[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 2Mj3BzZ.jpg (84 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
2Mj3BzZ.jpg
84 KB, 500x667
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How do you relate D&Ds currency to players? I always explain everything in chickens, especially when people are talking about relative value of a thing. Then the DM is have the barkeep charge you 5gp for something I will almost always pipe in with "But thats 250 chickens worth!"
>>
>>47817980
>>47817437
Well, after further inspection the Mystic DOES share an awful lot of the Binder's play style. It just doesn't fit the flavor at all and is Int based instead of Cha. But that does seem like a better starting point than the warlock mechanically.

>>47819356
>5e doesn't really work well with the concept of abilities having costs for failure.
But that's where all the flavor is... Not to mention that the only cost is specifically an RP thing since it just gives you some disfigurement and a personality quirk.

I do see now though that it doesn't fit warlock mechanically even if it does fluffwise.
>>
>>47825390
Try these on for size.

>2: Your touch can temporarily transmute wood of one common variety into another, repair warps and bends, scarring, fire damage, rot, or inflict any of the same. This effect lasts one hour or until you lose concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

>6: As an action, you can cause plants to spring from a surface and become overgrown. The area effected must be contiguous, but can otherwise take any shape you desire. The plants are treated as difficult terrain, and optionally lightly obscured. You alter terrain in 5 square foot increments, and can alter a maximum of 5 square feet per your Wizard level times two per long rest. The plants wither after 10 minutes.
In case that's not clear, a level 6 Wizard can make 12 tiles of plants per long rest, spread out across however many actions he wants; it could be two tiles one time, four tiles the next, another four tiles a few minutes later, and finally two more tiles.

>10: As an action, you can bring about a permanent change in plantlife. Within mere instants, you can age a tree or other large individual plant many years and contort its growth as you desire, or reverse its size and age to a state in the distant past. Acting on general foliage, you can make an area equal to 5 square feet per Wizard level permanently overgrown (difficult terrain and lightly obscuring) or make a similarly hindering patch of plantlife easy to pass. You can also, instead, cause flowering trees and plants within an equal area to produce their associated fruits instantly, or double their yield if they were nearly in season. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>47826616
Just take the Mystic, turn all Int into Cha stuff, make up new rules for binding pacts, and replace the disciplines with bound entities. You're not making an archetype, you're making an entirely new class that's based on Mystic the same way Ranger or Barbarian are based on the Fighter.
>>
File: psych warning.png (3 MB, 866x1142) Image search: [Google]
psych warning.png
3 MB, 866x1142
whats the scariest thing thats ever happened in a game you played or ran?
>>
>>47826697
One of my players was actually a brony and a furry.
>>
>>47826697
I joined a game on Roll20 a few months back where one of the users was still using Windows Vista.
>>
File: ew_no.gif (2 MB, 275x154) Image search: [Google]
ew_no.gif
2 MB, 275x154
>>47826713
>>
File: whitestripedcharrpv1.png (1 MB, 758x600) Image search: [Google]
whitestripedcharrpv1.png
1 MB, 758x600
>>47826713
that IS horrifying
>>
CLEGANE BOWL
>>
What are some good advice columns and articles for more experienced DMs? There's a lot of stuff out there for new DMs that I've been reading, but a lot of that is common sense to me after 15 years. Still, I want to step up my game so what do I read or try now?
>>
I had a website but lost it, it had the stats of a ton of 5th edition monsters. Any ideas?
>>
>>47826808
After DMing that long I would look at other peoples created content, both to see what DMs people think are good are doing and to steal it and reduce your work load.

https://www.onepagedungeon.info/2016/

This is a list of dungeon contest winners, they are all one page and usually pretty creative and give experienced DMs a lot of leeway.

Other than that theangrydm is cool enough.
>>
>>47827185
Theangrydm is right about 50% of the time. I could write some angry rants about his angry rants.

The one page dungeons look nice though, thanks!
>>
>>47826697
A player showed up with a homebrew class because he didn't like the way any of the existing ones played.

It was a samurai with lots of anime style special moves, extra attribute bonuses, and no resources required to expend for anything.
>>
File: vistapls2.png (108 KB, 1231x409) Image search: [Google]
vistapls2.png
108 KB, 1231x409
>>47826724
Hi.
>>
>>47827414

I come from /a/ myself, and if I were you, I'd tell him he was a faggot and to play a Fighter like a sane person.
>>
>>47827565
For what reason
>>
>>47827661
I don't encounter problems with Vista, haven't hit a program that won't run under it yet (Discord was tricky, but I made it work), and every OS after it has a shittier version of MS Paint which requires modifying a lot of system files to get back (and is restored/undone the moment there is any kind of OS update or problem). Also, don't have to pay for an upgrade.
>>
>>47827694
>literally only advantages are mspaint and inertia
Well, more power to you I suppose.
>>
File: Bloodborne 5e.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne 5e.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47826490
Reposting this little bit I made for those who'd be interested in transforming weapons and whatnot
>>
>>47827865
Well, what are the advantages of 7/8/10 if I don't have a problem with Vista working to begin with?
>>
>>47828091
It's not really a big deal until April 2017 when security patches stop rolling out for Vista.
>>
I used Windows XP up until a few years ago. My laptop that I never use still has Vista on it as well. I don't see the big deal here. I heard a lot of bad things about Vista, but I never had any problems with it at all.
>>
>>47828256
Yeah if it works, it works. It's the rate at which it doesn't work that's the real issue.
>>
>>47828273

So, what? I just got lucky or something?
>>
>/5eg/ - Operating Systems
>>
>>47828380
It's just /tg/ being /tg/.

>>47828298
Little bit. It's not exactly a miracle that you didn't have a problem but enough people did.
>>
>>47828256
>>47828298
Story time! So when Vista released I was working at a big box electronics retailer. What happened was prior to Vista's release they were selling machines with WinXP and a 'Vista Ready' (or maybe 'Vista Compatible'?) sticker. They also promised a free upgrade to Vista if you bought a new machine within a certain time frame.

First thing I learned about selling laptops is the vast, vast majority of people (often parents) are going to buy the $300 craptop that is barebones for WinXP. Very different crowd than the slightly tech-savvy nerds that make up a decent portion of traditional game players. So you have these super cheap laptops with Vista rolling out or people taking the free upgrade from WinXP to Vista on machines that couldn't run it well. Additionally the default on Aero effects use the video card and laptops (especially cheap laptops) have terrible video cards. "Vista sucks, it's so slow compared to my computer with XP!"

All that aside Vista wasn't all that great from a technical and security standpoint when it released. The updates leading up to SP1 and especially SP2 were really important in improving it. People really hate on it but they forget how much of a gong show WinXP was before its first service pack. It happens every time and people are dumb and forgetful.

t. Former technician, and current MCP
>>
Anyone think the cantrip scaling could have been useful as a general power progression, for both magic and martial? I'm reminded of 4e tier improvements.
>>
>>47828523
>I'm reminded of 4e tier improvements.
That could very well be why they didn't do it.
>>
>>47828523
All the martials have power progression (more sneak attack die, higher Rage damage bonus) except Fighter. He's reliant entirely on archetypes. Second Wind's +FighterLevel is the wimpiest thing ever, and Action Surge remains the same. Their third and fourth attacks will almost never be relevant due to most parties just not getting that far. What's left? The extra feat at sixth level?
>>
File: 1464647268819.jpg (387 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
1464647268819.jpg
387 KB, 850x1100
/tg/ what's a good way of making an alchemist with minimal homebrewing? I have a player who went fighter and took the Tavern Brawler feat for profiency on throwing stuff like acid vials and alchemist's fires.
>>
File: crusader.jpg (90 KB, 633x950) Image search: [Google]
crusader.jpg
90 KB, 633x950
Pastingfromthread:

Hey I've gotten into a group of 4, I only know one other person will be a dwarf fighter and we're all going to be noobies, and I'm itching to play a Paladin. We're going to be playing Lost mines apparently.

