[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: 1465852119931.jpg (478 KB, 440x624) Image search: [Google]
1465852119931.jpg
478 KB, 440x624
Warhammer Fantasy General: Empire Edition

Link to last thread: Old One: >>47759427

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the /tg/ wiki)

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook+%28Hardback%29.pdf (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: /vg/ for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
http://www.the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufactures
http://pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>Steam group
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tgwhfb
>>
File: krampuscard.gif (33 KB, 240x370) Image search: [Google]
krampuscard.gif
33 KB, 240x370
>>47797801
Shilling for the steam group again, feel free to talk come in and start conversation about fantasy lore or whatever you'd like.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tgwhfb
>>
File: received_676904699126952.jpg (67 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
received_676904699126952.jpg
67 KB, 640x960
Posting my Empire Greatsword cosplay, because they're the fucking coolest.
>>
File: IMG_6605.png (379 KB, 640x784) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6605.png
379 KB, 640x784
>>47797816
Second for Strigoi Druids.
>>
File: 1390931967293.jpg (274 KB, 875x1157) Image search: [Google]
1390931967293.jpg
274 KB, 875x1157
>>47797852
I don't even play Empire, but will admit that they're fucking awesome and totally fit to stand equal among Elf and Dwarf.

Just not to the point of being the main characters of every story, faux-Roman, or raw unleaded grimderp. The biggest charm of the Empire is they aren't the fucking grimretard Latin Imperium that's half the game.
>>
>>47797852
Is that you senpai?
I just started empire and got a bunch of greatswords in the mail off bartertown.

I love the way these little dudes look.
>>
We've seen the empire withstand huge beastmen invasions. We've seen several WAAAAGH including a goblin one bring the empire to its knees. We've seen the empire torn apart by civil war. We've seen the empire withstand several major chaos invasions and several uprisings of the Undead. We've even seen the skaven wipe out 3/4 of the population and still the empire held. Each time the empire reeled, but did not break. However, how would they fare if one of the other major civilizations turned against them?

Could The Empire survive a Bretonnian crusade on the scale of the one that Destroyed Araby in just a few years? Or how about if the high elves decided that that the empire needed to be put in its place as a subservient race?
>>
>>47798568
At one point in the early editions, Bretonnia was actually going to conquer the Empire in the immediate future. That was when Chaos was something lurking in the shadows rather than attacking every Sunday afternoon.
>>
File: 153102-sweetangel.jpg (418 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
153102-sweetangel.jpg
418 KB, 1280x1024
What does /tg/ imagine Slaanesh actually looking like now? Going by the fact that of course Chaos is constantly shifting, yadda yadda, but has a generalized form as depicted.

An especially elaborate Keeper of Secrets? The old Warhammer artwork where he looked like a glam rock star with one boob? A horrifying monster vaguely in the shape of a thin humanoid? Giant Sigvald? A female Elf?
>>
>>47797801
Bleh, my dreams have been WEIRD this month. Maybe I should post on /x/...

>be me
>dream I'm the son of some knight
>unfortunate I'm a albino and ostracized by the community but I'm thankfully not a fucking mutant
>the Imperial army passes by, recognize Thunderclaw and know it's one of THESE dreams
>Ser Dad takes off, leaving me and my mentally retarded servants to run the manor
>but as he leaves I glimpse the Emperor
>he looks at me and smiles
>Karl Franz is Nick Cage

I woke up feeling inspired and wanting to slay furries in the name of Sigmar! Also oddly aroused.
>>
>>47798692
Cool.
>>
File: 1436226397479.jpg (144 KB, 578x1383) Image search: [Google]
1436226397479.jpg
144 KB, 578x1383
Are these guys playable? They certainly look cool but I'm not sure if is worth getting more of them for play. I only have 10 for my collection.
>>
>>47798692
>Karl Franz is Nick Cage
>oddly aroused

nothing odd about that, carry on soldier.
>>
>>47798992
6th, 8th, or 9th?
>>
How do you guys find a community in your areas? I'm looking at getting back into fantasy or maybe 9th Age, but my cursory search for a facebook group or forum thread have yielded nothing.
>>
>>47799319
Mine is mainly KoW, some frostgrave and SoBaH, X-wing and infinity for sci fi(some people still have they 40k armies tough I don't see it played anymore).
>>
>>47798691
I don't see a reason to have slaanesh different from its original description
>a handsome androgynous humanoid being with one boob
I always imagine it with white hairs, very long nails and horns that in some way imitate elven ears though.
>>
>>47798645
I'd actually much prefer this than "chaos is going to win and theres nothing you can do about it lol."
Chaos cultists are hardly an afterthought when fuckhuge hordes are invading avery 3 years, leading up to a force literally called chaos uniting under one banner and smashing into the old world.

I'm imagining a setting like this
>the Empire and Bretonnia are stronger than they have ever been
>the chaos hordes are kept at bay, the beastmen are hardly a threat to anything but small villages
>the last orc WAAAGH was decades ago and the greenskins are doing something else like fighting the chaos dwarfs
>dwarfs are focused on taking back their lost holds, leaving the manliness to their own problems
>sylvannia and Mousillion have been dealt with by empire and bretonnia, vampires in hiding

With few of the obvious bad guys at large, tensions Between the human nations grow, secretly urged on by skaven, chaos cultists and Vampires. Chaos, instead of being some giant looming threat, is instead a force in the shadows manipulating the humans into destroying each other.
>>
>>47798568
The brets break against the empire's walls and warmachines, I can't really imagine them winning over the cities.
It's funny to imagine the empire under the rule of the king organizing a revolution in hidden places though.
>>
>>47797860
Now I can't stop imagining strigoi from the vampire coast covering themselves in war paint made from the pollen of giant corpses-smelling flowers.
>>
>>47799555
>warmachines
Aren't the bret knights protected from cowardly gunpowder weapons though? The walls point still stands, but they'd probably win a siege the same way real life armies did most of the time. By surrounding the city until the inhabitants either starved, or came out to fight like men. If the knights surround a city, that gives enough time for the peasants to catch up, start building siege towers and trebuchets, and break holes in the walls for their masters to gloriously charge through. If the beastmen, orcs and goblins can pose a serious threat to an imperial city, the bretonnians definitely can as well. They also have the advantage of that magical protection negating most of the advantages the empire would normally have over them
>>
>>47799691
Only grail knights are protected against bullets.

But you can't conquer a city alone if your entire army gets devastated
>>
>>47799751
>whilist a bretonnian knight fights in a noble and pious manner he is rewarded by the protection of the lady of the lake. Imbued with this divine energy, he is almost invincible. His armor with deflect shot and baleful curse, his lance will pierce through steel and bone, and his charge will smash asunder the tightest pike block or most solid shield wall
>the Knights of bretonnia fight in wedge shaped lance formations....capable of breaking apart even the legendary battle lines of the dwarfs
From the rulebook description. All Knights get the blessing as long as pray before battle and don't flee or fight in anyway unmanly
>>
Reading 3.1 of Nagash. If I had a penny for every time I read the words '..would have killed a normal man, but..' I would be in the top 1%.
My kawaii Nagash husbando will come back one day, right?
>>
>>47799691
I doubt the efficacy of divine protection against careful placed cannonballs to the face honestly, in any case, they could still shoot the horses, can't they?
>>
>>47799961
Even the 6th edition rulebook specifically mentioned the blessing being able to stop cannon balls, but I'm sure it isn't 100% effective. Still, it would be extremely demoralizing to be an artillery crew being charged by a Knight lance formation . You think your well placed cannon shot will tear a ragged line in their forces, but instead only 1 or 2 Knights drop and the rest keep charging undaunted, straight through the halbediers who were supposed to keep them at bay. That, or you think you're safe far behind ranks of state troops only for Pegasus Knights to pull a dynamic entry and slaughter your artillery crews. The generals who were flying around on griffons are have been defeated by Pegasus Grail Knights, and your captains have been singled out for manly combat. All while thousands of Knights are charging straight into your now disorganized forces
>>
Does anyone have the mediafire link to all the lore books???
>>
>>47799821
Propaganda and a mild magical edge. Throw enough lead at anything and it dies, faggot frenchies are no exception.
>>
>>47799961
>I doubt the efficacy of divine protection against careful placed cannonballs to the face honestly
that's pretty much what everyone says until they actually face bretonnians

>magical protection
>fantastic arms and armor
>near-mythical horses
>HUGE NOBLE GUTS
And that's just your average knight of the realm. The more experienced go and hunt dragons for funsies.
>>
>>47798568
There is 3 passage points between the Empire and Bretonnia, each with massive fuckhuge fortresses on every side.

