[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gurpsgen/ GURPS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 1365063556257.gif (208 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1365063556257.gif
208 KB, 800x600
GURPS General /gurpsgen/

So, what's the 4e alternative to vehicles?
>>
Have you tried playing D&D?
>>
>>47780635
Since there is no Vehicles supplement for GURPS 4e yet, you can just build vehicles with the basic character creation rules in the meantime.
>>
Nice meme reversal.

I have tried D&D. I've played 2e, 3.0, 3.5, PF, 4e, and 5e.

I have gripes with all of them. But some of them are still in my top 10 rpg systems.

Of the bunch, my preference is 3.pf.

However right now I'm sick of D&D and would rather play /discuss other games.
>>
>>47780676
Wait. Build them as characters?

How does that work?

Isn't there a space ships book that relies on vehicle rules from somewhere else?

How compatible is vehicles 3e with 4e?
>>
File: GURPS OP.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47780635
This is not gurpsgen I looked for.
>>
>>47781478
Sorry dude. Never made a gurps gen before. Fairly new to gurps, there's usually a gurps thread already, and i Didn't have that PDF.

Can I get a followup on >>47780730?
>>
Is there a good spot to look for gurps homebrew, conversions, alternate magic systems, and pre built templates?
>>
It's first edition, but does anyone know if GURPS Ogre is anywhere in the mega?
>>
>>47782020
Pretty sure the mega is nearly all gurps 4e
>>
>>47780730
You make a character with IQ 0, Compartmentalized Mind (Controls), enough Payload to hold the crew, and whatever else makes sense. For example, an ordinary car would have Machine, Restricted Diet (Gasoline), No Legs (Wheeled), No Manipulators, Enhanced Move (Ground), Injury Tolerance (Unliving), Accessory (FM Radio) and some other stuff too.
>>
>>47782167
Interesting.

How do you determine the price to buy such a "cohort" as equipment?
>>
>>47782340
Either the GM sets a price or you'd take them as an Ally.
>>
>>47782392
>take the truck/car/motorcycle/whatever as an ally.
This just feels dirty to me . Especially when I know it'll get blown up.

Reiterating my other question , how usable is 3e vehicles with 4e gurps?
>>
>>47780635
>>47782788
B462.
As for 3e vehicles, as long as they don't have weapons meant to attack people, it's fine.
>>
>>47780730

4e Spaceships is self-contained, but between the eight books in the main series and a few Pyramid articles, you can make spacecraft, sky galleys, psionic mindjammers, TL7 battleships, TL3 sailing ships, cars, submarines and any combination. It's not as fully-featured as 3e Vehicles* but it works pretty damn well.

* - I have a hankering for supercavitation-hulled submarines with fusion water ram motors, and aircraft with grav air rams, but I'm autist enough to go to 3e Vehicles when I want that, then convert over.
>>
File: 1458769046255.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1458769046255.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47780635
GURPS cars, fan made.
>>
File: Cars for GURPS 3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cars for GURPS 3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47780635
>>
Other than Injury Tolerance: Homogeneous, what other traits should a license-plate origami construct (literally a license plate or license plates joined together that come to life as a being that resembles animated origami) have?

The only other trait that comes to mind is a Cutting Striker to represent sharpened edges.
>>
>>47785599
1 or 2 points of DR probably. Skinny to represent their lack of serious mass.
>>
>>47783734
The only real failing of Spaceships right now is that it mins out at SM+4, meaning you can't make any custom vehicle smaller than a party bus or build a mech small enough for urban use.
>>
>>47783734
good lord, the one thing I wish for in the near future is a Vehicles 4e built from the compilation of those rules.
with errata for missile damage
>>
>>47785599
youve got the core bits already; thin, light metal with sharp edges. Not mechanically animated, so damage dealt is to the whole mass of metal.

Depends on the form, really. Humanoid in shape? based on an animal the sculptor made it look like? Lion hommunculi?

put sharp teeth on animal shapes, give motor skills/lack of hands to humanoids.
>>
>>47785902

It looks like a really rough metal-origami sculpture of a humanoid form.

Would Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction (Crushing) make sense? Battering a plate of metal to uselessness ought to be tough.
>>
>>47785902

Oh yes, it has No Fine Manipulators for certain.
>>
>>47785599
Doesn't Eat Or Drink, Doesn't Breathe, many levels of Temperature Tolerance, Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, possibly Didn't Sleep,

What kind of senses does it have? Vibration Sense and Blindness would be plausible, as would Deafness or Hard Of Hearing.

How is it animated? A Dependency on its power source or Vulnerability to something that disrupts it would make sense.
>>
>>47783681
Good to know.

If they do have weapons, I imagine it would be easy enough to swap them for 4e weapons.

>>47783734
>Lots of stuff spread out everywhere.
Is there a complete list of like "vehicles index" somewhere, so I know where to look?
>>
>>47786919

Oh yeah, the standard construct/machine package. Of course!

If it can see, but does not have eyes, I think that "No Eyes" is the simplest way to go about representing this. Does IT: Homogeneous include No Eyes by default?

What do you think of IT: DR versus Crushing on top of Homogeneous? This thing may be small, but it's a bitch and a half to finally put down.
>>
Do you guys use gca, or one of the other options?
>>
>>47787282
Unkillable is only 50 points and it might work for an unstobable construct that needs to be bodily destroyed to be taken out. If the origami soldier is crushed to a lump and it still crawling after a target Terminator-style, give Unkillalbe 1 a look.
>>
>>47787190

No official one but I made a primitive list for my own purposes:

Spaceships 1

Spaceships 4

Spaceships 7

Pyramid 34 - Alternate GURPS
combustion power plant, flexibody drivetrain, screw propellor, submarine ballast tanks, tracked drivetrain,
wheeled drivetrain, NBC filters only, no life support

Pyramid 40 - Vehicles
SM+3 systems

Pyramid 64 - Pirates and Swashbucklers
oars, sails, steam engine, amalgamation engine, elemental furnace, aerial sails
>>
File: 1014ef.jpg (46 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1014ef.jpg
46 KB, 500x625
>>47788250
GCS recently just due to ease of setup
I prefer GURPS Character Assistant 4; its much easier to modify advantages, and theres written in link to every modifier ever. Its a bit bigger and a heavier load though. Which isnt so much an issue anymore, with the exponential increase in computing. But the software is still a bit clunky.

Also, GCA4 has built in "new custom" advantages, disadvantages, equipment and such. Just easier to add in werid shit.
But GCS has built in generators for the low tech custom armor suits. Frigging sweet.
>>
File: 1437262270518.jpg (339 KB, 1178x759) Image search: [Google]
1437262270518.jpg
339 KB, 1178x759
>>47788890
youre a saint!
Thanks!
>>
The thing to remember about GURPS Vehicles 3 is that it wasn't a point-buy system at all. All of the parts and subassemblies are in terms of cost and weight. I think this is why it's taken SO DAMN LONG to get a vehicles system out. It's a simple matter of making a step-by-step process to design any 'real world' 'vehicle' for all values of 'real world' and 'vehicle'.

Best bet is to model it in your world, convert those values to in-game values (like siz) and tweak it around to feel right.
>>
>>47789684
Yeah, Ive personally never had issues eyeballing values for the stat block or $ values for the PC's to buy things. It would just be super convenient wouldnt it?
>>
What is the most "gurps-like", system that uses 1d100 or at least linear dice.
I am having a hard time to convert my ideas to 3d6
>>
File: 1445664503113.jpg (433 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1445664503113.jpg
433 KB, 1600x900
>>47789739
the fuck are you having trouble making in GURPS?
>>
>>47789739
That would be brp.

