[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ - Board Game General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: BGG.jpg (371 KB, 750x560) Image search: [Google]
BGG.jpg
371 KB, 750x560
I never save the links so someone else is going to have to post them.

>What is your preferred amount of players for a typical game night, why?
>Where do you normally find yourself gaming these days?
>What's the most aesthetically pleasing board game you've ever seen?
>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?
>Any kickstarter in particular you're looking forward to arriving?
>If a game you own contains miniatures, do you paint them?
>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?

BONUS ROUND
>/bgg/ related horror stories?
>>
>>47827697
Thank god, I was about to have to make one.

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

/tg/ discord channel because apparently that's a thing for some godawful reason:
https://discord.gg/0pEgcQvEfLtih8dV
>>
>>47827697
Game night: 3-4, most games tend to be best balanced at those counts; full day of gaming: 4-8, it lets people sit out some games and chat/drink/play a filler and keeps burnout from setting in over the course of 6-8hrs.
>>Where do you normally find yourself gaming these days?
My home, or a family member's; the LGS are either toxic or just uncomfortable to hang around
>>What's the most aesthetically pleasing board game you've ever seen?
12 Realms maybe, the entire production was great, shame the base game had such big problems
>>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?
Hell yes, they work for my 2yr old niece and my idiot drunk friends at the same time. Toss up between Rampage and Coconuts, both are just good silly fun.
Don't back kickstarters, but I'm kinda geeked to see how Santorini turns out when it's released this fall.
Only if the game has good minis, my copy of Field Command will forever be lame blue/red army men.
>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?
Coup

Besides my sister in law saying she got this great new game and making me sit down to play 5 rounds of Exploding Kittens? The Big Game in 2013 was kinda shit, especially watching the Mayfair people try to split up a mom and her 5-6yr old kid so no one could cheat.
>>
File: polarity-game.jpg (21 KB, 500x251) Image search: [Google]
polarity-game.jpg
21 KB, 500x251
>>47827697
>>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?

Some.
I'm not a fan of "flicking" games at all - shit's boring.

Balancing games tend to be more interesting and strategic. Polarity is fucking amazing, and I'd love to try Hamsterrolle.
>>
>>47827697
>>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?

Descent.
It is -so fucking bad-
>>
should i get the reprint of troyes? never played it before but it looks alright?
>>
File: Fury of Cattula.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Fury of Cattula.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>47827697
>>What is your preferred amount of players for a typical game night, why?
4-5, covers the widest breadth of games and genres in my library.
still pic related
idk, kemet's pretty high up the list
Honestly, I've got pretty limited experience with them. Would like to play Flick 'Em Up or Catacombs, though.
>>Any kickstarter in particular you're looking forward to arriving?
Mare Nostrum finally got in this week, looking forward to some plays tomorrow.
>>If a game you own contains miniatures, do you paint them?
My artistic talent is best described as catastrophically bad.
>>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?
Catan. Superfight. CAH. Munchkin.
>>
>>47827697
About 3-4. It's kinda bad, because our regular group is made of 5 people, so we can't play most of the games.
Also, I really like 2-player games, mostly because there's less downtime.

At my friend's, when we meet when both of us have some free time and play some 2-player stuff.

Bora Bora, if we can't count the Internet then Tzolkin.

They are okay as long as I don't have to play them every time.

I probably would if I have the time for that.

Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin.
There was an actual Munchkin tournament in the only FLGS I know.
>>
>>47827697
Anywhere from 3-8 is usually pretty good, if we're over 5-6 players we'll usually split into two game groups.

At various player's houses.

>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?
Never tried any, but >>47829920 looks kinda interesting.

Have never backed a game on KS.

You think I'm some kind of nerd!? On a more serious note, no, never been interested in miniature painting.

Battelstar Galactica, Agricola, Eclipse.

>>47831517
>Mare Nostrum finally got in this week
POST PICS
>>
File: 1314557876184.gif (885 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
1314557876184.gif
885 KB, 250x189
>my package with Neuroshima: Convoy came in
>after the package was delayed
>after my delivery point was destroyed by a bus
>finally open the game
>counter have misaligned print

You still can read what's on the counters, but sweet space Jesus Christ on a segway, it's hilarious how everything went against me. The game is cursed, I swear.
>>
>>47834264
>this is just the tutorial level!!
>>
Which mods on tabletop simulator's workshop are recommended? Are any of the DLC ones good?

I have a group of 3-4 players who won't ever meet in irl and we can't find anything beyond secret hitler that looks decent visually on the workshop, I'd appreciate it if you could point us to a good game
>>
>>47835068
Any preferences about what type of game?
>>
>>47835103
I am open to anything that's high quality honestly.

3-4 players, less than 2 hours per round and a ruleset that can be taught is preferable for a start though since it will take some time to convince my friends to play longer games with steeper learning curves. I am personally new to board games as well but I have a record of autism games
>>
File: pic2617634.png (2 MB, 2134x2137) Image search: [Google]
pic2617634.png
2 MB, 2134x2137
This seems like the thread to ask. My friends and I went into town to hit the FLGS the other day. We usually do RPGs but keep board games around for if one of our GMs isn't prepped for their session.
We saw T.I.M.E Stories, and while it looks super cool, we were put off by the fact that once you solve a case, that's kind of it, right? It's pointless to play that case again cause you already know the answers.
Is it a worth it game? If it's really good then HAVING to buy an expansion isn't so bad, but I'd like another opinion if I can get one.
>>
I don't know whether to ask here or in /hwg/ but I'll just try my luck here instead:

Which game is the better buy for my group, Friedrich or Maria?

I'm leaning towards Friedrich because it's four players which contains the regulars of my group pretty well, but Maria has more diplomatic things going on, which my group likes in games like Diplomacy.
>>
I just played Caylus. Is that literally one of the meanest games designed, or am I just playing with a group of assholes? The provost mechanic was unexpectedly "take-that" in something that seemed so euro.
>>
>>47835163
By the time you're done with one of the missions, no you won't ever want to play it again. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you, check out some reviews or a play through to see if it looks like something your group would be into
>>
>>47835230
Provost makes or breaks a game of Caylus and players with a few games under their belts will crush newcomers because of this.
You gotta plan your strategy around its current position and control to make sure your actions don't get blocked.
It IS a ruthless game. Give it a couple more shots, you'll see the levels of strategy after a while.
>>
No more than six, unless you want a night full of party games
Meetups, maybe my weekly roleplaying club if the GM hasn't shown up
Gemblo
I've got dyspraxia, but I don't dislike them... I'm just not surprised when Im bad at them. That said, Tok Tok Woodsman is great.
Wizard's Academy is the only one I still haven't gotten yet
Nah, I'm no good at stuff like that
Just the one? In that case, I'll go wiiiiith... Cards Against Humanity.

Nothing horrific, just the occasional That Guy who was tedious to play with
>>
>>47835163
Just have everyone pitch in and pretend you're watching a film. It's about the cost of going to the movies if you get 3-4 other people in, and lasts a little longer too.
After you're done just give it away to a another group.
>>
File: DSC1197k[1].jpg (294 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
DSC1197k[1].jpg
294 KB, 1280x850
>>47836474
>>
Played Tales of the Arabian Nights and Bohnanza with friends last night. Tales was good with the two good sport friends and flopped with the "this isn't a game because it's all random" friend and his girlfriend. I still contend they would've had fun if they read at least some of the passages. Bohnanza of course went off awesome with everyone
>>47827697
>Preferred player count
Whatever fits the game best. If I hear it has a lot of downtime I might ask that we play only 3 or 4 (and I am not afraid to back out if it goes to 5 and 6)
>Where do I game
Local meetup. Last night we played at my friend's place, tonight we might play at my place
>Most aesthetically pleasing
The Grizzled I bought solely for the beautiful cards. But since you specified board game, NY1901 has a beautiful board, and a beautiful everything else too
>Dexterity
I don't like speed games, and some dexterity games are too simple for me. I think flicker games are neat. I'd love to own pitchcar one day but I don't have the space for it right now
>KS
No
>Painting minis
No
>Popular game I'll never play again
Are CAH and Munchkin boring answers?
>/bgg/ horror stories
Is it bad that I just want to talk about people who make me cringe at the meetup, but I can't think
>>47835163
I'll never play it because I know it's not for me, but I was curious enough to watch the Dice Tower playthroughs. The first two modules are one and done...maybe you could play again in a few years because you'll have forgotten most of it and you have a new group to play with. But the Prophecy of Dragons module I think you can get a few playthroughs out of so long as you space them apart a bit. It has a lot of potential ways to build your characters and a few different paths to progress through the story. Haven't seen the Egyptian-themed one get played yet but I hear it's more like the first two
>>
>>47836584
Funny you should mention him; turns out he was being a creepy dickhead to some of the married women at a meetup, and since then he hasn't been back.

