[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: Jeskai Harbinger.jpg (577 KB, 1490x1040) Image search: [Google]
Jeskai Harbinger.jpg
577 KB, 1490x1040
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Favorite deck?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.
>>
File: Overall Modern Metagame.jpg (224 KB, 1230x919) Image search: [Google]
Overall Modern Metagame.jpg
224 KB, 1230x919
The overall Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
>>
File: Paper Modern Metagame.jpg (141 KB, 1232x641) Image search: [Google]
Paper Modern Metagame.jpg
141 KB, 1232x641
The paper Modern Metagame, which matters most.
>>
Why isn't Eldrazi Tron a more popular Modern deck? You have insane searching potential with Ancient Stirrings, Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map, literally a guaranteed Tron turn 3 everytime. I don't know what's meta right now but an early Ulamog/Ugin/Karn should wreck most decks.
>>
File: 1451854726135.gif (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451854726135.gif
8 KB, 400x400
What deck should I play if I want a virgin girlfriend?
>>
Reminder that ancient stirrings is busted and you should abuse it while you can senpaitachi
>>
>>47717381
This. 1 Mana cost for one of the best searchers in the game, they banned weaker shit before.
>>
>>47717323
Regular Tron already has those things, and while it gets T3 Tron pretty often, it's not always guaranteed.
>>
>>47717323
What you are describing is Tron, the second most popular deck in the metagame. We know it's good.

If you mean the Eldrazi deck with UrzaTron, then it's because it's garbage. UrzaTron isn't meant to be used to cast Endless One or something.

If you mean the Tron deck with the actually good Eldrazi (TKS, World Breaker, Ulamog and even Conduit of Ruin and All Is Dust in that deck), then it's because it hasn't caught on yet. To be fair, there is very little reason to play it over regular Tron.
>>
>>47717374
pauper teachings.
>>
How did you guys do at FNM?
>>
>>47717281
I don't play standard anymore, too much work.

My best deck is a red storm bullshit that can win on the first turn (but usually 3rd turn).
>>
File: tarns.jpg (358 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
tarns.jpg
358 KB, 750x1000
>>47717281
>Playing?
Played UWR Nahiri last week and this week. 4-0 and 3-0. I like the deck a lot.

>Brewing?
N/A

>Favorite deck?
In Modern? I really liked UBR Twin. I guess it's either Affinity or UWR Nahiri these days.

>Next MTG Purchase?
Eternal Masters foils.
>>
I would like to know about this "regular" Tron creature that's better than Ulamog.
>>
>>47718334
Nigger what are you trying to say? Both regular Tron AND Tron with Eldrazi play Ulamog as their best creature.

Are you trying to say you don't know what regular Tron is?
>>
>>47717374
Affinity or Merfolk. Bitches love Affinity and Merfolk.
>>
>>47717374
Jund will fool them into thinking you have money
Plus, it'll give you that sexy bad boy look
>>
File: 1465360032458.jpg (46 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1465360032458.jpg
46 KB, 500x500
>tfw legacy player
>want to get into modern but don't know what to play since my shit is pretty much not modern legal

What is something that can satiate a reanimator player?
>>
>>47719025
Dredgevine or gifts.
>>
>>47719025
Griselbrand
>>
>>47719025
Fellow Legacy player here. What are you looking for?
If you're looking for something similar to Reanimator than perhaps Grishoalbrand, though that's closer to Tin Fins. If you're looking for a complex deck that gives you several different lines, than perhaps something like UWR Control, Abzan Company, Kiki-Chord, or Affinity might suit you. Honestly the only reason why I play Modern is because I get to play Affinity without getting my shit slapped in Legacy, so I'm a little biased. Almost every other deck in modern just feels like a weaker Legacy deck or a stronger Standard deck. Affinity doesn't really have a counterpart other than Legacy Affinity.

>>47719112
These are good options as well.
>>
>>47718257
So wait, is Nahiri the real deal? I thought it would be another memewalker like Ashiok was.
>>
>>47719240
Yes. Keep up with the metagame, friend.
>>
>>47719240
My meta is aggro heavy, so it's great here. I'm running 1 Anger/1 Wrath (wtf do I really need Verdict for?) in the main with another of each in the side, and that's where I get a lot of my wins from.

It may not be the best deck, but it's certainly not the worst, and best of all, it's my kind of deck. I really have fun with it.

I agree with AJ Sacher on Cryptic Command (shit is overrated, I only run 1). OTOH, I think he's dead wrong about running tons of Spell Snare and ditching Mana Leak. I run 1 Snare, 1 Leak, 1 Logic Knot, 1 Cryptic and 2 Remands. Also, I disagree on his Tec Edge pick over Lighthouse. I get the theory: Lighthouse may be repetitious when Nahiri is already out, but I need that thing when things get desperate and I want to do something with all my mana (besides maybe animating Colonnades).
>>
>>47719120
>>47719150
I'm looking at the primer right now, how well does Grishoalbrand perform? If I bring it to FNM would I get my ass handed to me?
>>
>>47719602
Depends on the meta probably.
>>
File: Modern D&T.png (448 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Modern D&T.png
448 KB, 1920x1080
>>47719025
Yet another Legacy player here. I just ported (rimshot!) D&T to Modern.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/death-taxes-modern-edition/
>>
>>47719629
I haven't really paid attention to the modern meta since I've been sticking to legacy night. I'll just scrounge up some stuff for a shitty modern deck for now, then decide on building a true deck.
>>
>>47719025

