[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you larp /tg/ alternativly why will you never larp /tg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 39
File: Larping.jpg (293 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Larping.jpg
293 KB, 1200x900
Why do you larp /tg/
alternativly
why will you never larp /tg
>>
>>47721344
because it's fun and I enjoy it.
Do you even need any other reason?
>>
>>47721344
Because I don't think it's fun and don't enjoy it.
Do you need any other reason?
>>
>>47721344
I tried larping for about a year. It was great... or at least it would have been if there weren't some seriously shitty people that kept dragging up drama and bullshit. Met some really cool people through it, though. I still hang out with a few of them (and play tabletop with some of those few), and they still larp, but I'd rather sit at home and be bored than put in the time and effort of larping just to be forced to hang around douchebags.
>>
File: Tabletop and larp.png (424 KB, 564x362) Image search: [Google]
Tabletop and larp.png
424 KB, 564x362
>>47721344
Because the larp communities where I live are toxic.
Also, pic related (in frogrunes).
Do reservist training count as larp? We dress up and go play in forests for the week-end.
>>
File: THIS IS LARPING.jpg (121 KB, 960x810) Image search: [Google]
THIS IS LARPING.jpg
121 KB, 960x810
>>47721344
what >>47721460 is not wrong.
there are lots of douchebags but that's the way it is with everything social.

you just shun them out or don't interact with them.

I've been larping for almost 3 years now and its tons of fun.

There are basically 3 types.
Russian larping which is hardcore crazy.
European larping which focuses on the role=playing aspect and creating a really cool experience to everyone
American larping which focuses on winning rather than having fun

where are you from op?
>>
>>47721610
Sask Canada, the closest thing to larping here is people REALLY getting into painball as far as i can tell.
>>
>>47721631
try biccoline

>>47721610
IT's a little more complicated than that.
First of all russian larps are over-mysticismed because US people can't make a difference between HMB and larp. Or anything with swords and a larp for that matter.

Secondly, Europe isn't that simple either, there are a lot of different approaches, mainly the Scandinavian scene, then there is the german and english scene, and the eastern europen scene which is a big clusterfuck
>>
>>47721650
Tell me more!
>>
>>47721691
about which part? It's a fucking broad subject
>>
>>47721344
It's fun, it's a bit different from just roleplaying and you generally meet a lot of new people. It's fun to be able to roleplay in larger groups, to see others, unknown strangers, be creative for your enjoyment and to be able to influence each others experiences in a way participating in theater don't.

Now the community can be full of insufferable egotistical attention hogging.. People.

It can take a bit of work to find the right groups of people to enjoy your LARPing experiences with.

I might be lucky of being Swedish and having a lot of different LARPing experiences to chose from through out the years. I really like some of them and could have been with out some of them as well.

I usually prefer more focused experiences, less open sandbox fantasy with swords and boards and what not.
>>
>>47721650
I know its oversimplifying it.
That's basically it tho from my experience.
Russians hit harder, get hit harder and take everything more to the extreme.
Europeans like their roleplaying and prefer fancy combat and fancier plots.
Americans treat it like sport with a general plot to it.
there are exceptions but that's it for the most part.

>>47721631
a quick google led me here http://www.larpwiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/LARP_in_Canada

I've never larped in any of these. bring friends or play with the group that you have the best chemistry with.
>>
File: 1465425483954.jpg (73 KB, 495x636) Image search: [Google]
1465425483954.jpg
73 KB, 495x636
>>47721739
>http://www.larpwiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/LARP_in_Canada
>none in saskatchewan
>>
>>47721692
Literally all of it, if you have time. Maybe just a more detailed overview of the differing LARP communities?
>>
>>47721739
Russia is... different. They have a different approach but they have a whole lot of larps that close to regular ones, although I admit that they have a way different opinion on what counts as safe, but not to the level that most people like to think.
About Europe, the fancy combat and fancier plots happens in the UK and Germany mainly and in their neighborhood countries. Those two countries have the biggest larps in the world too, with thousands of players.
Scandinavia and Eastern Europe is a whole different animal, different approaches, etc.
Americans... well, they like to call everything a larp which has swords, so dagorhir, amtgard and the likes which are basically just boffertags called a larp too. But the actual larps there has this problem that first of all not many of them wants to get away from the roots which is mostly nero, and they set up like D&D IN REAL LIFE. By that I mean they made rules that resemble the tabletop ones without realizing larping is an entirely different medium and you need a different kind of ruleset for it.
>>
>>47721788
never been to a Scandinavian larp.
what are the differences?
>>
>>47721771
Well, here are a few things as a start.
UK and Germany is kind of similar, that if you want to be vague you can sort them under one hat.
Germany is mostly famous from the Mythodea/Conquest larp and Drachenest, these two are the biggest IIRC in the world, Mythodea/Conquest is usually go above 8k participants, Drachenfest is usually a little under of that.
There is Epic Empires there too but it isn't as international as the other two, and smaller, but still in the thousands.
The UK has the Empire as their big larp in the thousands, can't remember precise numbers, and they have a handful of other big larps, mostly those are in the hundreds, but sometimes go above a thousand.

Apart from those two countries, larps that have over a thousand participant is rare, or even exceptional.
Going over a hundred or few hundred is happening in other countries too, but the average all around the world is still below a hundred, somewhere around 50ish. That's mostly because there are a literal fuckon of larps out there.
Now, I never been on UK larps so far, but I've been talking to UK larpers, and went to a few german larps so here are what _I_ think are the differences: While both try to have fun, and willing to bend the rules for that, the germans are more likely to entirely drop the rules for the sake of having fun and great moments.
There is German idea that you only need two rules for a larp:
1. Never except anything specific to happen because of your actions
2. Always react in some way to other's actions
Also, the two biggest larps are in germany there are more international larpers there so more idea sharing happens. This makes those two larps more of a melting pot, while the UK larps doesn't have this in the same degree
BUT there are also a lot of purely german larps, and as far as I know the reen-larpment word comes from the germans too. When reenactor tier stuff is used for a story that is placed into real life history, and tries to be as authentic as possible
>>
>>47721827
Well, about the Sandinavian scene.
While they have your regular fantasy larps it's not the most dominant thing there as far as I now (the swedish guy will correct me if I'm wrong)

The most numerous larps they have are the chamber larps, these are usually played in one room or building, have a short duration of time, characters usually pre written, so is the story and can be played again and again with different or even with the same people.

Also from scandinvia comes the term Nordic larp. There are several approaches to that too but it's basically "larp is an art, you aren't there to have fun" That means the story tries to tell you something or show you something. It can go from really artsy stuff, to pointing at problems of society, or /tg/'s favorite one the Gang-Rape larp, which tries to shed some light how these things happen, and what would the victims feel.

Edu-larps also come from there, which is instead or being artsy, is try to be educational. there are whole schools that use this method.
Basically it tries to teaches you stuff, be it historical, or other (it's good for mostly teaching soft skills, but hard skills like math can be motivated by it too)

Then there are such stuff as misery-larps which has the goal to make you feel as miserable as possibly while having a story to it too. Like you are a bunch of refugees and have to survive on some abandoned farm, and you stuff like food or blankets are in game resources (you can't bring them into the game on your own)
Scandinavian larps usually really attentive to the details, you can see that in the costumes too. They have a lot of high quality hand crafted stuff apart from some shop bought ones.
You can usually tell apart by that UK-German larpers and scandinavians by that. UK-German larpers have WAAAAY more store bought stuff in general.