Also, even if the brets can gain some lad, the sheer landmass of the empire coupled with the fact that the populace is used to live as free men rather than vassals make a lasting conquest impossible, or pointless.
>>
>>47800352
>And that's just your average knight of the realm
The average bret knight still has a worse statline than the average pire knight.
>>
>>47800369
I'm not sure why you're bringing up vampire knights
>>
>>47800395
Empire, lad.

Gotta love dat 1+ save.
>>
>>47800407
cavalry without the lance formation is not real cavalry
>>
>>47800415
keep telling yourself that, peasant.
>>
>>47800432
just facts of life, hans

lance is god tier
the archer formation was also really fucking good and I wish they'd kept it
>>
Wait a sec
When Alkaziddar killed Nagash in the throne room, how come there weren't any wights guarding Nagash?
>>
File: drg.png (13 KB, 540x197) Image search: [Google]
drg.png
13 KB, 540x197
>orcs
>>
File: 1464983732680.jpg (345 KB, 857x1200) Image search: [Google]
1464983732680.jpg
345 KB, 857x1200
>>47799319
Depends on where you are.
I see a ton of fantasy played where I am and basically nothing else aside from the hordes of 40k players.
>>
>>47800369
That's because the Bretonnian army book is older than the average Bretonnian player.
>>
>>47799821
>mighty dwarf battle line

Of course they can, dwarfs don't fucking use spears
>>
>>47801048
They used to have spear units around 3rd edition, but they were dropped.
>>
So how do dark elves fair in 9th age, any tins from war hammer fantasy general for a dark elf player, I am having trouble against the local empire player and would appreciate some advice.
>>
So how frequently is merchant shipping equipped with cannon, and how many is typical?
>>
File: sfdf.png (29 KB, 511x336) Image search: [Google]
sfdf.png
29 KB, 511x336
>>47801649
I think the general's compendium or the old man-o-war guides would tell you.

But from what I know fluff-wise from the Black Library novels merchant ships, and even most pirate ships, rely more on bolt throwers and such.

Remember even late-history leading up to the end times cannons are very expensive, rare, and sometimes just explode on the crew.

Bolt throwers are super common though and would be super-heated red so that they'd catch sails and wood on fire when they hit the target.

>>47800798
Also, more orcs.
>>
>>47800456
You talking about TWW with that formation stuff? Because I really wish they had kept formations, also AI reinforcements.
>>
>>47799854
He's his own pope now.
>>
>>47800305
Check the pastebin.
>>
>>47800725
Wights are Old World undead. He was still Nehekharan. Also, for the plot to happen. Maybe because he wanted to cast spells in peace.
>>
>>47801291
Female Orcs and Dwarf Spearmen.

There's something poetic about that.
>>
>>47801854
He means the Brets had unique formations in the table top. For example, they could deploy their knights in a wedge, which is illegal for other armies.

In TWW you can have AI reinforcements, just start a battle near a friendly stack. Prefab formations are for scrubs.
>>
Wud u pat a skaven?
>>
>>47802813
With a hammer.
>>
>>47802813
No, that'd get me super AIDS.

>>47802948
>Ruining a perfectly good hammer.
>>
>>47801687
Aren't bolt throwers realistically pretty bad naval weapons due to their bulk?
>>
>>47803054
Chinese ships had catapults and something that was essentially a ballilsta on them.
>>
>>47802813
>>47802948
with a halberd. That way you can smash it without getting too close
>>
File: image.jpg (297 KB, 1655x987) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
297 KB, 1655x987
WARHAMMER NEWS: Age of Sigmar is getting a shitload of merch, water bottles and iPhone cases and hoodies and such. Just stuff for us to make fun of.

GW is changing White Dwarf. Possibly for the better, but who knows. Back to monthly is all we know for sure.

GW brought back a bunch of LOTR minis.

Universal Battle for The 9th Age will let you play T9A online multiplayer as a video game.

Raging Heroes TGG2 is ending its Pay Pal buying, so last chance to get their newest minis before the prices shoot up from Kickstarter to online store. Best time to buy is now also because it finishes and ships in only a few months.

Coolmini is having a Kickstarter too, very Warhammer Fantasy models for a zombie apocalypse fantasy game.
https://youtu.be/_T2T06YAwYQ
>>
>>47803107
A lot of Chinese ships were basically river barges, though.
>>
>>47803107
The Chinese aren't known for their naval prowess outside of the highly fictionalized treasure ships.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 807x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 807x667
>>47803141
COME ON, DRENGHARAZI, ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE RAKI IS DEAD.
ONLY ELGI ARGUE ON THE HOW.
>>
>>47803191
>not using the armor bearded helmet

Wew
>>
>>47803162
>GW is changing White Dwarf. Possibly for the better, but who knows. Back to monthly is all we know for sure.
I got a newsletter email from warhammer digital about this. But for some reason all the emails I get from them are blank, since the images can't be displayed and as far as I can tell they don't have an online version of their newsletter either.
Care to elaborate on what they said was gonna happen?
>>
>>47803177
>>47803185
The problem is that most pre-black powder naval combat is based on (in three historical cases) flamethrowers, ramming, boarding, and in some cases just having a deck full of archers.

The Greeks and Romans had the most notorious pre-Medieval naval battles, and that was just basically bumper cars and ground combat on an uneven wet surface.
>>
>>47803225
Aren't most naval powers in WHF around the 14th or 15th century?
>>
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 640x730) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 640x730
>>47803210
Preorder for $80 for a discount, going back to monthly, and Donald Trump style promises of greatness, believe me.
>>
>>47803185
The famous naval battle of red cliff was literally just floating fire ships into a bunch of troop transports that had been tied together and were floating leisurely down a river. A great strategic victory, of course, but not much of a naval clash.
>>
>>47803237
Only the Empire.

High Elves have basically the modern American navy via magic, magic animals, and magic wood.
Empire is 14th, Brets are closer to 12th, Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs are in Steampunk, Skaven have WIERD SCIENCE shit like undead fishmonsters and robots as ships, everyone else is closer to bronze age through fall of Rome.
>>
>>47803177
HUGE barges sometimes though until the Junk,

The Junk would also have crossbow like weapons until they were introduced to cannons.

>>47803185
The Junk was centuries ahead of its time.
They just kinda... stagnated after that invention though.
Which makes a certain kind of sense, they had no naval foes, no real interests across the sea, and no pressure to expand that way.
>>
>>47803301
>no naval foes

The Japanese. They just preferred to fight them when they landed, rather than chase them around at sea, where they were less skilled.
>>
>>47803319
Well, no.
The Japanese were barely a blip on the radar of the Chinese establishment for centuries, Wokou were not considered a real threat of any kind, naval or otherwise.
In fact the Chinese bureaucracy used them as indirect taxation.

It wasn't until the Yuan that the Chinese had any real interest in Japan as a thing, and that was never as a naval threat.

When the Chinese actually gave a shit, the Japanese pirates were usually super murdered.
That's what happens when you're fighting fishermen-turned-pirates.
>>
>>47803319
Also, Korea. Best navy, shittiest decisions.
>>
>>47803296
Don't the dork elves have a weird mix of floating rocks, towed ships, and those hybrid oar/sail ships used by the Barbary pirates?

