[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/btg/ - Battletech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71
File: hello there.jpg (70 KB, 385x759) Image search: [Google]
hello there.jpg
70 KB, 385x759
/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Light 'Mech Edition

Old Thread: >>47731171

===================================
TtS: Promised Land
http://www.mediafire.com/download/58qc4n2owy2gsb7/E-CAT35SN206_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Promised_Land.pdf

First Succession War
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dp9iiecoaz4c29k/E-CAT35235_BattleTech+First+Succession+War.pdf

TtS: Brownsville
https://mega.nz/#!7xMngZBR!d0Ayoy_8rDrtsXZ7-M6wGPrmDq8O8F5_0d4G8dkLxzM
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
File: btg.jpg (75 KB, 236x251) Image search: [Google]
btg.jpg
75 KB, 236x251
>Wake the fuck up, /btg/!
>>
HAHA BUTTE NORMAN BONE HOLD
>>
File: Zeus and friends.jpg (125 KB, 909x1093) Image search: [Google]
Zeus and friends.jpg
125 KB, 909x1093
Lyran Scout Lance reporting in.
>>
File: BW6Y3cy.jpg (318 KB, 1280x993) Image search: [Google]
BW6Y3cy.jpg
318 KB, 1280x993
Has anyone ever played a scenario that involved fortifications? Are there any canon examples beyond the usual big bunker under a mountain with turrets?

Given that orbital bombardment is an Ares no-no, why wouldn't simple, cheap earthen works abound to defend obvious targets? The troops you've got garrisoning worlds can't be so busy patrolling and pressing uniforms that they can't entrench. By the glories of FASA-nomics, virtually every world has both undeveloped land and an untapped labor force. I'm not saying that everyone (who isn't appropriately paranoid for the setting) should have a 6-Hex wide, level 9 wall around their settlement but shouldn't they have something (besides 5 mapsheets of depth 1 water crossed by three narrow causeways covered in command detonated mines) to keep them safe?
>>
>>47769961
>Given that orbital bombardment is an Ares no-no, why wouldn't simple, cheap earthen works abound to defend obvious targets?

Largely because air-dropping Mech forces is still a thing. It's extremely safe and extremely accurate, unlike IRL airdrops. If your fort is big enough to support a company, I air-drop a battalion. If you have a battalion in there, I air-drop a regiment.

Or, alternatively, I let you sit inside your fortification while I airdrop onto OTHER important stuff on your planet.

Or I bomb you with thermobarics while you sit inside a fort that is now exploding AND on fire (although this isn't as helpful an answer as I'd like. For practical purposes, ASFs and thermobarics completely obsolete any actual ground forces. Way to go, CGL).
>>
>>47769961
That place looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>47769961
Ah, Bourtange.

I live near that place, though I've never gone to take a look at it.
Maybe I should.
>>
>>47769961
My group did a scenario involving fortifications with some turrets a few weeks ago. Light stuff mostly since the defenders were in the Periphery. Just looked up the rules on turrets and placed high walls for the most part.
>>
>>47769991
A dirt wall isn´t going to do much, but it is better than nothing.
Just give some peasants a spade and a dozer or two and tell them to start digging.
>>
>Victor looked over at Andrew Redburn. "You can see now, Andrew, why I can't blame my sister for Morgan's death, even though I would love to. Since we have no smoking gun to implicate her, there is no purpose served by even letting a rumor of her involvement slip out And, if the Blakists are behind this, shutting down the discord within our returning forces will frustrate them."

>"I can see that, Highness, and I agree." Worry furrowed Redburn's brow. "But what are we going to say about Penrose? Everyone knows he did it. Now we're just waiting for the why."

>Victor allowed himself a careful smile. "Back in the war of 3039, the First Kathil Uhlans did some fighting on Quentin, then were pulled off and the Combine took the world. Turns out Penrose was from Quentin—or will be once his files are morphed—and lost his mother, father, and the rest of his family there. He blamed Morgan Hasek-Davion for the death of his family and planned revenge. He moved to the Lyran half of the Commonwealth and, being an orphan, Loki welcomed him in, He hoped to get close to Morgan soon thereafter, but the Clan invasion kind of killed those plans. He'd given up hope, left the service, joined,ComStar and, as his luck would have it, got assigned to the task force. There his training came in handy and he got his revenge."

>The Elemental smiled. "I have never before heard a lie more smoothly constructed."

>Focht laughed. "It also explains why he wanted to implicate the Combine in the murder, since it was their conquest that killed his family. It will work and our files will be adjusted to show his personality profile did show him to be a borderline paranoid, but who isn't these days, with the Clans and all?"

>The Prince glanced over at Focht. "That could hold ComStar up to some heat for Morgan's death."

>"It is a storm we will weather."

>Victor looked to Redburn and Tiaret. "Any objections to that story?"
>>
File: K5H6tns.png (285 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
K5H6tns.png
285 KB, 720x720
>>47770298
>Tiaret shook her head, but Redburn hesitated. "You're not going to be forgetting to get to the bottom of the mystery just because you've got a cover story, are you?"

>Victor swallowed hard against the lump that materialized again in his throat. "You have my word, Andrew, that Morgan's death will not go unavenged. When we find out who did it and get him, if you want to pull the trigger, you've got the job."

So... this is the power of... Victor promising to look into Morgan's death, eh? Not bad...
>>
File: by grabthar's hammer.gif (2 MB, 497x221) Image search: [Google]
by grabthar's hammer.gif
2 MB, 497x221
>>47770306
Vic's no Sir Alexander Dane.
>>
File: Johnsondale with Markers.jpg (2 MB, 1537x1888) Image search: [Google]
Johnsondale with Markers.jpg
2 MB, 1537x1888
>>47769961
>Has anyone ever played a scenario that involved fortifications?
I have yes. The biggest problem with them is that you either can airdrop troops on to the fort, as >>47769991 said, or you bomb the shit out of the fort, or ignore it. Since the average combat zone for a BattleMech regiment can be a continent, I can just leave you holed up in your base while I tear up the surrounding countryside. Pic related is a map of a game I ran for my players using BattleForce. Each hex is ~20km. The First and Third Hastati battalions were holed up in bases trying to repair and refit, while the PC regiment and the other battalion had to pin down the Vegan Regulars company before they retreated back to Draconis lines.

>Are there any canon examples beyond the usual big bunker under a mountain with turrets?
Statted? No. But we have a lot of descriptions of bases and so forth that are "normal" bases. The problem with these is that unlike a Castle Brian or a Pseudo Brian like Mount Davion is that WarShips give no fucks about air defenses, and the orbital guns from Mech Commander are functionally impossible.
>>
File: tiny_tonk.jpg (126 KB, 406x223) Image search: [Google]
tiny_tonk.jpg
126 KB, 406x223
So, i was thinking about buying some 6mm Merkavas, Buratinos, Marders and other modern vehicles and shit like that to proxy bt vehicles with. Is it a bad idea?
>>
>>47771073
>Statted? No
The free Hexpack Promotion 1 is all fortified building for bases actually, with full stats including BV. They're listed on the MUL even.

Some of them aren't much a threat to anything though, armed with only infantry support weapons, though the best of them do have some nasty armament, and could be an issue on the scale of a normal BT game if they were used.

