[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Legend of Zelda: Lore & General Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 44
In light of the new zelda game coming out: The Legend of Zelda: breath of the wild.

Suppose would /tg/ be interested in a thread discussing the lore, tidbits, information and interesting aspects of the series in an effort to reveal and skim interesting pieces to steal for their own games?

All questions & discussion are welcome.
>Link to the Legend of Zelda RPG: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG
>>
>>47815053
There is also an ongoing 5E hack.

>Master Guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mru2aqtdhfj01e/Zelda%205E%20Master%27s%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
>Player's Guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lexzdcugan6m0vu/Zelda%205E%20Player%27s%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
>Ongoing Monster Info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YoIli8Aq1u5PZEy8RbnV50yzCn_O_bfSgpqd3IOmu7Q/edit
>Race and Class Archetype Edits: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cgPdflt8fY6_xit88pSwprh-pw4dDhpgFzJ6RvL-1J0/edit#heading=h.pfnaap53ijba
>>
File: 1430367257832.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1430367257832.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>
File: 1450335872767.jpg (88 KB, 400x616) Image search: [Google]
1450335872767.jpg
88 KB, 400x616
Question - Are rupees magical? Or are the wallets they are placed in magical? How can one fit 999 green rupees into one small satchel and yet some how different combinations of different colors of rupees take up the same space?
>>
>>47815235

Oh shit, thank you anon for the additional links!

We'll need to make sure to post them if we do up a new thread.
>>
>>47815735

By handwaving it.
>>
File: 1000[1].png (1 MB, 1000x1328) Image search: [Google]
1000[1].png
1 MB, 1000x1328
>>47815735
>Question - Are rupees magical? Or are the wallets they are placed in magical? How can one fit 999 green rupees into one small satchel and yet some how different combinations of different colors of rupees take up the same space?

The Rupee wallets are slightly magical and the Rupees themselves are not actually as "big" as they appear laying on the ground or when you pick them up in the game.
>>
>>47815815
No problem. It came up in a previous thread the day before, thought it'd be helpful.
>>
>>47815235
>hack

stop that
>>
>>47816073
Being one?
>>
>>47816073
I hate that word too when it's used in that context, but the terminology's literally been around for more than three decades now — you're not going to convince anyone to stop using it.
>>
>>47815735
That's a good question, and a plausible suggestion to boot.

We know that the Minish/Picori hide rupees for larger species to find, which explains why they're so easy to find in grass and random pots, but we don't know where the Minish find them in the first place. So maybe they're a form of congealed magic, or some kind of kindness-manifest-as-gemstone thing (there's precedent for that in the series as well as in Nintendo/Japanese stuff in general).

That being given, it makes sense that individual rupees can break down and reform into smaller or larger denominations for the sake of payment. A wallet full of 999 rupees simply contains 9 Gold rupees, 1 Purple upee, 2 Red rupees, 1 Blue rupee and 4 Green rupees, for 17 rupees total. Presumably rupee satchels have the special ability to store more rupee energy or whatever in them, so it isn't a physical limitation thing (also explaining why you need special satchels for money at all).
>>
there was a thread earlier this week where people were arguing are hylians elves or not, personally I would go with aasimar. in dnd terms
>>
>>47816945
>personally I would go with aasimar. in dnd terms

This is the most correct way of looking at it. Hylians are simply the "chosen people of the Goddess Hylia." They're blessed with those long pointy ears that allow them to hear the whisper of the gods, but beyond that there isn't anything particularly special about them.

Another way to look at it is: All Hylians are Human, but not all Humans are Hylian.
>>
>>47816945
>>47817016
Except they're not descended from celestials breeding with humans or have any of the aasimar traits, they just have pointy ears and an affinity for magic, like elves.

Really, it's more like just an alternate elf creation myth, with a lot of similarities to the Tolkien elves (first race in Hylia, in decline with the later round-eared race eventually taking their place, triforce=three jewels of the Silmarils, etc.).

Long-eared, long-lived, human-esque creatures with a connection with spirits and magical powers, while a distinctly separate race from the eventually more common round-eared "humans"?

That's really about as elf as you can get.
>>
>>47817016
If I recall, pointy ears can be found on some, but not, all members of all species in Zelda. Hylian may just be a status among all species.
>>
>>47817076
>Except they're not descended from celestials breeding with humans or have any of the aasimar traits

didn't the goddes herself turn bunch of humans to hylians. if anything that makes them reverse thieflings
>>
>>47817096
What
>>
>>47817076
>Except they're not descended from celestials breeding with humans or have any of the aasimar traits, they just have pointy ears and an affinity for magic, like elves.

Zelda is the physical reincarnation of the goddess Hylia: her spirit is bound to her and the royalty of hyrule and it's also heavily implied that link and zelda kind of shack up at the end of Skyward sword now that they have the surface world to repopulate.

>in decline with the later round-eared race eventually taking their place

If you're talking chronologically: Humans came first.
Humans were turned into Hylians.

>Long-eared, long-lived, human-esque creatures with a connection with spirits and magical powers,

Hylian magic is more abrahamic in nature with a major focus on a very organized and matriarchal religion that isn't animistic in nature: They worship Hylia, The Goddess of Time and The three "old" goddess (Din, Nayru and Farore).

