[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats a more dangerous creature to face? A Wendigo or a Werewolf?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 23
File: Wendigo1.jpg (55 KB, 500x665) Image search: [Google]
Wendigo1.jpg
55 KB, 500x665
Whats a more dangerous creature to face? A Wendigo or a Werewolf?

Which would win in a fight?
>>
>>47747511

I don't know but that's now going to be a personal goal of mine to make a character that becomes one to fight the other.
>>
Both are from similar legends. Depends on the setting as usual of course but since werewolves are a bit more ubiquitous in most settings these days I would lean towards wendigos as the truly depraved incarnations of human desperation.
>>
Werewolf is more dangerous because you can actually talk and effectively outwit a wendigo if you know how to handle one.

A Wendigo also wouldn't be able to use silver, which means that it would largely be a stalemate match since neither would be able to really kill the other, though I'd have to say the Wendigo would be the stronger and more resilient of the two.
>>
>>47747625
What if the Wendigo beats down the Werewolf and eats it? Could a Werewolf die from being eaten alive?
>>
>>47747856

Without silver weaponry, it would fail to eat it. It will bite, but not penetrate deep enough to tear away flesh, and thus it is not a good meal plan.
>>
>>47747511
If a werewolf ate another person while human, could it turn into a wolfdigo?
>>
>>47747856
If it could be incapacitated simply through force, silver bullets wouldn't be a necessity. A group of farmers with shotguns would be able to subdue a werewolf just by unloading into it with ordinary shot and then feeding it to a woodchipper.
>>
>>47747925
Vulnerable only to silver. Buckshot would knock it around but fail to penetrate a werewolf's hide.
Woodchipper would clog and/or throw a belt.
>>
>>47748023

Exactly. Same for a wendigo's teeth. Eating the werewolf alive is a failing strategy because eating the werewolf is impossible.
>>
>>47747878
But Werewolves are susceptible to being cut and hurt, they just can't die unless through silver wounds, so wouldn't a Wendigo still be able to bite flesh off?
>>
>>47747898

No, no stacking templates.
>>
>>47748095
>Bit by a lycanthrope
>Turn into a werewolf
>Devour a person while lost in the woods
>Become a Wendigo
>Perform a pure evil ritual
>Become a lich
>Wander the world as a Werendigolich
>>
File: [ABSOLUTE HORROR].png (768 KB, 706x505) Image search: [Google]
[ABSOLUTE HORROR].png
768 KB, 706x505
>>47748179
>>
>>47747511
Well, if Until Dawn is to be believed, you need to set a Wendigo on fire before you can kill it.
So really, it would be an eternal stalemate. Wendigo doesn't have silver, werewolf doesn't have fire. Although, fire is more likely to come up randomly in the course of the fight, so I would give the werewolf the advantage.
>>
>>47748091
Silver only.
Can't be cut unless it's a silver knife. Can't be shot unless a silver bullet.
Can't be beaten unless by a stick with a silver handle.
>>
>>47748330
What if the person who happened to turn into a Wendigo had silver fillings?
>>
>plot twist
>Wendigos are just the north american species of Werewolf.
>>
File: This bears further consideration.jpg (156 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
This bears further consideration.jpg
156 KB, 1024x1024
>>47748339
>>
>>47748339
Sure that works...also if the Werewolf was able to set itself on fire, then we'd have a showdown.
>>
>>47748313
Would it really be a stalemate if the Wendigo is stronger and tougher than the Werewolf? It would be, if they are forced to keep fighting, an endless curbstomp of the Werewolf getting it's shit kicked it and the Wendigo trying to eat it.
>>
>>47748382
>Wendigo with silver dentures and silver nails
>Werewolf that can spit fire
LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
>>
>>47748412
>>47748382
>>
>>47748384
Are Wendigos stronger than werewolves? They seem like an equal match. Wendigos seem sneakier though.
>>
>>47748492
If they aren't stronger, Wendigo are equally as strong and as durable as Werewolves. So if thats true then it would be a stalemate
>>
Also, depends on how much the wendigo has eaten. Remember that they grow with each victim they consume, to the point of literally becoming small mountains. Never satiated, they are constantly forced to hunt and search for food to fill themselves.

Plus, if you don't have Good Medicine, you're more or less fucked unless you can manage to burn the icy heart of a wendigo which isn't just as simple as tossing a molotov at it. That said, a medicine man could lure a wendigo into a trap so that Bear could knock its spirit into the sky. But then you still have to defeat the gigantic, flesh-consuming murder-monster.

