[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>his fantasy voices are in anachronistic American "accents"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: 1458607534364.jpg (22 KB, 572x511) Image search: [Google]
1458607534364.jpg
22 KB, 572x511
>his fantasy voices are in anachronistic American "accents"
>as if this was a shitty fantasy JRPG English dub

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>47730715
>>his fantasy voices are in anachronistic American "accents"

Who's?
>>
File: 1465173137681.png (307 KB, 540x501) Image search: [Google]
1465173137681.png
307 KB, 540x501
>>47730715
>as if this was a shitty fantasy
pretty much summed up most tabletop.
>>
>>47730715
anon i have literally no idea what this post is supposed to mean
>>
File: 1456682716733.jpg (91 KB, 736x1040) Image search: [Google]
1456682716733.jpg
91 KB, 736x1040
>>47730715
It's funny, from my understanding the "American" accent actually generally uses older pronunciation styles than the "British" accent (these terms being broad shorthand for large and varied groups of dialects, obviously). A lot of Shakespeare, for example, actually reads closer to how we think it was originally spoken when using American pronunciation styles.
Iirc, it has something to do with the fact that English people were being heavily influenced by French and other languages, while American English speakers tended to be a lot more isolated and thus didn't develop as much. Hence why you can allegedly find populations in the Appalachians who say shit like "asketh".

Anyway, using accents can be a good shorthand for class/culture. I ran a game set in Feudal Japan where I used accents from the British Isles to more easily reflect class (the Daimyo is very posh, the up jumped peasant is speaking pseudo cockney, etc). Do you think maybe the person in question was trying for this sort of effect?
>>
>>47730715

To be fair, American accents don't have the tone right, but their structure and pronounciation is closer to old English than modern Broadcasting Standard.
>>
File: 1446786952983.png (183 KB, 649x386) Image search: [Google]
1446786952983.png
183 KB, 649x386
>>
>>47731061
>"asketh"

Never heard of this.

>I ran a game set in Feudal Japan where I used accents from the British Isles to more easily reflect class (the Daimyo is very posh, the up jumped peasant is speaking pseudo cockney, etc).

Fucking cringeworthy.
>>
>>47731061

There's also written evidence dealing with different ways to spell words, as well as the fact that colonies like New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia were established after America and Canada. The last two colonies were established before the rest, which is a possible explanation for why American and Canadian accents are so different from New Zealand's.
>>
File: i_dont_like_thing.png (298 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
i_dont_like_thing.png
298 KB, 500x628
>>
>>47731061

>Anyway, using accents can be a good shorthand for class/culture. I ran a game set in Feudal Japan where I used accents from the British Isles to more easily reflect class (the Daimyo is very posh, the up jumped peasant is speaking pseudo cockney, etc).
>>
>>47730715
What accents should he use? Some sort of meticulously crafted fantasy accent? Or do you want him to use even more anachronistic halfassed britbong accents because that's what's used in muh LotR movies?
>>
Sorry anon, Im a bad dm. I can't emulate a goblin, elven, or draconic accent well, so I just give everybody comedy accents. Although the gold dragon probably shouldn't have been voiced like nanny ogg.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.