[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unconventional weaponry for Space Marines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 15
I'd assume that, as Space Marines, they'd have access to less common and sometimes even unusual weapons, as well as some more commons ones that even Guard could use, if it was ever necessary.

What kind of weapons would be considered unconventional or unusual for a Space Marine to carry?

Pic semi related.
>>
>>47733841
Lasguns but huge and Bolter-power (not quite lascannon tier though)
>>
>>47733906
like, maybe a hellgun?
>>
>>47733841
Hotshot Lasguns and Hellguns. Seriously, how did the Astartes get stuck with Bolters when Hotshot Lasguns exist?
>>
>>47733969
great crusade weaponry was largely made with fighting aliens in mind

24" S4 AP5 > 18" S3 AP3 when you're primarily fighting ork boyz and eldar guardians.
>>
>>47733969
Now I've suddenly got it in my head: A marine has a hellgun plugged into his powerpack and he's effectively got unlimited ammo with rapid fire capabilities. Sounds pretty badass.
>>
I wonder if Space Marines ever use Needle guns?

You don't normally see astartes with needle guns, right?
>>
>>47734112
pretty useless vs power armor equivalents, and probably difficult to use in a hectic engagement.

i think it would be pretty interesting to see them use shotcannon equivalents for lightly armored foes. from a logistical standpoint it would be easier to supply than boltgun ammunition or volkites and probably has a similar demoralizing effect as a bolt round goresplosion
>>
>>47733841
I'm having a hard time digesting that image..
Is that a ah... bolter with an autocannon underslung?
An autocannon with a bolter for a scope/trigger mechanism?
>>
>>47734292
i honestly have no clue. I'm guessing the former.
>>
>>47734292
I think it's more the former. They kinda converted a bolter into a handle for the Autocannon
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (108 KB, 900x632) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
108 KB, 900x632
>>47733841
Consult the Angry Marines.
>>
what about shotguns? I mean, I don't think we hear much about space marines using them, but could they be used for certain situations by astartes?
>>
>>47734052
Having a Space Marine-sized Hellgun or Hellpistol would make a terrific back-up weapon. No shortage of ammo if linked to armor, powerful, easier on the maker of the weapon, etc.
>>
>>47734366
I think the Scout Marines use shotguns or snipers. Shotguns are used inside of ships when you need close quarters punch & trying not to fuck up the ship.
>>
File: scouts_shotgun_new02.jpg (275 KB, 1533x400) Image search: [Google]
scouts_shotgun_new02.jpg
275 KB, 1533x400
>>47734366
>>
>>47734412
do they fire slugs or buckshots or something?

Not sure what scout shotguns would do against armored opponents if they were spread shot.
>>
>>47733906
So a multilaser
>>
>>47734448
how big are multilasers? Can they be portable for space marines?
>>
>>47734467
They're pretty much what happens if a minigun & a Hellgun were thrown into a blender.
>>
>>47734526
By this I mean Hellgun + more barrels & Dakka
>>
>>47734292
pretty sure the 'boltgun' is actually a targeter for the AC
>>
>>47734526
>>47734546
so, he'd be holding and firing it like Arnie in Terminator 2?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (27 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
27 KB, 600x620
>>47734579
It depends. Most aren't but pic related is a Quad Multi-Laser. You might be able to find one out there.
>>
>>47734467
ir i recall correctly, in one of the cs goto books, space marines detach vehicular multilasers to use as man-portable heavy weapons.
>>
>>47734629
C.S. Goto? We're using him as a source now?
>>
>>47734624
>Yo dawg, I heard you liked laser miniguns, so I put a laser minigun with your laser minigun with your laser minigun with your laser minigun so you could laser while you laser while you laser while you laser!
>The tracks and gun carriage are a bonus.
>>
>>47734629
>cs goto
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (83 KB, 660x510) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
83 KB, 660x510
>>47734675
Here is your meme
>>
Sound based weapons would be unconventional, right?

Do Imperials have sonic weaponry at all? Or would that just be Noise Marines?
>>
i know some chapters have some weird shit yeah. sometimes they have to be very careful about where and when they use it however because its rare or slightly heretical tech. i think a few chapters have those like guns that fire crystals basically..but a non eldar version.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (93 KB, 517x599) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
93 KB, 517x599
>>47734764
I'm sure the Emprah likes Sonic weaponry.
>>
>>47734654
>>47734678
i'm not pretending the books are useful for anything besides toilet paper, but that shit WAS printed by black library
>>
>>47734292
He's probably just carrying a boltgun and the autocanon. I imagine the autocanon is secured to his waist so he doesn't have to use his hands to hold it when he's not using it. While moving, the bolter would be more useful for engaging the enemy, so that's the weapon he's got up.