Funny, that.
>>47837281
>if they read at least some of the passages
Oh, fucking hell...
>>
>>47831517
>My artistic talent is best described as catastrophically bad.
I still feel that way about everything I paint, the wife and my friends tell me they're quite good but my perfectionist nature always makes me feel like I'm done but not "finished". The canvas map I'm working on right now almost got tossed in the garbage 10 minutes ago when the dry brushing didn't work and I had to wet blend everything back together. I think the key is to get out of your head about it; which if/when I do, turns out the entire sub-hobby is quite relaxing.
>>
File: Average TG.jpg (176 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Average TG.jpg
176 KB, 1024x768
>>47837817
Give us pics and we will tell you if they are nice to you or is it indeed your "perfectionist nature"
>>
File: REEEEEEEEE.gif (40 KB, 295x293) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEE.gif
40 KB, 295x293
>>47838660
Daily reminder to THIN YOUR FUCKING GODDAMNED PAINTS!!
>>
File: 20160127_170226.jpg (628 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160127_170226.jpg
628 KB, 1836x3264
>>47838660
Potato picture so the fur and gold chains look too similar but that's one of the SDE models I did back in January.
>>
>>47838811
>angry marines
hi 1d4chan
>>
>>47839656
How is that an issue?
>>
>>47835163
For alternatives, look out for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective which has like 10 cases I think? Though I've heard one of the cases became unsolvable due to a typo (third one?). If you like Lovecraftian stuff Mythos Tales is coming out in retail this year too I think.
>>
>>47838811
how do I thin paints
>>
>>47841544
Depending who you ask either dip your brush into water before pulling paint off the palette and applying to the model, or mix 1:1 when you put paint out onto your palette. You want something basically the consistency of milk for most applications, washes will be thinner already and not need water added. Just make sure you're not using something so thin it leaves bubbles all over your model.
>>
>>47829920
Problem with polarity is that it's only good for a few plays
>>
>>47839656
You mean us?
>>
arise from your grave
>>
>>47841544
you put them on a diet
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>47827697
>>
>>47846325
Impressive gravity defying skills
>>
File: 1412112573877.jpg (170 KB, 442x650) Image search: [Google]
1412112573877.jpg
170 KB, 442x650
>>47846325
>the giant edition will never be released outside of Japan due to consumer safety laws
>>
4-6 so we can play things other than card games and party games

friends house

hmmm, not sure. A lot of FFG games are nice

I like em, Catacombs is the best out of the ones I've tried.

Evolution: Climate

sigh, one day...

Probably Munchkin, at least with CAH you can duck out at any time.

BONUS ROUND
Thankfully I have none.
>>
File: runebound.jpg (96 KB, 650x378) Image search: [Google]
runebound.jpg
96 KB, 650x378
What's a good fantasy adventure style sort of game to get for 3-4 people? The only real "adventure" style game I have is mage knight, which is really much better off playing solo.

I've been looking into the third edition of runebound, as it seems to be pretty highly recommended, but was wondering if there are any solid games to pick up in this sort of category.
>>
>>47848426
If you like LotR stuff there's Middle Earth Quest.
>>
>>47846885
Someone sells direct from Japan on the boardgamegeek marketplace, albeit with giant shipping costs
>>
File: best girl.jpg (450 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
450 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /bgg/, first time posting here

A while ago I made a thread asking for simple games for me and my friends to tackle on Tabletop Simulator. We have no experience with that stuff, so we played mostly Superfight, Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin and Secret Hitler

We got a bit tired of the usual games and I came here to ask for help, got some really good recommendations like Love Letter, Skulls and Dead of Winter, but what really cliqued with us was Mysterium: really fun to play, not too long but also not too quick and the cooperation was a blast, so I came here to ask for more help:

What other cooperation games would you guys recommend? That's a side of board games we've never really looked into (actually, board games for us are mostly uncharted territory). I'm also accepting stuff like "oh, you are new to board game so you definitely have to play this" suggestions

Also, our group ranges from 4 to 8 people, I guess this is relevant information. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>47852108

If you want to try cooperative games, I suggest you start with Pandemic, it's one of the first, and still one of my favourites. Since you already like small card games like love letter and stuff, I also suggest trying Hanabi and the Grizzled.

For a twist, you may want to try one that includes the chance of a traitor, like dar moon, dead of winter or shadows of camelot. They're not my cup of tea but you may like it.

Other than that, here are some of my all time fave coops :

Legendary Encounters : Alien
Escape : curse of the temple (although I'm not sure it would play well on tabletop since there's a speed element)
Castle Panic
Eldritch Horror (that's a big one though, about 3h/game. Even I wouldn't want to play it everyday)
>>
>>47852137
This is probably going to sound dumb but, which Pandemic are you recommending? Vanilla, Legacy, Contagion or The Cure?

Hanabi is a blast from the past, I actually played a ton of that with this same group on a website years ago, I'm definitely downloading that. Grizzled also looks nice.

Curse of the Temple looks a bit weird to play online, yes, kinda like One Night (it looked really fun but the setup of people closing their eyes and such is really convoluted for tabletop simulator). I'll take note of the other ones, thank you for all the recommendations
>>
>>47852248

Just start with vanilla pandemic to see if you like it first. Legacy is pretty much a "campaign" mode.
The Cure is a dice game version of pandemic, I havent tried it yet.
Contagion isn't even cooperative.
>>
WHEN CAN I GET THE FUCKING TROYES REPRINT?
>>
What is the manliest board game?
>>
>>47853638
EL JUSTO XDXDXD
ALIMONEO JAJAJAJAJA
>>
>>47853638
Toc Toc Woodman

With real logs and axes
>>
>>47853638

Twister
>>
>>47853638
Chess boxing?
>>
>>47853638
Blood rage
>>
>>47839492
You have a vast amount of room for improvement.
>>
What are some other good story focused games like Eldritch Horror?
>>
>>47858504
Yup, it's the first game I ever painted, and it isn't anywhere near as good as the people who do real minis gaming, or competition painting, but each one I painted I got better. Besides it's something relaxing I can do, gaming related, when our group can't get together.
>>
>>47858624
Tales of The Arabian Nights, Betrayal At The House on The Hill, Tragedy Looper
>>
File: darts[1].jpg (114 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
darts[1].jpg
114 KB, 1024x768
Is darts a board game?
>>
>>47860321
I think it's technically /asp/'s purview
>>
>>47860465
we usually have threads on /sp/ when its on.
>>
>>47860487
Fair enough.
>>
>>47860487
Huh... did not know that. I might lurk there next time there's a big tournament.
>>
>>47860321
>Is darts a board game?

In application it's both a board game and a blood sport. Particularly when there's alcohol involved...
>>
>>47855945
>>
People what are your opinions on Heroclix other than
>Wizkids
?
>>
>>47859463
Tales of Arabian Knights sounds good, I'll have to look into it.