It's less unified than gurps , in that instead of a single system, it's a bunch of very similar systems with common origin and an easy ability to convert or mix and match between them.

Its used in brp, call of cthulhu, rune quest, open quest, legend, Renaissance, revolution d100, elf quest, and storm bringer /hawk moon /fire and sword.

Tons of historical/mythical settings, modern settings, pulp settings, a bit of scifi, and a couple fiction settings such as the moorcock settings and ringworld.

It doesn't do super heroes very well though iirc.

For some reason /tg/ doesn't seem to like it. Any time someone makes a brp thread it seems to die in less than 12 hours.
>>
>>47789800
>the fuck are you having trouble making in GURPS?
I have some ideas in that are related to %
and cant convert them to 3d6
>>
File: 1441327678437.jpg (20 KB, 296x418) Image search: [Google]
1441327678437.jpg
20 KB, 296x418
>>47789995
what ideas?
>>
Not strictly gurps related, but I'm hoping you all could help me out. I'm planning on doing music based versions of Symbol/syntactic and RPM. I'm not really sure what to use as aspects/components, though.
>>
>>47790097
>I'm planning on doing music based versions of Symbol/syntactic and RPM
So.....music mages? Or youre looking for music to set to the various runes? wtf are you asking for?
>>
>>47789995
Like for a table? No one's going to arrest you for busting out 2d10 to roll for critical spell misshaps or whatever. Alternitavely, some GURPS tables use 1d,1d,1d rather than 3d6; instead of summing the dice, you read them seperately, so a roll of 3, 4, and 2 would have you look up entry 3-4-2 rather than 9. You could also group them up, like a roll of 1-2 on the first die are the same thing (same with 3-4 and 5-6); that would leave you with 108 potential results, all with the same chance of occuring.

>>47790097
Symbol and Syntactics are pretty similar, but RPM is pretty dang different from either beyond the Path = Noun connection. Are you going to have a musical Symbol/Syntactic system and a musical RPM system, or are you trying to combine those two together and then slap music on top of the result? If you want to do the former, we can help, and if you wnat to do the latter, we can also help but you should probably read the "Alternative Ritual Path Magic" article from Pyramid #3/66 The Laws of Magic first, as it includes a variant of RPM than combines it with the Symbol magic system.

Either way, details pl0x.
>>
>>47790313
Wait, so you'd have nested results tables? Like roll one dice to pick from 6 different sub-tables, that each break into 6 different sub tables?

That would generate a lot of potential results, but I can't see why you'd need to pick from 216 possible results in one roll.
>>
>>47790649
>I can't see why you'd need to pick from 216 possible results in one roll.
WIIIIILD MAGIC

Shiiiit, my favorite anecdote is still "the wall of elephant"
>>
>>47790649
Essentially yes, but it's rairly that extreme (pic related is a more frequent and reasonably-sized example). I think the only one that goes full table-within-a-table-within-a-table is Dungeon Fantasy: Treasures, which is supposed to seeing as how it's meant to generatre loot ranging from enchanted swords to jewels to ox hides.

And the only reason I could see someone NEEDING d% for an idea what can't "convert" to 3d6 or d20 or another die system is that it has a ton of granularity/potential results.
>>
>>47790134
>>47790313

Should have been more specific. I'm planning on doing music themed versions of both Symbol/Syntactic and RPM. I'm just not entirely sure what to use as nouns/verbs and paths. The symbol/syntactic would probably be the easiest, as you could combine tone/tempo with a particular style or instrument. Not really sure what to use, though. The RPM I'm having a little bit more trouble with.
>>
>>47780654
Get out faggot
>>
>>47781807
If you do some Google searches, you can find a site that has stats for different types of animals.
>>
>>47790874
Path could equal musical style; just like jazz music sounds like jazz music whether the lead is a saxophone, trumpet, or what have you, a Path of Energy ritual will always be one with energy-related effects regardless of the specific trappings or goals.

Symbol is easy enough, with the Symbol Drawing skill being replaced by the Musical Composition skill while creating and the creator's choice of Singing or specialization of Musical Instrument while "casting." Fluff-wise, Verbs would probably be tempo and Nouns would be a very broad musical style.

Symbol music would probably be very well defined and structured and RPM music would likely be very improvisational.
>>
Does anyone have DF Monsters 3? Not yet on the Archive.
>>
What book is the reduced duration modifier in? It was in tangle foot in Sorcery, but I couldn't find it in Basic Set or Powers.
>>
>>47791350
Powers? Maybe Supers?
GCA4 will give you a page reference if you plug in the modifier on something
>>
>>47791139
Seconding this. I've heard its good
>>
>>47791520
I don't want to buy gca though. :)
>>
>>47791350
I want to say Psionic Powers? It was probably introduced elsewhere, but I think I remember personally seeing it first there.
>>
>>47791888
>>47791520
Used GURPS wikidot and it says power ups: limitations.
>>
>>47782051
Can you link the mega?
Unless it is this one https://mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdM
which is all encrypted.
>>
File: dio.jpg (397 KB, 1280x925) Image search: [Google]
dio.jpg
397 KB, 1280x925
Are there any spells that can create throwable objects, like knives or bombs, or objects that persist?
Create Object doesn't work, since the objects disappear when they aren't touching something.
>>
>>47793082
I was talking about the one linked in the PDF, but 4+3 Chan has a mega of their own you could also check. I'm on my phone, and don't have a link, though.
>>
File: Low-Tech p95.png (91 KB, 389x373) Image search: [Google]
Low-Tech p95.png
91 KB, 389x373
What about a matchlock makes it take longer to reload than a wheellock or flintlock? Is it having to remove the wick when you start reloading and then placing it back when you're done?
>>
>>47794140
Probably something along those lines, yes.
>>
>>47780730
>Isn't there a space ships book that relies on vehicle rules from somewhere else?

Pyramid 3/34: Alternate GURPS has an article that adds wheeled, tracked, screw, and other propulsion systems. So then you have a "space ship" that can't fly but can drive or sail. Tweak some rules and extrapolate to smaller SMs and you have something resembling a vehicle design system.

It doesn't work very well if you're trying to simulate a specific vehicle. You're much better off just eyeballing it and whipping up stats based on your preferred performance numbers.

Pulver's been working on it for years-- close to ten years or more now. Every few years we're told that he's made some major progress lately. Kromm and PK both say they'd rather have it be good than be out soon, and that it will come out when it comes out. Yesterday PK wrote that when it does come out, it'll be PDF at first and if they print at all it'll be 6-12 months later so all errata can be incorporated.
>>
>>47785774

You can easily extrapolate down to SM3 and even SM2 if you want.

I'd keep passenger and control room modules at SM4 and force people to use oversized systems if they build smaller hulls.

Armor rounding is weird but follows the SS/R table's progression, so just extrapolate down. One thing I saw a guy do is have armor systems give fractional dDR that you add up by stacking armor, then round down. So if an armor system gives .7, then you need two in a location for it to give you 1 dDR, but if you have three systems worth of armor in that location, you get 2dDR.
>>
>>47787190
>weapons
The only issue with that is that Vehicles has a weapon design system in it, so finding a replacement for a custom gun could be hard.

>>47788896
Isn't GCS for 3e?
>>
>>47790874

Sounds like you should concentrate on the thematics as fluff and have it all boil down to Perform (musical instrument) and Musical Composition checks.

You could have different styles/instruments give different kinds of bonuses, perhaps reskinning the astrological modifiers in Thaumatology. Maybe charge a perk for familiarity with a general broad genre of music (classical, rock, country, gregorian, etc) that grants such a bonus.