Kinda like someone carrying an M240 and an M4. Have the 240 on sling until you need it, and carry the m4 in your hands for quick reaction.
>>
>>47734764
ordinatus ulator uses sound, I think
>>
>>47734292

It's a retarded design that only exists because it's used to justify the models. FW didn't want to create a whole new set of arms so they made a series of underslung heavy weapons that look like a bolter near the hands and are held just like a bolter. This way the models can hold both bolters and heavy weapons. Maximum compatibility and minimum time and effort in design and production and storage compared to making unique arms and poses.
>>
>>47734938
huh, so it does. I wonder what else is a sound weapon in the Imperium.
>>
>>47735091
Everything that a commissar says.
>>
>>47733841
Space Wolves have their Helfrost guns, though those are pretty rare even within their ranks.

The most unusual stuff for them to carry would probably be guard or civilian equipment, though likely upscaled.

I could easily see a Chaos Marine strapping together a pair of heavy stubbers for crowd clearing, or a combi-lasgun so they can have laser sights.
>>
>>47735039
It's kind of lazy, but at the same time it still seems feasible within 40k logic. The bolter acts as a relatively solid handle, having a trigger on it hooked up to the Autocannon. The marine can use the Autocannon as a main source of firepower, but if enemies get to close and he needs to reposition, he has the bolter to spray while he backs off.
>>
>>47735944
>Helfrost guns
what are these supposed to be?
>>
>>47734441
Shotguns are AP - on the tabletop so in all likelihood it's spreadshot.
>>
>>47736132
It's a flamethrower that sprays IcyHot except it flash freezes like liquid nitrogen and can melt steel beams.
>>
>>47734624
>Multi-lasers not being shit
Get out, C.S. Goto you fag
>>
>>47734292
it's an autocannon with a bolter like handler. So forge world can use bolter hands and arms for others weapons.
>>
>>47736005
it's not a bolter. it's only an handle.
>>
File: Untitled.png (322 KB, 750x449) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
322 KB, 750x449
>>47737551
>not duct-taping multiple Hellguns, Bolters, etc together to make your own custom weapon
Tape worked for Ellen Ripley. It works for the Emperor too.
>>
>>47740738
that's what combi weapons are.
>>
>>47735944
>Space Wolves have their Helfrost guns
Which edition's codex did this special snowflake shit come out in?
>>
>>47740809
Exactly, though I doubt the AdMech will orgasm over it as hard. They're not really attached like an underslung grenade launcher but rather duck taped. In other words, they're bound together even more strongly.
>>
>>47734218
Honestly? I think Ripper Guns are right up their alley. The same massive fully-automatic shotvuns they give Ogrynns. If the marines, who actually know how to aim, had those they could lay out moving walls of death.
>>
>>47734391

I could see this as the weapon of a Chaos war-band on a budget and didn't steal enough bolters and shit to replenish themselves.

Imagine that being a war trophy you could get in Death Watch: Some Traitors custom made Marine Hellgun he uses as a ghetto Plasma gun.
>>
File: Raptors_Scout_Marine.jpg (114 KB, 525x952) Image search: [Google]
Raptors_Scout_Marine.jpg
114 KB, 525x952
>>47734391
>>47741319
This seems like something one of the tactical chapters would do. Like the Raptors would do.

Think about how amazingly useful it would be in long term combat where the marines run out of bolter ammo. You never need to reload, just keep your armor working and your gun will keep firing. In several conflicts, this is a huge problem for chapters as they run out of ammunition.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 2240x1260) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 2240x1260
>>47741319
>a war trophy
Tell me more
>>
>>47741585

I agree, considering they hook up power weapons and plasma guns to their armor via power cables I don't see how a Marine Standard Hellgun would be a dragon on the armor's power supply.

Besides, they don't fight anything to drastically different then what the Guard fight so if a flashlight can kill a daemon a Mag light will do just as well (if not better)

>>47741639
>Bolt everything down, even the bolts themselves!
>>
>>47741663
>Besides, they don't fight anything to drastically different then what the Guard fight so if a flashlight can kill a daemon a Mag light will do just as well (if not better)

Well there's also the idea that a Techpriest's potentia coil is literally just a power supply and they can power plasma and laser weapons ad infinium with it.
>>
>>47741663
>even the bolts themselves
Remember that one of them turned traitor & tried stealing entire sub-sector Aurelia to give to Khorne.
>>
>>47741680

I always though the potentia coils was just to power their cybernetics and that you'd have to be an electro priest to do stuff like power things with a touch.