But in the end, they're still immobile targets, and even gun emplacements and fortified structures halving damage means they won't last too long, especially once the armor is stripped they start taking crits.
>>
>>47771961
Nope, already had some folks that have posted their GHQ standins. Go for it.
>>
>>47771966
>>The free Hexpack Promotion 1 is all fortified building for bases actually, with full stats including BV. They're listed on the MUL even.
Mmm. I never bothered to get the hexpacks, so I wouldn't know. Cool though.
>>
File: JVN_10_N_Javelin_base.png.jpg (240 KB, 1279x1482) Image search: [Google]
JVN_10_N_Javelin_base.png.jpg
240 KB, 1279x1482
>>47769991
>Or I bomb you with thermobarics while you sit inside a fort that is now exploding AND on fire

Do people really imagine themobaric bombs to be like explodium Napalm?
>>
>>47772176
>dat javelin tho
Anon, thanks for that art. Just when I thought I couldn't be harder, you proved me wrong.
>>
>>47772176

Doesn't matter what they imagine. It just matters what the rules are.
>>
>>47772176
The writers are about 95% likely to have been listening to slavaboos when they were writing about thermobarics, so basically yes
>>
>>47771961
I've seen pictures of people using freakin pokemon figures for stand-ins for battlemechs.

Don't worry too much about it.
>>
>>47772176
Have you seen the Thermobaric rules? Mechanically they're better than normal bombs and have a chance to set shit on fire, and the overpressure fucks up infantry.
>>
>Want to learn Battletech.
>No one in my area plays.
>Closest shop is in Houston, over 100 miles away.
>Can't convince my friends to try since they couldn't care less about non-mecha mechs.

I know Megamek is a thing, but is there like a tutorial or something on how to actually play Battletech? I've started to read the rulebook, but it'd be nice to have something more formal on the off-chance I do find a group.
>>
>>47774474
>a tutorial or something on how to actually play Battletech
That'd be handy. It basically seems to be a game that requires you learn from someone else, which is rough for folks in your position. Best thing I can recommend is to read the rules in the IntroBox (which is what I assume you have) and to play out the intro scenarios yourself (just run both mechs). it's non-ideal, but it'll get the job done for you learning how the game mechanically functions.

Seriously though, try to find less shit friends or take the day trip to the shop in Houston and try to find someone there.

Also, where are you that the nearest gaming store is 100 miles away? 100 miles from Houston with no gaming store is either Mexico, the middle of the Gulf, or space.
>>
>>47774474
IIRC, Ouchies has a short series of BT tutorial vids on youtube as well.
>>
>>47769961
The assault on Ft. Bourgoine in the Big Mac scenario book is exactly what you want. And that sort of fortification does seem to be the kind of heavy base built during the 3rd war when there were no SLDF facilities to repurpose and you weren't a capital world.

>>47771073
>orbital guns from Mech Commander are functionally impossible.
This is actually one of the best uses for the subcap lasers. They can tag targets in orbit from the ground. And their weight and such don't mean shit on fixed fortifications.
>>
>>47774528
Maybe Galveston? Can't be Beaumont as there is a game store there AND they stock Battletech. Or at least they still did when I passed through back in 2013.
>>
>>47774715
Only thing I can find in Galveston is a board game shop (sounds comfy actually), but that's it, yeah. I found stuff in most other decent sized towns near Houston, so probably that.
>>
>>47774691
>This is actually one of the best uses for the subcap lasers. They can tag targets in orbit from the ground. And their weight and such don't mean shit on fixed fortifications.
Right, but the ones from MechCommander were mobile and only slightly larger than two Mechs. So while you can build fixed bases, you lose the fun of mobile subcap laser cannons.
>>
>>47774915
You can mount them on mobile structures too. The Rattler II mounts them and it wouldn't be tough to fab up something much smaller and more reasonable for mobile laser spam.

Seems most of the states prefer missile satts and aerospace for space defense though.
>>
>>47774691
Oh man, the Big MAC. I've never cared much for the CapCon as a whole, but they've long been one of my favorite mercenary units. That scenario book is kick-ass, too. I actually kinda want to replay some of those scenarios in megamek, now
>>
>>47775131

The Big Mac are one of the reasons I enjoy the Confederation.

They were willing to stick it out with the Confederation after the Fourth Succession War and were rewarded for it.

Plus as I learned, their leader Archibald was quite the businessman and had no great love for the Davions.
>>
So what might happen if they put a Star Colonel in charge of a restaurant?
>>
>>47776516
Call it Bargained and Well Done.
>>
>>47776516
You could pay for your meal, or fight the chef in a Trial Of Possession to try and get it for free
>>
>>47776516
>So what might happen if they put a Star Colonel in charge of a restaurant?
Anniversary dinners are right out, that's for sure
>>
>>47774528
I'm smack in the middle between Houston, Corpus, and San Antonio. There's a local shop here that's opened and closed throughout the years, right now it only carries MTG and retro video games.

When I used to play Warhammer, I'd drive to Sugarland about once a month to find a game, but I just hated traveling all that way to play a couple of matches in a GW store.

>>47774615
I'll check these out, hopefully I can learn a thing or two.
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 500x647
>>
>>47777681
>smack in the middle between Houston, Corpus, and San Antonio
Fuck, seriously? You're in the deadland. I lived in Dallas for awhile and saw most of Texas, and holy shit, you are screwed, anon. My sympathies, try to get an airlift to anywhere else.

Ouchies Batreps are pretty enjoyable btw, you can learn a lot from that guy.
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (383 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
383 KB, 1500x1000
>>47769991
>>47771073
>>47771966

I only brought up fixed defenses because of the common assumptions of Battletech warfare seem to leave room for them( ie there are very few WarShips, most planetary attacks do not involve WarShips, Aerospace assets are much more expensive than AAA assets, and attackers have better equipment and better pilots than the defending militia). If you've got an enemy WarShip in orbit and you don't have swarms of Aerospace fighters, there's nothing you can do to prevent loosing badly. If they don't have a WarShip, then some quality time with a bulldozer could make the massacring of the local militia somewhat more lengthy. If the militia doesn't have a dozen AC-2s covering their base they deserve to be bombed back to the 3rd SW. It hardly matters that the raiders have Clan-tech weapons and <3 gunnery if hot dropping inside the walls means low TMMs & combat at 4 hexes or less (climb into a bathroom stall with Hertzers and expect to get sh** on).
>>
>>47775765
Why couldn't the Big Mac have been honourable and defected like the Northwind Highlanders?
>>
File: 1441405858394.jpg (24 KB, 202x181) Image search: [Google]
1441405858394.jpg
24 KB, 202x181
>>47776726
10/10
>>
>>47778021
The problem is artillery. Not very useful against mechs in the field (guided munitions excepted), but if you decide to hole up somewhere, you make it very easy for the attackers to decide that it's howitzer o'clock and pound you into the ground
>>
>>47769773

So that's what a Lyran traffic rush must be like then.
>>
>>47774973
Large support vehicles can mount them too, though the weights mainly restrict you to large naval vessels I beleive. A big sub probably would be one of the best platforms, if only because it can be easy to hide from orbital eyes until the last moment.

Mobile structures can actually mount full scale capital guns as well, though this means it would have to be pretty big.

>>47778021
>It hardly matters that the raiders have Clan-tech weapons and <3 gunnery if hot dropping inside the walls means low TMMs & combat at 4 hexes or less (climb into a bathroom stall with Hertzers and expect to get sh** on).

