[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would a sidescroller rather than top-down RPG be like? Would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
What would a sidescroller rather than top-down RPG be like? Would it even work?
>>
File: Rescrolling.png (86 KB, 848x174) Image search: [Google]
Rescrolling.png
86 KB, 848x174
>>47795618
Depends on the genre and mechanics involved.
>>
File: kq7_3max.jpg (63 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
kq7_3max.jpg
63 KB, 533x400
>>47796637
Like King's Quest with fewer loading screens.

>Fuck, it's a Rosella scene.
>>
That's actually a pretty interesting idea.

It would be a bit more abstract, but the most important bits of information (distance, marching order, whether or not you're surrounded, etc.) would be preserved, though you'd lose an entire dimension of tactical movement.

However, it would be easier to track height/depth, which may be more important in submarine/plane/flying game, though my guess is that players would prefer top down and some other form of notation for height.

Ultimately, it might be best to go the Paper Mario route, where the world is whimsical and the flatness is just a quirk of the world.
>>
>>47795618
Darkest Dungeon.
Dragon Crown.
Chronicles of Mystara.
Most point and click adventures.

Just sayin, it is kinda thing.
>>
File: images.jpg (18 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18 KB, 256x192
>>
File: AGON header.jpg (18 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
AGON header.jpg
18 KB, 600x350
>>47795618

I believe Agon does this. It uses something called the "Range Strip" to handle combat, which is essentially a strip of paper with lines across it marking how far from the bad guys you are. Each turn in combat you can move something on the Range Strip. Move yourself closer to a bad guy, move the bad guy back so you can shoot him with your bow, move your friend with a bow closer to the bad guy so he has to pull out his sword, or move him farther away so you can kill-steal him (it's a competitive game).

No grid, no three-dimensional movement, you just move closer to or farther from other people on the two-dimensional strip.

I'm not terribly familiar with it, but I think that's the gist of it. It seems interesting, at the least.
>>
>>47795618
Super Paper Mario
>>
>>47795618
>What would a sidescroller rather than top-down RPG be like? Would it even work?
Pretty much the same, at least at a basic level. Most RPGs with movement mechanics already have rules for three-dimensional stuff like jumping and area-of-effect attacks, so the ruleset wouldn't need much modification.
>>
>>47798293
This.
OP a dumb shit.
>>
>>47796637
Based on retro platformer
>>47796886
That's what I was thinking. It'd be neat if Triple Deluxe / Little Big Planet style 'planes' were possible but that's also more complex

>>47798293
I mean tabletop rpg. That is def inspiration though
>>
>>47795618
I think it would need a lot of work from the DM with little benefit and less immersio because it will really feel like a videogame.
Might work for a beat em up style hack and shlash campaign. Or of you really want to do a video game campaign, might work as a one shot then.
>>
I used Fight! to make a Tales of game.

It worked
>>
>>47799412
What if the goal is to make it feel like a video game?

It might be the best way to capture a special feel for a Mario game.
>>
>>47801412
Yep, that's what I was imagining. A tabletop RPG that feels like Mario / Kirby / Klonoa, etc.
>>
>>47799260
>I mean tabletop rpg.

>"I walk toward the background."
>"You can't, you can only go left, right, up, or down!"
>"Why?"
>"Because!"

Sounds like fun
>>
>>47795618
Didn't /tg/ make a sidescrolling Kirby RPG a while ago?
>>
>>47803015
We were considering making it a side-scroller, but it never got too far.

>>47802487
I think if the players have agreed to play a sidescrolling tabletop RPG, they'd understand to play by the genre's conventions. And besides, it's actually -easier- in tabletop to let them do that. "Okay, sure, you can go into the background and knock over that tree."
>>
File: bossmonster.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
bossmonster.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>47795618
You'd probably have more success with a board game rather than a tabletop RPG. The entire point of a board game is to simulate a structured situation with hard rules, whereas tabletop role-playing games are more dependent on a referee.
>>
>>47805371
Well, the hope is to be able to roleplay an adventure in a sidescroller. So a board game doesn't do that as well.
>>
The reason this isn't done in tabletop is because the z dimension is rarely useful for human movement and the aesthetic of nice backgrounds doesn't come into play because it's all in your head.

It seems like a gimmick for gimmicks sake just to see "if this will work" not an actually wise thing to do.
>>
>>47805467
Yeah, this is probably true.
>>
File: DandD.png (28 KB, 768x448) Image search: [Google]
DandD.png
28 KB, 768x448
>>47795618
Something like this, I imagine.
>>
Tried doing this on /tg/ some years ago after I played cave story all the way through for the first time. Tried to use maptool to create tile-based levels. You'd have movement and jump values that emulate platformer physics and players can 'spend' them on their turn, moving left or right, jumping, possibly altering direction mid-jump if they have that ability. Outside of combat you explore the map normally.
>>
>>47795618
Done already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XUEX7jVdk
>>
>>47807153
That game is fucking amazing.
>>
>>47795618
I vaguely remember a game system called "super console", which was an RPG about playing heroes in an 8-bit game system.

The name, sadly, makes the damn thing fucking hard to google, and since the only copy of this paperback traveller-leaflet-style RPG i ever saw was well before the internet was a thing, i fear it may be lost to the ages.

The character sheet included a NES-like controller, and you were supposed to attach actions to your buttons (like choosing whether you jumped by pushing Up, A, or B.)

I don;t really remember much else about it.
>>
>>47809346
This the one?
>https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13900.phtml
>>
>>47809346
>>47810043
Also, pdf of it.
http://console.wdfiles.com/local--files/super-console/Super_Console.pdf
>>
>>47810043
>>47810101
Cool, thanks.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.