God, Native American myth sounds ridiculous sometimes when you say it out loud.
>>
Well, a stalemate until the sun comes up I guess.
>>
>>47748179
Samuel Haight, is that you?
>>
A werewolf you have to evade until the sun rises

A wendigo you have to evade until it doesn't want to eat you any more (which never happens) or finds something more appetizing to hunt (rarely an option)

As far as which is stronger, well, a werewolf is basically just a big bipedal wolf. Whether a wendigo is more powerful than that depends on what native group you're drawing the legend from. In some lore, they run so fast that their feet burn off, and then they just float along the ground at the same pace.
>>
>>47749397
Kek, though he didn't state having a bad end.
>>
You lot forget that older Wendigos can generate blizzards.
>>
>>47747511
I don't thin either v=could kill the other but the wendigo would just kick the shit out of the werewolf until it either got bored or the transformation wore off and the wendigo would eat it alive as it is now more akin to dinner than a threat (assuming we're going classic full moon werewolf here)
>>
>>47748492
Wendigos can get to the size of mountains, so I'd give it the advantage on strength.
>>
werewolf queen

the answer is always werewolf queen
>>
Which version of werewolf and wendigo? Wendigo range from dumb giants to spirits to nearly being godlike in power (well compared to people anyway). Werewolves range from witches who are mortal and change via magic pelts to killable by any means (although silver kills instantly) to unstoppable juggernaut except for silver
>>
>>47751050

Werewolves have a Monarchy?

Can they also have Kings or is the royal lineage patriarchal? What system of government do the Wendigo follow? Or do they have a smattering of different systems of government between whatever political divisions different groups have, and historically different ones that have been upended by revolution or instituted by past leadership?
>>
>>47751161
>witches who are mortal and change via magic pelts

Those are Hexenwolves.
>>
>>47747511
I think Wendigos have it. If they can get to giant sizes, that alone makes their odds of just subduing the werewolf way better, potentially even swallowing it whole.

If you assume equal strength it might be a stalemate, but then recall that the werewolf is on the clock. Once the sun rises, they go back to their normal, edible selves.

So unless lightning strikes mid-fight and the forest catches on fire, I'd give it to the Wendigo.
>>
File: Wendigo_flatFV.jpg (508 KB, 1545x1600) Image search: [Google]
Wendigo_flatFV.jpg
508 KB, 1545x1600
>>47747511
The wendigo because I am from Minnesota and have to root for my home state's monster.
>>
>>47748179

Why not a Werendigo-that-walks?
>>
File: Mmmhmm.jpg (200 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Mmmhmm.jpg
200 KB, 1280x960
>>47749012
That just makes them more awesome.
>>
>>47751256

Wendigo have a consumer based system
>>
File: bloodborne_guide_walkthrough_6.jpg (51 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne_guide_walkthrough_6.jpg
51 KB, 854x480
Just remember to strafe around it's sides, dodge when it's leaping, use your molotov's and oils, and hack away them ankles and you should be fine with wendigo.

It's the werewolves that give me more trouble... less predictable, dodgier, quieter too. They'll sneak up on you and you won't hear the snarl till the last second.
>>
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary2/wendigo.html#wendigo

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/lycanthrope.html#lycanthrope-werewolf

You tell me
>>
>>47752120
>http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary2/wendigo.html#wendigo
Christ alive, how is all of Golarion not filled with Wendigos?
>>
File: wendigo.jpg (127 KB, 650x354) Image search: [Google]
wendigo.jpg
127 KB, 650x354
>>
>>47751500
Wendigoag, actually. That's the correct plural.
>>
BPRD already kind of did it with a werejaguar instead of a werewolf.
>>
>>47752252
And spoilers it fucking ruled
double spoilers the wendigo won
>>
>>47747925

Silver isn't required to destroy it, just the only viable way for preindustrial humans
>>
>>47752120
>Once the transformation is complete, the victim is effectively dead, replaced by a new wendigo. True resurrection, miracle, or wish can restore such a victim to life, yet doing so does not harm the new wendigo. The save is Charisma-based.

What the fuck pathfinder.
>rez player
>you a weeabo now dawg
Shiiiiet
>>
This is a pointless question because both of those creatures are depicted in multiple ways in different works. For example, in the universe I created, Werewolves can be 50-foot-tall abominations with muscle density that would turn them into black holes if they weren't bound by local physical laws. They'd fuck up any Wendigo, but that doesn't really prove anything.
>>
>>47752439
I think you're misunderstanding.

When you get True Rez'd or Miracle'd/Wished, you come back in a new version of your original body.

The Wendigo is still running around in your OLD body, a totally separate creature. You aren't resurrected as a wendigo.
>>
>>47752457
Good thing no one gives a fuck about your fanfiction setting and most people tend to go off the average power level expected of a particular fantasy creature.

Sure, there's always variance in the power level and specifics, but if you ask if a werewolf would beat a dragon in a fight, only a retard would say that it would.