And the Hetzers can expect to get stepped on. Vehicles do not like extreme close combat. Remember, mechs can share hexes with vehicles and kick the shit out of them, and the vehicles can't do a goddamn thing to retaliate. And something slow as Hetzers aren't going to be able to get away easily at that point. And if there's BA they're right fucked, and TAG spotters for homing Arrow IV missiles love stuff that doesn't move much.

For all it's peculiarities, BT is still a setting of mechanized combat, so long term fortification is still of limited value. Especially when jump jets are a thing.
>>
File: Zeljava.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Zeljava.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
>>47778021

Fixed defenses being bypassed is a story older than history. With FASA-nomics it's impossible to defend everything you've got on a planet, even ones as ridiculously centralized as BT's are. Fortifications are for places you have to defend and that you know the enemy will want (starport, mech factory, rail yard, usurper's palace). Something is only worth defending if you are willing to put 2 companies of vees and supporting infantry on it. If it isn't worth that than why bother defending it all since they'll be rolled over by a Leopards worth of mechs, just let it go (or booby trap that booty). If what you're defending can't be moved or hidden, then why not use some combination of water, rough terrain and physical obstacles to restrict enemy movement around it and construct fighting positions to maximize the value of your defenders. Artillery can harass enemies outside of your bases assuming you've got spotters and you'll want spotters since indirect fire arty can be protected by LOS blocking walls or pits from ERPPC sharpshooters.

"Build WALL!" is by no means an infallible plan but by shaping the battlefield strikes me as a cheap way to stick it to those space gallivanting no-good-niks who won't get off your lawn.
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 500x800
Buying? 15 dollars a set
>>
>>47778853
link?
>>
File: purple bird kimi wa.png (61 KB, 331x507) Image search: [Google]
purple bird kimi wa.png
61 KB, 331x507
Which one of you is responsible for this?
>>
>>47779016

It'd be interesting if someone showed up to a game carrying some of those in a Crown Royal Bag.
>>
>>47779016
We already talked about how crap they are.
>>
File: Sun-Tzu_Liao.jpg (30 KB, 331x418) Image search: [Google]
Sun-Tzu_Liao.jpg
30 KB, 331x418
After reading some of the BT novels, I'm actually sympathetic to Sun-Tzu now. Reading how he's given the Stackpole treatment it feels just to know he later craps on most of the other major IS characters.
>>
>>47779087

He is definitely one of the more interesting leaders in the Inner Sphere.

Especially given the situation he inherited.
>>
>>47778952
Battlecorps, better wait for a reliable store
>>
>>47779215
yah, no kidding. I'll keep my eyes open
>>
File: I_heart_Charlie.jpg (58 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
I_heart_Charlie.jpg
58 KB, 380x380
>>47778673

TAG+ArrowIV is going to wreck face versus militia no matter what ie the guy who brings a real military wins. As for vees getting kicked around like it's the World Cup, is there a rule preventing vees from shooting a mech not in their hex when there is a mech in theirs, because the vees should be covering their platoon-mates. Ideally, the defender would have mechs to bring to the hex-stack battle but poor militia is poor so likely the best you get is a range 0 infantry platoon. BT infantry (& BA too) are generally worthless because they are slow and short-ranged. Bringing the enemy into a close quarters battle inside a fort reduces those drawbacks measurably.
>>
Have you ever used nuclear weapons in your games, /btg/?
>>
>>47781149
No, despite owning a beautifully painted Great Turtle to bomb. Life is suffering.
>>
File: KURITA.jpg (6 KB, 330x152) Image search: [Google]
KURITA.jpg
6 KB, 330x152
Samurai Dragon, best Dragon
Kentares IV best day of my life!
because without faction-posting \btg\ is dead
>>
>>47781149
I've used them as plot points in campaigns a few times, but never on the table; never been a especial fan of the jihad or any of the other 'loltotalwar' eras.
Hell, I don't even detonate them much as plot points, more using them as a "destroy the nuke before they set it off/track the nuclear arms shipment" kinda plot point, mostly, which is probably somewhat ironic considering my preferred factions
>>
>>47781504
>which is probably somewhat ironic considering my preferred factions

Which are?
>>
>>47782201
Well, it's a double-tap, hilariously enough. My primary faction is the bulls, and though I only play FWL occasionally, my preferred unit is the first Regulan Hussars. So two of the groups who went the most nuke-crazed in the jihad (my other main faction is the FedSuns, but I don't think they were much more nuke-crazed than anyone else in the jihad)
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (231 KB, 1396x1092) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
231 KB, 1396x1092
Anyone know where to get more of these or what they are? I bought them in a lot on ebay and need a couple more.
>>
>>47782770
Ones on the right look like elementals, which you can get tons of from IWM. Not 100% on the ones on the left
>>
>>47781149
The obvious answer here applies. Overall, they're not really that fun, except as a board clearing device. Except for testing a design for the TRO, they're used a lot like another obstacle (Your scout company just got nuked by a trigger happy RWA officer, find a way to flank his targeting zones and neutralize the battery), or like how StarCraft opens a mission where you start to build a base by wiping out whatever enemy faction has a base in that spot. Unless it's a Castle Brian attack, I don't really let my players use them, but that's just because it can seriously bog down a game.
>>
>>47782770
The ones on the left are the old BT standard infantry. I think Ral Partha sold them in Davion and Kurita flavors.Couldn't tell you if IWM still sells them.
>>
File: 552px-Free_Rasalhague_Republic.jpg (62 KB, 552x600) Image search: [Google]
552px-Free_Rasalhague_Republic.jpg
62 KB, 552x600
If I wanted to play a Rasalhague anti-clan rebel unit in the modern era what mechs (if any) and vehicles might they field? Old stuff from the FRR RAT and stolen Ghost Bear stuff? Did motstånd ever use mechs?
>>
>>47784370

A: What era is "modern" for you, and

B: If you mean the 3140-ish time frame, resistance to the Ghost Bears has literally been reduced to spray-painting vandals, so... have fun with that.
>>
File: 1457141046322.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457141046322.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
What are the mercenary commands most traditionally associated with the Lyran Commonwealth? Aside from the Kell Hounds and GDL.
>>
>>47785208
Able's Aces were once upon a time LC mercs, before they moved to the periphery.
>>
>>47785258
Actually, I mixed that up a bit. They were Fedcom mercs. (One of the minor characters I think had been an Elsie before he retired)
>>
>>47785208
Hansen's Roughriders and Mobile Fire off the top of my head
>>
>>47785208
I'll add Cranston/Rhonda Snord's Irregulars and the Grave Walkers.
>>
>>47785896
Looking at the military powerhouses in the IS during the Clan invasion era, which ones would be most (and least) likely to use combined forces of 'mechs and vees?
>>
>>47787631
Feddies the most.
Dracs, hands down, are the least.
>>
>>47787760
>>47787631
Didn't the Cappies mix mechs and vees?
>>
>>47788165
If you mean the Augmented Lances, those came after Bulldog. The Feddies have been using RCTs for a long time, which is the sort of combined arms I took the question to regard. Free Worlders also have a long history of combined arms IIRC, and the Lyrans more recently adopted RCTs.
>>
>>47788165
They're not exactly a military powerhouse at that point though.
>>
There was a thread ages ago (I think) where some anon posted the shenanigans of some batshit insane Battletech fan community that apparently makes outrageously hilarious campaigns and AAR:s and shit, evidently becoming even crazier as time goes by.

I had to go to work and forgot all about it until today. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did I dream this shit up?
>>
>>47788456
I remember them to. They were a local group from somewhere in the midwest. I think maybe cleveland or KC?
>>
>>47788456
Do you mean Team Cincy?