Grishoalbrand, Gifts Rites(Jeskai, Gifts-tron), Dredgevine.
>>
>>47719602
If you don't win by turn 3, you probably won't win at all, but the deck is hilarious when it goes off right
If you play the Grixis Version you can win turn 0 with your opponent on the play
>Pitch 2 Spirit Guides
>Nourishing Shoal, pitching world spine
>Splice into Arcane Desperate Ritual, then play it again for 4 Red Mana
>Manamorphose for Blue and Black
>Izzet Charm, discarding a Griselbrand
>Goryo's Vengeance back Griselbrand
I've only done it once, but it was the greatest thing I've ever done playing Magic
>>
File: timewarp.png (246 KB, 270x375) Image search: [Google]
timewarp.png
246 KB, 270x375
Taking turns player here, this is the list I win the most with:

Survival:
4x Gigadrowse
4x Exhaustion
4x Remand

Draws:
4x Serum Visions
4x Howling Mine
4x Dictate of Kruphix

Time Warps:
4x Time Warp
4x Part the Waterveil <- Wincon
4x Temporal Mastery

Lands:
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1x Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1x Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1x Inkmoth Nexus <- I awaken this w/ PtW for infinite life decks.
2x Radiant Fountain
18x Island

Not gonna bother posting the sideboard unless someone asks, but I really want a backup wincon to squeeze in somewhere. Jace Beleren was in there (including an Elixir of Immortality), but he gets blown up so easily since I don't have creatures, and at best I can get him out turn three, anytime afterwards he's not really worth casting. I've been having some success with Thing in the Ice replacing Gigadrowse, but I feel like 4x Gigadrowse and 4x Exhaustion has saved me from so many games, it's hard cutting them.

Maybe -1 PtW +1 Thassa?

Also I tried replacing the Howling Mines with Ancestral Visions, I don't know about it. If I don't get AV turn one, I feel like the Howling Mines are superior and the AV's are useless later.

I've seen some other Taking Turns players here so I just thought I'd post the list and get suggestions.
>>
>>47719240
Yes and no. It continues to do well, but it seems to be a really unpopular deck regardless. Maybe the consensus don't want to deal with a control deck in the meta, even if it's viable.
>>
File: 1407419030958.jpg (145 KB, 670x424) Image search: [Google]
1407419030958.jpg
145 KB, 670x424
How good is emrakul in valakut breach? Is it just a win-more card?
>>
File: 20160610_183851.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160610_183851.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>47717281
>Playing
Esper Control and Gifts

>Brewing
Gifts

>Favorite Deck
Soul Sisters

>Next Purchase
Saving money for a couple months, I've been too addicted to foils.

These are the new dragon shield mattes. They shuffle a lot worse than the original colors but I still love the pink.
>>
Brewing spellweavers helix. Can someone help with the deck list. I'm debating Grixis, jeskai or just straight izzet for colours
>>
>>47718651
Consireing that regular Tron plays Spellskite, Wurmcoil Engine, Ulamog and World Breaker as creatures I say that calling it Eldrazi Tron isn't so wrong after all, don't you think?
>>
>>47720665

Been thinking about Esper gift control myself. I had a couple of questions, if you would kindly indulge.

How's the one of Darksteel C treatin ya? Probably to up your Thirst for Knowledge/Trinket mage hit rate, I suppose.

Does EE function as the third boardwipe? Because I only see WoG and SV.

Why the splash for loam?
>>
>>47720910
>Hi guys I'm brewing a deck
>Can someone give me a list for it?
>>
>>47721510
But why? Why would you just get rid of regular Tron in the first place? Why are you stretching names for the sake of stretching names?

>Nah man, I'm not playing Jund anymore. I play Dark Jund. With Dark Confidant and a lot of black cards (including the new Kalitas), it's not wrong to call it Dark Jund.
>>
>>47717281
>Nahiri
>Modern

C'mon OP you can do better then that
>>
>>47723643
>Tier 1
>You can do better than that
Guess its time for Eye of Ugin unban you baiting fagstick
>>
>>47717374

UW Sphinx Turbo Tutelage
>>
>>47717381
do you think it will ever get banned? I can see bant eldrazi dominating the format
>>
>>47722479

Slow down, Quentin Tarautismo
>>
how do you make black a good color? the only good cards it has are the discard spells and liliana but if you give it a good one mana removal spell (like target creature gets -1/-3) then control decks are probably going to be dominating, or would they?
>>
>>47724172
I once read an article concerning black you might be interested in.
>http://www.gatheringmagic.com/brandonisleib-071012-how-dark-ritual-is-killing-black-today/
>>
>>47724172
That card would be a better lightning bolt for control and would likely make black the best color for midrange and control decks.

I'd say give some decent cantrips to black instead. Maybe a preordain with lose 2 life. This probably wouldn't be broken because storm couldn't use it.
>>
>>47722030
There's a guy that regularly posts his spellweavers helix deck senpai
>>
>>47724172
Disfigure is already a very decent card in legacy. Black is a very good color, it just operates better as a support color most of the time in the format.

On the other hand, look at Reanimator, black is fucking powerful, just bonkers.

>>47724411
"Greatness, at a price" fits black to a tee, but I doubt we'll see that showing up soon.
>>
>>47724759
>>47724172
Fuck, I thought I was in the legacy thread. Yeah, modern's situation is a lot worse, since it can't benefit from the older reanimation spells and Dread Return remains banned.
Disfigure is also worse in modern than it is in legacy.
Sorry m8, yer fucked.