I want to try and avoid lawful stupidness, being THAT GUY and being edgy / brooding in a corner, as a foremention.

So essentially, this guy lived in a small farming village, I was hoping for greek-like land but I couldn't find any near Neverwinter so I chose a little north of Amphali, which is 3 miles north of Waterdeep.So at 13 his father gets sent to hell via succubus. The paladin wants to get his father back, and at first tries the Bard College of Valor as he's heard the myth of Orpheus, but he fucking sucks at being a bard so after 3 years he quits and returns to his farm village, his mother has remarried and doesn't really seem to care about pally's father's disappearance, and with the help of the two little brothers of pally they keep a small farm.

He stays in village for 4 years, and in that time reads up on mythology and the Gods at the church either in the village or at Amphali, and has gotten I'd say in shape as he's been working the fields.

At 20, he sets out.. and I'm not sure how to connect this to becoming a paladin and being at the mines. I'm not sure how one becomes a paladin, how would a deity recognize him? How strong would my character be? I know you're supposed to be essentially luke skywalker at the beginning of 4, so does he only have leather armor on? Or would he already have plate mail?

Also is this backstory edgy? I didn't want to be generic hurr durr i've always been good, but I also hate feeling like I'm being an edgelord. Anyhow, what Deity would he follow, that would allow him to get his father out of hell? Also what if a CE rogue shows up? I don't want to just be an asshole and follow him around saying he can't do this or this, would I just try and offer peaceful methods of approach?
>>
>>47828653
>except Fighter
Extra attack counts, it's comparable to cantrips level progressions. Also battlemasters little tricks scale.

>>47828637
Honestly it's pretty close, it just lacks having it scale at all the same levels. The only real stickler is the spells, you get better ones as you level but a 1st level damage dealing spell soon falls behind a damaging cantrip.
>>
>>47828653
How about superiority dice size and Cantrips and crit chance? There's something in every subclass. Whether they are actually good or not is debatable though.
>>
> Tired of DMing with my friends, looking to play a 5e game for the first time with people i met on a pen & paper forum
> DM and his brother were playing a shitload of Warhammer and WoW Burning Crusade
> They are obsessed with rules and basically play the whole session like a theater of the mind wargame: in 8 hours of Out of the Abyss we fought 7 encounters, some of them pretty forced
> For instance when we sneaked up on a random drow priestess, DM forced us to play the whole encounter like a fight despite the fact that we were 5 PCs grappling, restraining and gagging her alone.
> He argues that in D&D you never can assassinate/cut someone's throat/take someone hostage because, and I quote, "a dagger only deals 1d4 damage"
> His brother agrees with him and refuses to deal non-lethal damage to the priestess so we can escape the camp safely by holding her hostage. Thus we have to fight yet another bunch of drows/quaggoths and only out DM playing like shit (basically throwing his drows in the barbarian's arms) keeps us from TPK

to be continued
>>
>>47828684
Thief rogue. Use fast hands to use items as a bonus action.
Apothecary/Alchemist set to make simple potions, acids, bombs, etc.
Medkits as well.
Be the doctor.
>>
>>47828747
continued

> At this point, 7 hours in, DM's brother complains that "his character's build doesn't make sense" and wants to change character. Everyone is waiting for him to make up his mind for half an hour. I suggest that we could finish this session with this character and he could change for the next session. He finally decides to keep the same character.
> After the first 8 hours of session and since we have to stop at 10, DM forces us to go into some weird dungeon despite the fact that we're supposedly being chased and tracked down by drows and shit
> After basically throwing the boss encounter of his dungeon he gives a +2 weapon (dawnbringer) to his brother because "it fits his character"
> DM also showers us in rewards and gold for the littlest things because "it's funner this way". We already have 6 magic items and 250gp in one session and we're all level 4
> At this point I'm pretty sure we're never going to have a challenging encounter ever
> DM called me twice this week already to ask me if I'm willing to host another game in july, I don't have the strength to answer

should i, /tg/ ?
could it get better ?
so many red flags...
>>
>>47828732
I think Superiority Dice do the best job at staying relevant throughout the game. You can never not benefit from advantage and adding extra die to attack and damage rolls.
>>
>>47828777
I'd DM at that point. You can't possibly do worse.
>>
Is lead generally considered a magica insulator? Does it require a lot of lead for it to take affect? I'm curious as I'm trying to determine weather or not bullets should be able to be enchantable or not.
>>
>>47828747
>>47828777

What the FUCK? Level 4 is ONE session? I've done ten sessions of OotA and we're only now level 4. Well, granted, we'll probably hit level 5 tomorrow, but still.

>A dagger only deals 1d4

Your DM is a faggot and is ruining OotA for you. Leave. OotA is amazing and doesn't deserve to be tarnished by his faggotry.
>>
>>47828777
>>47828747
Little brothers are a plague upon role-playing groups. Either the older brother dotes on the younger one, the younger one just agrees with everything the older one says, or both. And they will both defend the other ones that guy type behavior.
>>
>>47828829
Maybe. You could say it holds a charge anyways though. Maybe say lead is suitable for a temp damage bonus but you'd need embedded magical materials for anything fancy.
>>
>>47828874

Eh...my brother and I play in our Wednesday game, and I've tried to avoid doing that. Granted, we may strategize to help one another out, but we also help the rest of the group.
>>
>>47828725
>Extra Attack counts
You get the third at 11. Pretty much no one gets to fucking 11. And now that I'm looking at it again, Barbs don't really scale, either. Rage Damage starts at +2 and doesn't hit +3 until level 9, and stays there until 16. They're stuck with 4 rages from 6 to 12.

Superiority Die only noticeably improve at 7. That's when you get two extra moves and an extra die. The damage doesn't go up (and only then by a HUGE d2) until 10.

Compared to full casters which are getting additional spell slots every level and whole new tiers every other on top of more archetype features, more class features, and spell damage scaling options (using higher slots) it's easy to feel underwhelmed by the general sense of power progression with martial classes. Fighter in particular is heavily front-loaded, and that level 7 improvement to their archetypes is one of those "utility" ribbon deals but winds up being so fucking bad that not only can every other class attempt it anyway, it's pretty much never going to be useful to you in the first place. At least Barbarians can see for a mile around.

But it's hard to do anything to Fighters to rectify this without nerfing their early game or making them overpowered. They just have to deal with being boring schmucks.
>>
>>47828804
Yeah but i mean, would YOU dm for these guys? I think current DM would be OK with me DMing but I'm not sure i want him, and ESPECIALLY his brother, as players.

Plus I kinda wanted to be a player for once. And I still got to do some fun shit in this session, as a bard...
>>
>>47828723
Is this the wrong place to be asking this?
>>
>>47828917
Dude, we're comparing class features to cantrip scaling, not to spell level progression.
>>
>>47828829
Many spells which involve far-sensing are explicitly blocked by certain amounts of materials. They'll say something like "you can't sense what's beyond two feet of wood, one foot of stone, four inches of metal, or one inch of lead".

But they're talking general density and stuff. There's nothing explicitly anti-magic about lead or denser materials, they're just blocking whatever natural phenomenon like radiation that the sensing magic happens to be utilizing to get its effect across (the difference between "magic sound waves" giving you sonar and "natural sound waves formed by magic").
>>
>>47828921
That's the only way I see salvaging the situation, outside of leaving them entirely. Your skills at 'tard wrangling I can't know from here.
>>
>>47826616
Yo. how would you do the shadowcaster?

i believe it would make most sense with the warlock casting progression and spells per short rest, though the pacts are a bit... lackluster. any ideas on an ability to replace pacts or a way to reflavor pacts in a way that fits the shadowcaster?
>>
>>47829013
Tell you what, describe the shadowcaster in an efficient way and we'll base class features on how you describe it.
>>
>>47828723
I think backstory is OK. "Hell via succubus" is a decent band name and I like the mother remarrying and not giving a fuck anymore - it's uncommon in backstories, yet it feels realistic: people, especially women I'd say, move on.