Werewolves are just retard strong manwolves. Wendigos are a fucking force of nature.
>>
File: 1405091513425.gif (769 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1405091513425.gif
769 KB, 320x240
>>47752470
>implying
>>
>>
>>47752493
I don't know what you think I'm implying. That's literally how it works.
>>
>>47752489
Okay senpai. Your totemnigger fanfiction bullshit doesn't even hold a candle to my legionnaire lycanthropes. Don't be throwing around terms that better apply to yourself than your opponent.
>>
>>47752539
But it's not my fanfiction, nor does anyone care about your setting.

It's literally right in the Pathfinder book.
>>
File: 1464972647682.jpg (156 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464972647682.jpg
156 KB, 1280x720
>>47752539
>legionnaire lycanthropes

Gaaaay.
>>
>>47752523
>cast rez on body
>wendigo is moonwalking in the sky ignoring your pleas to escape the boney undeath that you are now trapped in
>charisma based save
>you must be this good looking to exit the wendigo
>>
>>47752578
Nowhere near as gay as your reaction image, faggot.

>>47752560
Don't know why Pathfinder is relevant in any way; that is hardly canonical when it comes to fiction. People can interpret mythology and folklore in different ways. That doesn't make it "fanfiction." The fuck are you bringing that term into it for? I'll tell you what for: you just wanted to argue with someone. Fuck you.
>>
File: 1465799762734.gif (2 MB, 270x180) Image search: [Google]
1465799762734.gif
2 MB, 270x180
>>
>>47752596
Read it again. Rez doesn't work. That's exactly why you have to use True Res/Miracle/Wish, just like you would have to if your body was burned to nothingness by dragon fire and scattered to the wind.

Your body becomes a new Wendigo; you can't be rez'd back into it.

>>47752604
>canonical when it comes to fiction

Stopped reading there; good one mate.
>>
>>47752636
My point was that nothing is fucking canonical when it comes to fiction. I can claim that cockatrices are mammals and you can't prove me wrong. Learn to read you bloated queer.
>>
>>47752644
>cockatrices
Those actually lay eggs anon..its in the Bible.
>>
>>47752644
>being this mad that fictional archetypes have standards that most people adhere to
>my dwarves are blue balls of 10 legs without heads or beards ha ha they can be whatever I want ;^) I came to the dwarf thread to tell everyone how stupid they are
>>
>>47752636
What if you kill the wendigo and rez the dead ashes?
>>
>>47752651
Powerlevels aren't characteristics like having fur or being colored green. You people started a vapid my god can beat up your god thread. Relative strength of races isn't a standard most people adhere to. You mentioned dragons earlier; in many settings, dragons are overhunted and nearly extinct pansies, while in others they're untouchable overlords. But they all have scales and breathe fire. Fuck you.
>>
>>47752676
Wendigos are Outsiders, so after it completes the transformation, your old body is now a Wendigo Outsider. Killing the Wendigo and attempting to rez it, regardless if it still has the whole body, or if it is ashes, will not work because Outsiders cannot be called back with the Resurrection spell.

This is why you have to use True Resurrection to bring the PC back. Oddly, you could also bring back the Wendigo that you killed if you wanted to, instead.

>True Resurrection
>This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can't resurrect constructs or undead creatures.
>>
>>47752678
>They all have scales and breathe fire

No they don't.

Also Werewolves aren't Gods. Neither are Wendigo. What a stupid man.

>Power levels aren't characteristics
>Like, being a God has nothing to do with power
>It's just a title that means nothing
>I'm so much smarter than everyone, why can't they see that words don't matter?
>>
>>47752725
What the fuck are you talking about? You were the one who made the fucking argument that fictional races have standards most people accept. You're saying that the average joe would say dragons have hair rather than scales and don't have any breath powers? This whole post of yours is you defeating your own arguments. Nowhere did I claim werewolves or wendigos were Gods.

This is just me trying to make sense of your engimatic-ass post that collapsed in on itself.
>>
>>47752676
>>47752704

It's way more bad ass to True Rez the player and have him hunt down the Wendigo that hijacked his body and is running around strangling niggas with it. That's a fucking fantastic plothook.
>>
>>47752762
>you started a my god can beat up your god thread
>no where did I claim they were gods
>You're saying average joe would say dragons have hair rather than scales and don't have any breath powers

And you claim that he's defeating his own arguments. You literally identify with an archetype of what a dragon is while simultaneously rejecting that werewolves have an established power level. I've not seen levels of ass hurt from being blown the fuck out in ages.

>>47752767
I'm totally stealing this hook.
>>
>>47748179
>>
>>47752780
I'm going to start over because you don't speak English.

My God can beat up your God was a parody of my dad can beat up your dad, only a bit more /tg/ themed. That clearly went over your head. It was a mockery of you taking an argument of whether Wendigos were more dangerous than Werewolves seriously.

