[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 125
File: Magic Primer (+1).png (2 MB, 1401x1800) Image search: [Google]
Magic Primer (+1).png
2 MB, 1401x1800
Reanimate edition! (Cackle maniacally as lightning strikes and thunder cracks, preferably on a dark and stormy night. Oh, and shout that "It's alive!")

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
http://digital-art-gallery.com/
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>47706856
>>
Gentlemen, we need a UB evergreen keyword.
>>
File: Tireless Wanderer.png (260 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Tireless Wanderer.png
260 KB, 375x523
>>
File: UUB01c Magus of Whispers.png (203 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
UUB01c Magus of Whispers.png
203 KB, 375x523
>>47737459
>reanimate edition
Well fug, I already posted my black cards recently, so posting singles feels silly. I do have this that I cribbed off another anon a while back. I liked the idea so much that I had to include it in my set.
>>
File: UUB03.png (276 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
UUB03.png
276 KB, 375x523
>>47737522
I actually proposed one in the "welp Skulk failed, now what?" thread a while back.

I dunno if it's really keyword worthy, but it is short, and combat-related, which seem to be prerequisites for evergreen keywords.

It's not actually going in my set, but I may use it someday.
>>
>>47737527
I think he could actually be 1BB maybe. I like him though; he's like a black version of that green Ooze.
>>
>>47737527
When you have an ability that needs quotes inside an ability with quotes, you use apostrophes instead.
>>
File: Corpse Run Hunter.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Corpse Run Hunter.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
Flavor text and finding images is hard.
>>
>>47737561
The biggest problem with Blue and Black is that they are so mechanically distant. Blue is all about soft removal. Black is all about murder. Blue is deceptive. Black is brutal. Maro has said that, even including the enemy-color pairs, Blue and Black have the least in common of all the color pairs. The few times they do have something in common it tends to be in the more complex stuff (stealing from your opponents, for example).
>>
File: RR05 Primal Practitioner.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
RR05 Primal Practitioner.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
>>47737529
Seems like a solid engine for your set, man. I'd draft it.

So, this card turned out to be a nightmare to word, especially with how scarce precedent seems to be, but I think I've got it. Now, should I adjust the costs?
>>
>>47737627
Yeah, I completely agree. We may never see an evergreen keyword for them, but I don't think I did too bad with it. It's deceptive, which is blue, but selfish too, which is black. It's great for switching your unblocked deathtoucher for your blocked weenie, or what have you. It's mostly that it's manipulative, which is very UB. Still, I'm not trying to sell it, so I'll leave it at that. I took a stab at it, and may use it someday, and people are gonna like it or they ain't. But yeah, I always have a ton of trouble with UB mechanics myself. I haven't ever really successfully made one (till now, maybe).

>>47737625
Yes, yes they are.
>card
Well, it doesn't really need green, but I guess I can understand it if you're just trying to make it a bit harder to cast.
>>
>>47737658
>Well, it doesn't really need green,
I didn't want to make a mono-black fight card, and a mono-green zombie wolf would be sort of odd.
>>
>>47737654
Looks like it's worded correctly to me. Should play pretty well, though it telegraphs a big move. That's not a huge problem though; rather, it makes the card more interactive to play against, which is something a lot of us (me included) neglect from time to time. A 2/2 is a generically useful enough body to staple onto it, and it's easily adjusted to a 2/1 if need be.
>>
>>47737627
Frezny could work for UB, but apparently wizards has tested it and frenzy as a mechanic just doesn't "work" for some reason.
>>
>>47737684
Oops, my bad, I meant it doesn't need BLACK. Derp. I do that all the time; I'm sorry to be confusing anon. I understand the tribal consideration though.
>>
>>47737692
Less that it doesn't work but that development hates it.
>>
>>47737654
Oh god, this does sound like a nightmare. Yours probably works, but I really want it to be clearer that its a delayed triggered ability (created by a triggered ability).
>When ~ enters the battlefield, the next time you cast an instant or sorcery this turn, copy that spell. If ~ is a token, copy that spell twice instead. You may choose new targets for the copies.
>>
File: RR04 Riftborne Simulacrum.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
RR04 Riftborne Simulacrum.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>47737744
Sure thing, I can do that. Consider it updated.
>>
>>47737740
It is kinda boring, to be fair. It's also not very blue at all. Dethrone is about as blue as a purely aggressive keyword should get, I think. And even then, it's mainly a BRu keyword.
>>
>>47737692
>>47737740
I'm not sure why Frenzy couldn't work. One of the complaints about skulk is that UB already had too much evasion. Frenzy plays well into that evasion angle. Plus, Frenzy is both simple and combat-oriented.
>>47737778
I think Prowess is arguably more aggressive.
>>
>>47737791
Prowess is and isn't, because it isn't self-contained. You have to play spells and do things to trigger it, which may or may not be aggressive things in and of themselves, and it's useful for blocking too. Frenzy and the like just make the creature better with no outside input necessary, which kinda makes them more aggressive my nature since they still work if you are tapped out or have no cards in hand. Just my viewpoint on it though.
>>
Where are all the files I need to make MSE up to date with recent symbol additions to the game?
>>
>>47737832
On the forums, there's a post that has all the newer templates and files you need, including fonts. If you google search for the M15 template, I think it pops up.
>>
File: MW01 General Mary Fields.jpg (843 KB, 1875x523) Image search: [Google]
MW01 General Mary Fields.jpg
843 KB, 1875x523
Trying to get away from keywords so these guys are probably op as shit
>>
File: Ted Grant Wildcat2.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ted Grant Wildcat2.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>47737832
I don't think MSE stores set symbols for Magic sets. Regardless, new installation files can be found in the forums. Use the link for MSE in the OP, it's not hard to find.
>>
File: Dimir Saboteur.png (214 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Dimir Saboteur.png
214 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47737874
Mechanic causes slow games. Boring stuff.
>>
>>47737879
Well yes. Why wouldn't blue/black want to slow down the game?
>>
>>47737874
-0/-N isn't blue though; that's one of the huge problems with keywords like this. It's also basically diet Wither.
>>
>>47737874
*blocks or becomes blocked

Depending on what other cards you make you may want to gimp their power to make it more fair.
>>
>>47737905
Blue gets flanking (though on literally one card), and this is pretty much the same.
>>
>>47737923
Flanking exists before the current pie, and as you said, it's one card, so it's a pretty weak argument. I just don't think blue should really ever touch -0/-N outside Phyrexadin.
>>
File: Herbert West Reanimator.png (268 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Herbert West Reanimator.png
268 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Fellpact Demon.jpg (45 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Fellpact Demon.jpg
45 KB, 375x523
A 5/5 for 1 mana.
>>
>>47737905
Well, we want to have a non-evasive combat keyword that Blue could conceivably do, and Blue doesn't really get those sorts of things because it hates dealing with resolved creatures.

It can weaken, but a creature that gives blocked creatures -X/-0 is functionally giving itself +0/+X. If it does it on the offense, it's Just Another Evasion Mechanic.

It can bounce, but that's not really allowable for a keyword we expect to see often. You could roll the spirit of bounce into Ninjutsu, which I think is a stellar idea (re-branded under Unveil or Deception), but may be too complicated as a evergreen keyword.

Millstrike and variants are pretty much plain out. They don't play nice with regular creatures and they don't play nice in many sets, which limits its design space.

The other one that I saw pop up before was actually a variant on Regenerate; The poster called it "Withdraw" which pulls the same Regenerate idea of "The next time this creature would die, return it to its owner's hand instead." (i.e. "UB: Withdraw ~.") But I know Regenerate is commonly regarded as a keyworded mistake that's been grandfathered into the game, so I'm not sure how the rest of the world feels about that.
>>
>>47737975
I remember this dude being posted as a planeswalker at some point, I think. I have never seen the movie though; do his creations really turn on him like this?

