[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /tg/ make a villain/BBEG that was actually Good aligned?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11
File: alignments.png (10 KB, 488x478) Image search: [Google]
alignments.png
10 KB, 488x478
How would /tg/ make a villain/BBEG that was actually Good aligned?

Rules:
>Desribe their motives, who they are, why they fight
>Who would the party have to be in this scenario? What are they fighting for?
>What is considered 'Good' in your setting? Is it by piety, altruism, worship, or some other trait?

Hard mode:
>No Evil parties
>Lawful Good
>>
>>47722517
lawful good wizard is studying the mystery's of the universe to help enact law and order when he discovers the concept of entropy.
he realizes his life is a lie and the natural state of the universe is to proceed towards an inevitable heat death in a chaotic fashion and the only way to ensure that true order exists in the universe is to increase chaos to such an extreme level that the only thing left in the universe is an organized uniform heat blob.
since the universe naturally moves towards this state of existence and is a law of nature the wizard trys to hasten the day that this law will reach is complete objective so that order will exist in the universe.
>>
>>47722632
>wizard
>laws of physics
>>
>>47722517
>BBEG
>Big Bad EVIL Guy
>good
This is a contradiction in terms.
>>
>>47722517
Wouldn't happen unless your party happened to be evil dickbags

So basically you'd need to make your entire world full of anarchistic dickheads who love being evil, but then a single person appears to rally all those who strive for good under a single banner. Naturally the party most go against him to maintain their chaotic and free way of life.
>>
File: WHY ARENT YOU CRUSADING.png (373 KB, 544x614) Image search: [Google]
WHY ARENT YOU CRUSADING.png
373 KB, 544x614
Lawful good facists.

Anyone not good is evil or otherwise a drain on the state. The only proper course for those not willing to repent is a merciful execution. Any failure to abide by these choices is inherently an evil action, thus the person pursuing them is evil and subject to death.
>>
>>47723053
I thought it was Big Bad End Game [boss]
>>
File: Alignment Interpreted.jpg (109 KB, 890x756) Image search: [Google]
Alignment Interpreted.jpg
109 KB, 890x756
>>47722517
Break out of alignment for a minute and rephrase the question:

>How could a somewhat reasonable person be the main villain?
>>
File: Ozymandiascomics.jpg (9 KB, 154x200) Image search: [Google]
Ozymandiascomics.jpg
9 KB, 154x200
>>47722517

You're going to have to work with context, OP. You can't run a bog-standard dungeon crawling campaign and suddenly reveal "Surprise! The final boss is someone benevolent!"

Ask yourself what noble goal the puppet-master been working for, that the players still need to prevent? If you can't think of a good answer, then maybe it's not the plot twist for you.
>>
I'm working on that now in my campaign. If you're in the campaign In the Shadow of the Sea do not read further.

Neutral good gnome cleric of Erli (god of commerce in my campaign setting)

he's actually a former party member who's player left. Before the player left he got into a disagreement with another player over whether to kill a prisoner, and halfway through the argument the session ended and between sessions the player left, so the other player decided to fight the character now that the player is gone. Knocks future villain out and the party convinces him to take him to a nearby inn and drop him off. I'm going to have this experience of being betrayed by his friends make him far more zealous to his goddess, and when he finds an ancient army of clockwork automatons, hidden for thousands of years by his ancestors, he uses them to try to destroy the world in the name of his god, reasoning that there will be no evil left if he destroys everything. At this point his grasp on what his goddess would want for the world is getting more and more twisted, as is his grip on reality, and in the climax I think I'll have Erli intervene somehow, not smiting him (I want the players to fight him) but making it clear she doesn't approve. While he's doing evil things, through all of it he legitimately believes it's for the greater good.
>>
File: Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Manga[2].jpg (104 KB, 610x763) Image search: [Google]
Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Manga[2].jpg
104 KB, 610x763
>>47726600

came here to post Ozy, guess I'll go with pic related
>>
>>47722517
You don't, because Alignment is an objective cosmic force in D&D. Making a Good-aligned villain is like making an ice cube that's hot or a fire that's cold.

If you don't understand this by now then you may be retarded.
>>
>>47727281
>Neutral Good
>there will be no evil left if he destroys everything.
>While he's doing evil things, through all of it he legitimately believes it's for the greater good.

One of the most retarded ideas I've heard on this board.
>>
>>47727611
I should have specified that he was neutral good before, he's really more chaotic good after the whole ordeal, I was just putting down what was on his character sheet but I think the whole situation is going to include an alignment change.
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNjk0Nzg2MDYx.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNjk0Nzg2MDYx.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
Just set your campaign during wartime and make the BBEG the enemy commander. He's a good man fighting on the wrong side.
>>
>>47728112
Was it the wrong side though?
>>
I ran a campaign where the BBEG is the leader of a devoted sect of Templars, aiming to purge the land of all magic users.

He and his men would offer all accused a trial by combat, and would undoubtedly slay their foes.

