[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Why are there so many chaos gods? They can't all be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: FacePalmMarine.jpg (8 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
FacePalmMarine.jpg
8 KB, 251x201
'Why are there so many chaos gods? They can't all be omnipotent at once! This lore sucks!'

ITT: questions that people who don't understand 40k and lovecraftian [inspired] lore ask.
>>
File: [Contempt Intensifies].jpg (995 KB, 882x1038) Image search: [Google]
[Contempt Intensifies].jpg
995 KB, 882x1038
>>47718714
>and lovecraftian [inspired] lore

>thinking that the Chaos Gods are anything but Greco-Roman Gods viewed through a Catholic Church lense

For real though, the 40K lore is actually complex and deep when you start poking around in it.
>>
>>47718714
I think a better question is why there are so few Chaos gods.
>>
>>47718714
tbf, they aren't omnipotent. If they were then they wouldn't be warring with the Big E in the first place.
>>
>>47718963
It's also unfortunately written by generally mediocre writers, and fraught with inconsistency/fanboyism.

I'm not saying it's bad, or that I hate it, but people around here argue about it like it's some sort of gospel. I think it was better off when it was slightly less serious and more of a satire. It meant the problems were a little more forgivable.
>>
>>47718997
I think the 40k lore is best if you stay out of specifics, because then everything starts to fall apart.
>>
>>47718979
Or scared of him either. There's a reason why they call him the Anathema and it's pants shitting terror.
>>
File: 57093192.jpg (181 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
57093192.jpg
181 KB, 500x425
>>47718997
>I think it was better off when it was slightly less serious and more of a satire.

It was never a satire of itself past Rogue Trader. It was just a setting that had obvious in-universe jokes now and again, but that still took itself seriously.

>It's also unfortunately written by generally mediocre writers, and fraught with inconsistency/fanboyism.

I don't disagree there.

Still, it's possible to take a step back and realize the actual complexity of the setting, without devolving into "Magnus did nothing wrong" shitposting, et. al. plot twist, yes he did, but he did it with good intentions like any Tragic Figure does
>>
>>47719024
This. 40k's biggest draw is how much lore there is, but by the virtue of there being so much, you get conflicting info. Thus, it's best to skim the surface, of just form your own personal headcanon.

It's not the sort of setting you can take as perfect fact. Numbers are off, things said to be impossible are shown as not, etc.

40k lore works fine if you remember 'anything can exist' and that the answer to any question involving numbers is 'as many/much as there needs to be'
>>
>>47719062
True dat
>>
>>47718714
So was the Golden Throne always failing or is that a new thing? And if so when did that get thought up?
>>
>>47719637

I think it was always like that. The Imperium exists at one minute to midnight at all times
>>
What are some of the best books to read about chaos shenanagains. I personally enjoyed Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrior, and I've tried to get into Horus Heresy, but it's more political intrigue, less "I'M A DEMON AND MY BRAIN IS FILLED WITH DEMONS AND MY DEMON GUN SHOOTS DEMON SHOOTING DEMONS". Not that it's a bad thing, I just want something more fluffy and visceral.
>>
>>47718714
>40k ask thread
what the fuck happened to lurking more
>>
>>47719959
none of us know. because we weren't lurking.
>>
>>47719062
>It was never a satire of itself past Rogue Trader.
Not really. Horus Heresy itself was supposed to be a pastiche of Paradise Lost. And stuff like Commissar Yarrick will always be ridiculous.
>>
>>47718977
this guy is the reason why this kind of threats exist
there are 4 CHAOS gods and multitude of minor/greater god-like warp entities. like gork and mork, eldar gods, star child and whatever your dm brews up for the rpg session
>>
>>47719024

Depends on how specific

Some shit is just GW not putting enough thought into something, not desiring to, or not having a vehicle to convey information to people.

Honestly it's a shame they allowed FFG to publish the 40k RPGs because there is a lot of stuff in 40k that can only be conveyed through something like an RPG book. The problem with the FFG books is that they're seemingly focused on their own original system and there is no way of telling how much editorial oversight GW has.
>>
>>47718977
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments
>>
>>47718977
There are five or seven, depending how you count.
>>
>>47718997
I ditched the Heresy series after the first few books. Before the series the Emperor, Chaos Gods, Primarchs etc were described to have supreme intelligence, charisma and strength. Then, because most of the writers are terrible, they use the same shitty tactics and dialogue you'd see in a cheap tv series. The more they try to build up these characters the more stupid they seem. Maybe that was the point of the series, maybe it got better with the later books, but so much of it was underwhelming as fuck.
>>
>>47719024
That is why the entire Horus Heresy business was a huge mistake.

Going into excruciating detail and ruining all the characters was the worst thing they could have done.
>>
>>47720777
That's Rick Priestly telling you about his past vision and he said that the current writers deviated from it So that doesn't repesent what 40K is. So teah really.
>>
>>47720893
FFG is just trying their best to (in their minds) fix the system that they were handed by GW, when GW's RPG writing section shut down two whole days after releasing Dark Heresy 1e.
>>
>>47718997

>It's also unfortunately written by generally mediocre writers, and fraught with inconsistency/fanboyism.

you're precisely describing the bible and people love that shit, don't beat yourself up about it

Any fantasy genre isn't going to attract the best writers, imo Dan Abbnett is the best, and you're never going to get much consistency, the best way is to just cherrypick the things you like/make sense and roll with it
>>
>>47719637

it's always been a concern about what would happen when the Astonomican fails but never that the result of that would basically be the end of the Imperium, or at the very least a new dark ages
>>
>>47719024
This is a big part of the reason why Cypher is one of my favorite characters. He's about 95% ambiguous, and speculation about who he is and what his goals are is part of the fun of him, as well as 40k as a while.

Although I hear some book canonized that he's actually multiple people and not a single person, which irritates me because, again, ambiguity is a large part of the fun.
>>
>>47720777
>Horus Heresy itself was supposed to be a pastiche of Paradise Lost.

Which was literally a metaphor for the fall of Lucifer and the Passion of the Christ.

And, as >>47722611 stated, that may have once been the plan, but wasn't what actually happened. So not really, no.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.