You flipped your fucking argument because you knew you lost it two or three posts back. From the beginning I agreed with and never argued the notion that certain creatures have characteristics applied to them. Dragons are reptilian, for example, and werewolves are mammalian and often black in color. What I was saying is that Dragons or Werewolves can be weak or strong and that has nothing to do with anything else. That's my argument. This thread is pointless because the characteristics are what make a race, not their relative power. Some Wendigos would beat Werewolves and vise-versa.
>>
>>47752818
Wendigos are way more dangerous than werewolves, just like dragons are repitilian and werewolves are mammalian.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with that. I suppose it's the werewolf fetish.
>>
>>47752867
I guess being so consitently unable to understand what you're trying to say that I give up arguing with you means you win. Congrats.
>>
>>47752818
It's hilarious that you think strength isn't a characteristic but you accept that hairy and fire breathing is. Gods are literally defined by their power, as are most mythical creatures. It's why everyone would agree that a Dragon is stronger than a Werewolf.

Only the most debased dicksucking retard would try to argue that a werewolf is stronger than a dragon because some obscure hipster interpretation of a werewolf.

This is why it's totally fine, especially in /tg/ of all places, to have a thread asking if a Wendigo is stronger than a Werewolf, and then for people to look for common and popular references to both creatures to gauge what the perceived "power level" of the creature is.

One of which is frequently an immortal spirit.

Also known as a Wendigo.
>>
>>47752915
>immortal
but they're not, you just have to immolate them until they dissipate
kinda like how werewolves are "immortal" unless you fuck them up with silver
>>
>>47747511
Wendigo
>Blindsight
>Permanent wind walk
>Controls the weather
>Good physical stats
>Mind affecting abilities
>Can turn you into one of them

Werewolf
>Scent at best
>Just some nigger with a crossbow and sword
>Maybe bite you sometimes
>Runs around like a peasant instead of flying
>Can turn you into one of them

Wew
>>
>>47748179
Even better
>be half deamon concieved in an evil ritual
>get bitten by a werewolf and vampire at once
>turn into half-deamon vampire-wolf
>devour a person lost in a woods
>become a vendingo
>said person was Lucius the Eternal
>become Lucius
>do a ritual
>.become a lich
>live your life as a half deamon vampire werendingolich Lucius
>>
>>47753100
Werewolves still age in most fiction, Wendigos don't.
>>
>>47753242
To be fair, werewolf's can leap up tall cliffs, can sense the location of enemies through any conditions, is immune to non holy abilities, regenerates extremely quickly, is able to survive in temperatures far below freezing point, has extremely quick reflexes and has claws which could disembowel anything with just the slightest contact.
I see the fight between a wendigo and werewolf like that scene from indiana jones, the wendigo would try to do fancy shit but the werewolf would just leap at him and cut his body into a million pieces in the same time span that it takes for the first drops of blood to come spurting out of a freshly cut artery.
Basically the wendigo loses.
>>
>>47753362
>Wendigo flies 400 ft into the air and starts using mind affecting abilities on him
>Were wolf with no cliff to leap up is fucked and forced to take it in the ass
>Wendigo feels like a dick and decides to stay 2000 ft in the air and even choose to sleep there if he's keen to.
>Werewolf eventually forced to go to sleep at some point
>Wendigo haunts him in his dreams leaving him no choice but to not sleep until fatigue destroys him or sleep and eventually have his mental faculties shattered
>Wendigo literally has no reason not to do this and this is pretty much how they operate
>Werewolf inevitably develops wendigo psychosis
>Wendigo uses his ridiculous fly speed and strength to drop the defeated werewolf to some remote village where he feeds until he turns into a new wendigo or gets killed by kids with silver arrows
>Really, unless you can fly just as fast or the wendigo intentionally lets you win, you're pretty much fucked since its not really the type of creature that actually needs to physically be there to fight you.
>>
>>47752650
Cockatrices are now monotremes. Checkmate, atheists.
>>
>>47753362
Are you fucking retarded
>>
>>47747511
What system? What mythology? I guessing that in a one on one fight not to the death wending would come on top, but it depends
>>
>>47749012
>God, Native American myth sounds ridiculous sometimes when you say it out loud.
Yes, and?
>>
>>47751330
I thought Wendigos were harmed by sunlight. Hence them only coming out at night.
>>
File: 7661746166_8570c19b43_b.jpg (743 KB, 662x1024) Image search: [Google]
7661746166_8570c19b43_b.jpg
743 KB, 662x1024
>>47747533
BPRD did it a while back.
>>
File: 1440854490980.jpg (1 MB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
1440854490980.jpg
1 MB, 1600x800
I can't see the werewolf winning this one. Maybe my knowledge on the subject is a bit rusty, but while silver is the preferred method, ripping the werewolf into pieces would do roughly the same thing. With Wendigo's, all you can do is burn them, and in some myths not even that is enough.