So I want to heal someone, and instead of using material components and astrological correspondences from Thaumatology, I play a particular kind of instrument in a particular style/tempo/theme. That gives me the bonuses that let me cast powerful spells. I CAN use heavy metal accordion to heal, but no bonuses, whereas my New Age solo vocalist act might give me significant bonuses and let me do the same thing but better.

This way, you minimize the number of new systems you're creating. You're taking RPM or Syntactic, adding the bonuses already designed in Thaumatology. It's all playtested and works. Then you reskin some of the Skills and tables to fit your theme-- something that's intended to be easily done. Non-GURPS players might not even realize that you're using published official rules.
>>
>>47794070
I was able to find what I was looking for there, thanks.
Here is the link for anyone interested:
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ!MBxDGSZZ
>>
>>47794639

There are two weapons systems. You've got "beam and blaster design" in a pyramid article for man-portable systems, and the one based on joules in Spaceships. Neither is perfect, but both do the job.
>>
>>47794716
It's an old archive and it wasn't updated since forever.
>>
>>47794716
>>47795173
The Thread Start Archive is usually up to date. Right now, it's only missing DF Monsters 3.
>>
File: John Smith Nessa Fallaner.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
John Smith Nessa Fallaner.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47794639
>Isn't GCS for 3e?
Nah son, theyve updated. Look it up
>>
>>47791350
Power-Ups: Limitations.
The Fixed Duration modifier is in Psionic Powers.
>>
>>47794140
Nope, it's a mix of technologies and refinements that came later. This is partly covered in Low Tech.

Stuff that changed how long it took to reload includes different reloading drills, the use of pre-measured amounts of powder, steel ramrods rather then wood,

You can see this in Japan, where matchlock weapons were refined to a high degree and could make 3 shots per minute in favorable conditions. That isn't a match for the 4 shots a late flintlock could make, but is impressive.
>>
>>47795298

Added DFM 3 (from someone on 7C)

Someone has added a folder called 'music' to the archive. Anyone know what that is about?
>>
>>47780635
Okay, /gurpsgen/, can you help me create a swarm of giant poisonous rats as one enemy? I need to show players that not every opponent can be feinted and struck in the eye.
>>
>>47799917
You are a golden god!
>>
What is better
Health =6 and HP = 16
OR
Health =16 and HP = 6
>>
>>47800696
They're both pretty bad desu.
>>
>>47800696
Do you realize that Health is 10 points/level, while HP is 2 points/level?
>>
How good is gurps for low power campaigns? (The PCs are just normal dudes in a fantasy world)
>>
>>47800696
#1 can take 16 points of damage before reaching zero, but once they're at that point, their abysmal HT score means they're out damn near immediately.

#2 needs to take only 6 damage to reach zero, but reaching zero really doesn't mean much as they're likely to succeed their HT rolls to remain conscious for quite a while. You would probably have to take #2 down to the instant-death threshold of -5xHP to reliably take her out.

>tl;dr high HP/no HT is out after 16 points of injury while high HT/no HP has a good chance at staying active until they suffer 36 points of injury at which point the automatically die.
>>
>>47800977
Mechanically? Pretty good. But lower point values tend to be frustratingly restrictive during chargen. But I'm thinking of the 25/-50 or 50/-50 points range, really 'low power' stuff.
>>
>>47799917
gentleman and a scholar
>>
Consider:

>Victorian England: 1867-1901
>American Old West: 1803-1912
>Meiji Restoration: 1868-1912
>French privateering in the Gulf of Mexico: ended circa 1830
Conclusion: an adventuring party consisting of a Victorian gentleman thief, an Old West gunslinger, a disgraced former samurai, and an elderly French pirate is actually 100% historically plausible, in late TL5
>>
>>47800696
the first one has a 10% chance to survive everytime you check if you will die
on the second one you have 98% chance to survive but will check if you will die 2.6 times more.

So...
The first one = [100*(0.1^1)] = 10% chance to survive

The second one = (100*(0.98^2.6)) = 94 % to survive
The second one is WAY better
>>
File: 1423083510236.jpg (18 KB, 150x191) Image search: [Google]
1423083510236.jpg
18 KB, 150x191
>>47801271

I know and it's great.

I already got my tl5 setting ready
>>
File: GRr4Frx%255B1%255D[1].png (101 KB, 911x661) Image search: [Google]
GRr4Frx%255B1%255D[1].png
101 KB, 911x661
>>47800696
I didn't go to such an extreme value in this post, but I did graph this out:
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/06/math-how-to-not-die-spending-points-on.html
From the graph, my prediction is the 16 HT is better, but also both are wildly inefficient in terms of survivability.
>>
>>47801462
>that non-spectrum distribution of colors
yeeech
>>
>>47800977
It's my favorite starting power level as both a player and GM. 0/-50 or 20/-50. You just don't get the panic of a fight to the death using AoA and Telegraphic (because you can't hit otherwise) at higher point levels.

And then that one bastard picks up broken branch and becomes Mr. Scary Badass.

Good times. When I run games at this level I tend to award 2x or 3x CPs for the first several sessions.
>>
>>47800977
Very, though it depends on what you call low power.
>>
>>47801640
I am sorely tempted to run my next Shit Hits The Fan game with that point total.
Zombie plague outbreak
Alien invasion
Magical Apocalypse
Man, it just feels like it would seriously ratchet up the tension :D
>>
>>47801462
>I didn't go to such an extreme value in this post,
You had just one job

Just kidding, you made an awesome job
>>
I've been asked to run a prehistoric campaign soon. I'm really hyped for it, but I want some advice. There are, by my count, three different detailed approaches to hunting/gathering: DF - Wilderness Adventures, Low-Tech Companion 3, and After the End - The New World.

DF is a bit too gamey for what I want to do, so I'm currently torn between LTC and AtE. LTC seems more realistic, but at times it can be super vague and unhelpful, and AtE is more detailed. I could just write up a word document that combines the two, but that seems like a lot of work. What would you guys pick, realistic or detailed?

While I'm polling /tg/, what system should the shamans use, Medium + Spirit Empathy to have them commune with the spirits of the world, or use Symbol and have magic be sympathy-based? Both are cool and thematically appropriate.

>captcha is making me select sandwiches
Goddamnit it's like it knows all I've had today is a banana at 7.
>>
>>47782167
Having HERO flashbacks here.
>>
>>47782788
>how usable is 3e vehicles with 4e gurps?
>how usable is 3e vehicles
no.
>>
What delineates the difference between an Acc 2 pistol and an Acc 3 pistol of the same make?