I think you have to make him find faith somehow. Maybe he's enslaved, or he simply has to find some shitty work (the mines themselves, perhaps?) that makes him realize life is tough and some people gets the absolute worse end of the stick.

I think when you're making a character in 5e you almost always want to think about your subclass from the get go. With Paladins especially, knowing what Oath he'd take would make smithing your backstory easier. If he's really stubborn about saving his father from hell, maybe Avenger would be better.

I don't think your DM should allow characters with very opposite alignments in the same party, but don't forget that a paladin in 5e isn't tied to Loyal Good either.

Just my $.5
>>
>>47829098
Any idea with which deity he should follow? I'm unfamiliar with the multiverse as I'm a first timer.
>>
>>47829098
>two whole quarters
Look at Uncle fucking Moneybags over here, boys.
>>
>>47829057

Shadowcaster, as described in tome of Magic, was unique in that shadow magic isn't actually like regular magic. You had fundamentals which were kind of like cantrips and you have Mysteries which had themes about them and the way it worked was in order to advance in the mystery you had to go from first to the next one and the way it worked you started by casting mysteries like spells, then like spell like abilities, then as supernatural abilities I believe if I remember correctly.

For prestige classes, one of the stand out ones is the Nocturnemancer which was based around controlling the "shadow" of magic such as dispelling spells, making yourself immune to a spell you were affected by or recharging the uses of your mysteries.

I'd think to translate it into 5th it'd take it's quese from the mystic where mysteries functioned like disciplines excpet you had a resource to spend on them like spell points or superiority dice or something.
>>
File: depressed sandpaper triangle.jpg (35 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
depressed sandpaper triangle.jpg
35 KB, 500x376
>>47826490
>Playing a paladin
>get sent on deadly quest by the king
>offered one of two escorts, a caravan of mercenaries or a select few of the king's guard
>Friendly with the head of the king's guard, ask him in private if there's any from my church amongst his ranks he could select
>says he can
>get provided with a cleric, fighter and ranger as escort
>DM asks me to roll perception to see if I recognised the cleric
>I do from passing him on occasion and we get friendly quick
>2 months later I find out he and the others have nothing to do with muh god at all

Turns out the church I went to that city to train under was actually some sort of superchurch which had all sorts of religions under it and that they were picked out at random. It wouldn't be an issue plot wise really, but I'd been taking sermons with them, buried one with some religious items and the king's guard does have a load of members of my religion in it to pick from anyway.

No more religion m8s ;_;
>>
>>47829057
alright.

so a shadowcaster is very similar to a sneaky wizard but with multiple ability dependency. in 3.5 this was split between Int and Cha, with Int limiting max spells and Cha for save DCs.

Furthermore, a major feature of the class was its ability to warp regular magic through its connection to the plane of shadow, thus they do not cast spells per say, instead they cast 'mysteries'. cantrips are fundamentals of shadow that are slightly stronger cantrips. mystery progression was very different from regular spellcasting as per wizard or sorcerer, however. This progression gave the shadowcaster irregular boosts in power when they are first able to cast 4th and 7th level mysteries. This was due in part from a significant power boost in lower tiered/leveled mysteries becoming spell like abilities, or supernatural as higher tier mysteries are unlocked. Thus, 7th-9th level mysteries will always be cast as spells, 4th-6th are cast as spell likes, and 1st-3rd are cast as supernatural abilities, with each tier gaining an additional use per day.
>>
>>47829178
>continued

Mysteries themselves were broken into 'paths' with bonus features or feats becoming available depending whether the shadowcaster chose many different paths or specialized in one or two, further differentiating shadowcasters from regular spellcasters.
>>
>>47828874
Yeah I wasn't expecting that from people in their forties, but I gotta say the DM going back on his multiclass ban TWICE because of his brother's indecision was... yet another red flag. Ugh.

>>47828862
I've heard/read great things about OotA and I was very eager to play it. As a DM I usually go with milestones for leveling up, and try not to make people level up in the middle of a session since it's a bit annoying for some people. Our barbarian basically had to wait an hour throughout the session because our warlock and I had to pick our spells.

I guess the best thing about this whole experience was the confidence boost for my DMing (^:
>>
>>47829158
Yea I'd say you have the right of it. But I wouldn't try basing anything on the current mystic, at least a draft of the full version is necessary to be decent. Going on without that would be tricky.
>>
>>47829251

That's if they ever get around to doing the mystic. I'm afraid the grognands may have moaned and made other weird noises enough that it doesn't fit their medievel europenis settings or maybe they are taking their time before they come out with the splats for Dark Sun and we'll see Mystic in all it's 20 level glory.
>>
>>47829328
I dunno, psionics are established enough that there should be enough grognard support. And if anything the mystic take on it is even more medieval fantasy themed than before.

But it'll probably take forever to get it right.
>>
>>47829146
Speaking as someone with an encyclopaedic knowledge of FR religion, you're gonna have to give us more character personality and backstory if you want a God that's tailored to that.

I can tell you that Tyr (JUSTICE) is popular in Neverwinter, while the big Waterdhavian Gods are mostly magic-oriented (and Tempus [1v1 ME FAGGOT], but he's an asshole). Other popular gods in the region (but not really concentrated in various cities) are Tymora (get lucky), Lathander (get jacked and smile about the sun), and Chauntea (Mother Earth).

Torm (LOYALTY) and Ilmater (help the lepers) round out the usual Paladin Trifecta with Tyr. Helm (guard stuff) is close, too, and probably the coolest dude of them all because he chills out and gets the job done without being a crazy bitch about stuff. Tangentally related to Tempus is Red Knight (play chess and study battlefield tactics) but she's boring as shit and every character following her winds up the same.

While you can have any deity (or none at all) as a Paladin now, there's not a whole lot left for humans. Of those that traditionally allowed Paladins while the LG and One Step rules were in effect, you have Eldath (don't fight, sit by the lake), Mielekki (unicorns!), Kelemvor (...eh), Kossuth (FIRE), and Savras/Azuth/Deneir/Mystra, which are all various flavors of "magic".
>>
>>47829146
You can use Player's Handbook, Appendix B (page 293 to 299) along with the forgotten realms wiki to find a god for him.

Honestly it depends of how he finds faith, makes him realize that the Divines are important. You could work with your DM to find something good that you'd both like to play with - with your character(s) and through the plot.

One way of seeing things, to me, is that a Cleric is someone that's raised in the holy orders. It's kind of his profession, it's kind of his routine.
A Paladin, without necessarily being a fanatic, is someone that got "strucked" with it. One day something happened and, ever since, he's kinda obsessed with the questions that "something" raised... And he can't see himself fighting for - or against - anything else.

Obviously that's one way of seeing it and it's probably not even a good one. I'm just spitballing here.
>>
>>47829374
>>47829368
>>47829098
Thanks for the help, I'm working on some JS right now but later I'll try and fix the backstory. How long / fleshed out are backstories generally?
>>
>>47828080
great stuff friend, keep it up!
>>
>>47829345

Yeah, hopefully it'll make people less squeamish to allow them in their homebrew settings as well.
>>
I thought you guys might like this. A buddy of mine used these stats for his Sorc:

In order from Str to Cha. He's now lamenting that his Mage Armor gives him no armor. I keep making fun of him for fucking up so bad. How much would you guys make fun of him?
>>
>>47829542
What are you on about? Mage armor increases his armor class by three.
>>
>>47829542
But Mage Armor does give him armor.
>>
I thought you guys might like this. A buddy of mine used these stats for his Barb:

In order from Str to Cha. He's now lamenting that his Greatsword gives him no damage. I keep making fun of him for fucking up so bad. How much would you guys make fun of him?
>>
>>47829542
Is his subclass dragon sorcerer? That'd be the only way mage armor is useless.