Hyrule specifically IS designated as the "holy land" because that's where all of these gods were said to have rested once they were done creating the world and basically gave the key to the world -the triforce- to Hylia before they went into their big nap.

Hylians are like organized Assimar Jews and Hyrule is Israel.
>>
>>47816307
It's only really cropped up on /tg/ recently
>>
>>47817183
I don't think you understand what Aasimar are. Also, in Skyward sword, Link is already Hylian, pointy ears and all.

And, it's less that humans were turned into something else, but more of Hylians got pointy ears, which is just a way to explain how they got them. The round-eared humans that are just called humans instead of Hylians came later than the Hylians.

And elves also worship gods. They have a whole pantheon of them.
I don't really understand why you're so resistant to the idea of calling Hylians elves, when Link is practically the Japanese Legolas.
>>
>>47817233
>Also, in Skyward sword, Link is already Hylian, pointy ears and all.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean for it to read like that, I meant it more in the sense that the Hylian royalty and the majority of the people of hyrule are descendant from Zelda, Link and the people of skyloft coming down to settle the area.

>The round-eared humans that are just called humans instead of Hylians came later than the Hylians.

Okay maybe I'm reading that wrong, but I know for a fact that that is bullshit.
Round-Eared Humans came first. They had to have come first since Hylia "made" them into Hylians.
They were a by product of Humans living in close proximity to Hylia and the land of Hyrule, I.E: Normal humans came into Hyrule and eventually became Hylians.

>I don't really understand why you're so resistant to the idea of calling Hylians elves, when Link is practically the Japanese Legolas.

Because Hylians main motiff is "gods chosen people/destined people protecting their holy land" and I don't really associate that with Elves.
They don't live in trees they live in Kingdoms and they don't have an "archer" motiff and Link isn't famous for his archery- he's famous for the master sword and his swordsmanship (and to a lesser extent his animal riding.)
>>
>>47817294
>he's famous for the master sword and his swordsmanship (and to a lesser extent his animal riding.)

this. and he is more often referred to as a knight which is more human thing than say a ranger for elves.

and honestly hylia really isnt straightly importable to dnd. and aasimar are the closest thing to hylians, even if they aren't strictly like them.
>>
>>47817294
>Round-Eared Humans came first. They had to have come first since Hylia "made" them into Hylians.

The round-eared "Humans" are a separate race from the Hylians. They may have both looked the same originally, but Hylians became pointy-eared Hylians, and the Humans came/were created later, a distinctly separate bloodline.

>Because Hylians main motiff is "gods chosen people/destined people protecting their holy land" and I don't really associate that with Elves.

Except that's exactly what Tolkien elves are.

>Link isn't famous for his archery
Outside of the whole arrows of light/light being necessary to defeat Ganon? And how it's essentially the 2nd place item after his sword/shield combo? I can agree that the Master Sword comes first, but Link being an archer is of similar importance.
>>
>>47817339
>and honestly hylia really isnt straightly importable to dnd. and elves are the closest thing to hylians, even if they aren't strictly like them.
>>
File: latest[1].png (225 KB, 395x544) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
225 KB, 395x544
>>47817233
>>47817076

I mean, aren't the KOKIRI literally the "Elves" of the setting or do you classify them as gnomes?

Because the Kokiri feel pretty Elvish/Gnomish to me, what with their tree houses and giant deku tree lord and immortality/eternal youth n' wot not.
>>
>>47817422
They're more like hobbits if we were to use a Tolkien analogy, since they're not just eternally youthful, they're eternally child-like. The tree business is wood-elfish, but high elves are more metropolitan.

All in all, we're talking about distinct races separate from any others, and Hylians are Hylians, not elves, but I'm really struggling to understand why it's hard for some people to recognize that Hylians are more like elves than humans, and if we were to call them aasimars they would be aasimars of elven stock.
>>
File: trash.jpg (68 KB, 338x254) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
68 KB, 338x254
>>47817488
>muh tolkien
>>
>>47817422
And so roll along the classic discussion of "what is an elf" and "which sort of elf is which/is good for what".

Fortunately, the Zelda setting accounts nicely for all sorts of elves:
- Hylians for magical chosen race, "Humans+1" sort of elves.
- Kokiri for the dimunitive, cute forest-dweller "Fariy+1" elves.
- Zora for the elite, friendly-yet-distant "Best civilisation" sort of elves.

You could probably find more in the setting.
>>
>>47817422
More gnomes or halflings really, but they all overlap to some degree
>>
>>47817397
Aside from the original game, the Light Arrows have only been required to render Ganon vulnerable to attack by the master sword. And after OoT, Zelda has typically been the one depicted using Link's bow with the Light Arrows.

Link is a good archer, yes, and his bow is important. But it's just one tool among dozens of others that he uses to beat Ganon. Hell, even in OoT the Megaton Hammer and the Hookshot are just as mandatory to beating Ganon as the Light Arrows.
>>
I was looking up "round-eared humans" and snooping around for information and so forth and I found and interesting little piece of trivia:

Outset Island in Wind Waker has quite a large population of "Round-eared Humans" compared to the other islands.
Outset Island is also the most isolated and furthest island around, so that might have something to do with it.

Also get this: Joel & Zill are both round-eared while their father Abe is a "pointed-eared" Hylian, but their mother Rose doesn't seem to have pointed ears or their otherwise obscured by her hair?