For instance: the bog standard Colt Government 1911 has Acc 2. Which variants would have Acc 3, and why, exactly, do they have that increased accuracy?
>>
>>47803340
better tooling on the sights, or barrel, allowing for a straighter shot on average
Also, just less failures of design overall (hold one in your hand, youll see how hard it is to line up tooled sights on the barrel tip)
>>
>>47802940
>realistic or detailed
realistically detailed
Make the list specific, but realistic compared to _your campaign_

>Medium + Spirit Empathy
more RP, treat them like NPCs granting favors
>>
for those curious about vehicle rules, my copy has them listed under page 462~465 of the basic set
>>
>>47803797
this is 4e under the chapter for technology and artifacts, chapter 17 or the 8th chapter of the campaigns book
>>
>>47799917

Awesome, thanks.
>>
Guys, just added GURPS Middle Ages 1 to the 3e Archive. If you feel that any book is missing from there, please upload it - or ask for someone to.
>>
A pound of cooked meat is normally considered a meal. After drying it, the same pound of meat is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a pound; does it still count as a meal or would a character need to each a pound of jerky per meal to avoid starvation?
>>
>>47780635
i have been tempted to read gurps, what do i need to make a generic fantasy game?
>>
>>47801640

> 0/-50 or 20/-50

Wow, really? That power level is like crippled old man or young pre-teen kid.
>>
>>47804995
If you want GURPS: D&D, you want the Basic Set, Magic (basically a huge list of spells) and Dungeon Fantasy 1 and 2 (really small books, actually, but they are a kinda on-point simplification of Basic Set... though they need Basic Set to totally make sense)

If you want something more substantive, drop Dungeon Fantasy 1 and 2, and replace with Fantasy and Low-Tech, and maybe one of the popular magic systems (Divine Favor, Sorcery, or Ritual Path Magic) instead of, or in addition to Magic.
>>
>>47804635
your logic is sound, the reduced weight is still nutritious. Mind, you'll need some more water on top of things to really benefit completely from it
>>
>>47805088
>not being a geriatric with ww2 skills in the zombie apocalypse
>>
>>47806279
>not being an iraq veteran on zombie apocalypse
>>
>>47806234
Good to know, thanks!

>>47805088
I'm looking at using 20/-50 for >>47802940; the PCs will be young adults fresh from their rite of passage, capable of supporting the band but certainly not capable enough to make striking out on their own and ideal plan.

Speaking of which, anyone else have an opinion as to magic system? I've got >>47803601's vote for Spirit Talkers, but I'm curious as to others' opinions.
>>
>>47803340

Usually longer barrel variants have better Acc. This generally isn't due to the barrel stabilising the bullet more, but rather the fact that the sights can be further apart and a front-heavy gun tends to 'smooth out' any shaky hand movements.

The AMT Harballer Longslide is a 1911 variant which gets Acc 3 from it's long barrel.

The other main way to improve Acc is to build the gun out of really well-fitting ('match grade') components which work together smoothly.

The Springfield TRP and Kimber TLE II are 1911 style pistols which use that approach.

A light trigger pull is another factor in pistol accuracy. I'm not aware of any pistol which has been officially statted in GURPS which justifies it's Acc with just a light trigger, but it could be one of the things which makes a weapon 'Fine (Accurate)'.

Adding a shoulder stock is also good for +1 Acc, but I don't think that's the kind of thing you were thinking of.
>>
>>47804635

>A pound of meat is a meal

A pound of meat is more then 900 calories, and would provide around half the energy requirements for a person for the day. It would make a pretty heavy meal.

As to dried meat, yes, if it's cold smoked or dried on low heat. If you get to higher heat you render out the fat and the resulting product loses anywhere from 20 to 60% of it's calories.
>>
question:
Im fighting the addiction rules here; whats a good level for something that onsets really hard at first, and recovery is really hard? Like meth (where you have pangs for it immediately after use, and its hard as shit to kick)
>>
>>47807583
Extremelly Addictive.
>>
>>47807583
Amphetamines aren't that hard to kick, a small therapeutic dose can take care of the physical withdrawal and dependency without providing much of a high.

>>47807791
You could go with that, yeah. You could justify any of the higher levels.
>>
>>47807363
I'm sure it varies by animal type, not to mention I'm sure the required amount of calories per day shoots up if your lifestyle is more active than the average sedentary office worker.
>>
>>47806371 sounds like an action movie protagonist
>>47806279 sounds like a horror movie protagonist
Both are valid approaches to a zombie campaign.
>>
>>47811775
My last character in a zombie game was a formed navy corpsman, that EAS'd and became an EMT. It was fun travelling the apocalypse on an ambulance.
>>
I'm trying to brainstorm an interesting ability for a player of mine who is using Divine Favor for a Dungeon Fantasy(ish) campaign, but a la Dungeon Fantasy 7, wants to serve a god of rogues/messengers... I was thinking of interesting ways to nonlethally dispatch enemies, and the best I could think of was a sleep or daze affliction ability, but was wondering if anyone else had a more interesting idea.
>>
>>47812032
Affliction with Obscure, without the Defensive modifier, so it basically "squid inks" the target.
>>
>>47812032
Dispatch as in KO or its equivalent, or dispatch as in make them useless in a fight?

For the former, you're basically stuck with stun/sleep/etc. as those are the best afflictions for taking someone out of the fight, but you've got a host of options in terms of fluff and flavor. Do you tap into your roguish host and steal their senses, or use your god's silver tongue to talk circles around the foe and leave them a befudled mess, or do you send them a mental "message" of loud noise and blinding light or a fake order from their commander causing them to withdraw? That last one may be best moddled as Affliction (Delusion) or Affliction (Obsession).

For the latter, blindness/deafness is an option, as is any stat reduction/dehibilitation really; the rogue god steals the target's eyesight or wits or grace or whathaveyou.
>>
>>47812205
>>47812283
Thanks friends, interesting food for thought. As to whether it is the non-lethal ko or the non-combat variety, either/or. Looking at the vanilla magic "Daze" spell for example, it feels like a really good one for infiltration because on the outside (especially if you apply no signature) it's not readily apparent the guards aren't even functioning, and they don't seem to be able to recollect what happened either, which is a nice bonus.

Fluff wise, the god she follows has two basic tenets:
Aid and respect those who society would normally consider unworthy (read: dregs and urchins)
Completely protect the integrity of messages between sender and receiver from censorship, snooping, and destruction, regardless of whether the message is your direct responsibility.
>>
>>47812400
Ah so the fake message is a no-go?

Maybe an affliction to represent extreme guilt or pity (rogue) or have them belief the truth to your words (-Will only vs Diplomacy)?
>>
What is /gurpsgen/'s take on these monsters http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/monsters

I have wanted a big set of stat blocks for generic fantasy as I am sick of PF but still can't get enough of that sort of setting, but am not satisfied by the small number of monsters in DF and GURPS Fantasy.
>>
File: NatEnc_Bestiary.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
NatEnc_Bestiary.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47813487
I think they are fine, I especially like that they have an organization by CER, or in other words, power levels.
I've been statting out CERs for the Natural Encyclopedia (attached), and I'm close to finished with that effort, so that's another open source collection of monsters.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/search/label/Natural%20Encyclopedia
>>
>>47813586
Thanks for the resource anon. I am new to the system, so gauging power levels will be important until I really know what I am doing.
>>
>>47813586
That's pretty nice, anon. Thanks!
>>
I really, really want to play a low-points supers/vigilantes game, 50/-50 or maybe even 25/-50, but I don't really know where to start beyond reading Powers. And when people hear 'supers', they immediately think of something much more powerful than what those point values allow. What could be some neat low-points super powers I could pitch as examples?

I decided to use current Berlin as the setting, so if anyone has any info that is not a tourism site, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
File: watchmen_slice_poster.jpg (45 KB, 620x378) Image search: [Google]
watchmen_slice_poster.jpg
45 KB, 620x378
>>47815884
You can try not!watchmen. 4 of them were just humans.
I would probably end up with seriously limited Altered Time Rated, though.
>>
>>47816884

Most of the Watchmen were humans, but not average humans. They were way more than 50 points, even loaded with all their psycho disadvantages.
>>
>>47815884

A mundane 50-point character is an adult who is competent enough to have got a university degree and/or a job. You probably have about 50 points. If you want superpowers, you HAVE to give them more points. Not a lot, necessarily - you can tell them to build a fully fleshed-out, complete character with 50 points, then give them 25-50 points afterwards to spend on super abilities.
>>
Does gurps can handle hitpointless damage system
>>
>>47817301
That's a pretty big abstraction, but I think there's an option for it (I've never used) in the basic set/campaigns book
>>
>>47817301

Not really. Damage is very much tied to HP. You could probably come up with some rules to make it work OK, but I don't think there is anything official (except for things like the zombie mob rules where the members of a mob are either down or not and the cinematic rule where unimportant enemies keel over from any damage).
>>
>>47817301
>Does gurps can handle hitpointless damage system

This could be done:
Each race has the DR (even if 0) of every body area you can hit (they will also have the areas you can hit) and their damage reduction

X=Damage - (DR of armor and etc.. after DR reduction) - (DR of body part, after DR reduction)

Assuming X is positive (if its not positive use your own blunt trauma rule or if you want to simplify stuff dont create a blunt trauma rule):
Damage = ( [X * damage] *multiplied of the weapon damage if any) * multiplier of the body part

The sum of all damages you received is Y

The number Y with some math applied is the chance to survive and is rolled everytime you receive damage.