Also let's not forget that nowdays the SJW movement is kind of strong in the scandinavian larping scene so that influences some of there larps strongly.
>>
>>47721344
I will never because I can't justify the cost (to do it properly), and because north american larps are mostly, "Grab your trashcan lid and pool noodle boys! Charge!"
>>
File: the bloody aweful.jpg (56 KB, 1070x627) Image search: [Google]
the bloody aweful.jpg
56 KB, 1070x627
>>47721947
sounds like something to avoid whole sale.
room larps and prewritten ones sound cool but the rest of what you mentioned sounds horrible.
>>
Now about eastern Europe... It's a clusterfuck. I mean it.

Basically nearly every country has a different approach to it, and all of them is influenced by something.

Poland for example HEAVILY influenced by the nordic larps and the scandinavian ways. They have a literal fuckton of nordic chamber larps there, chamber larps the way they go, although they have regular fantasy larps and the Harry Potter larp and the Whicher larp are also made by them (although the Harry Potter larp tries to do a game in the US too afaik) Which are in actual castles, very good costuming, pyrotechnic and various other movie effects used. Also the most expensive larps out there. From the ticket price of the Harry Potter larp I can cover the ticket AND the travel costs for Drachenfest.
But that's what you have to pay for quality.
SJW's also happen to be in that country.

Then there are the Checz Republic. they are big on chamber larps too but not to the degree as Poland, AND they have a very important scene in fatnasy larping. Namely they are mostly famous from the Middle Earth larps they have and there ou can see that they are also have a very distinct kind of costumes. Nearly everything is hand made and looks great, although their weapons look like shit most of the time. Probably wouldn't pass a safety inspection in Western Europe.
There are various other great larps there, all of them unique in some way, like "Legion: Siberian Story" but they have an online database for it.

>>47722006
Well, consider this: the Monitor Celestia larp also came from Scandinavia. Then there is a Dragonbane from Denmark which had a budget of 1 million euros.
It may sound strange to you and obviously these kind of games aren't for everyone but don't be so fast to judge them
>>
File: 1426945943287.gif (1 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
1426945943287.gif
1 MB, 400x286
>>47721947
I dunno man. I've larped quite a bit in Sweden and I've never heard of any of that.
>>
>>47721650
> First of all russian larps are over-mysticismed because US people can't make a difference between HMB and larp. Or anything with swords and a larp for that matter.
>>47721788
> Russia is... different. They have a different approach but they have a whole lot of larps that close to regular ones, although I admit that they have a way different opinion on what counts as safe, but not to the level that most people like to think.
IIRC, some sort of reenactors started civil war in Ukraine by taking over a few cities in Donbass and fighting against regular army for months. Not sure if they were larping, but I withhold my judgement for the moment.
>>
>>47722056
about which part?

>>47722038
continuing the eastern european clusterfuck.

There are the bulgarian scene, which is mostly evolved from the boffertags, now it's mostly about different clans having larps or fighting each other but with added roleplay. A more refined dagorhir/amtgard that you can actually call a larp. I personally think their weapon standards are shit but that's my own opinion. They also started a Stalker larp which allegedly not bad, but it isn't famous yet.

Then there is Croatia. Croatia is strange because most of it's larp culture started from Amtgard. They seen amtgard through the net, started a few chapters there and called it a day for a few years. Obviously it evolved as people wanted more and more roleplay but the core stayed the same. Then 4 or 5 years ago they started to change it, or to be more precise one guy started to make different kinds of larps and while at first it met a fuckton of resistance now it's kind of accepted. I mean the different larps, not the guy. They don't have anything exceptional on the fantasy front, although they made a great pervarsive urban fantasy larp where one event goes for several weeks or even for a month and you play it constantly next to your real life. It's called Izgon.
They also try to reform their WoD larp scene but that's true for everyone.

And of course there is Hungary, I'm from here so I have to mention it but honestly, we are kind of insignificant. Larpers here are pretty much decentralized, no real community, but we had a few great games and I could say that we have one game with really great costuming. Currently we are experimenting with various kinds of larps to se what works for us.

There are other countries too, like Romania, Serbia, etc but these are either have too few larpers or closed off, or just doesn't have anything exceptional.
>>
There are also France, Italy, Greece, Spain, and the like.
They either have just a few larpers, or they didn't do anything BIG yet. Mostly the later one.
Anyway no real stereotypes about them so far, Although the Italians are coming up fast.

And then there is the US.
My own opinion is that the US is a big shithole when it comes to larps. you guys would have an easier time if burned everything and start from zero then repairing what you have now. But even then I'm not sure it's possible. It's just so many cultural and other problems there, one could write several books about the problems of US larps because you can't point at only one thing and say, yeah that's the cause. There are several problems that strengthen each other.
>>
>>47721344
I will never larp because I HAVE larped.

I spent months searching different larps and making my costumes and weaponry and studying forums and attending them.

In more than 10 groups I never found a single person I wouldn't consider a loser.
>>
>>47721610
Winning IS fun.
>>
>>47723074
yeah but larping in general aren't a competitive game, or simply lacks win conditions, other than the ones you make for yourself
>>
>>47721344
>why will you never larp /tg
Because I'd want to do it properly, and doing it properly takes a lot of time and a well managed group.
I don't know if there's any LARP stuff in my town, or even how I would check into that.
>>
>>47723121
google is the go to solution for this, but where are you living?
>>
>>47723222
What do you think of the SCA if anything? It seems like a cross between LARP and re-enactors.

How come you and clownbro never start LARP threads here anymore?
>>
>>47723405
I have mixed feelings about the SCA. It isn't a thing around here so I only see them through the internet and most of the time when someone comes and proclaims that yes he is from the SCA he is also an asshole/retard that tries to prove how manly he is.
Probably it's just a vocal minority but still...
Other than that, it's not my style. I'm in reenactment and larping, so I doesn't really need another stuff that is between those two.

About the larp threads: I still start larpthreads here. It's you guys that doesn't reply to it and 404 fairly quickly.
>>
If anyone of you is interested in traveling to germany for the biggest larps in the world I could send you contacts oft people who organize this. International players are always welcome and a lot of people speak good english too
>>
>>47723532
Do you mean the grand expedition guys?

Also I always organize travel myself. Did it the previous three times for drachenfest, will do it this year too.
>>
>>47721580
>reservists are LARPers

It all makes sense now
>>
Just started LARPing in the past year in America. My LARP might be a little more Euro-influenced compared to other American LARPs because it is extremely roleplay heavy, to the point that unless the town I being rolled by hostile NPCs that you'd never even need to pick up a boffer. I've continued to do it because it's fun, it felt like a natural progression going from tabletops to LARPing and the community I'm in is mostly without drama.
>>
>>47723561
Yes. Nice which camp are you in? Im in silver 4th time now.
>>
>>47723608
Landsknecht camp this year and previous one. Before that Blue camp for two years
>>
>>47723618
How international are Landsknechte?
>>
>>47721344
No, a combination of self-consciousness, and self-respect.
>>
>>47723570
Hiw heavy is the movie and TV influence in Charakter backgrounds? In germany its still mostly adapted from tabletop and pen &paper
>>
>>47723628
very. There are North Germans there, South Germans, Austrian Germans, Swiss Germans, Italian Germans, French Germans. Every kind of Germans you can think of.
Sadly not that big on english but whatever. Last year there were a group from Estionia too but they won't come this year
>>
Anyone trying to or running a euro-style game in Virginia? Im in Richmond.
>>
>>47723663
Kek
>>
>>47723662
Not at all, the only player character I've recognized as influenced from anything semi-modern is a relatively new character loosely influenced by Doctor Frankenstein.
>>
>>47723718
After pirates of the caribian we had a flood of Jack sparrow look alikes. That shit was anoying
>>
>>47723804
My experience is still super limited since I only started in November, but other than references to Shakespearean-Era fiction and the occasional Victorian-Era reference, everything is largely original-ish.
>>
>>47723667
Thats Gropey's turf. Ask him.
>>
I doubt I'll ever LARP again since I'm in the US, and LARP here is trash due to overbearing safety regulations or the LARP event actually being just a boffertag tournament.(which attract the self-important megachodes, who sometimes go to LARPs just to beat casual people at their bastardized sport.)

