[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Song of Blades and Heroes and fantasy skirmish wargaming general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 45
File: deep_empire_complete.jpg (973 KB, 2276x1758) Image search: [Google]
deep_empire_complete.jpg
973 KB, 2276x1758
I just gotta say I am enjoying the hell out of this game, and I haven't even gotten a chance to play it yet. I can't get anyone near me interested, and my daughter is way too young to start, but this is the game I will use as her introduction to tabletop.

But what I have been enjoying is making little profile lists for whatever. The game's simple system and built in model generator (where you make profiles from the ground up) lends it to be a fun little activity.

So I started going through some Reaper minis, because this game is pretty much made for Reaper minis, and made some profiles. I thought an undersea deep empire theme list seeking vengeance or something on the surface would be pretty cool.
>>
>>47797057

I've got a book on the way myself to add to my collection. I've got a Mordheim book and Frostgrave in the library as well, and a whole lot of supplemental PDFs.
>>
>>47798064
I just have the main book (print), and some of the supplements (PDFs).

Next month when I get paid I will get the pdfs of advanced sobah and the hammer and forge supplement.

I am also interested in pic related, but not so much to spend money on them.
>>
Here's all I have of the supplements so far.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/58t2w9hu30t37/sobah
>>
>>47798299

Thank you, kindly. I'll drop some cash off if I end up using any of them. I'm always appreciative of more resources for the collection.

Got Mordheim? I think I have a scan of that.
>>
>>47798343
I would just recommend buying the basic rulebook at least. The thing that sucks about it is all the supplements cross reference each other for additional rules and it's a pain in the ass. That's why I am providing those.
>>
>>47798407

Really? Ew, that's ugly. Supplements should be stand alones themselves with no reference material outside of the core rulebook. Possibly incorporate rule tags and classifications to help them tie in together and all play with each other different ways while still being able to interact.

Of course that's hard to keep track of unless you've built the modular structure into it in advance, or release a new edition that restructures the system. The only game I know of that's done something like that is Infinity. Others have probably done it, but that's what I know.
>>
Fucking hell the Karkarion and the Tortoise Dragon look retarded. The rest are pretty cool though, the Slithe Champion in particular looks awesome.
>>
File: Wood_Elves.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Wood_Elves.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47797057

How would you stat WHFB Wood Elves for ASoBaH? Specifically the kind used for Wyrd Wars, so mostly just the smaller infantry and characters?
>>
>>47798680
In SoBaH, no matter what each faction/race has about the same range of Quality and Combat scores, but where the difference lies are the special rules/traits.

A racial constant is everyone would have Forester. Other armies are going to have hell dealing with them in their territory.

Animal would be for the bears and eagles.
artificial for the ents and treemen

Other common traits I would see would be danger sense (rangers and waywatchers), good shot (common among the bowmen, because elf rangers are keen eye), mounted (on stags and bears and eagles), long move on some special infantry (its a powerful and expensive trait so i would keep it on the mounted stag riders), stealth (on the rangers). Most shooters I would keep in the medium range (wood elves wouldnt be used to having long bows because they are unwieldy and visibility in the forests are generally low).

I doubt you would see any heavy armour.

Common personality traits would be cleric (life magic), combat master (for the blade dancer types), hero (elite soloists), leader (obviously), legendary shot (legendary bowman)
>>
Not on my main computers or else I would mock you up some profiles. But using the warband generator, I would follow those guidelines.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/army_builders/SBHbuilderRevised-v1217.html

Remember, Q 2+ is for legendary heroes, 3+ is for most hero types and elite infantry, 4+ is for rank and file dudes who have had little training and are hard to deal with without a leader, and 5+ is for a guy who never picked up a sword in his life. 6+..ew.

As for combat scores, it not only represents how skilled they are in combat, but also how hard they are to hit. The rulebook says a basic human soldier is Q4+ C2, so an average wood elf being Q4+ C3 would account for them being generally more skilled and nimble, but as a result the average wood elf would be more expensive than the average human.
>>
File: WHFB2SBH_V1_4.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WHFB2SBH_V1_4.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Cool warband OP, that tortoise dragon is horrible tough. For anyone wanting more variation in they scenarios (vital for skirmish games) chek this one.
>>
>>47799185
I saved this book from the last thread. An excellent resource for SoBaH. I cant wait to try some of the scenarios out. There's one for just about every narrative you can think of.
>>
File: EventCartsV1_2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
EventCartsV1_2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47799237
I never tried the cards, but they seem fun too. Also if anyone has material for Mordh or Frost, post away too.
>>
>>47798229
Deep Wars build stuff on the relatively simple system of SoBaH to ridiculous levels. Weapon ranges? Have those. Lightning levels. Gotcha. Water visibility? Of course. Now cross refer these three systems to find how far you can shoot. Oh, remember to not dive too fast, or you will die to to decompression.
>>
File: Kaya (front).png (632 KB, 600x837) Image search: [Google]
Kaya (front).png
632 KB, 600x837
>>47797057
Yesss. My game. Last time there was a thread about this I derailed it entirely by spamming pics and blog.

My best advice for getting people to try it out/finding players is to provide everything needed for the game yourself, and then just talking someone into giving it a try.

...Which is actually manageable since that's like.. 12-15 miniatures and some sticks.

Apart from that, make it look good and have fun with it, and people will get enticed.

Blogtime:

My gaming buddy and I have embarked on a sci-fi project for the Post-Apoc version of the system (and other games, but primarily) Mutants and Death-Ray Guns.

We're still a few weeks off of playing our first game, but we'll get there.

