[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you revitalize the vampire theme in general? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 33
How would you revitalize the vampire theme in general?

Is it even possible to create something memorable/original about them nowadays? Or has the popular media killed it?
>>
File: curious remi.png (116 KB, 525x550) Image search: [Google]
curious remi.png
116 KB, 525x550
There's nothing original anywhere, anon.

Do what I do: just make them cute.
>>
File: Legacy-of-Kain.jpg (74 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
Legacy-of-Kain.jpg
74 KB, 620x350
>>47759763
>>
There was this series on FX that was a twist on the vampire myth- I think del Toro helped write it or something. That wasn't too bad.
>>
>>47759798
Sorry, but the cute thing doesn't really work for me, Anon
>>
>>47759819
LoK sure is great and all, but it doesn't exactly revitalize the genre
>>
File: D Ship.jpg (38 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
D Ship.jpg
38 KB, 640x360
Personally I'd like to see more of the style of Vampire Hunter D. High Gothic horror with bits of high-tech stuff left around, now ancient but still impressive.
>>
>>47759849
Make vampires proper monsters, not just pale faggots and rapists.
>>
>>47759849
Probably because it's old as fuck.
>>
>>47759849
I dunno, the vampires in LoK have evolved past the 'pretty sparkles' they have in most media. They're constantly evolving to the point of the 'prodigal sons' of Kain being vastly different creatures.

Then there's the 'Ancient Vampires'. They were basically angels that were cursed by their enemies with immortality and the need to drink blood, which rather than make them more powerful; destroyed their civilization.
>>
>>47759941
I always liked the D vampires because they were more depressed scientists than anything else. Due to their age they knew about most of the lost technology but none of them really have the drive to do anything after seeing their civilization turn to dust around them.
>>
File: latest.jpg (21 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
21 KB, 1000x563
What did you guys think about Blood and Wine's take on vampires. Sure, it was pretty traditional and tame but it felt nice playing it
>>
File: Bloodsucker.jpg (40 KB, 620x698) Image search: [Google]
Bloodsucker.jpg
40 KB, 620x698
>>47759763
>>
>>47759820
The Strain?
Del Toro and one of his friends wrote a book trilogy on it, and then adapted it to TV series format, though it was always meant to be a TV series. IIRC they wrote the books first to prevent the producers from forcing them to stray too far from their vision for the series and keep rights on it 5ever, some shit of that kind.
Pretty good show too, imo.
>>
There's nothing wrong with them as is
>>
>>47760819
Did they ever explain the mutants in STALKER?
>>
>>47759763
In my setting Vampires aren't really monsters or anything. They're just like normal people who raise animals to drink blood and live in harmony with others.
>>
>>47760926
Lame.
>>
In my one campaign i'm writing vampirism is more a method to power, not really a curse or affliction or even a kind of monster.
>>
>>47760819
Hahaha!

Fuck that noise
>>
File: Game Master.jpg (79 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
Game Master.jpg
79 KB, 520x390
I'd give them something like the joy mutant twist from the LISA series.

If they act out long enough, their bodies will twist and change to match their behavior. Lazy vampires that lure their prey in will become bloated and sedentary to reflect their slothful habits. Those prone to ripping apart their victims in a frenzy might twist around and become much like a cross between a weasel and a tree, long talons and teeth whipping about in a whirlwind of slaughter. Reversing the process is impossible but those vampires that achieve a balance between their lingering humanity and their predatory instincts might becomes something more...
>>
>>47760892
Early catastrophic blow-outs+radiations.
>>
>>47760892
I don't think so, but I always preferred to think of them as living anomalies.
>>
>>47760957
If it makes you feel any better a bunch of radicals begin to purge them
>>
File: file.png (509 KB, 771x580) Image search: [Google]
file.png
509 KB, 771x580
>>47759763
>revitalize
Let's not reinvent the vampire. It's the reinvention that is the problem.
The most fun option, the way I see it, is to go back to the roots. I think there's a lot of fun sides to the vampire of the Polidori-Stoker period. It's not original, but I don't think originality is necessary to tell a good story.
But if you want originality, and there's good reasons why you'd want that, I'd also go back to the roots. Look at vampiric legends from other cultural spheres. Maybe mix it with revenant-creatures. Camazotz, haugbúi, obayifo are just some of the creatures you can look into.
>>
>>47759763
>How would you revitalize the vampire theme in general?
Try making the protagonist a girl who. inexplicably falls in love with a vampire really a good guy.
I don't think anybody's tried that yet.
Alternatively, git gud.