You write all damages and you heal each damage, not part of your HP.

This is simplified thing, you could improve it more at the cost of makng it more complex
>>
>>47817301

Not keeping track of HP? Pretty easy; simply change death checks from the usual rules to having to make one whenever you suffer more than your HP in injury from a single attack (or in one turn, if you don't mind a little bit of tracking). Characters still have a HP stat, you just don't count them off as they get injured.

Removing the HP stat altogether is more tricky. ST becomes worth rather less if it doesn't affect what injury you can survive, damage no longer has anything to be measured against, etc. I guess you could just get rid of the ST stat and damage rolls entirely (if you are OK with losing the encumbrance rules and fine distinctions between weapons) and have injury simply be declared superficial (only causes a stun check if it hits face, brain or vitals), dangerous (death check if it hits brain or vitals, cripples limbs) or deadly (death check if it hits you anywhere).
>>
https://sites.google.com/site/anthonysgurps/wound-level-system
Here's a wound system I found just by googling. The guy that maintains that site is pretty good so I trust it's thoughtfully implemented, but I haven't done invasive reverse engineering to find out.
>>
>No one has posted anything too close to the varient I'm working on.
Yesssssss.

I'd post what I have so far, but I have delusions of submitting it as an article for the next Alternate GURPS issue.
>>
I'll be sending this to my players; everything seem to be in order?
>>
>>47819794
Give them more ont the setting blurb. This is a nice technical representation of how to build a block of stats, but if they dont know the world theyre living in, theyre gonna be very bland, or god forbid, totally out of tune with the game
>>
>>47819365
you go gurl
>>
>>47819921
Good catch, all the setting info is in another text doc. I was planning on giving them a setting introduction come session 0, but I guess it won't hurt to tell them most of the setting now and just answer questions later.
>>
>>47817073
>>47817143
Yeah, that's another thing I was considering, I'll probably do this. On the other hand, I really wanted them to be pretty common people, just starting out on the vigilante business, maybe even teens who really shouldn't be putting their lives on the line. Few, if any points into anything action related. The first few sessions would probably be spent coming really close to death or maybe even dying (replacement with equal-points characters would be a thing).
I was also kicking around a variant of the Enemy disadvantage, that would allow the group to pick it in play by committing to a plot thread, and you get a fraction of the points the Enemy would be worth immediately, with additional points coming in once you reach it's conclusion. Once done for, Enemies do come back (or representatives, if they died), and would allow the group to build up a rogue gallery of their own in exchange of points. I'll probably turn off the option if they pick too many 'half-enemies'. If you just don't want to deal with this specific Enemy, you can just resolve the initial problem and let it sort itself out, but leaving dangerous criminals to their own devices is bound to have consequences.
>>
>>47819997
>Few, if any points into anything action related. The first few sessions would probably be spent coming really close to death or maybe even dying (replacement with equal-points characters would be a thing).
The tradeoff should be big rewards at the end of session, but avoid just "heres thirty points". Go with "Okay james, looks like you were getting into the fray and wanting to be in the line of fire. How does combat reflexes and a point of health sound to you? Push one of your guns skills up to 4 points?"
Reward them for surviving, but guide them into their roles
>>
>>47820079
The 'guiding hand' approach is in my mind, friend. 'Few points into action things' is about character generation. Obviously they're gonna pick up things that let them do their job properly once the action starts.
>>
>>47817301
I've done this similarly to how Phoenix Command did. Each hit location has a threshold (like HP/2 for limbs) each damage multiple of that threshold gives a penalty to a roll (-5 in general) made when the damage is received to avoid incapacitation of the area hit. Critical-to-life areas mean death on incapacitation (shot in the skull for 50 points? Roll HT-25 or ded).
>>
File: shrug.jpg (65 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
65 KB, 425x282
>>47820535
still uses hit points though. Hopefully the original requester gets what he needs, but HP free GURPS would be night impossible
>>
>>47820634
You need something to compare damage against. You could go more fully Phoenix Command and create a 'knockout value' and base it off Strength. But you're right. It still uses HP or something like them.

Has anybody seen or used a system that is completely HP-less? One that works and isn't purely narrative?
>>
>>47820734
WoD used... stress? If I recall?
Or was that Fate?
Long story short, it gets abstracted SOMEHOW but the minutia of it is system specific.
>>
>>47820797
Fate uses a stress bar. You only have so many slots in the bar. say if someone deals 4 damage to you, and you have 5 slots in the bar, then that damage fills up your 4th slot. If youre dealt 4 damage again it rolls over into the 5th slot. If someone deals 2 damage it fills up the 2nd slot. Once you go above your bar, you are eliminated from the encounter.

Fate's stress track is good at simulating a death by a thousand cuts, and the fact that the party tank could withstand lots of small blows, but could still die to a couple bursts of assault rifle fire, and would still die like everyone else in a big enough explosion.
>>
>>47820734
Harnmaster! And it works great too. It uses distinct injuries, along with injury penalties and shock penalties etc. My fav system along with GURPS.
>>
>>47820797

WoD uses "wound levels" which are essentially hit points.

The difference seems to boil down to systems where you have large numbers of hit points without a lot of damage reduction, like D&D, and those with low hp counts where there's a resistance mechanic.

GURPS by default is in between-- not many hit points, and damage easy to avoid but not reduce without armor.
>>
File: GURPS Skullcat Biotech.png (953 KB, 514x935) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Skullcat Biotech.png
953 KB, 514x935
Threadly reminder, etc.
>>
If a character has a Delusion that eventually becomes true (e.g. Delusion ("I have a reputation as a great hero") is untrue at first, but they eventually acquire that reputation from their actions) should they have to pay points to get rid of the disadvantage, does it just disappear (increasing their point total), or do they keep the Delusion anyway?

>>47819794
You should tell them how many perks and quirks they're allowed, whether combat is abstract or uses a tactical map, and whether they're allowed to spend point for Impulse Buys.
>>
>>47825523
it's not one of those advantages that can be bough toff (self imposed mental disadvantages). It's not like a duty, or a vow. The character is genuinely unhinged in a slight way.

If anything, they should keep the disadvantage, but the details of the delusion should be updated to reflect the deepening delusions. A great hero would start to believe he has a fictional enemy, or that his reputation is much more fortuitous than in reality
>>
>>47820634
>still uses hit points though. Hopefully the original requester gets what he needs, but HP free GURPS would be night impossible

Phoenix command works like this
Weapons have penetration and damage.
They are different based on the distance the target was.
Armor and walls.... have some sort of DR.

Players first check to see if they hit
Then they find where they hit the target (if you use some splatbook, there are tables for shotting at the front, back, rear and oblique side of target).