I fucking love Higurashi/Umineko and Tragedy Looper seems like WTC: The Board Game.

How replayable are the two games?
>>
HOW IS HEROES OF NORMANDIE ALLOWED TO BE THIS GOOD

IT'S REPLACING TABLE TOP WARGAMES FOR US NOW WHAT IN THE FUCK!?

But seriously, pretty fun game.

Anyone know if the Commonwealth is at all fun? Already got a american and german army box.
>>
>>47861665
search the catalogue for /180/
>>
>>47859054
I did not mean to disparage you, just to confirm your self evaluation. It is a very rewarding hobby and I wish you a most successful journey.
>>
>>47863618
Yeah I tend to be harder on myself than anyone else, and most times have to just decide a project is "finished" even though I'm not 100% happy with it. I've lately taken to watching Bob Ross before I get started on anything, simply to have a soothing baritone tell me that I'm not making mistakes, just having happy little accidents.
>>
>>47865125
it takes practice
a lot of practice and patience, skill will develop over time
read up, look for tutorials and color theory, practice more, mix your own colors, learn different techniques for highlighting and shading, fuck up, strip the minis, try again, invest in good quality brushes, stop before you're frustrated and start bashing yourself, it'll be enough and you'll get to apply what you learned to your next mini
godspeed, anon
>>
So, in the past week, during origins, I got the following games from the Origins math trade:
>Among the Stars: Revival
>Heroes of Normandie
>Lost Valley: Yukon Gold Rush 1896
>Space Hulk 3rd Edition
>Star Trek Fleet Captains
>Wombat Rescue
>Vault Wars

And I received a longstanding CSI preorder that included:
>Falling Sky
>Neuroshima Hex + 4x army packs
>Nations expansion

And I placed the following CSI order:
>Star Wars: Rebellion
>Dice City and expansion

And I bought the following at Origins as either ding & dent or deep discount:
>Between Two Cities
>Neanderthal
>Roll for the Galaxy expansion
>Tides of Time

And I bought wooden inserts for Millennium Blades and Roll for the Galaxy at Origins.
And I bought the last two Star Trek Fleet Captains expansions off Amazon.
And I bought an entire team of Guild Ball characters at Origins.

I should probably stop buying games for a couple years now. Although, to be fair, half the reason why I bought as much as I did is because my financial situation did a complete 180 overnight halfway through the con and I finally loosened the belt. So it's not like I'm wasting important money.

On the upside, Origins was amazing.
>>
>>47862453
I'll explain myself better. I'm kinda interested in the game since a good bunch of people play it in my area. I wish you could tell me stuff about the game and is that "tactical" as it looks? I mean as a /v/ sidenote I always liked Advanced Wars and Civilization so maybe it may click with me.
>>
>>47866151
Sweet chocolate Christ anon, what did you give up for that math trade haul?
>>
>>47865500
>strip the minis
How do you do that without damaging the plastic?
>>
File: 985190.jpg (10 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
985190.jpg
10 KB, 210x210
>>47866344
I use LA's Totally Awesome on wargamming minis which are typically made of a hard plastic. I don't know how it effects soft plastic models.
>>
>>47866396
What are the Kemet minis made of, do you know? And the Scythe minis? Those are the main ones I'm interested in painting.

>>47827697
And as long as we're on the subject, a question for the thread: does anyone sell replacement minis for Mage Knight which aren't total fucking garbage? Love the game but I cannot believe I payed ~$50 for these fucking components.
>>
>>47866344
Simple green seems to work really well for most plastics, I've heard that's the favorite for X-wing repainters. I stripped a pewter model with nail polish remover, but wouldn't recommend it as it took a small bit of the detail along with the paint and primer.
>>
>>47866344

I've been salvaging minis for a...long time we'll say, so I've picked up a thing or two about doing it. Provided you live in the states, this should offer some assistance.

>Use acetone for completely metal minis. It eats everything, including plastic.

>Use super clean/purple power/an industrial degreaser for anything plastic. Works fast, and if you let it soak long enough, will eat super glue. That way you can salvage fragile plastic pieces, like tyranids from 40k.

>Totally awesome/simple green/whatever green eco stuff works, but it's just slow, and frankly is just less effective than superclean. Only reason I'd suggest using that is if superclean is too harsh on your skin. Even then, just buy some dishwashing gloves.

Since we're talking about minis, might as well post a pic of something I really really need to get around to finishing. Behold my mediocre work.
>>
>>47866986

Ah shite, forgot 2 things.

>Plastic glue is not really glue as much as it is thick acetone. when people use it, it melts the pieces together. In other words no, you can't break that bond, you have to cut the piece off. Usually best to not even bother. Just strip and repaint.

>They sale a nylon head brush that people generally use to clean guns. One head is large, the other is small. Totally worth picking one of these up, the brushes dont damage anything, but they're strong enough to really get all the gunk off. Also, the small end is good for getting into nooks and crannies on a model.
>>
>>47862701
I like the Commonwealth a lot, despite having a little less variety than the other two factions.
Don't get Lord Lovat's commandos though, they're getting revised for rerelease.
>>
>>47827697

Nine. You can play awesome party games like Mafia de Cuba, or split into pods of 4 and 5, or 3 and 6, which allows people a lot more freedom of what to play (or more commonly, allowing people to avoid games they definitely DON'T want to play).

My place. Almost always my place.

Sometimes the pub.

Gonna have to go with Seasons, sadly enough.

Haven't really gotten to play any besides Jenga yet...

No, but I am currently waiting for $100 of XWing to show up...

I love customizing things, but I love playing games more. Since I rarely lack for fellow players, I will not buy anything that isn't pre-painted because that would seriously cut into my play time.

Easy Answer: Cards Against Humanity

Ignoring Obvious Examples Answer: War40k
>>
File: shelves.jpg (245 KB, 2048x1148) Image search: [Google]
shelves.jpg
245 KB, 2048x1148
i just moved into a new place. any recommendations for good shelves?
>>
>>47862453

If you had asked me about it 6 years ago I would've told that Heroclix is complete garbage, but they're revamped the system quite a bit and now I think it's pretty good !

Nothing earth shattering but it's decently tactical and the powers are fun even if they go a little overboard with them these days complexity wise. Before that, the system felt incredibly static and limited, which is not something a game about superheroes beating the shit out of each other should feel like.
>>
>>47866986
Not great but about level with most pre-painted minis.
>>
>>47827697
>>
>>47848426
Fuck third edition, get 2nd or nothing.
>>
>>47866312
I gave up some decent stuff, but in the long run I think I made out.

Pixel Tactics + all expansions and promos -> Space Hulk
Fief + expansions -> Star Trek Fleet Captains
Cosmic Encounter + 1st expansion -> Heroes of Normandie
Specter Ops + promo cards -> Lost Valley: Yukon Gold Rush 1896
Chaos in the Old World -> Among the Stars: Revival
Gruff -> Wombat Rescue + 2 expansions
11 spare BattleCON promos -> Vault Wars + 4 promo cards

On the whole I think I made money, and everything I traded away I either hadn't played in 2+ years or did not like while everything I got looks interesting.
>>
sup guys, sorry if you get this question a lot but what do you think of silver tower? asking as a warhammer fan who wants to play with other warhammer fans

how does it play?
>>
>>47870798
I've actually heard some good things about it, but have not touched it myself.
>>
>Power is out
>Buy half price Forbidden Island
>Try to get parents to play
>"I don't wanna play that, let's play Spades/poker/Uno/Sorry instead"
>Dad reluctantly plays
>Confused and barely paying attention, needs to get told everything
>"This game is too confusing, I don't want to play again"
Why do I bother with these Philistines?