>>47741693
Well then, bolting down the entire sub-sector worked then.
>>
>>47741737
>I always though the potentia coils was just to power their cybernetics and that you'd have to be an electro priest to do stuff like power things with a touch.
It's basically a power supply that uses the sugar in their blood from the way it's described.
>>
>>47741737
>bolting down the entire sub-sector
>Chaos tries to take a planet
>planet is too bolted down
>Tyranids arrive to harvest bio-mass
>bio-mass is bolted down & they can't send retrieve it
I think we've found the solution.
>>
do space marines ever make use of poisoned weapons?
>>
>>47742151
Do their acid spit count?
>>
>>47743336
seems more corrosive rather than poisonous.
>>
You'd have to think they have all sorts of bullshit hiding somewhere in the reliquary.

I think you'd be more likely to see a Chaos Marine running around with two hellguns taped together since the bolter is basically a religious icon. That's probably the biggest mitigating factor with loyalists.

Chaos marines wouldn't care very much.
>>
>>47743409
I think the discussion point is more about what kind of weapons a space marine could wield that would not be considered conventional or appropriate, but still tolerated or that they can get away with without being declared heretics.
>>
>>47742151
Hellfire rounds against Tyranids?
>>
>>47743443
Can Space Marines wield other Space Marines?
>>
>>47743951
well, it's not like it's unheard of for people to use other people as bludgeoning weapons.
>>
In the HH books you have a number of Marines using more advanced or more obscure weapons.

The lore reason for the Bolter is that it's the best easy to produce and maintain marine weapon. Same with the lasgun for guardsmen.

When the great crusade kicked off even guardsmen had top of the line master crafted lasguns etc but as the size and scale of the campaign became apparent cost effectiveness and reliability kicked in.

That's why the Dark Angels have some of the most advanced stuff being the first legion they had exclusive access to everything before the other legions came along and didn't need to share it.
>>
File: Pile_Driver.jpg (20 KB, 800x279) Image search: [Google]
Pile_Driver.jpg
20 KB, 800x279
>>47733841
Industrial, adamantium tipped jackhammers and pile drivers, for when you have to insert a meltacharge into that titan's legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujd9IbAbIo

Alternatively, an improvised "bolt knuckles", you punch and shoot right into its gut.

>>47734052
>>47734391
btw, do space marines use multilasers?

>>47743951
Don't know, but normal people are somewhat elastic and articulated. It would be as using a screaming nunchaku. From all the blunt trauma and snapping tendons. Try to use the cultists armored in carapace first.
>>
>>47744817
>btw, do space marines use multilasers?
as far as I know, it's only shown up in C.S. Goto's works. Not sure about anywhere else.
>>
>>47744817
>Industrial, adamantium tipped jackhammers and pile drivers, for when you have to insert a meltacharge into that titan's legs.
Don't centurions have a weapon like that?
>>
File: Slaanesh.jpg (220 KB, 499x468) Image search: [Google]
Slaanesh.jpg
220 KB, 499x468
>>47745932
I'm sure Chaos does.
>>
>>47742151
Their sniper rifles fire needles made out of crystallized poison that dissolve on contact with blood.
>>
File: 1433814123702.jpg (938 KB, 2400x1634) Image search: [Google]
1433814123702.jpg
938 KB, 2400x1634
>>47734292
The "bolter" is actually a targeting laser/markerlight of some kind for the primary weapon, such as pic related on regular bolters.

it's actually so the Forgeworld Autocannon could be easily fit onto any Space Marine model designed to carry a Bolter with minimal conversion work
>>
>>47734412
Wait a minute... are these guys new? since when did GW updated their Scout marines kit?
>>
>>47733841
Auto cannon as Marlee weapon.
>>
>>47749058
I don't know what a Marlee weapon but I like a weapon sturdy enough to wack someone in melee.
>>
I back the vote for Hellguns.

I liked the Conservators and their bows though. Utter shit compared to a bolter, bulky, slower to fire, harder to carry... but needs a tenth the maintenance and you can make ammo for it on the fly.

Plus, what kind of insane power can a SM sized bow hold?
>>
>>47749597
>Conservators and their bows
what? Who?
>>
>>47734467
S:6 AP:6 Heavy 3
So a heavy bolter with better strength and worse AP. A Chimera can swap its multilaser for either a heavy bolt or twin-linked heavy bolter, don't remember which, but either way they are about the same size.