If (penetration value - "DR") is higher than "DR"
The thing penetrates with full speed, the damage is made according to the body part/side table.
Basically with more pen you penetrate more the body area and while penetrating the area the weapon do more damage. With better damage, you do more damage while you penetrate.

If (penetration value - "DR") is equal or smaller than "DR", but higher than 0:
The reduces the bullet speed, this set your damage to 1, but pen continue the same.

If pen is smaller or equal to "DR"
You use some opitional blunt traume table to find the damage.
PS: the "DR" to blunt trauma is a different stat.

With the damages you received, you find some timer that will tell, when you will need to roll when you die, this is updated every time you receive damage or someone tries to heal you.
When the timer runs out* you check if you will die based on the damage you received and health stat.

There is no HP here
*under the advanced rules you split your death timer, into 3 parts and roll a modified roll on the roll times.
PS: There is also rules for entering shock.
>>
>>47825596
Is English not your first language? Or are you typing this out drunkenly, from memory, on a phone?
>>
Fitness and Recover Energy, do they stack?

One College Magic: if you have prereqs in other colleges, do you have to learn their prereqs as well?
>>
>>47826306
1. Yes
2. You can't learn the prerequisite if it's in a forbidden college. Which means you're fucked.
>>
>>47826306
I don't believe so, I think you just use the best applicable rate of recovery.

Yes, though you still can't cast them.
>>
>>47826382
>Yes
>Double-No

No, you can learn outside of your one college, you just can't cast

>>47826401
>No
>Yes

divergant opinions.

I need a fit as fuck mage thief with most mindcontrol spells.
>>
>>47826306
1. I'm not sure how they would stack, since it sets the recovery rate and doesn't simply say "double the rate of FP recovery," so I'd say no. Fit doesn't help recovery FP spent on spells anyway.

2. p. B67, the One-College Only limitation:
>You learn other spells as though you were a nonmage... You may still count such spells as prerequisites for spells in your own college.
You have to learn them, but outside of a High Mana zone, you can't cast them, so stick to the minimum 1-point investment.
>>
>>47826529
>Fit doesn't help recovery FP spent on spells anyway
Page reference?
>>
>>47826729
p. B55, the very last lines on the page.
>In both cases, this advantage applies only only to FP lost to exertion, heat, etc.
>It has no effect on FP spent to power psi or magic spells.
>>
>>47820734
M&M has you roll a saving throw against a DC set by the attacker. Degrees of success/failure indicate what happens.

It would be a pain implementing that into GURPS though, I imagine. You'd need a way to convert damage into a DC to roll against, and then come up with a way of rolling ST against it, and some sort of ST vs Damage DC Outcome chart or rule.
>>
>>47826799
Yeah man I agree. That sounds dumb to try to implement.
>>
File: 1457833568823.jpg (37 KB, 736x1041) Image search: [Google]
1457833568823.jpg
37 KB, 736x1041
Tomorrow GRIMWYRD again commences
>The party stand on the precipice; the edge of the dark Kingdom of Gorgoth looms on the horizon. Dunes of black sand stretch for miles. Bloodroot clings to the scattered stones of the shattered land. And dead wind rustles bone and ash.
>The party clashes! Many wish to pursue slavers, to possibly save a band of elven scouts. The loot and glory could prove helpful too. But the humour mage is bound by his word; there is not enough proof they are alive, and he wishes to pursue the task before them. To recover the Ansible of Spirits.
>>
File: Party descripotion.png (251 KB, 1050x470) Image search: [Google]
Party descripotion.png
251 KB, 1050x470
>>47828179
I was fucking about on heroforge, made my party
>>
>you will never play with /gurpsg/
>>
>>47828179

>Black sand and red plants.

We get some lava flows in here and it's going to be a heavy metal album cover.
>>
>>47828179
Sounds fun. Here's hoping things stay firmly IC and there's no actual bad feelings between the players.
>>
File: GvwTIFP.jpg (581 KB, 2560x1706) Image search: [Google]
GvwTIFP.jpg
581 KB, 2560x1706
>>47828952
>foreshadowing
>>
File: 1276511934484.jpg (74 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1276511934484.jpg
74 KB, 640x480
>>47829076
Amen. It's genuinely my biggest fear gming for online games. The lack of inflection in pure chat streams. I cringe in fear
>>
>>47828589
>streltsy
It just means "shooters" or "soldiers with firearms" in old russian, you know. Why you englishmen so obsessed with slav words sometimes
>>
File: 20160617_101444.jpg (4 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20160617_101444.jpg
4 MB, 4128x3096
>>47829159
Pretty sure the player is German.
/COMPLICATIONS/
>>
I remember some time ago some anon here converted the whole Food College into Sorcery spells. Does anybody have a link?
>>
>>47829563
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iG0xbO10m0fOr4Y_8l2IMrQbsGTpvZgi6x9bm4t_DMU/edit?usp=sharing

It's probably a little outdated, and since doing that, if I went back, I'd probably find better ways to stat some, but here it is. I stopped working on it when I started the Let's GURPS blog, and that was my first brute force steps into using Powers.
>>
Studied silk armor.
>>
>>47833950

>Studied silk

So it's smarter than regular silk armour?
>>
>>47834051
Yup. Makes feints and targeted attacks against harder.
>>
What is the best discount to offer a player that purchases *multiple* of the "master" combat Advantages, such as Heroic Archer, Gunslinger, Trained by a Master and Weapon Master?

There is certainly quite a bit of overlap between them all (they all contain an Unusual Background that allow you to purchase cinematic Skills) and TBAM/WM overlap in how they both reduce the penalty for multiple Parries.
>>
>>47834606

For TBaM/WM, I'd be tempted to give the maximum 80% (assuming you don't stack the half penalty for rapid strike, etc.) or say they can be Alternative Advantages (which works out the same). Same for Gunslinger and it's derivatives. The discount for someone who takes Gunslinger (etc) and Weapon Master/TBaM is a bit more difficult to judge.
>>
File: 1438739471214.jpg (273 KB, 1191x1587) Image search: [Google]
1438739471214.jpg
273 KB, 1191x1587
>>47835318
>Alternative Advantages
Just remember that method of discounting is intended for a series of mutually exclusive advantages that don't work simultaneously. Like multiple ways to shoot fire, or multiple uses of "BrainPowers"

That being said, I wouldn't discount them all very much. There are not many overlaps. But someone buying all of them is certainly a juggernaut in their own rights. Is he a super of some kind? Can he claim a power discount of 10-15%?
>>
>>47835798

TBaM and Weapon Master are mostly redundant with each other.

They both give reduced penalties to rapid strike and multiple parries, which don't stack (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.8).

They both give access to cinematic skills, techniques, etc. I don't think there are any which are exclusive to one or the other.

You basically don't need TBaM if you are using a weapon you are a Weapon Master with.

Gunslinger and Heroic Archer are basically the same advantage with different weapons. That's absolutely not worth paying for twice. It's more like an enhancement to Gunslinger to extend it to different weapons. +16% per category seems reasonable, which is the same as an 80% discount or buying them as Alternate Abilities.

With something like Weapon Master and Heroic Archer the combination is more useful, since the only benefit which is redundant between the two is access to other cinematic traits.
>>
>>47836018
RAW, I believe WM only gives access to cinematic skills relevant to your weapon's usage, meaning none of the utility skills like Light Walk or Flying Leap.

TBaM: All the cinematic skills
WM: Limited skills but bonus damage.
Both: Improved Rapid Strike/multiple Parries.
>>
I've added some more third edition books to the archive and tidied-up the ones that were in that section a bit.