Gurmag Angler is nice though.
>>
>>47724411
You underestimate how strong bolt is. Bolt can hit the face, that makes it significantly more powerful than -1/-3
>>
Did you guys have any interesting FNM stories?
>>47724385
>>
>>47725003
It means that midrange and control decks become significantly better as they no longer need to run red and can instead run a different color. Junk becomes significantly better as white is a vastly superior sideboarding color to red. If nahiri didn't exist, there would be no reason to run red in control either.
>>
I love tilting the fuck out jund players who think they're hot shit with their 2k deck by playing loam pox/squeeflagrate and raping their manabase and card advantage.
>>
>>47725003
Not that guy, but traditional control usually doesn't really care about that, if it splashes for red, which would make a black vamped up Disfigure a juicy card to try out in those particular decks.

I do agree that Bolt is easily one of the strongest cards in the format though, but I don't think that was what that guy was going on about.
>>
>>47725084
My first senctence is all fucked up, but you get the point.

who else watching the euros?
>>
>>47725046
>>47725084
>>47725003
There is also grixis control which could effectively run 8 copies of lightning bolt. I am not sure how aggro is supposed to beat that.
>>
>>47725070
Wow :^) thanks for the insight
>>
>>47725006
I went 4-0 with skred at my last modern event. Pretty satisfied
>>
>>47717281
>Playing?

JUND. 'EM. OUT.

>Brewing?

New ways to Jund people out.

>Favorite deck?

J U N D

>Next MTG Purchase?

Grixis Control
>>
>>47717381
I don't understand why Stirrings hardly ever comes up in discussions for card bannings, it's completely busted in the decks that want it.
>>
>>47724172
Black has probably the most powerful control spell in modern: smallpox.

The issue is that its only good in life from the loam builds.
>>
>>47717281
>Playing?
Skred, 8rack, naya tooth and nail, ascendancy gifts

>Brewing?
I'm gonna take a break from brewing because my wallet is crying

>Favorite deck?
Skred

>Next MTG Purchase?
Leyline of sanctity and engineered explosives
>>
>>47720360
It's honestly perfect. I can see why you don't run Elixir, personally I really enjoy having it in the mainboard although I often take it out. With 4 part 4 temporal you'll only get back the Warps, although you can still create a loop with it, you can make do without it.
If you ever do end up decking, I would add it, but if it hasn't happened yet I would say you're fine. I've almost decked a few times while Warping, and playing Elixir turn 1 off a Fountain is really nice vs aggro.

I don't like Thassa personally, she feels like a bad Dictate that doesn't quite function as an alternate win condition, considering infinite life/bridge are your only two situations you'd need an alternate win.

I mainboard Beleren, like you said he often gets btfo, but not as often as I was expecting. Since he cantrips it's not even bad if they do kill him, it's like a draw+gain life.

If you do end up wanting Beleren (or Elixir) cut 1-2 of the Giga/Exhaustion, whichever one feels less potent to you.

Jace can also draw the turn you play him, which might help if you're getting flooded while comboing, although you can also flash in a Dictate before your draw step if you're uncertain you'll draw a Warp.
I fucking love Howling Mine and I think it's invaluable to the deck compared to Ancestral. A turn 1 Ancestral is a blessing, but that's also one less card in hand in a deck that needs to hit all its land drops, which Mine does really well. That's my main gripe with Ancestral, you really really can't miss land drops.

For lands I'm trying 2 Fountain, 1 Calciform for control matchups and 1 Gemstone Cavern for spice
>>
>>47725671
>Skred, 8rack, naya tooth and nail, ascendancy gifts
Jesus dude. With all the money into these decks you could have real ones.
No offense
>>
>>47725877
ascendancy cost me 40 bucks, im sure that anon bought it for less.
>>
>>47725877
>real ones
Like what? Goodstuff decks are boring to me and hyper aggro is lame as well
>>
>>47725877

jund and junk are such uninteresting decks. they just grind you with value (wallet). at least b/g rock had some spice with the obliterators.
>>
>>47720360
Also I forgot to mention, 1 cryptic is really sweet. It's on curve, and the options of counter, cantrip, fog or bounce are all so damn relevant, especially the bounce.
>>
File: gp goblin guide foil copy ART.jpg (52 KB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
gp goblin guide foil copy ART.jpg
52 KB, 280x200
>Playing?
Burn
>Brewing?
Burn
>Favorite Deck?
So far, Burn
>Next MTG Purchase
Fetchlands to upgrade my Burn deck to Boros colours.
>>
>>47726437
Singleton fight card for that extra spice
>>
>>47725605
Because it's Green.
>>
I wanna build Dredge, do I really need to play 5 colours to make it it work?
>>
>>47726797
So was gsz and pod.
Your memes are shit
>>
>>47726797
Green probably has the most banned cards of any colors if you don't count colorless.
>>
>>47717281
>playing
titanshift
>brewing
living MEMES (living end w/ nahiri)
>Favorite deck
Reanimator
>Next MTG purchase
new shocks and fetches to change living end mana base.
>>
>>47726971
>living memes
>implying that isn't just another name for living ends
>>
>>47726971
What could Nahiri possibly bring to the table in this matchup? This is retarded
>>
>>47726971
>(living end w/ nahiri)
For what purpose?
>>
>>47727229
>>47727340
I played against the deck earlier today and I can't work out why Nahiri is in it, just seems to dilute the combo.
>>
I'm interested in getting into Modern, but I was wondering if any BUG/Sultai (Tempo or Control) decks are viable. Or would I be better off going into Legacy instead?
>>
>>47728099
They are, but depending on your budget they're kind of expensive.