I'd rather do cosplay or costume/renesonse festivals with LARP elements at this point.
>>
>>47725250
>renesonse
>>
>>47725349
I meant "renaissance"

Hands ur drunk go home
>>
I want to LARP, but its a nightmare where I live
I'm going to be moving to Oregon soon, any tips /tg/?
>>
>>47726150
see >>47725250

But you can be a beacon in the dark if you roleplay well.
Go BIG HAM and chew the shit out of the scenery.
>>
I always wanted to try it out, I just have no idea where to even start. After reading this thread living in america is really going to make it hard. It seems like a lot of fun though.
>>
File: DEUS BOLT.jpg (26 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
DEUS BOLT.jpg
26 KB, 480x479
>>47726415
It is
>>
>>47726415
it hasit's ups and downs. But with the US it's mostly downs. Especially the players.
>>
File: pop_sahara400.jpg (35 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
pop_sahara400.jpg
35 KB, 600x400
>>47723532
I'm coming to Drachenfest with a group from the Netherlands, which is close enough to travel by car rather than by plane. Still, if you have a "foreigner's guide to Drachenfest" or something, I'd be interested.

On the topic of Drachenfest: how strict are they with correct-looking encampments? We've got ourselves a few tents like pic related, are those acceptable? Furthermore, are people going to complain if you have OOC stuff in your tent if you keep it closed?
>>
>>47726756
very strict as far as i know. just drape some natural cloth over it and it will look good
>>
>>47726756
Those tents are totally okay, most people use similar stuff. Plastic tents als oacceptable but those are put up in the back rows. Also you should talk with the leader of the camp beforehand so you get a tent place secured.
About OOC stuff, you can keep it in the tent, no problem there
>>
>>47721344
is this the same guy?
where is the left photo from?
>>
>>47725250

It's funny, because I view people like you with the same exact revulsion you probably view me with.

I'd much prefer boffertag tournaments, and am forced to endure the theatrics of bad actors combined with rule systems to let them feel important.
>>
>>47721344

It seems so creepy and awkward.

I hear lots of stories about girls being touched lewdly :S
>>
File: Jojotrick0.jpg (94 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
Jojotrick0.jpg
94 KB, 1440x810
>>47726949
unfortunately some men are disgusting pigs in that regard and I can only vouch for myself in that regard.

these stories are too common
>>
>>47722056
Another Swefag here, I haven't heard about that either. mostly it seems to be victorian, postapocalypic or low-fantasy settings. People tend to do ALOT of prepwork so in that sense it might be more complex.

However most groups are about 80% aspergers. seriously, social skills are rarer than Bismuth.
>>
>>47726866
>Also you should talk with the leader of the camp beforehand so you get a tent place secured.
Is that really necessary, and if so, how should I go about doing that? Use the Drachenfest forums? Or is there something else for individual camps? Gray camp, should it matter.
>>
>>47727455
ask your group lead.
if you are your group's captain ask your camp commander or event coordinator.
email, private massage on facebook, etc.
>>
>>47726903
Left: Finnish actor in the role of Tuttiritari (tl. "Pacifier Knight") in a Finnish children's show.
Right: That one guy playing what's-his-face in Game of Thrones.
>>
>>47727307
again, which part of it you didn't heard about? The nordic larps?
>>
>>47721344
Because I don't know anything about larping and I have no friends to larp with.
>>
>>47721344
Was invited to and attended a VtM LARP once.
>>
>>47729135
VtM?
>>
>>47729223
Vampire the Masquerade.
One of the many WoD larps.
>>
> Join an RP larp
Everyone sits around and strokes their peen for six hours.

> Join a "simulation" larp
It's boffer-tag

I am done with larping.
>>
>>47721344
Who the fuck even larps these days.

The 4 times I went to a vampire larp it was FILLED with full-blown sociopathic wackjobs the likes of which I hope never again to meet.
>>
>>47729309
>vampire larp
there is your problem
>>
>UKfag
>Be getting swole due to no job but alot of money
>Want to get into LARPing because Historical and fantasy combat is one of my biggest hobbies
>Have no idea how to get a decent setup
>Get legit worried I may hit someone too hard
>>
>>47729505
there is only one way to find out if your worry is legit or not. Meet up with some UK larpers and try out yourself
>>
>>47729505
Mate, depending on where you live you could look at the Lorien Trust group which I LARP with, events are damn good fun and reasonably cheap (especially if you pre-book) as for gear; Ebay is your friend, drop somewhere between £30-£50 on a LARP safe weapon you like, costume is relatively cheap and most events have a huge variety of stalls to buy cool stuff from (often open before in character time). As regards character generation that's really up to you, I could waffle on for hours but just hit their website and have a gander
>>
File: Amtgard-05.jpg (7 MB, 5616x3744) Image search: [Google]
Amtgard-05.jpg
7 MB, 5616x3744
>be newfag
>"i want to larp lawl"
>find some group, Amtguard, or some shit
>there are classes, you bring a foam weapon, kind of dress like your class
>in middle of nowhere
>lots of people surprisingly
>team captains start picking from pool of people
>picked last
>you walk with your team I guess until you meet the opposing side where you wail on eachother with foam weapons
>it's super boring
>embarrass myself no less than 3 times

Was that even LARP? it was more like...wanna be fake...battle?
it was terrible
>>
>>47729847
nope, amtgard is a glorified boffertag or battle game.
Little to no role playing, but it has swords so US people call it a larp.
>>
>>47729847
it really depends on the crowd, I have never done it myself but I used to live with a guy who did. If you do it with a group of people that aren't pussies and are down to get a little rowdy I can see it being really fun, but if its with people that have a bunch of gay rules and everyone is afraid of getting hurt then It would probably suck ass.

I used to spar with the larp guy that I lived with, he would try to teach me how to sword fight and shit because he actually has 8 years of medieval combat training (french people man).

it was pretty fun sparring with him ill be honest, we would bash the shit out of each other and we were both ok with using our hands and shoulders to block/check each other. was kind of like playing a contact sport with weapons.
>>
>>47724384
Who? Full disclosure: I am a disgusting newfag to /tg/. That name makes me a little suspect.
>>
Britfag here but I've done some stuff kinda similar to this and it was awesome
>find out college history lecturer also does historical re-enactments in his spare time
>dude already looks like a viking
>inquire whether I could try it
>sure
>let's me come to a training session
>middle of fucking nowhere in the woods
>tents in the clearing with campfire
>busty qt maidens baking bread and roasting joints of meat
>meet the guys
>mostly cool, one aspie edgy archer (actually really skilled with a bow and arrow though)
>no experience or equipment aside from playing with sticks as a kid
>hands me blunt sword, buckler and some armor (leather jerkin, footwraps, chainmail and some other authentic shit)
>rules are: don't aim to injure
>no headshots
>only horizontal swings when attacking with anything hard
>no sneak attacks
>then go to other team and walk into woods
>set up camp, drink mead, have chill banter
>evening and still no combat even slightly
>leader says we should surprise the enemy team
>slow crouch walk through forest with a fucking sword
>get to other camp
>edgy archer goes round to other side of the camp and starts climbing a tree
>our plan is set
>they're all in the largest of the tents which had a dining table in
>wait for them to come out
>largest guy in group, sprints down the hill with a warcry holding a zweihander
>intense combat begins
>fighting a guy who has axe
>start getting pretty rekt cause first time and he's not taking chances
>he gets hit with a rubber ended arrow from our stealth archer