Does anyone know what the deal with that 'music' folder is? Looks suspicious as hell; I don't fancy downloading the contents to see if they are viruses or whatever. If nobody can explain it, I'm going to go ahead and delete it once I've finished sorting out the third edition stuff.
>>
File: 1511gy.jpg (182 KB, 1500x500) Image search: [Google]
1511gy.jpg
182 KB, 1500x500
>>47837053
thanks for the vigilance yo
>>
Finished uploading all the older books I could find.

Not counting stuff which has a 4th edition version, we're still missing Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Conspiracy X, Covert Ops, Cthulhupunk, Deadlands, Egypt, Faerie, Goblins, Greece, In Nomine, Lensman, Magic Items 3, Mars, Myth, Ogre, Planet Krishna, Planet of Adventure, Reign of Steel, Robin Hood, Scarlet Pimpernel, Space Bestiary, Steam Tech, SWAT, Timeline, Uplift, War Against the Chtorr, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, the Space Atlas and AADA Road Atlas series and most of Transhuman Space, Traveller and Prime Directive books and a bunch of adventures.

I've got hard-copies of Cover Ops, Egypt, Faerie, Greece, Mars, Mars, Steam-Tech and the Transhuman Space books but no scanner. If I get very bored, I might make a shitty copy of some of them using my camera.

We're also missing Pyramid 87 and 88, which I have copies of but which were removed after a takedown notice. Does anyone know if I can simply re-upload them, or does MEGA have a system which auto-takedowns all identical files? If it does, what's the easiest way to slightly alter a PDF to get past that?
>>
FALKIRK
BOMREK
GET THE FUCK IN THE GAME ALREADY
>>
>>47837762

>Famous X-Men load out, essentially one of the classic, standard lineups
>Forge

Wait what
>>
>>47838923
Bomrek, get your ass in the game yo!
>>
>>47838965
I think thats supposed to be colossus?
>>
>1980's
>DnD moral panic
>Some of my coworkers find out I'm a roleplayer
>People start to whisper
>Feeling uncomfortable as fuck
>One day
>People are starting to gather outside
>Realise Im in big trouble
>They dont know the truth
>Oh fuck
>There is a lot of them and they are angry
>Decide to act
>Run
>Grab my books
>Go out the front door
>Show all the people my books
>Its GURPS
>Everyone looks in shock
>Leaves
Thanks Kromm.
>>
File: 1428079644575.png (5 MB, 2048x1382) Image search: [Google]
1428079644575.png
5 MB, 2048x1382
>>47840416
Pic related.
>>
>>47840416
All good Christian boys and girls play GURPS, GURPSfriend.
>>
>>47801556
someone's on a spectrum all right
>>
>>47838850
>missing
I have:

Conspiracy X
black ops
cthulhupumk
egypt
goblins
greece
in nomine conversion
lensman
magic items 3
mars3
planet of adventure
reign of steel
robin hood
scarlet pimpernickel
space bestiary
steam tech
uplift
war against the chtorr
werewolf
space atlas 1,2,3

how do i get you these things?
>>
>>47841307

As PDFs? Just add them to the archive.

Log on to MEGA with the following details:

Name: Ann Onnemuss
E-Mail: [email protected]
Password: 4chanGURPS

Click on the Cloud icon, select the 'Older GURPS books' folder, then file upload (or folder upload if you would rather do it quickly and I can tidy them up).

Thank you.
>>
Which initiative system do you chapfolk use: the standard pure Basic Speed method, or something else?
>>
>>47842613

Just Basic Speed.
>>
>>47842040
k.

doing a folder upload. ill let you know when finished
>>
>>47842040
Is there somewhere there we could put fan stuff for 4e?

Fan templates, monsters, NPCs, Vehicles, etc?

Could be a good way to share and collaborate. Just a thought.
>>
>>47843521

Sure, just add a folder called 'unofficial' and add it. Most fan stuff is text-only, so shouldn't take up much space and MEGA offers lots of storage anyway.
>>
>>47843450
22% done. probably going to take an hour or so. just so you know.
>>
>>47842613
Personally, I've never been a fan of static initiative (like Basic Speed), but it works just fine for GURPS. Still, I wonder if there's an alternate initiative system that's more dynamic and fluid.
>>
>>47842613
Basic speed plus a die. Various modifiers from combat reflexes. That sorta thing.
>>
Luckily GRIMWYRD got off the ground again with all hands on deck (eventually, at least by combat time)

Pity a migrane reminded me of my mortality. Called the game at 4 hours play, but the party are elbow deep in a dark beast man demonic temple.
Little do they suspect, the worst is yet to come :D
>>
>>47843842
done
>>
Is this a bad house rule?

>A roll only critically succeeds if it is less than your effective skill

In other words, if your effective skill is 4, you only critically succeed on a roll of 3, and if your effective skill is 3, you can't critically succeed at all.

Would this unbalance anything?
>>
How difficult would it be to change gurps' "special moves" system ( called shots, deceptive attacks, etc) to something more like runequests, where instead of saying what you're going to attempt, and then taking penalties on the to-hit roll, you make your roll and then use your margin of success to 'buy' special effects, i.e., if you made your roll by five you could choose to get up to -5 worth of effects.
>>
>>47848152
It would only affect between about 1 in 50 and 1 in 200 rolls at those levels. IME actually attempting rolls at those levels is something of an act of desperation anyway it seems like a distinction without a difference to me. It's so rare and such an edge case that I don't really see it unbalancing anything though.
>>
>>47848208
Sounds cinematic and fun. GURPS is all about what type of game you want to play. It might mess with the balance of defensive actions though when it comes to deceptive attacks and such. Also might diminish all-out attacks, and youll want to hash out how it works for rapid strikes.
>>
>>47848208

Not difficult at all. Literally just use margin of success to buy effects at cost. Makes people slightly more effective when attacking, so combat might run a little faster, but overall benefit is roughly the same for everyone.
>>
>>47848855
>>47848208
What this poster said.
Be wary of what it means if an enemy can suddenly choose "I want a -2 deceptive skull hit."
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
>>
>>47838850
>Pyramid 87 and 88
They're in their bruh8, I just checked.
>>
>>47796301
Hey I made that character!
>>
>>47806734
I feel symbol magic is more powerful out of the gate, with spirit talkers you have more control over just how useful it is.

I'd need more information on just what kind of game your aiming for to get a more detailed answer.
>>
>>47844505
The worst isn't killing an orc and leaving him to fall into his own poop after he pooped?

Elves kidnapped by bestial monsters reacted poorly to our beastial monster kicking open the door. Were the orcs feeding them bloodroot? Are we going to have to burn an elf?
>>
>>47848946
Maybe you could instead do it as a special advantage, like..

Flexible combat stance (Physical, 5 points) You can freely trade degree of success on melee attacks in order to penalize defensive rolls vs the attack at -1 defense per 2 degrees of success give up, or pick a target for attack at the cost of a number of degrees of success equal to the called shot penalty, with normal limitations. (You can't target vitals with non-thrusting attacks, ect.)