>>47737987
Interesting choice, but I suspect even with the cost, it'd be a late-game card, and part of some combo that makes choosing either answer the wrong one. I dunno if it'd see print since I suspect a creature like this would have already if it were viable, but that's not a sure thing given what takes so long for us to get/see from them sometimes.
>>
>>47738035
Ninjustu is an ideal solution, but yeah, I doubt they would ever evergreen it for two reasons:
>complexity
>evergreens don't have costs associated with them
These are the two main roadbumps I see. "Withdraw" is a problem because you can't put it on ETB creatures or else it creates a host of terrible situations for the defending player to have to deal with. Do I block this thing that has a nasty ETB and let the player cast it again? This isn't a question you want to force someone to ask themselves on an evergreen keyword frequency level, I don't think.
>>
>>47738064
>evergreens don't have costs associated with them
While I don't disagree, not all evergreens are static abilities and some do often have costs associated with them. Equip and Regenerate are the two main ones that come to mind.
>>
>>47738136
Equip yes. Regenerate no - it is a keyword action, not an ability.
>>
>>47738136
Equip isn't really associated with creatures, but I can't deny Regenerate fitting the bill. Nowadays though, it's on the out, and kinda in the same pseudo-evergreen spot that Protection is in, so it's a grey area. One could argue for Prowess having an unspoken cost associated with it too, even if it's not part of the actual keyword.
>>
>>47738042
>I have never seen the movie though; do his creations really turn on him like this?
Not immediately, but they do at the end. In the short story at least; I also never saw the movie.
>>
File: Malign.jpg (46 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Malign.jpg
46 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47738324
Far too cheap for that effect.
>>
File: AFR_setsymbol.jpg (195 KB, 957x538) Image search: [Google]
AFR_setsymbol.jpg
195 KB, 957x538
Hi guys, I decided to start making my own set. I have no idea where this is going, so I don't expect any particular result from this. I'm just having fun.

The general flavor is pre-colonial Africa. I have no particular knowledge about African myths, I'm just trying to make it feel like it.

Here's what I have so far :

>Feral shift <this> into <that> (action word)
It's a flavoured slang to indicate that a creature can become either a 2/2 bird with flying, a 1/1 rat with deathtouch, a 4/4 bear,... depending on the card. Tracking issues can be prevented by using reminder cards (a la morph)

This mechanic being the focus of the set, it could lead to an original environment with a lot of french vanillas and status quo between armies of same P/T creatures.

>Circle of life X—<cost> (activated ability)
><cost>, Exile this card from your graveyard: put X +1/+1 counter(s) on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

I know it looks like scavenge, but the name didn't fit.
Since a lot of creatures would lose their abilities, I made sure some could be used outside the battlefield. Plus, +1/+1 counters stay on creatures even when they change state, so it seems to be a very fitting mechanic for the set.

>Community X (static ability)
>As you cast this spell, you may tap X untapped creature(s) you control to magnify it.

My take on kicker. Unlike Circle of life, it encourages going wide.

>Depletion (keyword)
>As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a nontoken land. If a land was sacrificed this way, put a Barren land token with "T: Add C to your mana pool" onto the battlefield tapped.

Downside keyword that go with undercosted, splashy spells, showcasing the wrath of mother Nature.
>>
File: AFR_Basic_Tokens.jpg (602 KB, 1350x942) Image search: [Google]
AFR_Basic_Tokens.jpg
602 KB, 1350x942
>>47738542

here's the basics
>>
>>47738630
>Here's the basics
>Literally basic lands
jej
>>
>>47738682

aww come on
>>
>>47738630
bear art in use.

token land is a thing.
>>
File: Lunar Blanket.png (243 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Lunar Blanket.png
243 KB, 375x523
I fiddled with it and ended up with it sitting in the Uncommon slot. I like the design desu.
>>
>>47738630
Back in my day, bears were 2/2 and wolves were 1/1
>>
>>47738884
Seems ok? I wouldn't call it good, because with cmc5 the land upside isn't worth revealing what you drew, especially in blue where that's important as fuck. I also think the raw stats could be higher at cmc5 and multicolored, or it could give a keyword.
>>
>>47738936
I remember the good ol' days.
>>
File: Dream Stab.png (210 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Dream Stab.png
210 KB, 375x523
searchin' for alternatives tom some cards that didn't feel good to play.

I love how this promotes some interesting risk assessment but does it feel black enough to fit into hybrid?

Black has had counterspells in the past, just... not many. It's *like* a "target player discards" card so.....

yeah. I think it'll stick.
>>
>>47737879
kill yourself
>>
>>47738803

I know that, same goes for the bird. I'll find art later.

>>47738936

I get the point, but I need 3/3s and 4/4s so...
>>
>>47738936
that was before maro happened to green power creep
>>
File: Recussant Researcher.jpg (150 KB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Recussant Researcher.jpg
150 KB, 750x1046
>>47717787
>>47717816
>>47717833
What are these cards?

>>47720731
This is great. Probably gonna steal it for a small set/cube.

>>47720742
Not bad, but, a bit boring.

>>47720855
This is an interesting use of time counters.

>>47720897
Really cool card.

>>47721040
>>47721069
This. It's quite a niche card for it to have a drawback (99% of the time).
It could cost 1BB.

Mind posting the art?

>>47721099
White needs so much more of this; it reminds me a lot of stuff I did in my first set, and am doing for the second.

Mind also posting the art?~

>>47721502
+∞ You win the game
+∞ Target player loses the game
+∞ Exile all cards target player owns.
You can't own Urza.

The thread is so active ;-; Forgot to post a reply, and the thread died on me.

>ZOMBIEEES
>>
File: Marsh Wiitigo.jpg (123 KB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Marsh Wiitigo.jpg
123 KB, 750x1046
>>
>>47738542
Don't keyword downsides.
>>
>>47739530
Why not make it an enter the battlefield?
"When ~ enters the battlefield put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard, then put X +1/+1 counters on ~ where X is the number of creature cards put into a graveyard this turn."
On cast triggers are pretty rare, so unless you have a weirdness theme/"size on the battlefield as enters" theme, an enter the battlefield trigger is more common.

>>47739512
You might want to rephrase that second line.
If i get your intention, you could use this:
"Each player that did not sacrifice an artifact, enchantment or land this way, sacrifices another creature."
or if artifacts is the only thing that matters, which gets the flavor along better
"Each player that sacrificed a non-artifact creature this way, sacrifices another creature"

Pretty cool design both,
>>
File: Galzra Warwolf Warchief.png (301 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Galzra Warwolf Warchief.png
301 KB, 375x523
I'm working on making a really stupid retro inspired set.
There will be lots over overcosted crap, niche as fuck hate cards. and a Legendary for every named character.

Not sure what special set specific mechanics I should use though.
>>
>>47740730
>2BBB
>6/6 with an upside
You call that retro? kill self
>>
>>47737529
Oh, I like this.
>>
>>47740766
Ah yes, I guess he should be a 3/4. Put him on the same power level as Gerrad.
>>
>>47740730
If you know for a fact that you're going to get bad cards from these design philosophies, why follow them? I don't think "being retro" should take precedence over the quality of the cards. At least don't apply these ideas to all the cards you do.
>>
File: Return from the Pit5.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Return from the Pit5.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
Here's one last go on this card. If this doesn't work out, I'm just going to shelve it for a while.
>>
>>47741002
This is probably Black/Green more than it is Black/Red, but that's only a minor nitpick, especially if you're trying to make it fit with other cards in the same colors. Black/Red tends to get effects that care about things dying, that exile at end of turn, or things like Morgue Burst or Underworld Cerberus- if stuff comes back, why not do so explosively, or all at once.