>>47827697
Also I just spent an hour making a better version of your OP image because I haven't had computer for like four days and went overboard.
>>
File: J4j8SO7.jpg (81 KB, 800x468) Image search: [Google]
J4j8SO7.jpg
81 KB, 800x468
>>47852788
please guys
>>
>>47868956
Sorry not to answer before.
thanks for your answer. I wonder how much it might cost to buy a bunch of figs to build a team and such. the only thing I don't like about the game is that it follows the same patern of booster packs/boxes and those boxes sure cost a good handful of money here.
>>
>>47871267

I'm sure you can find lots of common figs on ebay... You can also play decently by just buying starter packs and "fast forces". No randomness, and they usually come with desirable characters like Iron Man, Batman & the gang.
>>
>>47862453
Heroclix is a good way to get cheap minis for Pathfinder.
>>
File: McKenzie.png (122 KB, 293x260) Image search: [Google]
McKenzie.png
122 KB, 293x260
>>47870713
>Picked up HoN and Fleet Captains
>>
>>47868770
You could just go for Kallax like 90% of board gamers do. Pretty good at fitting ticket to ride sized boxes. If you do I would recommend getting one of the kinda fabric 'drawer' thingy to store small box games like love letter and such.
>>
Quick one for anyone here who's played a decent amount of Smash up. My game group has really got into this game and we play it a lot to unwind/warm-up/waste time and we have most of the expansions (only missing pretty and it's your fault). It really seems however that Swarm/Swarm strategies are very dominant and we're thinking about maybe putting in a house rule to curtail their use. So far we've just restricted any combination of zombie/robot/halfling and in addition to having a ban phase as part of the drafting it has worked well enough but is there generally a cleaner solution that anyone here knows about?

>Preferred amount
4-6, we're starting a Pandemic Legacy campaign next week so we'll be sticking to a solid 4 members for a while
>Where
Mine or a friends house, my gf who is core in my group got seriously harassed at our lgs so we never go there anymore
>Aesthetics
Cyclades is very slick, I feel like I should have a better answer but nothing springs to mind
>Dexterity
Love em, Jungle Speed is my go to party/drinking game
>Kickstarters
Never back
>Paint
Life is unfortunately too short
CAH and Munchkin, MtG I love but only play with a select few people any more because of how shit the community is in general
>>
>>47873467
Or is there some kind of serious counterplay to swarm/swarm that we're oblivious to?
>>
>>47870945
I can relate; out of everything in my collection, my parents only like playing Gemblo and a tile-laying game about getting numbers in order. My dad really enjoyed Ankh Morpork, but he hasn't played it in a while. He also laughed at me when I pronounced Mr Teatime's name correctly.
>>
Hey /tg/, I want to get a first big two player game, can you give me a recommendation? I'm looking at these:
- Star wars: Rebellion
- Forbidden Stars
- Level 7 Omega Protocol
- Stronghold
Variability/asymmetry is important, as well as theme.
>>
>>47874531
I couldn't even get my friends who play board games to play 7 Wonders or Uncharted, and Uncharted is just a simpler Ascension, which they love.

>He also laughed at me when I pronounced Mr Teatime's name correctly.
Tay-a-tim-ey? I don't read the books, but vaguely recall one of the made for TV movies.
>>
>>47874574
That's it. He'd recently watched that special, so I don't know what hhis damage was. He probably fell asleep.
>>
>>47874599
If that's a reference, I said *vaguely*
>>
File: P6180740.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
P6180740.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
>no mention of 7 Wonders: Duel in this thread

You guys suck.
>>
>>47874699
I can't even get people to play regular 7 Wonders.
>>
>>47874547
Rebellion may possibly be the most thematic game ever made. I don't even like Star Wars, but it is physically impossible to play Rebellion and not get 100% into the theme. And on top of that it is a ridiculously solid game. To date, Rebellion is easily my GotY 2016, and probably in my top 5 games of all time. I'd need to play it a couple more times to figure out exactly where it'll end up, but it really is that good.

Forbidden Stars is quite awesome. It's a long, epic light wargame (light compared to GMT titles) with some really tough and meaningful decisions and a delightful combat system. The asymmetry is quite delicious, and the way the board is set up ensures that no two games play out the same. I don't know how well it plays with two, though. I've always played it with four and I can see it losing a lot of its luster at two.

I have not played Stronghold or L7OP, so I can't really comment on them.
>>
Hey /bgg/, I am a newfag when it comes to board games. I asked this general for help once before (picking a gift) and you were all extremely helpful, so I'm hoping I can get some more quick advice.

The gift I bought my brother ended up leading to the creation of a regular board gaming group among my friends, and I'm planning on buying some more games over the next week. Are any of these particularly bad games within their respective genres? I checked all the internet reviews I could find, but I figure you guys probably know more/will be more honest:

>Impulse
>Eclipse
>Chaos in the Old World
>Game of Thrones (2e)
>Exodus: Proxima Centauri

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
>>
Should I try to find a board game Facebook group or something? My shop is trying to get a community organized, but it just doesn't seem to be my style of game.

Anyone try this sort of thing before? Does it work? Are people nice??
>>
>>47874699
I am pretty hype for it. My store can't get it in yet.
>>
>>47875033
Exodus > Eclipse
CitOW pretty great, but if you're reliably pulling six players I'd recommend Rex over it. If you're talking about the game of thrones Board Game (not the card game or other ancillary titles) then it's not quite as good as CitOW or Rex and would generally avoid it unless you're REALLY stuck on the theme.
>>
>>47875150

Thanks for the response, m8.

>Exodus > Eclipse

May I ask the quick and gritty reason why? I have not found any other reviews actually directly comparing the two.

We usually have less than 6 players, most often 4 (different people but scheduling usually means we end up with 4) and I like the theme of CitOW, so I'll probably pick that up. And I did mean the board game for GoT, the theme would be popular in my group but I'll probably look into something else instead, then.
>>
>>47875426
Exodus handles more of the space empire building spectrum well than eclipse, with the latter notably being almost entirely devoid of politics or trade. Eclipse also tends to backload most of the conflict into the last round or two of the game, while Exodus kicks things off earlier.
Eclipse does have slightly more interesting shipbuilding, but that still usually devolves into ships made entirely out of plasma missiles and targeting computers.
>>
>>47875729
>tfw last game of Exodus ended the game with only green ships on the board
Feels good to be the conqueror. Hitting on 3's is so OP.
>>
>>47875729

Alright, that meshes pretty well with what I'd read individually about the games. I think I will grab Exodus as well then, and skip Eclipse for now. Thanks again.
>>
>>47875027
Thanks for the reply. I have been hearing Rebellion is pretty great. Does it have any flaws, in your opinion? Ppl mention the combat is flawed, and that it can get repetitive in time.
>>
>>47876153
I found the combat to be good. It's good at doing what it sets out to do. It's over quickly, usually, and while not complicated does have significant and meaningful decisions in it.