Pic related is the first member of my squad
>>
>>47798407
>>47798549

The Advanced Version of the rules have a LOT of the worthwhile specialrules for the game collected in one book, as well as a YMMV reaction system (which we dont use locally because we feel like it takes away a bit of the systems elegance: Still nicely designed, it just slows down play a bit)
>>
>>47799251
Ill be honest, Im really only interested in the setting. I took a look at the reference pages (all 17 of them) for shadowsea and realized they abandoned the simplicity of the system long ago. The setting does pull me in a bunch though.
>>
File: Town Guard.png (316 KB, 600x252) Image search: [Google]
Town Guard.png
316 KB, 600x252
>>47798680
>>47799014

Allready a great post by anon. To be concrete, I tend to have elves be Q: 3+ C: 2 as a base. Forester if Wood Elf, Shooter: Long if Archer. C3 if Swordsmen (or similar), and so on.

I almost never push anything to Q2+ as it takes away a lot of the fun and tactics of the game related to Leader positioning and Risk-Reward mechanics of the activation rolls.

As a contrast, a human man-at-arms (or empire halberdier, I guess) I'd stat as Q 4+ C 2, with elite status improving either Q or C or both, depending on the soldier.

But really, its up to you. These are just the guidelines I go by, but I tend to like my fantasy gritty, and my humans weak and terrified when faced with supernatural monsters.

its also hella tense and fun to play with a warband of weak shitters with pointy sticks
>>
File: GeneralRefScen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GeneralRefScen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47799295
I feel the same about Hammer and forge, the Dorfs clans seemed very cool. Also no one has the pdf version of ASoBaH, not even 7chan were they are quite thirsty about it.
>>
>>47799344
Most definitely. I guess a 3+ on the average wood elf might be better. Because Q is sort of reaction, morale, and cool under fire all rolled into one. C is strength, agility, armor and fighting rolled into one.

So I could totally see an average wood elf 'foot soldier' being [Q3 C2 Forester]

>>47799371
When I get them and hammer and forge next month Ill add them to my mediafire here >>47798299
It's my birthday July 4th so I may put asobah and mutants and deathray guns on my gift list for the wifey.
>>
File: Fear_and_Faith.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Fear_and_Faith.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47799396
I can add the pdf I have if you want them, I have Fear and faith and some more (Shakos, Merlin).
>>
>>47799424
ooh cool thanks. Ill add those tomorrow
>>
File: Song of Drums and Shakos.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Song of Drums and Shakos.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47799446
Another one.
>>
File: Song of Arthur and Merlin.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Song of Arthur and Merlin.pdf
1 B, 486x500
This one is pretty good, for semy historical war bands.
>>
If you ever want to up your game to mass skirmish, take a look at Dragon Rampant. It's just as rules light and generic but for larger battles.
>>47797057
Might also be an option to get people into SoBH, if they have a whfb/kow/aos army but are reluctant to try 'generic' rulesets.
>>
Also for large battles I only have this one. Of gods and mortals seems quite cool, but I didn't play it.
>>
>>47799568
I read a bit about it from some anon in the KoW thread, how is it? I was thinking to use from Gods and mortals as a bridge between great battles and skirmishes (also because the dominions vibe is pretty cool) but Dragon rampant sounded quite cool.
>>
>>47799655
I'm probably one of these anons that talked about it in /kowg/. You couls say that I'm shilling a bit for the game...
Anyway I wouldn't recommend if, if I wouldn't rhink it was a really good game.
The best way I ca describe it, is that it's what I wanted AoS to be.
-mass skirmish
-less models per unit than whfb
-no square units
-no bloat of special rules
-less of a gap of powerlevel between the different units than in whfb, so my basic units are finally not a tax anymore
-easy to learn and fast to play

Also its as generic and thus as flexible as SoBH. You have different kinds of units ( (elite)infatry, (elite) shooty infatry, (elite)cavalry and so on) and a pool of special rules which you can buy for the units.
Don't want to shill here anymore now, I didn't know there was a mass battles set for sobh (>>47799582) but that one looks really heavy on rules.
>>
>>47799750
Song is pretty awesome but other systems are cool bro, plus Shakos is for napoleonics. I think they were making a more mass battle game with song but I don't know if it was ever released. I think they bunched it together to make the osprey game Gods and Mortals. Lately Osprey is more awesome than ever, they were ever cool but mang that's some extra levels of rad.
Also how big are games for rampant? And how's the magic and dice use?
>>
File: SBH 5th.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
SBH 5th.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>an actual Song of Blades and Heroes & Reaper Bones thread on /tg/

Literally wanking myself off right now. Since I "returned" to the hobby, I can't be arsed with big battles and complex rulesets any more.

Think I might have to purchase Advanced, not seen it on the web anywhere yet. Here's the Revised Fifth Edition though, much clearer than the badly translated Fourth that is commonly shared.
>>
File: 1461068637275.png (902 KB, 1128x693) Image search: [Google]
1461068637275.png
902 KB, 1128x693
>>47799853

I've got this lot that need making into a motley crew. Need to decide on a colourscheme though.
>>
>>47799922
wtc pilgrims, love the pathetic aesthetic

>mouslings

But...why?
>>
>>47797057
>Song of Blades
So since there's no set miniatures, you can basically use whatever you want for your army, as long as it's close enough in looks? Is it ever confusing?
>>
>>47799933
Nope, it make your imagination fly tough, picking this or that mini and making his stats is pretty cool, and a more your dudes warband you can't make.
>>47799922
>Rock Tower-Fort and his ratty fellows..
>>
>>47799815
About 30-50 models for normal game. Units consits of 12 models for infantry and 6 for cav. Casting is a normal activation like move or shoot. If you succeed to activate the caster you cast the spell. Spells are mostly buffs and debuffs though. Dmg Casters are suggested to be played as shooty infantry/cavalry.
>>
>>47799933
You make your own unit profiles to fit the models you have
>>
>>47799931

Battle Pilgrims are from the Brettonian Grail Reliquae, no idea if it's still in production with Age of Shitmar. Think they might have also been available as a separate blister pack.

