[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We suggest and discuss settings with, or types of "psionics",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1370987800671.jpg (668 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1370987800671.jpg
668 KB, 1920x1080
ITT: We suggest and discuss settings with, or types of "psionics", that stay completely away from telekinesis, pyrokinesis, telepathy or any other blatant sort of universe manipulation due to "Muh Mind Powers".

For instance, I think it would be interesting to have a setting where the "gifted" folk, who would be psions or sorcerers in another setting, are just really really intelligent, not unlike the effects of the drug from the campy movie: Limitless. No external universe manipulation, only internal boon.
>>
>>47752536
The main problem with that is, its not very INTERESTING to play mechanics wise. I usually play characters with average level intelligence. I personally may be a bit above average intelligence IRL, but its basically the same level. Whereas playing a supergenius can be difficult as you are actually dumbing your character down with your actions as... you are not as smart as your character should be.
>>
File: 1457939827310.png (95 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1457939827310.png
95 KB, 625x626
>>47752536
>IIT we suggest and discuss settings with fire that completely stay away from producing heat, light, or any other blatant byproducts of combustion.
>>
>>47752536
So like that shitty Kyle XY show? Sounds incredibly dumb.
>>
File: 1366677731894.jpg (307 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1366677731894.jpg
307 KB, 1600x900
>>47752573
No, its just a difficult prompt to get /tg/ thinking. The wording is a bit rough I admit. Basically: Mental powers or mutations that effect the setting beyond the easiest and most hollywood tactics of throwing shit around or exploding people with your mind.

Another example: A setting where a vast mental web within the world or universe has changed telecommunications or navigation.

>>47752554
Guess I hadn't thought about that...
>>
>>47752593
Never heard of, just looked it up... its about a retarded kid who solves crime?
>>
>>47752632
It was this stupid show that ran under the premise of "the longer you're in the womb, the smarter you become", so they put this fetus in an artificial womb and have it cook for 20 years so he's supposed to be this incredibly smart godlike being. He develops magic powers because of how smart he is or some shit.
>>
>>47752682
sounds like some 1800's science...
>>
You could interprete things like clairvoyance and fortune-telling as powers of the mind.
>>
>>47752536
Look at Worm's Thinkers. Tattletale is good, she has super deduction. Accord had insane problem solving skill that scaled with the complexity of the problem. Uber had the power to be really, really good at one thing as long as he concentrated on it. The Numbers Man is so good with math that he is like a precog. Dinah was a literal precog but could only express things in percentage values. Contessa has one of the coolest mental powers ever done - "I win.".
>>
File: tumblr_nl471tEPNJ1qbluruo1_1280.jpg (386 KB, 1102x1506) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nl471tEPNJ1qbluruo1_1280.jpg
386 KB, 1102x1506
>>47753312
yeah something about being able to do quantum calculations in your head is cool to me. Maybe not using them to dodge bullets in a split-second, the capacity to figure out things that no one else can, or engineer stuff for your buddies.
>>
>>47752536
I feel like you're basically saying "Let's come up with something that isn't psionics and call it psionics." The "psi" is literally the same as the "psy" in "psychic."
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.