The paladin wants to get his father back, and at first tries the Bard College of Valor as he's heard the myth of Orpheus, but he fucking sucks at being a bard so after 3 years he quits and returns to his farm village, his mother has remarried and doesn't really seem to care about pally's father's disappearance, and with the help of the two little brothers of pally they keep a small farm.

He stays in village for 4 years, and in that time reads up on mythology and the Gods at the church either in the village or at Amphali, and has gotten I'd say in shape as he's been working the fields.

At 20, he sets out.. and I'm not sure how to connect this to becoming a paladin and being at the mines. I'm not sure how one becomes a paladin, how would a deity recognize him? How strong would my character be? I know you're supposed to be essentially luke skywalker at the beginning of 4, so does he only have leather armor on? Or would he already have plate mail?

Also is this backstory edgy? I didn't want to be generic hurr durr i've always been good, but I also hate feeling like I'm being an edgelord. Anyhow, what Deity would he follow, that would allow him to get his father out of hell? Also what if a CE rogue shows up? I don't want to just be an asshole and follow him around saying he can't do this or this, would I just try and offer peaceful methods of approach?
>>
Also I know that a paladin doesn't have to be LG in 5e, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be following one. Also again, suggestions to make the backstory more interesting would be very appreciated, thank you friends.
>>
Just bumping my own post, don't mind me.
>>
Final, or maybe just one more, bump.
>>
>>47827757
/5eg/ is over here >>47826490 Post in the right thread and maybe you'll actually get an answer.
>>
>>47828595
It wasn't so much about 5e so much about making a good paladin backstory/character, but ok
>>
>>47828690
nonetheless, post there and end this thread......
>>
File: LordlyKnightAgain.jpg (302 KB, 973x1200) Image search: [Google]
LordlyKnightAgain.jpg
302 KB, 973x1200
>>47827757
Nah, forget the other suggestions - I think a new thread is a good move. In the future, though - make it as a "paladin general" thread, and provoke some meaningful discussion, while simultaneously asking for the help you actually want. People will be more willing to offer up what they think. Paladins are interesting if done right, and ridiculous if done wrong.

The first question (I'm currently making my first paladin too, so I'm no expert) is where you want your paladin's motivation to come from. Mine came from war. He saw people younger than him dying for causes they didn't believe in, and when he went home (because he got wounded) his neighbor, whose son (childhood best friend) died in the same war and who was like a second mother to him, turned to him and said "it should have been you."

That moment changed his life because, in a way, he agreed - he knew that he could have taken on the man who killed his best friend, and the man who killed the youth from down the street, and maybe even the man who killed any random person from his whole home city. Why should they die, dreaming of home, while he is resting? My paladin then went back to the front to fight so that others might live. He sought out the toughest opponents to spare his allies the same struggle. Etc.

That's a good place to start; why are you fighting, and why are you fighting for others? (Seems like a core paladin ideal).

Next, where do you have your powers (i.e. why aren't you just a LG fighter)? What oaths did you swear, why do you care?

From then on it's standard character creation. What do you believe in, what do you wield, what do you wear, etc.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your paladin! Pic related is mine.
>>
>>47833453
Yeah I couldn't really think of any other overarching want to adventure other than to get his father out, but that sort of makes him one dimensional. I just figure my guy does what his deity tells him so that he can get him out of hell, perhaps on his adventure he'll get some calling.
>>
File: Agent-Nelson-infobox.png (726 KB, 923x650) Image search: [Google]
Agent-Nelson-infobox.png
726 KB, 923x650
Guy who's also never played a Paladin before here.
Always thought about just copying pic related and seeing where I'd end up.
>>
I reworked the backstory a bit last night, do you guys think this will work?

http://pastebin.com/isGW97CU

I'm going to try and be gleeful as a character, as I don't want to be the guy brooding in the corner. I'm just not sure what other "holy mission" to give him like stop war, enact justice blah blah blah based on this story or what to rework about it to give him one. Does he even need one?
>>
File: paladin.png (389 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
paladin.png
389 KB, 800x600
>>47836510
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not sure how to translate this guy into playing, I can't foresee what I'm going to do and I'm sort of scared I'll fuck up
>>
>>47829440
>>47828595

WEEE~WOOO
WEEE~WOOO

FUN POLICE!
>>
>>47836533

Instead of saying

>Sort of a pussy as he’s looking out for himself

describe him as

>He tends to aloof or cowardly as he looks out for himself most often.

Or something along those lines.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.