Maybe round-ears are a dominant trait? Maybe it's being bred out of them?
Maybe it literally has to do with being born within proximity to Hylia or Hyrule/the only land?

Keep in mind that ORDAN in twilight princess ISN'T considered a part of Hyrule (instead a neighboring independent province that pays tribute TO hyrule) and all of it's inhabitants have ROUND ears.
>>
File: zelda.png (791 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
zelda.png
791 KB, 1024x1024
>>47817552
What my guess is that the newest game, with it's focus on open terrain and all the art so far, will expand the importance of the bow like Skyward Sword expanded the importance of the Master Sword.
>>
>>47817573

Seriously it's uncanny- every single person in *Ordon village has round ears.

I have no idea how I didn't notice that.
I guess I was too busy marveling at how hideous all the men where.
>>
>>47817604
That one blonde lady is the the only source of non-ugly genetics in the entire village.
>>
>>47817581
I highly doubt it. And again, while the bow is important, unlike the master sword, it is a different bow that Link gets in every single game. There's nothing special about Link's bows that - and I don't mean this pun - link them to him throughout time and space.

Skyward sword expanding on the importance of the Master Sword makes sense - it's a weapon and a symbol almost as iconic as Link himself to the LoZ series, and he wields it in almost every game.

Making a game expand on the 'importance of the bow,' which, other than being a more varied tool than some of his others due to different types of arrows, has never gotten special treatment, makes far less sense.
>>
How's the Hyrule Historia for use as a campaign book?
>>
File: new hyrule.png (145 KB, 900x687) Image search: [Google]
new hyrule.png
145 KB, 900x687
>>47817674
It's alright in that it gives quite a bit of lore and has some wonderful art, but it doesn't really detail Hyrule (or any other land) in too much detail.
>>
>>47817663
> other than being a more varied tool than some of his others due to different types of arrows, has never gotten special treatment,

It's gotten tons of special treatment, and I'd be willing to argue it's more vital to the character than his shield.
>>
>>47817076
>first race in Hylia
Not true, there were other races (gorons, kikwi, etc.) Humans were just sorta Hylia's destined people
>in decline with the later round-eared race eventually taking their place
In many games they aren't declining and in the ones they are it's always because Ganon or someone fucked them up major. They are only being replaced by round-ear humans due to it being implied that said humans live outside Hyrule and are moving in.
>triforce=three jewels of the Silmarils
I do find this interesting save for the fact that in many games at least one piece is broken (usually courage I think?) and they weren't created by mortal hands but by the three Goddesses. Another difference is that the Silmarils were sought simply for their beauty (they had the light of Arda in them or something I can't remember) and the triforce is sought/protected because it grants literal wishes.

>Long-eared
A number of other races have pointed ears in different media as well, even the Kokiri have them
>long-lived
No, we have no clue on how long they live. Only Rauru is said to be ancient but he was off fucking around in the sacred realm. Other races/people can get quite old (Impa in Skyward Sword for instance) but there is never a definite answer on the Hylian's aging
>human-esque creatures with a connection with spirits and magical powers
Only a limited number of them, most are just medieval (with some modern/magical tech) expats
>while a distinctly separate race from the eventually more common round-eared "humans"?
Which leads me to believe that there is some major sundering in the race. If the world was being beset upon by Demise and the humans lifted into the air before being brought back to the Surface, what happened that caused such wide-spread changes beyond the "and this people get pointed-ears so they may hear Hylia" schtick? Why are the Gerudo all tan amazons? Sheikah a shadowy ninja race? Lokomo being so into trains and having the worst name?
>>
>>47817795
By that argument the Hookshot and Bombs are just as integral to Link as the bow is, because they're featured in just as many (more in the case of Bombs) games as the bow
>>
>>47817985
Specifically, the bow (or more precisely, silver/arrows) have played an integral part in many of the games' lore, as the only weapon that could seal/kill/bypass the defenses of Ganon, with the Master Sword performing the part the bow does not.

This isn't a negligible point.
>>
>>47817581
Have you seen the new gameplay footage? While Link does have a sword and board the bow is his primary weapon
>>
>>47817985
True, bombs have been in since the beginning but the actual hookshot wasn't there until OoT I thought. Boomerangs are old too.
>>47818075
Way I was seeing it was that the Silver/Light arrows purge some of the evil from Ganon but only enough to weaken his soul for the Master Sword to properly finish him off.
>>
>>47816739
Wait wait wait wait.

Its time for math. I propose there is a quantity under 999 that requires more than 17 rupees to express.
>>
I'm making a Legend of Zelda solo game for a friend who's interest in the series is reinvigated by the new game footage. So far, I'm taking one of the more boring Zelda world shake ups and making Hyrule more explicitly Japanese, with Gerudo forming a mongol-style Khanate and the Gorons standing in for westerners with a super secret form of gunpowder which will serve as one of the later "item pick ups" rather than just a bunch of bombs. It's been done before, but it works.