>Mouslings

Because the idea of this band of holy questing types running into mouse Robin Hood & friends and them tagging along sounds like an idea. They have the same Medieval "dagging" pattern on their clothes too.
>>
>>47799993
>no idea if it's still in production with Age of Shitmar
They're not, which is why I wtc, not have copped.
>>
>>47799958
How it deals with big monsters and powerful heroes?
>>
>>47800007
I had to look up what wtc means. I am old now, I guess.

>>47799993
Idea is solid, run with it! Go have fun with the warband builder.
>>
>>47800032

A monster or particularly powerful hero is just treated as a unit, consisting of 1 model. Instead of being, eg., 12 models, it just has 12 wounds.

This works well because of the way the system is written: You always roll 12 dice for combat, unless you are at 50% initial strength or below. Then you roll 6.

Smooth, elegant, and makes monsters make sense within the system. They are powerful but not dominant.
>>
>>47800032
There is are unit types for monsters and heroes, can be played as single model units of any kind. The model count on a unit isn't set, just the wound counr. So a 6 model elite cavalry is the same as a unit depicted by one model. It's rather abstract but an epic hero is basically just that, one man that is as strong as 6 (or 12).
>>
>>47800102
>an epic hero is basically just that, one man that is as strong as 6 (or 12).

I've been waiting for this mechanic in a game for some time. I own G&M and DR, I might actually have to read them now.
>>
>>47797057
I've so far only had positive experiences with SBH as well.
Granted, there is not much detail but it's not really necessary if you're looking for a standup fight and some good, violent fun.
>>
>>47800102
>>47800065
I see, and how varied are the power/special rules then, to diversify armies and stuff?
>>
>>47800143
There are enough to cover everything, but it's a common complaint that there should be more and some are rather useless. You can easily make up your own stuff though, and there are already lists of homebrewed special rules and spells on different blogs.
>>
File: Albrecht Houser.png (987 KB, 1048x988) Image search: [Google]
Albrecht Houser.png
987 KB, 1048x988
Post y'alls speshul donutsteel snowflake characters that you use in your warbands, or just character inspiration.

>> Pic related, propably my most played miniature over the last year.

>>Albrecht Hauser [Personality]

Q 3+ C 1
Spellcaster: Fireball.

38 Pts.

Known for: Failling "I cant fuck this up" activation-rolls all day and lobbing fireballs that do fuck all to anyone but my own guys.

I love the lil' bugger.

Miniature is from the old Citadel Adventurer Starter kit (I think its called)
>>
File: 1413771052117.jpg (175 KB, 414x571) Image search: [Google]
1413771052117.jpg
175 KB, 414x571
So, how's wrath of kings? I dig the minis but the gameplay doesn't seem to have lots of adepts. Plus they are expensive.
>>
>>47799933
The system allows you to build unit profiles completely from scratch, and assigns a decent points value to them. So you take a mini, make his stats, and there you go. It's a simple system so it's easy to convey to your opponent what it's capable of so there are no surprises.

Because it assigns points based on what you give it, you could make all your minis super elite badasses, but you will likely be outnumbered and that has its own drawbacks.

In the OP, all those profiles I generated by myself based on how they looked.
>>
>>47801656
who is this semen demon, I would like to requisition sauce
>>
>>47802485
lotr minis should fit fine with reaper ones i think. warhammer minis go heroic scale, whereas reaper and lotr try and stay truescale.
>>
File: bac9519026_1024x680.jpg (90 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
bac9519026_1024x680.jpg
90 KB, 1024x680
>>47802592
I didn't tough reaper was true scale, I will look it up thanks bro.
>>
I updated my mefiafire here >>47798299 with everything I have in one convenient location.
>>
File: 2015-05-10-classy-helen.jpg (264 KB, 900x1423) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-10-classy-helen.jpg
264 KB, 900x1423
>>47804035
We only need fightin fungy, hammer and forge and ASOBAH to get a nice pdf base. And deepwars seems interesting but I doubt we will get a pdf for it.
Also anyone has tried the other ganesha games than aren't inspired in sobh?
>>
>>47804088
i will be getting a physical copy of asobah, sorry. But I will be buying a pdf of fire and forge and will bring it here early next month.
>>
>>47802666
Thanks Satan. In my experience, a lot fo Reaper figures are much larger than your standard 28mm dudes, and they aren't really truescale like the LotR ones. It has something to do with how they scale figures across the pond, with Americans measuring from the base to the eyes, and Europeans measuring from the base to the top of the head. That said some Reaper figures from European scultpors (Werner Clocke for example) actually are the right size, but all of them have exaggerated proportions.
>>
File: alizee-o.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
alizee-o.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47804088
Don't feel bad brah, we will get it some day for sure. Some day.
Also anyone has ordered from the Cadwallon slavs? Are they trustworhty?
>>
>>47804699
They are. I haven't been cheated by them once. Combined with WoK figures you can make a decent Rackham styled army.
>>
File: Liftin Girls.jpg (68 KB, 500x506) Image search: [Google]
Liftin Girls.jpg
68 KB, 500x506
>>47804733
Or war band, they wolves are pretty cool, plus the Dirz clones army and gobs have some serious soul in them. So many minis to decide too then, they catalog is very wide.
>>47804671
So mixed bag then? Could be worse, at least the monsters they have from bones don't need to be perfect scale.
Anyone knows a good minis than could represent a black numenorean mage/prince? The one gw has don't tick it.
>>
>>47804867
With scales, yes. I would also say that the sculpts themselves can be a mixed bag too. While I love anything that Trey Manor touches, some figures like their giant spider look like god damn Halloween decorations. I would recommend looking at the figures in their blisters in person at wherever you buy them.
>>
File: bloodstonegnomes_complete.jpg (1 MB, 2157x2112) Image search: [Google]
bloodstonegnomes_complete.jpg
1 MB, 2157x2112
Did another fun list. I love going through Reaper's lines and seeing what might be fun to run in sobah. These are the Bloodstone Golems from their game Warlord.