>Is it even possible to create something memorable/original about them nowadays?
>Is it even possible to create something memorable/original about anything nowadays?
Memorable? Absolutely.
Original? No, never. Why even worry about it? Just create good characters and follow where they lead you.

>Or has the popular media killed it?
Not quite. It's undead in more ways than one.
>>
>>47760980
>I accept pizza bribes
Never has a phrase in body me.
>>
>>47759820
The Strain.
And Del Toro wrote it and directed it. That's why the vampires there are so similar to the ones in his Blade 2 film; originally was pitched as a film version of The Strain.
>>
>>47759763
Tone down the sexy dark romance and lust, tone up the THESE GUYS ARE KILLING PEOPLE.

>>47759798
>Do what I do: just make them cute.

Are you zun?
>>
>>47761092
>Try making the protagonist a girl who. inexplicably falls in love with a vampire really a good guy.

Ooh! And maybe she also loves a werewolf at the same time.

Original idea pls no steal.
>>
I always liked the Dresden version of vampires. The ones that actually drink blood, I mean.
>>
File: Blood_Orgy.jpg (262 KB, 466x720) Image search: [Google]
Blood_Orgy.jpg
262 KB, 466x720
I wouldn't worry about being original or "revitalizing" a broad idea. I'd worry about getting good.
>>
Long ago, vampires once managed to reach large enough numbers and used their organization and ties with the human world to push back all the other horrors that went bump in the night. In the medieval times, with the help of the great sorcerers of the age, they set up a great warding wall between the outside and the world of humanity... then proceeded to ruthlessly exterminate magical knowledge among humanity as well as the last remnants of the monstrom in this world.

Now they stand a constant vigil against the outer darkness, battling against the horrors from beyond to keep their home -- and food supply -- intact. All while balancing the concerns of this world against this war, so that humanity does not rediscover the lost knowledge of the past.

But it is not the past they should be worried about. Tirana Merclades, a minor vlad-factotum of the failing Merclades clan, has stumbled upon a dark conspiracy among human shadow organizations to dispose of their vampiric masters once and for all, and now wounded by an arcande rune-bullet is on the run from their technomagical warriors.

Shadows haunt her at every turn, as she finds the conspiracy runs deeper than she had ever believed possible, and the only person she might trust could be an old flame from her human life... if he isn't involved himself, that is....

10/10, The Dollars For This Endorsement Were Amazing -- Wall Street Journal

5 stars, they gave me cake -- GRR Martin

I shlicked to the vampire sex -- That bitch who wrote Twilight
>>
>>47761243
Sadly no, I'm just some random faggot that likes cute. I will never have the combined hat and beer strength of one such as zun.
>>
>>47761423
This is actually not bad. It would at least make a decent shadowrun campaign.
>>
>>47759763
Make them monogamous.

Bam, done.
>>
>>47759798
this is tabletop we cant see how cute your vampire is. and therefore don't care.
>>
>>47759819
Legacy of Kain was never good

>winged vampires
Glad it died.
>>
>>47760968
Even lamer.
>>
>>47759763

Write a good story with good characters. Make at least one of them a vampire.

>Is it even possible to create something memorable/original about them nowadays?

Sure, see above.

>Or has the popular media killed it?

Nah, pop-media vampires just suck (pun intended) because they rely on vampires as a gimmick instead of writing good stories with good characters who happen to be vampires.
>>
All i know is i dislike the counter-trend of portraying vampires as monsters of pure evil.

The conflict between their humanity and bloodthirsty urges is what makes them interesting. And sexy
>>
>>47762286
Objectively shit taste detected

Dat dialogue.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=00efdE5CD7A
>>
>>47761423
I really like the "monsters get your dirty claws off my food" vampire theme.
Wish people used it more.
>>
>>47759763

Vampires worked great for 1800's writers because they meant sexual taboos.