>http://forums.cincybattletech.com/
>>
>>47789254

Ah, yes. Cincy. The worst thing to happen to Battletech, including Porchbux. It's too bad we can't get an insane gunman into one of their games.
>>
>>47789501
Can't mention it without conjuring up our resident shithead, whereupon the second resident shithead and/or samefag will pop up saying "I have an unreasonable hate for Cincy too!" Whereupon which people will defend Cincy and denounce you for a shithead. There, your you has been supplied for another day.
>>
>>47789566
>whereupon the second resident shithead and/or samefag
I can 99% assure you that it's samefagging, like the anti-taurian shitposter
>>
>>47789501
Oh yes, the group that exemplifies fun, teamwork, and competency in battletech is the worst thing.

Please, tell me more of your wrong opinions.
>>
>>47789639
>Oh yes, the group that exemplifies fun, teamwork, and competency in battletech is the worst thing.

It is, because it gives unrealistic expectations for everyone else. The best thing for cincy to do would be to call it a career and everyone involved never play Battletech again.
>>
File: buddhism.png (118 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
buddhism.png
118 KB, 350x350
>>47789501

You seem upset. Would you like to talk about it?
>>
File: 1462351264467.jpg (119 KB, 839x835) Image search: [Google]
1462351264467.jpg
119 KB, 839x835
>>47778349
>but if you decide to hole up somewhere, you make it very easy for the attackers to decide that it's howitzer o'clock and pound you into the ground

This. One of the guys I play against is very good at hiding big snipey units like Stone Rhinos. I read up on the indirect fire rules/spotting, and brought along a single Ferret for 50bv spotting for a healthy number of Sniper field artillery pieces.

"On my command - UNLEASH HELL"
>>
>>47789910
Yeah. A guy I used to play with was big into Liao stealth cheesemechs (like that goddamn pillager), and artillery was basically the only way to deal with those assholes once they're in heavy woods
>>
>>47790159
>and artillery was basically the only way to deal with those assholes once they're in heavy woods

Oh, man, I can see how that went down.

"I'm about to go Alfred on your ass."

"What?"

"The *entire* forest."
>>
>>47790159

What about airstrikes? Does stealth help against strikes and bombing runs?
>>
File: angry victor St James.jpg (231 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
angry victor St James.jpg
231 KB, 800x680
>>47789910
>>47790159
Only one spotter? You need a lot more than that for Stone Rhinos, fuckers have LPLs. That said, the St. James, fire rules, and reducing terrain are all good counters to woods-parking faggots. So is aerospace, and they can't bitch about that not being in the core rulebook.

It's almost like there was a reason arty and fire were in the 4e Master Rules..
>>
>>47790264
Airstrikes work just fine, but I prefer artillery on account of it doesn't take lawndart rolls every time it shoots if the other side has thought to bring a single LPL or LBX.
>>
>>47790278
>Only one spotter? You need a lot more than that for Stone Rhinos, fuckers have LPLs.

Only if you're not playing on a 50x50 map; I just park the Ferret in a corner and climb to altitude 20 or something.
>>
File: Rifleman-3N Mwo.gif (3 KB, 84x72) Image search: [Google]
Rifleman-3N Mwo.gif
3 KB, 84x72
for your MegaMek.exe pleasure.
>>
File: Warhammer WHM-6R.gif (3 KB, 84x72) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer WHM-6R.gif
3 KB, 84x72
>>47791036
>>
File: 1372648982162.jpg (115 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1372648982162.jpg
115 KB, 600x600
>>47790766
>on a 50x50
Well, at that point you're looking at a 2-3 turn ToT, and pretty bad deviation. I personally like pre-plotting the "best" hexes in advance, dropping a stick of napalm into the other woods on the table from something like a cheap Thrush, and then vigorously applying fast backstabbers as required, but it does get old after a while.
>>
File: Marauder MAD-3R.gif (3 KB, 84x72) Image search: [Google]
Marauder MAD-3R.gif
3 KB, 84x72
>>47791048
>>
Any /btg/ anons attending Origins this year? I'm hitting the Feature Event table all weekend, it's the Battle of Tamar during the Clan Invasion, so it's time to lose copious numbers of assault mechs in a desperate attempt to hold the line against Clan Wolf.
>>
>>47785208

Storm's Metal Thunder when they were still around.
>>
>>47791060

Oh, it was on-map artillery. I had some... "surprises" waiting for him if he decided to rush.

V-V-V-IBRABOMBS
>>
File: kyuubey sweat.png (118 KB, 426x301) Image search: [Google]
kyuubey sweat.png
118 KB, 426x301
>>47791060
>and then vigorously applying fast backstabbers as required, but it does get old after a while.

True, that. The main thing I wanted to do was explore the utility of artillery in Battletech more; I've always loved the combined-arms thing in Battletech and I've always felt that artillery has gotten a bum rap sometimes just because it's not as horrifically dominant as it can be in real life. It's hard to say "artillery is fine for this" when so, so many problems can be solved by a few thousand BV worth of Wraiths (oh yes, Wraiths,) but it really does work great.

One thing I like artillery for? Kiting clanners. Lay down a smokescreen halfway between you and the enemy; it lets you close the range without getting your asses shot off.
>>
>>47774474

Run it as an RPG. One mech for each of your mates, a couple for you.
>>
>>47791580
>Run it as an RPG. One mech for each of your mates, a couple for you.

Not only is there an RPG for this, but MegaMek explicitly supports the RPG rules as they apply to pilots (edge points, separate skill for artillery, etc,) just to facilitate this.
>>
I'm trying to put together a 3025-era all-tank mercenary unit who specialize in mech-fighting. Any suggestions as to good vehicles for such a unit?
>>
>>47791916
Preferably a combination of 1) fast scouts (hovercraft like Harassers and Packrats), 2) long-range hitters such as Schreck and Partisan (four AC/5s are not something to sneeze at) and 3) close-up killers like the Demolisher. These should cover most situations. Also you shouldn't disregard LRM and SRM carriers. Both are murderous in proper situations.
>>
How viable would a Battletech roleplay campaign be where the characters start out as some crappy merc regiment and end up running their own vest pocket principality? What timeframe(s) would you suggest for this?
>>
>>47791916
Derp, forgot to type "non-hovercraft" before the Packrats, and add Skulkers to that too. I still wish there was a proper tracked scout vehicle instead of repurposing el cheapo tanks for that purpose.
>>
File: 1462153181967.gif (4 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1462153181967.gif
4 MB, 400x400
>>47791916
>Any suggestions as to good vehicles for such a unit?

Hide in cities and kool-aid man through walls to ambush enemies from behind. You know you want to.
>>
File: AC2 carrier.jpg (88 KB, 939x629) Image search: [Google]
AC2 carrier.jpg
88 KB, 939x629
>>47791523
>Oh, it was on-map artillery. I had some... "surprises" waiting for him if he decided to rush.
Yeah, but the 16hx/turn ToT limit still applies to on-board arty, at least the last time I checked. (speaking of rules they need to overhaul - I'd LOVE to see them bump that up to 2-3 boards/turn instead. And make bearings-launched LRMs a thing if they go over 16hx. But anyway..)

>>47791576
>I've always felt that artillery has gotten a bum rap sometimes just because it's not as horrifically dominant as it can be in real life.
Trust me, speaking as someone who's used it a lot, and in more than one edition.. arty is love, arty is life. Especially now with the arty cannons neutralizing some of the most annoying shit in the game and the tarcomp overhaul fixing a lot more of it.