I'm not sure about repetitiveness. I suppose if you always do the same strategy it'd get repetitive, but I think you can say the same for every game. But, really, just how often are you going to play a 4 hour long two player game? If you play it 20 times and it starts to feel samey to you then I'd say you got your money's worth.
>>
>>47874547
You should check out Space Hulk. It's a classic for a reason, and only works at 2 players.
>>
Help me /bgg/, I've been using Lords of Waterdeep as a gateway game for several groups of friends, but it has gotten to the point that I'm getting tired of it. This past weekend we played all night up until 3 a.m. and everyone was so excited that wanted to play again (it was their first time).
What should I do? Say that I lost my copy of the game? That the cat swallowed all tokens? Or get a different game?
>>
>>47876638
That's the whole point of owning more than one game, and specifically more than one gateway/family weight game. Put Waterdeep on a shelf, and the next time people are over and want to play it, say "I've got a new game that's just a little different but really fun". In your case I'd suggest Stone Age for more of the same, or Splendor if you want something different. If you want to go quite a bit different and want to be truly cruel to the other people at the table get Survive (Atlantis, not Space Attack)
>>
>>47876788
Actually I have Splendor but it's just that I find it kinda unfair for them that they have only played it once and then telling them that we should try a different game. At the end of the day I'll have to suck it up and wait for them to get a couple more plays.
>>
thumbs up for SW: Rebellion
>>
>>47876861
I know that feel, usually just try to go with a harder strategy (go completely for noble prestige via tier 1 cards instead of points) and likely end up in 2nd by a relatively close margin. Still interesting for me and new players seem to enjoy it and learn reasonably fast.
>>
>>47877045

Speaking of which, anyone played Star Wars: Imperial Assault? It looks pretty neat, and my group has been looking for a 1vAll sort of game.
>>
>>47876861
You can always just sit it out and watch them play during the times where you really don't feel like playing, and be on hand to advise on rule clarifications.
>>
>>47829920
Hamsterrolle is indeed the shit. Unfortunately, it's only available in mainland Europe, so I hope you like paying for shipping!
>>
Heads up to my fellow /bgg/rs....B&N started their summer clearance sale, and there are some good games to be had. I picked up XCom, Kahuna, TtR: Nordic, The Duke and Legendary Encounters. All at 50% off plus 10% for being a B&N member. Worth a look if there's a store near you.
>>
>>47873494
Doubtful. I can't be of help really because I haven't played as much as you but the way that game was designed doesn't really allow for balanced play imo. You can't build a totally custom deck, so you can't really counter other people's decks unless one faction as a whole is a natural counter. But if that were the case I feel like it would be obvious. So really, in multiplayer the strategy is to gang up on the tier 1 deck
>>47874699
I liked my one play of it. It was exactly what I wanted from it. Nothing more, nothing less. Very tight design, very tense gameplay, didn't really leave me wanting... but also didn't have any surprises and borrows a bit too much from the original.
>>47875123
Meetup.
>are people nice
People are people. Board games don't change that. Overall I've had a good experience and I can still avoid the people I don't like because I like a majority of them and our group is big enough
>>47876861
I know this feel. Really don't be afraid to sit out like >>47877593
said
>>47880258
Nothing I want is in stock near me
>>
>>47874547
I've got Stronghold and Rebellion.

Stronghold is a solid 2 player asymmetric strategy game. It's enjoyable and has various different strategies for the attacker to pursue - as a defender it seems to mostly be about being as efficient as possible against the attackers strategy.

Rebellion is crazy - fun and I can't stop playing; 12 games in 3 months, which for a 150 minute strategy game is a lot for me.
>>
>>47874699
This is the go-to game for my wife and I, a good 60+ games since the new year.
>>
what does /tg/ think about Runebound 3E and Battlelore?
>>
>>47846325
>>47846885
What is that? I might be going to Japan next year.
>>
>>47877159
It's good but fairly heavy and isn't cheap. I've heard complaints about the 1vAll balance but I think it does better than most; the problems seem to arise when the guy who reads and understands the rules best is Empire and plays to the hilt. It may require a certain amount of DMing from the Empire player depending on your group.
>>
>>47883786

Alright, thanks. We're not really after perfect balance as long as it's still fun for everyone. What do you mean by,
>It may require a certain amount of DMing from the Empire player depending on your group
if you wouldn't mind expanding on that?
>>
File: 1488.jpg (19 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1488.jpg
19 KB, 403x403
>>47870976
>>47852788
anyone?
>>
>>47882947
Bumping this question
>>
>>47883932
Sure. The Empire is the one guy playing against everybody else.

Let's say everybody is playing to win. If things are about even, everybody is having a good time. If the Rebels are crushing the Imperials, then 4 (or however many) are winning and feeling good, and only the Imperial player is stuck getting creamed.

If the Rebel players can't get anywhere, however, then a large majority of the people at the table are having a bad time. Also, while things are relatively balanced like I said, the Rebels do have to overcome coordinating between each other, and the Imperial doesn't.

Basically, if the Imperial player is easily using his tools to cream the Rebel players, he might need to slow his roll a bit and let them make some progress, or at least just become more familiar with the system, or everyone is going to get tired and quit. The game is *supposed* to allow the Imperial player to match all his wiles against the Rebels, but in reality if things get too lopsided he might need to switch from being an opponent to being more of a GM, at least a little.
>>
>>47883932
DM's are usually expected to not kill the players outright, but provide a fun yet challenging narrative experience.
When the only guy that fully understands the rules and objectives is in charge of the baddies and decides to powergame and whoop your ass, there's bound to be some friction.
>>
>>47884201
>>47884165

Ah. That is pretty reasonable, I think. Personally I wouldn't mind doing that if necessary or if whoever wanted to be Imperials the first game powergames too much. So if that's the main issue with the game I don't think it's going to be too much of a deal breaker.

Cheers, guys.
>>
File: IMG_2542-600x450.png (646 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2542-600x450.png
646 KB, 600x450
>>47883619
Rhino Hero/Super Rhino by Haba, it's a simple stacking game using some really thick cards and a single rhino meeple. Might be the single best bang/buck dexterity game, can fit in a deck box, and works great with my 5yr old niece, or at the pub with my drunken friends.

As >>47851151 pointed out it can be found on BGG marketplace for $137 + shipping (70-80 depending on country) but at that price I think it moves from something I'd really like to own, to grail game territory. There's better ways to spend that much on a dexterity game, and it generally involves an email to the Hilinski brothers.
>>
>>47877159
Unless the empire player treats the game as if he is a GM running an RPG, be prepared to lose.

The same can be said of the players too, really. If one side just plays it as a game to the best of their ability, they will crush the other side. If both sides do it, it's usually fairly even but doesn't feel very thematic (for example, it's usually better to ignore the stormtroopers, move through them and complete your objective to advance to the next stage than it is to shoot them).

All in all though, the Imperial player has the advantage in most scenarios as there is lots of unfair bs that only he knows about ahead of time. Also he can just store up the game's equivalent of money, spend it all on the last mission to ensure a win, and thus win the entire campaign even if the rebels won every other game.

The 1v1 miniature game that also comes in the box is much better.
>>
>>47880258
Sometimes I wish I lived in North America where you get those kind of crazy good deals.
>>
>All these CAH answers
I know they say /tg/ hates fun but come on
>>
>>47885032
You're right anon, OP asked for a game, CAH can't qualify
>>
>>47884740

Sorry, just saw this. I will take this into consideration, but I'll probably still get the game. Especially if the 1v1 game is decent as well (my group has most of our bases covered, but our 1v1 games are all getting old, and everyone wants a 1vAll as well). It seems like it could be fun.
>>
What's the best "doom-like" board game (games like Descent and Imperial Assault) and are there any that don't fall to the "Rush the objective problem"? My group just tried our first (IA) and we had a lot of fun but I noticed that problem like other people so I would like to know if there's any that fix that or if it's something just inherit to the structure.
>>
>>47885360
KINGDOM DEATH

It's not really Doom like, or what you're looking for at all. But it's better.
>>
>>47885514
Dat price tag doe, I don't think my group would split the cost and I can't pay myself.
>>
>>47885360
Gears of War is fantastic. It's OOP, but can still be found for sale on Geek or Ebay at fairly reasonable prices. There's also Level 7 Omega Protocol (which is player vs GM unlike GoW which is completely co-op) and it just got an expansion recently.
>>
>>47885359
I'm not saying it can't be fun, but just be aware of its problems going in. For other good 1vMany games check out Fury of Dracula and Spectre Ops.
>>
File: pic477138.jpg (529 KB, 661x866) Image search: [Google]
pic477138.jpg
529 KB, 661x866
Can anyone share their experience with Smackwell's Dungeon Crawl? Players seems to like it a lot.
>>
>>47887748

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll look into them as well
>>
>>47885032
We love fun, that;s why we hate CAH.
If you want to organize a game of it go to /v/.
>>
>>47887748
Opinions on Mansions of Madness?
>>
>>47888881
FFG's first(?) attempt at the dungeon crawler board game. These day it's showing its age with a rules system a lot more clunky than Descent or Imperial Assault. Also has a lot of little rules and exceptions that if forgotten can make the missions really hard for one side or the other. So basically it has all the problems of the other games plus a few more.