In the Zelda games that we've seen, would you characterize the series as generally high magic or low magic for its inhabitants? I don't mean Link's adventures specifically, more the people of Hyrule. In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, as well as Wind Waker, people seem to stick to their homes and live a more or less mundane life apart from a few exotic travelers. Obviously there are exceptions to this, like all of Skyward Sword, but it seems to be the case that regular human people in the setting don't interact too much with magic apart from travelers, since most of the more magical communities are very insular. Does this seem correct?
>>
File: Based King Zora.png (87 KB, 656x1048) Image search: [Google]
Based King Zora.png
87 KB, 656x1048
>>47818552
Low magic. We really don't see too much magic in the series that isn't directly related to the game's story. There does seem to be some minor magitech stuff but we don't see a Hyrule army battalion of war wizards, there is no arcane school, etc.
>>
>>47818684
I was thinking about this the other day. For all the talk about hylians being really good at magic, there aren't really any actual wizards. There's Zelda, and Ganondorf, and Link has some abilities, but other than that there aren't court wizards or sorcerers or anything like that. Old, sagely characters are often philosophers or scientists, not wizards. The most magical you get is some asshole buying and selling ghosts or using magical music. The only real wizards are wizrobes.
>>
>>47818910
Even Link isn't much of a sorcerer, because most of his magical abilities come from trinkets and items. The only magic I can think of that doesn't come from an item is the Spin Attack in OoT and MM.

Ganon isn't a good example either, because he's a Gerudo and not a Hylian.
>>
>>47818538
Okay, so, anything under 900 isn't going to do it, since that just means less Gold Gold has never been worth 100 in any game, but I'll roll with it here since the games are also not consistent in values rupees.
Likewise, anything that doesn't end in a 9 won't do it, since if it doesn't end in a 9 you could just add some combination of green or blue rupees to get it up to a 9 without having to convert up.
So, that leaves us with
909: 9 gold, 1 Blue, 4 greens. 14 Rupees, this will be our baseline so I am not going to list these individually any more.
919: Do we have yellow (10s)? If so, just add 1 yellow for 15 rupees, if not 2 more blues for 16
929: 1 red: 15
939: 1 red, 1 yellow/2 blues: 16/17
949: 2 red: 16
959: 1 purple: 15
969: 1 purple, 1 yellow/2 blues: 16/17
979: 1 purple, 1 red: 16
989: 1 purple, 1 red, 1 yellow/2 blues: 17/18
So, if we do NOT have yellow rupees, 989 does need more than 17 rupees to make. You can also get to 60 and 80 with reds and no purple, but that doesn't save you any rupees when compared to doing it with the purple and the blues, and is actually MORE rupees if you have access to the yellows.
>>
>>47818538
Just got back to this thread, it's entirely possible.

>>47820792
...but it appears to be otherwise. All known denominations of rupee in canon are eligible for a derivative product, so it's game on.

Did I really get the gold number wrong? Are golds 200? I thought that was silver.
>>
>>
>>47821203
Gold is typically worth 300.
http://zeldawiki.org/Rupee
>>
File: 1466036741157.png (60 KB, 800x1364) Image search: [Google]
1466036741157.png
60 KB, 800x1364
Alright, if one were to run a Zelda game, how would you handle rupees? Usually by late game they mean nothing (unless you have magic armor or something), so would you do a weapon/armor degradation system and they then need to buy things to repair and replace their things?
>>
>>47822423
I wonder how far you can go like that, running around in your boxers and dick-punching all enemies you come across.
>>
File: the amulet kills all of you.png (129 KB, 168x370) Image search: [Google]
the amulet kills all of you.png
129 KB, 168x370
>>47822423
Food and shelter still cost money, same goes for horses and followers/crew/hired people.
>>
>>47822649
I was also thinking that most equipment would have to be bought as well.
>>
File: Nossan!.jpg (3 KB, 108x125) Image search: [Google]
Nossan!.jpg
3 KB, 108x125
>>47822423
I'd just swap GP for RP
>>
>>47817663
>Making a game expand on the 'importance of the bow,' which, other than being a more varied tool than some of his others due to different types of arrows, has never gotten special treatment, makes far less sense.

I totally agree, that game wasn't very memorable.

>>47818910
That's not exactly true. We've got Maple and Syrup from the Oracle games and GBA version of ALttP, who are pretty explicitly witches. The Twinrova have a few shades of that, too. Along with Irene and the Witch in ALBW. But at the same time, I don't recall them doing much besides handing out potions, flying on a broomstick, and performing a fusion dance, they're not exactly numerous, and I don't think most of them are Hylians; so the point still stands.
>>
>>47823874
That was a game built to sell the wiimote zapper thing that lazily used old material lying around while using Link as the major selling point.

I don't think it's fair to discuss it outside of "Yeah, and now we're at the point where they're using Miitomo to advertise Zelda and Zelda to advertise Miitomo."
>>
>>47817076
>triforce=three jewels of the Silmarils

It's worth noting that originally there were only two Triforce pieces, Power and Wisdom. Link needed to acquire Wisdom in order to fight Ganon in the first game. They were only called the "Triforce" because they were triangular at that point.

Courage wasn't introduced until Zelda 2, though it did make a minor retcon saying that there were always three pieces, which then became standard.
>>
>>47824050
>something made of two pieces
>call it "Triforce"
the original maker was either cheeky cunt or an idiot
>>
>Your party comes across a while bird, about the size of your chest
>It has large tail-feathers, and a small red comb and wattle
>It seems to be alone.
What do /tg/?
>>
>>47824179
I insert my penis into it's cloaca.
>>
File: 1336013150823.jpg (205 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1336013150823.jpg
205 KB, 900x900
>>47820792
>>47821203
In A Link Between Worlds, gold rupees are worth 300 each, and silver rupees are worth 100.