>>47791916
>I'm trying to put together a 3025-era all-tank mercenary unit who specialize in mech-fighting. Any suggestions as to good vehicles for such a unit?

Indirect fire "get the fuck out of the woods" company: Long Tom train, or a few Snipers. LRM carriers. Hunters are acceptable but lack the turrets. You can also use a Saladin or five as your "out of the fucking woods" guys, since nothing says ohshit he is in my behind like a Salad Shooter team with a couple Harassers on flanking duty

"Fuck you, you have to close" company: More LRMCs. Schrecks, Manticores, plus a couple of Partisans, AC2-carriers (a lot of people forget they exist), or Pikes for AA support.

"Fuck you for closing" company: Demolishers, Hetzers, SRM carriers, etc.

Spotters/FYFC: Pegasus, Harassers, J Edgars, Ferrets, etc. Basically, fast shit with a secondary combat role.

Some things I've found particularly helpful:
Strikers are decent, cheap all-rounders for filling out a lance.
ACs/20. Nothing, but nothing, makes a 'Mech shit the bed in 3025 faster than the Mechbuster cannon.
If you're going to do IDF, do a LOT of it. Saturate the fucker.
>>
>>47791916
You want to build around a core of tough heavy MBTs. My personal recommendations are Brutuses, Von Luckners and Manticores (five years later and I'd add the Rommel, too). Then you want to add long-range blasting capacity. My preference for this purpose is lances of three Schreks, a Partisan (mostly for air cover, but also direct fire) and two Ontoses (preferably SFE, but basic models also work) or Demolishers to play bodyguard. You can always sub LRM carriers for the schreks, but personally I like the PPCs better. You then want fast-attack guys, my preference is for salad-shooters and drillsons in this role.
Then, of course, for urban use, lances of SRM carriers and demolishers.
If artillery is a thing, being lots of that (like a tube per tank if possible) and cheap VTOLs to spot for it
>>
>>47791576

>it's not as horrifically dominant

Apparently it's quite common with House Liao.
>>
>>47792333
>Apparently it's quite common with House Liao.
Well, arrow IV is, and it is employed in a way that is very different from other artillery
>>
>>47792333

It's also common with the Horses Clan as I recall them favoring conventional forces instead of mechs all the time.
>>
Lance of Atlases or Lance of Highlanders for an Assault Lance?
>>
>>47793542
Highlanders
>>
>>47793542
Lance of Annihilators.
>>
>>47793542

There can only be one.
>>
>>47793542
Highlanders. Give them all improved JJs and pump up those piloting scores
>>
>>47792333
Davions were the ones with a battalion of dedicated tube artillery in every RCT back in the day. It was the biggest operational grouping of artillery I can remember in the old days.
>>
>>47792199
>Ignoring the 3025 Lyran tonks
>>
File: 1446413314044.jpg (47 KB, 401x640) Image search: [Google]
1446413314044.jpg
47 KB, 401x640
>>47793903
He said mercs, I figured new and high-end shit was probably not what he was looking for.

>>47793542
Highlanders are more mobile and Atlases are tougher/more intimidating. I'd go with the HGNs, but I'd rather have a BLK or a couple Guillotines backing two of them up than four HGNs.

Now, if you're tlaking about what to BUY, go all atlas all the time, because you can get sixteen plastic 'Mechs for the price of four metal Highlanders
>>
File: Awesome AWS-8Q.gif (3 KB, 84x72) Image search: [Google]
Awesome AWS-8Q.gif
3 KB, 84x72
>>47792083

I'm fond of late 3030-3040s to get that delicious tech ramp up and a decade to make some dosh before the Clan invasion, and then get rich or die trying. Perfect tech progression, tons of plot hooks, great excitement. Just emulate Battle Magic, the coolest nerds ever. If you make it to the Jihad, you are almost guaranteed to go out out in a wealthy blaze of glory.
>>
>>47794058
>Now, if you're tlaking about what to BUY, go all atlas all the time, because you can get sixteen plastic 'Mechs for the price of four metal Highlanders
But, you won't be able to get the amazing new Highlander sculpt (which has two variants being released at Origins tomorrow, by the way, the -734 and the -738). That sculpt makes it worth the cost, IMO.
>>
File: Dragon - Cockpit breach.jpg (44 KB, 481x320) Image search: [Google]
Dragon - Cockpit breach.jpg
44 KB, 481x320
>>47792083
I'd suggest the early FCCW. The Chaos March is damned near perfect for that kind of campaign, and so is the NCR region. In either case you can get the MRBC and WoB's diddlin' hands into your shit, advanced tech is available but not necessarily super common, Clanners are going to be thin on the ground, and a company of mercs has a good chance of actually influencing politics in a meaningful way.
>>
File: tumblr_nuc8aqxKRX1sq41kno1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuc8aqxKRX1sq41kno1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>a company of mercs has a good chance of actually influencing politics in a meaningful way.
as it should be
>>
>>47792083
So you wanna pull an able's aces?
Periphery or chaos march circa 3058 is about perfect for what you want
>>
File: Metal_Urbie.jpg (229 KB, 752x859) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Urbie.jpg
229 KB, 752x859
>>47794231
>Boss, Anette Leyland is planning to nuke New Avalon, and you're the only one that can stop her
>>
File: 1418595907327.jpg (54 KB, 601x469) Image search: [Google]
1418595907327.jpg
54 KB, 601x469
>>47794465
>Boss, Anette Leyland is planning to nuke New Avalon, and you're the only one that can stop her
But why would I?
>>
>>47793542
Mackies
>>
>>47794081
>>47794126
>>47794247
Appreciate the thoughts, gents. Thanks.
>>
>>47795716
Start the game 3048 in Northern Periphery and the go full CLAN JADE FALCON on them in a year and see your players shit bricks
>>
>>47796420
Tempting, but maaaybe for their next outing.
>>
File: Dragon DRG-1N.gif (3 KB, 84x72) Image search: [Google]
Dragon DRG-1N.gif
3 KB, 84x72
Mods are asleep, post thick Mechs
>>
File: dragon_by_brotherostavia.jpg (591 KB, 1003x1080) Image search: [Google]
dragon_by_brotherostavia.jpg
591 KB, 1003x1080
None more thick.
>>
File: DragonSketches.jpg (753 KB, 1872x1200) Image search: [Google]
DragonSketches.jpg
753 KB, 1872x1200
Hips for days.
>>
>>47797878
Where'd you get these?
>>
Battlebunp
Also, Mackie is best girl and I will fight all of you
>>
>>47799482
>girl
>with THAT laser positioning

Son, I got bad news for you.
>>
>>47784698
Had to leave after posting yesterday but thanks for the response. And yeah, I was thinking of a hypthetical scenerio in the 3140s. Have the writers fucked Rasalhague so much that armed resistance to the clan is totally unfeasible?
>>
>>47799753
They eventually made a total merger.

>http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rasalhague_Dominion
>>
>>47799753

>Have the writers fucked Rasalhague so much that armed resistance to the clan is totally unfeasible?

Pretty much.

The Ghost Bears are just soooooo dreamy, you know?

Slightly less sarcastically, the writers occasionally remember that Rasalhague's big thing is fiercely resisting foreign invaders and payslip service to this in the fluff of insurgencies that don't achieve anything.