In our culture there isn't really something like that anymore (the only possible execption to me is something like Let The Right One In).

There could be something more on the lines of "fear of death" but honestly I don't think it's gonna be easy.
>>
>>47761027
Who or what is that in your image?
>>
>>47759763
How about:
>World-ending apocalypse happened thousands of years ago
>Mankind has basically been knocked back to pre-electricity days, possibly even medieval days (obviously with more of a twist).
>There are immortal survivors from the Apocalypse, we can call them the Others for reference sake.
>The Others know what caused the Apocalypse but won't say. They are powerful and mysterious, befriending no one.
>They require sacrifices or they fuck up your village.
>Everyone fears them and no one has fucked with them in a long time.
>They require sacrifices once a month.
>One month, a village fucks with them.
>You find out their powers are both based on their vast knowledge of ancient tech and their own accumulated powers.
>The Others are immortal but require souls to keep living. Maybe make it aliens or some shit.
>They are the only ones who can use tech from this era since they've hoarded or destroyed the knowledge.
>Can I have my machine gun vampires now?
>>
>>47762230
This is the internet and I GOT PITCHAS
>>
>>47761012
>a bunch of radicals begin to purge them
As it should be.
The lamb does not live willingly with the wolf, nor the chicken with the fox. If vampires exist, humans would go to all lengths to stamp them out.
>>
>>47760892
Well.... mutants, with anomalies and artifacts are products of C-Conscious failed experiment to achieve peaceful and perfect world (aka world domination) trough Noosphere control.

Blowouts are just residual instability of damaged noosphere (same like magnetic anomaly in Lost, it accumulates energy until there is need to release it).
>>
>>47762682
The vampires just need to be the shepherd rather than the wolf.
>>
They are a threat far more insidious then the fact they feed on human blood but on memories and emotions as well.

As beings devoid of life and a "soul" they cannont feel anything and only through feeding do they gain any sort of experience which is clearly not their own. People who survive such attacks are often described as "vacant" and withdrawn as people who would normally be bursting with life are suddenly solemn and many have trouble recounting even basic meories such as names or even stop feeling entire sensations (i.e. the warmth of the sun for example which is dangerous because they could get sunburned sitting outside and not feeling their skin burning).

It's often described as a fate worst then death and even more cruel when the offending vampire looks to you fondly with memories and emotions not of their own and clearly recognizable as the person they stole them from.
>>
>>47759763
Do we need to? Vampires at the core are still cool.
>>
>>47759763

They could certainly use some fresh blood.
>>
File: vamp.jpg (44 KB, 686x800) Image search: [Google]
vamp.jpg
44 KB, 686x800
>>47759763
The Knights of Saint Lazarus; an order of Christian vampires dedicated to fighting evil undead. They do not feed on human blood, but instead are sustained by receiving the Eucharist daily. If they skip these "meals" they grow hungry for mortal blood. If they succumb to that temptation they risk falling to the curse and losing their immortal souls.

Our protagonist is an aimless millennial who was seduced and devoured by a girl who looked to good to be true (and was). She left his drained corpse in an alley, and that's where the Order of the Empty Crypt found him. He awoke 4 days later to the sound of a priest reading from John 11:38-44. Now this ill disciplined young man must learn to control his unnatural hunger while fighting the walking dead. He doesn't know if he believes in God, but he knows that he risks losing his mind if he doesn't go to church every day.