Wendigo's are pretty high on the list of "monsters you don't want to fuck with".
>>
>>47752350

Pretty sure fire's been the catch-all for killing the supernatural since forever. Most of it, anyway. Not much that survives conversion into ash.
>>
>>47751313

You're an idiot
>>
Okay, so, as has been pointed out earlier, it's unfair to make these comparisons without specifying which iteration of the monsters you're talking about. Why don't we consider the two easiest definitions? The mythological versions, and the modern pop culture versions.

The mythological versions have plenty of variations themselves, but the majority of the myths and folktales can be largely sorted into two archetypes. While stories of people becoming wolves go back to antiquity, the werewolf as a concept (the concept that evolved into the modern pop culture version) was mostly defined in the 15th-18th centuries in western Europe. The mythological werewolf was usually seen as a human sorcerer or witch, in league with the devil, who would turn into a large wolf to attack people or their livestock. For the most part the wolf form was not thought to have any special protections other than being a large and dangerous beast that could turn back into a human and escape detection at will.

The mythological wendigo is largely defined from both European and native sources in the 14th-18th centuries. While, again, there is some variation among tribes, wendigos were largely thought of as human beings transformed by a winter spirit into emaciated giants with hearts of ice, super strength and the ability to create snowstorms. The widespread belief was that they could be killed by mundane means early into the transformation, but afterwards could only be killed by fire.

So, by this metric, the wendigo wins hands down. The sorcerer-werewolf of the late medieval period was mainly a threat due to its duplicity, while the wendigo was a threat due to its ferocious strength and resilience. The werewolf has no access to fire unless he turns back into a human (which provides no guarantee of victory) while the wendigo can rip him apart regardless of his shape. Point goes to the wendigo. Idly, it’s interesting that the best sources we have on both monsters are from the same time ranges.
>>
>>47758800

Pop culture is a bit trickier but I would say we can still make do with some basic archetypes. The pop culture werewolf is, generally speaking, a superhumanly strong, anthropomorphic wolf produced when a cursed human is transformed by the light of the full moon. He is usually only vulnerable to fire or silver and in most fictions other damage is regenerated extremely fast.

The pop culture wendigo is tougher, since the wendigo has not penetrated popular consciousness to the same extent. Most people have never heard of them. Still, perhaps the best one to go with is the wendigo of Algernon Blackwood’s short story of the same name. This is definitely the version the Pathfinder wendigo is based most heavily on, and most modern fiction tends to use an amalgamation of the mythical wendigo and Blackwood’s wendigo. Blackwood’s wendigo was a personification of the call of the wild, a powerful spirit that would call to men venturing through the wilderness. If they answered the call, they would be forced to run with the wendigo, running so fast that both beings take flight and the human’s feet catch on fire. As the man runs through the sky with the wendigo, he slowly transforms into something very much like it. No vulnerabilities are mentioned, but let’s be generous and say in this archetype it is vulnerable to fire, as is its mythological predecessor.
>>
>>47747511
Almost every game I run with a supernatural element to them, I always favor the Windego, maybe because to me the cautionary tale about the dangers of canabilism get me more than the tale of "don't go out at night on a full moon." I know there is more to thr werewolves orgins, so don't get mad.
That or I live out in the Western North America and I am interested in the native people's stories more.
>>
>>47758857

Now things get interesting. Blackwood’s wendigo is described as very large, so it’s probably pretty strong and tough, and we know it’s very fast and can fly. The werewolf is also very tough and very strong. The wendigo might be able to out maneuver it, but it’s unclear if either can do any lasting damage to the other, as neither has access to fire or silver.

The only thing that comes close is the wendigo’s ability to drag victims into the sky, forcing them to run so fast they ignite from friction. This could conceivably injure the werewolf in a way it can’t recover from, but as the werewolf is not a man and has already given in to its bestial nature, the wendigo’s supernatural call and transformative abilities would probably have no effect. As a result, the wendigo would have to grapple with the werewolf in order to force it into the air, and the werewolf would fight the whole time. If the wendigo can be killed by physical trauma it probably would be at this point, but if not then the werewolf is held until its feet burn to stumps. So, neither can probably kill the other, but the wendigo might be able to cripple the werewolf, so I’m calling that a win.

Wendigo > werewolf.
>>
>>47758857
>Blackwood’s wendigo was a personification of the call of the wild, a powerful spirit that would call to men venturing through the wilderness. If they answered the call, they would be forced to run with the wendigo, running so fast that both beings take flight and the human’s feet catch on fire. As the man runs through the sky with the wendigo, he slowly transforms into something very much like it.