It can still be fun if, like the other FFG games, everyone just pretends they are playing an RPG instead of a competitive game. Add bonus points if you are a fan of the mythos.
>>
>>47889324
>FFG's first(?) attempt at the dungeon crawler board game.
Six years after Descent 1st ed.
>>
>>47889404
Wow, that long? Well there you go.
>>
>>47827697
>I never save the links so someone else is going to have to post them.

Bad OP is bad! BAD! ;)

Myself and 3 to 5 others. As for why, because 4 to 6 players is the sweet spot for most games out there.

My house or a friend's house. Just need a decent sized table and enough chairs.

Miniatures based board games (typically war games) with near diorama quality terrain.

Can't say either way as I haven't played / don't own a bunch of them.

>>Any kickstarter in particular you're looking forward to arriving?

Not backing anything right now, but I'd really like to snag a copy of Nemo.

Normally yes, but I've got a huge backlog of minis and little to no time to paint lately.

Catan. Any game where you can play extremely well and still simply get screwed due to bad dice rolls ranks about as high as 'Shoots and Ladders' does on my list of 'Games I want to play soon.'
>>
Going to my first ever board game local weekly event deal tonight. What should I expect?
>>
>>47890890
The spanish inquisition. Just in case.
>>
>>47890959
I'll light the beacons.
>>
>>47890959
So, they'll just ask a lot of questions nicely.
I suggest you cooperate.
>>
File: klebrock-weirdscience.jpg (107 KB, 634x923) Image search: [Google]
klebrock-weirdscience.jpg
107 KB, 634x923
>>47890890
>What should I expect?

Chips, dips, chains, whips. You know, the typical high school soiree...
>>
>>47885291
Right, my bad, /tg/ doesn't consider it a game unless it requires 3 weeks of research beforehand
>>
>>47885662
Level 7 is trash
>>
>>47891475
Escape is trash.
Invasion might be trash.
Omega Protocol is pretty good.

Privateer Press plastic is still trash though.
>>
>>47891475
If you have a specific set of issues with the game - great, share them in an articulate manner and help your fellow anons make an educated choice about what they do or don't add to their collections next. The "It sucks" posts however just make you look like pic related and help no one.

>>47891545
>Escape is trash.
It was like 'Escape' was their 'Intro to board game rules writing' entry and not very good mechanics wise.

>Invasion might be trash.
It isn't bad - it's just not as good as XCom in terms of ratcheting up the tension levels, and in Invasion poor South America routinely gets written off by the other continents in the mid / late game.

>Omega Protocol is pretty good.
I like it for the fact that a good GM can make the game a great time for the team. (A bad GM can break the game by playing it totally as an "I win - you lose" experience.) I still like Gears of War a bit more, but I don't dislike Omega Protocol, and I'm interested in picking up the new Russian expansion.

>Privateer Press plastic is still trash though.
I didn't have any problems with my minis in Level 7. Did they have production issues? Or are you just not a fan of their materials / scale?
>>
>>47891963
The plastic they use is just a little soft and warps a lot, even after heating and cooling in the desired position.
>>
>>47892331
Yeah, Reaper 'Bonez' have that issue at times too. I've found that if you set the plastic in ice water (rather than letting it slowly cool to room temp) it tends to hold the desired shape longer.
>>
If I already have Legendary and all expansions, would getting Thunderstone do anything for me? Are the games different enough to warrant having both?
>>
Do anyone here have played Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn? I'm kinda interested in the game but the mage vs mage theme is kinda burnt out for me. I'm interested though becuase is a kinda-lcg so it gets expansions and new cards in a semi regular basis.
>>
>>47893355
Thunderstone is cool and all, but since it's OOP you won't find any of it at MSRP right now.
>>
>>47893408
I found the first base game and 4 expansions on craigslist for $100.
>>
File: 5ym.jpg (17 KB, 187x269) Image search: [Google]
5ym.jpg
17 KB, 187x269
Has anybody heard anything about this? I'm kind of interested, but don't want to give Mayfair money, as it'd only go to Asmodee...
>>
>>47894979
At best, it's ok, not quite good; I made the mistake of playing it before watching Vasel's review, and he nailed it, this is Roll For It in co-op form, dragged out, and you might not get to do anything on your turn after rolling. The player count is a damn lie, I wouldn't do this with more than 4, and I'd really only do 4 if I had a few drinks in me. The fact that it's also Mayfair, which these days means shit production values............. yeah no.
>>
>>47827697

Four is ideal for me, almost all of my games or the games that people bring tend to be four player.

At my house or a friend's house. Sometimes we'll go to a hookah bar or a more quiet bar with lots of room, but usually it's at home.

I love the stylized board games and I guess I'm a bet of Rahdo fanboy with my pick "CV"

No. These games tend to give certain people an advantage that makes it no fun for others (if you include drawing/party games in this description).

I got burnt out on kickstarter after the Glory to Rome shenanigans. I did eventually get my copy but now I'm gonna wait til games are out to buy them.

Nope. I'm a casual.

Settlers of Catan, no question.
>>
Recommend me... FIVE good games. Real solid stuff. Any genre.
>>
>>47895209
I see. Shame... I heard some bigwig at Mayfair talking really enthusiastically about it at this year's UK Games Expo. He seemed really passionate about the game.
>>47895757
Ankh Morpork
Love Letter
Viticulture
Tales of The Arabian Nights
Shadow Hunters
>>
>>47895757
Geez Anon, there are literally hundreds of solid board games out now and more coming all the time. It's more a matter of what play style you're interested (party games, light games, co-operative, heavy strategy games, that sort of thing), any genres that might appeal to you, and how long a run time you want out of a game.

Off the top of my head:
7 Wonders
Android: Netrunner
Castles of Burgundy
Citadels
Dead of Winter
Dixit
Exodus
Five Tribes
Funemployed
Hanabi
Nations
Once Upon a Time
Pandemic
Puerto Rico
Robinson Crueso
Roll for the Galaxy
Small World
Splendor
Stone Age
Terra Mystica
>>
>>47893871
Also, in addition to Marvel Legendary, I have the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, if that changes anyone's advice. Does Thunderstone seem redundant?
>>47895757
Hive
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Battlecon
Netrunner
Pixel Tactics
>>
>>47895757
Dominant Species
Twilight Struggle
Brass
Caylus
Virgin Queen
>>
>>47895925
>>47895943
>>47895998
>>47896153
Thank you all, it was very helpful.

I went for Tales of Arabian nights.
I was hoping to find something horror themed, but this sounds wonderful.
>>
>>47896375
>I went for Tales of Arabian nights.
Good job anon, you went for the worst game listed.
>>
>>47896473
Hey, Tales is the most fun story telling game out there.

It admittedly is more of a fucking around simulator than a game, but that's storytelling games for ya.
>>
I feel like an orphan. AEG (Pinnacle entertainement) decided to kill Doomtown reloaded an after the next expansion the upcomming month the production will cease...
>>
File: voltaire-quote1.jpg (215 KB, 542x469) Image search: [Google]
voltaire-quote1.jpg
215 KB, 542x469
>>47896473
>>
>>47896473
Way to discourage
>>
>>47896572
Voltaire never said that, fucknugget.
>>
>>47896596
No kidding. What he said was "Holy Shit! Get me out of this coffin!"
>>
Is there a board game that works kinda like Hand Of Fate?
>>
>>47895925
Yeah, it was really pushed hard before Gencon last year, and I didn't look at the reviews closely, just saw all the hype around it. I don't really have good history with Mayfair, but I wanted to like this going in, since I'd like a lighter weight good ST themed game. If the theme was deeper rooted, or it was a better game mechanically I'd consider buying it, but there's too many good co-ops out there and as is I don't have the room/cash for all of them. Maybe ST Panic will be worth it, it's been getting good press from the people who got to test it at GAMA.