But by the Dark Age the Bears ship their sink unit to Vegas along with as many other problem children as they can, and it turns out the Bears' most ill-fitting members are super hardcore fans of the Clan and the worst acts of defiance resistance movement members are capable of amounts to spray-painting "FREE YOUR MINDS" (or something like that) on a wall. It is implied that this movement has authentic Kerensky writing that could revolutionise the Caste system, but CGL has completely dropped that plotline and Omega Galaxy are even more pro-Bear than ever.

A resistance unit with rifles and home-made bombs is always plausible enough. Combat vehicles in the DA are more difficult to get a hold of but not completely unavailable; still, a stolen APC of some kind is reasonable, especially if it's an ICE one since Fusion-powered vehicles can be passively and easily detected by orbital sensors. Anything more than that I dunno, I guess there's always the option of outside parties trying to shit stir and giving resistance movements some better hardware.
>>
>>47799806
>>47800114
Alright, not what I was hoping for but thanks for educating me.
>>
File: 3068 in the Inner Sphere.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
3068 in the Inner Sphere.webm
3 MB, 480x270
>>
>>47800114

>Vegas
>Payslip

Jesus Christ, autocorrect.
>>
File: Celestial Dragon.jpg (213 KB, 644x960) Image search: [Google]
Celestial Dragon.jpg
213 KB, 644x960
>>47797902
>Repostan my stats for that as an Assault
>>
>>47800985
Fat Dragon seems reasonable. I don't know why but I feel like it'd be a Drac Zeus-equivalent.
>>
>>47801464

>a Drac Zeus-equivalent.

That's the Hatamoto series, anon.
>>
File: Yeoman Modded.jpg (130 KB, 354x848) Image search: [Google]
Yeoman Modded.jpg
130 KB, 354x848
Playing an AtB game, ended up looting a Yeoman. In desperate need of mechs, after repairing a broken arm I ended up doing a quick field refit to this loadout.

Still a missile box, but now in mixed missile box flavour without having to try and get hold of MMLs

Good/Bad/Indifferent?
>>
>>47803403
That's one nasty short-ranged punch.

I like having a wolf or two amongst my sheep when it comes to my LRM line, so I would definitely use that sucker myself. Combine those SRM tubes with infernos and no BA squad will dare approach that mech.
>>
>>47803403
Can never have too many missiles, senpai
>>
>>47803403
I like it even if I'm not usually a fan of missile boats.
>>
>>47800141
>>47800114

>fluff of insurgencies that don't achieve anything.

Well it was one of the Combine-Dominion wars where a Mostand resistance group bombed a Ghost Bear compound and delayed an offensive into the Combine for some time while the Dominion officials were sorting out what was going on.

Apparently the Dominion has that problem sorted out, but it keeps rearing it's head constantly and is a major thorn in their side, which is reasonable given quite a few of them were apparently in the Rasalhague military at one point.

Something else of note, I believe it was a Freeman or Drakon regiment that grew sick of the Ghost Bear influence at the beginning of the integration and turned traitor before being destroyed by a fellow unit.
>>
Is there a way to make something like the Aigaion from Ace Combat 6 in Battletech using a heavy aerodyne DropShip? Or is there no canon way to allow an airborne DropShip to launch and recover fighters?
>>
>>47805445
There's one short story where Rasalhagians betray some anti-Bear rebels and monologue about how the Republic is better off annexed by the Bears. It's pretty funny
>>
>>47803538
>>47805145
>>47805312

Well, it's seen a few battles now and when not falling over on pavement or neutered due to storms, it's been pretty good.
Have managed to loot a few C3i computers from fightan the wobblies, I'm thinking it might be worth rigging up a few mechs with them including the Yeoman.

Not sure how to make best use of them though except that I should have a nice mixed weight/speed lance, probably?

Will have to find time to refit after all these damned counter-attacks they're throwing at me (even with rate of that kinda thing dropped to 0.5)...
>>
What's everyone's favorite "B-list" merc unit? By which I mean guys who show up in the fluff a decent amount, but don't really DRIVE events in any real way.
My personal favorite is probably Greenberg's Godzillas, with Smithson's Chinese Bandits a close second
>>
>>47807814
I was sold on Greenburg's Godzillas by this.
>>
>>47807814
Do the Fighting Urukhai count?
>>
>>47805670

Airbourne units can launch other things. DropShips and ASFs are just one example, there are blimps that have a launch and landing bay for conventional fighters.
>>
>>47808569
This an advanced rule from one of the Operations books, I'm guessing?
>>
>>47808296
They're honestly more like C-list IMO. They were around for a while and weirdly big for such an obscure unit, but they never did much of anything except die as a Coleman plot device. Hell, they never even got a FMM entry
>>
>>47807963
Where is this masterpiece from?
I want to see more
>>
>>47807814
I've always liked the tooth of ymir. Just a good, solid mid-tier merc unit that could be fighting anyone and is disagreeable to nobody
>>
>>47808627
Nah bruh, it's buried in the Aerospace Movement section of TW.
>>
>>47808836

>such an obscure unit

I thought they were reknowned in the Federated Suns after the Fourth Succession War?

Hanse did hire them to raid Sian at one point, unless I have the wrong mercenary command.
>>
>>47809468
>Hanse did hire them to raid Sian at one point, unless I have the wrong mercenary command.
I'm about 90% sure that you do.
>>
>>47807716
Well if nothing else, the football is good, and you don't have to worry about being attacked by the japs.
>>
>>47808925
Only other pic I have, picked up from camospecs many years ago.
>>
>>47808925
CamoSpecs. But their current site layout is complete shit and they're not fixing it. It's offensively trying to be user friendly.
>>
>>47809624
The current layout is great, everything else is bad or simply don't work
>>
File: camospecs mercs.png (626 KB, 1678x704) Image search: [Google]
camospecs mercs.png
626 KB, 1678x704
>>47809760
Except instead of listing factions with their units all on one page, I've got to trawl through pages of units with a selection of miniatures. It's aggressively useless.
>>
So, what exactly are FASA-nomics? Do they have something to do with the strange density-reduction fetish apparently shared by the entire human race in the setting?
>>
>>47810504
Kinda, but not only that. Numbers in general are weird in BT universe. Population, weapons range and weight, production numbers, deployed forces, price... They don't make sense.

Instead of fixing the unfixable CGL just quantify things relatively every time they can
>>
>>47810504
FASAnomics is the handwave as to why say, for example, a dustball planet can't shit out a GDP to create dozens of XXL mechs each year. Or why the Houses are stretched to the breaking point to add 10-15 regiments inside of a decade. Or how Jumpships are still incredibly rare post Helm core because reasons. And so on.
>>
>>47810608
>>47810632

Like how industry will never recover from the succession wars, ever?
>>
>>47810632
>can't shit out a GDP to create dozens of XXL mechs each year

I'd expect it to be a lot higher than that.

Considering the amount of 'mech that I seem to get blown off just from winning, the components themselves can't be all that difficult to produce...
>>
>>47810652
That's a function of the phone company also actively suppressing your think tanks. Doctor Hans Schmottguy of the Lyran Commonwealth develops a new process for producing fusion engines, by using lighter, but bulkier techniques, then tells the Archon? HPG Headline in the next week: Doctor Schmottguy, scientist, found dead with a pineapple stuffed up his ass and a katana in the heart. And so on. ROM was scarily efficient.