The chick who drained him becomes a recurring villain (pic related).
>>
File: tmp_28600-nope-2070406163.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tmp_28600-nope-2070406163.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>47760976
>>
File: vv.jpg (495 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
vv.jpg
495 KB, 1024x819
Do vampires fall in love /tg/?
>>
>>47759941
D vampires are awesome because you can clearly see their humanity has given up on life and it's only the monster within forcing them to keep killing to survive.
>>
Make them superhero vigilantes who think that immortality and all the other superpowers are cool as shit. They get past all the antiquated rules (can't go into houses uninvited) by just feeding on criminals. Thus, they are effectively only present in large cities with smaller towns completely free of them.
>>
>>47762919
If the Vamp were the shepherd, that would make the humans the sheep. I don't know about you, but I fancy myself better than cattle.
I see no peaceful middle ground of shared existence.
>>
>>47763901

It's simple. As part of your obligation you are meant to maintain a healthy life-style and donate once a month. Only through the excuse of a medical doctor are you not required to give blood, in which case if the government ran health-care system cannot get you back on track then talks come into play to find some other means to pay your dues to society.

After all, the vampires are there to protect you and you are not "cattle" you are Citizens
>>
>>47759763
We could make them sparkly?
>>
>>47763901
You already are cattle, it's just your cage is made of little green bills rather than tooth and claw.
>>
>>47763951
Please do tell what benefit the parasites are providing in return for these "donations"?

>>47764398
>You already are cattle, it's just your cage is made of little green bills
Not so much cattle, as indentured servants. But I'll concede the point.
>>
>>47764469
>Please do tell what benefit the parasites are providing in return for these "donations"?

Don't you realize that it's essential that our protectors , not parasites thank you very much, need the strength to keep our society safe and running?

The fact that you can go out in the park with your children and know for a fact that you are both safe and free from the machination of "Those who exist beyond the Gates".
>>
File: 1436990720080.jpg (1 MB, 2720x1850) Image search: [Google]
1436990720080.jpg
1 MB, 2720x1850
Requiem Chevalier Vampire
>>
A "young adult urban fantasy" series I read many years ago had an interesting take on vampires. The setting was one of those "what if every myth was true" deals, so there was all kinds of magic, ancient gods, immortal humans, crazy monsters, etc. running around with two "normal" kids (a brother and sister) caught in the middle of it all because >muh prophecy.

Anyway, Vampires in this setting don't feed on blood, what they actually feed on is emotions and the life-force that accompanies them. As such their own emotions are very limited and faint. They have all the normal vampire powers (don't need to eat/sleep/breath, basically unkillable, immortal, stronger/faster than humans, etc.) but they aren't undead, and if they're well-fed and haven't gone feral then they don't have to fear sunlight and they look the same as normal humans (aside from not breathing and having no pulse). They even have to abide by the old "must be invited to come inside a house" rule, which there's some in-setting explanation for.

Vampires that don't control their hunger sort of devolve and become more bestial. These vampires DO drink blood as it provides them with more direct access to the life energy that they crave.

All of this is detailed because the main characters are travelling with one of these Vampires, a petite red-headed woman who's almost always eerily calm and cheerful. She's friends with the kids' mentor (an immortal mage) and acts as the muscle for the group early on because she's old as hell and incredibly dangerous in a fight. High points include beating the piss out of a whole squad of GIGN troopers when the party was in France as well as repeatedly surviving things everyone else assumed had killed her.
>>
>>47764988
>Requiem Chevalier Vampire
My nigga.
It's a shame there aren't more comics out there that delve deeper into the world surronding it and all the races involved with each crime.
>>
>>47759763
Remove all the sexual motifs and allusions, to begin with. That's the Tolkien of vampires. It was once good and original but got plagiarized so often now it's just old and tired, except it has fermented for several times more than Tolkien

Remove all aristocracy motifs as well. If whar you're writing starts to sound too much like generic zombies, remove that as well. That's pretty much it.
>>
File: Communist_Holocaust_01_650px.jpg (205 KB, 650x542) Image search: [Google]
Communist_Holocaust_01_650px.jpg
205 KB, 650x542
>>47764398
>You already are cattle, it's just your cage is made of little green bills

fuck off communist bastard
>>
>>47760980
I like that.
>>
>>47761423
>10/10, The Dollars For This Endorsement Were Amazing -- Wall Street Journal
>5 stars, they gave me cake -- GRR Martin
>I shlicked to the vampire sex -- That bitch who wrote Twilight
lol
>>
File: the-secrets-of-nicholas-flamel.jpg (137 KB, 640x606) Image search: [Google]
the-secrets-of-nicholas-flamel.jpg
137 KB, 640x606
>>47765078
Dame fine childrens book. Heres the books if anyone wants a good read. The authors really good.
>>
>>47765579
>my half assed description was good enough for someone to know what I'm talking about
Neat.