>>47896528
I can't figure if this is sudden, or right on schedule; they seem to be killing their franchises around the 2 year mark.
>>
>>47896661
>I can't figure if this is sudden, or right on schedule; they seem to be killing their franchises around the 2 year mark.
I kinda hate myself for believing in them. I had hopes that Doomtown might be different and will survive to at least see another year of life. but I guess all have to come down...
>>
>>47893390
We got a couple of people that play it and occasionally shill it, myself included. Its risen up there to be alongside battlecon and summoner wars for my favorite two player games (that aren't hours long, a la twilight struggle). I played magic for a long time, and tried several lcgs, and Ashes so far is scratching all the right itches. Had some rules hicoughs along the way, but FAQs have ironed out any confusion pretty well, so far. Would have been amazing if it used the stack rules, but we can't have it all.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a community in Montreal, so I only play it with friends and have no local tournaments to go to.
>>
>>47896734
>and Ashes so far is scratching all the right itches.
could you explain yourself a little about this point?
so far as I understand. you can only take two actions right? then what?
>>
>>47896711
Yeah I've got very mixed feelings about the company. Production values are always good, games are priced relatively where I'd consider them fair (and definitely when you take into account amazon/csi discounts), the universes they've built are actually pretty interesting (I'm surprised they killed off the Tempest series so fast). They have released a couple of very blah games, and I'm getting a bit tired of the constant Love Letter licenses (we needed an Archer version); but they feel like they're capable of becoming Iello. They have a very strong core game, lots of family friendly options, and all their event/reps are well run/trained. Need to decide who they wanna be and get their shit together.
>>
>>47896375
Should have went with Eldritch Horror.
>>
>>47896845
Every round involves players going back and forth taking two actions.

So its all about the timing. Do I slap down an ally now and threaten an attack next turn? If they only have spelbooks to summon their monsters (which takes two turns, 1 to play, 1 to summon), that can mean a chunk of their life gone. But it also means I don't have a spammable monster I can get out every round. And getting an ally back from the discard can be time consuming and/or costly.

Do I use a minor side action to finish killing off a unit with a dice power, or do I save that for later and change my weak dice faces now?

Every time you do something,your opponent gets to try and mitigate or counter that move, so it becomes a tempo game, who can stall or strike at the right time, or create a favorable condition for next round (players exchange first action between rounds). Its quite different from : my turn, do a bunch of shit,wipe your board, attack, gg. That part I find refreshing. If you telegraph your plays, your opponent will read the timing, and make sure you never get a profitable trade set up. It is not as bluff filled as netrunner, but it does create scenarios where you have to choose whether to react or force your opponent to react.

Also, illusion dice power actions can suck on a dick. I hate getting my dice killed late in the round.
>>
>>47897165
mmm what can you tell me about the distribution model? I mean unlike LCGs Ashes takes a little bit more to receive new materal. any particual reason of why this?
>>
>>47897100
Got that!
>>
>>47897206
In podcasts and interviews, the disgner has stated they want to roll things out more slowly than what ffg has done with their lcgs since the late 2000s. They are looking at three releases a year. Two releases each involve two standalone decks, so new phoenix borns, and thirty cards plus conjurations each. Then, around november/December, we get a big box. This years is supposed to have 4 decks, and introduce two new dice types. The second year is supposed to be more of a new core set, so likely 6 or more phoenix borns, and your full set of dice.

Every wave also seems to feature a single promo phoenixborn that only comes with a play set of their unique cards. These can be bought at plaid hats online store, won at tournaments, or by dled when you order from them online. This method of distribution has rankled quite a few non-americas players, as they can't afford the shipping and have to buy from brick and mortar.

So, all told, thats 11- 14 new avatars every year, alternating between mini box sets and core sets every 04 quarter.

Of course this being plaid hat, releases have historically run late. But so far, they've been on the ball for ashes, which has impressed me, as I've been burned way too often on delays for summoner wars going back to 2011.
>>
What do you guys think of Star Wars: Rebellion? Is it worth if you are a SW nerd and have maybe 1 or 2 friends that could play the whole game through?
>>
Speaking of, what are some good Horror board games? Something to put scary music to and immerse yourself?
>>
>>47897915
Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space. Scariest game I've ever played. Not because of the theme, though it is good, but because of the experience of it.
>>
>>47897750

One friend is all you need. 3-4 hours of fun for the two of you
>>
What is the best worker placement?

Is it Caverna? Why not? If T'zolkin wasn't cheesable, I'd probably pick it.
>>
So, Doomtown is kill.

What license does AEG use for the next redskin of smash up/love letter?
>>
>>47897363
So relaease every 4 months? mmm maybe it just me but it seems like a huge time gap for me at least. but that's a complain just becasue.

thanks. now with doomtown kill I'll have to find shelter somewhere else.

Soneone here knows a game based on area control that expands itself overtime?
>>
>>47896153
Fucking hell, these are heavy-ass games.
>>
>>47898727
I really like Stone Age myself. I wouldn't bother with the expansion, it doesn't really add anything one can't live without. The base game does an excellent job of making worker placement interesting and fun.
>>
>>47899483
Twilight struggle is not heavy at all. It just takes several hours to play. Plenty of strategy, but compacted into 8 pages of rules, and just 5 actions to take. A fantasy flight games big box title it aint.

IT'S BETTER
>>
>>47899514
It might be because I played it mostly on the phone against the dumbest AI ever, but I can not stand the amount of randomness in that game.

Seeing them place one dude on gold and get it and me getting 2 wood from three guys is maddening.
>>
>>47902203
The Stone Age app has nothing on 1st & Goal; I had people asking if I should be on mood stabilizers the first couple weeks I played with it.
>>
Opinions on Archipelago?
>>
>>47902514
Wanna play it.
>>
>>47902514
On my buy list.
>>
>>47902514
Make sure you're in the right mood to play it (and maybe the right group). If you're not in a mind to haggle and nitpick and bargain over every last detail, if you have a person (or persons) who like to draw things out and go back and forth again and again, you will end up going absolutely spare.
>>
Hello /bgg/ I'm going to be visiting a FLG tomorrow for the first time in a while (since my tiny town doesn't have one). And i want to know if you guys have any recommendations for good games. My group is typically 4 to 6 players. I'm really new to board gaming in general but so far my group and i have played and like Lords of Waterdeep, The game of thrones trading card game, mage knight, and pandemic. Games with cards and deck building like elements are typically fun for my group. Also games with alot of personality like the game of thrones trading card game. I love all the backstabbing it.

tldr: Newbie to board gaming looking for recommendations.
>>
>>47904859

For 5 players I recommend Space Alert. I especially like it because the gameplay is "live" and therefore it has no downtime. For me downtime is the worst thing about boardgaming with a larger group (5-6 players)

Also good for 5 players: Battlestar Galactica. Most people love this game. Co-op with hidden traitors and sleeper agents onboard
>>
File: 1444748949533.gif (647 KB, 245x145) Image search: [Google]
1444748949533.gif
647 KB, 245x145
>>47883991
>>47870976
>>47852788
anyone?
>>
>>47905147
Keep trying.
>>
>>47905167
>post from phone
>download the post, rotate it using the right-click from file explorer on desktop
>still sideways
WHY
>>
>>47905167
fuck off and stop spamming, we get the point
>>
>>47905194
Threads almost dead anyway, I really don't get why it won't post correctly.
>>
>>47905091
Latest info is June.
>>
>>47905224
But it's June now.
>>
File: Let's try this time.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Let's try this time.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>47827697
Four to six. Many, many games either max out at or are best at four, and the ones which aren't tend to max or best at six. Five is fucked, the only gaes I can think of that are good with five are CE, CitOW, and Kemet.
Gameology (FLGS, about half an hour away, near Frank and Son's so we go there basically every other Wednesday), the local comics shop (play with the owner, it's not a busy place).
Sol: Last Days of a Star, Dixit/Mysterium. The latter two remind me of Lane Smith, for some reason.
Pic related.
SCYTHE
Ananananachrony
Sol: LDoaS
Fucking High Frontier goddammit YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE OUT BY THANKSGIVING
I will once I get good enough.
So never, probably, no.
CAH (Apples 2 Apples is okay because it takes a bit of creativity to be offensive), Munchkin, any of the "classics," otherwise I play what I can. Catan is my least favorite that sees more than one play, and >>47890447 is right but the best played end up with the most wins anyway so eh.