>>47829618
Now *you're* just trolling.
>>
>>47829586
>>47829598

Not enough to avoid being hit LOL

>>47829618

At least your barb ain't dyin' like a bitch every encounter lmao

>Completely missing the point

>>47829634

Storm Sorc. At least he gets a free disengage on spell casts, otherwise he'd have invoked the Dark Gift multiple times by now.
>>
I thought you guys might like this. A buddy of mine used these stats for his Druid:

In order from Str to Cha. He's now lamenting that his Shillelagh gives him no AB. I keep making fun of him for fucking up so bad. How much would you guys make fun of him?
>>
I thought you guys might like this. A buddy of mine used these stats for his OC race:

In order from Str to Cha. He's now lamenting that his race only let's him do x4 crit damage on 15+. I keep making fun of him for fucking up so bad. How much would you guys make fun of him?
>>
>>47829542
>>47829618
>>47829659
u
>>
>>47829659

>lol casters R teh best cuz they never get hit

You're a retard.
>>
>>47829695
He's just trying to birth a shitty meme, ignore him.
>>
I thought you guys might like this. A buddy of mine used these stats for his Rogue:

In order from Str to Cha. He's now lamenting that his rapier doesn't do any damage. I keep making fun of him for fucking up so bad. How much would you guys make fun of him?
>>
>>47829445
No problem.
I'd say if you're going out of your way to ask for tips you're already working more than enough on your backstory. It's difficult to say though, because it usually depends on your DM and on your party. Some DM really like being able to use their PC's backstory. Some DM absolutely give no shit and only care about their scenario. Both styles have their drawbacks, and you usually can't really do anything about it anyway.

I'd say: add a traumatic event, something not too cheesy about religion, and you're good to go. As the sessions go, you'll get opportunities to flesh it out more. It's pretty good I think to stay vague about your backstory, because you may use that sometimes, and come up with improvisational tidbits that'll help you in game. It has to be done reasonably and without forcing the DM's hand thoug.

For instance, one of my players once suddenly mentioned that her character was very good at fishing because she used to spend her free time by the riverside. Obviously she didn't tell me about that beforehand, and obviously she needed the advantage on that damn roll - but why would I care? It helped flesh out her character's background and made her character look great, it helped my storytelling, and it helped another of my PC to not drown like a fucking idiot.
Everybody wins.
>>
>>47829695
>Anon wants to laugh at his dumb friend
>it turns out Anon is the dumb one
Are you trying to secretly kill the Druid in your AL game, too?
>>
>>47829724
Rapier uses dex..
>>
>>47828723
Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. A sleek, simple backstory is usually better since no one else cares about your character as much as you do and you want to give them less to remember. E.g. does his mother's remarriage affect him in a way that his father being sent to hell does/could not?

My personal rule of thumb is basically to tell as much about my character as I'd put on their profile for a dating site.
>where they're from
>what they do/did for a living
>any hobbies?
>personality?
>their best anecdote

As for being Lawful Good, a good angle is being like a parent who just wants what's best for their child (except your child is everyone). Disapprove of the rogue stealing stuff, let him off with a warning the first time, tell him if he ever does it again you'll be forced to take action.

Beyond that, suggest taking on quests that help the needy ahead of quests that pay well; always try to be the responsible one, bringing more potions than you need and not taking risks with other people's safety; and look for lawful-good solutions to problems, so if a noble has an important plot item, see if it's possible to negotiate for it before you try to steal it.
>>
>>47829724

>Rapier with +5 to hit and +3 damage does no damage

>>47829759

In what way is laughing at my buddy for having 13 AC after a spell slot me being dumb? He spends most of every encounter rolling death saves.

>LMAO THAT MAKES U TEH DUMB NOT HIM

/tg/ in a nutshell folks. I should have expected such retardation.
>>
Dear /tg/,

I only recently realized that AC is treated like a DC and you don't have to beat it, matching it is still a hit.

Love,
Idiot.
>>
Hey guys im looking for some help, im running an 8 man campaign and they all said they want to go to a volcano. trouble is i cant think of what they would fight that is out of the norm, like i could have em fight mercs and orcs but they do that else were and i feel like they wouldn't care for that. so do any of y'all have any suggestions on what i should pit them against or any idea in general with volcano and lava?
>>
>>47829882
fire.. anything?

fire-orcs
fire-mercs
fire elementals
fire giants
fire beatles
fire table settings
fire W-2 forms
>>
>>47829882
Some ice based being that is eating the heat and gaining power
>>
>>47829882
Salamanders, Azers, Efreet, Fire Giants, Magma Mephits
>>
File: 2016-06-17_20-38-07.png (4 KB, 292x94) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-17_20-38-07.png
4 KB, 292x94
I'm in hell.
>>
>>47828967
And if anything, it's only anti-Divination. Imbuing bullets with magic would probably be Abjuration (or possibly Evocation or Transmutation or whatever you want the bullet to do).
>>
>>47829978
...There's gotta be a rule that you gain a minimum of one hit point, right?
>>
>>47829965
that would be a funny boss
>>47829944
i figured i could do that, wasn't sure if i should though
>>47829966
thanks ill take that into account
>>
File: binderexample.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
binderexample.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47826616
Here's the example I made in the last thread. Just a 15 minute mockup of templates. If you want the possibility of fucking things up, make it an optional rule, like how it already is for familiars.
>>
>>47829801
I'll explain it for you, since the other guy's beyond help.

He posted a story ridiculing his friend for casting Mage Armor, presumably while not having a lot of Dexterity. What he failed to realize is that Mage Armor doesn't care what your Dexterity is. You get +3 AC. If you have 10 Dex, this puts you at 10. If you have 14 Dex, this puts you at 15. If you have 18 Dex, you've got 17. It's +3 either way.

The joke here is that he's failing to understand how the spell works, the same way that someone who laughs at a high Dex character using a finesse weapon for "no AB" is failing to understand that you can use your Dex instead of Strength with a finesse weapon. Now he's trying to cover his ass by pretending that a flat 13 is somehow unplayable for a ranged character.

If he wanted us to laugh at his friend, all he had to say was "he's playing a Tiefling", because that's the only way you get that kind of stat spread with point buy (Half-Elf gets an extra stat point).
>>
>>47830000
Yeah not sure what form that ice thing can take, maybe a weird demon or freakish elemental.

Also, check'd
>>
>>47829995
The healing section doesn't mention it specifically, but I assume so
>>
>>47830022
Actually according to >>47829656 it's just a matter of it not being enough for most purposes.
>>
>>47829882
Azers are pretty nice.
I used one as level1 boss encounter, who was forced to melt his blacksmith brethren after forging an entire mech army.

His lower body was welded with his workbench and he could only stay there and forge. He went insane with the voices of his brothers and used shitty golems, steam clouds and lava pits against the players. Levers and platforms were sprinkled throughout the forge to make it a bit more interesting.

It was nice. I'll use it again soon against higher level PCs I think.
>>
>>47830034
As far as I can tell they forgot to include such language
>>
>>47830046
Yeah, that's the covering part.
He's not a frontliner, he's not getting attacked multiple times every round, he has spell reaction options to save him from hits. He'll be fine.