The rupee economy is clearly not stable in the higher-value ones across the ages, so don't put too much thought into this.
>>
>>47824179
Hit it with my sword and await Armageddon
>>
>>47823240
I don't think the standard formula of finding items would work well in tabletop, because you can't railroad people into a set dungeon progression. Having shops like A Link Between Worlds would work a little better, or using a progression mors like A Link to the Past.
>>
>>47824627
>>because you can't railroad people into a set dungeon progression

Sure you can, all the dungeons locations are common knowledge, but they are all magically sealed, except the first. Upon completing a dungeon, another opens.
>>
>>47824079
There wasn't a singular Triforce though. Just the Triforces of Power and Wisdom, which were both triangles.
>>
http://zeldawiki.org/Sleeping_Zelda

I don't know how canon this is, but at one point in one of the timelines, all of the Hyrule Royal Family's female descendants are named "Zelda" by law.

Would it theoretically possible for there to be multiple claimants to the Hyrule throne, all named "Zelda", at the same point in time? I know that Hyrule: Total War dealt with multiple generations of Zeldas.
>>
>>47825396
>Would it theoretically possible for there to be multiple claimants to the Hyrule throne, all named "Zelda", at the same point in time?

Yeah, sure- if the king has more than one daughter.

You also need to consider that the Queen would also most likely be called Zelda as well.
>>
>>47817581
The bow has its own dedicated button on the gamepad, so it's definitely meant to be integral to the game.

I think it's going to be a huge staple weapon for general gameplay (we've already seen that from the E3 footage), but I don't know if they're going to put any special story significance to Link's archery.
>>
>>47818326
>primary weapon
No, that's just that one Nintendo employee that really likes to use the bow. True to the overall goals of the new game, your playstyle determines what your primary weapon is, you can approach combat however you want.
>>
>>47818476
>but the actual hookshot wasn't there until OoT I thought
I can't remember off the top of my head which came first, but the hookshot was in both Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.
>>
>>47818910
Magic in Hyrule just doesn't seem to fit into the standard fantasy "say words, cast spells" variety. The magic of Hyrule is in the land and its artifacts. There aren't any "wizards" because that's just not how magic works in this world. Hylians are said to be the best at magic because they're the ones that know how to use all the various forms of magic that can be found in Hyrule, not because they're classic fantasy style mages.
>>
>>47824489
I followed the article linked and did my reading since my last post, and in addition to learning that gold rupees weren't actually called that in OoT, I've basically learnt everything there is to know about the variable values of Rupees with respect to colour AND size. Here is the best fit for different rupee denominations one could implement in an RP without violating canon:

Green - 1
Blue - 5
Yellow (or Small Gold, your call) - 10
Red - 20
Purple/Big Green - 30
Purple/Big Green - 50
Orange/Big Blue - 100
Silver/Big Red - 200
Big Gold/Giant Green - 300

I'll go into reasoning if anyone's interested.

>don't put too much thought into this.
That's like saying football becomes a matter of luck in some situations, so don't become a professional.
>>
>>47825732
So much this. Magic appears innate or granted by the Great Fairies in most cases and only a few people (Sahasrala maybe? And that witch girl ALBW) seem to be able to actual learn/use magic.
>>
File: latest[1].png (509 KB, 760x600) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
509 KB, 760x600
>>47826455
>>47825732
>>47818910
>>47818684

I've always been under the impression that most Hylians casually fear/disrespect or otherwise see any magic that isn't divine in nature or given to a person as "evil".... Which probably stems from the fact that SOOO many villians throughout Hylian history have been "greedy and malicious wizards and sorcerors coming from foreign lands to steal the triforce."
They probably think people who learn anything about magic will immediately start coveting or trying to steal the triforce.

Most of the human/mortal wizards we've seen are either horrendously old sages (who are more like priests/clerics), outcasted or socially ostracized hylians (like the witches) or Round-eared Humans/outsiders not from Hyrule.

There's a handful of magical tomes, texts, rods, wands and other traditional magic items it just seems that Hylians distrust it is all.
It ALSO probably doesn't help that many of their most hated enemies and historical villians have always been "greedy, dark and evil sorcerors and wizards from the outside."
>>
>>47826740

Shit, I said greedy and evil outsiders twice.
Sorry, you know what I mean.
>>
File: 1363212715301.gif (114 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1363212715301.gif
114 KB, 150x150
>>47815235
>tfw people still using the Zelda guides I made
Feels good man.
>>
File: Malladus.png (11 KB, 254x151) Image search: [Google]
Malladus.png
11 KB, 254x151
What do you guys think are the general, defining characteristics of a demon in the Zeldaverse?

Demise, Ganon and Malladus are all called demon kings, and plenty of enemies in the series are called demons at some point or another. There are some creatures like Demise, Malladus, Cole and Batreaux who seem to belong to an actual race of demons, while at other tiems it seems to be a more general phrase to describe particularly scary monsters or spirits.
>>
File: 663px-Four_Swords_-_Vaati[1].png (309 KB, 663x600) Image search: [Google]
663px-Four_Swords_-_Vaati[1].png
309 KB, 663x600
>>47826740
>>47826778

While I'm on the subject of "magic" & "evil" I've also come to understand that.... Maybe the Sheikah are to blame for a lot of this?