Up to you, I totally get the "I've redesigned this so much I'm sick of it", and it's functional as-is.
>>
File: Betsy Braddock Psylocke2.jpg (55 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Betsy Braddock Psylocke2.jpg
55 KB, 375x523
>>47741510
I was thinking BR because of how it ETB attacking. It's similar to things like Cauldron Dance and Swift Warkite though I was thinking about giving it a "it must be blocked" clause, so I might make it BG.

And yeah, I know I'll eventually come back to it later, but trying to mess with it more right now probably would just hurt the card.
>>
File: Blood Possession.png (192 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Blood Possession.png
192 KB, 375x523
old
>>
File: Owen Mercer Boomer2.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Owen Mercer Boomer2.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
Last one before I go to work. I have to say though, sometimes I think I overuse the UR color combination a bit. Oh, and as for this guy, he's the second Captain Boomerang, but most people just call him Boomer. He's a speedster (he's actually Bart's half-brother, long story), and he used his powers to throw boomerangs at super-speed. Not really sure how to translate that exactly to Magic though, so here, the spells are your boomerangs.
>>
File: Deepwood Maro.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Deepwood Maro.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
Anything exciting?
>>
>>47742011

looks p. cool, I think the mana cost is too restrictive, maybe 2GG
>>
>>47742011
It should be "Whenever a card" because it's going to happen more than once. At first, I didn't think this would work, but considering Golgari Brownscale, I think the ability actually works.
>>
File: RR03 Prodigious Pupil.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
RR03 Prodigious Pupil.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
Should Z be 0, or do you think I could get away with 1?
>>
File: Trinitarian Shock.png (212 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Trinitarian Shock.png
212 KB, 375x523
fiddlin' around
>>
File: Morbid Dream.png (215 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Morbid Dream.png
215 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Drowsing Research.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Drowsing Research.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
>>47742040
Right. That makes sense. I guess I didn't think of the distinction.

And yeah, the mechanics support it. But hasn't been done before. That's sort of why I went with it.

>>47742034
It more or less is a better Maro. I don't want to fuck Maro that badly.

>>47742069
I don't really like either option. Making a 1-drop Akroma is a noble goal, but I don't know if it really works without being useless or busted.

>>47742114
I think that wording could be prettier. Something like Punish the Enemy would be cool. Fine as a spell, very good certainly, but sorcery speed keeps it fair.

>>47742178
I've seen this card before. Like, all of it. Different art though, I think. It is a neat idea, but I don't like it in Hybrid.
>>
File: Pious Trident.png (211 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Pious Trident.png
211 KB, 375x523
>>47742259
textboxfix'd sorta thing I think yeah this is better
>>
>>47742069

I think if the power on that card is anything other then 1, it has to by mythic...and even at 1 its massively pushed.
>>
>>47742259
>I don't really like either option. Making a 1-drop Akroma is a noble goal, but I don't know if it really works without being useless or busted.
You have a point. I want to keep it as efficient as possible without crossing the line, though. Would a 2cmc 1/1 be out of line?
>Drowsing Research
Deceptively powerful. Comparable to Retreat to Coralhelm; more linear, but easier to trigger.
>>
>>47742069
agreed with
>>47742400

i would say two keywords, and if power is 1 trample is irrelevant for the most part
>>
>>47742454

nah, 1 power tramplers are the best. Oppenents tend to forget the trample part until something big like Might of Oaks gets slapped on it.
>>
>>47742454
90% of people list their favorite card from Theros as the badger.
>>
File: Eliminate the Competition.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Eliminate the Competition.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
>>47742493
That's more to do with flavor than being a Defiant Elf.

>>47742435
True. Coralheim's strength appears to be primarily its untap ability (at least in real formats), so I'm not terrible worried. I really should double check my old cards against new printings.
>>
>>47742493
>>47742479
for flavor then i prefer menace and haste. the pupil seems cocky and it makes sense that he would rush into battle and only die from overestimating his ability and fighting two opponents
>>
File: Redirect Lightning.png (194 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Redirect Lightning.png
194 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Big Deal.png (241 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Big Deal.png
241 KB, 375x523
still exploring common slot options.

This effect hasn't really been a thing before has it? I mean, just a general one, not a lure effect. Do the colors seem right?

I kind of like this as some sort of pseudofight halfremoval.
>>
File: 180.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
180.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>47742753
The effect has been done before. Your colors seem fine, considering this and Courtly Provocateur.
>>
>>47742848
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>47742535
>a 2-for-1 that sometimes makes you lose the game
at first glance doesn't seem like a card I'd like neither to play nor to play against, but maybe playtests prove me wrong.
on second thought, card advantadge at the cost of life is not that rare in black
>>
File: Aytas Lone Prophet 2.jpg (98 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Aytas Lone Prophet 2.jpg
98 KB, 752x523
I cleaned up Aytas to actually be somewhat decent/playable/make sense in MtG terms.

This is the version I'm happy with- a second version I tried transformed by sacrificing a land and had a Delirium trigger on both sides, but I don't like it as much.
>>
File: Vedalken Duelist.jpg (34 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Vedalken Duelist.jpg
34 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47743247

The mechanic seems solid, but the card itself might need 1U
>>
>>47743328
Anon, that's a real mechanic
>>
>>47737522
>>47737561
I really liked the one that was like Flanking, I think it was called Psychosis.

"Whenever a creature without Psychosis blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn."

Name could be changed but the concept is super solid.
>>
File: Ramilsayf the Sandstorm.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ramilsayf the Sandstorm.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
Have a new-age Hazezon. Can't resist pairing mechanics that never saw the same light of day together.
>>
File: 1324113060751.jpg (8 KB, 167x215) Image search: [Google]
1324113060751.jpg
8 KB, 167x215
>>47743356

Oh, uh...

At least my instincts are okay
>>
File: Hel the Temptress Queen.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Hel the Temptress Queen.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
More potential commanders. This one's a fever-dream combination of a bunch of my favorite cards plus some additional flavor (Dragon Throne of Tarkir + Pyxis of Pandemonium + Underworld Cerberus, for inspiration.)
>>
>>47743612
>9 text lines
ew
>>
>>47743431
Eh, don't worry too much about it. It only ever appeared in Origins, and wasn't that huge of a thing, so it never got too much attention.

>>47743638
It could stand to lose Defender since it's already a 0/1, maybe, and there might be better ways to word it, Pyxis is wordy for what it is.

Going to keep rolling on these custom commanders until I run out of steam. They're a blast to make.
>>
File: Wen Shu the Body and Mind.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Wen Shu the Body and Mind.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>47743785
I'm back, with nine lines of text again! I'm sure this one is hideously broken, but it was everything I could do not to make him a tutor effect on a stick.
>>
>>47744215
>Permanent Will
yeah uh no sir.
>>
File: RR09 Reality Crack.jpg (97 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
RR09 Reality Crack.jpg
97 KB, 752x523
I made a weird giant red thing.
>>
>>47744471
Absolutely dominates limited. And not in a fun way.
>>
File: Sirens of the Abyss.jpg (55 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Sirens of the Abyss.jpg
55 KB, 375x523
>>47744235
Wen Shu is not balanced by any means. I think a far, far, far better wording would involve giving nonland spells in the graveyard flashback for their mana cost, or even adding an additional cost to playing cards from grave (+2 generic mana, 2 life, 3 life, discard a card, etc.)

Meanwhile, a question for anyone who isn't sick of me yet:
Which effect would you prefer to see on a high-cost Grixis Siren legendary creature, of these two?