If it doesn't work you can just strip the advantage out of the game, and there's a reason not every NPC will be able to go for the throat just because they got a lucky roll, as not everyone has to have it.
>>
>>47848946
Considering high margins also occur alongside criticals, you would be replacing nearly all criticals (most likely to the torso or other less-penalized hit locations) with unavoidable hits to the face/skull/eye.
>>
File: 1445739869324.png (797 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1445739869324.png
797 KB, 768x1024
>>47851703
Oh no, there's still loads of
>FUN
to be had.
>>
>>47853461
Might have to rule in a bit there about specialising on only technique hits, or stuff you've invested a modified 'targeted attack' on.
>>
File: 3JrYaUf%255B1%255D[1].png (22 KB, 911x661) Image search: [Google]
3JrYaUf%255B1%255D[1].png
22 KB, 911x661
Bumping thread with math.
I calculated the value of Luck
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/06/math-whats-luck-got-to-do-with-it.html
>>
>>47858935

Those are some sexy graphs. It's also really cool to quantify just how much better Luck makes you.
>>
>>47853569
Man I hope that isn't someone's sexual fetish.
>>
File: 1448234464981.jpg (2 MB, 3508x4967) Image search: [Google]
1448234464981.jpg
2 MB, 3508x4967
>>47861813
>just where do you think you are?
>>
Mind flayer
>extra arms 4 (weak, short, extra flexible) ?
>>
>>47820734

Fate, as mentioned. Or he complete opposite: Riddle of Steel. Every hit is an actual injury, tracked independently of the others and with specific mechanical effects.
>>
How hard would it be to run a decent Warcraft game using GURPS?

Would you need a custom magic system or the like? Just a bunch of racial templates? How would you guys approach it if you were to try such a thing?
>>
>>47864734
I'd knock together templates for blood elves, night elves, free undead, orcs, tuarian and pandarian and go for sorcerery as the magic system, with different races getting different options for what sorcerery to take, and requiring an Unusual Background to take a different race's magic.
>>
Is having hermaphromorph redundant while having Shapeshifting (Morph)?
>>
>>47863749
That could work. Gives an advantage for some grappling without getting crazy.
>>
>>47864869
How would you do up the different racial magics?

How would you handle magic items?
>>
>>47864897
yep, redundant.
>>
File: illithid arms.png (270 KB, 765x891) Image search: [Google]
illithid arms.png
270 KB, 765x891
>>47863749
Look slike you should probably only throw on short -50% if you want them to be able to help in a grapple. And even then, I'd maybe toss on weak (1/2 or 1/4 str) to represent the short flimsyness of them. But otherwise, theyre only gonna help in a grapple to the face. Give the flayer targeted attack(brawling/skull) if it's gonna brain eat. Also a sharp beak and maybe(!) an armor divisor on that beak for it too
>>
>>47865019
That them out as signature gear that grant advantages, mostly. A magic sword that gives you +1 to broadsword skill gets you broadsword with the limitations to make it cheaper.

So.. Frostmourn would be a gaget that gives you Signature Gear (Fine Quaility Greatsword) with a linked +2d burning damage from cold and some mental disadvantages built in because it's evil as shit.
>>
File: 119284445141.jpg (29 KB, 345x281) Image search: [Google]
119284445141.jpg
29 KB, 345x281
>>47865272
Imbuments from Power ups might be better suited.
Or really, just hand crafted things from the GM. Really a Monty Haul.
>>
>>47865285
Yeah, my idea really only works well if every magic item is iconic/signature to the character. If you are getting them as loot and swapping them often, it's not a good way to do it.
>>
When they say -X%, the percentage is calculated on the raw cost, i.e., unmodified cost, or the current cost, i.e. taking the cost modifiers into account?
>>
>>47865591
yes?
SO if I have a 15 point advantage like combat reflexes, it costs 15 points

If I have -10% PSI on that, because is comes from mental attunement of my brain juices, then it costs (15 -10% or 15 -1.5, rounded up or 14 points.

If I have -10% from psi as well as -15% pact (intolerance:racism) from being a psychic nazi then it costs (15 -25% or 15 - 3.75 rounded up again, 12 points)'

Savvy?
>>
>>47865950
I see, thanks. What kind of Rank would a leader of a clandestine spy an assassin network have?
>>
>>47865995
>Rank
Depends entirely on the number of ranks that kind of guild would have;Assuming of course, the assassins are organized that way.

It could have as many as a dozen ranks, or as few as two. Up to the GM, yo.
>>
>>47865591
By default, the discount comes off the base cost; a -10% limitation off a 10-point advantage gives you one point back, regardless of if the advantage has no enhancements or +300% worth.

However, there's a variant (from Powers, I think) that has you total up the enhancements then apply any limitation discounts; this is a campaign switch for games that routinely include enhancers that get up into the +200% or more range, as those crippling -80% limitations really don't save too many points in the face of a single +300% Cosmic enhancement.
>>
>>47865995
>Clabdestine
This makes it really tricky, because there are only two purposes for Rank: the main benefit is social regard and the secondary is the ability to call upon your Rank-giving organization for help.

The social regard is moot if you can't tell people your Rank; despite your prestigious position, you can throw your weight around as that would require revealing who you are and what you do; no one tells the head waiter that he's a super badass assassin lord to secure a good table.

Asking your organization for help has its own in-depth rules. If you don't want to mess with those, just buy the assassins as a Patron with stupidly-high appearance frequency (you're their boss, so they always listen to you). You still have a Duty to your Patron in the form of "lead the assassins and act as a boss should."
>>
>>47858935
That is very useful! Thanks. One question though. How does the distribution change if the first roll is 17 or 18? That is, if Luck is used almost exclusively as crit insurance (which is how most of my players use it).
>>
>>47866242
>Asking your organization for help has its own in-depth rules.
Where specifically?
>>
>>47780635
I never understood this obsession with vehicles. I play gurps for years, and I can't remember one single stance where any vehicle was actually meaningful for anything besides go from point A to B and as an inventory. You don't need stats for that.
>>
File: the_chase_by_jamajurabaev.jpg (503 KB, 1280x624) Image search: [Google]
the_chase_by_jamajurabaev.jpg
503 KB, 1280x624
>>47866499
>I can't remember one single stance where any vehicle was actually meaningful
Of course you didn't, because there are no rules for that!
>>
>>47866441
Social Engineering: Pulling Rank
DF17: Guilds also includes worked examples of various organizations that offer/specialize in certain requests.
>>
File: animoot bravo.gif (403 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
animoot bravo.gif
403 KB, 160x160
>>47866649
Oh you magnificent bastard!
>>
>>47866289
Huh, never thought of the problem in that specific context. It's probably a bit more complicated...

I think it would be [N-1]/N where N is the amount of rolls a player performs in an hour/half hour/15 minutes/etc.
If you do 20 rolls an hour (an awful lot) that's a 5 percent improvement.
If you do 10 rolls in a half an hour and have the next better level of luck, that's a 10 percent improvement.
If you do 5 rolls in 15 minutes and you have level 3 luck [I forgot all their names] that would be a 20 percent improvement.

That assumes, like you said, that people are using it specifically for "critical failure insurance."
>>
>>47867097
Er, that is, 1- {[n-1]/n}
>>
>>47867125
Oh, and lastly, probably multiply that result by 1-[3/216]^2, or approximately, 99.98%, the odds that both rerolls won't be critical failures... unless your skill is so low that you can get critical failures more easily, or so high that you only get critical failures on an 18 instead.
>>
Is the following combination of actions rules legal within a second?

Fast-Draw (Long Arm) of a double barrel shotgun.
Attack/All-Out Attack with said shotgun.
Drop said shotgun.
Fast-Draw (Pistol) of a sidearm.

The entry on Fast-Draw says the following:

"A successful roll means
you ready the weapon instantly. This
does not count as a combat maneuver;
you can use the weapon to attack on
the same turn."

Dropping an item is a Free Action.

However...does the second Fast-Draw attempt count as a full-fledged action unto itself? I know the Martial Arts supplement has rules on multiple fast draws, but...
>>
>>47867547
How many free actions do you think you get?
>>
>>47867097
I'd say bug Kromm about it. I'm sure he's willing to expound on how he sees it as being balanced and what it's "intent" is as an advantage.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.