I feel like I should go back and finish those. Only the first three were out when I read them and by the time the fourth had released I'd moved on.
>>
>>47765277
Would you prefer being told that your cage is made of bud bear cans and political talking heads? So afraid that foreigners and poor people are going to take your tv that a few people disappearing doesn't make you flinch?
>>
>>47765277
I do not believe everyone desserves to be equal but I'd prefer a vampire world where your worth is measured by being more useful than just a snack, than the current hooknose world where you worth is always zero unless you're born into a handfull of families.

Shove your fascist "communism" and your oligarch "capitalism" up your ass.
>>
File: 1421443388634.jpg (91 KB, 640x355) Image search: [Google]
1421443388634.jpg
91 KB, 640x355
>>47764988
Fucking this. RCV was a thing of beauty in so many ways, having vampires as simply purified evil was brilliant.
>>
Alright, /tg/, how would you handle vampire romance? I'm running a game where one player is really into that concept but I don't know how to even approach it without it being cliche.

Any ideas?
>>
>>47768375
Well, what are your vampires like?

Assuming normal vampires, you could do something where one member of a couple gets turned and the other sticks with them out of love, letting their partner feed on them periodically so they don't have to hunt others.
>>
>>47768375
They like to rub their cold, dead bodies on human bodies to feel the warmth once again, but aside from that treat humans like pets.
>>
>>47768375
Absolute, uncontrollable obsession.
Read Misey.
Make them resent their fetish.
>>
File: Abhorash.jpg (20 KB, 333x509) Image search: [Google]
Abhorash.jpg
20 KB, 333x509
>>47759763
Return them to old-school Bram Stocker Dracula-tier of badass and ramp them up to show everyone their status as true lords of the undead.

Make them from total dicks to dicks with standards, but never try to make them not dickish.

At least the ones in Warhammer Fantasy are still badass. Blood Dragons especially.
>>
>>47768375
It really bugs me when they draw tears falling from the eyes away from the tear ducts.
Even if she was crying so much they would fall from the middle like that, she'd still have them falling from the tear ducts.
>>
>>47760849
fuckers wrote a book just so they can make the developers fuck off? Thats dedication right there
>>
>>47768786
This, this and this again. Vampires in FB be best vampire.
>>
>>47759763
Why would you want to make something original? The reason vampires got popular in the first place was the way they were originally. Just play back to that trope. They're lords of the night and hunters of men.

The problem with people these days is that they always want to have something new and original, and think something is bad because it isn't original. Newsflash, the tropes exist for a reason. People LIKE them. Just write them well. That's all you need.
>>
File: 1465062235645.png (302 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1465062235645.png
302 KB, 500x500
>>47768413
>>47768432
>>47768608
The entirety of the story is basically pure misery for the players, I want the vampire to play a heartwarming role in it with a bittersweet end.

Vamps are pretty traditional here, except the one in focus is old as fuck so his attention is centered on emotions rather than blood.

If it changes anything, the player is female, vampire is male
>>
>>47765144
Claudia : Chevalier Vampire, m8.
>>
I'm running a scion game and one of the PC's girlfriend was turned into a vampire by Alucard more or less.