1 U R/B: Target creature can't attack you or a planeswalker you control this turn and must attack if able.

Or

2URB, T: Exile target attacking creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking target player that doesn’t control it under its owner’s control.
>>
>>47745001
Oops, I didn't actually mean to post the card. Oh well, maybe it'll help to see the effects, I realized a little too late that they were redundant.
>>
>>47744821
It takes nine mana and at least four turns of setup, while also being vulnerable to enchantment removal and most creature removal. It's no worse than something like Ormendahl. I can tweak the costs if necessary.
>>
File: Henriette Voidstone-Clad.jpg (52 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Henriette Voidstone-Clad.jpg
52 KB, 375x523
All right, last one for a bit. I can't quite puzzle through what exactly I want out of a Grixis siren, and I think the second ability, while fun, is probably too clunky.

Like Oloro, but want more Propaganda? Here, try this. Artifact because of flavor and also because that makes her a little easier to remove, given how annoying she is.
>>
>>47745370
It requires 3 mana then 6 mana, which is much much less than 9 mana. As an enchantment it is fairly resistant to removal. And it requires nothing from you but time and mana, unlike Omendahls 5 sacrifices. When you transform you exile 2 creatures and swing for 13 because it doesn't have summoning sickness. It doesnt die to red removal. And it interacts very well with all your counters matters.
>>
File: Algarvian Vagabond.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Algarvian Vagabond.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Lestin Necromancer.png (242 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Lestin Necromancer.png
242 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47743423
Seeing Mugen taken seriously like this kinda makes me laugh. You ever watch Samurai Champloo, anon?
>>
>>47743423
The dash mode on this is fucking nuts and needs to be costed higher.
>>
>>47747024
Sadly, no I haven't. I need to, though.
>>47747069
You have a point. Although this one's intended for Commander- if the Dash cost is commander-tax applicable, I'll need some more words in there...
>>
>>47747492
>You have a point. Although this one's intended for Commander- if the Dash cost is commander-tax applicable, I'll need some more words in there...
You pay command tax when you dash from the command zone, but it returns to your hand if it survives. Then, the next turn, when you dash from hand, you don't pay command tax.
>>
File: Talran Supreme Mechanist.jpg (54 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Talran Supreme Mechanist.jpg
54 KB, 375x523
>>47748082
True. Polishing up some of the posted ones, making some as I go along.

Ramilsayf's dash cost is now 2RRWG, two extra mana, one of which has to be red for Dash.

Sirens of the Abyss now has a reanimation/mind control effect- pay UBR and then get to cast target creature from a grave, paying mana as though it were any color to do so ala Daxos. The second ability forces a player to all-in on attacks, and leaves anything sent your way tapped during their turn.

Wen Shu now changes your maximum hand size to 0 while you have Delirium (and said cards would go to exile on discard), and costs 3UUBB to cast. Has also been made a 2/3.

Henriette now costs CWUB, rather than 1WUB. This is more to fit her color-to-colorless mana fixing ability.

Now have another Experience-based commander, Talran. Blue-Red doesn't have a good artifact commander yet, does it? Not saying she's the one, but it's an idea.
>>
File: Behemoth Silkspinner.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Behemoth Silkspinner.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
Here's an utterly silly one I made based on Tolsimir Wolfblood and some other WG commanders I liked. It might not be worded right, but it's flavor-tastic imo.
>>
>>47748710
>It might not be worded right,
"Might?" It's easier to name the things you got right. Don't worry, I'll give you better wording in a minute.
>>
File: Almeria Angel of Blessings.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Almeria Angel of Blessings.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>47749283
Thanks, m8. Wording rules are the kind of thing that I'll only get better with through practice and support.

Have a simple WU Voltron angel in the mean time.
>>
File: Ephemeral Reveler.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ephemeral Reveler.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
Here's a UG commander. I'm getting pretty tired so expect more errors... and insanity on top of it.

Massive manifests and morphs seem like such a fun theme, but UG is and always will be pure goodstuff rather than "we have a cohesive, totally unique theme", I feel. At least, that's how I felt last time I tried building a cube...
>>
>>47749503
OK, then let me walk you through the changes. First, you can't have Reach and the "seven additional" abilities on the same line. You can't have keywords and non-keyword abilities on the same line period. Heck, there are even some keywords that can't be on the same line (for example, Flash can't be on the same line as Flying). The first line should be
>Reach, trample, vigilance
Or some variant of that, the exact order isn't very important. Also not that there are no periods there.

The wording for the next ability should be
>~ can block an additional seven creatures each combat.
Where ~ refers to the name of the card (this is standard shorthand, and is also used by MSE and MagicCards.info),

I have to admit, I'm a bit miffed that you know about Tolsimir, yet you didn't get the wording for the token ability right. It should be
>Put a legendary 1/1 green and white Human Druid creature token named Aranya onto the battlefield.
Note the order of the colors, and that the legendary supertype comes before the P/T. Also, I would make the name Araña, considering that Magic already uses that weird û for Lim-Dûl.

The last ability as written doesn't work because it doesn't refer to Aranya properly. Also, I'm not a fan of how the abilities that it shold have without Aranya aren't listed separately, which is why I put them at the top. It should be
>As long as you control a creature named Aranya [or Araña], ~ has defender and indestructible.
I don't see any reason for it to lose its other abilities since in most scenarios, if Aranya is on the battlefield, it's not going to be able to attack anyway, thus rendering vigilance and trample useless.

So, the entire card should be
>Reach, trample, vigilance
>~ can block an additional seven creatures each combat.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, put a legendary 1/1 green and white Human Druid creature token named Araña onto the battlefield.
>As long as you control a creature named Araña, ~ has defender and indestructible.
>>
>>47749503
>>47749752
Also note that cards can give abilities to other permanents that refer back to the original card. So, if you wanted, you could say
>When ~ enters the battlefield, put a legendary 1/1 green and white Human Druid creature token named Araña onto the battlefield. It has "~ has defender and indestructible."
Just pointing that out. Though, I think I would just stick to what I said previously, that is, a separate ability on the original card to check whether or not you have the token.
>>
>>47749503
>>47749579
Oh yeah, might as well go through your other cards. I'm much better at wording than balance, so you'll have to rely on other anons for the latter.

>Banner Boobs
I don't like how it's an enchantment itself so that it automatically becomes a 2/5.
>Aura enchantments
Ah yes, Auras that are enchantments. As opposed to all those Auras that are not enchantments, right? Also note that not all Auras are going to benefit from having Totem Armor, like Curses. Just use the wording from Umbra Mystic.
>Auras attached to permanents you control have totem armor.

>Drunk Loli
First ability is fine. Second ability is messed up. While the game will remember what was Manifested, it's easier to just refer to face-down creatures. Also, it should specify that the creature is returned to its owner's hand. Just use
>Whenever a face-down creature with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, return it to its owner's hand.
>>
File: Bargain with Griselbrand.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Bargain with Griselbrand.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
Does this seem like a balanced tutor ability?
>>
>>47750080
The type restriction is really weird. I'd rather just make it a symmetrical Demonic.
>Each player may search his or her library for a card and put that card into his or her hand. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
>>
>>47750150
I don't like the idea of an opponent just grabbing the counter for whatever you get, this restriction makes it much harder to do that while also making a reasonable downside to the card.
>>
File: Mirror Shard.png (174 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Mirror Shard.png
174 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Retroactive Continuity2.jpg (53 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Retroactive Continuity2.jpg
53 KB, 375x523
One of my few big mythics. The original version was a typical one-sided Time Twister effect, with the gimmick of also returning your exiled cards to your library as well. Decided to change it to this though. Really have no idea how to cost this, for obvious reasons.

>>47750416
Eh, if you say so.

>>47750427
I swear there's a real Magic card that's similar to this. Seems cool. Art is pretty weird though.
>>
File: Sirens of the Abyss.jpg (58 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Sirens of the Abyss.jpg
58 KB, 375x523
>>47749752
That's true, I didn't think about Defender essentially nullifying the need to have two "modes".