I know at least one Arabyan ship had a djinn for propulsion.
>>
Bretonnia is the early editions was greatly different than it is today. Take revolutionary France and then put it in plate mail and you pretty much got it. King Charles de Tete d'Or ruled over a crumbling kingdom that was once the center of modernity, fashion, and had the power to rival and potentially conquer the Empire.

But Chaos affected Bretonnia as it did everywhere. While the Empire dealt with the Enemy Within and Without, Chaos seeped into the Bretonnians themselves in such a way as to put a malaise on the whole country. The people didn't CARE that their country was a shithole, and the few that did could only makes things decent in a small area. The court of the king was foppish and sycophantic, and callous disregard for the common people was how the nobility felt on a GOOD day. In the old editions, the nobles of Quenelles were known to torture peasants just for giving them a funny look.

this is the lore period I love. Warhammer lore was pretty interesting before it got too huge and unwieldy for its own good.
>>
>>47803402
Goryeo was a Chinese vassal state, conquered by land.

Joseon never fought China, they fought Manchurians (Before they became the Qing) who invaded by land.
>>
File: 1461943205050.jpg (215 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
1461943205050.jpg
215 KB, 873x627
Writing out a tournament pack for a WHFB tournament at my FLGS. Need some suitably awesome art for the title page. Anyone got anything suitable?
>>
>>47801048
>Dwarf shield walls defy real world military logic, as does just about everything in Warhammer. News at 10
The elf knights, the ones who pretty much invented knights, broke repeatedly on Those dwarf battle lines during the war of the beard.
>>47800352
All of this. Empire Knights may have slightly better mundane armor, but that's about it. Magical protection from cannons> slightly better steel armor that will still get priced by Bret lances. Plus there are way more bretonnian Knights than empire knights. In the empire, Knights support the peasants of the army. In bretonnia, the peasants are just cannon fodder meant to soak up damage and keep the enemy pinned in place long enough for the Knights to charge. That is, if the Knights even decide to bring peasants in the first place
>>
>>47803396
Well, Warhammer Cathay would be roughly analogous to Ming China. And while the irregular pirates were eventually wrecked, it did take concentrated effort. They were aware of them, and din't consider their attacks nothing. They were strong enough to defeat local garrisons of poor morale troops.
>>
>>47803589
>Plus there are way more bretonnian Knights than empire knights.

Most of whom are knights-errant, so a bunch of nut job 17 year olds with a mail coat.
>>
>>47803589
>Plus there are way more bretonnian Knights than empire knights
There is absolutely no reason for that. There is even a lot of reasons pointing that empire knights are way more numerous compared to the population than bretonnians.

>In the empire, Knights support the peasants of the army. In bretonnia, the peasants are just cannon fodder
Because the armies of the Empire are way more vast than the shitty war hosts of that backwater nation that is bretonnia.
>>
>>47800352
There is plenty of examples where this magical protection didn't do shit against good old gunpowder trough.
>>
>>47803264
Thanks, much appreciated.

Old school WDs like in the 90s did play a major part in keeping me invested in the 'hobby' even when I didn't actively do anything.

It's happening too late for me though since I'm not really interested in 40k or AoS these days anymore.
>>
>>47799264
8th.
>>
>>47799319

iktf. Noone plays these games in poor post commie shitholes
>>
>>47799264
9th.
>>
>>47804426
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer/Tactics/8th_Edition/Empire
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 493x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 493x700
Best edition coming through
>>
Bretonnia in Total Warhammer is pretty great (do glad CA gave them attention compared to GW), but man, there pretty overpowered. Tried using them in multiplayer, and got dominated by an Empire player. While there Calvary is good, I think it should be better.
>>
>>47805284
Empire is very good. All around army that can counter any threat. Greenskins are also all around great, but they have that oh shit when they realize that wyvern rider is their only counter to gyrobombers.
>>
>>47803674
>empire has more Knights than bretonnia
Nigga what? You imperialfags actually believe this? It's one thing to say the empire has the better military, but saying they outknight a nation who centers everything on its Knights is just plain wrong
>>
>>47799821
Standard knights of the realm do get blessings, but they are minor compared to the Grail knights who even then are far from completely bulletproof.
>>
>>47805549
What would make you think that the Brets have more nobles (aka knights) than the Empire ? If anything, it's the other way around since simple soldiers can earn nobility trough the battleground in the Empire.
>>
>>47805609
Every fluff source with them describing vast hosts of Knights? Most Knights will be vassals to a higher ranking one and never own land. Not only this, ALL bretonnian noble males are Knights, unlike the empire where many of them are ponces and knighthood is not mandatory. Stop trying to apply real world logic to fantasy
>>
>>47805991
>Every fluff source with them describing vast hosts of Knights?
Yeah maybe they just don't enlist as much as infantry as the Empire does, resulting in smaller armies, mostly composed of knights.

Also, Bretonnia is feudal, wich means that EVERY knight has some land (in the fluff errantry wars are even declared for that reason : finding fiefs for young knights). On the other hand, the Empire actually has confirmed landless knights.
>>
>>47806049
Bretonia has "House Knights" landless knights who have completed errantry but signed on with a greater noble's court instead of getting a fief. (It's mentioned in Knights of the Grail for wfrp2e)

And the empire has more "wastrel" (by Bretonian standards) nobility that don't pursue knighthood.
>>
I just read the last paragraph of the End Times. It says the Chaos Gods got bored left the destruction of the world on autopilot and left to invade other worlds and creations.

The keyword is creation. I looked in past whfb sources and there are numerous examples of referring to the mortal universe as "creation".

A creation requires a creator. I guess this confirms the existence of "G*d" in the whfb universe?
>>
>>47806270
>And the empire has more "wastrel" (by Bretonian standards) nobility that don't pursue knighthood.
Where did you got that from ?
>>
>>47806341
I guess the fact that there are numerous actual gods hasn't been a clear enough evidence for you.
>>
>>47806363
You mean demons and beings posing as gods while there is a omnipotent and omniscience creator looming above all.
>>
>>47806363
Except we know in Warhammer no god identified was a creator god.
They just appeared later, all gods came after the Old Ones.
>>47806341
Well, there is the hinted cycle of the Elf gods that Be'lakor shattered. The previous Lileath, mother of Warhammer Lileath, created the world.
>>
>>47806353
The WFRP "Noble" class is more of a foppish rake, there are also many in universities that are little better than frat boy stereotypes in the Genevieve novels(though some of those are also knights) some marry into merchant houses or go into the church as non-knights etc.
>>
>>47805260
Harry?
>>
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a PDF of the "The Hobbit" "Desolation of Smaug" book?
>>
Empire Knights are way cooler then Bretonian's anyway, in both look and mannerism,

Bretonia Knight: "Oh my your filthy peasents, go drop dead while I hunt, and feat in my lands..."

Empire Knight: "Come here you fucking greenskins, i'll kill all of you with my lance!"
>>
File: image.jpg (285 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
285 KB, 720x960
>>47807585
Then you remember what creepy Slaaneshi pompous douches Empire nobility is.

Peasants and Greatswords are the best parts of their respective armies.
>>
>>47800848
>hordes
HAH!
>>
File: 1433098217982.jpg (275 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1433098217982.jpg
275 KB, 1000x1333
>>47808092
Wasn't even a warmachine joke
>>
File: download (1).jpg (194 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
194 KB, 637x358
>The Empire of Sigmar does, what Radious dont...

So now that Tilea has recieved a bunch of merc units, and there rooster has been completley reskinned to make it so much better in Total War, what other human faction deserves the treatmeant?
>>
>>47807585
Bretonnia was founded on killing orcs by the truckload, and as far as actively crusading outside their borders goes, the bretonnian knights sally forth more frequently.

