[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Confrontation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: Cadwallon_cover.jpg (106 KB, 527x715) Image search: [Google]
Cadwallon_cover.jpg
106 KB, 527x715
Does /tg/ remembe Confrontation at all? What was it like? I have been reading into the setting and the models, and it all looks really nice with the Dirz Alchemists being my favorite part of it (Yet very very French). Does anyone even still play this game?
It seems like Age of Ragnarok killed it off as ungraciously as another Age of game.
>>
Too be fair rack ham was slowly shooting themselves in the foot in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>47777470
I think people wholly abandoned confrontation for wrath of kings or other games, it's a shame because there's a lot of models I liked that I'll never get
>>
>>47777780
So much this. The models were top notch, the designers generally knew what they were doing. It is a shame that most of it being OOP, you have to resort to Ukranian recasts or CMoN who sells only a small number of figures for extortionate prices.
>>
File: grch08_copy.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
grch08_copy.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
>>47777470
Anyone know if this site is legit? I'd kill someone for this bad ass motherfucker right here

http://cadwallon.com/
>>
>>47777470
How did Confrontation play? I've never looked at the rules
>>
>>47777780
Well, its been dead for years, and most of the people that worked on Confrontation moved onto those other games like WoK, so its not surprising people migrated to them.
>>
>>47782612
Do people even play WoK? I've never seen it at the LGS
>>
>>47780893
I've been to that site before but never ordered anything. It's a little dodgey with some (more recently sculpted) figures not appearing to be consistent with the older ones that I'm familiar with.

>>47781906
I kind of liked elements of the gameplay. It felt more skirmishy with smaller forces, what little I did play of it. They had a set of campaign rules that felt kind of like Mordheim with getting hurt and psychology stuff. Rules in general were kind of sloppy in writing from what I've been told (I learned from people who already knew how to play.)

If I remember right, wounding involved getting through a character's toughness stat and based on how much got through, it determined the type of wound they got. If you got enough light wounds, your status gets bumped down to the next wound status. You start to take penalties as you get bumped down until you're either incapacitated or dead.
>>
>>47777470
The art and minis were top notch,I never played it tough.
>>
>>47777470
I don't know anything about the minis game that it's based on, but I saw this at a used book store, and it was really cheap (under 10 bucks).

It's one of my favorite RPG books, as far as layout, art, style, and setting go, but the rules are written really poorly, and certain things are really strange, to me.

I have a feeling that a lot of stuff is lost in the translation.
>>
>>47783698
Got a scan? Could be fun to read
>>
I know sombody bought the rights on it for restart the game
>>
>>47783706
I don't.

Maybe I should scan it. I don't know though, it's one of the nicest RPG books I've ever seen. I wouldn't really go through the trouble of scanning it without taking it apart...

I'll look for a PDF of it. I know I've seen it before.
>>
>>47777470
It just provres that you can't succeed in tabletop gaming market if you aren't Anglo.
>>
>>47783706
>>47783961
Here's a pdf of it I found somewhere.

https://mega.nz/#!g8hQQI6b!MVIrWqowpqL4dftKQVShW0acfYIq_CJH_CLjOdfQpCY
>>
>>47777470
My favorite part was the irradiated Mid'Nor dwarfs that had to sew themselves inside the skins of their ennemies. Pretty original for dwarves.

It's been something like 10 years, but as far as I remember it was a very solid skirmish game despite some balance issues. And it had the best minis. The rest didn't even compare in terms of sculpting and official painting.

The Hybrid boardgame was very good too. Paladins exploring forgotten Dirz laboratories full of experimentations.

>It seems like Age of Ragnarok killed it off as ungraciously as another Age of game.
Its parent company crashed, so Rackham was cut into bits and sold to pay off the depbts. By itself it was fairly successful, if niche.
>>
>>47777470
When it was out people were all over it at my LGS dropping everything else and probably having a cute french pr coming to show the game helped it a bit. But I never jumped into it, the card system never did for me.
Now I regret I never grabed the models I like, cause it is nearly impossible to get them.
Well, live and learn I suppose.
>>
>>47780893
Its legit. Just recast and people who now fo miniatures and terrain for a game that does not exist.
>>
>>47783052
Not really. I blame $70 starter sets when other hip games like Malifaux, Infinity, Warmachine ect sell them for $40, and GW sells theirs for only slightly more. I have heard some complaints about the rules, but the figures look rad to the point where I might buy some to use in Kings of War.
>>
File: img3d_001093.jpg (68 KB, 609x700) Image search: [Google]
img3d_001093.jpg
68 KB, 609x700
>>47787375
I like the new designs a lot. I would definitely use this guy as a WHFB mounted warpriest.
>>
I remember ogling the models.
>>
>>47784861
cool, thanks!
>>
>>47784861
Thanks anon.
Have the two "Secrets" books been published in english ?
>>
>>47790409
I own the first, but I don't know about the second.
>>
>>47784861
That's perfect, thanks anon. I previously only had a scanned version, but the official PDF version looks much better.
>>
File: mystere-templier.jpg (38 KB, 463x650) Image search: [Google]
mystere-templier.jpg
38 KB, 463x650
Aww yiss, Griffins of Akkylannia representing !

There is still a more or less active community in France, housing tournaments and creating new profiles for miniatures judged fit to the universe. They also reworked the rules to balance the whole stuff.
Here's the official forum : http://confrontation.vraiforum.com/index.php
>>
>>47792727
I always like seeing how their are enthusiasts who are still into anything. It reminds me of the WHFB fanmade 9th edition rules, and most of the retroclones which sort of update AD&D 2E.
>>
>>47788030
I think they should've gone with less in the starters, but at least they are one of those that you can buy and have enough to play. Unlike most that claim that, WoK has a limit to army size, and each starter is close to it, so its almost literally all you need to pay.
>>
>>47792727
I was a fan of Griffins, too, although I never got a chance to play. Mostly, I collected the minis because they were so amazing.
>>
Confrontation was an ok game from a base mechanics standpoint. It was individual unit designs that broke the game, and how they'd usually release a new unit that was basically just a straight replacement of an old shitty unit. They also were in the process of expanding to a ridiculously large number of factions, which left many of the more unpopular faction forgotten and unloved.
>>
I found the first secrets book on scribid:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/261223145/Cadwallon-Secrets-Volume-1
>>
>>47780893
Bought acheron morbid puppets to flesh out my collection. Showed up legit and shit, even had scenic bases for no reason. As long as you don't mind the state department tracking you for getting packages covered in cheeki breeki language and recasters its great.
>>
>>47797421
Can some kind anon upload that to somewhere other than scribd.com? And should I bother looking for an English language version?
>>
>>47797764
they don't sell morbid puppets though. at least they are not in the catalog.
>>
>>47802868
They don't have Morbid Angels either, I would kill for a set of those.
>>
>>47803571
Not to pour salt on the wound, but from what I understand about Rackham's dissolution, a lot of the molds for the figures were thrown in the garbage when the company folded. It's a tragedy and a crime.
>>
>>47804023
there was a french store that sold some of the molds a while ago.
>>
>>47792727
I remember dling some homerules in the past, these the same guys?
>>
>>47787375
Cool I'll have to put in an order this weekend, how's the quality?
>>
File: carte_d_aarklash.jpg (806 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
carte_d_aarklash.jpg
806 KB, 3000x2116
>>47807440
I came a little late in the game to awsher to know, but theses guys try to stick to the original rules and mostly change what's considered unbalanced. Among else, they do not change officials units profiles, only their price.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.