[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you revitalize the Mary sue theme in general? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: awqe.jpg (163 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
awqe.jpg
163 KB, 720x960
How would you revitalize the Mary sue theme in general?

Is it even possible to create something memorable/original about them nowadays? Or has the popular media killed it?
>>
>>47788377
If you "revitalize" a mary sue don't they just stop being a mary sue? It's like asking "How can we make this shitty thing better?" While yes, you can improve it, it then stops being that shitty thing.
>>
>>47788377
Well, there's nothing "revitalizing" can accomplish for a literal self-insert character. Snowflakes, maybe. It all really comes down to execution and the setting itself, whether it's done in an interesting way that fits the story.
>>
How would you revitalize the shitposting theme in general?

Is it even possible to create something memorable/original about them nowadays? Or has the popular media killed it?
>>
>>47789453
>How would you revitalize the shitposting theme in general?
I'd take a break from 4chan until late September.
>>
>>47788377
No, a mary sue is a bad character archetype. It's like saying "Guys how do we revitalize the use of Deus ex Machinas?" They're a bad trope for lazy authors. If it's a good mary sue, it's not a mary sue, it's just a good character.
>>
File: 1461710959035.jpg (64 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1461710959035.jpg
64 KB, 900x900
>>47788377
>How would you revitalize the Mary sue theme in general?
I don't think you know what a Mary Sue is.
In fact, I KNOW you don't know what a Mary Sue is.
>>
>>47788377
make them die early.
>>
>>47791074
No one can agree on what constitutes a mary sue because it's entirely dependent on the authors intent
>>
>>47788377
Make them a vampire?
>>
>>47788377
>Original
>Author's self insert
They are called Mary Sues because they are an awful character trope that tries so hard to be different that they all end up the same.
"Revitalizing" them would mean to just rewrite them as actual fucking characters with depth.

You'd be better off scrapping them entirely.
>>
File: 1455995544013.jpg (134 KB, 650x994) Image search: [Google]
1455995544013.jpg
134 KB, 650x994
>>47792006
>Words don't have definitions
You're new here right? Cause the only people who "can't agree on a definition" are either people who write Mary Sues, or contrarians who like to throw that term at any character they don't like. Here I'll help you make all the pain go away http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mary+sue+definition
>>
>>47789453
Make shitposting great again
>>
>>47788377
Easy enough.

Hack the Don't Close Your Eyes Don't Rest Your Head game system.

Now it's about Mary Sues. A world of Mary Sues who slip further and further into their snowflake. Instead of madness dice, you have Snowflake dice. Always there, always tempting. But each time you use it to bend the world to your way, something changes.

Maybe one eye becomes a different character.
Maybe your father is suddenly the BBEG and your mother is a half-angel.

The more you slip into Snowflake, the more Mary Sue you become, but the more power you take. Inevitably you give in, and what started as a humble baker is a rainbow hued half japanese girl with a salad body who loves tofu steak, whose father is the BBEG and her mother half-angel (thus half-angel werewolf with functional wings), who has the ability to steal powers with a kiss and is a friend to children everywhere.

You've become The Mary Sue.
>>
>>47788377
What is the Name of the Wind series.
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>47788377
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.