[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /tg/ feel about Matt Colville? In my opinion I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: matt colville.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
matt colville.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
How does /tg/ feel about Matt Colville? In my opinion I think he does some good videos for new players and DM's.
>>
>>47763827
He seems an okay chap. Very traditionalist, but a song as new players know that he seems harmless enough.
Also:singing.
>>
>>47763827
I got linked to his videos, ended up watching all of them.

I don't agree with all his DMing philosophy. I think partly cause he is pretty tradtionalist like >>47764031 mentions, but he's pretty good at telling newbies the basics and being good about "this is just what works for me, other ways work for other people, but I really can only recommend what works for me."
>>
pretty excellent
>>
>>47763827
Over all I really like him and his advice so here are the negatives:
1) His short advice videos are really annoyingly cut.
2) His first book is really good, but the second novel doesn't follow from it and is very difficult to read.
>>
>>47763827

Really love his stuff, been gobbling his content as it comes up.
>>
>>47763827
Awesome. Like his worldbuilding stuff and his short videos are interesting.
>>
>>47764031
>>47764643

traditionalist means?
>>
>>47763827
literally who
>>
>>47768150
Orcs are bad, adventurers plunder tombs and dungeons, go save the princess and slay the dragon

Very little depth to the game world, follows the old tropes. The traditional approach to storytelling (you good, they bad, go do good)
>>
>>47763827
>videos
He sounds like a fag.
>>
>>47763827
This guy seems to have his shit together, and definitely can convey an idea well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXMxiAGUWg
This video alone is gold
>>
>>47770935

seems like he suggests newer DM's start with the fundamentals

I dont think that is the sum of his own view
>>
Good guy, well spoken, and very knowledgeable of all the old school D&D stuff.

HOWEVER

He is way too nice as a DM, which isn't a bad thing if it works for you and your group, but that tends to skew his advise more into the "Fudge when necessary" camp. Not a fan of that, but I like his perspective on things.
>>
>>47772457
>seems like he suggests newer DM's start with the fundamentals
This guy knows how things work then.
more of a fan of "undead asshole want ultimate power, stop him brave adventures", mostly because it avoids the whole "orc noble savages" things.
Or make the orcs like warhammer orcs.
>>47763827
I will check him out when I can.
>>
>>47770935
I don't know anon, that's not what I got from what I saw. There is some of that, yes, but he does seem to have a heavy emphasis on intrigue and politics, so it's not entirely tradionalist in that sense of just going in and murderhoboing your way through. He has some old school sensibilities, so he should be at home in the OSR thread. He's videos are also aimed at new GMs and encouraging more people to take up GMing, so being a bit "traditional" is a good thing, since you don't want to be distracted with non-traditional issues that would get in the way of a new GM. Keep it simple. Master the fundamentals. It's a good message.
>>
>>47771463
Yeah, that one was really good.
>>
>>47763827
>>47771463
Is this all I need to do to get internet famous, /tg/? God knows I've always wanted to rant about games on YouTube.
>>
I like his videos. This is hands down the best youtube DnD (and DMing in general) introduction you can get.
>>
>>47774835
>internet famous
>less than 20k subscribers
riiiight
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.