>>47749883
Shit, I forgot about that, it should be a 0/3, or have "other".
Also, yeah. You can definitely tell I was starting to get tired, normally I'd at least catch the "enchantment" bit. I still can't decide if having totem armor universally is a bug or a feature, but it should probably be what you mentioned.

Also yeah, yet again I overcomplicated things, remembering manifest isn't something I even want it to do.

Have the updated Sirens, before I sleep.
>>
File: Talia al Ghul Demons Heir3.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Talia al Ghul Demons Heir3.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
Here's Talia. Again. Starting to wonder if I should change the recursion ability to something simpler. Maybe even just Regen. Definitely want to keep the Karmic Justice 2.0 ability though.

>>47751397
Yeah, go to bed then come back later. It'll be best to get rest before going back to cardmaking.

>Sirens
I swear I've seen these characters before. Eh, doesn't matter. Abilities should be
>[...] cast that card, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast it.
and
>2UBR, T: Creatures target player control attack this turn if able. Until end of turn, whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Feels clunky. Abilities don't really go together that well. Also, you could probably just make this UB and cut out Red entirely.

>totem armor
Well, there's literally no point on having it on anything other than permanents you control. Just to give you an example, some Auras you want on your opponent's creatures. Do you really want those creatures to have the benefit of Totem Armor?
>>
>>47750585
Time Twister? More like Time Waster. This card simply shouldn't exist. At least with Karn you have to a) build up to it over several turns and b) it quite likely puts you ahead in a position to quickly win the game.

>>47751628
Have the recursion somehow depend on the first ability, rather than just an additional unrelated upside.
>>
>>47751628
Yeah, headed off. Sirens was a fucking nightmare to do, ability wise, because everything I could think of overlapped and they -still- do. I'll probably wind up reworking them yet again to be more Siren-y, maybe have a BR-style trick like Auger Spree, something.
>>
File: Fin Fang Foom.jpg (52 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Fin Fang Foom.jpg
52 KB, 375x523
>>47751670
>Retroactive Continuity
Well, back to the drawing board. OK, so my original idea was to mainly focus on the fact that it would recur stuff in exile (excluding other RetCon cards). I have to ask, is that itself still worth designing a card for? Or should I focus on something else entirely?

>Talia
Hmm, good point. How do you think it should work, if something enters an opponent's graveyard from the battlefield? My only other idea is to ditch the recursion and put First Strike or something on it. And I'm really starting to realize that I sometimes rely way too much on keywords to add value to creatures instead of something that actually makes sense with the other aspects of the cards.
>>
>>47751760
If you see this tonight, I don't want you to do answer this now, you really should just go to bed. But are you basing this card on characters from a manga or anime or something? Because telling us about them would help us recommend abilities.
>>
>>47751761
Not that anon, but I think part of the issue with RetCon is that it puts exiled cards back into the game; something that should only be happening due to a feature of the card in question, instead of turning the exile zone into a bank or holding area. I know Suspend does that, but I kinda doubt we'll see it again given how adamantly they've been against making exile so easily worked with or around. That anon has a point that flat out restarting the game is just kinda meh, especially if the only difference is that you now have 59 cards and they have 60. You have.. slightly thinned your deck. Yay? Does that make sense?

>Talia
Maybe make her hand out counters each time there's a trigger on her first ability? Then she can either:
-Tap to destroy something that has one of those counters on it
-be recast from your yard if there is still something on the battlefield with one of those counters on it
I know you are using other kinds of counters, so maybe not, but then again, this is a Legend we are talking about, and you're not making a set, so it shouldn't be so offensive as it normally would be to mix counters.

>Fin Fang Foom
With as egotistical as I recall him being, that ability makes sense. Still, it's REALLY powerful. Tone it back a touch maybe? I'm not too sure how, but maybe make it based on CMC or something? 7 CMC worth of nonland permanents they control? Still really strong that way.
>>
File: Boston Brand Deadman2.jpg (93 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Boston Brand Deadman2.jpg
93 KB, 752x523
>>47752023
Well, technically exile is still used as a holding area, just temporarily. As for RetCon, I was kinda thinking it would be useful if it was obvious you weren't going to win the current match or you were just losing badly. I mean, is a reset button really just that plain bad? Oh, and the original idea was to shuffle everything into the library, so it's not like the exiled stuff was getting cast for free or put back into the hand or something. But I do see your point.

>FFF
Tie to CMC? I don't even know how the fuck that would work. At least not on combat damage. Man, I'd have to come up with some sort of activated ability that kept track of damage. How would you even
Nevermind, my overactive mind just came up with something.
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put that many charge counters on it.
>X, Remove X charge counters from ~: Gain control of target nonland permanent with converted mana cost X or less. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
Any good? Well, this is just a first draft, so I guess the question is if this is good enough to pursue and refine.

>Talia
Eh... That is interesting, but I'm not sure about using those abilities for Talia. I dunno, I just really like the Karmic Justice 2.0 ability. I'll definitely be sure to save your suggestion though.

Oh, and speaking of first drafts, here's this. I very recently had the idea of representing Deadman through a DFC, so... yeah. It's basically a cross between Soul Seizer and Bestow. So, Deadman has his own P/T and abilities, then when he possesses a creature, that creature gets a bonus to P/T and has those abilities. Also, I just want to make sure it's clear that the activated ability is supposed to work as protection for both abilities, as well, as a bit of a quick punishment when used on the enchanted creature.
>>
>>47752155
"When Purple Underpants deals combat damage to a player, you gain control of any number of target nonland permanents that player controls with total converted mana cost 7 or less."
>>
>>47752229
Eh, that does work... But I usually like to have abilities that scale with power. However, that might just be too difficult. I'll put your ability on an iteration of FFF.
>Purple Underpants
Please tell me you read Nextwave.
>>
>>47752155
>Deadman
>Prowess
I dunno much about him, aside from BatB Deadman, but I don't recall him really doing much except possess people. Though, this isn't a bad use of a DFC, honestly. I just dunno about it in its entirety.

>Talia
Well, that's fine too.

>FFF
I think it works just fine, and sounds fine, but I can't speak for anyone else. I just think stealing seven permanents a swing is over the top, even at 8 mana. I mean Emrakul was only forcing you to sac six at 15 mana; FFF was 8 and stealing seven.
>>
>>47752155
Possession would end up in the graveyard before it got to transform back.
>>
>>47752344
Ignore that card; I didn't mean to post it. Wasn't done anyway.
>>
File: RB03s Omen of Ruination.png (236 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
RB03s Omen of Ruination.png
236 KB, 375x523
>>47752344
>>47752375
Here's the actual working version of that card. Way different but I kinda liked the idea behind it. I dunno if it's too much goodstuff though, since it enables Madness so hard. I mean it's not as though there are TONS of Madness cards, so sometimes you might have a hard choice, so the discard bit should be a drawback as often as it's a good thing. Also, it REALLY sucks in multiplayer, which is odd since many cards that hit "each opponent" get better.
>>
File: Jennifer Walters She-Hulk10.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Jennifer Walters She-Hulk10.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>47752229
>>47752271
Yeah, just going to use your wording. Time to keep things simple. Well, simpler than I usually do them.

>>47752023
Reconsidering your proposed ability, I think I'm going to use it on a Ghost Rider card instead.

And here's Shulkie again. Personally, I'm liking how the card plays with the +1/+1 counters it gets.

>>47752344
>Deadman
Sometimes I break from lore to make good cards. Either way, I'd still want him to have Flying.