That's the most common? I have never heard of that but heard many versions of the cannibal spirit
>>
>>47758857
>Having a nightly stroll past the forest near my house
>Heard footsteps
>Turn around to see a man sprinting at me
>Panic
>He bolts past me and breaks the sound barrier
>Warp drive enabled he shoots into the sky
>Ragdolling through the air leaving a firey tail
>See his legs explode mid air
>wtf
>He transforms in mid air into a supersonic flaming legless beast
>>
>>47758908

I'm just thinking of the versions I've seen in other sources of pop culture. Until Dawn and Ravenous mostly go with the folkloric version. the first big wendigo movie (2001's Wendigo) and another movie in the same vein (The Last Winter) seem to use more of the Blacwood version, as does Pathfinder, and of course the Blackwood version gave rise to Ithaqua in the Cthulhu mythos. Sometimes the wendigo in modern pop culture is also conflated with sasquatch, which can bee seen in some games and movies (Warcraft/WoW and Cabin in the Woods spring to mind).
>>
>>47758874
Don't forget, if were using the pop culture version of the Werewolf, when daylight comes he is returned to a normal human. I don't know how Wendigo's work with daylight, but if they aren't restricted to nighttime then the werewolf is fucked regardless.
>>
>>47759081

Well, in Blackwood's story, and most of the movies, and other sources I can think off, it was largely a creature of the night as well, but there didn't seem to be anything stopping it from appearing during the day.
>>
>>47747511

Werewendigos are the worst.
>>
>>47755564

BPRD's wendigo is very abnormal, though.
>>
>>47759147
Nah, their's is actually the more classic, original depiction. Wendigos with antlers are actually more of a recent invention.
>>
>>47748023
Since when are werewolves ONLY harmed by silver, as an exclusive? Pretty sure if you threw one in a non-silver woodchipper, we would still take hefty damage.
>>
>>47748339
What if wendingo had silver lining?
>>
>>47759195
>Since when are werewolves ONLY harmed by silver, as an exclusive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlWegS2sS0
>>
>>47748330
Gaaay
>>
>>47759191

Traditional wendigos don't have fur, and don't specifically target murderers, kill them, and absorb their souls while releasing whatever soul was previously in them. And Daryl was abnormal even for a Mignolaverse wendigo, in that somehow an innocent man's spirit had gotten trapped inside. BPRD wendigos lack a ton of the significant mythical attributes, including the heart of ice, being a physically warped human, spirit possession, and endless cannibalism of any human, among other things.

Also, while they show that wendigos in that universe are scared of fire, I don't think they ever said if they could be hurt or killed by it.
>>
>>47747544
Never heard about wendigos to be honest.
Except in Bloodborne with the Vicar. That was a really cool looking one.
>>
>>47759195

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkIRE1TIf8
>>
>>47752252

Fucking hell, BPRD is so God damn good.
>>
>>47747625
>>47747878
>>47748023
>>47748091
>>47748330
>>47751161
>>47752350

Where the fuck did you get this shit up from? Silver works extra-well on anything supernatural according to a bunch of European folklore, such that it got roped in for nearly everything from alps to vampires. But there's fuck all that suggests werewolves are magically invulnerable to everything else, apart from modern fictional depictions that are consciously made up, rather than folkloric.
>>
File: Grizzly_Gorilla.jpg (190 KB, 1314x849) Image search: [Google]
Grizzly_Gorilla.jpg
190 KB, 1314x849
I think the more important question is who would win in a fight between a grizzly bear and a silverback gorilla.
I think the Grizzly would win.
>>
>>47759396
Grizzlies are weak to silver though.
>>
>>47759394

From what I've ready, the supernatural associations with silver were historically about it being used in alchemy or to make amulets that ward off evil or bad luck and the like. The idea of it being used in a weapon that can harm supernatural beings doesn't appear before the 19th century.
>>
>>47759396

Twice the size, wider jaw gape and hooked claws. I think I'll give it to the grizz
>>
This reminds me, I need to post a followup to the Wendigo Apocalypse thread from two weeks back. Maybe tomorrow. There was some neat stuff there I want to revisit.
>>
>>47752518
Looks like something out of Thief.
>>
>>47759467

Hence the comment that silver works extra well on the supernatural. I agree that its weaponization is a modern construction
>>
>>47759526

Yeah, and as mentioned earlier, most movies, games, and books that feature werewolves who are vulnerable to silver given them a Wolverine style healing factor to deal with other injuries. The idea that their skin is just bulletproof isn't one I've seen very often.
>>
>>47759560
Shouldn't bullets stay in the wound then?
>>
>>47759602