Basically a bunch of gnomes took up residence in a cave system that was rich with a magical stone (kinda like warpstone) which imbued them with power but drove them all insane. Its a pretty unique take on gnomes.
>>
>>47806779
They are quite cool, the meso american stuff suits them. Those crab/beetles are cool as fuck.
>>
>>47806779

Reaper need to Bones more stuff up
>>
>>47808312
The new batch from the Kickstarter is going to be in their store later this year
>>
File: Cat Excite.jpg (65 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
Cat Excite.jpg
65 KB, 720x690
>>47808324

Excellence.
>>
>>47808324
Eh, it's mostly just their dark heaven and chronoscope minis. I want more Warlord minis, because they generally fit a theme and that would be cool.

However I can get their reluctance because all warlord minis are meant for slotta bases, and there are no slotta base bones. So they have to convert the old models (which most are probably not 3d models) and redo the casts with little built in bases.
>>
>>47804035
Sweet, I'm liking what I'm reading
>>
File: Birthplace of Stars.jpg (304 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Birthplace of Stars.jpg
304 KB, 1680x1050
How does the game play? How many models are generally in the average team and how's the average turn look?
>>
>>47813446
>How does the game play?
Very quick and simple. It's a game that is ideal for small skirmishes. For each model you need to only remember 2 stat numbers and a few special rules. All ranges are done with the same 3 measuring sticks, so no measuring tape.

>How many models are generally in the average team
Average game size is 300 points, and that's generally 5-10 models.

>and how's the average turn look?
That's a big part of the way the game plays, and where some of the strategy lies. Basically when it's your turn, you activate a model, then do the next model, and keep going. But whenever you activate a model, you roll to see how many actions you can give it, but the more actions you try for it, the higher risk the turn gets passed to your opponent and he begins activating his models. Of course he has the same risk and turn can get passed to you. I can expand on this further if you want, but basically activating models can bring high risk but high reward situations. Turns go by quick because of how measuring and rolling is done.

Also the game is great because you build your models profiles from the ground up, and build them to suit how you want them to play, traditionally what they look like. So if the model is some peasant looking dude with a sword, you stat him as a cheap cannon fodder militia guy. If he's wearing gold trim plate wielding a grand runic axe, you build him as the awesome asskicking hero.
>>
>>47814367

>Also the game is great because you build your models profiles from the ground up, and build them to suit how you want them to play, traditionally what they look like. So if the model is some peasant looking dude with a sword, you stat him as a cheap cannon fodder militia guy. If he's wearing gold trim plate wielding a grand runic axe, you build him as the awesome asskicking hero.

That does seem neat. It's a contrast to Frostgrave, which has a lot of catch-all generic profiles, so you instead build each type of model from scratch.
>>
Are the PDFs in this thread from 5E or 4E? I'm looking to add the former to my collection
>>
>>47814497
5e i think. The main pdf of sobah is a different format to my 5e hardcopy but everything is there.

>>47814480
It is a pretty fun feature. There are limits to the system, but the fun part is working within those limits to try to fit the theme of the model. The stuff I did here >>47806779 >>47797057 was made with the core rulebook generator alone.
>>
File: stormcasteternals_complete.jpg (1 MB, 1360x2635) Image search: [Google]
stormcasteternals_complete.jpg
1 MB, 1360x2635
I made another one. I don't care what anyone says, I love the stormcast eternals.

The Music and Standard Bearer traits are the only ones not in the core rulebook, but in the supplements.
>>
>>47814852
>>47814707

I actually find this system really attractive now. Frostgrave puts forward the idea that any models can be used to represent a number of basic models in a warband, and while that certainly solves a lot of balancing issues (since everyone has access to the same stuff) it's not hugely fluffy if you're craving mechanics to back up what your guys can do.

This system is nothing but that. Goblins, Elves, Knights, Demons, Fish People, Elementals, Magitech Constructs, Fiendish Puppets and Carnival Clowns... You can represent practically anything you have a model for with a few well-chosen rules and abilities.
>>
>>47815331
Now you're feeling it. One thing frosgrave does well though are the many random treasure tables, but additional supplements provide more of that.

Song of deeds and glory provides an expanded campaign system
Song of gold and darkness is about dungeon delving for treasure
Song of wind and water is mostly about different environments and more magic
>>
>>47815384
The magic item tables from Gold and Darkness. Hnnnng. Those are good.
There's also some really neat traits in there.
>>
>>47815384

Expanded tables are always good.

I'm wondering if these rulesets can be interchanged or at least partially merged with other systems. Are they better standalone, or can they be mixed up a bit. I've got Mordheim and Frostgrave in my library already and I'm curious as to whether these systems can take inspiration from one another.