I've got lots of great memories of those guys, even the autismo but looking back on it, one of us could have gotten injured or died so, so easily.
>>
>>47731760
Do you have more stories? This sounds awesome
>>
File: 1462667795369.png (306 KB, 486x576) Image search: [Google]
1462667795369.png
306 KB, 486x576
>>47721753
>only "larp" is a small SCA group run by reservists
>can't do Cool Airsoft Shit because it's functionally illegal
>can't pretend to do Cool Airsoft Shit with paintball because it's nothing but tryhards competing to see how many injuries they can cause before the ref makes them re-chrono their markers

That's fine, I don't want to go outside anyway.
>>
File: 1455850392311.jpg (351 KB, 838x911) Image search: [Google]
1455850392311.jpg
351 KB, 838x911
LARP my friend got me into is pretty fun. We cast so we don't pay for anything, everyone is so nice. It's endearing seeing all the people from different backgrounds coming to together to have fun. A lot of more old guys than I expected, the only person who seems to be a bitch is the girl who cosplays and want's my friend's dong. I have a pic of me if you anons are interested
>>
>>47735753
Only if it's hecka sweet.
>>
>>47721344
I would really enjoy larp more if the whole thing didn't have such a negative connotation. I tell people I larp in my free time, and they instantly assume I'm weird. I mean, I am weird, but not because of the larping. That's just a hobby, like murdering homeless people with a ball-pien hammer.
>>
>>47735976
I'm the black one [spoiler/]
>>
>>47721344
Because it costs time and money i don't have with my 60 hour work week.
>>
Two of my friends have tried larping.
One of them wanted to do it because he read that community's rules for you how you make your weapon and he was able to get away with having a 5 foot block of foam with a handle on it
The other loved it a lot and was driving out to places like 3 hours away just to larp
>>
>>47722128
Spilled my cerreal 10/10 post.
>>
>>47736040
well, everyone needs a hobby. And in every group there is a would be psychopath. That's why I thrown Bob off the bridge last week, he seemed like that kind of guy. Couldn't take the chances.
>>
>>47732838
Why is that adorable child crying?
>>
>>47736997
She paid for that model kit.
But not with money.
>>
>>47721344
I can't find anyone who wants to go with me anymore. None of my friends are really into it, and I'm not good enough at making friends quickly to have a good time going alone.
>>
I think the Swedes had a really fucking cool Battlestar Galactica LARP where they did it all on a museum ship below decks. The concept sounded really cool though.
>>
File: learningnavigation.jpg (41 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
learningnavigation.jpg
41 KB, 600x449
>>47737300
Pick related, they rented out TV correct uniforms and everything.
>>
>>47721947

At least in Finland, most LARPs are nothing like that. Almost all LARPS I know of are either fantasy, scifi or modern fiction, with stuff like a Reservoir Dogs-inspired game where there are only two rules: if someone pulls a gun, everyone has to pull a gun, and if someone fires, everyone has to fire.

Beyond that, there's nothing like the edularps or misery larps you mentioned, at least that I know of.
>>
Hungarian if you're listen this is Strayan Barbarian.

So I'm still doing HEMA. Been doing it for a year. I like this shit and I have two sets of peasant tier garb that looks fine and a big sword.

I'm in a bit of pickle here, because I have to go to one of two cities in this country. Which got me thinking:

>be me
>have no friends who larp or even know anyone else who likes larp or knows anything about larp in this country
>larp is fuck expensive in this country
>could be looking at paying around 200NZD just to GET TO a larp never mind booking accomodation and foods
>want to get into larp

To be honest I don't think I can even afford to go to a single event in the next year or longer and I'm concerned about the fact that it'll cost me even more money for specific garb to go to something that might actually turn out to be shit.

Has anyone else been in a situation similar to this? How does a lone wolf get into the scene?

I'm currently looking at the websites however I can't make heads or tales of any of this shit.
>>
>>47732838
>SCA
is it armoured fighting? that shit's dope
>>
>>47721344
Any cost involved is cash I could spend on more miniatures.
I'd never rate playing dress up over getting more plastic/pewter crack.

Also>>47721435
SPBP
>>
File: 1465287316226.jpg (134 KB, 816x1056) Image search: [Google]
1465287316226.jpg
134 KB, 816x1056
Ive been trying to find a good group for ages, but sadly socal is not doing too well. The best option has really shitty rules and whatnot.
>>
>>47732179
It was pretty fucking cool while it lasted but last year the guy who ran it and owned the land we ran it on died so we kind of drifted apart after that
>all weapons had names
>weird nordic names as well
>cause I used loaned equipment from the other guys i didn't have any named gear
>one of the guys, history teacher, used an axe named "Legbiter" cause a few years ago he swung to hard and severed someones tendons in their knee
>le stealth archer's quiver was called "thunderstorm"
>I was best with a sword and board but they changed shit up most time we met with different history periods
>we do the crusades and i dress up as a templar (we did that one for the whole town and made some good money)
>we do vikings (history teachers favourite)
>try pirates but end up with kind of a bandit d-day type thing
>do celts vs romans and i get put on the celtic side
>get to wear some armour so we don't die despite being historically inaccurate
>get given two new axes that one of the guys had bought
>no shield?
>no anon you're a berserker
>split camps
>proceed to have cheeky banter, slather ourselves in woad and warpaint, chat with said busty maidens
>end up drinking so much mead i fall asleep
>these trips to the woods would last entire weekend so leaving the main battle to the second day is no big deal
>we wake up, slightly hungover
>set off to get fucking massacred by roman empire
>i've been teamed up with the hugest fucking guys who do this (theres about 35 of us)
>pack up camp and burn remains in true war fashion
>as we crest the hill we see a full on roman phalanx formation waiting for us (albeit only like 10 guys)
>see stealth archer walking behind them
>we all sprint different directions with no battle plan, actually pretty accurate then
>biggest guy, named Mark, guy is built like a fucking tank, hes just a slab of meat
>sprints full force into their shields
>bowling.jpg
>i run off into the woods to the left, hoping to flank
>>
>>47740080
continued
>hear shouting, warcries and the occasional cry of pain from battlefield
>getting adrenalined up
>run through woods, feeling badass
>stealth archer is in front of me like 30 foot
>he's trying to run away cause hes no longer got phalanx to keep him safe
>rek his shit until he's "dead"
>jeez anon no need to be so rough
>just scream something about blood gods and run back into battle
>celtic warrior don't play soft for noone
>my team are doing a surprisingly good job at beating the enemy team, or at least not losing
>battle begins to break off into 1v1s
>guys with spear charges at me
>sidestep and backstab him, hard to stop his momentum when hes carrying a tower shield
>start getting the hang of dual wield axes
>beat 4 guys in 1v1 combat consecutively, i feel like the god of war at this point
>pick up a rubber ended javelin and hurl it at one of the last roman soldiers
>he shanks our last guy just as i get him
>it's down to me and one roman
>gladius vs two axes
>circle each other
>i am anon
>no.. i am berserker
>sprint at the guy while screaming
>knock his gladius clean out his hand and chop into his chestplate
>i have won
>game over, everyone cheers, even the romans
>damn anon you were good out there
>so were you bro, here's your axes back
>nah anon you keep those, you're better with them than me
>guy has just given me hand-crafted axes from a blacksmith
>i'm nearly tearing up
>you can name them as well anon
>idea.jpg
>i have two hand axes called rip and tear
>i didn't wanna take em home though cause of the area i live in so they stay with the landowner guy

That was one of the latest and most interesting battles we had but to be honest the battling is one of the least interesting parts, partying like it's 1066 are the real times i remember
>>
>>47740080
>>47740186
Now this is larping.
I have story too.