Damn shame guard doesn't use them more seeing how logistically guard should almost never use bolters outside of elite units.
>Hull and Pintle Multilaser
>Lascannon Sponsons
>Only ammo is a single battery charged by the vehicle's engine
The Imperial Army knew what is up.
>>
>>47746377
what Chaos Warband is that with that tasteful as fuck color scheme? One made just for this art?
>>
File: Punishers2.jpg (115 KB, 449x685) Image search: [Google]
Punishers2.jpg
115 KB, 449x685
>>47749803
Punishers.

They've been around since 4e.
>>
>>47749723
I want sponson multilasers and hwt multilasers for guard so bad you have no fucking idea.

All our guns are lasers! But not the heavy machine gun, no we need precious bolt rounds for that!
>>
>>47749699

Fan made chapter. Pissed off the AdMech and were based on medieval tech agri worlds.
>>
>>47750095
you got a link to them?
>>
>>47750095
>>47749597
At any rate, if they were crazy ass future bows, with explosive or mono edged tips, they'd probably be pretty lethal.

I'm guessing using mono tips (with poisons/toxins and what have you) would probably be pretty stealthy, too. Of course, firing at an armored target may not necessarily be effective, but hey! Sneaky.
>>
>>47750297

http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/
>>
>>47750321
>>47749597
come to think of it?
They'd be like Space Rambo that time he went back to Vietnam. Except, not being Catachan and being clad in powered armor.
>>
>>47746377

>The Chaos marines vent grills are teeth
>Ammunition counter on the heavy bolter

Lovin these little details.
>>
>>47750321

That's what I was thinking. Way easier to make than bolters and bolts.

More guerrilla marine stuff

- flechette guns kinda like shuriken catapults designed to shred cultists and traitor guard/PDF

- gas grenades, same purpose

- pneumatic stubbers. Good gas seals plus eight feet of solid muscle means an air rifle that hits like a gunpowder weapon.

- Lasgun. The space AK. For even more compact murdering, laspistols.

- high intensity flamers that look more like blowtorches. No big tongues of fire, just blue and heat.

>>47750297
They're on 1d4 chan.
>>
>>47751748
Oh, forgot one.

-cryoguns that massively cool what they hit. Designed to break apart metal vehicles: the metal contracts when cooled.
>>
>>47749839
>I want sponson multilasers
Solar Auxilia and Imperial Militia in 30k can take hull and pintle multilasers on their tanks. No HWS or sponson multilasers though.
>>
Rad weapons. Do they even have Destroyer squads anymore? That's what they were called right?
>>
>>47751426

Don't forget the one dude with the grenade looks like he has a cig in his mouth grill.
>>
>>47751748
>More guerrilla marine stuff
30k Blackshield marauders do this concept very well. Optional gear that anyone including the entire squad can take
>Lascutter
>Lascarbine or autogun
>Laslocks
>Bolter or modified bolter
>A second bolt pistol
>Heavy chainsword
>Astartes shotgun
>Modified power armour
Unit special weapons
>Sniper rifle
>Some xenos gun
>Flamer or modified flamer
>Rotor cannon
>Grenade launcher
>Heavy flamer
>Meltagun
>Plasma Gun
>Heavy Bolter
>Autocannon
>Missile Launcher
>Multimelta
>Plasma Pistol
>Hand Flamer
>Power Weapon

Plus their squad leader is WS 5 so it represents grizzled vets pretty well with the schitzo gear and extra attacks.
>>
>>47752148
That's the pin.
>>
>>47749723
Why aren't multilaser hw teams a thing???
>>
>>47753386
GW just never made them a thing. Honestly some shit I would love to see in IG
>Plasma Cannons for HWS
>Multilasers for HWS
>Some sort of hotshot long las sniper rifle (ruleswise probably just an AP 3 sniper rifle)
>>
>>47746377
What's that elf doing in the background
>>
>>47751748
>>47752152
Why would they purposely use all of this though? There is a simple reason why Marines use the weapons they do now - it's the optimal balance between power, reliability, logistics and ease of supply.
Fielding Marines with those weapons would be a logistic and supply nightmare.

>>47752088
I don't know why these guys don't get more attention. All they have is a few models, probably some fluff blurbs in the FW HH books and a single HH short story.
>>
>>47752088
This Destroyer Squads were incredibly effective, but their weapons were so destructive, they caused super-chernobyl and permanently scarred the planet for hundreds of miles for every battlefield they were deployed to.

They seem perfect for fighting Ork infestations considering the world is already fucked with spores anyway.
>>
>>47753429
Elf? i see no Elf. Not even a superior Eldar. All I see is a supreme specimen of Monkeigh in distinctive armour to indicate his superior talents and abilities.
>>
>>47754210
>All I see is a supreme specimen of Monkeigh in distinctive armour to indicate his superior talents and abilities.