I mean there's the class divide in bretonnia, and the random fey abductions if you've got magical talent, but aside from that it's not a bad place to live. It's a storybook country. Also longbows and trebuchets are pretty baller
>>
>>47809504
What mod are you talking about?
>>
>>47809504
Estalia.
>>
>>47809617
The Empire of Sigmar
>>
Am I right in thinking that Solland was destroyed by Orcs because the writer who created it had a major falling out with Games Workshop? I remember reading it somewhere ages ago.
>>
>>47809755
Ah, I thought that was a modding studio rather than a specific mod.
>>
>Want to read about the End Times
>Those books seem interesting
>Download Nagash book 1
>Walls of text everywhere
>There's 4 more books.

Thank god for 1d4chan.
>>
IS there a TWWH mod that just gives mount upgrades automatically?

I don't want a full 2 points per level like Radious gives, but just getting mounts for free would be nice. MAYBE charge a point for the ultimate mount of the chain like Dreadclaw etc.
>>
>>47807585
Bretonnian Knights are always training and hunting is just one form of that. When there is no enemy to fight they either launch crusades or start fighting among themselves. A bretonnian could never act like an imperial noble or he would immediately get called out for his foppish behavior and challenged to a duel. Some knights even go in a Grail quest and fight the deadliest monsters they can find. If successful they get to drink from the Grail and basically become magical captain Americas. Don't know where the "bretonnians are faggots" meme came from when their entire society is based around being manly. It's the imperial nobles, even the ones who have been Knights and respected generals, who are known for their degenerate slaanesh worship and pansy behavior
>>
>>47810355
End Times Nagash was pretty interesting.

The rest were pretty bad.
>>
So Kislev is coming really soon to Total Warhammer

http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/faction/wh_main_ksl_kislev

It's kinda unfair they get so many starting regions...but considering there getting butt fucked by Chaos and the Norscans first they need a jump start. I hope they'll be able to conquer Norscan settlements.
>>
>>47810513
Estalia is being added guys.
http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/faction/wh_main_teb_estalia
I heard that it's just auto-generated from the game files.
>>
>>47810355
You can read Age of Sigmar. Huge text, very little reading. Like Little Golden Book: Warhammer.
>>
>>47810513
I hope so, I need my ice waifu.

They'll probably add some kind of 'Kislev separatist' faction like with Reikland.
>>
>>47804426
Yes but they generally get outdone by halberdiers. I run a block of 40 and it works but don't expect amazing feats, need support at all times.
>>
How heavily-armored do State Troops normally tend to be in the fluff and TT (and what are the typical armor stats for State Troops and Greatswords in the TT, respectively)?

I'm looking through cosmetic mods for Total Warhammer and I'm not sure if I want them to look more armored or more fancy and varied, and I'm not sure which one tends to be more common in the fluff.
>>
What happened to warhammer battle ? I got out my warhammer 40k models a few weeks ago, after leaving them in my closets for several years because of my studies.
I also have two Warhammer battles armies (Dwarves and Orks) so I tried to look up what happened since I left. I read the wiki (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar) but it doesn't make any sense. How could there be only 4 factions and 4 pages of rules ?
Could anyone briefly explain what happened ?
>>
>>47811286
>How heavily-armored do State Troops normally tend to be in the fluff and TT
Depends on the province. Some are better outfitted than others.
>>
>>47811286
Light armor, shield optional. They'll frequently have steel breastplates and chapeau, but they won't have a set of articulated plate.

The heavier stuff goes to veteran units like the greatswords and knights
>>
>>47810513
>>47810723
I do hope that they don't go for full-on cheesy Bear Cavalry, Kislev has SOME of that sorta stuff but almost never enough to field an actual UNIT of bear-riders.

It should probably just be an option for Lords and Heroes.
>>
>>47811714
Why? Its less retarded than Demi-gryphs.
>>
File: Reikguard_Foot.png (97 KB, 210x425) Image search: [Google]
Reikguard_Foot.png
97 KB, 210x425
>>47798645
>>47798568
>>At one point in the early editions, Bretonnia was actually going to conquer the Empire in the immediate future.
Honestly Bretonnia wouldn't be all that good at expansionist conquest. Their cult of chivalry precludes them from doing the kind of pragmatic things that help ensure conquered real-estate stays in your hands long term.

Wed the daughters of the defeated Elector Count to legitimize your rule of the province and make allies of her family? Of course not! They are peasants! Murder the daughter of the defeated elector count to keep any of her future children from trying to claim their province in the future? Of course not! True knights do not slaughter defenseless women and children!

That and I kind of see Bretonnia getting their teeth kicked in trying to storm major fortified Empire cities, where their equestrian advantage is mostly nullified. Especially since the Empire has dedicated heavy infantry (great swords/Reiksguard foot) who have better armor than most Bretonnian knights. Like pic related and this gentleman here.
>>47798992
>>
>>47811828
But Demigryph knights haven't been a really old meme.
>>
>>47811286
They tend to be more armoured and more uniform in the game than they are on the models, so anything that adds more variety will be truer. As other anon said it also depends on province, Averland state troops in fluff sometimes look as ornate as Great Swords, Stirland are always smelly peasants.
>>
>>47811877
>Murder the daughter of the defeated elector
they're knights, not barbarians

They'd ransom the nobles off to finance their wars.
>>
File: executioner.jpg (317 KB, 635x640) Image search: [Google]
executioner.jpg
317 KB, 635x640
Made an executioner career for WFRP 2e. Basic career. Any opinions?

http://pastebin.com/8JCdcp6i
>>
>>47812279
>>47812279
>>they're knights, not barbarians
That's the point.
>>They'd ransom the nobles off to finance their wars.
That's fine for short term warfare and quick profits, but it doesn't actually help that much in wars of conquest. If Bretonnia somehow got it in their heads that they wanted to conquer and hold big chunks of the Empire, they'd NEED to do something about the families of the Elector Counts. Just ransoming them all off means having to deal with their sons coming back a couple decades down the line with an army claiming that they're the rightful rulers of the real estate you took.

I think this is largely why Bretonnia limits most of their foreign adventures to crusades with limited objectives, and the border princes.
>>
>>47812852
well, that and the empire is a fairly beneficial neighbor

They probably COULD take some chunks out of the border, but they don't really gain anything from doing it.
>>
Why dont the Kislevites, and Nordland team up and march up to the Chaos Wastes, and kill every single Norscan man, woman and child?

Because there blood thirsty monsters in my Total War campaign. Give them a peace treaty, the break it in two turns, and raze some of my coastal settlements
>>
>>47813240
They do occasionally. Norsca's too hard to totally salt though.
>>
File: 1432080445092.jpg (174 KB, 1183x1080) Image search: [Google]
1432080445092.jpg
174 KB, 1183x1080
>>47813240
>>47813318
Remember the Warhammer world is roughly 7 times the size of ours even though it's about the same shape continent-wise.

That's a whole lot of land and many hundreds of millions of people mobilized.

Half the time provinces don't even have enough money to fully secure their borders from Orcs, let-alone attack an entire civilization of hardy warrior-freaks.
>>
>>47813443
Wait, it really is? One of my main concerns with the setting was that there wasn't enough room for a bunch of cool stuff to happen/no real dungeons to explore and all that.
>>
>>47813515
>no real dungeons to explore
heroquest and warhammer quest are pretty well known, man

there's tons of shit to explore
>>
Hey, did they ever say what happened to the Lizards in Albion? Or did that go against GWs wishes and Chaos devoured the island somehow?
>>
File: 1466008209796.jpg (215 KB, 709x636) Image search: [Google]
1466008209796.jpg
215 KB, 709x636
>>47813515
>Wait, it really is? One of my main concerns with the setting was that there wasn't enough room for a bunch of cool stuff to happen/no real dungeons to explore and all that.
Nah nigga.

They give the huge major capital cities and quite a few large towns as examples in the novels, roleplaying games, etc...