He was VERY Lawful Good, in that he had a moral code, many saw him actually actually doing good, and would offer a fair trial to his accused.
>>
>>47728135
Wrong side of history, for certain.

Not to mention that the war was about slavery and not state rights or whatever Lost Cause drivel.
>>
>>47728198
>He was VERY Lawful Good, in that he had a moral code, many saw him actually actually doing good, and would offer a fair trial to his accused.

Fucking Lex Luthor could fit those credentials by that moniker. A guy wanting to eradicate an entire people isn't Lawful Good.

People who do great evil out of "good intentions" are also evil.
>>
>>47728261
Magic users in the world were responsible for great, world-shattering events. Mana corrupted the landscape and often warped the untrained both mentally and physically.

Both sides of the argument had good, enforceable points. In this situation, both sides were able to be "Good"
>>
>>47728236
History doesn't have a right or wrong side. I hate that meme because it propagates the humanist replacement for religious salvation; progress.

Sure, we're improving now, but that's easily lost and quite possibly permanently so (all the easily exploitable sources of coal/metals are depleted so if we're ever knocked on our asses again back to a stereotypical dark age we may never reindustrialize, and thus, modern concepts of progressive thinking would forever be lost as they're dependent on a post industrial society, and that's ignoring the influence the new powers of the world are having on the West).

Basically shit's dangerous and we need to be aware how fragile we are, rather than assuming history has a set end point.
>>
>>47728236
>Not to mention that the war was about slavery

bait
>>
>>47728236
I'm talking about the campaign, not the related pic.
>>
>>47728649

Reminder Texas's declaration of secession explicitly states "We're leaving because you guys wanna take away our slaves".

>She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.
>https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html
>>
>>47722517
BBEG is necromancer who raises dead to work farms and shit

Party is tasked by a king to kill a lich who's skeleton army regularly attacks the King's border patrols. The lich is actually good, he attacks the King's army because the King is a fascist who doesn't feed his people.

BBEG is paladin dedicated to smiting all who are not good. He genocides all evil races. Then he starts destroying any races that CAN be evil. (leaving only good only races left)
>>
File: 1412901557442.png (128 KB, 579x523) Image search: [Google]
1412901557442.png
128 KB, 579x523
>>47722517
A kindhearted, gentle and caring ruler who is driven to great atrocities to create a system in which governmental rule is in favor of all and to strengthen the nation against threats from the outside. Inevitably his tragic tale ends with his execution at the hands of those he sought to protect.

RIP in pieces Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre
>>
>>47728825
>Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre
>Implying Max wasn't just a power hungry fascist
>>
File: 1399575898476.gif (307 KB, 697x400) Image search: [Google]
1399575898476.gif
307 KB, 697x400
>>47728843
>fascist
>get_a_load_of_this_monarchist.declaration
>>
File: Grabs Popcorn.jpg (6 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Grabs Popcorn.jpg
6 KB, 256x192
>>47728236
>>47728414
>>47728649
>>47728766
>>47728825
>>47728843
>>47728874
>MFW this has become a political argument
>>
>>47728915

The fuck did you expect?

Alignment discussions almost always turn into some kind of moral argument with points taken straight out of a Heinlein novel.
>>
File: Exécution_Charette.jpg (719 KB, 1690x1280) Image search: [Google]
Exécution_Charette.jpg
719 KB, 1690x1280
Charette here, revolutionary scum can GTFO.

Vive le Roi!
>>
>>47728959
This
>>
File: Angels_-_Jeremy_Jarvis.jpg (52 KB, 400x431) Image search: [Google]
Angels_-_Jeremy_Jarvis.jpg
52 KB, 400x431
A powerful solar aasimon, seeking to tip the scales against evil, has initiated a plan for conquest. He will make the whole world Good, whether they want it or not, and the PC party's kingdom is the pilot project.

For this purpose, is employing the following methods:
• infect large numbers of people with lycanthropy: werebear strain
• kidnap and imprison every Evil-aligned character they can get and cast Sanctify the Wicked on each of them
• dump Ravages and Afflictions into the water supply, causing evil characters in all walks of life to fall dangerously ill
• teach anyone of any age, free of charge in a shockingly efficient crash-course, how to cast Sanctified spells, which are inherently Good, redemptive, and require sacrifice. Commoners and children are finding themselves addicted to the sudden rush of holy power, and are literally casting themselves to death.
• have celestials sleep with every female living thing in the country, including the PCs' wives, daughters, and horses. They won't rape them, of course, but the ones assigned to the job are charming beyond mortal understanding, making the issue of consent complicated (in game terms, they're Diplomancers). They're all ancient immortals so little things like age do not worry them, and underage pregnancy is on a sharp rise.

You can get pretty trippy following the train of logic the Book of Exalted Deeds uses.
>>
An antinatalist/efilist trying to bring about the end of all existence to spare future existants the harms of existence, gets stopped by mongoloid adventurers who think that forcing sentient beings to experience suffering and death is okay/morally right because life is a gift and whatnot. Naturally seen as a villain by the vast majority.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.