Maybe the regrowing tissue pushes them out? You got me.
>>
>>47759635
It shouldn't work like that. The skin should regorw first, as it was damaged first, thus sealing the bullet in, and needing later extraction.
>>
>>47759394
>>47759467
Bear in mind that silver was used as a deterrent or a ward against supernatural entities. A Werewolf, in its earlier incarnations, was a curse. Not the person being cursed, but the entity itself was a curse or a blight on the land.
The person infected would serve both as punished, and as a punishment to those around them. The curse had to be purged or lifted...or not. Some stories have the afflicted change and forever walk the land as a wolf with no going back, others have the person tortured or cleansed (as a human) to expel the evil.
As a wolf though, they were unstoppable, acting more as a force of nature (curse on the land) than anything else.
Killing a werewolf, in old folklore, was tantamount to "killing" a ghost. It couldn't be done.
>>
>>47759712

That makes no sense. Outside of stories like Lycaon or Sigmund and the wolf skins, most folkloric werewolves were totally willing to be turned into monsters, and did it of their own volition. I guess you could say they were "cursed" because they were thought to have sold their soul to Satan for this power, but they weren't thought to be invulnerable. There were a ton of werewolf trials in France, Switzerland, and Germany in the late medieval period, and they handled suspect werewolves the same way they handled witches: torture and fire. They definitely thought they could kill werewolves.
>>
>>47747511
Obviously a wendigo. There is no folklore about "facing" wendigo, wendigo fucking eats you and there's nothing you can do about it. Wendigo are simply not depicted as something you can fight.
>>
>>47759656

I guess it all depends on where the bullet ends up. People can survive having bullets stuck in them, it's happened before. President Andrew Jackson had a bullet from a duel embedded in his chest for most of his life.
>>
>>47759396
Grizzly is much larger and has claws. Obvious outcome is obvious.
>>
>>47759790

That's not true. There are plenty of Algonquian myths about killing wendigos, via a variety of methods, although usually shamans were called in for the really powerful wendigos.
>>
>>47759656
Why? When you get hurt the skin regrows last.
>>
>>47749012
You should try african myth. Or really anything thought up by indigenous people.
>>
>>47759856
Exactly what I said.

>>47759801
Yeah, but if the werewolf is shot at a vulnerable point (like an articulation, or if the bullet ends up IN an organ), it might causes a heavy wound despite not being silver.
>>
>>47759394
Silver actually doesn't show up a whole lot in european myth, It's usually iron, blessed things, specific plants or water. Silver is a modern addition.
>>
>>47759907
But how can the skin regrow first, if there's a fucking hole in it? The deeper tissues need to reform first, pulling the edges of the wound together and expelling the bullet in the process.
>>
>>47759864

It's not like myths cooked up by western civilization are any less crazy

>Zeus golden showering a lady to sire Perseus
>Loki getting fucked by a stallion and giving birth to an eight legged horse
>Elisha summoning bears to kill the kids making fun of his bald spot
>>
>>47759712
Werewolves were usually just monsters. Sometimes they had an association with undeath, being what happens when certain bad people like witches or murderers weren't killed/buried properly. You get a general sense there was no sympathetic element; they were just evil that for some reason took the form of a wolf. I guess we just hated wolves that much
>>
>>47759964
Because it's a fucking werewolf.
And the muscles wouldn't expell the bullet, it would close around it.
>>
>>47759969
>It's not like myths cooked up by western civilization are any less crazy
>western civilization
Native american is as west as you can get you know
>>
>>47759981
It's not the muscles it's the regrowing tissue. Also why on Earth would the werewolf heal in such a retarded way, when it can heal in a much more efficient way? The "it's magic" argument swings both ways.
>>
Skinwalkers would wear both a wendigo and a werewolf like a fur coat.

YENALDOOSHIS RULE!
>>
>>47760000
>why on Earth would the werewolf heal in such a retarded way
Because magic is dumb and not suited for firearms? You can pull an arrow out of your wound, but a bullet is something else. Even with a crazy regeneration power, you'd still get hurt badly.
>>
>>47760036

Skinwalkers are just old-school folkloric werewolves, evil sorcerers who can assume animal shape. The only substantial difference is they could do more than one animal.
>>
>>47760068
>Enhanced healing doesn't work like natural healing because of reasons
>this is somehow more logical than the opposite
>>
>>47758874
>the wendigo forces the werewolf into the air
>friction ignites the werewolf's feet
>because it's a ball of fur the whole wolf starts to burn, but doesn't die because regeneration from whatever apparently
Wouldn't it make the Wolf a winner then? or the wendigo just drops it and flies away
>>
>>47759602
Does it matter? Having a loose bullet in your tissue somewhere isn't a big deal.
>>
File: Blorp.jpg (8 KB, 198x255) Image search: [Google]
Blorp.jpg
8 KB, 198x255
>>47760455
Except if it's in an articulation.
That's why wendigos>werewolves.
>>
white man : native american :: werewolf : wendigo

white man > native american

therefore

werewolf > wendigo

Having some stone-age dipstick claim you are hot shit means nothing. If wendigos were so dangerous, how come there were still Indians to kill when we showed up? Don't give me any 'wendigos aren't real shit', because I'm pretty sure that native mythology doesn't say 'actually the wendigos killed us all and we don't really exist'. Mythological wendigoes had to be more survivable than white people and a werewolf is basically a white person plus the ability to turn into a wolf and various other neat tricks.