Sorry about the spam, I really didn't know that deleting posts doesn't lower the reply counter.
>>
>>47905235
If it means that much to you then how about you stop being a lazy shit and actually email the publisher?

Summer is here and the clueless hoards have arrived...
>>
>>47906240
tell me, you cunt
>>
>>47898727
Of the worker placements I've tried (Caverna among them) I'd say Dominant Species is my favourite. Not that Caverna is by any means bad, I just prefer the flow and style of Dominant Species over that of Caverna. Strangely enough, I quite like Caverna, but I can't fucking stand Agricola..

>>47902514
Only played the short game as a learning game once but my first impression, as well as that of the other players, was "okay, I guess." It had interesting mechanics, but the combination of a semi-coop with shared but hidden objectives fell kind of flat imo. That said I need another few plays for a more solid opinion.
>>
>>47907269
>like Caverna, but can't fucking stand Agricola
Starving into negative points is all too easy in Agricola, it's a lot of stress, especially when your family grows. A few poeple I know actually enjoy this and argue Caverna is easymode.

Also, squabbling for wood and getting to build fuck-all, laid my plans to waste many a time.
>>
>>47898727
I love Viticulture, although Snowdonia's pretty good as well.
>>
>>47907786
I like the drafting aspect of Agricola, which is usually the thing cited as being better in the original. But that isn't worth the rest of it. I love the simplified fences and farms and ovens.

>>47909030
I am this close to buying Viticulture online rather than waiting for my local store to be able to get it. What's Snowglobia?
>>
>>47909221
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qucI5lJJ43w
>>
This past weekend we played Tokaido, and then after that we added the expansion Crossroads. I hate it when they make bare bone games to just complete them with an expansion (or DLC).
What other games do this?
>>
>>47910305

Every game has expansions these days, not sure what you mean.
>>
>>47910324
Games that you NEED the expansion to actually enjoy the game, for instance, Pandemic expansions they add new stuff / new modes to the game but the base game is still enjoyable, you can live without them.
>>
>>47910305
I've only played Machi Koro with The Harbor expansion, but I'm told it's dull as dishwater without it.
>>
>>47910305
Kingsburg's expansion adds a bunch of different modules, one of which replaces the reinforcement die with a set of reinforcement tokens. I consider this module absolutely mandatory, although I do really like all of the expansion modules. Even the event deck.
>>
>>47910437
I like base Machi Koro. It is a dice game though, there's not a whole lot to it.

I like going for 1 die + Restaurant strategies.
>>
>>47910373

Do you really need the expansion though ? I've always heard Tokkaido was designed as a very pure, easy to pick up game for total casuals. If the expansion adds any level of complexity, well maybe the game is not so casual anymore. Maybe the expansion exists for those who want to take the game one step further. I dunno, talking out of my ass here.
>>
>>47911760
I've played with and without the expansion. I feel it adds unnecessary complexity to a very streamlined design, but it's enjoyable too.
I think it's OK when you've exhausted the base game's replayability, or if you get it from the get go, but I don't feel like it's mandatory.
>>
>>47910373
>Games that you NEED the expansion to actually enjoy the game

This is kind of interesting. I've always looked at expansions as falling into one of three categories:

1. Game Designer(s) build game and realize later that it isn't as good as they'd hoped. Said designer(s) come up with an expansion to improve overall game play. It happens.

2. Game Designers come up with a good base game and:
A. Release the entire game, and then create more good content and release that as an expansion. (Example Exodus 2nd Edition + Edge of Extinction expansion.) Expansion is NOT required to have fun, but adds additional fun to an already good game.
B. Designer(s) release a 'hacked down' version of the game as a base package and then try to sell users more and more content that should have been in the base game as "Expansions". I personally hate the 'Nickle and Dime the customers to death' bullshit myself. (Examples include Mythic and Games Workshops 40K / WFB tabletop minis games.)

3. Game designer(s) come up with a reasonably good game with a flaw which really needs fixed (either errata or an expansion) and then never do so. (Example - 'A Few Acres of Snow' which is for the most part mechanically sound. The problem is one particular strategy enacted by one side is effectively unbeatable by the other side. Once the trick is known, the game plays out the same over and over again. The game designer realized this later but effectively refused to fix the game.)
>>
>>47912224
I've played the Tokkaido base game and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want to play it dozens of times in a row. One of the few examples I can personally think of where the expansion is better off ignored is Stone Age. The expansion doesn't really add anything that greatly improves the game and simply bogs things down / adds additional unneeded elements to an otherwise good game.
>>
>>47912224
>>47911760
Indeed Tokaido is a game for casuals and is very streamlined but in Crossroads it fixes some big flaws like adding a second choice to all tiles. If you already visited all the scenery of X color there is no reason to do so again in the base game.
The complexity added is just "you have this other choice, which is stupidly simple", if you understood the base game, the expansion is no more complex than that.
>>47912363
Exactly, it happens that the base game is good and the designer wanted to add more stuff that adds value to the game. I feel that Tokaido falls in option 3.
>>
>>47912363
Related to 2B
4.- Game designer presents a finished game. Publisher strips it to its barely functional form, releases it despite being incomplete. Sells the rest of it as expansions, then presses designer to create additional unnecessary rules/objectives/mechanics/scenarios of grossly varying quality to market as more expansions.
>>
>>47913600
Example?
>>
>>47913633

Well, Dominion comes close. I mean the game's base set was good and all, but the author originally presented the game with, like, the 4 first expansions already in and the publisher said "FUCK THAT, we're gonna milk that sonofabitch".
>>
Where do I go for board game related news?
I wanna be updated constantly, to know what new games come out/are revealed.
>>
>>47913834
I go to the bg subreddit for news and new / popular kickscammers. I just come here for the community, because they are a bunch of pansies.
>>
>>47913633
Videogames are the worst offenders, so I had them in mind when I posted, but miniature games and LCGs rely on you buying additional content. They're not really incomplete since the system works well, but your gaming experience is very limited with just the base set.
I dunno, maybe I was just having a case of "big bad corpoprations only want your money" paranoia.
I need coffee. Or sleep. Or both. And a rhino tranq dart.
>>
>>47913961
Yeah I get you since I mainly play vidya I just wanted examples and compare it to video games. I know that Asmodee is the equivalent of EA.
>>
>>47913777
Catan did this as well. The initial design of Catan included Seafarers.
>>
File: 300px-Terriermon2.jpg (18 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
300px-Terriermon2.jpg
18 KB, 300x225
Help bgg, what should I get next?
I already have:
Pandemic w/expansions
Pandemic Legacy
Splendor
Mafia de Cuba
Sheriff of Nothingham
Lords of Waterdeep w/expansion
Bang / Bang Dice game
DC DBG
Mage Wars Arena
Sushi Go!
Machi Koro
7 Wonders w/expansion
Tokaido w/expansion
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>>
File: pic2578828.png (141 KB, 214x300) Image search: [Google]
pic2578828.png
141 KB, 214x300
dis game
DIS GAME
So good.
The deluxe edition pieces really sold me on it too I don't think I could play it with the crappy standard edition anymore.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.