[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a modern HeroQuest equivalent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: More HeroQuest.webm (687 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
More HeroQuest.webm
687 KB, 854x480
Is there a modern HeroQuest equivalent?
>>
>>47771313
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Quest-Silver-Tower
>>
Dungeon Saga is pretty good.
>>
File: whq.jpg (60 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
whq.jpg
60 KB, 500x375
>>47771336
Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower is more of a modern equivalent for Warhammer Quest.
>>
>>47771313

Imperial Assault
>>
>>47771313

Super Dungeon explore has a different aesthetic, but it's fairly similar IMO

>>47771375
Isn't WarhammerQuest basically the same thing? I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>>47771313
That Spanish "HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition", GW Warhammer Silver Tower remake of Warhammer Quest (-ish). Descent. Imperial Assault. And countless kick starters of many different dungeon crawl board games with miniatures.
>>
>>47774420
>That Spanish "HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition"
I think it got nuked.
>>
>>47774512
It's still in production as I understand and judging from pictures of sculpts and such it's looking fine. But yes, not an optimal choise by any means to look for.
>>
Descent is loads of fun.

>>47774420
Is that thing actually coming out? I assumed that it was the board game equivalent of Episode 3.
>>
File: dj01_sample.png (186 KB, 325x282) Image search: [Google]
dj01_sample.png
186 KB, 325x282
>>47774420
I think Descent have a very good edge against the others in that the "DM" is legit playing against the "regular players". There's mechanics for both sides losing and none of the outcomes will be a GAME OVER, it just changes the conditions for the next scenario.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/product-document-archive/
>ctrl+F "Descent"
>>
>not posted in the OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
>>
>>47779725
The fuck? This is the 1ed rules! i thought I finally found a place where they had collected all their goddamned pdfs

I just want https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/57/b6/57b629d9-4b49-4a2f-8def-6ba7898478ac/dj07_rulebook.pdf et al neatly collected in one same place.
>>
>>47771740
As HQ? Better detailed, and in more in line with the old WHFB, rules.
>>
>>47779761
This guy is a hero.
>>
>>47771689
Imperial Assault is nice and catches the star wars feeling of rebels fighting guerilla style vs empire (the DM). But it's essentially a racing game. Fighting is secondary, you mainly just rush to objectives. I have some other personal complaint: LoS is a little weird, cover doesn't exist, lots of different dice makes damage calculation a little complicated.

It's a solid game and I'll definitely buy more, but I'm also searching for another system for tactical combat, which suits my tastes better (WEG star wars d6?)
>>
File: dungeonsaga.jpg (82 KB, 538x649) Image search: [Google]
dungeonsaga.jpg
82 KB, 538x649
>>47771313
There's Dungeon Saga, which comes in a neat book box.
>>
>>47771313
Descent dude, the best dungeon crawler in my opinion.
>>
GRAVITY WORLD
>>
It's in style to do these pvg dungeon crawl games, there are plenty.
>>
There's a website called Yeoldeinn that has heaps of player-made heroquest stuff, from characters to homebrew rules changes to campaigns. So if you can't find anything else, why not just keep playing heroquest?
>>
>>47779725
>>47783482
Descent is complete dogshit, though. It's pretty much the worst dungeoncrawler out there, any other alternative is better. It's a fucking racing game, combat is pointless, many rules are completely fucked, it's stacked against the Overlord and this only touches on the problems of that piece of shit waste of space.
You can literally break the game in half as the heroes by completely ignoring the mission objectives and only going for loot. Rack up tons of gold, never buy anything and buy items at the start of the second half, presto. The game is a fucking joke.
>>
>>47776752
I remember it was all ready to go and a KS was launched, with promos, video, sculpts and everything. But then there was an a contention about the name (with some obscure spanish rpg, mind you).
The KS was put on hold without any timeframe prevision and that's where my knowledge on the matter ends.
I for one would be pretty happy to learn the project is still alive and would make it to the stores.
>>
File: 1349585861089.jpg (102 KB, 630x441) Image search: [Google]
1349585861089.jpg
102 KB, 630x441
>>47784903
>not going fast
>>
>>47785187
Not an obscure Spanish RPG, a US one.

It's why they could make it for Spain, but couldn't advertise it in the US, because they didn't have the US rights to the name.

(Because the company that has them had wanted to use the name since before GW did the board game, they just hadn't registered it. So they got it when they could)
>>
>>47785281
Oh okay, told you if I remember right...
So that means the game is out in Spain?
>>
>>47785214

>Net_Neutrality.png
>>>/g/
>>
Descent doesn't have the exploration nor is it as rules light as Heroquest.

I really like the combat dice matching hits to defense mechanic in Heroquest which isn't very common though looks like the in progress KS for dungeon crawler Massive Darknesses uses.

The closest contender is Dungeon Saga imo. The current trend is toward co-op games with no dungeon master and inthinknthat sucks. I get very little satisfaction in winning vs a game designers mechanic. Talking shit to the Dungeon Master is so much more fun.
>>
>>47785441
If you can understand Spanish, take a look:
http://www.jugamostodos.org/index.php/noticias-en-espana/otros-articulos-94369/6440-el-valor-del-dinero

Short answer, it is not out. And the owner of the company making it is really really shady, which makes his interviews very funny, if you didn't put money on his project.

He only has the rights to the name, in Spain. Still, he seems to think that gives him full rights to the game. Also, nothing concrete about the game has been shown, even thought it was "finished" more than a year ago, and most of the images from the figures included in the game come from third parties, which usually is not clear how they got them.
>>
>>47785441
Yeah no problem.
I just figured I'd give the lowdown. I had to read up on so much copywrite shit at the time to answer questions on here.
>>
File: dj07_rulebook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
dj07_rulebook.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47786190
>exploration
I'm not really seeing that as a pro in this discussion. Just moving around for several turns to even find what you're looking for just seems like such a waste of time. It might be a thing in vidyas but fuck no in boardgaming.
I like having the whole play area set up, knowing exact what you need to do and what the conditions are. It's then up to you and your planning to make the most out what resources you have at hand.
>>
>>47779761
Made me laugh more than it had any right to
>>
>>47771313
I remember HQ being this awesome game from childhood and I don't want to kill my nostalgia so is warhammer quest good enough to play and not ruin my memories?
>>
>>47771313
Descent?
>>
>>47786190
What are some of the current coop-dames you talk about?
>>
>>47787002
It's decent!
https://kat.cr/warhammer-quest-combined-collections-t1976897.html
>>
>>47787002
It's HQ with WHFB ruleset, campaign and post-mission debriefing rules like in necromunda.
>>
>>47787086

They are shit but since you insist: Myth, Super Dungeon Explore, D&D line of adventure boardgames, Shadoes of brimstone
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.