If you'll look at everything Sheikah related they seem to be the ones responsible for the acrument of so much knowledge, technology, magic and information and everything they've ever made or created has always been authorized with that "all-seeing-eye" of sheikah rune they LOVE putting on everything.

Literally dozens of bosses and bad guys have either TURNED INTO a giant "sheikah-esque" eyeball of knowledge or have had the imagery tattooed or patterned onto their clothing.

Maybe there's always so few sheikah not because they keep getting genocided by ganon, but because so many of them get overwhelmed with the >Truth< and become disenfranchised with serving gods and go rogue?

Like, what if the original tribe the "twilight" descendent from and the "Majoras mask" makers were the sheikah? What if it's just ALWAYS been the fucking Sheikah?
>>
File: tgpreview1.png (4 MB, 1221x1459) Image search: [Google]
tgpreview1.png
4 MB, 1221x1459
>tfw came up with an elaborate head canon/custom timeline/alternate setting version of Hyrule and the Legend of Zelda world for campaigns a while ago but never wrote any of it down and have forgotten most of it by now

I can remember some stuff like certain bosses in the series being religious and historical figures, and coming up with some lore for certain enemies in the game/merging different game enemies together into a single race, but I think I've forgotten a whole bunch.
>>
>>47827007
Vaati's fucking weird, he has literally NO connection to the Sheikah in his backstory since he is a fucking Minish, using a magical item made by a minish, and yet he still very much resemebles the Sheikah eye in his demon form.

Possibly, the eye is just a powerful arcane symbol in Zeldaverse, which the Sheikah adopted it as such. A lot of the evil eyes are not Sheikah eyes, with the 3 points and tear drop, but rather just eyes that are stylized in a similar manner (quite possibly for out of universe reasons as it is a design that looks cool)

Or maybe you are on to something and the Sheikah are just fedoras in a universe where the gods objectively exist and are objectively good.
>>
File: 6901261535_cce311a7b7_o[1].jpg (185 KB, 1472x770) Image search: [Google]
6901261535_cce311a7b7_o[1].jpg
185 KB, 1472x770
>>47826966
>What do you guys think are the general, defining characteristics of a demon in the Zeldaverse?

I think there's two sorts of demons:
-By itself an individual "Evil" Spirit that represents selfish'ness, malice, convulsion and a general compulsion for survival and so forth. They just want to consume and survive- they have no wisdom or courage and are purely spirits of "power".

-People or physical beings who've become saturated or otherwise overwhelmed with these particular qualities through some way or another and have either become possessed by a demonic spirit or they've turned through their own volition. Some people make themselves demons and some people fuse with a demonic spirit.

I don't think the majority monsters and beings that Ganon employs are actually demons: Darknuts, Moblins, Bokoblins, wizzrobes, etc.. A lot of them seem to be violent or aggressive non-humans or just straight up "aggressive creatures" he throws at his enemies.

Moblins/Bokoblins/ORCS Especially seem to be a people of their own that only follow Ganon/BBEG's because they're the strongest and that's the only thing they really value.
There's a moment at the end of Twilight Princess where you're in the middle of fighting "King Bulbin" who's the leader of this band of Orcs/Bokoblins who've been terrorizing you for the whole fucking game.

And he just tells you to stop beating him and hands you the key to the castle, tells you, "Strength is the only thing I've ever known." and acknowledges Link as stronger than Ganondorf.
>>
>>47827341
>Possibly, the eye is just a powerful arcane symbol in Zeldaverse

I think it's "Truth".

I think it's the rune for "Truth" and like how insight in bloodborne work, so to does the "Truth" work in much the same way in the Zelda-verse: It reveals EVERYTHING and it's most likely up to the individuals and their perspective to make heads or tails of what they're provided with.

The Sheikah use the TRUTH to understand the importance of their mission: to defeat evil, to protect the incarnation of Hylia and the princess zelda and her heirs. They use the TRUTH to construct, design and invent security measures, equipment, magics and technologies n' so forth.

Other people most likely become exposed to certains TRUTHS and are not as selfless or disciplined as the Sheikah.. Or again maybe some Sheikah have their own defiant interpretations of what they consider the TRUTH to be.
>>
>>47816073
what other word should we use?
>>
>>47827114
Post what you got, vampire.
>>
File: Sealing Glass.png (229 KB, 550x450) Image search: [Google]
Sealing Glass.png
229 KB, 550x450
>>47827725
Here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

Gerudo/Iron Knuckles:
>Iron Knuckles are the preserved, semi-sentient remains of Gerudo kings, bound in lavish armour and set to guard sites important to the Gerudo.
>Living people can wear Iron Knuckle armour, though to do so is taboo.
>Almost all Gerudo kings lead the Gerudo in war against their neighbours, though they're not neccessarily nearly as evil as Ganondorf
>Rebonack was one such Gerudo king
>General Onox was a Gerudo king and a sort of proto-Ganon (a warlord and dark sorcerer), possibly another of Demise's reincarnations. Unlike Ganon, he didn't care at all for the Gerudo people, and was rejected by his own subjects. He donned his suit of Iron Knuckle armour and left.