Though it seems like ASoBaH is more encompassing than most and can easily fit in anything Frostgrave and Mordheim has to offer. I suppose choice of system is what it comes down to.
>>
>>47815441
As another anon uploaded here >>47799185, thats about the best way to combine sobah with mordheim and warhammer skirmish. It's really all about the scenarios and story since the minis can be whatever you want.
>>
>>47815515

I've got a copy already, and I agree, it's a great resource.
>>
File: dispossessed_complete.jpg (546 KB, 1265x1398) Image search: [Google]
dispossessed_complete.jpg
546 KB, 1265x1398
Here's another. You know I should be painting my army for a tournament later this year, but im doing this instead. Oh well.
>>
>>47814497

I think they're all 4th, I actually don't know if any of the expansions were released again after >>47799853

They are perfectly compatible though, it wasn't so much a new edition of the rules as just clearing up a lot of the awful translations to make it more concise.
>>
>>47815441
Perhaps we could use the treasure/exploring tables to spice it up,. And some of the scenaries from frostgrave too.
>>
polit bump
>>
>>47816490
It's pretty easy, with a bit of flexible thinking, to adapt those kinds of tables for SoBH. Or to just write new ones and use the old ones as inspiration, much in the spirit of the game itself.

I wrote an entire campaign-system with basebuilding pretty much inspired by mordheim in that vein for my local group. Worked out fine (Needs a bit of tweaking, though, but everything does)

Those kinds of things are half the fun.

I also recommend checking out the randomized gang creation and survival-focused campaign system of Mutants and Deathray guns. Haven't run it, as we have no post-apoc or sci fi miniatures painted (Something we are working on changing), but it looks really interesting. I like the design of it alot on the surface of it.
>>
File: painting_hq1_d.jpg (589 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
painting_hq1_d.jpg
589 KB, 1280x544
>tfw everyone near you is a 40k, Warmachine or X-wing shitter who would literally have no time for a genteel "Your Dudes" game like this

I have a shitload of Heroquest models that are getting hacked off their integral bases (fucking pain) and put on round ones.

I love crappy old monopose models for some reason. Pic not mine, but it just shows how they still brush up nice.
>>
>>47818178
Its absolute suffering. People seem to hate fun.

>>"muuh armylists. muuh competitive".

But that discussion is old anyways. There's usually always someone around with the same mindset as you, or a similar enough one that you can have fun, its just hard to find them.
>>
>>47818791
I love my country, but sometimes I really do wish I lived in the UK for the gaming community alone. Narrative and fun gaming is king over there.

Here in Burgerland it's all competitive gaming all the time.
>>
>>47819026

Burgerlander speaking. I'm attempting to assemble a narrative skirmish game myself, though it's going to take a while.
>>
>>47819026
I feel your pain. My country is small enough that most niche hobbies are very sparsely populated. Even 40k and warmachine seems to be struggling lately, so it's been a real struggle to find someone to game SoBH with.

At my lowest point, I had to press gang roommates, unsuspecting friends and my gf into playing a game or two with me.

Luckily I bumped into a guy with pretty much the same problem as me, so we actually get regular games in now.
Basically, what I did was just to keep on blogging about minis I was painting and random hobby bits and bobs, and then getting the occasional "Hey, you should try this"-game in.

But yeah, some of the communities in the UK seem near mythical when you read about their conventions and events. Honestly considering traveling over there for Salute or Bring Out Your Lead at some point. Or just to visit Foundry HQ.

thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>47819026
>>47819211

Now.... kiss!
>>
Anyone has tried fightin fungy? It seems weird, but cool.
>>
>>47801656
reverse image search says it's a Brazilian trans women from tumblr
>>
File: eu19N2r.jpg (710 KB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
eu19N2r.jpg
710 KB, 3872x2592
>>47821045
I would berry it the same brosky.
>>
>>47821182
passable, as long as the collar stays on
>>
File: Dark Sword Faerie.jpg (52 KB, 524x650) Image search: [Google]
Dark Sword Faerie.jpg
52 KB, 524x650
Anyone has Dark Sword minis? How well they scale up to other minis? They seem pretty cool for heroes in warbands.
>>
>>47822447

I've got a couple.

Darksword miniature scale very well with other heroic 28mm miniatures, but keep in mind they're a little less cartoony and more realistically proportioned than GW heroics.

They should mesh well with near anything you populate the rest of the table with.
>>
File: Darksword Rattleboneimg6690.jpg (28 KB, 312x400) Image search: [Google]
Darksword Rattleboneimg6690.jpg
28 KB, 312x400
>>47822477
Sweet, I was thinking to merge them with some Divine Rage and lotr, and they are more true scale than silly heroic gw ones. Hows the quality of the casting and stuff?
>>
>>47822545

It's pretty slick and professional, albeit I haven't taken a look recently as they're currently sitting in my backlog of stuff to assemble, paint, and have tabletop ready (and what a backlog it is).

GW LotR? That stuff's 25mm rather than 28, though while it might look a little odd close up it's fine at a distance, especially if you want that 28mm model to accentuate their bulk or build in comparison to the other models.
>>
>>47822602
Good point , I dedusted some wh minis and is quite odd the scale, legolas is quite dwarfed be a beastmen, and an imperial lancer is a mm or two taller. Orcs are dorky looking too, but well they are all minis from the 6th edition. Also I need to learn to paint, basecoting and a few basic colors doesn't cut it as an adult.
>>
>>47815829
From where is teh steamsuit? Reaper? Pretty cool list but what the fuck is duardin, the name of your warband?
>>
>>47823900
It's the new name for Dwarves that GW gave them, along withr renaming Elves Aelfs and skeletons Deathrattlers.
>>
>>47823900
The steamsuit is from black scorpion miniatures. it's a dwarf juggernaut which is for some fantasy sports game. I took it and reposed the arm and gave it the great steam hammer from an old GW dwarf engineer mini.