>be innalarp
>character is an opportunist sunfabitch ex noble that knows his way around coin and sword
>there is talk of storming the plot device mines
>want all the plot devices for myself
>idea.wav
>spread a rumor about a singing contest to be held that night
>people take the bait
>big battle over plot device mine happens
>act as a big ham evil guy for shits and giggle
>some opponents break in laughter as we cross blades
>get hit by the well known Burgen Brother claiming this isnt the last time they see me
>throw my cape over them
>disappear as they struggle uncaping
>we lost the battle as planned
>singing contest about to begin in a matter of hours
>gather puckish rogues of a certain caliber
>group leader actually decide to throw a singing contest as a gesture of peace
>singing contest at full force around the campfire
> my band of theives sneak out along with me
>gather all the plot device gained from unguarded enemy camps
>about to hit up last camp
>spot me a short Burgen brother with his taller one
>we sneak up on them as I throw my other cape again
>give them a good big ham evil laugh
>they get knocked out by my band
>return to camp while singing contest is still underway
>group leader gives his final speech
>"make songs not war my friends!"
>after the event is over i show him the loot
>he laughs
>i laugh
>ask him for a king's ransom
>he pays

And thats how you rp as the government.
>>
>>47740186
Holy shit that sounds wonderful.
>>
>>47722128
Russia sounds like it has all the fun.
>>
>>47743960
It was anon
It really was
>>
File: 1329522959635.jpg (109 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1329522959635.jpg
109 KB, 720x540
American larpbump
>>
>>47748870

Why do poeple from your country bother to play these sorts of games? what do you get out of it when you're clearly not even trying?
>>
>>47721344

Because I'm out of shape and borderline crippled. I know there are options for people like that, but I think I'd just feel left out. It's tough playing a beggar or a shopkeep when everyone else is running around as knights and heroes.
>>
>>47736125
You look so happy
>>
>>47721344

Unfortunate combination of poverty and historical autism.
>>
>>47721650
I don't think you understand Canada. The distance between Saskatoon, and the site for Bicolline is farther than Madrid to Budapest.
>>
>>47750054

Wearing light clothes lets you move and fight more readily, plus makes sure you can more easily dodge magic. If you're actually one of the chumps who wears metal armor, you're going to be slow, hot, and tired, and you're going to get magic'd down in a hurry because you're a big, slow, target.

Same deal with the weapons. Foam shields are just as protective as historical ones, but much lighter, so you can move faster and defend yourself better. And since we're not actually trying to cut somebody, there's no point in trying to make weapons LOOK real when all they have to do is hit the other guy somehow. Blade alignment isn't a thing in larps.

Most importantly, larping is a kind of game, and games are only fun when you win. Dressing up in historical clothes and waving heavy, inefficient weapons around doesn't help you win. You know who fucks around with all that historical shit? The people who lose at fighting. You know who whines about stuff not being "period" or looking bad? The people who lose at fighting. Unless and until people start larping with actual, sharp, metal weapons, there's no reason to wear anything heavier than the gear you see in >>47748870
>>
I will never LARP because I take myself too seriously.

Also because it seems really really autistic.
>>
>>47721344
I used to LARP because i liked the craft fo equipment and building structures.

I quit because we lost right of use to the plot and our tavern, walled villages, robbers den, the druids circle and the goddamn fortress got bulldozed.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 680x1024
>>47751358
>>
>>47751025
>dodge magic
Found the flaw.

Magic should exist as curses, mythical beasts and the fucking fey.
>>
File: 147681681685.jpg (86 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
147681681685.jpg
86 KB, 512x768
>>47751385

That isn't even close to the only flaw in that abortion of a post. That sort of attitude is why HLF is right and American larp should basically be bulldozed and started over.

Shit, American larps can and will force you to change out of your costume if it's "too good", since it makes other players feel bad about their own lack of effort.

>17 years playing various US larps; started with NERO in 1997, quit entirely in 2014
>that really and genuinely is the massively dominant attitude of larpers in the US
>there's a ton of other problems, but if I could make one of them go away to try to fix our problems, that's the problem I'd pick
>>
>>47751025

'Murica, the post
>>
>>47723074
You're a big guy
>>
>>47723663
nice one, still being in blue. dont know much about many people, i tend to be more with the same people everytime, just few new every now and then i play with, mostly bcs i am going there with 2 brothers and friends i knew before
>>
>>47726756
do you have a specific camp you are in? will help with tips. that tent looks ok, most people i know have tents as OT zone, only specific tents as IT zone (coming from blue, we are as (pirate) crew there; so we have one extra IT tent to gather)
>>
>>47727455
most of the time the people are easy to contact with the Drachenfest forum, just mention with it that you're new and even if they are the wrong person to talk they should point you the right way
>>
>>47737365
few examples of nordic larps in Finland
https://nordiclarp.org/tag/finland/

Obviously there are more. Also the misery larps and edularps are the interesting stuff that's need to be mentioned, obviously everyhere ther are fantasy larps. But looking at simply the numbers there are more nordic and chamber larps out there because it's also easier to organize one, you can reuse the whole setup and need less players.

>>47738354
numbeous people had the same problem. You basically have two options
#1 wait it out, do nothing and hope for the best
#2 make your own larp and hope for the best
Both options have their own problems.

But you should contact the strayan larpers, look up their facebook pages see if there are REALLY nobody around you or they just hiding because also think no larpers around them, etc.
>>
Amtgarder so not really LARP but, I do it for the social and combat sport aspect, made a lot fo friends since I joined and it's something to do in Wisconsin that doesn't involve Drinking and hunting. and the Druid class is a buffing class most of the time which is my jam.
>>
>>47750445
you have to do it once a year. People travel longer for big larps.

>>47752203
did you ever met the ankh-morporkian city guards? friends of mine, I always visit them in the blue camp, awesome larpers. Also this year two other hungarians will come with me, they will be in the blue camp too.
>>
File: 1435312844770.png (795 KB, 1303x758) Image search: [Google]
1435312844770.png
795 KB, 1303x758
>>47751025
>>
>>47752342
hmm i bet we will cross paths, my brothers do LARP longer than i did, they are quite known with some people, my captain is also easy to spot (its the dwarf who is no dwarf^^ but dont tell him, he gets angry). the ankh-morporkian is known to me since im longtime TPerry fan (may he rest in Peace), but didnt get involved too much with them, im a nice pirate^^.
>>
>>47752372
>im a nice pirate^^
yeeeeeeeaaaaah.... sure. And Landsknechts work for free
>>
>>47752355
What's wrong with the macrame belts?
Also if I'm not mistaken, that's a Serpent Knight in Amtgard, he definitely should have fancier duds.
>>
>>47721344
Anyone here ever seen the movie The Wild Hunt? It goes super fucking dark at the end out of nowhere, but for the majority of the film it's about this guy who follows his on-again-off-again girlfriend to this retreat out in the middle of nowhere that holds what I gathered to be regular war games. It looked fun as hell. It was this huge swathe of land that had a forest and open plains and they even built a little town with a tavern and all that fun shit. You had a group of barbarian guys who camped in the woods and were trying to pull off some ritual to gain an advantage in the big battle, a few other factions scattered around with their own territory and everyone stayed in character outside of marked game masters who enacted magical effects and mediated disputes.

If it was something like that, I'd be *so* down to just toss on a robe and roll around as a druid/shaman kinda guy for a weekend of camping/larping and staying in character.

If we're talking "Let's all get together in the park with our duct taped toilet paper tube staffs and scream 'LIGHTNING BOLT!' at each other until someone decides they're a winner"? No thanks. I did that in elementary school and outgrew it. If I'm going to LARP, it better be a damn solid experience.
>>
>>47752393
hey im soo nice this year im doing the squire for the blue paladin. giving helping hand putting her armor on/off
>>
>>47752399
nothing wrong with it on it's own. The funny thing how someone once vehemently defended that pic as the pinnacle of larping, and everyone who tries to dress in a different way is a loser. That pic is what a lot of US "larpers" consider top tier.