>Omen
Ah, it was you. Back to making cards, eh? Feel any better? As for the card itself, I think it should be rearranged to something like Death Frenzy. Though... the temporary +1/+1 feels kinda odd. But that might just be me. I think I'd make it something like getting a counter, or gaining life, or drawing a card. Whatevs, I think the wording should be more like
>For each opponent, creatures that player control get -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures he or she controls. Whenever a creature dies this turn, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

>>47752368
Ugh, fuck Bestow and ability-ending effects. Shit. Eh, I'll think of something later.

>>47752419
I want to point out that, technically, you're just talking to yourself, since both posts you linked to are your own.

As for the card, note that Baneful Omen is 4BBB and essentially just does the reveal and lifeloss bit without a draw. Though considering the new Sorin, i think Wizards considers Baneful to be overcosted. Really no idea on how to cost it. I think I'd make it something like
>At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. Any player may pay life equal to that card's converted mana cost. If no one does, draw a card.
Or something like that, i don't know, I'm getting tired.
>>
File: Cursed Fiend.png (271 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Cursed Fiend.png
271 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47752466
>Shulk
I like this version. It feels "Hulky", it feels "Lawyery"... nicely done. Cost should be appropriate too.

>Ghost Rider
As a Treason effect maybe? Should be interesting.

>Omen
Not talking to myself, just referencing posts to create context. I ditched the first one because it was too similar to pic related (in my mind) and I didn't want a ton of board wipes. Also, the new version doesn't draw, it buries the revealed card if you don't pitch something to it, so you lose that as your next draw. I felt like it needed a drawback that could also be a strength since it was so much cheaper than Baneful Omen, which I also feel is slightly overcosted. As for your idea, were I to do a version that drew cards, I'd use it, and probably make it UB.
>>
File: MBR02s Mass Suicide.png (231 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
MBR02s Mass Suicide.png
231 KB, 375x523
>>47752529
>pic related
Maybe I too, am tired.

>>47752466
Also yeah, feeling less burned out. Well, on Magic design anyway. Forgot to respond to that bit.

>>47752501
"then puts one of those cards on top of your library and the other on the bottom of your library" comes off as a bit more eloquent to me. "Rest" seems to imply this number can be altered somehow, which comes off as odd to me.
>>
>>47752529
>>47752419
The discard clause is pure upside. It doesn't matter if you replace a random card with another random card, but being able to keep it on top (even if costly) has value. Plus you can madness off of the discard.
>>
>>47752562
That you can. So 2BB is to low then? Also as I pointed out, there are going to be times you might not have a Madness card to pitch, so it isn't all golden. Still, I can increase the cost if need be. 4BB? That's one less than Baneful Omen.
>>
File: Thomas Tresser Nemesis.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Thomas Tresser Nemesis.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
Another mythic. The character impersonates people, so with this card, rather than impersonate a creature, he impersonates a player. If he makes contact and you pay mana. I was playing around with the cost a little, and I'm thinking that having it so that, playing on-curse, the ability can't be used on the turn after you cast it. Oh yeah, and is it good enough to just sac the card? Or should I exile it? Mindslaver just sacs, so I thought it would be OK here.

>>47752529
Eh, I dunno. I personally don't feel like the ability is enough of a drawback to justify the difference in cost. Though I'm not really sure, because of how it scales and behaves differently in multiplayer games.

>>47752555
Oh cool, this one again. I really like seeing this in BR.
>>
>>47752590
I think you should just change how it triggers. Move it to your upkeep, so the card doesn't behave differently in different environments.
>>
>>47737987
Feels broken with unsummon effects.
I get a 5/5 or you keep paying life over and over again.
>>
>>47752620
I can do that. Give me a moment to mock something up.

>>47752613
>Nemesis
I think he's fine. He has to hit first, then you have to have five open mana to get the effect. And, you can't do it the moment it drops. If anything, you MIGHT have to make the trigger cost 4BB, but I'm not sure that's necessary really.

>Mass Suicide
Thanks.

>Omen
Yeah, gonna go with >>47752620's suggestion and redo when it triggers so it's not so messy.
>>
File: Walk with Rythm.png (222 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Walk with Rythm.png
222 KB, 375x523
>>
File: UBR02c Prophet of Dementia.png (260 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
UBR02c Prophet of Dementia.png
260 KB, 375x523
>>47752787
Plays nice with Retrace, but requires a fair amount of setup first. It could be good with self-mill or other cards, but even then, I'm not sure how good it would ultimately be. I have to give you props for using Retrace though; you don't see it very often in these threads.
>>
File: Tilia Withering Oracle.jpg (34 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Tilia Withering Oracle.jpg
34 KB, 375x523
bad at walkers
>>
>>47752840
You could probably just say "if that card has madness, you may cast it for its madness cost". Though I don't care too much for that clause as it just feels like a manufactured power boost.
>>
>>47752501
The ability is fateseal, just copy the wording for that
>>
>>47752960
I'll make the change; it does sound a bit better. Shame it's not your cuppa though; I'll admit if it were just a one-off it wouldn't have the madness rider, but it finds itself in this set so... I can see your point though. I learned a long time ago you can't please everyone with every card, but hopefully there's at least something for everyone in the entirety of the set as a whole.

That does make me wonder though, since it is a bit of a power boost, do you think it's too much?
>>
>>47752943
Oops, forgot my feedback

I'm not a fan of PWs gaining loyalty counters on every turn. Fatesealing into draw seems outrageously good. As this card is, it's 3UB: fateseal 4 then draw 4 cards. That's... yeah. Yeah. The ult is like, a non-entity compared to that. Don't feel bad though, I am bad at walkers too.
>>
File: RR09 Reality Crack.jpg (98 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
RR09 Reality Crack.jpg
98 KB, 752x523
I made the big red thing more difficult to make big and red.
>>47752840
I disagree with >>47752960, I think the effect is really cool. The time restraint and cast-from-exile ability is a remarkably smooth way to represent "madness" from the library, and the flavor is spot-on.
>>
File: Put Down.png (202 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Put Down.png
202 KB, 375x523
RIP thread
>>
>>47740066
>Why not etb?
I just think the card should etb with the counters, and not have the ability be an etb trigger.
There is no reason, and on cast is indeed rarer, but I like making some cards with abilities that have some effects that can't be countered.

>Researcher
Hm. I'll change it to your wording + "a creature."; doesn't change much of the effect, and reads neater.

>>47741002
What's return of the pit?

Pretty cool tho! :3

>>47741734
Hm. I'd do Prowess, FS. Looks pretty cool for some matchups.

>>47741893
Hm. Looks about right.

>>47741990
>That dialogue bubble.

>>47742011
That's a cute card. has some more uses than regular Maro.

>>47742069
Haste, menace, first strike, trample.

I feel
It's fucking broken, son. Probably 1/1 Mythic.

>>47742114
Do creature and player. Put the lifegain on another line.

>>47742178
I remember this card. Could cost W/B.

>>47742259
It's pretty cool, but as >>47742435 said, it's quite powerful.

>>47742324
Look at that, I made a review, didn't post it, but did exactly what I said.

>>47742535
That could cost 1BB and be a destroy creature.

>>47742570
>Redirect
>Choose new targets for target spell.
>etc

>>47742753
Eh. Could be monogreen.

>>47743247
Seems good enough.

>>47743423
... Sac those tokens, make him 3/3, the dash cost 4cmc too, and you've got a card.

>>47744215
'Tis a bit too good mang. Second ability alone is insane.

>>47744471
I like it. Especially the name Chronolossus. Mind. I disagree with >>47744821 It's really strong for limited, but it's a really slow card aswell.

>>47745001
Definitely a horror.

>>47749503
Hm. I'd switch some things around with your card.
>Almeria, Angel of Blessings [2WU]
>2/2
>Flying
>Enchanted creatures you control have hexproof.
>Auras attached to permanents you control have totem armor.
>>
File: Heliotropism.jpg (125 KB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Heliotropism.jpg
125 KB, 750x1046
>>
File: Woemaul the Infant Killer.png (247 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Woemaul the Infant Killer.png
247 KB, 375x523
>>47755495
Same guy as this symbol. I actually have several blocks planned (nevergonnafinish obviously but heyo) and some mechanics worked out.

