[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you choose /tg/? The ability to see the future or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Professor_X-.jpg (98 KB, 589x830) Image search: [Google]
Professor_X-.jpg
98 KB, 589x830
What would you choose /tg/? The ability to see the future or superior intellect?
>>
>>47798937
Superior Intellect. You may know the future, but you need to be smart now. Plus, knowing the future does not help if you're too dumb to make good use of it, plus being smart enough I'd be able to get pretty good extrapolations/weighted guesses in some cases.
>>
>>47798937
Is my ability to see the future something I can activate and ignore at will? I don't want to know everything that's going to happen to me.

How superior an intellect are we talking about?
>>
>>47798937
i wanna be enlightened by my surperior intelligence
>>
Superior Intellect. Design and build a prediction engine capable of factoring in every variable, able to project out every possible solution to every possible problem that the current society is facing, group them by relevance and probability of actually occurring, and "how-to" scenarios for achieving short and long-term goals within the society it's guiding.
>>
>>47798937
Superior intellect, invent psychohistory.
>>
>>47798971
sounds like you need it bro
>>
Even if I could forsee the future, nobody would believe me if I told them something important was going to happen tomorrow. If it was something bad, I'd just be seen as a suspect.

Smarts it is.
>>
>>47798937
Is the superior intellect superior enough to get me out this shitty life and depression my already superior intellect couldn't? If yes, I'll take that. If no, the future. I'll just sit in front of the TV and wait for lottery numbers.
>>
>>47798937
Only if I can manipulate the future would you take the future sight, other wise intellect.
>>
>>47798937
Seeing the future. I don't need to be smart if I know next week's lottery numbers.
>>
Future sight. Smart people are so often unhappy because they spend so much time worrying over what will happen.

I imagine there comes a certain contentment with knowing everything is already in place.
>>
>>47798937
That depends whether or not the future can be changed, and whether or not causality will fight my efforts.
>>
>>47798937
Have both. Overrated. Cassandra problem: you know how horrible everything is going to be (good luck everyone btw) but no one listens to you because you're "that idiot who thinks he's smart who won't shut up about his psychic bullshit" and tell you stupid things about "take your meds" and "patients aren't supposed to be on the computer" kinda shit.
>>
>>47799515
But you already know what's going to happen. You're going to die.

It's already in place.
>>
>>47799549
Take your meds. You're not supposed to be on the computer.
>>
>>47799550
Good point. Can i take neither?
>>
>>47799549
Cassandra didn't know how to advertise.
Claim the Randi prize, invest and start a show.
Sure many people will still think you're fake but after several seasons and raking in more money then you could have ever dreamed based on scarily accurate portents you'll find more then enough people willing to you.
>>
Hmm, claim billions in lottery winnings or bring about the new renaissance?

Lazy shit or saviour of mankind?

That's a rather hard question actually.
>>
>to know the future is to be trapped by it
>>
>>47798937
How superior, and how far into the future? (and is the future that I see fixed?)

Being incredibly intelligent would be great and all, but motivation and applying it could be hard as fuck.

Being able to "predict" things, if the future is fixed, or avert disaster if it's not, that would be pretty handy, and you likely wouldn't want for money thanks to lotteries and the investments you could make
>>
>>47799647
Fuck mankind. Not-edgy.
>>
that depends entirely on the degree of both.
>>
>>47798937
I'm rather satisfied with my current intelligence, to combine it with the ability to forsee the future accurately would be rapturous.
>>
>>47799041
Theyd believe you after you won the lottery for the third week in a row.

>But I can invent shit with intellect
Too much like hard work. I can win a chess game against anyone if i can already see the moves that they would male.
>>
File: tmp_9716-images1811606487.jpg (6 KB, 259x174) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9716-images1811606487.jpg
6 KB, 259x174
>>47798937
Neither. Pic related.
>>
>>47798937
can i have a horsecock & endless stamina instead?
>>
>>47800237
If you have superintelligence you can INVENT how to give people horsecocks.
>>
>>47798937
What im worried about is choosing Superior Intellect and then, once having it, realizing I should have picked future sight....
>>
I can't think of a lot of fictional characters who see the future and don't get buttfucked by that power. I'll go with the intellect
>>
>>47798937
It would depend on the extent and exact conditions:
How far into the future can i see? Is it fixed or can i change things? Can i turn it on and off at will? How precise and at will is it? Can i see what and when i want to see or are there restrictions?
And for the superior intellect: How superior would it be? Peak-Human? How beyond? Will i automatically have knowledge when i choose this option or will it simply be easier to learn new stuff and make connections? Will i retain my personality or will i become a muttering wreck, unconcerned with the trivialities of normal human existence?
>>
File: GodEmperorofDune-LetoWorm.jpg (101 KB, 203x644) Image search: [Google]
GodEmperorofDune-LetoWorm.jpg
101 KB, 203x644
>>47798937
who said i can't have both?
>>
>>47798937
superior intellect sounds like something I can hone and put to productive use whereas seeing into the future inevitably ends up causing debilitating madness.

I think knowing the result of everything you do before it even happens would be eventually become dull. And of course you would be privy to a lot of terrible truths you might feel better about not knowing.
>>
Yeah I'd have to go with superior intellect. As Bardock showed us sometimes being able to see the future means jack shit.
>>
>>47798937
Depends on both. Is the intellect to the point of omniscience? If it is, then I can basically predict the future using it. Is the future sight perfectly controlled, and can it let me see all possible paths or just the most likely one? Xenoblade taught me that seeing the future perfectly basically makes you unbeatable for as long as you can do it. However, the intellect can (in theory) do the same thing.
>>
>choice of two superpowers
>/tg/ immediately assumes it's not actually a choice and one option can "reverse-engineer" the other
>some anons don't even try to justify it and say "I pick both"
>>
>>47798937
Depending on how fine-tuned your prescience is, you can gain many of the benefits of being really smart (and make it seem like you are as well). Rather than calculating that he best course to take is X, you can just foresee the outcome. Still, you'd need basic knowledge of the subject at hand unless your prescience is godlike. The number of things you'd have to foresee to make yourself passable in nuclear physics if you had no real knowledge of the field would be ludicrous. So in the end, I think it's a toss up.
>>
>>47798937
What use is knowledge of the future if I lack the intellect to understand it?
>>
>>47798937
Prescience allows to know the borders
Superior intellects allow you to get over them

Assuming the superior intellect doesn't necessarily override the subconscious, I choose the latter, if it does, the former.
Enjoying imperfection is more important than achieving perfection.
>>
Knowing the future. Depending on how often the future changes I can easily just go to a LGS and pick up a pack, future-sight the contents, and decide if I want to buy it. Also, powerball
>>
Can people change the seen future?
>>
>>47798937

Future.
>>
File: Discussing sexism on 4chan.jpg (22 KB, 257x230) Image search: [Google]
Discussing sexism on 4chan.jpg
22 KB, 257x230
>>47798937
My intellect is already superior
>>
They are exactly the same. You use either to make enough money to build an organization capable of predicting and planning for the future. A large enough research taskforce of non-super geniuses is the equivalent of a supergenius, and enough thinktanks and predictive programs running on supercomputers are equivalent of a prophet.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.