[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about vampires being able to change into bats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: arthas.jpg (5 KB, 175x182) Image search: [Google]
arthas.jpg
5 KB, 175x182
How do you feel about vampires being able to change into bats and wolves and stuff?
Should vampires start to lose their minds or release their inner beast when they haven't fed in a while?
>>
>>47765379

>wolves

Is this a thing?
>>
>>47765379
>Should vampires start to lose their minds or release their inner beast when they haven't fed in a while?
Yes.
>wolves
Also fine, but animal-wolves, not werewolves.
>>
>>47765403
yup
>>
>>47765403
Yeah, original vampire power-set is pretty sweet.

- can turn into mist
- can turn into a bat (or sometimes a swarm of bats)
- can turn into a wolf
- abnormally strong
- hypnosis eyes
>>
>>47765403
fucking twilight ruined everything cool about vampires in the media.
>>
>>47765597
It may have been a nail in the coffin (hue) but you can't exactly say it was on an upward trend.
>>
>>47765379
I've always thought the 'can't go out in daylight' was a bit much. And seemed easily countered by wearing a big hat, unless daylight shadows are super powered some how.
>>
>>47765379
I've kind of grown to like the idea of Vampires having a few shared abilities, but otherwise each would get different stereotypical vampire effects.

Like they'd all need to drink blood, be immortal, and be vulnerable to sunlight, but one vampire might be able to turn into a bat, while another gets the ability to mind control people.

This might also expand to them having different weaknesses too, like some not being able to cross running water, or being repelled by garlic.

I think it helps things be a bit more sensible, and also lets you have more minor vampires be easier to handle, while vampire lords tend to be those who got really good abilities and know how to use them well.
>>
>>47765658
There's 50-100 times more light in the shade than outside at night.
>>
>>47765709
You can't get a tan in the shade.
>>
>>47765729
FFS anon read a book, even the Daily Fail can get that one right.
>>
>>47765658
In Dracula, the vampires could go out in the day it was just that they were weaker. The dying in the sunlight thing was from Nosferatu originally.
>>
>>47765658
>>47765822
Vampires simply losing their supernatural powers during the day seems like a nice take on it. Questionable if that also means they should be killable with normal means as well in that time, but it does give them a lot more freedom in how to operate.
>>
>>47765822

Folklore generally had the break of day turning them back into an inanimate corpse, though some traditions did say they could eventually learn to walk around in the daylight just fine.
>>
>>47765863

I always liked this interpretation
>>
>>47765941
Yep. Its also good to note that several of Dracula's powers were actually from him being a student of Scholomance (i.e. evil wizard school) rather than from being a just vampire.

Dracula wasn't just a vampire, he was a vampiric sorcerer nobleman.
>>
>>47765379
That depends - are they monsters the PCs are fighting, or are you doing it wrong?
>>
>>47765562
Eh, if by "original vampire power-set" you mean "Dracula power-set" he didn't turn into a wolf. He had a supernatural dominion over them, however, with romani in the countryside fearing wolves as his messengers and guardians of his castle. I don't believe he ever specifically turns into mist, but he does disappear quickly on misty nights, so there's an association there.
>>
>>47765379
some systems incorporate that already
>>
>>47765664
Twilight did that
>>
>>47766592
Fuck, really? Now I have to kill myself
>>
>>47766592
And Hitler liked dogs. Does that mean anyone who likes dogs is like Hitler?
>>
>>47766592
If you eat gold you can find some in your shit
>>
>>47766592
Twilight is far from the first thing to do that.
>>
>>47765379
The original Dracula could pull off stuff like that and more. Not to mention walking in the open during the day (albeit severely weakened).
>>
>>47766768
In that they both like dogs, yes
>>47768756
OG dracula was only "Weakened" in that he was brought down to normal human strength
>>
>>47768775
>OG dracula was only "Weakened" in that he was brought down to normal human strength
Yes, but still was quite the tough guy.
>>
>>47768795
UUUU
>>
>>47768801
Sorry, read Dracula a long time ago and don't remember certain elements.
>>
>>47765379
Read it all in Arthas' voice.
>>
>>47766253
No, he can also turn into a wolf.
>>
File: adolf_hitler_painting8.jpg (141 KB, 1076x981) Image search: [Google]
adolf_hitler_painting8.jpg
141 KB, 1076x981
>>47766768
Yes.
Fuck dogs. Fuck shitty artists too.
>>
Changing into a bat or mist is fine. I think the level of crazy you get from not feeding in awhile should just be slightly exaggerated "normal guy starving to death" crazy. So, still crazy, but not Full Malkav.
>>
>>47766253
Dracula turned into a wolf to escape the ship. He also coalesced from dust at least once, as did his brides. Lucy could pass through cracks in her crypt the breadth of a fingernail, which implies she could turn into mist or dust as well.
>>
File: 1459232316269.gif (980 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1459232316269.gif
980 KB, 450x253
>>47765379
>how do you feel about a fantasy creature doing fantasy things in a fantasy setting
>>
>>47770019
Not that anon, but actually I like Hitler's paintings.

