[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So we have a Games Workshop 'hate' thread, but that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: GWGuy.jpg (112 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
GWGuy.jpg
112 KB, 400x400
So we have a Games Workshop 'hate' thread, but that seems a bit harsh for a lot of the crazy greentext stories going on in there.
How about a thread for funny or memorable moments in, around or involving Games Workshop? Positive or negative.
I've got one.

>Me at 14 or 15, 4th edition isn't long out
>Hang out at GW Aberdeen every Saturday with my friend
>Arrive early, play, build, paint, leave late because we were cool as hell
>Have my first 500pt game with my new Ork army, my friends Marines crush me
>Decide to do some painting to re-evalute my tactic before the rematch
>Realise I'm already bored as hell of painting green
>Get an idea
>Look through my wallet for £50, or however much paint was back then
>Go up and buy some shade of red
>Staff member at the counter is some early 20's guy who's known for taking everything way too seriously and overreacting badly
>"Oh! Going to make your vehicles go faster with this?"
>"Yeah, maybe"
>Go back to the painting table with my friend, crack open the paint and start giving one of my Boyz red skin
>Friend laughs, says it's pretty cool. A few other people notice and say the same
>Staff member who sold me the paint comes up
>"Excuse me, what do you think you're doing?"
>"Just doing some painting"
>"Not like that you're not!"
>Me and my friend look at each other in confusion

Part 2 incoming
>>
File: GWGuy2.jpg (111 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
GWGuy2.jpg
111 KB, 400x400
>"Orks have GREEN skin."
>At this age I was a pretty annoying smart ass
>"Oh. Well mine have red."
>"They're called GREENskins for a reason!"
>"Mine are called redskins"
>"That's not allowed!"
>He's visibly annoyed and raising his voice
>At this point the manager or supervisor or whatever comes over. He was a nice enough guy that treated the place more like a hangout than a job
>"What's going on, guys?"
>"He's painting his Orks red!"
>"..So?"
>"They don't have RED skin!"
>"He can paint his minis however he likes
>"But...That's not CORRECT!!"
>The manager guy takes him to the side, I imagine to give him a talking to
>The damage was done though, I was inspired to paint and re-paint all of my Orks red
>Eventually end up with about a 2000pt force I called The Redskin Korrektorz
>He never said anything about it again, but would give them annoyed glances whenever he saw them on a table
>The one time I thought he would say something was when he noticed I gave the vehicles green speed stripes

"That's not CORRECT" became an in-joke and catchphrase for me and friend throughout school, and still gets mentioned when I occasionally see him to this day.
>>
> Had a guy we called "Necron John"
> 6 foot+ and super skinny
> Spoke in the poshest British accent but really slowly
> Walked around like he was royalty

> One day, a 15 year old beats him with Ultramarines vs his Necrons + GK
> Flips shit but somehow keeps his royal demeanour
> Nearly hits the kid before running to his car
> Leaves his minis behind
> Shouts something about "forgetting to help fix his mother's hip"

We still have a debate on whether he said mother ship or not.
>>
I called up the GW number in the back of a warhammer book once because I had just discovered 40k and had a few fantasy books as well and spent 30 minutes talking about what lore was cool with the guy who answered.

Turns out the guy was a fan of Elves, and we talked about the Malus Darkblade books.
>>
>>47722655

Another one, whist I'm at it.

> Had a homeless guy come in
> Raggy beard, dirty clothes, the works
> mentions how he used to collect LOTR stuff
> says he could get too easily lost into this shit
> rambles on for a bit more, I stop paying attention

> next day
> has a massive sack of stuff
> Opens it up
> It's full of old metal miniatures
> Mostly in bad condition, but the guy had so much

We're talking at least 150-200 minis. Still a mystery, the guy was almost definitely homeless or at least incredibly poor. He refused to try and sell them.
>>
>>47722655

It was always great seeing an annoying old pro get beat by a kid.
>>
>>47722903
Now that's interesting, are LOTR minis expensive nowadays?