The Duardin are the new name for dwarfs in age of sigmar. I have a duardin army in AoS as well as my stormcast eternals.
>>
>>47797057
Can this handle squads vs squads, like Dark Age or Warmahordes?
>>
>>47825228
You mean groups of warrior with leaders? Yep,not as much as an unit. Of gods and men is more for that tough, it's more like warmachine than SOBH. In Sobh you have only heroes and troopers, in Gods you have also gods than are like warcasters in steroids.
>>
>>47825228
Yes. There are group activations. Where you use a leader character to give orders to activate groups of models at the same time, which has its own benefits. But everything is still pretty much handled model to model. It's not really a units or mass battles game. But group activations does help if you are going larger points.

The game is mostly designed for smirmishes between teams and small warbands. And campaigning with them.
>>
>>47797057
Pair that with some themed terrain and it would be a really cool project.

Maybe a variant on this as a starting point
http://ludstuff.blogspot.com/2011/02/tabletop-gaming-making-mammoth-cave-pt6.html?m=1
>>
>>47825402
>http://ludstuff.blogspot.com/2011/02/tabletop-gaming-making-mammoth-cave-pt6.html?m=1
Whoa, that one is gold, very cool but a bit too much for storage unless you have a gaming club to deposit it.
>>
>>47825402
That is pretty cool. I do plan on making some water caves using hirst arts molds in the future.

Something like this.
>>
>>47801656

I really like it but it gets very mixed reviews on /tg/, people don't seem to like the objective system which desu seems like the easiest fix in the world.

I really like the combat resolution and the activation mechanics, I like that it makes leaders important without just taking the lazy road that WM/Hordes took by just making it "If they die you loose". If they die life will be hard sure, but it's not an instant loss.

I honestly think the game could do well if CMoN would pull their finger out and realise that supporting a game involves more than just releasing stuff for it.

Honestly I don't think the prices are that bad, the starters could do with being maybe $10 cheaper.

I like the fluff too, I honestly thought the short story in the rulebook was fantastic.
>>
>>47826038
Same about the fluff, the short novella they has was very fine for a wargame one, a lot better than I expected. The jellyfish guy loosing his spaghetti was pretty fun and you ended liking him.
The minis are too expensive for plastic too, but they are very cool. I'm torn, for the fluff and they masked ways I love the nasir, but the sea monster faction has some sweet minis, specially the new wave.
>>
File: forthammer_complete.jpg (759 KB, 1587x1800) Image search: [Google]
forthammer_complete.jpg
759 KB, 1587x1800
Made another. These are for my collection of reaper dwarfs. I added some special abilities found in some of the other supplements, mostly for campaign benefits.

I had these guys all named and everything for Frostgrave, but I'm liking SoBaH more.
>>
>>47826090

"This isn't a sacking, it's a pogrom"

That was refreshing. To have a character actually be disgusted by what's going on around him. I love the background for 40k but I think it started a trend where all the characters in miniatures games are kind of psychotic, that and D&D's influence where entire factions and races being "lawful good" or "chaotic evil" or whatever which is a ludicrous notion that leads to bad storytelling.

All the characters in WoK are actually people and the factions more complicated which I really appreciated.

I know it's a fairly tired comment that gets made about a lot of games but you really don't need that much stuff to play WoK so the higher prices aren't TOO bad.
>>
Any recommendations for a dungeon crawler? Like the usual generic 4 heroes against a random enemy?
>>
>>47827614
Check out the song of gold and darkness supplement. Even has rules for solo play
>>
>>
>>47826038
I haven't heard too much actual negativity about the objective system here, other than "I can understand why it puts some people off/is not very competitive friendly". Most of the time, people seem to like it, actually, despite saying that.

The price is ok. The starters are a big lump price, but you need to sell them not as starters, but as army bases. Because that's closer to what they are, there's enough in there for a Skirmish level game with a Leader model leftover.
>>
File: dawn dunsdottir.jpg (71 KB, 497x458) Image search: [Google]
dawn dunsdottir.jpg
71 KB, 497x458
I want 2 dwarf bear riders, so I am going to make another one. I got this metal bear a while ago for a failed conversion project. Now I am going to put it to use. The dwarf warrior there is who is going to mount on it.
>>
>>47826418
THat's a pretty cool warband, the indian-dorf with the butcher knife, the hook ones and specially mini gandalf are top kek.
>>47832998
Saddle or mahoud style? Bear chariot is amusing too.
>>
File: goldencompasspolarbear.jpg (151 KB, 425x320) Image search: [Google]
goldencompasspolarbear.jpg
151 KB, 425x320
>>47833508
I'm planning on cutting off the faux-base, boiling her in some water for a bit to spread her legs and get her to straddle the bear's back. Then try my hand at more greenstuffing and make a saddle with barding from a bunch of extra warhammer dwarf bits. I will try to duplicate similar barding on the bones bear rider i already have pictured in here >>47826418

Im taking inspiration from the golden compass movie for their barding. Shit movie, but the polar bear fight scene makes it worth the ticket, so to speak
>>
>>47833585
I loved that scene in the books, I never seen the movie tough. Also I dunno,the idea is cool, but I never handled bones before, but she has shorter legs and the tabard thing will make it a lot more harder than it seems I wager.
>>
>>47833611
Well on the other bear rider here, her legs really arent straddling that much. The good thing about bones is its super easy to cut up reshape and work with. The tabard i will cut away from the body a little, and with hot water again, spread it out from the legs so it drapes over the bear's back. This should get her to fit a little more snug. Once I get her pinned on the bear, then the rest is easy. I just have to face the challenge of making her look like she is riding it.

