[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
System Suggestion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Airship-battle.jpg (277 KB, 1000x640) Image search: [Google]
Airship-battle.jpg
277 KB, 1000x640
Sup' /tg/, I've recently had the idea to run a game in which the PCs commanded a small airship flotilla and I would like to know which system you think it would be the most appropiate.

>obligatory inb4 GURPS
>>
>>47769860
Going only by that you could play it in fucking anything.

So I'm going to do the reasonable thing and shill Strike! You can either stat out the airships using the tactical combat stuff, or the vechicle supplement (though I have not read that).

But really, based on that premise any generic system would work, or even non-generic ones with very little adjustment.
>>
GURPS lacks a 4e vehicle supplement though, so the best thing you could hope for is a reworked spaceships thing (using that system would be a bit cumbersome though if you tried to control a whole flotilla).

I would consider picking a wargame for the flotilla stuff and a rpg for the character stuff
>>
>>47769908
A wargame, then? Color me interested. I'm not very familiar with that type of games, so I would be very grateful if you suggested me some.

>>47769896
Also, I'll check that game out.
>>
>>47769921

Yeah, just pick an ordinary wargame (I'm certain there are anons who dabble with that sort here) for the actual flotilla battles and then have an rpg for the character stuff.

Then, the rpg characters' stats could decide how large flotillas they get.
>>
>>47769986

Thanks anon! I'll go and search for a proper wargame
>>
File: crimson skies planes.jpg (315 KB, 1236x1602) Image search: [Google]
crimson skies planes.jpg
315 KB, 1236x1602
>>47769860
Airship rules are just vehicle rules, any system can do it. The real question is what you want to focus the game on.

The flotilla bit may be more relevant because most systems will leave NPC group management to the GM's imagination. Reign doesn't though, and its company rules can plug into any system.

Let's stay with ORE for a while because I believe it could be a great fit. It's fast and very flexible to mod. If you want to build your own there's nothing better. Look at ORE Mecha for detailed vehicles.

Other generic systems which could do well are classic BRP and the innovative Fate. /tg/ also has a lot of fans of Powered by the Apocalypse and Savage Worlds. Gurps is a meme, but the splats are good genre inspiration if you find one that fits.

For a diesel airship world see Crimson Skies.
>>
>>47769896
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>47770315
For the warm fuzzy feeling I get from your replies.

No, wait, it's because it's a generic system that can be made to fit a lot of concepts. Whew, almost walked into that one!
>>
>>47770315
OP here, what's exactly wrong with Strike!?
>>
>>47771318
Not that guy, here's the issues you may run into:

The layout sucks, and the art is kinda poor (although I had a few smirks at some visual jokes), and the tone is sorta personal.

The core of the game is bare bones and while very simple, also not really deep. It's also narrative/gamist focused, instead of simulation.

The game gives you crunch and expects you to make your own fluff. It expects you to make a cohesive character; it does nothing to stop a player from making a nonsensical mess. This is especially important because since you make the "adventuring" and "combat" side of your characters separate, you could create jarring shit like 100yo grandma who can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes, but only when in combat (this shouldn't be a problem for you since you would be using it to stat the airships, which are different from the character anyway).

It's extremely streamlined, but that also means it doesn't represent small incremental increases to abilities well.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.