If only he stayed in arts school...
>>
>>47770141
imagine how boring history would have been.
>>
>>47770141

An artist I knew said that his main issues as an artist were perspective and colours. They were not weird enough for the surrealists but not quite perfect enough for realism.
>>
>>47770152
Nah, it would be Red Alert.

>>47770153
Still I do like them.
>>
>>47765379
Why are vampires never associated with mosquitoes?
I mean, wouldn't that make a lot of sense?
>>
>>47770152
It's easy to want history to be exciting when you're not the one who has to live through it.
>>
>>47765863
So vampire is a human during a day?
Kinda like warewolfs are?

Pretty interesting
>>
>>47770199
Some African vampire-like creatures/spirits are. Mosquitoes aren't as much a part of European mythological consiousness. I did make a custom devotion for a Gangrel character once to give him a mosquito proboscis allowing him to feed without first grappling the target, but never got to use it due to the game falling apart.
>>
>>47770231
Some vampire myths, like the penangallan (sp?) work like that. Dracula still had his vampiric weaknesses, such as his inability to cross water, he just lost his superhuman strength and could only transform at dawn, noon, and dusk, then he'd be stuck in whatever form he took.
>>
File: varghulf.png (377 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
varghulf.png
377 KB, 650x366
No matter what setting, modern or fantasy, I want my vampires to be fucking monsters whether obviously or stealthily. Which is why I am very much onboard on both them changing forms and losing their mind when they start starving.
>>
>>47766592
World of Darkness did it first.
>>
>>47768810
I think he tried to banepost and missed a "4"
>>
>>47770655
He posted the U four times.
>>
>>47770655
Oh, that. On the other hand I really do not remember if Dracula was simply as strong as a normal human if he was in broad daylight, or has he additionally retained his supernatural toughness.
>>
>>47766144
>Yep. Its also good to note that several of Dracula's powers were actually from him being a student of Scholomance (i.e. evil wizard school) rather than from being a just vampire.
>Dracula wasn't just a vampire, he was a vampiric sorcerer nobleman.
Evil Wizard school TAUGHT BY SATAN HIMSELF you mean.

>>47770883
I vaguely recall he was supposed to "Only" be as strong as 10 men, but I may be mistaken.
>>
>>47770276
I don't remember anything in the book about times he could transform. It's true he didn't die in sunlight, but they never clearly lay down rules like that.
>>
>>47766253
with "original power set" he may mean the recordings from East-european sholars. These Vamps could do a whole lot of weird things.
>>
>>47770183
>it would be Red Alert.
Or that one game where some Chancellor dude did the Holocaust and Hitler became part of the German Resistance instead
>>
>>47772314
Which one? Now I'm curious.
>>
>>47771225
No, Van Helsing specifically says he is limited in the times he can transform. I reread the book a month ago. It comes up when they are attempting to destroy all his caskets in England, as well as when he is travelling by boat back to Transylvania.
>>
>>47766253
In the novel, he transforms into a wolf.
>>
>>47772473
Ah, interesting, must of missed that. Only read it for the first time earlier this year
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.