[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing an rpg with inexperienced friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: casuals.jpg (6 KB, 200x223) Image search: [Google]
casuals.jpg
6 KB, 200x223
I have a set of friends that are interested in playing an rpg and I have experience as a DM playing 3.5, but I'm afraid that the complexities and the depth might intimidate them and cut the game short. I want the game to be as fun and easy to pick up as possible. Do you guys know any systems like that?
>>
File: face 1393295621185.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
face 1393295621185.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>5e
>>
>>47777164
Fate is pretty easy to pick up
>>
>>47777189
Is 5e really so easy that anybody can pick it up with minimal reading? These are guys who are totally non-serious about playing the game.
>>
File: Red Rock Five.png (943 KB, 1056x816) Image search: [Google]
Red Rock Five.png
943 KB, 1056x816
>>
File: Sputnik Lost.png (168 KB, 882x1112) Image search: [Google]
Sputnik Lost.png
168 KB, 882x1112
>>
File: Drunken Bear Fighter.jpg (461 KB, 1224x1584) Image search: [Google]
Drunken Bear Fighter.jpg
461 KB, 1224x1584
>>
>>47777263
More people need to learn to play Monsters and Other Childish Things, and it does that pretty good. I've helped multiple players make characters without them even reading the rulebook.
>>
>>47777263
yes. But why are you playing with people like that?
>>
>>47777443
that seems really cool and right up my alley, thanks a ton dude
>>47777489
is that easy to learn? the concept seems pretty cool and comical
>>47777525
because they're people I like hanging out with and I mentioned that I had played d&d and they asked to play "a game like that"
>>
>>47777164
Whatever system you go with your players don't need to have memorised the whole rule book. Just tell them the really core stuff, the basic mechanics, a few options for the kind of stuff they might want to do, the rest they can pick up as the game progresses
>>
>>47777578
Pretty easy. Once you've got your head around the rolling and combat mechanics, it's basically just "Say the thing you want to do and see what the GM makes you roll".

Also it has splatbooks containing a setting best described as A Series Of Unfortunate Events crossed with X-Men and a T-shirt with three wolves howling at the moon that lets you reroll a skill check just because of how cool and confident you are, but also gives you a -1 to your Charm and Connive skills because everyone is intimidated and jealous of your coolness.
>>
>>47777582
that's a pretty good idea, I might just run them through the basics of 3.5 because it's the one I have the most experience with.
>>
>>47777609
is it built on a different system, or is it a standalone thing?
>>
>>47777650
It uses the One Roll Engine, as seen in Wild Talents and Nemesis, but it's still standalone.
>>
>>47777669
we're trying to play the dumbest and funniest game we can find, and I feel like, if played correctly, this could be really dumb. I love it, thanks dude!
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96 KB, 869x425) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96 KB, 869x425
>>47777263
Go with something like Risus if you want barely-a-game zany fun time. Go with Barbarians of Lemuria if you want a minimalist Conan-style swords & sorcery game (see pic). Regardless of what you go with though, keep in mind that the players don't need to know all the rules. Ideally, you'll be playing something where character creation isn't too involved and you can just talk them through that.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.