So now we got the child of Zeus dating a young vampire whose extremely powerful by vampire standards.
>>
>>47769011
>Why would you want to make something original?
Because it's fun.
>>
>>47768375
>>47769028
Are you talking about human/vampire romance or vampire/vampire romance?
>>
File: never ever.png (1 MB, 1152x551) Image search: [Google]
never ever.png
1 MB, 1152x551
Dunno how to revitalize something undead, but I've always wanted to see the hunter become the hunted.
>Vampires get discovered
>Gets hunted down, Rainbow 6-style at first
>Someone does some shit with vampires
>Discovers lots of shit about them
>Vampire blood has properties so miraculous it might as well be nanomachines son or Tiberium
>Vampire blood becomes humanity's energy source
>They get hunted down even more mercilessly and converted to resources
>Wars are fought over control of this precious resource
>New materials and technologies are formed thanks to their systematic slaughter and experimentation
>>
>>47772237
>That pic.
>Reminded that there will never be any Tyberium.
>Reminded that the crazy adventures of Ricardo Vega will never be a thing.
>Reminded that there will never be a sexy Nod Priestess.
>>
>>47771875
Human/Vampire
>>
File: Cold_Lazarus.jpg (101 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Cold_Lazarus.jpg
101 KB, 640x360
>>47772367
>>
>>47772367
It hurts. It still hurts.
>>
>>47772476
>>47772478
I miss C&C. Dammit EA. How much more will you torment us?
>>
>>47759763
That's an easy question, the answer is of course yes. The term "vampire" comes with a specific "baggage" though and deviation from that particular "baggage" may not be positive.
>>
Don't make them anything like what you see in popular media. Don't get obsessed with doing something 'original' either; there's nothing you could ever think of that wasn't never done by someone else before somewhere in the innumerable thousands of years that humans have been around before you. Just don't do the shit that's obvious and from recent movies.
>>
File: 1436832753385.jpg (3 MB, 2177x3056) Image search: [Google]
1436832753385.jpg
3 MB, 2177x3056
>>47767637
>having vampires as simply purified evil was brilliant.
It really was, made them into some evil badasses. And their whole aesthetic was great looking.
>>47769604
>Claudia : Chevalier Vampire
She got her own spinoff or something? Well hell, thanks for the information anon.
>>
File: Homebrew Setting.png (379 KB, 1078x729) Image search: [Google]
Homebrew Setting.png
379 KB, 1078x729
>>47761423
Not that I'm complaining. I'd read the shit out of that.
>>
>>47772237

Fuck you for reminding me of this, now I feel horrible.
>>
>>47772503

Never, its done. Enjoy C&C4 as the last in line for the Tiberium universe.

>>47772476

Is that Tiberium? How is he not dead?
>>
>>47775920
>Enjoy C&C4 as the last in line for the Tiberium universe.
THAT THING DOESN'T EXIST!!!
>>
>>47772237
>HURF DURF HAVE THEM HUNTED BY TACTICOOL OPERATORS

Yes, I'm sure that's a great way to revitalise a classic fantasy monster, and not at all an excuse for yet another shallow HFY power fantasy.
>>
>>47769028
Make the vampire treat her like the most amusing pet he ever had.
>>
VC from whfb 6th are still the best. Everything about them was perfect. Gothic horror vampires with all kinds of flavours but without all the edgyness that ruined vampires in recent years.
>>
>>47772237
You essentially described Bloodborne, but steampunk instead of oper8or.
>>
>>47765215
>Remove the eroticism
>Remove the aristocratic motifs
>Remove the fact they're raised undead like in the Slavic myths
So they're just immortal people who like to drink blood.
Okay.
>>
>>47778609

So...Vampiric mecha that forces the pilot to become a "vampire" of sorts. Interesting concept kinda
>>
File: but spongebob.png (99 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
but spongebob.png
99 KB, 340x340
>>47774293
>mounted centaurs
Opposed to, what, horseless centaurs?
I am confused.
>>
>>47778757
There are riders on the centaurs.
>>
>>47778745
Mecha forces the pilot to "throw away their humanity".
Basically
>Information runes (bullshit technobabble about emotions, memories, knowledge, life force all able to be broken down to "information runes") is their life force
>Piloting the mechs requires the runes, if you pilot for too long with too little runes it'll eventually start tearing at your own mind and memories, then kill you
>To gain more information runes they can feed on others
>Gain standard immortality and endless youth as aging stops
>Can survive point-blank gunshots to the face, hyperspeed regeneration of wounds
>They can hijack people's bodies and use it
>If you don't feed regularly yet pilot at the same time you can go feral and assault people and even rape, like Red did to Green in episode 10

