[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"The only man suited to be DM is the man who realizes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 4501-print_800h-C1.jpg (410 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
4501-print_800h-C1.jpg
410 KB, 533x800
>"The only man suited to be DM is the man who realizes how woefully unsuited he is for it.
>>
>>47804024
Untested semantics.
>>
>>47804024

That's the thing about creative endeavors - you can't be satisfied with what you can do and where you are as an artist/creator/etc. You must be in the 'fuck this is awful, I need to make it better' mindset constantly, otherwise you stagnate, and your audience gets bored.

'If you meet the Buddha, you must kill him,' etc.
>>
>>47804081
My usual mindset goes something like:
>Fuck, I hope they enjoyed that session
>"You guys enjoy the session, any criticism or complaints?"
>"Nope", "I liked it"
>"Okay."
>What if they're just saying that to keep me running because neither of them can GM/wants to.
Cue a 45-minute, self-doubt ridden drive home from the FLGS.
>>
>>47804081
>>47804462
So that's why so many good GMs are teetering on the brink of suicide.
>>
>>47804503
Pretty much.
>>
That's pretty typical. It's like how dumb people overestimate their own intelligence because they're only dimly aware of the rest of the world, but truly intelligent people constantly doubt their own abilities and intellect because they understand that there are lots of people who are smarter and more capable than they are.
>>
>>47804024
Hence why I am foreverGM
>>
Don't you dare creating a logical paradox. DON'T.
>>
>>47804503

That and creating a whole world with all the complexities that includes tends to make you acutely aware of the vulnerabilities present in any and all large systems, at times causing a not-insignificant amount of distress.
>>
>>47804081
>You must be in the 'fuck this is awful, I need to make it better' mindset constantly, otherwise you stagnate, and your audience gets bored.

You don't have to hate your stuff to progress. For some people that would only be stifling - to have faith in yourself and your abilities is liberating and empowering, it allows you to take risks and innovate and pull more powerful things. Whether you like him or not, Kanye West is an example of this. He thinks he's a God but is still fervently, constantly trying to excel.

You can be happy with what you've done without being satisfied with where you're at, not if you enjoy progress.
>>
>>47808065
Not hate, but because you see it develop from nothing, you notice all the flaws. Stuff that may seem invisible to others stands out like a sore thumb to you. You look at that, and notice how it doesn't click with everything and you endeavor to change that. Least that's how it is with me.

Even when I don't want to, I sometimes pull up something I did years ago by accident and I can't look at it. All the flaws I fixed are still there glaring at me, reminding me of what I was like before I got here. Wish I didn't think that way but I do.
>>
>>47804462
Asking them what they like most of the sessions helped in my group.
>>
>>47808164
This.
>>
>>47804503
...Welp, now I'm never going to be able to take a compliment again.
>>
>>47804024
Confidence is key?

Seriously though, No one wants a GM so highly strung that they're constantly doubting themselves. A GM needs to go with the flow and set the mood for the game.

If the mood is self-doubt then that's not suitable.

>>47804462
If your players don't like the game, they would not turn up to play it and I hope they would be honest about it too. I hope your players wouldn't lie to your face after an honest question about their enjoyment.
>>
File: FZ.jpg (59 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
FZ.jpg
59 KB, 250x250
>>47804503
>good GMs are teetering on the brink

Untrue. They may seem that way because they tend to be dramatic types, but there's a line between genius and madness - a thin one, to be sure, but it's there.
>>
>>47811233
wrong

>>47810338
You are also wrong, a GM is best when he doubts himself. Otherwise you are just playing with an asshole. The GM has to be flexible and smart enough to know he isn't always right.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.