It's all a big story covering a total of 4 blocks, with continuous characters. Etc.

Anyways here's a card from Block 2. The mechanic of "insanity counters" is present on many cards and do mostly the same thing (lose 1 life on use for each insanity counter you have). But some do other things, like discard and whatnot.
>>
File: The Slow Descent.png (217 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
The Slow Descent.png
217 KB, 375x523
>>47755776
A common example. Pretty beefy card desu but I feel the reward for low insanity has to be high enough to justify it.
>>
File: Helmet of Fate.jpg (38 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Helmet of Fate.jpg
38 KB, 375x523
>>47755539
>What's return of the pit?
In DC comics, there's this thing called the Lazarus Pit. It can be used to revive the dying and the dead, with side effects involving temporary and increased strength. This card is supposed to represent the creature coming back. Though I've changed it a bit now. It's more or less the same, but it gives a P/T bonus instead of counters (increased strength), and it has a clause that the creature has to be blocked this turn (insanity).

>>47755539
>Hm. I'd do Prowess, FS. Looks pretty cool for some matchups.
Cool, thanks.

>>47755539
>>That dialogue bubble.
He's not exactly a popular character, OK? I have to make do with what I can find. But what do you think of the card itself?

>>47753610
I'm kinda surprised you didn't make the backside rely on those counters. Like
>0/0
>~ gets +1/+1 for each time counter on it.
>Whenever ~ attacks, you may have it deal damage equal to the number of time counters on it to another target creature. If you do, remove a time counter from ~. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

>>47755495
Always liked this one.

>>47755771
"Each" creature, holy shit. This seems incredibly powerful.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
>>47755539
The idea of the sacrifice is that it if your opponent chooses their shittiest dude, you don't get burned for much. It might trick them to kill something they shouldn't or if they choose to sac a spawn or saproling or something, it basically just cycles.

Taking about the Competition card.
>>
>>47752840
>>47752787

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370532
>>
File: Return from the Pit6.jpg (53 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Return from the Pit6.jpg
53 KB, 375x523
>>47755539
>>47756946
Sorry, I mis-typed. The Lazarus Pit causes temporary insanity as well as temporarily increased strength in those it brings back. Might as well post the current build.
>>
>>47756946
helmet
makes a wizard
plz
>>
>>47755771
>ally
Change this to 'teammate' and you're golden. See the Surge keyword.
>>
>>47757024
The helmet contains Nabu, Lord of Order, and he uses it to possess the current wearer. So that's why the equipped creature becomes a Wizard, because a Wizard is controlling it.
>>
>>47757024
>>47757065
Actually, I even had a version that made the creature legendary and changed its name to Doctor Fate. However, I realized that this would make some situations kinda awkward, like controlling two Bruce Wayne at the same time because one has the Helmet equipped and has a different name, so I dropped it.
>>
File: Bold Befuddling.png (213 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Bold Befuddling.png
213 KB, 375x523
workin rares yep

AKA mostly better Hamnation.
>>
>>47757734
So, an in-color Curse of the Swine? Sounds good.
>>
File: LifeforceInfusion.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
LifeforceInfusion.png
1 MB, 750x1046
>Reanimate Edition

Reposting a favorite.
>>
>>47737769
Combos with another of itself? The 1R is good.
>>
>>47758705
Cool. I still wonder why Wizards included the fact that Offering gives things Flash. It just seems really weird.
>>
>>47755771
each creature for each life gained is too much, especially since it scales very well with the second ability. One counter regardless of how much life or only putting them on one creature would be more reasonable.
>>
File: Deathless.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Deathless.png
1 MB, 750x1046
I've been thinking Populate would be an interesting mechanic in BGW, so another ability as an enabler could be fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47759244
Isn't that identical to time anon's incarnate ability?
>>
File: BleakrestShaman.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
BleakrestShaman.png
1 MB, 750x1046
>>47759378
I wouldn't know, I don't spend a whole lot of time in the threads. It's a very obvious direction to go in though, so I didn't think I'd be the first to have done anything with it.

I'm mainly interested in the design constraints of integrating it with Populate, because the strength of Populate is always going to be reliant on the strength of the tokens you can produce.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Campfire Tale.png (295 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Campfire Tale.png
295 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Stumble.png (229 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Stumble.png
229 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47759546
>>47759528
Big fan. I don't know about costs. Probably fair.

But Oona's Grace felt pretty crazy in EMA. I'd be careful with these.
>>
>>47737769
I don't like how the token can have two instances of Vanishing. Also not sure if the token would actually have a time counter on it. If it were me, I think I'd make it something like
>[...] It gains haste. If it has vanishing, remove all but one time counters from it. Otherwise, put a time counter on it and it gains vanishing.
Which also prevents creatures with Vanishing from lasting longer.
>>
File: Reclaim.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Reclaim.png
1 MB, 750x1046
>>
>>47760128
It's a neat effect, but it should cost more or have an additional cost to the reanimate.
>>
>>47760184
>>47760180
And you could at least write out the artist's full name.
>>
File: 86.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
86.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>47760194
Then shouldn't Wizards give Kevin Llewelyn proper credit?
>>
>>47760360
They totally should!
>>
>>47760194
The artist's name is Jason Nguyen, I'm just going by their username.

It's functionally similar to returning the card to your hand, but only for that exact moment, and in practice works a lot like Regenerate, only you could essentially "regenerate" a creature that was discarded or milled too. The fact it requires you to pay the full mana cost means it's already not going to let you cheat a big creature in and using it to save any big creature you already have is going to be costly too.
>>
>>47760378
But unlike regenerate, you also get the enter/death triggers. And almost every source of repeatable regeneration that can target another permanent is either expensive or tribal locked. Also getting card advantage from discard and mill is huge.
>>
>>47750585
Shahrazad is banned everywhere, this would be too
>>
File: Deride.png (235 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Deride.png
235 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47760180
Phyrexian Altar and Doomed Traveler.
>>
>>47760847
Or just use Doomed Traveler to make endless chump blockers.
>>
>>47760881
>chump blockers
I think you the use for infinite 1/1 fliers might have gone over your head.
>>
>>47760847
1: Viscera Seer
2: Melira
3: Kitchen Finks

1: Gravecrawler
2: Blood Artist
3: Phyrexian Altar

1: Disciple of the Vault
2: Myr Retriever (2)
2: Heartless Summoning

Combos made up of low cost cards aren't unheard of.

As it's worded, the card is put into the graveyard before you're allowed to cast it so you can snipe it with the graveyard hate that would affect the other combos, and it's as vulnerable to enchantment remove as they are to creature, enchantment or artifact removal.
>>
>>47761008
>snipe it with the graveyard hate
Basically no. You cast the card as part of the resolution of the ability, completely regardless of what zone it is in. So first of all, you can't cast things to "snipe" it during the ability. Second, if Rest in Peace exiles it, you still cast it from exile as the ability resolves. The ability doesn't care what zone you cast it from, it just cares about the trigger.
>>
>>47761049
Actually wait Rest in Peace works as it replaces and the ability wouldn't trigger. RIP me I'm a genius :'^)
>>
>>47761049
>>47761064
The card's rulings would be pretty heinous actually now that you got me thinking about it.

If you use the trigger to cast the creature, and an opponent responds by exiling it from your graveyard, it still would be cast from exile.

If your opponent, however, shuffles your library it would be in a hidden zone and unable to be cast. These are some grossly specific rules things.