If he's getting killed every combat, that's poor positioning on his part or a DM who is going out of his way to have (intelligent) creatures target him.
>>
>>47829812
I suppose I am overthinking it, I just didn't want to be a generic lawful stupid paladin. I was actually just planning on having the paladin be sort of generic at a glance and as the campaign goes on reveal more of it, such as him taking up a journal of every monster he's slain so that he can "visit them in hell", I'm pretty sure the party will just think I'm being hyperbolic or righteous, but I'd actually visit them. I'd say the mother bit also explains sort of why he left, no one else seemed to care that his dad was sent to hell. Still need to think of an event that triggers Paladinhood, and the date profile things.
>>
i cant find in the rulebook
is it possible to multiclass, the same class?
it would be useless for many of them, and maybe broken for a few, but i dont see much of a problem being say, tempest cleric 5, nature cleric 7
you'd get full class progression, but only partial specialization progression
like i said though, it could theoretically be pretty broken
>>
>>47830181
No
>>
>>47830024
>>47829965
Maybe the monster isn't gaining power from it, but he's just "using" heat for some twisted, masochistic pleasure.
It's hard getting off when you're a Remorhazes.
>>
>>47830022

Are you retarded? For the preaching this thread does about bounded accuracy, are you really this stupid? This guy gets hit with 8 rolls. Gimme a fuckin' break here with your reddit faggotry.
>>
>>47828862
>dagger on deals 1d4

But he is right, it's hard to assassinate someone with a dagger when it does so little damage
>>
>>47830239
Not even the guy before. But its time to drop it.
>>
>>47830264

Well then, there's no need to ever worry about a king being assassinated, since daggers only deal 1d4 damage. The ides of March would never happen.
>>
>>47828747
You would complain if 5 guards slit the throat of your high level cleric because "there are 5 of them its realistic"
>>
>>47830291
Heaven forbid if players and npcs are held to different mechanics
>>
>>47830287

I am just never not surprised by the lengths of utter stupidity /tg/ will stoop to. I don't even see this kind of retardation when the other boards I go to are being raided by /b/. /tg/ is more retarded than raiding /b/fags. You dipshits really need to get your priorities straight.
>>
>>47830288
That was like ten guys.
>>
>>47828777
>"it's funner this way"
fucking pleb couldn't even say "More fun"

Abandon ship. Whole crew is retarded.
>>
>>47830315

So? The king's not a commoner. He ain't wearin' rags. He ain't got 4 HP. What's your fuckin' point? Ten 1d4 daggers ain't gonna do shit to Caesar.
>>
>>47828080
>Both states may use their combined Strength and Dexterity modifiers for damage rolls

Trash. How the fuck did you think this was a good idea?
>>
>>47830239
And when you're fighting wooly mammoths (only CR 6), the Fighter with 18 AC is also getting hit on a roll of 8. What of it?

AB may not scale up into infinity anymore, but it's almost always going to outpace that of pure casters. These are not guys getting +X robes thrown at them, yanking +AC rings and cloaks from the frontline combatants, or using +X shields. They get a variety of ways to boost their basic AC to 13 before Dex and from that point on it's pretty much "pump Dex or get left behind".

But it's not a problem because they're not supposed to be putting themselves in a position to get hit. This is where you bring up your spastic HURRRRRR IMPLYING CASTERS NEVER OR CAN'T GET HIT bullshit again, which isn't what anyone is saying to begin with.

Missing 2-3 AC at what I'm going to assume is already a low level is not the deal breaker for a back line class that you seem to imagine. Do you sperg out about classes with shield proficiency that use two-handed weapons? Maybe instead of ridiculing your "friend" like a little chickenshit and trying to get the rest of us to giggle alongside you, you should use your oh-so-superior knowledge of game mechanics to help him out so he stops making what you consider enormous fun-ruining mistakes. Dumbass.
>>
>>47830298
Either it was the CR 2 Drow Priest NPC and you could kill her in half a round OR it it was the 10th level cleric Drow Priestess who is CR8 and a gang of level 1s really shouldnt be able to kill her with a knife using an action

Either way you have nothing to complain about.
>>
>>47830333
A noble has 9 hp. 10 nobles hitting dealing 1d4+1 damage have a 100% chance of killing
>>
>>47830408
Yes, for some reason people are conflating class levels and social power.
>>
>>47830386
Fair enough. I was arguing for the principle, mostly.
>>
>>47830315
>>47830333
>>47830408
He was stabbed 23 times.

That's ~58 damage.
>>
>>47830264
An Assassin does two attacks and adds poison damage to each and sneak attack to one. If he hits with both the avg dam is 71
>>
>>47830376

>2-3 AC

You mean 4-5 AC right? Of course you don't, since you don't actually play the game. You sound like some stupid cunt stuck on earlier editions. Go back to your fucking early editions if you are this incapable of adapting.

>ONLY CR6

Sorry your DM coddles you like the infantile little shit you are.
>>
>>47830408
On the subject of nobles, the last time I used that statblock is when an artificer decided to assassinate some nobles to frame his rival.

It was at a dinner. The rugs came to life, grabbed the guests, and jumped into the fireplace. One went running for the harbor, and the PCs forgot about it.

there were survivors
>>
You know, if five PCs are grappling one human-sized creature, I'm kind of wondering how this person is supposed to accomplish anything. Presumably each of their limbs is being held down by a separate person entirely, and then there's someone sitting on their face or chest.

While there may not be any mechanical rules for this, it seems to me that the ~verisimilitude-minded~ (or at least fun-minded) DM might throw you a fucking bone at this point. Or are we back to the "you can't stop verbal spellcasting because there's no rules to gag people" examples of the last thread?
>>
>>47830264
I don't have my PDFs handy, but doesn't 5e have some kind of coup de grace rule?
>>
>>47830465
>Missing 2-3 AC at what I'm going to assume is already a low level
Please learn to read. Should all Sorcerers or Wizards come into the world with 18-20 Dexterity or get there by level 4?

And what's with the coddling remark? If you're implying a more ruthless or "better" DM would be throwing much higher CR creatures at the party, then you're looking at even more AB which is only going to have an easier time hitting your Fighter anyway. The only way to avoid the monsters' accuracy outpacing your AC, since AC can be capped with equipment relatively early on, is to throw an extra +1's worth of magical AC at every frontliner in the party each time you get to a point where average monster AB has increased. Now THAT would be coddling.

Are you pretending to be retarded right now or what? There's no one who's going to read this argument between us and think that you're the more reasonable and right guy here.
>>
What happens if a chromatic dragon male knocks up a metallic female? I was thinking of having a plot hook in a campaign be taking care of a dragon wyrmling. I haven't thought a lot about it yet, but I think players having to manage (and teach) a dangerous beast like that might be interesting.

Thoughts on the whole thing?
>>
>>47830549
Nope.
>>
>>47830549
a helpless target is autocrit, that's about the extent of it.
>>
>>47830559
I was under the impression that true dragons are intelligent from the day they hatch and take care of themselves.
>>
>>47830549
The closest you get is the Paralysis and Unconscious conditions.
All attacks have advantage, and any hit delivered from within 5 feet is an automatic critical.
>>
>>47830590

Intelligent, sure, but capable of taking care of themselves? Eh, I dunno. But I'm willing to handwave that part if the lore doesn't agree with me there.
>>
>>47830474
Basically that's what happened, and our DM got desperate but he couldn't really do shit because we made sure he knew what we were doing each turn.

The thing is, he coulda thrown us a bone. He just didn't have to throw us the normally-CR8-drow-priestess-bone, along with all of her treasures. He just fucked up again.

>>47830386
It was the CR8 one by the way, and we were lvl2. Not that it changes anything. He rolled terribly to escape our restrain-grapples each turn, two of us made sure to keep her gagged each turn, and since she (apparently and according to him) can't do anything with her bonus action, she was pretty much "done for".

But that's OK. Even if that happens that's not the end of the world.
And if you really don't want her to die at this point, there was a myriad of things he coulda done.
And he still coulda swapped her for the CR2 since noone knew how powerful she was to begin with. Instead he whined, gave us her treasure, and an incredible amount of XP.

>>47830470
I love animated things.
>>
>>47830590
>true dragons are intelligent from the day they hatch
yes
>take care of themselves
that could be argued. most likely yes, but theres alot of reasons your dm could easily turn dragons into nurturers, or vice versa
some snakes in the wild literally HAVE to abandon their nests, because if they are there when the eggs hatch, they have the urge to eat them.
apply that to evil dragons, and now metallic dragons raise their young to properly ward off both adult and fledgling chromatics, and evil dragons plan ahead to abandon their babys/lairs when they need to
>>
>>47830632
When my PCs eventually confronted the rug-building articifer after fighting through his legion of constructs, they were totally surprised when his rug popped up and dragged the sorcerer into the fire.

they couldn't help because they all failed their save against his MIND BLAST
>>
>>47830559
I think that might be more fun as a montage in an episode of a fantasy TV show than in an actual campaign.