Just for the contrast, here is a top tier gear from Hungary

>>47752450
the guy who leads the few armoured blue guys? because that guy is hardcore
>>
>>47752494
That's really nice garb, I wish I had the patience to sew myself something like that.

That knight's garb is middle grade for Amtgard at least, sporting equipment is generally seen as fine over here, though my roommate has leather covers for his when he want's to look spiffy, I'm pretty sure the main reason our full contact games use foam bats mainly is the fact America is very litigious and liability stuff prevents people from participating with more realistic looking equipment, just today an acquaintance who asked my group to do a demonstration for Amtgard for the convention he runs called me and said liability wouldn't allow it, a demonstration, not full participation.
>>
>>47752494
i meant the female paladin, but yeah blue has few full armored people. paladin did tell me: once upon a time there was a full unit of them, called "Hammerhaie" (hammerheadsharks). or do you mean my captain who helps leading the "sturmflut"?
>>
File: DSC03453.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC03453.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>47752589
The dragon one or the one with a shield and kettle hat?
And yeah, I was part of that unit two years ago as I had a half plate, so I was among the most armoured guys in the camp

>>47752575
the guy on the pic also has a breastplate and upper arms armour under the stuff, you can see the elbow guard and if you look hard enough parts of the breastplate too
>>
>>47752414
Damn right.

Even the small larps here are excellent like that.
>>
>>47752714
Hey, i have a bunch of questions for you if you dont mind answering.

A. Your opinion and experience with calimacil larp weapons

B. I want a kettle helm, where should I get one for the best quality/price ratio?
I want one but I'm not made out of money
>>
>>47752714
well she has a shield and uses a dragon as insignia, or do you mean an actual dragon? must have overlooked smth then
>>
File: SAM_2223.jpg (2 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2223.jpg
2 MB, 4320x3240
>>47752764
>A. Your opinion and experience with calimacil larp weapons
Nearly excuseively I use only calimacils nowdays, with the exception of a few other custom stuff, and daggers. Calimacil doesn't have good daggers that I like.
Anyway, the current generation looks good, still very durable (we managed to fuck up only 3 calimacils in the last 5 years, all three of them were used in HEMA trainings too, two of them was repairable still)
I won't recommend them for a first weapon though as they are expensive, so try out stuff before you put serious money in the hobby, but apart from that? They are good for larps.
Although usually too short, so there is that, but I'm a tall man.

>B. I want a kettle helm, where should I get one for the best quality/price ratio?
best quality/price ratio will be found at easter european smiths. But if you want it for larping then you just need a cheap one that looks good. Sadly most of the kettle hats that can be bought in shops are look shit.

>>47752794
I meant the girl I posted here >>47752714
But there is also a girl in dragon costume
>>
>>47736125
Hahaha, fuck. You look comfy as shit.
>>
>>47752826
wow didnt recognize her, but since you pointed it out^^ her hair is still the same length but she now wears more like a full plate and another sort of helmet, im not that good with what sort not my lingo. >>47752714 its her, but more blue, less black 'n red these days; reworked the cape too i think
>>
>>47752826
thanks!
price range for a cheap good looking one?
>>
>>47752857
It was pretty comfy, women were pretty cutie too. According to friend they have "open" relationships or atleast are fond of hooking up
>>
>>47752868
for a kettle hat? fuck knows. If you order from eastern europe and from a blacksmith and you are okay with munitions grade than somewhere around 100 eur is the starting price and can easily go up to 200-250.

>>47752861
the blue dragonness pic is from last year, she was chilling in the city at the time of pic taken so didn't had her whole setup
the pic about the paladin is from two years ago
>>
>>47752992
yeah she reworked her outfit appearantly for last year. less leather and far more blue/silver.

few questions for you:
A. did you hear the rumor that this year maybe the last time that the DF is on this areal, bcs someone bought it and want to build a windpark there?

B. do you do much RP and if yes, do you find it easier to do with people you know or strangers?
>>
>>47721344
I don't because I get do full contact sparring on weekends with firm practise swords. Much more fun.
>>
>>47753016
Never heard about the windpark thing.

About the RP stuff, I do it a lot but I would say it's just as easy with strangers than with people I know. It has different difficulties. With your friends it's easier to go into inside jokes and whatnot, with strangers you might not know where are the lines for him, and always there is this uncertainty if he is roleplaying at the moment or not.
>>
>>47753106

afaik the windpark thing came up last year or shortly before that.

currently working on a mantle for myself, hope it turns out somewhat like i imagined, no WIP photos atm bcs still getting all stuff together and in shape, assembling will be later.
but just from the infos you have i should be easy to spot, if you cross my path maybe wave and say hello, wont find me on the battlefield though i think; at least not fighting in the frontlines.
>>
>>47737149
i'd say it was worth it.
>>
File: Drachenfest2015_106.jpg (296 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
Drachenfest2015_106.jpg
296 KB, 1067x1600
>>47753157
still, didn't heard about it, but I doesn't really follow all the talks as I can't speak german at all.

But I will frequently visit the blue camp so I sure we will bump into each other, worst case I will ask the paladin about where can I find you.
>>
>>47753303
well im moderately hideous so at least after a first sighting im reckognised easy^^.

my outfit is not fancy bcs i try to make as much as i can myself, i like the exercise in crafts. and bcs i only did some falloutesque LARP till now still building on my "fantasy" stuff
>>
>>47753331
I do reenactment too that's why I have the LK costume. Also I'm in larping since 11 years so I accumulated a few stuff
>>
File: Freshmeat.png (1 MB, 640x1000) Image search: [Google]
Freshmeat.png
1 MB, 640x1000
One of the LARPS I visit regularly has the tradition of buying deers or hogs from the local hunter and having the players skin and dissect them.

It's pretty awesome.
>>
>>47754101

I would LOVE to watch the fat SJW types here in the US starve for a week-long larp unless they pitched in and help dress and clean their own food. Even if the actual larp sucked, watching them have to choose between eating and their moral outrage would make the price of admission worth it.
>>
>>47754854
The funny thing is that it was a family con, with two handfull of children playing around and learning from the older players (which is fukken awesome. Most of the kids older than 6 are better roleplayers than 60% of the people I meet on other larps)

They had their fun with a piece of intestine I accidentally dropped while burrying the remains of the hog.
>>
>>47754920
in most eastern European country it's pretty much the norm that kids see at least one pig slaughtering in their life.
Well, nowdays not so much but it's still pretty much a tradition to do pig slaughtering and heavy drinking is involved for the adults
>>
>>47721344
>Why do you larp /tg/

I used to larp. it was fun.

Because historical reenactment is even more fun.

(and lets face it, the only difference is the backstory's more detailed and the costume requirements are more anal.)
>>
>>47721698
> full of insufferable egotistical attention hogging.. People.
why i left
>>
>>47758439
Whats the attention hogging like? Everybody too obsessed with their own glory?
>>
>>47721344

There are no larps within a few hours of me, which is just as well because it's hotter and more humid in my area than Satan's asshole. So instead I'll wait for fully immersive VR in 20 years and just be That Guy that breaks everything if it relies on a realistic physics system, even better if chemistry is included.
>>
>>47721610

I just started going to Dystopia Rising in America and it seems a lot more like this definition of European larping.

A lot better than the other one I had been to that focused on winning and used mainly popsicle sticks with duct tape, that wasn't fun and everyone was very elitist.
>>
>>47759159
You know how nearly every RPG ever advertise itself that it's a game where YOU can be THE Hero?
And some larps do that too.
Now imagine a game where there are 50 people. and everyone wants to be THE Hero who saves the day.