If you want to get into legacy: realise that your manabase for BUG in legacy is pretty crazy right now, with Underground Seas and Tropical Islands price being what it is now. Eternal Masters really fucked things up.
>>
>>47728099
BUG is much more viable in legacy than it is in Modern. Grixis Control or Jund would be a better choice for a more controlling deck in Modern, or Grixis Delver or UB Faeries for a more tempo-focused deck.
>>
how shitty is my vampmeme deck?
>>
>>47728323
What the fuck is the purpose of the Blood Artists
Use Asylum Visitors instead
>>
>>47728335
>What the fuck is the purpose of the Blood Artists
I have 12 kill spells. Its a good creature to have early in the game even if it just chumps it buys me time. It also is a vampire

>Use Asylum Visitors instead
What for?
>>
>>47728402
To draw you cards when you or the opponents are hellbent?? You also have 6 discard spells
>>
>>47728402
Plenty of decks have a similar number of kill spells and has no need for Blood Artist. Unless you're a dedicated sacrifice deck, there isn't much need for Blood Artist.
>>
>>47728447
Could be. I'll consider it

>>47728453
What should I put there instead?
>>
>>47728533
Nothing, because it's a bad meme deck.

It depends on what your game plan is, the list doesn't look aggressive but it doesn't look all that grindy either. Asylum Visitor seems like a better pick but it's still not a great card.
>>
>>47728574
I just remembered I didn't include a single copy of Kolaghans Command. I should include some.
>>
>>47717374
I'm 18 and I play Abzan and Burn, met my current girlfriend through magic. She just turned 16 *is a virgin. Take that as you will.
>>
>>47720360
I've actually found that Thing in the Ice I amazing in this deck
>>
>>47728736
Shit card does well in shit deck?

Pottery
>>
>>47729761
Did you mean Poetry? Also it's a decent deck that's very consistent. It's just hard to survive the aggro. But very possible
>>
File: Image[1].png (131 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].png
131 KB, 223x311
What's the viability of zombie tribal?

Prized Amalgam looks kinda neat when coupled with mikaeus, or anything with undying
>>
>>47730004
It's a bad merfolk. Their lords are 2 mana, yours are 3. And their creatures are unblockable. And they have some limited countermagic.
>>
>>47729913
>Did you mean Poetry
Oh sweet summer child
>>
>>47727229
>>47727340
it's already a gimmick deck. I'm going to cram even more gimmick in it. if I can beat someone on a legit deck and be the dream crusher then it's worth it
>>
>>47729913
>Did you mean Poetry
No, it's pottery.
>>
>>47730062
But that's fucking stupid. Why would you want the game to run that long when you're essentially an aggro combo deck
>>
>>47730180
because why not? I'm already playing a fringe ass tier 3 deck, does it matter if I make it objectively worse?
>>
>>47730234
tier doesn't mean how good it is but how much it is played. living end has some very good matchups
>>
>tfw T2 win off Prowess

Cumming.

T3 and T4 is more common for the deck but sometimes you can blow your wad early with Mutagenics.
>>
>>47730365
2 muta, 2 gitaxian/mishras and a battlerage on tswiftspear?
Or did you get triple mutagenic
>>
>>47728653
I take that as you being a pedophile
>>
>>47730029
Why isn't Zombie Master modern legal desu
>>
what is leyline of sanctity good for other than burn spells and disruptions?
>>
>>47730875
Nothing.
>>
>>47730875
Burn spells and disruption.
>>
>>47730785
Still suffers from the problem of being 3 mana.
>>
>>47730875
Scapeshift.
>>
>>47730875
Protection against Ad Nauseam.
>>
>>47731070
ad nauseam plays patrician's scorn. leyline o' sacntity does nothing
>>
>>47731281

Not only does it do nothing but they also have the Lab Man win.
>>
>>47730875
2 white devotion.

What do you mean what else is it for? Is that not enough?
>>
>>47730875

Any form of targetted effects.
>>
>>47726929
Both of which shouldn't be banned.

Besides, Pod is about as Green as Spellskite and Probe are Blue and Dismember is Black.
>>
>>47726961
Not even close familia.
>>
>>47732067
Those cards are all those colours
>>
>>47732067
Gsz should be banned. All the good creatures are green. Paying one more mana to play them from your deck is retarded
>>
>>47732228
Its sorcery speed, and only G less than Chord with no option for Convoke.

>>47732169
Yup, Merfolk totally splashes Black for Dismember, and any deck in the format has to splash Blue for Spellskite and Probe.

None of this is really related to the fact that Green has half of a Dig with the Delve cost ripped off of it and Wizards doesn't bat an eye.

