[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2D6 VS 3D6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Which is the superior resolution method, /tg/?
>>
>>47758790
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>47758790
How is this a "great" debate, I have never ever heard of some kind of conflict between these two arbitrary dice, what even game are you talking about?

Unreal.
>>
>>47758790

Neither really. It depends what you want from the dice, which is more a matter of theme and play style.
>>
Depends on what you want to get out of the system.
>>
>>47758790
best system with each type of resolution?
>>
>>47758790
3d6 because 11 different things from 2d6 arent enought
>>
>>47758790
Assuming you mean 3d6 under stat vs 2d6 + modifiers...

I really like 2d6 for its intuitiveness, but it seems like it'd be a bit slow. You're adding up your roll, declaring it, and then having the GM tell you if you succeeded.

3d6 under stat is nice because you know right away whether or not you succeeded, but it's a bitch to use for contests. It also has a somewhat smoother bell curve, but personally I don't really care about the smoothness of the curve so long as there is at least somewhat of a curve.
>>
>>47758790
I find that 3d6 is too slow and cumbersome, while 2d6 is just a hair slower than roll, say, 1d10. 2d6 only makes you combine two dice, to get a number that's usually 10 or under (it's easier to deal in single digits, and 10 is as easy as a single digit number), and with so few results above 10 that they're immediately recognizable without even having to really do math. The third die on 3d6 seems to slow things appreciably down, and once you add in a modifier of some sort, it's just too many steps.

Of course, 2d6 gives you a very narrow effective range. Sure, there are 11 possible results, but the ones at the fringes have low probabilities. So the operational range, where there is a decent chance of both success and failure, only includes 5, maybe 7, out of that 11. And that doesn't give you much elbow room. So overall, I don't know that I'm a big fan of either dice mechanic, 3d6 or 2d6, but given a choice, I'd go with the latter, at least for the right kind of game. Then again, for the type of game 3d6 would work better for, I'd prefer to use 1d20.
>>
as long as it's not d20 it's fine
>>
>>47761607
>but it's a bitch to use for contests
No it's not. You roll, and you mark your margin of success/failure
He does the same
Best margin wins.

If you really feel you need to fix disparity, or adjust heavy roll margins, adjust both targets down by the same amount until one is against 10. Very even contest at that point
>>
Assessing resolution systems in a vacuum is moronic.

Resolution systems are an element of the game they're in, you can only assess them in terms of how they're going to be used. Without context, this whole thing is pointless.
>>
File: targetnumbers.png (24 KB, 681x208) Image search: [Google]
targetnumbers.png
24 KB, 681x208
I've been playing with a 3d6 system myself.

>player stats what they want to do
>GM gives them a target number from 1 to 6 signifying how difficult it is
>player rolls 3d6, one of which is special
>if more dice exceed the target number than meet or fall beneath it, the attempt is successful
>if the special dice succeeds or fails there is a positive or negative consequence, respectively

Is this too complex?
>>
>>47763059
I've been GMing a game of GURPS since March, and in my experience contests have been much, much slower than contests in D&D have been. I've decided to start using static margins of success for NPCs (Skill Level - 10 +/- Situational Modifiers) and hopefully that will play out quicker than it has in the past. Even still, 3d6 under stat has not been very quick or easy in my experience.
>>
>>47763187
so two of the difficulties might as well not exist?

what makes characters different from each other?
since a system like that can't handle +1s
>>
>>47763191
I have been gming gurps for ten years
In MY experience, the game is not slow. You might just be bad at simple rolling.
>>
>>47758790

I'm a fan of 3D6, as it gives a nice curve and a more rounded average.
>>
>>47763254
To be honest I might. My dice tend to slide around the table a lot, so I end up having to gather them up and then do the math on them. It might also be that me and my players just don't have the mental muscle memory that would make GURPS easier, if that makes any sense. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
>>
>>47763228
1 and 6 are ways for the GM to say "Don't bother rolling, you succeed," or "You can try it, but you might not like it."

Characters have stat pools that they can invest to improve their rolls - either a little bit if you invest after seeing the results, or a lot if you invest before.

They also earn skills, which are sort of like FATE aspects, which add additional d6 to their role. These skill dice ignore failure, however, so having skills can only help you. Skills are also pretty broad, so they can be relevant to a variety of rolls; the example I use is "All shall learn to fear my blade II" which would let you add 2d6 to any roll to attack with your blade, intimidate someone with it, etc.

Also there are a few +1s, but you add them to individual dice to turn a failure into a success.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.