[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, so I was advised by a friend to visit this board for entrance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 149x119) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 149x119
Okay, so I was advised by a friend to visit this board for entrance advice to W40K. My experience with Warhammer was buying and painting a small army in the fantasy universe, and occasionally studying codices of both 40K and Fantasy. I stopped collecting these miniatures because I was told by a few "popular" kids that it was autistic. But I've realised that there's nothing greater than being comfortable with who you are.

I am honestly interested mostly in the W40K universe as a way of being able to study a fantastical universe other than our own. So what books, codices, or other texts should I start collecting first?

Pic related, because I'm chicken-hearted.
>>
I got nothing, but I'm gonna bump you. Godspeed anon
>>
>>47785840
Pick a faction and just spin off from their really
>>
>>47785994
Thanks friend.
>>
>>47786004
That's great advice, and will probably be the advice that I take if I don't get a better idea.
>>
>>47785840
>So what books, codices, or other texts should I start collecting first?
Anything by Cs Goto is golden.
>>
>>47786027
Sorry, what did that mean? Can anybody explain?
>>
>>47786027
>>47786043
Never mind, found this link: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/C.S._Goto
>>
>>47785840
Pick an army that looks cool
Build and paint it
Play

It's not rocket science
>>
>>47786043
Go to the /40kg/ thread. They can help you. Choose a faction/army you like the look of, read up on their fluff, and if it calls to you, choose them.
>>
>>47786126
I'm sure even you would admit that a game of this proportions can be daunting to begin.

I remember owning the Warhammer fantasy rulebook, and that bastard was the second biggest book that I have ever owned.
>>
>>47785840

There is usually a warhammer 40k general thread somewhere. In it is a link to many codices and the rulebook etc.
Other good intro are the fanmade wikis
lexicanum.com
warhammer40k.wikia.com

Other than that, keep in mind that 40k is notorious for having canon conflicts, the whole backstory for necrons, for example got rewritten with great changes.
>>
Some questions!
1. Big army or Small army?
2. Shooty, choppy some layer in between?
3. Tough defenses or one-hit wonders?
4. Your favorite 1980's action / horror movie?
5. Humans or Xenos?
6. How much of an edge lord do you tolerate in your fluff?
7. Have you ever considered making a pact with an elder being from outside of space as we understand it for purposes of power?
8. How much Mary Sue can you tolerate in your fluff?
9. Would you rather your faction had an evil sounding name but fought for the survival of humanity, or a good-guy name but wanted to destroy humanity?
10. How's yer mum?
11. What is stronger, steel or the flesh that holds it?
12.How do you feel about psychic shenanigans?

Answer all questions, and we can help more.
>>
>>47785840
Read the first 4 books in Black Library's Horus Heresy series. This is 'required reading' and is the backbone of the setting.

As you work your way through these, start taking a look at each army. You'll be spending a significant amount of time painting and modeling - so choose wisely.

Visit the 40k general thread thats usually up here. You'll have to sift through a lot of shitposting, but you'll be exposing yourself to relevant infos. At first you'll be lost, but one day it'll start making sense.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.