A friend had hundreds of Frodo minis and at least a dozen Saurons, never asked him where he got them
>>
>>47722450
Painted my orcs orange for this exact reason
>>
>>47722443
>>47722450
>>47723488
iirc, there are canonically orange/red Orkz mentioned in one of the Tau books.
>>
>>47723553
That might be more recent though?
>>
>>47723553
Orange-brown orcs sound awesome if you ask me
>>
>>47724147
But that's not CORRECT!
>>
>>47723170
Can't say in all honesty, if I had to take a guess they wouldn't be that expensive relative to OOP 40k character models simple due to demand.
>>
>>47723488
>>47723553
>>47723706
>>47724147

Farsight Codex supplement, so pretty recent.

Those Orks were spores germinated in rusty soil, so their skin turned craggy, orange/red/brown rusty colors. Gave them pretty efficient camouflage, though. Painting their backs and outsides of exposed arms with craggy texture paint might help with the look.
>>
This one is kind of sad, but here goes. I started working for a guy who has every fucking warhammer book both 40k and fantasy runnning all they way back to both first editions and to the 70s white dwarf. He's had seven or eight armies of 2000+ points over the years of multiple races and yet he's never played. His brother is even a turbo nerd with 9th level autismo who makes board games in between programming and he has never played with him. My boss even worked for gw at one point and STILL hasn't fucking played.
>>
>>47726435
Why didn't they play?
>>
>>47726474
I'm guessing my boss was kinda shy, in a weird sort of way we're he's really amicable and friendly and likes to fuck with people, but he has a hard time summoning up the courage to ask someone to play with him. His brother was probably too socially awkward to ask, figuring he would ask first.
>>
File: 7549619.jpg (32 KB, 312x281) Image search: [Google]
7549619.jpg
32 KB, 312x281
>>47722443
Posted this in the other GW thread.

>be me at 16
>Necrons finally got plastic models and these cool new green tube things
>local store always runs painting competitions as a promo for new armies
>pick up my necron warrior
>paint him a "green circuitry with engraved gold shoulders/accents"
>suddenly green tube thing doesn't match color scheme
>it's 4 am. Been at this all night. Wat do?
>panic and paint tube "glowing blue with lightning/electricity arcs"
>never attempted that before but shit looks cash
>take CircuitCron to store
>judged...
>problems...store manager yelling at new employee...argument over my model
>come in second place...everyone in store (including staff) thinks I should've been first
>new employee rated mine a 1/5 because I painted the green tube and in his words, "It's not a true Necron unless the tube is green!"
>mfw
>>
>>47723553
iirc, there was also an older book that mentioned albino orks being a thing.

I think it was the old xenology book, but I'm probably wrong.
>>
>>47722655

>Had some tryhard guy with a tau army
>new kid shows up one day with a Catachan army
>asked how he got into the hobby
>Uhh I saw these rambo looking guys and saved up for them
>his entire IG army were basically Catachans
>No tanks
>Just chimeras and sentinals
>Atleast 5 sentinals and 3 Chimeras
>We told to guy to go easy on him and let the kid use the old Catachan special rules
>but..but thats not used today!!!!!
>We get the tau guy to do it
>Kid proceeds to fucking wreck
>All he had to do was get Sly Marbo behind the guys lone somehow
>Tau guy was pissed and complained we should have gave the kid regular IG rules
>>
>>47722450
I've never really gotten into GW lore or anything but if orcs actually believe red paint makes their vehicles go faster why wouldn't they paint their own skin red to move faster?
>>
>>47730616
Not sure, but I know purple makes you extra sneaky
>>
>>47723488
Painting some of mine blue for kill team because my nephew wanted to get into 40k
>>
>>47730616

They have a belief that green is the orkiest color so they wouldn't want to cover too much of their green skin. Even when they paint other colors, it's just a little bit here and there mostly on the face.

Maybe their belief in red means only absolute red goes fast, so most of the vehicle would have to be painted red, as would most of their body, thus making them not green and un-orky. Orks have been shown to shun things for not being green or orky enough.
>>
>>47730616
They always paint themselves red. You might not be familiar but I believe it's called the blood of their enemies.
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1440x810
>playing at my local store with friends, first day of the school holidays
>"I'M HERE!!!" out of nowhere
>rich looking kid had walked in and announced himself
>he was going to play us all and beat us all
>manager asked him where his army was
>he'd left it on the bus
>left and never came back

"I'M HERE" became a thing we'd say when we'd fucked up in a game, or the dice weren't with us. Genuinely made each game ten times funnier.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.