T1 Ponder/Preordain to smooth out an opening 7? Fuck you, you'll play Serum and like it.
T1 Half of DTT to find whatever land/threat/rock you didnt open with? Totally fine.
>>
>>47732394
Quit moving goal posts
>>
>>47731070
Won a match with ad nauseam because someone thought this and decided to keep a hand with nothing useful except leyline.
>>
>>47730762
Eh it'll be fine in 2 years.
>>
>>47730762
Pedo is an affinity towards pre pubescent. It's not the right word, hebe is more what you're looking for but even that isn't accurate.
>>
I bought a starter deck like 2 years ago and never touched it again after a few games. Is this game worth jumping back into
>>
>>47733429
Do you have lots of disposable income?
>>
>>47733744
Money aside, is the game actually pure and fun enough to get back into and experiment with? Or do I have to follow some shitty meta
>>
>>47733819
>thinking he can experiment in any competitive game that isn't brand new
Sure, you can make a meme deck, it might do well at an FNM every so often, but it wouldn't be as consistent as a tier 1 or tier 2 deck.
>>
what is everyones thoughts on thing in the ice?
>>
>>47734255
It's pretty okay.
>>
>>47728323
Pretty shitty actually
>>
>>47720665
Only 3 Thirst for Knowledge seems criminal. It's the biggest draw to the deck.
>>47722008
Loam lets you build a gift pile of loam, academy ruins, sword of the meek, and thopter foundry and guarantee getting the combo online. I assume it's a budget replacement for Crucible of Worlds.
>>47717281
>Playing? Just shut down the Jeskai Nahiri experiment and now I'm playing UG Infect.
>Brewing? n/a
>Favorite deck? Am I allowed to say Splinter Twin?
>Next MTG Purchase? Second Pendelhaven for UG Infect.
>>
>>47736325
>budget replacement for crucible
just no
>>
File: Thunderclap-Wyvern.png (168 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
Thunderclap-Wyvern.png
168 KB, 265x370
I want to make a modern deck for casual play. Never played in the modern format before. The focus will be UW flying creatures. Keyword being casual, I have no intention to take my deck to a tournament beyond my local store.

How badly will I get my shit kicked in?
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 223x310
>>47736832
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/modern-archives/224106-deck-uw-flyers
It has some good picks. Mimeomancer can pack a punch if you have lots of smaller creatures, cloudform is a really underrated card, and Faerie Miscreant is the best thing ever (although Judge's Familiar is great too). Siren is a cool 1mana flyer and is plenty of fun in casual games. Warden of Eos Isle is cool but it has anti-syngery with enchantments and token spells.
>>
>>47736504
Why do you say that? There are no real synergies that make Life from the Loam more advantageous other than some minor graveyard filling applications. They serve just about the same role in the deck.
>>
>>47737109
Loam is inevitable to be cast, crucible is not. Lands go to hand, not straight into play, you are able to discard them to thirst or opponents discard spells.
>>
>playing
Merfolk and Gas Pedal Zoo
>brewing
Bant Eldrazi
>favorite deck
D&T/Hatebears
>next purchase
Aether Vials so I can stop being a moocher and borrowing my friend's
>>
>>47732394

2G less, can tutor for a land turn 1, recycles itself.
>>
>>47737109

>can be dredged if countered
>big "fuck you" to liliana of the veil
>can be used to fuel Thirst for knowledge
>Can be used to fast dig for the combo
>>
>>47719647
Play hatebears.
>>
>>47737829
Loam is busted good, we know. In Legacy though. Unfortunately, like virtually every busted mechanic/card in the Modern card pool (Infernal Tutor, Counterbalance, Dredge/Bridge, Delver), it doesn't have the enablers that Legacy has that make it worth playing (In Loam's case, Wasteland and Crop Rotation).

What are you gonna do? Recur Ghost Quarters until they run out of basics and then just run you over with those basics?
>>
>>47738443
Loam works well with looting-style effects by giving you redundant land cards to discard. When I was the memelord running Molten Vortex I won plenty of games off the back of Desolate Lighthouse basically saying "Draw a card".
>>
File: IMG_20160612_122828.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160612_122828.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>tfw still haven't sold this beauty.
>>
>>47738516
You mean no one wants it.
>>
>>47738443

Recursion of GQ is exactly what makes tron cry against dredgeloam, along with Affinity (which runs, what, 1 basic?), jund and azban

It is also used to fuel zombie infestation or seismic assault, to use smallpox with little or no fear of repercussion
>>
>>47738889
>along with Affinity
They've dumped their hand and attacking you with a flying 9/2 by the time it matters.
>>
>>47739083
Levy has always boasted about his positive win rate against affinity post g1
>>
>>47739083

Seismic assault + one random removal pretty much obliterates Affinity

Like really, it's one of dredgeloam better matchups, between GQ, recurring artifact hate after g1, lingering souls and darkblast
>>
I'm having fun with Lantern Control and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>47734255
>what is everyone's thoughts on thing in the ice?

"I wish people actually played Block Constructed"
>>
>>47738443
My God you are retarded
>>
I'm building my first modern deck and going for Modern Shamans because it seems decent for the price and seems extremely fun.

All the cards are on their way.
>>
I just started playing MTG about a week ago and it seems really awesome! I'm loving the unique card abilities and the art on some cards really sticks with me. I scrounged together a Green/White deck that I've been having moderate success with. I play friendly games against a coworker who has been playing for far longer than me (hes got like 10 different decks) and it's fine for the most part, but in a match today he played a card called a Planeswalker. Apparently, these cards are really powerful and cannot be removed by standard creature removal spells. I figured this was some card for a specific gametype of MTG and it seemed really unbalanced to have to face one of these when I had none of my own. He assured me it was totally fair to use them against non-Planeswalker decks and they're just like regular minions, but I ended up losing because of the immense value it brought. Now I'm hesitant to play any more matches because I feel like I'm just going to keep losing until I spend the money to buy a Planeswalker myself. I'd like to just play a normal game without them, but he got offended when I asked him to play without it. Do I really have a decent chance against a Planeswalker deck without one myself?
>>
>>47742243
Great blog
Deck is bad
>>
>>47742532
Shit bait. It's obvious by your wording. Why go through all this for some yous?
>>
>>47717287

I have a Gruul Zoo that my friends fucking despise. They've specifically built decks just to take it down. I designed it to be a Ramp also, so I pull out insanely pumped up titans.
>>
>>47742554
I'm dead serious. I'm sitting here at work and my green/white deck is right next to me.
>>
>>47720665

Hey... I have my black infect deck in those same exact pink sleeves!