>>47810685
>I'd expect it to be a lot higher than that.
I'm talking places like Trell I or Okefenokee, not mid tier dustballs.
>>
>>47810725
>with a pineapple stuffed up his ass and a katana in the heart

Why this? Why would you do it like THAT?
>>
>>47810652

Or maybe why fusion engines aren't used in industrial or commercial processes, despite needed almost no fuel and lasing for decades.
>>
>>47810807
The Pineapple is a FWL false flag, as is the katana for the Dracs, obviously. Two assassins tried to work him over, maybe?
>>
>>47810832

They are, but they're different and don't have an Engine Rating.

'Mech/ASF/Vee fusion engines are just extremely high-end applications of the technology. The general decline in fusion tech had effects in the civilian sector but were disproportionately effecting the combat applications because of LosTech.
>>
>>47810725
Out of curiosity since I missed the evil ComStar days of lore, who are some folks that ROM disappeared or assassinated? The only major ROM ops I can think of were the attack on the NAIS and the Sarna false flag.

Also if we ever got a Brush Wars 2 (which I know we won't) I'd love for Operation Scorpion to be included.
>>
>>47810903

AFAIK the only named targets are from the NAIS raid in the Warrior trilogy. Every other mention of Holy Shroud I can recall is just general "suppression of technology" and "suppression of research" stuff.

The only other somewhat detailed thing is the Vandenburg White Wings incident where ComStar forces blew up a WarShip the Taurians, Suns, and CapCon (IIRC) were competing to claim, not that it would have been much use to any of them at the time.
>>
>>47810903
>who are some folks that ROM disappeared or assassinated?
Inside or outside of ComStar? Some of their biggest kills were (hilariously enough) members of the First Circuit. As for Holy Shroud, the ComStar SB goes into detail about it, with an example in the Tharkad University Hayden Medical Research Building burning down because of ROM due to their extensive labs. Other than that, no real names.
>>
>>47810504
Basically, military and merchant fleet sizes make sense for a setting where the AVERAGE planetary population is about a million and self-sufficient for food. Unfortunately, this in turn makes very little sense when other important parts of the setting are described.
So basically, if you tried to change the setting to fit the economics or vise versa, you'd render the setting nearly unrecognizable
>>
>>47810504
>So, what exactly are FASA-nomics?
Stuff like the Lyran population numbering the hundreds of billions and nearing a trillion, yet their armed forces size being 15 million total.
>>
File: 1457118423948.jpg (104 KB, 1127x994) Image search: [Google]
1457118423948.jpg
104 KB, 1127x994
So what if Stone really isn't anyone's plant and he's just a regular guy who had amnesia and then fought the Word?

Or do you think they were originally going to go with Arthur Steiner-Davion being Stone? (Sword in the Stone/King Arthur?)
>>
>>47811399
>the AVERAGE planetary population is about a million and self-sufficient for food.

But almost any number of these planets would be practically irrelevant , economically speaking, compared to a single crown-world of 10+ billion people, unless they had some ultra-rare and highly demanded raw material.
>>
>>47811648
>So what if Stone really isn't anyone's plant and he's just a regular guy who had amnesia and then fought the Word?

It would still make him a faggot from Kittery. And nothing good ever came from Kittery.
>>
>>47811748
>And nothing good ever came from Kittery.

Has anything else ever come from Kittery?
>>
>>47811746
>compared to a single crown-world of 10+ billion people
There's a reason that I said average instead of mean. There WOULDN'T be any 10 billion person planets. Hell, there wouldn't be any ONE billion person worlds besides earth. That's the point
>>
>>47811783
Dan Allard was stationed there at the beginning of the Warrior Trilogy.
>>
There aren't any Liao-Davions out there are there?
>>
>>47811869
Shit, meant Justin.
>>
>>47811805
>There WOULDN'T be any 10 billion person planets.

Why, though? There was pretty signfigant migration from Terra near the beginning, and they've had centuries to grow since then.
>>
>>47811910
Plus longer lifespans, a need for manpower, plenty of genetics tech for clones and other speeding growth things.

Plenty of time and capability to steadily ship billions of people from Earth and distribute them in clumps of tens or hundreds of millions and then expand from there.
>>
>>47811910
>Why, though? There was pretty signfigant migration from Terra near the beginning, and they've had centuries to grow since then.
Exactly. This was why I was saying that the small populations that work with the military and trade aspects of the FASAnomics issue don't work very well with other fluff
>>
>>47811991
>plenty of genetics tech for clones and other speeding growth things.
Have we ever gotten any indication that those are things that were actually done in-setting?
>>
>>47812037
Well all that shit the Clans ended up relying on didn't come out of no-where. Though that'd just be using logic and this is battletech, can't think of a specific source right now though.
>>
>>47811991
>expand from there.

Right. A steady 1% annual growth rate (which seems pretty typical) would lead to population increasing 2.7 times its original value each century. A planet settled under the Terran Hegemony in 2300 with an initial population of 10 million people would, after 700 years of growth, have a population of about ten billion, assuming no major bottleneck events.
>>
>>47812096
>Though that'd just be using logic

Right. You'd assume that eliminating lot of congenial diseases and the like would be fairly straightforward based on what we see, and improving the genetic stock of a population would have enduring benefits even if it later got bitchslapped back to the industrial age by the Succession Wars.

In fact, how a lot of demographic trends tend to go, the Succession Wars may have caused a significant net increase in the human population.
>>
>>47811746
Economics aside, that's basically how it already is.

The only resource that is ever really fought over in BT is manufactured things and infrastructure, everything else is in plentiful. The nowhere planets are mainly just taken as stepping stones to the juicy prizes, and the simple fact of saying "I own it, It's mine!" because basically all BT's wars are just dick waving contests.
>>
>>47811648

>So what if Stone really isn't anyone's plant and he's just a regular guy who had amnesia and then fought the Word?

Then everything of interest in his plotline vanishes.

If he's exactly what he seems to be then there's no point obfuscating his real identity IC or OOC, no alternative interpretation for his actions, etc.

I don't think Arthur was ever considered for Stone's role given the intended FASA plot for the Jihad where Victor tried to lead a coalition, failed, and the universe was saved by angry Ghost Bears. He always seems to have been set up for a high rank I the WoB, whereas Stone was a WizKids thing.
>>
What's the largest mercenary unit that you've seriously played in a campaign, tabletop or AtB? Tell us about it, /btg/
>>
>I've met both Bills and Coleman, I like them and think they are honorable guys

ahahahahahahaaa
>>
>>47813528
Who's this gem from?
>>
>>47778673
>Remember, mechs can share hexes with vehicles and kick the shit out of them,

Can't you stack multiple vees in a hex to avoid this?
>>
>>47809531
>>47809468
>mfw I misread this as "Hanse did sire them to raid Sian"
>>
>>47810807
You would prefer a katana up his bum and a pineapple in the heart?
>>
>>47813736
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53016.msg1223625#msg1223625
>>
>>47814097

It'd have been George Hasek if that were the case.
>>
>>47814097
Sun-tzu should have been a girl so victor could plow her
>>
>>47813950
Nope. 2 units per side per hex (not counting embarked units/BA hanging on the sides), 4 max per hex.
>>
>>47813950
You can put a mech in the same hex as a vee, to prevent the other guy from shoving his mech there.
>>
>>47813950
Nope.
Stacking limit in a hex is two units from each side, only one of which can be a mech. So two friendly vehicles can't stop an enemy mech. And that would also make two vehicles that can't shoot the mech, though it also means one vehicle the mech can't attack.