So you dont need to watch the movie, just watch this part
https://youtu.be/2FBXOrb6loQ
>>
>>47833653
>Dat finishing blow.
Hehehe. Best bear.

And talking of it, anyone has tried an all animals warband?
>>
>>47833872
I was so surprised that they let them get away with it considering everthing else that got edited out for that film. (Though he didn't rip out and eat his hear either.)
>>
Fucking Reaper Bones though, massive pain in the ass to actually paint
>>
>>47834212
The smooth detail can be annoying on the human sized figures, but the large ones are fine.
>>
>>47834212
Wash them, spray prime them and they're fine.
>>
File: Undead Warband.jpg (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Undead Warband.jpg
91 KB, 800x600
Any help with building two fairly balanced 300pt lists from the back of >>47799853

I want to introduce a friend to it, but I'm unsure how many low/high Quality and ranged weapon models to use to make it exciting.
>>
>>47834849
Cool warband bro, about the quality thing, +2 is for gods, epic heroes and monsters and all that stuff,like a generation 1-3 in Vampires the masquerade or Batman/superman or Glorfindel/Fingolfin , I prefer to not abuse it and to have one, at most 2 of them. +3 is for elite units,like an elder vampire or other powerful ghost/undead, Farfhard and the grey Mouser, Action movie heroes, great knights from the round table etc +4 trained warriors, fast skeletons and all that,since samurai and normal knights to phalangitai or tercios.+5 is untrained peasants or militias, or zombies.
>>
>>47834984
Interesting. How do you think all this would scale if it were moved to a D10 for dat granularity?
>>
>>47835486
More random, plus specialized dices are harder to get. Tough I wouldn't mind personally. Why, do you want to work in some sobh spin off?
>>
>>47835753
D10s are easy to get on eBay.
I never likes the lack of granularity in SoBH. The gap between a mindless zombie shuffling towards the nearest target and your uber demi-god leader character is only 3 degrees. I thought it could be improved by adding more degrees of separation, allowing for a wider range of elite/semi-elite and specialised troops.
I don't think it'd be random, it'd funnel shitty chaff extras away from your top guys and make your elites feel like elites again.
I've been meaning to give it a try but I've been on a real Frostgrave kick lately (you want to talk about a game that's random...)
>>
>>47835792
That's why I don't like frost, d20 is too random (plus I can't mish mash like in sobh) but the setting and the athmosphere is pretty cool, with top tier minis. More granularity it's cool tough, I could get behind zombies/peasants being 7-8 to activate, human militias to be +6, etc.
>>
>>47835844
>zombies/peasants being 7-8 to activate, human militias to be +6, etc.
That was my reasoning, the ability to differentiate a little more.

Got an Arabian themed warband, mostly Reaper metals with some Black Tree naphtha throwers and horse archers, that I've based and never painted

>>47835844
>That's why I don't like frost, d20 is too random
You thought about playing with 3D6 or 2D10?
>>
>>47835892
>2D10
Found this for you:

A friend of mine is running a game that I occasionally make a "guest appearance" in (not that I'm in any way special enough to make guest appearances) that uses 2d10 in place of all 1d20 rolls. I hate it. I understand the reasoning behind it in that it reduces the impact of random variance, but I ultimately prefer a straight d20 roll. I've played other systems that use multidice rolling mechanics that work well, but I feel like a game is best using the dice system it was originally intended to use.

It makes rolling feel like more of a foregone conclusion to me, at least in 3.5. When most of the rolls land in the 9-12 range, there aren't as many surprises as to the results of rolls. Sometimes it feels like you might as well be taking 10 on everything. Some arguments in favor are that it makes 2s and 20s more exciting because they only happen 1% of the time. Maybe that's true, but I couldn't tell you. I think my wizard played in about five sessions and we never saw a 2 or a 20. They may be more exciting, but not if I forget they can happen before the next time I see one.
>>
>>47835925
I would prefer 3d6, luck shouldn't be that much of a factor. But I like GURPS too.
>>
File: 3d6_plot.png (13 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
3d6_plot.png
13 KB, 640x400
>>47836560
Agree. I think it's better that a critical success/fail is a remarkable occurrence rather than happening 5% of the time.
>>
>>47834212
They really aren't bad if you prime them with a good spray paint. Then it's like painting any other mini. But if you do bend them too much like that fiddly sword the paint can start to chip, but I was surprised at how much punishment they can take.

The point of bones is they are cheap and not metal. 2 things that are very important to me.
>>
>>47836619
I would add special effecte when for example three 3 show up, but that would muddle the game even more, I'm sure.
>>
>>47834849
300 points

Up to 100 points in a single personality

Up to 100 points of models with a shooter trait

Only 1 model with a Q2+

About half split between with Q3+ and Q4+. Some Q5+ really doesn't hurt

That should make a fairly balanced warband that will have a fair amount of initiative passing, which ultimately makes the game more interesting
>>
>>47836638
guy over in the historical wargame general was just saying a spray called plastidip is amazing for getting paint to stick and stay stuck to soft plastic 1/72 figures - it might be worth trying on bones.
>>
so is the Advanced SoBH rulebook just the "basic" rules with stuff from the expansions thrown in? or does it play differently?
>>
>>47837290
check out the mediafire here >>47798299
There is a PDF called 'Basic song of blades vs advanced a primer'

That explains all the differences.
>>
Polite bump
>>
File: war_bears_set_02.jpg (179 KB, 900x535) Image search: [Google]
war_bears_set_02.jpg
179 KB, 900x535
>>47839867
Bro, if you will bump do it with pics of minis or warbands, or questions. Like why isn't 15mm skirmish minis more common.
>>
File: 1415638375681.jpg (143 KB, 452x981) Image search: [Google]
1415638375681.jpg
143 KB, 452x981
>>47840039
Or why is he so perfect. Dat body.
>>
>>47840039
Because 15mm is pretty boring and really only good for mass battles.