>Such soft
>Many shuffle

I picked cards from the odd's-n-end's box at our local Goat and threw it together for $11 (twenty five cents a card x 44 cards). Went to cash out, saw those sleeves and thought

>You know what'd just be a real slap in the nuts? Losing to a black infect deck, pimped out in girly pink sleeves

Ahh... good times.
>>
>>47742532
What planeswalker was it?
>>
File: image:102446.jpg (58 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:102446.jpg
58 KB, 312x445
B/R Goblins when?
>>
File: 1459061835263.png (239 KB, 708x537) Image search: [Google]
1459061835263.png
239 KB, 708x537
>playing against UW control bullshit
>side in 5 (five) graveyard hate cards
>never draw them
>opponent wins off of Snapcaster Mage bullshit
Great game
>>
>>47742532

Assuming this is a real thing, yes you can fully win against a Planeswalker deck.

Let me break it down for you.

A Planeswalker is considered both a "permanent", and a "player". You can kill a Planeswalker through damage. When you go to deal damage to the player (He doesn't block, or you have a spell that deals non-combat damage to a player such as Lightning Bolt), you can choose to deal it to the Planeswalker instead.

The Planeswalker's life total is equal to the number of Loyalty Counters on it.

So if it's a +4 and you slap it for 3 damage, it's down to a +1.

Unlike creatures, Planeswalker's life doesn't regenerate after the turn - That is the damage stays. So on your opponent's turn, it'd still be at 1 (In our example).

Since it's a permanent as well, anything that targets a permanent using the word "permanent" or "Planeswalker" applies. So if you do something like "Exile target permanent", you can target the Planeswalker.
>>
File: Image.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47742668
This one. He drew it really early into the game. and it beefed up his smaller minions until I couldn't keep up anymore.
>>
File: Tibalt.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Tibalt.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>47742668
This one. How do I beat it?
>>
>>47742727
That isnt even really good
Hes like $5 if you want him though
Build a Mono Red Burn deck
>>
>>47742759
>false-flagging
Thanks for shitting up the board
>>
>>47742532
Unless you're buying the walkers that go in all decks, most of them are less than $10.
>>
>>47742678

>Krenko Mob Boss
>Goblin Offensive
>Infinite Goblins
>Ashnod's Alter
>2x infinite mana
>Rolling Thunder
>Infinite damage
>Butcher of Malakir
>Infinite sacrifice = opponent's suffer infinitely

I run a red black sac deck with these cards in it. Shit's so cash.
>>
>>47742532
You can absolutely get rid of them and it was kinda shitty he didn't tell you how. If you swing at him you can declare your attackers at the planeswalker instead. Also any damage you deal to your opponent you can redirect at the planeswalker instead.
>>
>>47742759

>How do I beat him
>LC 2
>+1
>At most, he'll be a 3 (Assuming no Oath of Gidion or some bullshit like that)

>Literally Lightning Bolt
>>
>>47742639
Kys
>>
>>47742840
How do you read that post but completely overlook the one above it?
>>
>>47742533
Seems like a decent aggro deck. I've been watching videos and it goes toe to toe with other staples of the format just fine. I'm building it to play FNM's anyway. I'm not wanting to go to a pro-tour or anything.

Tron seems like the only huge problem for it, but even has fulminator mage in the sideboard.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>47742723
I just felt like my options as Green/White were really limited. Looking it up, it seems like the only Green card with "Exile Target Permanent" card text is this one. I realize I could make other colored decks, but I really like the idea of Green/White; I probably wouldn't even have gotten into MTG if it wasn't a thing. I just don't want to have to start spending money on specific cards to keep up. I liked the idea of Duel Decks because they're preset, but I was hoping to make a custom Green/White that was still viable without needing a Planeswalker. To me, it just feels like a card that can either make or break a game if you draw it because of the huge utility it brings and the whole deck is gonna end up pivoting around it.
>>
>>47742916
White has plenty of exile target permanent cards. White is the exiliest of colors. Green doesn't really exile.
>>
>>47742916
Oblivion Ring.

Planeswalkers are a normal part of the game now. You just have to get used to it.
>>
>>47717374
guys what deck will GR Tron get me?
>>
>>47743000
It'll make everyone think you only just started playing this game and not invite you to anything after events.
>>
File: exile.png (302 KB, 751x626) Image search: [Google]
exile.png
302 KB, 751x626
>>47742952
This website could be wrong, but it only found these 4. Archon of Justice doesn't seem too bad; mana cost is a little high, but at least it does the job. I might just stick to playing Duel Decks rather than custom decks after all; I feel like it'll be less expensive in the long run, not to mention less stressful. Thanks for the help, man.
>>
>>47743070
You know creature isn't the only card type?
>>
>>47743070
Look up Oblivion Ring, Quarantine Field, Banishing Light, Beast Within. These are just some of the non-creature spells that handle PWs in GW
>>
>>47743070
You're only looking at creatures. You want to play enchantments, sorceries and instants. Even then, there's a ton more exile than those you're looking at.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[exile]&color=|[W]
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 223x310
>>47743070
This seem okay enough?
>>
So, I really like Pauper Teachings, toolboxy control decks are exactly down my alley. Anything similar in Modern? Slower decks that can tutor up for specific one or two-ofs?