A vehicle's best friend for "Don't Tread on Me" status would probably be infantry either conventional or BA, since they just love when mechs walk into a hex with them, and also can deter any enemy infantry that want to enter the hex and attack the vehicle, which is often more dangerous than a mech.

Though with the Hetzer scenario specifically, the mechs' best bet when winning initiative would be to get right behind them and not on top of them, as no turret ona vehicle means the mech gets all the no retaliation from that target, while getting to sink weapons fire in the rear and still get to kick them.
>>
>>47815080
The ultimate defense is two hetzers next to each other pointing in opposite directions.
>>
>>47814222
And then with that and Omi, I see a FCCW fought not because Katherine, but due to angry nobles fearing Victor's yellow fever is going to put some mongrel Kurita or Liao baby on the throne one day and trying to replace him before that can happen.

The FS went to war with itself before over something like that, didn't it?
>>
File: 1460851711788.jpg (197 KB, 805x908) Image search: [Google]
1460851711788.jpg
197 KB, 805x908
>>47814222
>>47814097
My name is Hanse Davion, and I approve this message
>>
>>47815157
>The FS went to war with itself before over something like that, didn't it?

Davion War of Succession, happened a few decades before the true First Succession War.
>>
>>47815157
>And then with that and Omi, I see a FCCW fought not because Katherine, but due to angry nobles fearing Victor's yellow fever is going to put some mongrel Kurita or Liao baby on the throne one day and trying to replace him before that can happen.
And to make matters worse, katherine's kid isn't even a really viable choice, cause his name is Aleric and victor is rumored to be the father, so the nobles are in a real tight spot, since it's enemy or incest for heirs. It would even be DARK AGE enough for the current writers
>>
>>47815227
Burton Marik-Steiner-Davion swoops in to save the day
>>
>>47815315
Now I want to see a Gary Stu character who somehow has blood relation to every fucking Great House.
>>
>>47815340
If hanse davion's master plan had worked, we'd have seen that by the second generation
>>
Victor's kids with Isis Marik and Omi Kurita all simply vanished.

By the DA that's plenty of time for them to have grown up, had kids, and had those kids to fuck their cousins, producing spawn with ties to everybody but the Liaos. Have one come in and knock up Danai Liao-Centrella, and now that's all the houses and periphery realm to boot!
>>
File: kaio-kek.jpg (29 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
kaio-kek.jpg
29 KB, 292x257
>>47815448
>>
And then, the day will come, when the Steiner-Davion-Kurita-Marik-Liao-Centrella-Calderon-Avellar-O'Reilly-Kerensky-Blake-Amaris waifu exits.

And then the long foretold lost Cameron heir will appear, and a new Star League will be born, including in a biological sense. Because they would just make the resulting kid's last name Starleague, if only for brevity's sake.
>>
>>47812710
This page from the last Jihad sourcebook more or less confirms that Stone wasn't created intentionally by the blakists, although later speculation in the book has him as a midlevel blakist who got on their bad side and sent for re-education to Kittery.
>>
File: 1457254768346.jpg (47 KB, 259x294) Image search: [Google]
1457254768346.jpg
47 KB, 259x294
>>47815719
PRAISE BLAKE!
>>
>>47815689

You do know there is cannon rumor suggesting Hanse is Sun Tzu's father?
>>
>>47815448
See, if I was hanse, I'd have had victor do exactly what he did, and then married kitty and yvonne off to Kai (he has a legitimate claim to the St.Ives AND general laio throne, if sunny t bites it) and jeff calderon (to firm up that border and laugh in the face of the so-called trinity alliance) in whichever configuration, and then gone full crusader kings with the second generation. Also, I'd get peter to somehow marry into the FRR, just for completenesses sake.
That, and I'd get George Hasek's kid to marry into the Avellars, just to make things easier
>>
Few questions for You guys, hope you could help:
Let's say I have succesfully tagged a target. An allied unit fires its semi guided LRMs indirectly at the tagged target.
Which of the following modifiers would or wouldnt apply:
-smoke
-stealth/mimetic armor, chameleon lps, void ss, null ss?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>47815834
>gone full crusader kings

I missed the part where you were intentionally breeding retarded offspring to marry off to your allies so you can more easily betray their descendants.
>>
>>47815834

>Taurians
>Ally with theFedSuns

kek. no.
>>
>>47816745
Battletech 4X grand strategy game when
>>
>>47816858

When the computer game rights are unfucked (never) or when someone makes a mod (could maybe happen some time).
>>
>>47816939
Someone started working on one for EU a while back, but it died
>>
>>47815834
George Hasek's kids were a trip. That character's life was suffering, too. I think the writers forgot he was already married and had a son when they wrote his FCCW stuff, so then in HBHD they had to go back and retcon things to have it make sense in context. Then ole Porchbux got his claws into George for the Jihad and things only went downhill for the guy.
>>
So I'm trying to get into Alpha Strike.
Two things:
- Is the game much faster in "Lance vs. Lance" games? How faster?
- In the master unit list, where do I see a unit Special stuff? I have the quickstrike sheets so I can use the introductory mechs, but I really need the special entries for other units as well. If they are not on that website, where do I find it?

Thank you.
>>
>>47813320
I've ran a sub battalion in ATB with a reinforced mech company and a tank company and of course the support and logistics for both (they rode around in an excalibur), but that's about as big as I would want to manage due to how much work it is to keep track of everything as well as particularly successful merc companies entering mary sue territory.
>>
>>47791916
Actually played a game with a guy who ran an all tank Lance in 3250 in a 3v3 match. He had a behemoth (very slow, 1 shot light and 1 hit critical mediums) a demolisher, 2 scorpions for scouting and spotting for my Archer, and 2 Sherman's I think, they were some general use medium tank
>>
>>47819067
>3250

are we making some assumptions based on Free Taiw..., or is that supposed to be 3025?
>>
is it un-Drac to use a combined arms force? If not, what are some armor and aerospace options common to the Combine?
>>
>>47820490

Glorious nippon steel?
>>
>>47819067
Personally I don't like Behemoths, to me they are way too slow with their 3 movement points, that means any forest in the map will slow them down to 1 hex per turn speeds, and then you add how easy it is to score mobility hits on tanks and you end with rather expensive bunker. Von Luckners, Manticores and Demolishers are much more better antimech tanks.
>>
File: capcom.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
capcom.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>47816858
>>
>>47816939
>>47817039
I remember hearing that someone was planning to throw one together based on stellaris. Dunno how that's going
>>
Has anyone here run a merchant campaign in the battletech universe?
I want to try something new rather than yet another merc unit, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and/or suggestions
>>
>>47821432
What game?
>>
>>47820490
Drac ASFs are under the Navy, so you won't see them often with ground troops.
>>
Questions with organising Clan formations. Are there any trinary types besides command, assault, battle and striker? And how might you compose those formations? Would assault be its weight average or purely role? How do you organise your stars and binaries/trinaries?
>>
>>47823692
Depends on the Clan; some make more or less use of Supernova Trinaries, or will put together Stars with a more dramatic range of 'Mech weights.
>>
Can someone give me a good rundown on how clans work, and what their usual military deployment forces consist of?

Essentially, sell me on clans. Local group wants to do a story set right before clan invasion, and we're competing against each other.
>>
>>47824176
Read their books in the mediafire folders and their entries on Sarna. Not saying this to be all "LOL WE'RE NOT GONNA SPOONFEED YOU" but just saying, you can get all the research you need there.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.