Religion:
>The Hyrulean church worships the Three Goddesses and Hylia, the Hylian's patron goddess and Goddess of Time. They don't exactly approve of the pagan gods of the vasal races, but allow their worship in return for loyalty and trade, and make efforts to incorporate foreign gods into the Hylian pantheon.
>Goron religion focuses on a Mountain Goddess (Din, according to the Hyrulean church), while Volvagia/Barba is a Satanic figure.
>The Fokka of eastern Hyrule swear fealty to Hyrule proper, acting as fierce warriors and guarding important locations, so that they may continue to worship the Thunderbird, their living god.

>Can't remember if Wizzrobes are Fokka, or magicians of any race who've bound themselves to ritualistic robes and masks in the pursuit of long life and magical power.

>Darknuts and the Wosu/Tinsuits from Zelda II belong to the same doglike warrior race. Wosu is the proper name, Darknut is a Hylian term and Tinsuit is a disparaging name, because they take great pride in their armour. They're a vassal race, set to guard important locations and sometimes even promoted to knighthood, but their warlike mentality means they're prone to helping out both sides in a conflict (i.e. joining Ganon when he's around).
>>
>>47826868
They're nice anon!
>>
>tfw you'll never be a Gerudo just chilling in the desert with your sister Gerudo
>>
>>47830327
>feels bad girl
>>
>>47830327
Why did you have to give me the feels, anon?
>>
File: 1459058008199.png (262 KB, 489x750) Image search: [Google]
1459058008199.png
262 KB, 489x750
>>
>>47817763
Is this map based on the new game they are releasing?
>>
>>47833173
No, this is put together from previous games, it was made well before the new game.
>>
I saw an intredasting fan theory on jewtube once that the whole of the LoZ story, from Skyward Sword on, is set in a post-apocalyptic world.

The idea is that before Demise there was a highly advanced society with timeshift stone based technology. The overmining of Laynaru for timeshift stones not only turned it into a desert but also somehow let to Demise entering the world (he rose from a crack in the earth, right).

The Hylians being the "chosen people" are only really chosen in that these are the survivors of the Demise apocalypse that Hylia managed to save and evacuate to Skyloft before going back to battle and seal Demise.

I always thought it was a cool theory and had epic story potential.
>>
>>47817763
>>47833353
I wish Twilight Princess didn't make Snowpeak canon in Hyrule proper, because then it makes Termina close to Hyrule and causes people to try to shove in other "close" locations like the Deku Palace.
>>47833399
It would help explain all the crystal-y switches in dungeons manage to do all sorts of shit with the same button, it's leftover tech from large buildings that have fallen into disarray from years of abandonment and monster infestation.

And yes, Demise and his army came out of a fissure in the earth according to Skyward Sword's story. I like the idea of "dug too deep and horrid shit came out", but I also like the little theory that Demise was the first invasion from the Dark World/Lorule in an attempt to regain their Triforce.
>>
>>47817604
Looking at that pic alone, I say this gives more credence to "Pointy ears= proximity to Hyrule" suggestion.

Four of them have small, albeit noticeable pointy ears. Not as long or prominent as Zelda. But as you have stated, Ordon isn't Hyrule proper, merely a neighboring province.
>>
>>47835987
No, it's part of Hyrule proper. They even pay taxes. I think the major issue is that their Hyrule looks like it is on the decline and more and more round ear humans are moving into the border regions from abroad.
>>
>>47833399
How is that a theory? Its all but stated in the game.
>>
>>47836436
Really? Well, I just got it from jewtube, never actually played Skyward Sword.
>>
>>47835744
There's also the fan theory of the Hyrulian civil war, which supposedly takes place between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Lots of political intrigue in that one.
>>
>>47818538
In my opinion, I think rupee wallets store the energy of the crystal, that's why you can take an orange rupee and it won't overflow your wallet, te excess energy is just wasted in the air or something like that.
Tl; Dr: Wallets are batteries, rupees charge them
>>
File: Timeshift_Stone[1].png (163 KB, 428x517) Image search: [Google]
Timeshift_Stone[1].png
163 KB, 428x517
>>47833399
>The idea is that before Demise there was a highly advanced society with timeshift stone based technology. The overmining of Laynaru for timeshift stones not only turned it into a desert but also somehow let to Demise entering the world (he rose from a crack in the earth, right).

This is all kind of stated in the cutscenes, demises' dialogue, etc.. etc..

Looking at The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild though, this makes it kind of obvious or at the very least heavily suggested that all of that stuff could have been a sheikah facility or something?

Given how good they appear to be with technology.
Whatever the case may be the Ocarina of time was DEFINITELY carved and made out of a hunk of timeshift crystal.
>>
>>47842264
>Whatever the case may be the Ocarina of time was DEFINITELY carved and made out of a hunk of timeshift crystal
That seems to be a general consensus nowadays. As for the sheikah being in charge of the tech I have a theory that maybe they stole that from the gods and that BotW will be the player learning about it. The gods, angry at the attempt of the non-Hylians in taking such power, punish the world and the Sheikah have to have to go to great lengths to make up for it.
>>
>>
File: 1434516437978.jpg (98 KB, 681x960) Image search: [Google]
1434516437978.jpg
98 KB, 681x960
>>
>>47845526

Link loves to crossdress though!
>>
File: 1435692850549.png (298 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1435692850549.png
298 KB, 460x460
>>47845995
>>
File: 1435692513185.jpg (271 KB, 1280x1451) Image search: [Google]
1435692513185.jpg
271 KB, 1280x1451
>>47846022
Meant to post pic related not >>47846022 but it's still quite funny
>>
>>47843917
I want to see the populace. The world is weirdly quiet right now, like the original Legend of Zelda where the populace is reduced to hiding in caves. BotW seems similarly apocalyptic.
>>
>>47848784
Hard to say, really.
LoZ 1 takes place in a barren fucking place, and then LoZ 2 expands the map and it turns out there are larger villages hanging around.