But generally they leave it up to the imagination of the person reading the books or running the game.
It's 7 times the size of our world.
They have pretty limitless population and armies (given that they lose millions every chaos and orc invasion and recover easily).

Most of the novels center around small groups of soldiers meant to represent raiding parties and small mercenary bands (like your Empire army on the tabletop).
But many battles depict endless hordes on both sides.

The "Border Princes" is never even really explored and just generally "There's a shit ton of feuding warlords and anyone can start a kingdom at any time".
Giving room for whatever the hell you want as they never actually speak on the border prince's population or size either.

Fantasy is meant to be nearly as limitless as 40k for the purposes of sword and sorcery (low fantasy commoner) players and creating your own backstory for your army.
>>
File: 1465564409573.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1465564409573.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
>>47813677
>>47813515
And those limitless tracts of land, cities, and even homebrewed factions you want to shoehorn in are just the old world; a small section of the world at large.

Ind, Cathay, Nippon, Araby, etc... are never even touched on outside of small mentions.
>>
>>47813515
See, >>47813677

When you do an RP or make a background for your dudes remember that outside of the general guidelines of Imperial "provinces" you're supposed to fill in everything else.

The capital cities of the provinces are generally understood to just be the metropolitan trading hubs of those areas; you could have 30+ enormous cities in the same province that you made up on the spot and it wouldn't break lore.
They just wouldn't be as awesome as capitals are supposed to be.

There's 5000 years of history and a vast Empire for the player to fill in.
>>
>>47811877
Pretty sure even foreign nobility count as nobles for Bretonnian purposes.
They'll even extend the courtesy to vampires counts if it comes to matters of chivalry.
>>
File: image.jpg (279 KB, 1577x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279 KB, 1577x1080
>>47811515
Warhammer Fantasy wasn't a big money maker. Also, they were still kneejerking from Chapterhouse.
So they shitcanned the entire setting.

They made it more like 40k with a massive scale and Space Marine proportioned models, while also making it a mych lighter setting with clear heroes and villains, redemption, and no prpphesy of doom and Chaos triumph. Hell, three Elves managed to kidnap Slaanesh and make him puke up all the souls of the Elves he's eaten so the other three kicked him out of the Great Game. Archaon is in charge of all of Chaos, but he's still a good man inside and will be redeemed after killing Sigmar.

Did I mention they are squatting massive swathes of the old model lines? Because they are.

The irony is AoS is absolutely tanking based on all our information. Even the mass panic buying when they move whole armies to Last Chance (then bring some back for Last Chance round two) didn't even put it in the top ten games in North America. The boxed set for 40k outsold all of it, and it took a year for the "limited edition" hardcover books to sell out. The only data we don't have is GW's own store and webstore sales, which shills push like Trump pushes his presidential chances.

There is hope though. Most fans are rejecting AoS and playing this instead.

http://www.the-ninth-age.com

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_9th_Age
>>
>>47812898
>>They probably COULD take some chunks out of the border, but they don't really gain anything from doing it.
Well you'd get these assholes as your neighbors. I suppose that's greater opportunity for chivalrous glory, but the Current head of the Empire is pretty cool about letting the Bretonnians come to the "Lets kill civilization ending barbarians/monsters" party.
>>
>>47813845
Any attempts to push into the Empire would be massively costly, and quickly countered by the local elector count.

God forbid anyone be stupid enough to push into Wissenland. You say your elf god protects you from bullets? What about ten thousand?
>>
>>47798568
Brets didn't destroy Araby, the wars of the dead and Arkhan did.
>>
>>47813983
It's worth pointing out that huge swaths of Empire knights and vengeful Estalian knights also went on crusade, and that the skaven betrayed their Arabyan "allies."
>>
File: Northlands.png (2 MB, 714x919) Image search: [Google]
Northlands.png
2 MB, 714x919
>>47813240
>>Why dont the Kislevites, and Nordland team up and march up to the Chaos Wastes, and kill every single Norscan man, woman and child?
The Total Warhammer map doesn't quite convey how big the Chaos wastes are. If you tried to wipe the tribes out, a lot of them would get away simply by buggering off into the mountains, across the sea...or up closer to the North pole, where the presence of Chaos is so strong that things turn into 24/7 Silent hill (you thought Chaos corruption in Norsca was bad? HAH!).

Which is really the biggest issue. As super survivalist Chaos worshipers, the Northmen can survive further up north than an Empire/Kislev expedition could. And when the Southerners eventually had to go home, the Chaos Worshippers would simply migrate down south and recolonize the areas that had been razed, which brings you back to square one.

The Norsicans being able to bugger off to the impenetrable fortress that is the Chaos wastes is really their biggest advantage over the civilized peoples.
>>
>>47814271
To add, the northern wastes are literally limitless.
They are constantly shifting and changing and riding to the pole could take 1 day or 100 years.
>>
>>47814809
That's not limitless, that's just a warping of time and space. Limitless means it is literally impossible to reach because you will never be able to travel through.
>>
>>47811877
I remember a time when you could take Bretonnian Knights on foot.
>>
>>47810433
It comes from Americans believing that 15th-16th century Germany is proto-USA and that Bretonnia is Britain.
>>
>>47814944
>That's not limitless, that's just a warping of time and space. Limitless means it is literally impossible to reach because you will never be able to travel through.
Nigga it could be limitless if they wanted it to be.
>>
>>47815030
Americans believe themselves to be High Elves.
That aircraft carrier in Dreadfleet gave them raging fucking boners, the red white and blue is a giant lure, and the excessive use of eagles and lions just seals the deal.
>>
>>47815072
True! But only on an individual basis.

To truly be limitless, it is limitless for everyone. Otherwise it is not limitless but under certain conditions it becomes that way.

Normally I wouldn't bring it up, but Warhammer continuity hinges so heavily on things like that so it must be specifically clear what is meant.
>>
>>47815085
Nah. The Americans are clearly the Lizardmen. Fulfilling the plan of the Founding Fathers/Old Ones while protecting the world from Terrorists. Not Chaos abominations and Skaven you fucking racist. Are you one of those #maketheslanngreatagain assholes?

#notallskaven

The Dark Elves meanwhile are autistic Trudeau's aspirations for Canada. The High Elves are just asshurt Englishmen embittered over the loss of their shitty empire, swamped with Beastmen immigration. The Mexicans are just smelly tribals squatting in Lizardmen territory, usually found in the fields.
>>
How broken are 8th edition rules if you just play with minis you like or try to build a combined arms force that would make sense in-setting?

Also it always struggled with declaring charges before anything else is done in a turn. Does it really makes a lot of difference? Also why isn't Magic phase the first one in a turn? A lot of your decisions depend on whether you get those spells off or not.
>>
>>47810513
Kislev is in Total Warhammer. I kinda assumed they were basically reskinned Empire. Haven't fought them yet, but they don't want to be my bros which sucks
>>
>>47816313
You're good as long as other do the same

I don't get your question about charges

So that fleeting stuff can regroup and/or face the new target
>>
File: lustria.jpg (915 KB, 1536x1923) Image search: [Google]
lustria.jpg
915 KB, 1536x1923
>>47815954
>#notallskaven
#allskaven

REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>47798568
>Or how about if the high elves decided that the empire needed to be put in its place as a subservient race?
The elves lacks the ability to launch a major offensive against such a huge nation as the Empire. HE are only a defensive faction due to its decline
>>
>>47815954
Also the same chucklefucks who fucked over the early dwarven empire
>>
>>47816337
What I meant was that I keep forgeting that I need to announce all charges before I get to move my units. I understand that charging is the most important part of the game and that you have to commit to your strategy... But I just wish there was an alternative system where I can just pick a unit, activate it and do shit with it before I go to the next one. I know it would be a completely different game. But it would be muuuuch easier to learn then WHFB. I struggle with that shit and I have a lot of experience with all kinds of games outside of miniature wargames desu. Can't get those rules down for the life of me
>>
>>47816452
The elves cant launch a major offensive because they are spread too thin, not because they are on the defensive. That would be the dwarfs, and even they have the ability to go on the offensive at times. Unlike Eldar, high elves are actually pretty powerful still, just not nearly as much as they were in their golden age when they pretty much ruled the world.
There was a story where a high elf prince rekt marienberg, if hey really wanted to fight the empire they wouldn't have too much trouble. It's just pointless and many of the other elf nobles got pissed that one of their best trading partners/meat shields was attacked
>>
>>47798691
The way I see it, Chaos Gods need not work too differently from the Realm of Chaos itself.