What do the Eldar think of Space Marines anyway? They view humans as animals, but muhreens can whip their ass easily.
>>
>>47748839
dude are you serious

they've had shotguns since 4e
>>
>>47754810
Probably like trained hounds, prize animals sent against them by the pitiful fools on Terra.
>>
File: 1271841-marneus_calgar[1].jpg (46 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
1271841-marneus_calgar[1].jpg
46 KB, 300x420
>>47744817
>>
>>47753850
I actually wouldn't mind seeing more if this and the orc hunters from blood quest where orks were seen as food, with post battle feasts and games of strength and courage against the last survivors captured at the end of the battle.

I could definitely use some more of the comics that gw used to produce, but only if they kept up the story quality from the 1990- early 2000s era
>>
>>47754810
>They view humans as animals, but muhreens can whip their ass easily.

Then muhreens are big animals. Eldar aren't very "might makes right", they have high culture. Think of them as people from rennaissance countries. They sit around discussing complex issues, sharing art and refining their minds and senses. Then a massive Texan in football gear staggers in drunk, spits on the floor and calls the French guy a nigger. Sure, he can fuck them up, but they won't respect him.
>>
>>47755030
They don't respect anybody but themselves.
>>
>>47755059
If you were many times older, smarter and more sophisticated than all those around you, and they kept trying to genocide you, you'd only respect your peers too.

That's what I like about 40k. It seems like there's all this good and evil shit going on, but it's actually just about survival.
>>
>>47753429
Holy crap! I never noticed that guy before!
>>
>>47754810
Just like we think of a lion: a dangerous animal, easily killed if you're prepared.
>>
>>47755182
The Eldar respect NO ONE, including the necrons who have an older, stronger culture than even they, and censured the one Eldar who praised the Orks for not having a society doomed to fail from the word go.
>>
>>47754810
>What do the Eldar think of Space Marines anyway?
fear

Not because of their killing power. Marines represent an existence not too far from the Exarchs. Something slaved entirely to warfare.
>>
>>47753661
>Why would they purposely use all of this though?
>Been under siege for decades, gear is breaking down or running out of ammo
>Need lascutters to breach hull sections while boarding a ship
>Two bolt pistols allow for greater firepower with no loss in mobility
>Heavy chainsword lets you kill things better
>>
>>47734441
4e DA codex (where Marine shotguns jumped from S3 to S4) says they use Manstopper shells.

In 40k the usual shells are:
-scatter
-solid
-manstopper (somesort of magnum shot)
-executioner (homing)
-bolter bolts
-hellfire (poison)
-inferno (incendiary)
>>
>>47734112

Nykona "The Floor Is Lava" Sharrowkyn shot Fulgrim in the head with a needle gun. So there.
>>
>>47734292
Part of the newest set of combi-weapons.
Combi-Autocannon
>>
>>47733841
Are there railguns in 40k?
>>
File: 1461293705715.jpg (6 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1461293705715.jpg
6 KB, 250x236
>>47757730
>Nykona "The Floor Is Lava" Sharrowkyn
>>
>>47758594
Ask the Tau
>>
>>47754865
He may have been thrown off by the heads, the marine tank commander, a dark angels head and an IG head.
>>
>>47733841
Others have already said it but pretty much any laser weaponry besides Lascannons and stuff on super heavies is weird and outlandish for marines.

>>47733969
I've thought about this for some time. Frankly if marines alternated between Hotshot weaponry and some sort of high rate-of-fire personal arms using normal bullets but ramped up to a rate only a marine could bear (so a bit like Rotor Cannons only less shit) they could probably cut bolters out of their arsenal altogether. They certainly could do with HS guns to fight Chaos marines.
>>
>>47734112
Crusade Primus Medicae (high-ranking Apothecaries) use needle pistols by default. It's rare in modern marine chapters.
>>
>>47734526
Hellguns and Multilasers only share the fact they're both lasers in common however. In practice they are total inversions - low S high AP versus high S low AP.

>>47734467
It's better to simply think of them as a lasgun's version of a Heavy Bolter, only equal to the HB rather than worse.
>>
>>47737551
Tainted-by-association fallacy. Goto was a fanfictioning fag, but multi-lasers are generally better than HBs.
>>
>>47757730
whats that "the floor is lava" about?
>>
>>47760317
Except in cool-factor. Pew-pew never beats a good ol' boom stick with rocker propelled mass-reactive high explosive shells.
>>
>>47760352
I sincerely doubt any laser weapon goes "pew". More like crrrrrRRREEEEEE*fizz*CRACKCRACKCRACKrrrrrrrrr.
>just realised this sounds like something racial
Fuck it, I'll consider it a bonus.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.