They also mentioned there are towns and that the Plateau is really hard to get to for normal people.
>>
File: loz_botw.0.0[1].jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
loz_botw.0.0[1].jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
>>47848842
>>47848784

I'm pretty confident that people/other npcs that weren't the "old man" were purposefully discluded from the floor demo simply due to how big of a plot spoiler it would have been to see what amounts for civilization and society in that land..

Which is something I'm looking forward to- I hope I can experience Breath of The Wild Spoiler Free.

Already we've been spoiled seeing KOROKS (Those Algae/plankton children the Great Deku Tree produced/devolved the Kokiri into) and the Item description for "Rock Salt" implies there was at one point a large ocean around.

Even now /v/ SCHEMES that Breath of the wild may be a conjoining of the timelines or at the very least are confident it's a sequel to the wind waker games.

Either way this promises to be the "newest/oldest" (depending on point of view) iteration in the zelda series given that the MASTER SWORD is starting to show visible signs of rust and degradation.

This could even potentially be the "last" zelda game in the timeline.
>>
>>47848784
>>47848842
>They also mentioned there are towns and that the Plateau is really hard to get to for normal people.
They also specifically said that there are towns and people on the Plateau, but they took them out for the E3 demo because they wanted to emphasize the world and the exploration specifically.
>>
>>47827471
I like this. It ties in well with them being close to the royal family and secretive.
>>
>>47822582

Miyamoto, upon watching someone play as naked Link, commented that one of the greatest things about the new game is you can fight Gannon without clothes and using a stick.
>>
>>47850417
>using a stick.
I really gotta wonder about that, just for pure durability reasons.

Items seemed to break really fucking quickly in the demo, and I imagine a stick would do crap damage, so I just can't imagine it lasting long enough to break through Ganon's health bar.

But I donno, maybe there are upgrades in the world that let your items last longer, or maybe you can carry enough sticks to finish him.
>>
>>47850761
Might be some Dork Souls tier stuff where Parries/Counters and other stuff does a set, extreme amount of damage
>>
>>47850846
>Might be some Dork Souls tier stuff

I'm laughing because me and my friend keep being idiots yelling at one another about how "Breath of The Wild" is the "Dark Souls" of the zelda franchise because it has:

>ITEM DESCRIPTIONS.

>ITEEEEM DESCRIPTIONS.
>>
>>47850761
He said that you can fight him, not that you'd win.
>>
File: 1434864985293.jpg (15 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
1434864985293.jpg
15 KB, 236x354
>>47850761
Aonuma or Miyamoto said you could hop out the start cave, grab some sticks and run off to face off the final boss. One might lower him to 1 HP but I think the Master Sword would need to be used to actually defeat him. It'd be fun to see but I personally wouldn't do it. I'm gonna be one of the ones who plays the full story to the best of my ability the first go and then say "fuck it" and run around naked with the fire rod in most subsequent playthroughs.
>>
File: 1466104264629.gif (320 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1466104264629.gif
320 KB, 450x300
>>47851410
Let's be honest, Link will end up with the equivalent of a 5 Star wanted level at least once in every game. YouTube will be full of situations where the people ask for Calamity Ganon to come and rid them of the Hero.
>>
>>47851410
>Aonuma or Miyamoto said you could hop out the start cave, grab some sticks and run off to face off the final boss.
I'm not so sure about this, don't you have to do some trials just to get the glider that lets you get off the plateau? I mean, I guess there could be a secret way down that's not in the E3 demo or something...
>>
>>47851637
Could climb down maybe and be very lucky?
>>
>>47851637
1. Jump off the plateau
2. Land in water
3. ...
4. Go kill Gannon
>>
File: 1466294632128.jpg (993 KB, 2903x1943) Image search: [Google]
1466294632128.jpg
993 KB, 2903x1943
Some minor issues but a fairly accurate map I think of locations in the game
>>
>>47852028
>Some minor issues but a fairly accurate map I think of locations in the game

Good find, Anon!
>>
>>47825396
>Hyrule total war
Now that was a mod. Stomping kokiri children with your hyrulean knights, getting your army exterminated by unkillable giga insects...
>>
>>47816064
>that pic
Dammit, I just had the thought of a LoZ reverse harem otome game with a princess as the heroine. I'm going to kill myself now.
>>
>>47851827
I feel that there's probably a safeguard against that (fade to white, appear back up top minus one heart), but maybe they really will be that open in the main game. Which would be awesome.
>>
>>47852136
>with a princess as the heroine.
And >>47846061 already found your princess for you, even.
>>
>>47853575
brb, killing myself again
>>
Hey what happened to that guy who was editting the 1d4chan page to make it understandable?
>>
>>47827378
Some of those creatures literally break into darkness when you kill them. I'd call those demons.
>>
>>47853771
No clue. Wasn't that a while back?
>>
File: IMG_4851.jpg (139 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4851.jpg
139 KB, 500x667
>>
>>47856133
I think so. Still would be nice, right along with a full monster/boss listing and maybe an adventure using the rules?
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.