>An especially elaborate Keeper of Secrets? The old Warhammer artwork where he looked like a glam rock star with one boob? A horrifying monster vaguely in the shape of a thin humanoid? Giant Sigvald? A female Elf?

They could be all of the above.
>>
>>47803162
>GW is changing White Dwarf.
>AGAIN
Just kill it already,it is an advertisement you have to pay for
>>
File: tumblr_nd2m47fhym1sz7asho1_500.jpg (58 KB, 437x602) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nd2m47fhym1sz7asho1_500.jpg
58 KB, 437x602
>>47803575
you can't go wrong with brettonia
>>
>>47805609
>nobles aka knights
I'm pretty sure not all nobles are knights,only a small part of them
>>
File: 1427899374902.png (21 KB, 339x345) Image search: [Google]
1427899374902.png
21 KB, 339x345
>tfw can't run TW:WH on Ultra
>>
File: 1464204100992.jpg (2 MB, 2020x3000) Image search: [Google]
1464204100992.jpg
2 MB, 2020x3000
>>47803575
LOOK at this fucker
>>
>>47798568
Bretonnia has never made any long-lasting occupation, whether in Araby nor in the Badlands. Brets have never be a credible treath for the empire even when the Empire was split in 4 and attacked by Vlad. What makes you think they can win over an unified empire?
>>
>>47817157
In order to join any of the Empire knightly orders aside from the Reiksguard, you have to give up your feudal responsibilities and rights to inheritance. In Bretonnia ALL noble males are knights. So theres absolutely no reason to think the empire has more knights than Bretonnia unless the population difference is that great. And given the larger portions of Arable land, Bretonnia likely supports a population just slightly smaller than that of the empire, and perhaps even more. Still looking for the source, but iirc in one of the novels a visitor is awestruck by just how many peasants there were marching alongside the knights, describing them as swarms.
>>
>>47817452
>In order to join any of the Empire knightly orders aside from the Reiksguard, you have to give up your feudal responsibilities and rights to inheritance.
No. Where did you even got that ?
>>
>>47817375
>Araby nor in the Badlands
Well considering that those lands are shit, why would they want to conquer those areas? thats the whole reason they left Araby after kicking the crap out of them, they had no use for the deserts. They do have lasting conquests in the badlands, a region known as the border princes, but because its infested with orcs they can't conquer more of it.
>>
>>47817478
From the empire rulebook entry on knightly orders, first line in pic related.
>>
>>47817520
>laughting_sudenburger.jpg
>>
>>47817177
What's with the 5 wood dildos strapped to his waist?
>>
>>47818010
They're powder flask. Each flask contains one charge of powder.
>>
File: ebay-pictures-001.jpg (5 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
ebay-pictures-001.jpg
5 MB, 4320x3240
>>47818035
>>
Can any kind anon with far too much time on their hands give me a brief run-down on the differences in the main rules between 6th and 7th? I only have the latter as a physical copy and am trying to teach some newbies 6th (since apparently it was the best GW-made edition?), but every time I try and do a side-by-side comparison my brain glosses stuff over.
>>
>>47803640
What ranges would make good proxies for Cathay? afaik there's no decent historical Ming range.
>>
Fluff-wise, which faction/race tends to put out the most elite forces on the regular?
That is, whose 'regular soldier' can 1v1 and win versus the 'regular soldier' in each other faction?
And if that is "ogres", who else, excluding them
>>
>>47818102
Simple. In 6th you cant measure anything before you commit. You charge double your movement exactly, but you don't get to measure how far that is so you have to guess still. In shooting phase you again have to declare who's shooting whom before measuring ranges.

Charger gets to strike first in melee, casualties are taken from the front line (so if you do alot of damage on the charge the other guys dont get to hit back.)
Your army generates 2 Power Dice in the magic phase and each wizard generates another dice per wizard level (so an army with just a lvl 4 wizard generates 6 dice total, no 2d6, no channels).
Terror has a 6" bubble effect, a failed terror test = flee.
Any army can recruit Dogs of War. 3 units and 25% minimum core in each army. Ranks are 4 models wide instead of 7th's 5. To disrupt rank bonuses you need to flank with at least 10 unit strength in a single unit. Unit strength =1 per infantry, 2 per cavalry, original wounds for monsters (not including any riders).
Units do not get stubborn for outnumbering.
Thats most of it IIRC.
>>
>>47818369
Chaos Warriors then elves, both high and dark. Then brets if you consider the knights "regular soldiers".
>>
>>47818443
>Flat power dice generated
That's amazing
Why would they make it random? The magic in WHFB always struck me as being too strong to be such a random element - it either completely destroyed shit or did nothing based almost entirely on the whims of the dice which feels kind of meh.

What's the general community opinion on the flat dice versus rolling?
>>
>>47817051
That was Sea Lord Aislinn, the Sly Marbo of Fantasy.
>>
>>47818459
That's about what I was thinking, but what about the "literally bred for war and fighting daemons" lizardmen?
>>
>>47818443
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>47801048
I never got that. Spears would make perfect weapons for dwarfs.

A defensive weapon for a defensive army....
Plus Dwarf with spears models look BOSS in a unit formation in games like WHFB
>>
>>47818488

> Most armies had 4-8 dice generation
> Daemons and Vampires had 30+

Trouble is that it affected both your offense and defence dice, so magic was like an arms race where going half-in was irrelevant because you would cast and dispel nothing, despite spending hundreds of pts on deadweight.
>>
>>47818528
They predilige strength and number to actual talent and quality
>>
>>47798568
Why would bretonnia even want to conquer the Empire? To get all the burden of stopping chaos?
Empire is a perfect buffer state that keeps Bretonnia safe from Chaos, conquering it would simply mean taking all the problems on their own back with no boon.

That's the same reason for which the Empire wouldn't conquer Kislev even if it could
>>
>>47818488
Flat dice is a little more tactical as you can more or less plan your magic phases before the game, but like >>47818802 said it kinda made magic all in or nothing. Best solution IMO is to agree with opponents to not go overboard. 6-8 wizard levels is plenty for 2-2500 points IMO.
The army books are full of exceptions to the flat dice though. 6th edition was chock full of faction specific magic items (and a whole bunch of specialty lists).
>>
>>47818802
>>47819175
Yeah I can see how it'd definitely be a problem if it scales way high like that. I guess you'd put a cap in - either on magic dice generated, or wizard levels you can take. Capping the dice flat seems like it'd be better because it still lets you go all out on wizards if you want to versatility in spells, and factions that rely on them more won't get too stymied.

Hey, you think T9A would be alright if we used this rule? Magic Dice generated per phase is 2 + Wizard Levels, up to a max of 8 dice generated? Dispel dice might be like, up to 5 dice or so?
But then we have stuff like Master of Balance that is sort of 'lost' and saying you get an extra dice is kind of strong.
>>
File: image.jpg (407 KB, 944x3497) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
407 KB, 944x3497
>>
>>47819559
It really depends on the army in question, some armies need more magic than others. You guys just gotta find a balance between you guys.
>>
>>47819559
>I guess you'd put a cap in - either on magic dice generated, or wizard levels you can take
Doesn't change shit, I think our group tried in 6th. People will just feel forced to max out the new cap. Also armies like tzeench that get + dice/unit for their mark will feel punished for taking a "fluffy" army.