Could Cruel Control fit a Teachings shell?
>>
>>47720360
How the fuck do you win?
>>
>>47743656
Maybe check the arrow that says 'win con'
Also, infect.
>>
>>47743566
It's gonna be useless against everything else
Oblivion Ring is more than enough
>>
>>47743585
Look up Gifts control decks, it might be a tad pricier than pauper but I'm certain theres a fun gifts/teachings/wombocombo. Grixis or Esper though?
>>
>>47720248
>>Manamorphose
Is a sorcery sir.
>>
>>47743766
Do you have a source?
>>
>>47743766
Manamorphose is instant.
>>
>>47743789
>>47743817
Oops, don't mind me guys, I was just being retarded.
It's been a while since I've seen a manamorphose honestly.
>>
>>47742678
>discard
>cheap removal
>blood moon
>efficient threats

how do we make this work?
>>
>>47743985
You don't because that card is bad and it's ability is useless in a Goblin deck. Do slow
>>
File: sky-hussar.jpg (68 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
sky-hussar.jpg
68 KB, 480x680
>>47736832
>>47737083
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/modern-archives/224106-deck-uw-flyers

Thunderclap Wyvern is a bad lord. 4cmc that dies to Bolt and no protection doesn't seem efficient. Same for Angel of Jubilation and Emeria Angel. Gravitational Shift is too expensive.

>Faerie Miscreant is the best thing ever
No. It really isn't.

Play a playset of Sky Hussar instead. With all the cheap creatures and token generation seems like a good card draw engine. Judge's Familiar is also a solid one drop.

You can also go the Spirits route so you can play Geist of Saint Traft along with Dragskol Captain, Rattlechains, and all the token generation plus the anthem effects.
>>
>>47743985
Splash green for actually good creatures.

Seriously Goblins have two options, bushwhacker slamming (why goblins though? Why not zoo?) or tribal (why goblins though? Why not elves?)
The answer for that in Modern is Piledriver and Chieftan, literally the only synergistic goblins in Modern, or a Lackey/Matron/Ringleader reprint. Legacy Goblins are the only true goblins, as IMO piledriver bushwhacker is less great than chaining burningtree emissaries.
>>
File: 60.jpg (79 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
60.jpg
79 KB, 312x445
>>47744091
Who says a goblin deck HAS to be lightning fast
Think outside of the box man
>>
>>47744194
It doesn't have to be. But for the cost, these cards are garbage
>>
>>47744151
But that sounds like esper tokens. Or spirit tribal.
Forecast is nice though
>>
>>47744194
>who says it has to be fast
>its ability only works if it does damage and it reduces its cost
The card, thats what says the deck has to be fast,
>>
>>47744355
>it either has to be fast or only have 5 drops
Great argument mate
>>
>>47744420
Goblin a shit

Shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>47744492
People like you are the reason these threads are garbage
>>
>>47744561
No. People thinking any casual tribe has game is not helping

I can post shitty birds and ask why it has to be control, but it doesn't help
>>
>>47744420
You posted a what is functionally a 3 drop that punishes you for not attacking by taking away its etb and costs 2 mana more. Goblins are all fast all the time you gomer
>>
>>47744561
Yea! Better fill out the same survey in the op every time!

Stroke that ego and make blog posts. That will make modern general great again.
This isn't reddit. Go there if you want a hug box
>>
okay /tg/, I'm broke af right now, but I'm gonna ask what precon commander decks are actually good to buy and which are good starting points. really though, I'm interested in the 2015 WB deck, and the one with Oloro (though people seem to hate Oloro; it doesn't imply whether or not the deck itself is good). those have colors I'm interested in playing, but Eternal Bargain is currently marked at $55 so if there are cards in there that I really just don't need it might be better to just buy parts of that deck instead.

I guess my two major issues are 1) I don't have a whole lot in the way of dual lands, and precon decks can help alleviate that. 2) what the hell are staple cards in this format? I've read about what kinds of card are basically useless, but not cards that are always useful. Ashnod's Altar is apparently a popular choice (which thankfully I have a good number of copies) and o-ring is an obvious one, but what about Terror? I have an Armageddon, but will my group murder me when I play it?
>>
>>47744667
Wrong thread.

Does nobody know how to use this site?
>>
>>47744687
fuck you're right, fuck me I don't know why I thought this was the commander thread
>>
>>47744650
You're the one promoting stagnating discussion
You're only allowed to discuss what already works in these threads, everyone has tunnel vision and nobody is interested in innovating or thinking for themselves
>>
>>47744707
That's not innovation. I'm all for new meme decks but these ideas are terrible and have already been beaten into the ground before

Come back with more than just another shit tribal proposal.
>>
>>47736832
dude archetype of imagination, tie down everyting you dont own
>>
>>47744886
Dude, modern.
>>
File: leyline.png (127 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
leyline.png
127 KB, 223x311
So if you're not on white and you bring Leyline of Sanctity as SB card, do you mulligan till you get it? What if your starting seven is pretty amazing?
>>
>>47745161
Don't run Leylines if they're not in your colors
>>
>>47745161
You better have discard like looting or lili
>>
File: oh god please help.jpg (65 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
oh god please help.jpg
65 KB, 640x462
Boros or Selesnya Allies
>>
>>47745817
Neither. What the fuck. Stop with the shit tribal.
You play elves or merfolk.
>>
File: 896789678578678678967.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
896789678578678678967.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>47745817
Mardu. Don't forget your commander.
>>
>>47745889
I can't believe they thought this card was good.
>>
>>47745832
or faeries
>>
>>47745915
No anon. Bad anon.
>>
>>47745912
Someone in one of these threads thought you could have commanders in modern.
>>
>>47746051
Oh I know lol