Ew, yeah I really don't like the card even more now. Definitely needs fixing.
>>
>>47761049
>If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “card” and the name of a zone, it means a card matching that description in the stated zone.

Because it specifies the graveyard, "that card" is not longer the same if it moves zones. It's an entirely different object at that point.
>>
>>47761113
See also >>47761114

109.2a spells it out very clearly.
>>
>>47761008
You don't need combos to break it. As others pointed out, it turns everything into endless blockers and lets you abuse etb and death effects. It works especially well with self-saccers. It gives all your creature cards madness. Dredge probably breaks it. And so much more.

"Dying to enchantment removal" is not an appropriate downside.
>>
>>47761114
spoopy

The fact that this question even exists is a testament to how fuc'd the design is desu. Needs changing.
>>
>>47761114
I'd say just slap a "from your graveyard" in at the end for clarity.
>>
>>47761163
The design works perfectly fine, there's nothing about the rules interactions that doesn't work. As it is right now, it's just something that would have get a blatant rules note on the Gatherer page. It could easily be sorted out with nothing more than reminder text or >>47761173 to remove all questions.
>>
>>47761163
It's same as the Miracle vs. Funeral Charm interaction that came up when they first revealed Miracles. The only difference is that instant speed graveyard hate is a lot more common that instant speed discard.
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (205 KB, 1125x523) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
205 KB, 1125x523
Bringing back an old mechanic to fill out some of the common slots. Wisdom in Youth is one of my fav designs of the set so far, but for a while it didn't fit into the set. I like that it being back.

The others are expansions of the mechanic. Not super keen on the green one so suggestions for that would be kewl.
>>
>>47761603
I don't like any of these really. I'd just use the kindle mechanic.
>>
>>47761603
Wisdom strikes me as half a mana too cheap. It's a really powerful draw engine.

Kidly Energy is perfect.

Growth Spurt is alright. Could be 1 cheaper but is probably fine as is at common.
>>
>>47761755
>Wisdom strikes me as half a mana too cheap
Yeahh I kind of agree. Moved to UU, should keep it in check in a multicolor set.
>>
File: Invalidate.png (246 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Invalidate.png
246 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Simple Denial.png (201 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Simple Denial.png
201 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47761937
>>47761953
Muraganda? I dunno though, it is a bit hard to judge.

>>47761603
Great idea!
>>
File: Dreamdust Pickpocket.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Dreamdust Pickpocket.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
UB combat relevant keyword? Yeah or Nah?
>>
>>47762725
I'm 0% a fan of mechanics that slow down games.
That's my 2 cents.
>>
>>47762725
(I like the attacking side of it tho that's nice)
I think it's just less functional flanking desu.
>>
File: 66519_200w[1].jpg (29 KB, 200x288) Image search: [Google]
66519_200w[1].jpg
29 KB, 200x288
>>47759244
Like this?

Think of it this way: Trickery 2 is 2 extra toughness for the creature, except deathtouch creatures need that much more power to actually kill it. Combo blocks against trickery creatures are less effective. On offense, it's an alternate type of evasion. On defense, it's basically a 2/3 that stonewalls 2 power or less deathtouchers.
>>
>>47763573
meant to quote >>47762949
>>
>>47763573
>On defense, it's basically a 2/3 that stonewalls 2 power or less deathtouchers.
You mean a that stonewalls 4 power or less deathtouchers?
>>
>>47763655
It would die to a 3 power creature with Deathtouch. It would not die to a 1 or 2 power creature with Deathtouch.
>>
>>47763675
It's just a personal thing desu. I don't like mechanics that slow games because they often lead to stalemate game states, which are no funsies ever times.
>>
File: Z.jpg (221 KB, 1125x523) Image search: [Google]
Z.jpg
221 KB, 1125x523
more common fiddling. "minicycles" being a subtheme of the set noted.
>>
>>47763891
You need to decide whether shadow is your flying analog (and only green can destroy creatures with shadow, ala Plummet) or it's just a regular evasion keyword (and only colors that can destroy creatures that can destroy creatures with shadow).
>>
>>47763958
Green currently gets shadow hate, but it seems to be moving into G/W a bit. I'll probably try to keep it in G though.
>>
>>47763958
The thing about this is that shadow is a flying analog, but it isn't strictly flying. The removal implications are different, especially due to the frequency of it in the set. It's a thing to consider, for sure. I'll keep an eye on it.
>>
>>47763698
>I don't like blockers!
>>
File: Wildfire Elf.jpg (43 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Wildfire Elf.jpg
43 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47764142
Excellent common, excellent design. Good stuff.
>>
>>47764142
>equal to it is power
>>
File: Oracle of Winds.png (214 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Oracle of Winds.png
214 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47764142
How is this green?
>>
File: Image.png (123 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
123 KB, 223x311
>>47764300
yep uh huh
>>
>>47764300
It's as green as reach in red and menace in black.
>>
>>47764300
Green is (recently) being allowed to have "one-sided fight." See >>47764323 and Nissa's Judgment.
>>
File: Trail of Evidence.png (281 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Trail of Evidence.png
281 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Kussamo Visionary.jpg (43 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Kussamo Visionary.jpg
43 KB, 375x523
>>47764186
>>47764233
Thanks and fixed.
>>47764300
It's been moved into green>>47764323
>>47764352

Would +1/+1 counters and proliferate be neat?
>>
>>47764142
>>47764604
If all your cards are this elegant I think I'll like your set.

Super cool designs so far.

Augment is basically Multikicker but oh well.
>>
>>47764633
Should I just carry on with Multikicker then?
>>
>>47764709
If they're all going to do the same thing, use a new keyword.
>>
>>47764709
Nah mechanics have been functionally renamed all the time in MTG's past. Kids have short attention spans.
>>
File: Bud and Lou.jpg (59 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Bud and Lou.jpg
59 KB, 375x523
Harley Quinn's hyenas, named after Abbott and Costello. Still have to actually do Harley and Joker though.
>>
File: Captain of the Guard.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Captain of the Guard.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>47764742
They were, but now I'm starting to think of the possibilities.
>>
>>47764743
Then surely you have a lot of examples, right?
Can't wait for comparisons to Kicker.
>>
>>47764290
I would just have you Index ten cards. Scrying 10 seems too much.
>>
File: Trail of Evidence.jpg (55 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Trail of Evidence.jpg
55 KB, 312x445
>>47764384
Like, you clearly knew about Clues. But somehow this was overlooked?

Also, props. I like it.
>>
File: Hunters Mark.png (307 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Hunters Mark.png
307 KB, 375x523
>>
>>47764823
>Infect & Wither
>Evoke & Echo & Channel
>Fading & Vanishing
>Overload & Kicker & Multikicker
>Multikicker & Replicate
>Graft & Modular
>Level Up & Monstrosity
>Retrace & Flashback
>Persist & Undying
>Sunburst & Converge
>Chroma & Devotion
>Raid & Bloodthirst
>Horsemanship
>>
>>47764940
All of these are mechanically different. The closest you have are Sunburst and Converge, Chroma and Devotion, and Flying and Horsemanship. And as for those, Sunburst doesn't work on non-permanents while Converge does, Devotion was explicitly designed as a "fixed" version of Chroma (not even getting into how Chroma wasn't even a real keyword), and Horsemanship was used in a set based on our world, where they couldn't just stick Flying on things like usual.

As for the rest, if you can't tell the difference, you don't know much about Magic.
>>
>>47765006
>As for the rest, if you can't tell the difference, you don't know much about Magic.
If you can't tell the similarities, you don't know much about reality.
>>
File: Into the Pit.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Into the Pit.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
Just decided to simplify the fuck out of Return. Also remembered that the Lazarus Pit kills healthy people.
>>
File: Omensight Wanderer.png (250 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Omensight Wanderer.png
250 KB, 375x523
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 125

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.