tl;dr imperialist european capitalism was the real monster all along
>>
File: 1446860610169.jpg (18 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1446860610169.jpg
18 KB, 224x225
>>47760535
>>
>>47759997

As east as you can get, I think you mean. They're derived from the Eastern Diaspora via the Bering Strait
>>
>>47753290
>Get infested with a larval Illithid
>>
>>47760535

The werewolf winning my "donating blankets" to the wendigo would probably be the most hilarious resolution to this conflict.
>>
>>47748359
>You thought it would be a werewolf, but it was me, Dio!
>>
>>47748412

So, bling vs. dope rhymes?
>>
>>47760535
10/10
>>
>>47752767
>>47752780

So what if the resurrected guy fails again and now there's two windogoes running around with his face? Three?

"You keep coming back and you keep failing. When does it become too many windigoes, Steve? I don't care if it's your campaign story quest, just admit you need help on this one."
>>
>>47761562

>Turns into a very special episode about accepting help from others.
>Ends up being the GM's intention all along.
>>
>>47758908

>both beings take flight and the human’s feet catch on fire. As the man runs through the sky with the wendigo, he slowly transforms into something very much like it.

That's like, metal as fuck.
>>
>>47747511
>Whats a more dangerous creature to face? A Wendigo or a Werewolf?

A wendigo, because the average person knows the gist of what a werewolf is capable of, including their weakness to silver, but has never fucking heard of a wendigo, so they'd just be fucked.

Also
>who's stronger, this character that isn't real or this character that isn't real?
>>
>>47761790
So, the right number of windigoes is when there's one for ever member of the Sentai team they then transform into in order to fight them?

Then all the windigoes morph into a giant one for robot fight?

I've been playing too much Chroma Squad.
>>
>>47761886
That game is fun.
>>
File: IMG__201606165__072819.jpg (145 KB, 493x304) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201606165__072819.jpg
145 KB, 493x304
>>47747511
My nod is to the werewolf.

All this talk about wendigos and a simple bear trap can take one out.
>>
>>47747511
If we're going by the version that werewolves can only be harmed significantly by fire and Wendigos may only truly be injured or slain by fire. Then neither can truly harm each other and the whole conversation becomes rather silly.

If we accept that massive damage from either party can kill or maim the other (and the fact that they are both powerhouses in their own right) the question becomes the same factor that decides so many high power encounters.

Who won initiative?
>>
>>47747511
D O T S
E N H E
P E T
E T
N T
D I
S N
G
>>
All this talk about Wendigos makes me want to play some tabletop. Anyone have a copy of the Cold Dead Hand adventure for Delta Green?
>>
>>47762516

Dots enhe pet et nt di sn g?
>>
are were wolves undead?
>>
>>47759997
>Native american is as west as you can get you know

Not in political science and sociology circles they're not.

Blame Europeans for continuing to call themselves The West like they're not dead-center of the fucking map because SOMEBODY decided to make his home town the vertical center of the world and the rest of the world just uses their maps because reasons.
>>
>>47765196
To be fair, the pacific ocean is a pretty convenient way to divide the map.
>>
>>47759396
That burr would fucking shrek the gorilla.
>>
>47764642

They aren't undead initially but they can be, In several european countries if you didn't separate the head from the body of a dead werewolf it came back as an undead blood dinker, which is why their term for vampire and werewolf is the same word: their werewolves became vampires after death. Initially most vampires became wolves if they shifted, they didn't start becoming bats in the popular imagination until vampire bats were found in south america.
>>
>>47755293
I think that's only in Until Dawn. Otherwise in the far north there would be weeks at a time where you'd be totally safe from Wendigos and that doesn't sound right.
>>
File: c020.jpg (264 KB, 697x482) Image search: [Google]
c020.jpg
264 KB, 697x482
>>
>>47747511
wendigo, and wendigo.
werewolves can be taken out with silver anything, or decapitation or impaling the heart. works on most creatures as well. wendigos are a different matter. bullets or other projectiles wouldn't work, decapitation i suppose could. not sure about the heart. there's some shit about knowing it's name makes it unable to hurt you, and there's specific prayers to ward off wendigos.
>>
>>47759969
>ancient greek
>western civilization
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.