For example, what does it do during combat? Does one of the players control it or does the DM have one more thing to track? And there's finding the middle ground between "it doesn't really affect the story" versus "its rambunctious dominates the game's events for the duration of its tumultuous youth".

I guess it could maybe work, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
>>
File: templar.jpg (64 KB, 645x403) Image search: [Google]
templar.jpg
64 KB, 645x403
Alright, I reworked the backstory a tad.

Guy has lives in a small farming village just a mile or two north of Amphali, which itself is about 3 miles above Waterdeep. At 13, his father gets sent to hell via succubus, and he wants him back. At first, he tries the Bard College of Valor, he had an inheritance from his father, as he's heard the myth of Orpheus, but after 2 years of trying he realizes he'll never be as good as Orpheus and gives up.

He decides to return to the farm village, and after a few months of working he realizes they don't really need his help as his two younger brothers are old enough to work with the new father, and the mother remarried and doesn't seem to care about pally's father's disappearance. He decides to be taken under the Clergy's wing, which don't really have a large hold on his town, and so he moves to Amphali and studies mythology and the Gods, hoping to find one that can help him get back his father. He does as the clergy asks, but he receives no divine message, so at 17 he quits the clergy and starts to protect caravans going between Amphalia, a few other towns, and Waterdeep. At 19, he begins to guard the road on Sword's coast, and at 20 he realizes that the caravan he's protecting is full of alchemic fire, which will be used to siege out a walled village just outside daggerford. He doesn't do anything, as it would be 11 vs 1, and feels a rage while walking back to Waterdeep.

I hope this didn't get edgier, again trying to avoid that, but I'm still unsure on character traits, bonds, flaws and deity. The only things I could come up with were calculated/fearful and indecisive. I guess I should just go with Tyr, just seems such an arbitrary choice at this point, although I have until Level 3 to make it right?

Anyhow, can you guys help me with character personality? I'm bad at this sort of stuff, not a great writer. Also can't really think of many hobbies, I'd guess reading? Also sorry if this is annoying.
>>
>>47830681

I would be basically using it as a DMPC. It would probably have a cat-like personality, being curious about everything but not really knowing what's what.

Yes, I do realise I'd have to be very careful about not stealing the spotlight from the players, but I think I could make it work. The dragon would of course accrue XP with the players so as not to be a complete pushover in combat.
>>
>>47830663
>rug-building
im now imagining a retarded artificer using a hammer to cobble together threads and make a rug
>>
>>47830723
He had some of those magic pigments, which he used to mass-produce cheap rugs and such.
>>
>>47830721
If it's crossbred you could rule that it's unusual in it's behavior, otherwise dragons have a very strong nature that would prevent it from being led around.

On the other hand, depends on the setting. Your dragons may be born as near helpless babes and that's fine.
>>
>>47830779

Yeah, I'll go with a halfbreed specifically because I want to avoid the "ah, it's colour X, so it'll do Y" problem. There's no real point with having it at all if its actions are completely predictable.
>>
>DM Out of the Abyss with a few friends
>most are unfamiliar with the setting but are warned how vicious drow are
>one of my players tries to slug a guard in a half-baked escape attempt
>knock him out with poison and have the guards warn him not to try it again
>he tries it again
>guards feed him to the spiders
>entire group is livid and swears off tabletop games forever

Did I go too far? This wasn't their first rodeo.
>>
>>47830747
>now he's using a hammer to paint
even better
>>
>>47830824

Completely justified. Although there might be a gap between the kind of game DM wants to run and what the players want to play. If they wanted a happy world of make-believe and you threw them a gritty realistic one, then you both are at fault for not communicating properly.
>>
>>47830824
good riddance.
>hurr durr imma punch the drow who outnumber me, love to inflict pain, and view me little more than dirt that can perform manual labor. I is the smarterest!
>>
>>47830824
Drow are never a good idea.

The people who enjoy Drow make everything unenjoyable for everyone else.
The people who don't enjoy Drow, well, don't enjoy them.
>>
>>47830825
No, no. He was a mind flayer. He was finger-painting. With his face.
>>
>>47830824
You damn well know you didn't go too far. Either you're not telling us the full story and your PCs just don't want to play with you, or they're pretty fucking idiotic.

In any case, the drows wouldn't normally give a warning, they'd just feed the spiders on first offence. I guess that's the "risk" with OotA where you have to choose between playing drows and managing the PCs' feelings.

> entire group is livid and swears off tabletop games forever
> this wasn't their first rodeo
So they know how fun tabletop can be, but they swore it off because one of them got killed very early on?

What.
>>
>>47830820
Thing is, standard evil and good dragons have an awful lot of overlap in behavior. The most personable dragons are frightfully proud and independent.
>>
>>47830864
>he is now using his tentacles to hold tiny hammers and paint with multiple at a time
even better again
>>
>>47830893

Yes, and I want this thing to be impressionable by the players.
>>
>>47830921
someone call the drawthread
>>
>>47830890
>Either you're not telling us the full story and your PCs just don't want to play with you, or they're pretty fucking idiotic.

Both. I constantly shit on all but one of my players for being idiots. Other great moments are them questioning why they're in jail after attacking a store clerk, getting upset that they're ambushed by druids after killing a member of their circle in cold blood, confused as to why they're pariahs after eating the remains of goblins in open sight, and shocked to discover that petting a giant crocodile is very dangerous.

They always try to play it off like they were just joking.
>>
>>47830660
dude, i wouldn't compare dragons to snakes to their faces. your post might be factual accurate, but just... take my advice
>>
>>47830632
Should have just had her summon a yochlol or kill people with her scourge
>>
>>47831045
well obviously, but theres not much else i could think of that has fully functional babies, that also come from eggs
>>
>>47830820
Different color dragons dont and can't breed
>>
>>47831141
Nonsense, dragons can breed with anything.
>>
>>47831093
yeah. i imagine dragons WOULD eat their young if they were around for that, desu. metallic dragons included imo because i always imagined while they were slightly nicer in general, they were still dragons at their core. plus i like to imagine non human races to be really non human and not subject to our morality about things.
>>
>>47831154
A polymorphed dragon can and in that case its simply the raw magical force of a dragon which results in half dragons

At the MOST the more powerful dragon of the pair will determine the color and nature not a mix

This is magic not genetics
>>
>>47831198
>eat their young
>eat the extremely rare extremely hard to conceive and potentially milennia long lifespan young
>the parents and child are both intelligent and free thinking

U r so dumb
>>
>>47830923
Then you gotta play out this to it's logical conclusion. Captured dragon eggs are valuable and will be raised into loyal servants and mounts from time to time.
>>
File: 1465287785676.jpg (108 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1465287785676.jpg
108 KB, 500x377
>>47831238
no u
>>
>>47831238
>They always try to play it off like they were just joking.
If that's the fluff, sure. Eating their young may not make much sense for an intelligent species, but if they lay lots of eggs the clutchmates may cannibalize the weaker of the group.
>>
>>47831296
Plus dragons are known to hate each other. Idk.
>>
>>47831207

You're talking out of your arse and trying to pass it off as fact. That's cute.

But yes, you're right in a way, because the spawn will be a half-dragon. Half metallic and half chromatic.
>>
>>47831318
They get over it long enough to mate, no reason parental instincts don't play a role too.
>>
>>47831207
Just pull up the 4e draconomicon and go by that. It has rules for all of this, I believe.
>>
What's the best martial class to mix with two levels of moon druid for a powerful CR1 transformation? Is it ranger, to capitalize on the ability to regenerate wildshape hp with spell slots?
>>
>>47831340
WELL WHO CAN SAY THEY AREN'T REAL.

and lots of things, humans included, have kids and then abandon them
>>
>>47830613
>>47830660
>capable of taking care of themselves? debatable
Motherfucker look at the CR and stats of the dragon wyrmlings. The red dragon wyrmling in particular.
These things can kill armed soldiers immediately.
>>
>>47831359
This is 5e not 4e
>>
>>47831476

Wyrmlings are "5 years or less". Obviously they don't just turn into youngs overnight when they hit 6, so I'm just going to say that newborn dragons aren't as powerful as wyrmlings.
>>
>>47831485
nice meme bro
>>
>>47831485
Doesn't mean the fluff isn't usable.
>>
>>47828747
>>47828777
wtf

how

why
>>
>>47826697

>Lost Mines campaign.