25-28mm is king and ideal for characterful skirmish games. Try modeling fine details and trophies on 15mm models.

Aren't those bear riders 28mm though?
>>
File: Cute_HKnights.jpg (55 KB, 816x422) Image search: [Google]
Cute_HKnights.jpg
55 KB, 816x422
>>47840402
Yup, from scibor. Cool guys.15mm are also cheaper, but yeah for details 25-28mm30-3 are pretty good. Or 54mm, but not many of that size.
>>
>>47840487
28mm is king because it just grew that way. People like variety and range, and 28mm has the widest fantasy range among many companies and supported by the biggest among the different scales.

That size of range in scale only helps to continuously cement its status as the leader.

SoBaH gives simple rules for converting to 15mm scale though, which is nice.
>>
>>47840548
Pretty old thing,the 28mm one. But I don't know that much about the history of minis to talk about it, I'm only sure it started with napoleonics.
>>
I ordered fire and forge from songofblades.com, and they took my money and gave me an order confirmation email. No dowload link or anything anywhere.

I sent them an email asking what gives.
>>
File: Cutie Gorgon img7241.jpg (32 KB, 330x437) Image search: [Google]
Cutie Gorgon img7241.jpg
32 KB, 330x437
>>47842022
Good luck bro, I'm sure it will be nothing, I don't see them risking they lively hood doing weird shit.
>>
>>47842213
As soon as I get it I'll add it to the mediafire. Then if the thread is dead I will remake it with the mediafire in the OP
>>
>>47840039
Because everyone already got into 28mm an doesn't want to reinvest.
>>
>>47843348

Pretty much. A standard was set and now it's hard to break. Though a lot of skirmish games are going 32mm to show off more detailed models. 15mm might be coming back as a battalion game, as the Halo ground game is showing off. The standard Warhammer/40k army size doesn't work all that well when it comes to 28mm, as it clutters and clogs up the table and ranges aren't represented realistically, but for skirmish games 28-32mm is an excellent scale.
>>
>>47844272
I wish the range of 15mm stuff was around when I first got into large scale gaming, I would have left 28-32mm for skirmish. Now it's too late, I got all these 28mm armies that take up huge amounts of room and need large amounts of terrain.

Going to get some 15mm modern soldiers and Afganis for Seal team Six like contacts in the middle east.
>>
>>47844739
>>47844272
>>47843348
Another big factor is terrain. Everyone has 28mm terrain, and it's more widely available. Sometimes you can get away with scale differences between models and terrain, but for the most part most people like to keep them in the same categories.
>>
10mm is the standard for battalion fantasy. 15mm fantasy is pretty small all things considered.
>>
File: 03626_p_1_mj.jpg (80 KB, 476x500) Image search: [Google]
03626_p_1_mj.jpg
80 KB, 476x500
>>47833508
indian? naw nigga dat be a pirate
>>
>>47848320
Yup, I think is the best size for fantasy wargames, like KoW. The days of great armies in 28 mm are better over, if only for the price of an entire army.
>>
>>47848744
Oh, I dunno the bandana is pretty common in both.
>>
>>47842714

There's a bloke who does PDF "scrubbing" on 7chan if it needs it.
>>
File: IMG_4610.jpg (218 KB, 800x573) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4610.jpg
218 KB, 800x573
>>47840647
Nah m8, 28mm was popularized by GW
>>
Integral bases should be banned. Complete bitch to remove.
>>
File: 1459988032178.jpg (514 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459988032178.jpg
514 KB, 1600x1200
Any good battle reports up for this? Would like to see a game in action.

Pic related is the sort of table I'd love to build to play this on.
>>
How do I go about making my own profiles? Is there a way of costing stuff?
>>
>>47860431
It's all in the song of blades and heroes rulebook. I'm making a basics guide on it now
>>
>>47860456
The one I've got mentions an Excel spreadsheet on a Yahoo group?

Possibly because I'm using the PDF from in here rather than the Advanced rules?
>>
>>47860505
No the advanced rules are not necesary.

The latest rulebook has an equation in it for points calculating, and a points value for each special rule.

They have a points calculator here for it:
http://www.ganeshagames.net/army_builders/SBHbuilderRevised-v1217.html

But the equation behind everything is
((C*5+special abilities)*(7-Q))/2
Where C is the combat score, Q is the quality score, and all special abilities are added together.
>>
>>47860431
There is an online builder but you'll still need the different rulebooks to know what their effects are
>>
File: ilikeit.jpg (168 KB, 528x685) Image search: [Google]
ilikeit.jpg
168 KB, 528x685
I've added Fire and Forge to the mediafire here >>47798299. It's both the full color book as well as the inksaving version.

After some reading through it, I woudn't say that I am disappointed with it as much as I am unimpressed. The special rules are convoluted. I guess this is the thing with Advanced sobah, but I'm not sure I like it. Asobah seems to convolute things more than they need to be, where sobah's strength is in its simplicity and elegance.

The artwork is just goofy too, except this piece. I don't know why but I like it.
>>
>>47860884
Nice bro, I will read it now.
>>
>>47860884
Absolutely agree on the convoluted part.
We've found that most of the new traits in Fightin Fungi were either useless or too circumstantial to be worth ever having.

There's a lot of neat traits, still, but the good ones that see use again and again are always those with a simple, character-defining, effect. Eg. Dashing or Quick.

I like the rules for crossbows though.
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.