>>47759557
"european larping" and "euro-larp tier" and similar stuff are still just buzzwords that nobody really knows what means. Or to be more precise, everyone has a very solid idea about it but everyone has a different one
>>
File: 1364427881088.jpg (315 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1364427881088.jpg
315 KB, 1000x667
bomp
>>
>>47721947
Am swedish. Have never heard of Artsy larp. Misery larp seems to be just about every larp I've been to. Shitting in the wood for a week straight, good bless babywipes. Getting at most half the needed calories each day, expect to lose like at lest a kilo of weight each larp. Not enough water. Cold nights with snow some times. Mud and rain 4 days out of 7. All in all 9/10 would recommend.
>>
File: nordiclarpcoversmall[1].jpg (228 KB, 540x633) Image search: [Google]
nordiclarpcoversmall[1].jpg
228 KB, 540x633
>>47761285
you may have encountered this book.
>>
Something I've always wanted to do is a post apocalyptic larp of some sort with Air Soft guns.
>>
File: fallout3-196.jpg (803 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
fallout3-196.jpg
803 KB, 1600x1067
>>47761509
there are such things. Mostly fallout and STALKER larps that I know of
>>
>>47761509
I always wanted to do a S.T.A.L.K.E.R one, with that, and "geiger counters" that would have RFID sensors that would pick up RFID chips that would be planted through the game area as "radioactive hotspots", with anomaly artefacts modelled and hidden in the areas.
>>
Problem with post apoc is the lack of proper areas to use. A small abandoned town or something with a few abandoned buildings would be just great but there is a distinct lack of those where I live.

>>47761565
Fallout is meh and require more props. One of the things that is really attractive about standard post apoc lives is that you can just grab stuff from home and go with it instead of needing to pack your chainmail and plate armor along with regular clothes.

I mean you need a airsoft gun, maybe a gasmask and some work tools from your garage, a backpack and some worn and thorn clothes and you are set.
>>
>>47761702
actually it's just as hard to do it right than fantasy, it's just need different stuff. The devil is in the details.
>>
I've never cared for fantasy and even if I dead American fantasy LARP is a joke.

MET is full of goth rejects with no sense of fun.

And the concept of Larping is just too handholdey towards a GM to get the freedom it deserves. Can't people trust each other enough to not have a referee around for everything? That way everyone can have an adventure not just the GM's long time players/best friends.
>>
>>47761835
in most larps storytellers/GM's aren't a think, there are usually just organizers and sometimes refs.
Hell, there are even a lot of larps that doesn't uses NPC's either
>>
>>47761835
Referee? I have never seen that around. It's actually a thing at American larps? I mean at most here we got the organizer going "These are the rules" and that's about it.
>>
>>47761957
in the US sometimes they even have storytellers and such who tells you what does your characters see. Completely missing the point of a larp if you ask me
>>
>>47761971
american Larps are Special™
>>
>>47761971
Wat. Are you shiting me? Isn't the point of a larp that I don't need someone to tell me what I see as I obviously am seeing everything with my own eyes instead.
>>
>>47762041
Have you ever been on a vampire larp? basicaly the same thing goes there but somehow toned down. You can't even take a shit without a storyteller most of the time
>>
>>47736997
Because poor Yukari got tricked
>>
>>47763772

She thought she was buying a good tank, and got a King Tiger instead.
>>
>>47762041

Americans tend to want BIG FANTASTICAL THINGS in their larps. The whole "epic" fantasy thing - armies of thousands, massive magical effects, 100-foot tall glowing portals, and so forth. Stuff that's effectively impossible to actually represent on anything even remotely resembling a budget (and actually asking American larpers to put in "hard work" on a badass NPC monster costume is just out of the question).

It's unsurprising, then, that most US larps are heavily GM'd to provide description rather than representing stuff accurately. While HLF makes a good point that "eurolarp" is a buzzword, one of the ways in which euros are very different than here is that across the pond the euros *tend* to limit their game content to what they can actually represent, instead of just saying "use your imagination."

Interestingly, US larpers get VERY defensive about this. Using your imagination and not actually representing stuff over here is generally considered a positive trait, whereas I get the impression that euros are completely the opposite: going out of your way to accurately represent what exists in the game is the positive trait and *forcing* people to imagine what's in front of them is the negative trait.
>>
>>47765336

Then yeah, you're country needs to stop larping. Forever. Because you're doing it wrong.

Stick to shooting gay people. You're all good at that.
>>
>>47760907

looks nice, where is that from?
>>
>>47761702
its far from where i live but my brother goes to a post apoc LARP in eastern germany where they use an old abandoned barracks area which is quite nice. its not softair but nerf weapons used iirc
>>
>>47765336
nice point.

From my experience the whole epic thing in euro/germany LARP is background knowledge in the way that you know stuff is there but in your "day to day" life on a CON or so you focus on other things so it wont get "shown" most of times. hope i expressed myself halfway decent, since im obviously not native english speaker.
>>
File: 1461995035873.jpg (6 KB, 164x216) Image search: [Google]
1461995035873.jpg
6 KB, 164x216
Tutti vitun ritari
>>
File: Obama_surprised.jpg (14 KB, 235x271) Image search: [Google]
Obama_surprised.jpg
14 KB, 235x271
>tfw when building larp costume for the past year and have already sunken $400+ into it, but still haven't even gone to a LARP yet.

I just can't stop thinking of ways to make it better. Hopefully, I'll enjoy larping. The closest I ever came was SCA, and there I was hating the fact that no one got into character.
>>
>>47766673
I hear there's a pretty rad Degenesis LARP community in Germany too
>>
>>47767480
dunno how rad the community is, but it is there.
i was mostly on fallout/stalker-esque stuff. but i bet since many larpers visit both there is overlapping in RP
>>
File: fatev40.jpg (207 KB, 912x632) Image search: [Google]
fatev40.jpg
207 KB, 912x632
>>47765336
>Interestingly, US larpers get VERY defensive about this. Using your imagination and not actually representing stuff over here is generally considered a positive trait, whereas I get the impression that euros are completely the opposite: going out of your way to accurately represent what exists in the game is the positive trait and *forcing* people to imagine what's in front of them is the negative trait
Truth to be told, ther ARE people like that in europe, the ones who think you should only have IMAGINATION!!! but thankfully they are the minority

>>47766629
Drachenfest

>>47766673
Fate?
But yes, europe usually have a lot of abandoned bunkers and barracks. Especially the eastern block.
Before the war started the Ukrainians even did STALKER larps near to chernobyl, not in the closed off area of course but still.
>>
File: 1455666728203.jpg (12 KB, 185x176) Image search: [Google]
1455666728203.jpg
12 KB, 185x176
>>47721344
seems pretty okay if its with the right people
but there's still one thing I fear
LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT
>>
>>47768179
Ok, i wondered if beside DF on how many more CONs they use WHfantasy costumes.

Yeah FATE. I dont condemn it when they use bunkers and barracks, makes great scenery and gives a nice feel to the players. Problem is sadly here sometimes people who dont know what LARP is make a fuss about it bcs ex-military buildings used and "weird people" meeting. its suspicious to them
>>
File: 1316293250658.jpg (158 KB, 807x605) Image search: [Google]
1316293250658.jpg
158 KB, 807x605
>>47768273
tell me about it, one time cops were called on us on a fallout larp.
Nothing really happened because of it, cops were cool, some of the players were also cops. But still...

About WH fantasy costumes.... a fuckton. Every big larp has WH fantasy costumes. Then there are specificly WH fantasy larps, one of them is in Russia. And then there are larps that kind of based on WH fantasy but totally not WH fantasy larps for copyright reasons.
>>
>>47721344
If I had the money to LARP properly, I'd just spend it on tabletop.