>Death by Venomfang because DM was trigger happy with things that'd instagib us for the most part.

>He rolled that retarded max damage dragon breath.

RIP

>>47827414

Got a link to this "homebrew"? I could use a laugh.
>>
File: 1466103817288.jpg (13 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
1466103817288.jpg
13 KB, 246x246
>preparing to run a lvl 10 campaign tomorrow
>made it with for 5 people but party is complaining about no tank
>decide I'll run a npc barbarian to get this shit rolling
>yesterday one of the guys texts me saying he doesnt want to play anymore and we haven't even started
>other guy thinks this means he gets to make a 2nd character to replace the guy and does so
>texts me the character asking if he can run it its a pally tank with 25
>tell him if he can handle it I'll let him so I decommission the barbarian tank
>he complains about it despite now having built a tank and claims I'm going to use 4e monsters against the party

This guy is a special kind of retard, I think he is more upset that I reduced to the party to its intended size
>>
>>47831979
What's the deal with players and tanks?
Why nobody wants to play them ?
More importantly, why does everybody think they absolutely need them ?
>>
>>47832043
The party in question is already tanky anyways, lowest AC party member has a 17 and that's only because the guy is a playing sorcerer with 16 dex and ring of protection. Its not like anything hits super hard to the point where they will get fucked and tpk'd.
>>
Reminder to fill out this month's survey: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Whoever makes the next thread should remember to put it in the OP.
>>
>>47832125
Well at least with those questions they can learn that the community thought it was incredibly stupid to make the weapon/tool feats give straight bonuses instead of side-grades/new-techniques.

Right?
>>
>>47832043

>Why nobody wants to play them?

Because at a whim, "Tank" translates to "Paladin" and Paladin is boring as fucking hell to play as unless you metagame / munchkinminmax.

I'm having the time of my fucking life as an Illusory Wizard, but I've nearly died at least 30 times because

>DM sends some random asshole with a sniper longbow at me

>SURPRISE HE CRIT
>OH HAPPY DAY HE KEEPS CRITTING

Might just toss Mage Armor and Shield into the trash for fucking ever
>>
>>47832226
Fighters, Barbs, and Paladins can all tank. Put a shield on them and you're good to go.

I had a party with two Fighters using shields and they bullied literally everything we encountered into submission with a combination of knockdowns (both BMs), shield bashes, and grappling. Seeing slightly larger numbers because you're GWMing all day is a hollow joy compared to grinding hobgoblins into the dirt, tossing cultists off cliffs, and shoving wizards into fireplaces.
>>
Have a one shot coming up with some friends. was asked to make a level 15 character. What are some silly gimmicks I could do for a character that might be fun.
>>
I just saw Now You See Me 2 and it's inspired my next character. How would I go about creating a hypnotist that would act as our party's face? Homebrew is allowed.
>>
So I told my DM I wanted to make a beastmaster for his next campaign and he told me he was using a monster hunter homebrew thing

For a moment I was extatic, monster hunter is an ideal environment to play a ranger

But then he showed me there are no creatures below CR 1/2, basically making it impossible to play a beastmaster

I am just a bit miffed
>>
>>47832517
>and shoving wizards into fireplaces.
this made me all warm and fuzzy feeling inside
>>
>>47832829
You could show him monster hunter stories or whatever and use the smaller versions of the same monsters.
>>
Can you harvest poison from:

A poisonous snake familiar?
An imp familiar?
A giant poisonous snake beast companion?
A druid wildshaped into a giant poisonous snake?
A wizard true polymorphed into a purple worm?

How often can poison be harvested?
>>
>>47832829
Ask if you can have a small catfolk companion in place of the normal animal companion rules.
>>
>>47832681
I have been wanting to play a gnome or halfling beastmaster ranger and mount the pet, I've even been thinking about multi classing a barbarian or something going strength and using a lance and shield. So you could go ranger 4 barb 11 or fighter even. In my head I kinda want to make a deep gnome on a giant wolf spider, so you could have some versatility with spider climb, and stealth checks as well. Could go rouge or maybe even warlock too. Haven't looked at numbers or anything I have no idea how well this idea would work in practice.
>>
>>47832817
>How would I go about creating a hypnotist that would act as our party's face?
Lore bard.

Start with the Friends and Vicious Mockery cantrips, take Charm Person, Dissonant Whispers, Sleep, and Tasha's Hideous Laughter at first. At later levels be sure to pick up Suggestion, Calm Emotions, Hold Person, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern, and so on. Be sure to grab expertise in Persuasion or Deception, or maybe both if you're really going for a smooth-talking hypnotist.
>>
>>47832982
Nope, he is stuck on this one homebrew and not willing to change

>>47833013
Now that might be interesting
>>
>level 10 fighter
>26 ac before any buffs from spells
Am I doing it right? I'm hoping to get to 29 soon with the next 2 levels.
>>
>>47833060
Plate, shield, defense fighting style, and? 21 AC is the best a fighter can do before you start throwing on magical equipment.
>>
>>47833051
Thanks, Anon, I appreciate it. After seeing how simple the answer is, I'm a bit sorry for bothering you with the question
>>
>>47833076
Don't forget to flavor your bardic inspiration as hypnotizing your friends to make them more confident.
>>
>>47833076
Not that anon but you could also go enchantment wizard, their level 2 feature is an at-will charm IIRC
>>
>>47833057
Thats kind of silly the whole idea of homebrew is that it is something you made up so why can't he make more up?

The Felyne companion is genius though and I hope he lets you have one. The shenanigans with that thing would be spectacular.
>>
>>47833076
Not the guy who responded but it was a cool idea and I enjoyed reading it.
>>
>>47833070
weellllllll technically you could have 1 more if you were a champion with 16 dexterity, mariner and defense fighting style, medium armor master, half plate, and a shield. so thats 22.

and technically a warforged could have 1 more, so thats 23.

but his post is likely bait.
>>
>>47833101
Haha, I love that. Maybe I'll try to pull the "The power was within you all along!" eventually

>>47833111
You remember correctly, Hypnotic Gaze. I do like that the creature doesn't necessarily remember that you charmed it (Similar to the effect in the movies I'm attempting to emulate), but I've never actually played a bard and have been meaning to. I think I'll save this as a backup, thanks

>>47833136
Glad you think so, hopefully my friends will as well
>>
File: 1458097707714.jpg (87 KB, 384x750) Image search: [Google]
1458097707714.jpg
87 KB, 384x750
>>47833148
actually if you were a lizard folk as detailed in the dms guide,you could have +3 AC instead of the warforged +1, so that would be 25.

hmmm idk where 26 would come from tho. and this is all very unlikely.
>>
File: ftl46_burningInquirySplash.jpg (89 KB, 620x456) Image search: [Google]
ftl46_burningInquirySplash.jpg
89 KB, 620x456
>>47832837
And a warm, crispy feeling for the wizards on the outside.
>>
File: natural armor is calculative.png (57 KB, 278x109) Image search: [Google]
natural armor is calculative.png
57 KB, 278x109
>>47833164
Natural armor is calculative. It makes lizardfolk have an AC of 10 + 3 + Dex.

Also the "races" in that table are meant for NPCs. The table is even title "NPC Features."
>>
File: 1456430644365.png (1 MB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
1456430644365.png
1 MB, 1200x1800
>>47833164
also this has lead me to noticing that the npc stats for aarakocra and dwarves both have +2 wisdom instead of +1, which is iiiiiiinteresting. but not very interesting.
>>
>>47833181
yeah i get it i'm just trying to imagine how one would build an ac 26 fighter at level 10.

harmless numbers counting.

i didn't know that +3 natural armor bonus to Ac made it calculative though, good to know.
>>
In an upcoming game I'm going to play a Favored Soul of Tempus but I know absolutely nothing about Favored Souls. Does anybody know anything about them.
>>
>>47833252
So... you're going to play a character, but know nothing about your character? Did your DM make your character for you or something?