>>47819559
>Hey, you think T9A would be alright if we used this rule?
Don't do this. The magic is actually really balanced as it is in 9th.
>>
>>47811714
as cheesy as 60 Grail Knights
>>
File: wasteland_warriors.jpg (231 KB, 800x575) Image search: [Google]
wasteland_warriors.jpg
231 KB, 800x575
>>47820390
Woah, guys. Take a look at this:

>http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/339-avatars-of-war-now-support-the-9th-age/
>>
>>47820924
Nice!

Hopefully they make some fucking Tomb Kings.
>>
>>47820945

> Fucking skeleton with a bow
> One of the most generic fantasy concepts
> Literally zero models that don't look like ass

I would've started a TK army back in early 8th if they had even a single Core model that looked presentable.
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 750x600
>>47822008
The Chariots are 10/10. They look like real Egyptian chariots with great skeleton horse sculpts, and a decent crew.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 800x494) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 800x494
>>47822082
>>
>>47819018
They would want to conquer it for the same reasons any forcs wants to conquer any lands: territory. That's the whole reason any conflict happens between the 2 nations, each lord wants to expand his own realm. Large scale chaos invasions don't happen Nearly enough to make the bretonni s think of the empire as a buffer state, and bretonnia sees its own fair share of chaos invasions anyways.
Also the empire did conquer The lands that became Kislev, along with parts of the border princes, the foothills of the vaults and the worlds edge mountain, and even an area of bretonnia in their golden age of expansion. They planned on taking the whole old world. They just lost it all after being BTFO by wood elves and then descending into decadence.
>>
Haven't played since 7th, and looking to get back into 8th edition with a couple of new friends who are digging out their old armies to play using the old Warhammer Fantasy rules. It's apparently using End Times rules, but without End Times characters, and only 25% lords.

The intention is to play 1500 point matches. I am wondering which of my 3 armies to dust off and start using.

Ogre Kingdoms - Easily the smallest of my collections, but I kinda liked them. Seemed fun because they are so fast, and Monstrous Infantry as a baseline seemed cool.

Skaven - Technically two armies for the purpose of this. They are my "childhood" army, easily had this the longest, and can field whatever the hell I want in large quantities.
- Clan Pestilens: Tons of plague monks and priests, artillery, and a plague furnace.
- Warlord Clan: Grey Seer/Queek Headtaker with a lot of Stormvermin and shooting denial, coupled with a few Warlocks and lot of monsters (Hell Pit, Rat Ogres, etc.)

If I had to pick up any of these armies now, which should it be? I am not sure what armies they have (As most of them have 2 or more as well) but they say they are pretty competitive, and play to win. So which should I go for to get the best shot at putting up a good fight?
>>
File: rf 36.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
rf 36.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>47822557
>looking to get back into 8th edition
>>
>>47822628
Not sure what the problem is?

Besides, I am sure as hell not getting into AoS. Everyone I asked looks like they are about to vomit when I utter the name of the game.

Not that Skavens would be fun to play in that game, but whatever.
>>
>>47822628
Play what your buddies play. Few of us have a choice.
>>
>>47822706
Not him, but play 9th. Its 8th but actually balanced
>>
>>47818369
Elves, thanks to their reflexes, intelligence and training. Even their basic line infantry can reasonably go one on one with the heroes if the lesser races in a contest of skills. Chaos warriors in the fluff are considered elites, with mauraderrs being the main line troops. After elves, bretonnian Knights of the realm, then dwarf warriors, then Saurus warriors. Chaos daemons fluctuate through that list depending on who they are fighting and his powerful the winds of magic are. The absolute worst would have to be goblins.
>>
>>47822706
8th is the edition that killed real Warhammer. You want 6th or 9th.
>>
>>47820924
>Compatible with 9th Age
I know what they did there.
>>
>>47823059
>implying that wasn't 7th, daemons of chaos
>>
>>47823059
Different anon, 8th edition fluff and lore, 6th edition rules was what was recommended to me before 9th came out
>>
File: 1350933961584.jpg (365 KB, 2502x3203) Image search: [Google]
1350933961584.jpg
365 KB, 2502x3203
I really don't get why people have such a hard-on for 6th.
I started playing between 4th and 5th and what I can remember about 6th isn't all that positive:

>no steadfast, no break-test rerolls for bsb (I think) meaning I to built my goblins as annoying as I could with magic, war machines and fanatics just to have a good chance at a draw
>ridiculous magic, unbalanced lores/spells, magic dice generation meant you had to go all out if you wanted to get anything done
>no march with enemies nearby, half movement in terrain, low charge range meant many units just never got anywhere all game
>no striking back w/ killed models, attackers strike first rewards faster units even more. I still recall the locall 6th meta as cavalry-hammer. Brets and High elfs were popular. Aim, charge, break trough, repeat.
>Fear fucking auto-breaking
>some ridiculous army books: 3+ ward save chaos fighter lord that is also a lev 4 wizard on chaos dragon with 3+ ward save for the whole model backed by 20+ energy dice

My memory is fuzzy, this is all from personal experiences. What exactly iks good about 6th?
>>
>>47823404
Oh, totally forgot, I also started Dark Elves back then. Oh the fun that was had with that book.
>>
>>47823404
Hasn't BSB's entire schtick always been re-rolling Break Tests? Or did you mean Panic as a whole (which was a change that turned Leadership into a joke in 8E after everyone became Ld10 Re-Rolls).

Ridiculous magic? 6E? Compared to what? It had some broken spells (Curse of Years and Comet of Cassendora spring to mind), but compared to 8E its magic system was outright benign. No "One-in-twelve chance of instantly destroying a unit" or "Make low-I models test or die immediately w/o recourse" spells.

The striking back bit is a meta thing that's varied between armies and editions as to who it favored. Orcs and Beastmen, for example, were fairly solidly shafted by allowing opponents to strike back, as active combat resolution was what won combats for them and when everyone could strike back "Lol but they're T4!" didn't mean shit when you had no armor and low WS.

The characters who were most broken, like the one you're citing, were also extremely expensive and heavy investments: A Chaos Lord (Lord + Hero choice) on a Dragon (+ Hero Choice, if I remember right) with a 3+ Ward and Spell Levels (Tzeentch?) = "Git fucked if playing an army with any War Machines" (even OnG could make such a player regret their decision, courtesy of 4-6 Bolt Throwers plugging them the moment they rear their head).

Terrain was a failing in 6E if your army name didn't begin with either "Beast" or "Wood", yes, but it's been a failing in almost every edition.
>>
>>47823583
>Hasn't BSB's entire schtick always been re-rolling Break Tests?

>eah, I might be mistaken. I thought BSB might have allowed only reroll to panic.

>>47823583
>Ridiculous magic?
Some spells as the ones you pointed were pretty powerfull. Other spells/lores were pretty pointless. And then there is the dice generation. I seemed pretty ridiculous to me. Not that 8th was any better.

If you want a good system take a look at 9th. It's close to perfect in my opinion.

>>47823583
>A Chaos Lord on a Dragon with a 3+ Ward and Spell Levels

The 3+ ward save was what really broke it for me. We played 6th start to finish and one of our regulars always broight that dragon. It never died. In no single game (I think it might have fleed once).

Just wanted to point that one combo out to show balance was pretty bad back then, too
>>
>>47823777
9th is the most balanced Warhammer has ever been. Its also the one you basically have to use if you use newer models from 7e and 8e.

6th is best for nostalgia.
>>
>>47823777
>If you want a good system take a look at 9th. It's close to perfect in my opinion.
Doesn't 9ths dice generation work exactly like 8es? Just with slightly toned down spells? (IMO they still looked too strong for being "2d6 magic dice/phase with channeling" but whatever)
>>
I started in 5th. Best was 6th with tournament limits (max 10 power dice, 0-1 rare per type, 0-2 special per type, 0-3 core per type).
Shame some army book was slightly OP (chaos, but just some combo and not like 7th daemons) and some written by a retard (High Elves, Jack Thorton, fucking Intrigue at Court).