It's called Valvrave the Liberator, by the way.
>>
>>47778757
As in there are people mounted on the backs of centaurs. Centaurs are monsters that are barely sentient and formed from the souls of rapists in the setting.
>>
>>47778773
>>47778903
Right. Makes sense.
I'll add this to my To-Read list.
>>
>>47762286
Kill yourself
>>
>>47778903
They mounted people against their will in their past life, so now they're doomed to be mounted for all eternity?
>>
File: Mounted Centaurs.jpg (926 KB, 1032x1725) Image search: [Google]
Mounted Centaurs.jpg
926 KB, 1032x1725
>>47778757
>>47779077
Right as was explained, there are riders on the Centuars and it makes for a pretty cool image.
>>
File: 1436832040406.jpg (2 MB, 2177x3056) Image search: [Google]
1436832040406.jpg
2 MB, 2177x3056
>>47779178
>They mounted people against their will in their past life, so now they're doomed to be mounted for all eternity?
Basically yea, they were rapist in their past life and for their crimes they became Centaurs when they died. Now they prey upon Harpies and are hunted by Werewolves.
>>
File: BSedit3.jpg (27 KB, 300x416) Image search: [Google]
BSedit3.jpg
27 KB, 300x416
>>47759763

Yooooooo

Vampires make first contact
Hilarity ensues
>>
The Vampires in my strange semi-souls setting are desperate beasts barely clinging to their humanity and what little joy they can feel by constantly consuming the tendrils of seed-souls of other beings

My setting is a strange hodge-podge of lands held together by the 6 Great Trees. The Great Trees bore seeds, which fell to the lifeless earth and gave birth to all living things, while their essences brought change to the barren world. A soul of a being is a solid, physical thing, manifesting as the tendrils that serve as the being's nervous system.

But the Trees are dying, slowly turning into husks. A spreading corruption, a disease from the depths of Nidhr is killing the trees, causing the world to slowly slip into chaos.

The Vampires, like everything, embody the desperation of a living, but slowly dying world. Their seeds are husks, and they are consumed by a hunger unlike anything else. They feel the dark, cloying sensation of absolute depression and despair all the time, and the hole left by their husked seeds can only be partially filled with roots of others' seed-souls. Of course the consumed tendrils die, and the hunger grows ever more.
>>
>>47779343
>Harpies killed infants/young children
>Centaurs were rapists
>Werewolves were religious extremists

What kind of setting is this and what are lamias/vampires then?
>>
>>47780175

Cavalier Vampire Requiem.

It's a comic from Heavy metal.

basically put people who die and go to hell are reborn into certain monsters based on whatever they did in life as exemplified by the Centaurs and Harpies.

Vampires are on the top of the list as pure evil and one of the characters is a female vampire who is particularly evil and eventually has the werewolf Torquemada as a slave (even has a scene where she's having sex with him against his will)
>>
>>47759763
my solution to everything is more religion

i always liked the wod vampires that were descended from one of the guys who crucified jesus

tying them into faith makes them less "tacked-on" and more central to your game
>>
File: 1436822124330.jpg (6 MB, 4355x3056) Image search: [Google]
1436822124330.jpg
6 MB, 4355x3056
>>47780175
Requiem Chevalier Vampire
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_Chevalier_Vampire
>What kind of setting is this
The setting is set in this reverse world called Resurrection where people are re-incarnated into beings fitting to the crimes or sins they commited in life.
>what are lamias/vampires then?
Vampires are people who commited great crimes in life and enjoyed the torment, savagery, and brutality they inflicted. For that they are "rewarded" by being reincarnated as Vampires. The de facto rulers of Resurrection.
Lamias are a kind of ghost and in life they were the victims of all the races in Resurrection. They can only be set free from this hell like world by killing or "expirate" the one who tormented them in life.
>>
>>47761092
There's always this tried and true tactic: make them about sexual desires that are greatly repressed. Vampires that feed on those of the same sex, vampires that change from male to female form (and the reverse), child vampires, vampires from another culture, rapey vampires, even just classic seductive vampires. It doesn't matter what you do so long as they have that vague sexuality that makes people both interested and scared of them.
>>
>>47759763
Northeastern vampires are pretty cool.