Also I'm a sedentary slob.
>>
>>47768316
had it in cologne, its a "oneday" CON, basically a IT tavern to chillout one afternoon-evening. postapoc, called "Stützpunkt 5" nearly shutdown bcs some people in IT costumes found it a good idea to visit some friends before the event, AT their school. Now guess how fast the police where there when some people with MG looking things turn up at school.
Beside that it gets exhausting to explain what LARP is to older family members or friends with no imagination. They cant get why some people like it.

WHfantasy CONs hmm must flew under my radar somehow.
>>
>>47721344
I'm a poorfag
>>
>>47759701
Just want to confirm a hypothesis I've been experiencing, in my experience a lot of the people who play villains in larps tend to be nicer than the heroic or, god help us, "neutral" players. Sure, you get the odd edgelord, but in my experience most villain players are villains because someone's gotta be the villain for stuff to happen, whereas with heroes, not most of them, mind you, tend towards stroking their own egos, and neutral players just do what they want with no regards for other players, often being more of a hindrance to the forces of good than the villains.
>>
>>47721344
Larping is fucking gay
>would totally do full contact HEMA though
>>
>>47768494
I honestly can't confirm nor deny it. Seen too many variations on it, to many retards in every kind of position, and never really looked at it like that way. I would say everyone can be an idiot in every alignemnt
>>
A friend persuaded me to try a Vampire LARP

Never again! There was more politics outside of the game than in it, they all had "problems", all the usual RPG issues to boot.

It has poisoned my pallet
>>
>>47721344
No, because Australia is shit.
>>
I played an 'Allo 'Allo larp just last weekend. Was pretty fun. Played Von Smallhausen.

I could look up the picture of my character, if anyone's interested.
>>
>>47731047
Gropey. larpfag from somewhere in the US. Does weird things with stapling money to his body and stuff.

Breddy cool guy, although other people have other oppinions.
>>
>>47769457
>although other people have other oppinions.

Opinions are wrong
>>
>>47769951
Think that if you praise Gropey enough, you'll get into their little supersekrit club where you all do nothing but faff over how great you are compared to literally every other LARPer on the planet because you browse and vietnamese crayon drawing board?
>>
>>47770252

That is an opinion, therefore it is wrong
>>
File: 5G4OMYe.jpg (92 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
5G4OMYe.jpg
92 KB, 720x960
I will never larp because the whole "you know all that nerdy shit we do that people don't get or approve of? Let's do that IN PUBLIC." In a dumbass hick town, it's kinda hard to make the acceptability of that shit very possible. Also, the only nerds with enough enthusiasm for that shit are the people that IRL play quidditch in my area, who are all SJWs.
>>
Always thought it was just too weird for me, like a whole 'nother tier of dork that I had no interest in descending to. I have enough fun getting into character and playing in tabletop games. I also feel like larp stuff would be too limited for me to have any fun with. Like, you can't exactly fight a dragon or towering monster or whatever. Your locations are limited to either "Big Field" or "Woods", I'd imagine it gets old fast. It's like cosplaying, never got it, but I know it's not for me.
>>
>>47771948
Harry Potter attracts SJWs like sugar attracts bugs.
>>
>>47721344
>Why do you larp /tg/

To hook up with hot, easy, /tg/ women.

> why will you never larp /tg

Because once I went to a few larps, I discovered what kind of girl frequents them.
>>
>>47769397
Agreed. The only one I know of is a VtM game and is apparently run by an egocentric 'That Guy™' asshole.
>>
>>47761702
Yeah, someone I knew was a "proper" LARPer, he invited me to a Post-Ap Larp they were having "nearby" (northern-ish Ontario, so 3h drive), sadly I couldn't be bothered getting of my ass to get stuff done (and my life was in the middle of a slow-mo implosion). I'm rather regretting not going now.

>>47767480
As a German expat and adding to what I just said up there; so fucking jealous. I enjoyed the original Degenesis, managed to get my friends (and usual game group) playing Degenesis: Rebirth and we're having a blast. Wish I could join the Degenesis LARP.
>>
Continuation from/samefag as >>47779979

>>47721344
Why I'm not going to LARPs:
Pretty much these two say it >>47771948 and >>47772033
First LARP I got talked into was Vampires The Masquerade, and even though I didn't had an abysmal time because the people were okay, we had some edgelords that felt like playing their Shadow the Edgehog OC and taking shit way to serious to a loser-tier level; pretty much the most stereotypical Vampires players fucking out there. (image related)
Second LARP was with my "proper" LARPer friend mentioned up there and although it was okay...still I rather just play normal Pen & Paper...or video games.

What I actually want to start is some tacticool RPish Paintball. Even though I find foamswords LARP cringy as fuck, I wouldn't mind yelling "Echo foxtrot, Tango down!" and suck some Tom Clancy glock.
>>
i went to a larp twice, i liked it as a "sport" but they wanted me to get into character and make a costume and such.
>>
>>47780282
>they wanted me to get into character

Which is the entire point of "role playing". It IS a "role playing" game, after all, that happens to be "live action" instead of around a tabletop.
>>
>>47780325
I dont come from a role play background, i come to /tg/ for Magic the gathering and board games so it all felt very silly to me.
>>
>>47780366

You went to something called a "role playing game" and you're uncomfortable because they wanted you to "role play".

The issue's on you, friend.
>>
>>47777747
What kind of girl is that?
>>
>>47726946
YOU are the cancer.
>>
>>47729847
Amtguard is not a larp. its a la. Its live action, there is no roleplaying, nor is there a game.
>>
>>47736125
You look snug as a bug in that fucking green cloak.
>>
>>47751025
This post is the worst. Kill yourself. America deserves a better breed of LARP, and we can't have it because of chumps like you.
>>
>>47782564
actually I give them that it's a game, but it's more of a sport game, a competitive one.

>>47782604
I'm not entirely sure if America deserves better or not. I mean it's entirely up to you guys and you wast the possibilities again and again while digging the hole deeper
>>
>>47780484
The kind that'll sooner break your arm than accept your unskilled attempts at seducing them.
>>
>>47761565
I live in the rust belt and would love to get a post-apoc larp going the shitty part is now that heroin is such a big issue more likely than not you'd need to scour the place for fucking needles and druggies.

>>47761702
and seriously this I once priced out what I would need for a fantasy larp near here and about died where as a STALKER or Fallout style I could do much more easily.
>>
>>47729847
>shoes with toes
Why?
>>
>>47782604
>America deserves a better breed of LARP

The only thing America deserves is not getting to play larps at all. Like I said upthread: stick to shooting gay people. Your good at that.
>>
>>47721344
I can't have fun if I have to constantly mind what I say and do in order to act in character. My most successful experiences have been when I basically LARP'd myself, at which point there's little point in doing it.
>>
>>47722056
Keep in mind that it's in comparison to other LARP cultures.
>>
>>47784603
That's my fetish.
>>
What kind of larp armor would you like to see more of in your games?
>>
File: 1368124552321.jpg (140 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1368124552321.jpg
140 KB, 720x960
>>47787717

If they're smart, they wouldn't wear armor.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160613-122125.png (583 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160613-122125.png
583 KB, 1440x2560
>>47787733
Yeah who would ever wear real armor
>>
>>47780484

Landwhales and borderline personality disorder. There have been some hot, stable women, but not many.
>>
>>47787763

Nobody who wants to win, that's who.
>>
>>47787717
cool ones. That could be either fantasy cool or authentic cool, or some other kind of cool. Doesn't matter which one as long as it's cool
>>
>>47787717
same as >>47789123
should look cool in the way its designed or the craft used to create it, also the wearer should present it/wear it proud/cool. dunno how to say it better
>>
>>47787822
Anyone who is remotely fuckable is spoiled by attention to the point of not being worth the trouble. Then you have to deal with the crowd of orbiters and other assorted protectors who want be the gatekeepers of pussy they seldom if ever get themselves.

tldr you want to get your dick wet learn to jitterbug and fuck hipsters.
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.