[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone here familiar with the Amethyst setting? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: amethyst quint.jpg (1 MB, 900x1151) Image search: [Google]
amethyst quint.jpg
1 MB, 900x1151
Is anyone here familiar with the Amethyst setting? I'm particularly interested in reading it, and if I like it I fully want to buy it (I love collecting good RPG books)... but the book is $70. I can't quite justify spending that on it yet.

First, a link, because my below description isn't actually all that great: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/176948/Amethyst-Quintessence-5E

So. Amethyst, for those of you who aren't aware of it: In our world, way back in the past, elves and stuff lived. They were essentially spawned from the magic of chaos, which was fighting order at the time. At some point, chaos died/was banished and order was trapped underground or something. Eventually, history happened: humans evolved, civilization happened, and finally the modern day was reached.

Of course, the forces of chaos and order returned. With them came the return of magic, magical beings, dragons, elves, whatever. Most of human civilization was destroyed, but some pockets around the world remain, mostly in city-state form.

There are a bunch of classes/archetypes/backgrounds/spells/whatever to fit into this mix of technology and magic. As I understand it, there are things like technical wizards and rogue programmers. Stuff like that. I'm not actually sure what, though, because I only read the preview.

Anyone else aware of this? I've done a horrid job of describing the setting, but I'm very interested in it.
>>
>>47781901
So it's Shadowrun without the Cyberpunk aspect I'm taking it?
>>
>>47781962
Hm. Sort of. I'm disappointed to say I'd never actually thought of it like that.

Amethyst seems to me like it's more of a typical fantasy setting thrown on top of our modern world (because by 'modern day' in the setting, our world is basically completely replaced by fantasy stuff). Shadowrun claims to be that, but really it isn't.
>>
>>47781901
Some other relevant info, for those interested:

Amethyst was originally a 3.5 (or 3, not sure) setting. It was recreated for Pathfinder, and again for Savage Worlds and D&D 4e. Overall the various versions got pretty solid reviews, though I haven't seen any info on the 5e version aside from what's on the DTRPG page.
>>
>>47782004
Adding to this anon's info, it's recently been recreated for 13th Age. From what I've seen the lore is the same as in the Pathfinder edition, they've just altered the mechanics to fall in line with 13th Age.
>>
>>47784900
I forgot about the 13th Age edition. How familiar with the setting are you? What'd you think of it?
>>
>>47781901
I remember this setting getting tonnes of hype and then completely disappearing. I've never seen anyone playing it or discussing it, online or IRL. It kind of sounds like Rifts done right.

Nice cover, at least.
>>
>>47781901
Yeah, see? The interest level for this is about on par with HARN.
>>
>>47787956
I wasn't aware of Harn. Interesting.
>>
Sounds like what I wish Shadowrun had been like. I'll definitely pick up the PDF next chance I have $20 to throw.
>>
>>47781901

I bought the 4e edition. It's all right. The original classes were shit because they were designed before the 4e classes really got released, so the defender can't mark and the striker needs to spend his minor action for a +d6. Their take on essentials was ironically better than D&D essentials classes.

The overall setting is decent. I was a bit wondering wtf was up with how much detail they go into what halfbreeds get created from what couplings. I don't know if that's a holdover from the 3.5 editions or what.
>>
>>47782004
>>47784900

Jesus. I guess I can't fault their work ethic, but I can't help but feel a 'guess please like my setting' with how many systems they've ported it to.
>>
>>47793301
Yeah... and an odd thing about it is that this is the only thing this company has made. Amethyst, but 5 times. That's it.
>>
>>47794606
It's not that unusual. Especially if you aren't focused on generating profit, making a company just to hold onto rights and focus on a single product, in the RPG market, makes sense.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.