Consider also: Google.
>>
>>47833070
>>47833148
>>47833164
Please I'm not baiting, had to go find my character sheet so took me a minute or two to reply.
Here is my list of shit:
Adamantine full plate=19 ac
Homebrew kite shield=3 ac
Sword and board mastery = +1 to shield ac (4 ac on shield now)
Defense fighting style = 1 ac
Defensive duelist = 4 ac
Not many magical items outside a few rings and my swords but thats all she wrote boys.
>>
>>47833261
I like the idea of them but I don't know much about their lore and google gives me nothing but people talking about how crap they are in 3.5.
>>
>>47833270
you realize that doesn't even add up to 26... which is still lightweight tripping my bait trigger, but okay.
also yeah if you have homebrew stuff then i guess sky's the limit. not hating on homebrew, your post just implied you were doing pretty raw stuff to me for some reason.
>>
>>47833270
If your DM and group are fine with the homebrew, more power to you I guess. You shouldn't expect to just throw out "my fighter has 26 AC!" in /5eg/ and have people to not be confused by it when their normal max is 21.
>>
>>47833306
>>47833294
Yeah sorry fellas, this is my 2nd character ever made so I fucked up my math a bit, potential 28 when I use my reaction and 24 just standing there. Currently I am saving gold for boots of haste and working to get blade mastery.
>>
>>47829882
Tribal Warriors, and perhaps some Veterans. They are sacrificing a Noble woman at the behest of their Druid. Have a few staggered encounters. Perhaps the Druid has a Giant Boar companion animal, with Resistance to Fire? Oh, also dinosaurs and lizard folk.
>>
>>47828653
>higher Rage damage bonus
Doesn't that literally just go from +2 to +3 and then that's it? I don't think that counts as progression...
>>
File: 1429310907470.png (437 KB, 645x913) Image search: [Google]
1429310907470.png
437 KB, 645x913
So I'm thinking about playing an undying tomelock in an upcoming campaign that gained his power from a powerful vampiress. She let him drink her blood and now his powers are growing as the vampiric blood takes hold, and his book of shadows is written in his blood. Is choosing a vampire as a patron asking for trouble since its not some far off entity and we could run into her if the DM wants?
>>
R8 my crit system /tg/. Roll to confirm critical success and failed. You have advantage on rolls to confirm critical fails with weapons or skills that you are proficient in. If a creatures anatomy is particularly alien or unfamiliar to the party, they have disadvantage on rolling to confirm critical successes. Rangers has advantage on crit success and fail against favored enemies. Also added a creature trait called crit resistance to some creatures which causes crit successes against to be rolled at disadvantage.
>>
>>47833404
I think that would make it more interesting actually.
>>
>>47833410
0/10 too complex and adds nothing meaningful (only complicated) to the game.
>>
>>47833422
agreed
>>
>>47833422
Is it really that complex?
>>
>>47833478
It's a little bit too complex for something that should be really simple.
>>
>>47833575
The initial logic was to make critically failing at something you're proficient at exceedingly rare. Should I drop everything but that?
>>
>>47833607
You don't crit fail skill checks in 5e by default.
>>
>>47833404
I think that's a great idea. Even better if your DM uses your patron, which apparently is a rare thing. Part of the reason I love warlock is that you easily get some pretty cool plot hooks.

>>47833389
it goes to +4 at 16th lvl as well

>>47833410
I like that you're bringing favored enemy in there but yeah it's convoluted. 5e puts a lot of emphasis on clean design. Past editions and their bloatedness were kinda traumatic in this regard.
>>
File: Magic Schools Symbols.jpg (146 KB, 584x767) Image search: [Google]
Magic Schools Symbols.jpg
146 KB, 584x767
hey /tg/ what would you guys think about warlock using their intelligence instead of their charisma for their class features? would that break anything?
>>
File: 1394166389552.jpg (80 KB, 516x800) Image search: [Google]
1394166389552.jpg
80 KB, 516x800
Question: I have a couple of Sorcerer Bloodlines I'm making. How bad of an idea would it be for a Divine Bloodline to swap the Sorcerer Spell list with the Cleric one, or the Sorcerer spell list with the Druid's?
>>
>>47833909
Just use favored soul.
>>
How effective can a paladin with low charisma be?
>>
>>47833946
Eh. Don't care for it. What about the Druid spell list?
>>
>>47833952
>How effective can a paladin with low charisam be?
Just as long as you avoid DC spells, obviously, it's probably going to be OK. Worst thing would be the Channel Divinity, but depending on your oath you may not care (Vow of Enmity for instance).

I think Paladins are one of the classes that could choose to take feats instead of ASI early on, and not get too fucked because of that. Even with only +2 in their spellcasting ability, they're probably going to be fine for a while.

Especially if, as I read somewhere, they errata'd that you can't have multiple Aura active. Aura of Courage not being active would make Charisma even less necessary.
>>
>>47834099
>Especially if, as I read somewhere, they errata'd that you can't have multiple Aura active.
You probably read it incorrectly. A paladin can have multiple auras (and is expected to for most subclasses). The errata clarifies that multiple instances of the effects with the same name (say, two paladins being near each other) don't stack.
>>
What should I do regarding combat on pre-made maps where squares are larger distances?

I'm currently running Curse of Strahd, and the Yester Hill and Berez maps have each square as 50 and 100 feet respectively.

How should I run combat on these maps? Should I restrict players to basically only moving 1 or less squares per round?
Or should I make separate 'combat' maps representing a smaller area?
>>
>>47830335
It's a magic item, anon. Of course it's better than mundane weapons. Dd you not read the Foreword at all? It says "magic items" pretty clearly
>>
>>47827301
I bet people would enjoy a few of those as a change of pace, as long as they aren't long, angry rants.
>>
Don't know if here already but the June survey is up.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey
>>
>>47834185
Theater of the mind, dude.
I made smaller maps with correct scale
>>
>>47833404
I just used Fiend for my Warlock whose patron is a vampire. Not amazingly fitting, but eh. I re-fluff my spells to have blood related effects, I'll do the same for the features.
>>
What's some good motivation for a Grand Magus fucking shit up in a setting where the magic guild already pretty much controls everything. I just realized my BBEG has literally 0 motivation since shes already in control of everything.

All i've really got now is to fulfill a prophecy and is misinterpreting it, or 'muh unlimited power.'
>>
>>47835232
Maybe the loss of a loved one has clouded her judgement and turned her partially insane. Go full on Joneleth Irenicus with that bitch.
>>
>>47835232
She's the unwitting puppet of a mind flayer congregation that is trying to travel back to their original timeline.
>>
>>47835232
When has "enough power" ever stopped a wizard from delving into deeper secrets and seeking greater magic? Hubris is the downfall of the Archmage.
>>
>>47835232
The BBEG is draining magic from the plane to fuel a megaspell (ascension, apotheosis, temporal reversion) to move to higher plane of existence/become a god/change the past. The side effects are fucking shit up.
>>
>>47835232
She hates the system and the only way to gain the power she needed to bring it all down was to become a part of it.
>>
>>47835219
On behalf of the DMs, I thank you for being creative with your character without resorting to homebrewing every fucking thing. It's refreshing.
>>
>>47835786
This.
I have a player that messages me all the time different home brews he wants me to allow.
>>
>>47830498

i request source of grill blue shirt

>>47830982

Sounds like those types of players that try to do "lol so funny randumb XD" things and then get extremely upset when their actions have consequences. Unfortunately they're not rare.
>>
What do you guys think about the ability to strategize during combat based off your intelligence stat? Would an 8 intelligence fighter know to charge the enemy caster about to fireball the party, or is this level of meta gaming acceptable to keep the game fun. Would you implement this rule in a very serious campaign?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.