Wotc thought this was better than siege rhino and were worried it would warp standard
>>
>>47746051
Commander with a modern banlist is giving me a feeling in my penis like its getting sick and it makes me want to throw up. Who the fuck would want to blur those two things together.
>>
>>47745817
Holy fuck that art. What card is this?
>>
>>47746121
Spell Contortion
>>
>>47745832
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12137&d=269627&f=MO

Why must you shitters stifle the slightest bit of interesting conversation.
>m-muh merfolk
Fuck right off. I'm assuming Slivers is too plebian for someone with such patrician tastes as yourself too?
>>
>>47746219
Slivers suck. I played them for awhile

They are too inconsistent and kinda slow

>inb4 that one time they did good
>>
>>47745817

Naya. Collected company+Battlesinger make this deck viable.
>>
>>47746068
wotc also thought deadbridge goliath was going to be a standard defining staple.

They prove time and time again they have no idea how to play their own fucking game.
>>
>>47738516
That's not necessarily a bad thing, they'll eventually start creeping up in value.
>>
>>47746604

Don't forget Erberos Titan. They thought it was a good card.
>>
>>47746618
Titan might have been playable in the heyday of mono black devotion at least, Deadbridge Goliath was just a bad card for constructed.
>>
File: Jace.jpg (42 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Jace.jpg
42 KB, 223x311
>people actually paid over 80 bucks a piece for this shit
>"it's good outside of standard" they said
>"it will go up on value even when it rotates out" they said
>it hasn't rotated out and its price have been halved
>still losing value on a daily basis
>sees no play at all in modern

I hope you didn't fall for it Anon...
>>
>>47747287
I nearly did.
Bought lilis instead
>>
>>47738516
What's funny is that the original release was so small that the price difference between it and the expedition is very small
>>
File: 1457126986876.jpg (13 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
1457126986876.jpg
13 KB, 208x210
>dies to lightning bolt: the format
If lightning bolt was banned Modern would be a more diverse and interesting place.
>>
>>47717281
>Playing?
Esper Spirits Tribal

>Brewing?
Gitrog Dredgevine

>Favorite deck?
Death and Taxes

Actually I wanted some advice on my Jund Gitrog Dredgevine deck, because I seem to be unable to reduce the deck to the traditional 60 cards.

Here's my current decklist:

Creatures: (15)
>Bloodghast x4
>Golgari Thug x4
>Vengevine x4
>Sin Prodder x2
>The Gitrog Monster x2
>Ob Nixilis, the Fallen x1
>Tasigur, the Golden Fang x2

Sorceries: (11)
>Faithless Looting x4
>Traverse the Ulvenwald x3
>Life from the Loam x4

Enchantments: (5)
>Molten Vortex x1
>Seismic Assault x4

Instants: (9)
>Lightning Bolt x4
>Terminate x1
>Abrupt Decay x2
>Murderous Cut x2

Lands: (26)
>Bloodstained Mire x3
>Verdant Catacombs x3
>Wooded Foothills x3
>Blood Crypt x1
>Overgrown Tomb x1
>Stomping Ground x1
>Shinzo, Death's Storehouse x1
>Mortuary Mire x2
>Spinerock Knoll x2
>Mountain x3
>Swamp x2
>Forest x4

It's just that... Everything feels right as it is. I don't know what to take out.
>>
>>47747491
It would be a degenerate creature combo format. Or path would be that much better
>>
File: índice.jpg (10 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
índice.jpg
10 KB, 178x248
The card modern needs
>>
I'm tired of Standard and want a relatively cheap deck to get into modern. I play in a quite serious environment so no kitchen table stuff, I'm ok with tier 3 decks tho.

Is Valakut Breach a good deck ? Seems both solid and fun to play.

If not, any other decks in the same pricerange (around 500$) ?
>>
>>47747673
Valakut Breach is fun. Titanshift is similar as well, if you're interested in that kind of stuff.
>>
File: DCUum.jpg (270 KB, 1193x1769) Image search: [Google]
DCUum.jpg
270 KB, 1193x1769
Hey modern bros, how autistic are you when it comes to your land base? For example I only like having lands from the same set in my decks. My friend on the other hand is so autistic all his lands have to be 100% matching. So how about it? How autistic are your lands?
>>
>>47747729
Yes it looks fun but is it good ? I don't want to invest half a paycheck into a deck that will only net me losses.
>>
>>47747491
A format where Lightning Bolt is popular is a fair and healthy format.
>>
>>47747827

It's also a format where people won't run certain creatures purely because they die to lightning bolt
>>
>>47747795
>having different art lands

It's not autism. It's just gross to mismatch lands.
>>
>>47747795
I'm pretty autistic about it, my modern deck only has four basic lands so they have to be pretty ones. Like in your pic, I'm running Unhinged basics.
>>
>>47724172
BB
Counter target spell. Lose life equal to countered spells mana cost.
>>
>>47747849
And this is a problem because?
>>
>>47747816
It should do you fine at your LGS. If you're looking to win a GP, you should look elsewhere.
Oh, I forgot Eldrazi Taxes is also within your pricerange. As well as Ad Nauseam which won a GP recently. If you're willing to invest a little more money you could play Merfolk (600-650ish) which is a great deck, though not necessarily tier 1. Merfolk gives you the option to get into Legacy as well should you want to go that route.

Best thing is to watch videos of these decks and see what you like.
>>
>>47747891

It kills creativity
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.