I see the advantages of 9th for people that loved 8th but I hate 8th for the hordes and other rules. Limited movement, dangerous break test etc make the game exciting for me because is how I used to play.

I am happy I played 5th-7th (and a bit of 8th but meh). Best warhammer.
>>
>>47823885
>Doesn't 9ths dice generation work exactly like 8es?

Dice generation, yes. Everything else is alot less random. I'm not going to list all the changes, I'm sure it's been written up somewhere.

What I find most impressive is that all lores, lore attributes and spells seem usefull. I often take only a lev 4 to save points and I always have a reall hard time to decide which of my rolled spells to keep/exchange. Ideally I'd like to have all spells.

It seems like you have way more options in list building as well. No magic, low magic or high magic and the possible combinations of casters and caster levels all seem pretty balanced against each other to me.
>>
>>47823981
This. And even without the tourny pack rules 6th ed was still the best balanced and fun ruleset for warhammer. Until KoW came along, that is.
>>
>>47817165
No one can. Warscape sucks.
>>
>>47812842
Looks nice, needs night hearing.
>>
>>47814944
>>47815095

Seriously - think about this - how do you plan a sustained campaign into an area where you cannot even plan TIME, much less provisions and man power replacement. What year should your support team move out? How many meals per day can you bring with you?

Sure you can possibly arrive, but you are going to argue that this isn't an asymptote on the Cartesian plane?

>Use stronger arguments than pedantic word definitions.

>>47815072
>You da real MVP.jpeg
>>
File: lol wut.jpg (177 KB, 533x594) Image search: [Google]
lol wut.jpg
177 KB, 533x594
>>47824157
>night hearing
>>
>>47817597
What the fuck does that even mean and hiw was that relevant at all?
>>47824547
Good points. Campaigning into the chaos wastes woukd be suicide even without warp fuckery.

Never understood why the empire didn't build a wall like cathay, or a series of watch towers like the dark elves. The ostforts were the closest thing they had to this, but even the , wooden fortresses probabky aren't the greatest defence from northern invasions. Also never got why Kislev cities seemed less fortified than imperial cities. I get the whole Russia vibe, but you'd think Kislev cities would basically be the Warhammer fantasy equivalent of Cadia
>>
>>47797852
Not a bad start. Ditch the obviously modern belts, and lace leather cord through the bottom rings of the maille sleeves to cinch it for a more "tailored" look. I have more advice and patterns should you wish it
>>
>>47824697
Praag and Kislev herself both have absurdly massive defenses. Kislev's oversized walls actually get mocked by an Imperial in a WFRP 2e sourcebook.

BUILD WALL isn't so feasible when you consider the Empire's cost, Marienburg, AND the northern approaches.
>>
>>47797852
You need PURITY SEALS
>>
I don't get all this hate against 8th edition.
It was the warhammer I had the most fun with.
As long as people aren't dicks and try to abuse and game the system ay edition becomes rather enjoyable.
>>
File: 1434197072369.jpg (132 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1434197072369.jpg
132 KB, 2000x1000
>>47825038
>As long as people aren't dicks and try to abuse and game the system ay edition becomes rather enjoyable.
That's literally what happens almost every single time.

Even in friendly games because everyone has tailored their armies to fight off WAAC autism-kids.
>>
File: image.jpg (397 KB, 939x851) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
397 KB, 939x851
>>47824852
>>
>>47813841
>Warhammer Fantasy wasn't a big money maker. Also, they were still kneejerking from Chapterhouse.
>So they shitcanned the entire setting.
Can someone explain the chapter house incident to me?
>>
>>47797860
Thing looks like a cheese puff.
>>
>>47825300

> Be GW
> Make rules for units without producing any models ((Tervigon, Thunderwolves, Ghorgon, Hierotitan etc.)
> Be Chapterhouse
> Make resin bits compatible with GW models and use GW naming convention
> Release a resin kit explicitly labelled 'Tervigon Conversion'
> Kit is popular, lots of people buy Chapterhouse instead of kitbashing multiple Carnifex together
> GW try to sue
> Turns out that releasing the name isn't grounds for shit and they don't own the name
> In fact since Chapterhouse got there first, GW actually needs permission from them
> Huge legal ruckus
> Kits released literally years late

> Never release unmodelled rules ever again, rename everything into something ridiculous for ownership rights
>>
>>47813515
>One of my main concerns with the setting was that there wasn't enough room for a bunch of cool stuff to happen/no real dungeons to explore and all that.
Go back to the AoS thread. Literally
>>
>>47825932
>implying

I felt the world was too fucking small/detailed to have real fun "worldbuilding" in, not that New Coke was a fucking good product autist.
>>
In what way would you guys say the attitudes of Dark Elf society are different from Skaven attitudes?

They both are essentially a race of duplicitous backstabbers where social mobility is determined by offing the guy above you and taking his spot. Law of the jungle, survival of the fittest mentality.

It feels likes it unfair to say their mentalities are the same, so what's the difference I'm missing?
>>
>>47826477
Dark Elves are, when written somewhat sensibly, more a dark caricature / flip of High Elf society than "Lulz 4 da evul". Murder is frowned upon (if you're caught, but with rank comes more and more ways to not get caught / not have it classified as murder), in theory you CAN have societal stations that aren't entirely or even predominantly based around dickery / torture / etcetera (but most will involve it in some manner: See caricature / flip), etcetera. Their society is something people can recognize as, well, a society, if a barbaric and sociopathic one held together predominantly through heavy-handed intimidation.
>>
>>47826759

>barbaric

The Dark Elves are cruel but they are anything but barbaric, they're quite concerned with personal conduct and appearances.
>>
>>47826477
Dark elves recognize beauty and can feel love or affection. Skaven are canonically incapable of empathetic emotions.
>>
>>47827010
Funnily enough, isn't it canon in WHFB that Elves feel emotions much more strongly / to greater extremes than humans? I vaguely recall this being mentioned in some books.

The mental image of a Druchii being "enthusiastically clapping heels together in the air" happy over something is p-great. Especially if someone like Malekith, or Malus.
>>
>>47827567
No, that's only in 40k.
>>
Everyone should just buy Total War: Warhammer, and tell GW to fuck off.
>>
>>47827671
I'm waiting for High Elves or it to go on sale for less than $35. Whichever comes first.

Steam Christmas sales means probably the latter.
>>
>>47822730

I like 9th but the faction balance isn't close to 8th at all. Not even close to 6th, in fact.
>>
>>47827860
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>47827671
That's my plan. I got all the fluff for free thanks to the links, and I will be able to play an even more fun version of the game with all the DLC for less than one nagash. IM shit at painting and modeling anyways and don't have the money for it, TW was the greatest thing to happen to Warhammer
>>
>>47824003
I've not played 9th so I may very well be missing things, but it seems to me that they made magic more random, not less, they just made it so that when magic succeeds it's only okay and not great. E.g., the way vortexes are aimed (1/6 chance of "fuck you" after figuring the normal chances of "fuck you" from miscasts), harsher miscasts, strict limits on number of dice usable per spell, getting rid of essentially all significant bonuses to the casting roll other than irresistable force (which itself is considerably less certain than it used to be). So there is a ton of randomness in casting, its just that it never really pays off, because the spells (overall) are hugely reduced in efficacy from 8th. Seems like an odd choice to decrease the reliability of magic and simultaneously decrease the benefits of it when it works, I would've expected balance-focused devs to increase the reliability and decrease efficacy, to reduce the chances of the table top equivalent of "save or die."
>>
File: 1434245640780.jpg (89 KB, 700x526) Image search: [Google]
1434245640780.jpg
89 KB, 700x526
I literally just had a character in a Warhammer Fantasy RP roll an agitator who's slogan is,

>Make Reikland great again!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.