Vampires is a very slow acting virus that mutates things into entirely new species over generations, mostly deep sea creatures (although there are terrestrial vampires). They are all telekinetic and have strange and unique psychic abilities, like the catfish vampires creating second bodies out of slime that they swim inside.
>>
>>47759763
All the Vampires in my setting are mutant Dwarves that injected their bodies with too much Mutagen. They can basically change their bodies at will as long as they have a fresh supply of blood.
>>
>>47781811
>Northeastern
Fucking autocorrect, I meant Mortasheen
>>
>>47761265
My nigga.
>>
>>47763622
Sauce?
>>
>>47759819
The only games I ever played solely for the plot.
>>
>>47776027
You forgot the fact that his post wasn't meant to revitalize the classic fantasy monster.
>HURF DURF I DONT READ POSTS FULLY
>>
Combine Vampires and Trypophobia.

>Whoa check out that chick with big boobs
>Fuck yeah she passed out
>Time to lick dem nips
>OH SHIT
>WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE THINGS
>ARE THOSE FUCKING HOLES
>AND WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE THINGS BLEEDING
>OH SHIT SHE WOKE UP
>WHAT THE FUCK HER EYES HAVE FUCKING HOLES WHAT THE FUCK
>WHAT THE FUCK HER TONGUE REACHED HER BOOBS
>HER FUCKING TONGUE HAS FUCKING HOLES
>AAHHHHH SHE"S BITING MY AHADMKGDAFLKNDDGRASFSAC
>>
>>47775920
It's from Command and Conquer: SG-1
>>
>>47760849
That... that is fucking brilliant!
>>
>>47760849
That's brilliant, and lubricated with awesome.

They went this far for their work to screw over the producers from screwing them over? That's really some determination here.
>>
>>47762378
Dat elder god...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlyDTEn32Fs
>>
>>47759763
Why would you?

oWoD/DA4lyfe
>>
>>47761012
That's stupid.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 662x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 662x450
Crazy mask vampires
>>
>>47763288

GURPS already did Christian monastic vampires in their Abadyos supplement. They worked brilliantly.
>>
>>47759763

Don't revitalize it at all. Pare away all the media on vampires and go back to old school Interview with a Vampire, The Hunger, etc.

Buy an old copy of Vampire the Masquerade, Second Edition. Read the whole damn book, cover to cover, but only run the game with that. Don't use any other WoD supplements.

Or, try reading this:

http://www.vulture.com/2011/07/don_draper_vampire_twilight_tr.html
>>
>>47787404
>Much has been made of the damage inflicted by the “male gaze” in film, but what of the female gaze? It's taken the Romantic vampire and cut off his balls, leaving a pallid emo pansy with the gaseous pretentiousness of a perfume commercial. We are now left with the Castrati vampire: This is pornography for tweens, as well as a worrying reflection of our time.
>>
>>47782356
STALKER
>>
File: 1397498355152.jpg (70 KB, 750x499) Image search: [Google]
1397498355152.jpg
70 KB, 750x499
>>47759763
The thing about the vampire genre is it's always been an evolving monster ever since the idea of a farmer in ancient poland going "Holy shit I think I saw my dead brother eating a dog". The problem is instead of stopping at a sensible point where there was variety but with enough thematical symalarities that people used that was present...everyone decided to keep evolving and keep being "original" and all it turned into was fucking stupid shit and tryhards trying to be romantic or horrifying without actually hitting the mark. You can blame Anne Rice, or Twilight, or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, or even Lovecraft but in the end the only way to revitalize vampires is if you just acknowledge the basics of them and stick to it without trying to put some new weird spin on it.

Or keep slamming into the wall and making variant tragic beings who absorb other things besides blood. Whatever floats your boat. At least they aren't zombies in regards of a boring genre that needs to die.
>>
>>47760252
this. I love using monsters with a weakness like this. I try to proof them against all but one weakness and see if the players can figure out how to down them.
>>
>>47787150
Everything JoJo is incredibly stupid and has absolutely no business outside of JoJo.
As someone who enjoys JoJo, this should be obvious to you.
>>
>>47763677
Sure they do, just not in the human sense
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.