[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eberron was a pretty neat campaign setting that took the wackiness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: ebca.jpg (45 KB, 262x339) Image search: [Google]
ebca.jpg
45 KB, 262x339
Eberron was a pretty neat campaign setting that took the wackiness of DnD tried to make it sort of work in a semi-coherent world.

Most everywhere I've seen, people (me included) seem to like it and enjoy it.

I've heard there are people that hate it, though? What gives? I can understand not being into it, since while it's a different variation on 'fantasy kitchen sink', it's still a fantasy kitchen sink, but I don't really get why someone can HATE it.
>>
It's too silly/magical/andworstofallsteampunkish for me.
>>
I honestly love it.

Run a half dozen campaigns in it, all with different big events that never cross and completely separate from the others.

I never got why people like>>47717054 saw it as steam punk as it has next to no steam punk in lore and lets you make up what the tech looks like.

What do you usually focus on during campaigns op? I never did anything with the war besides backdrop for the campaign, usually focusing on dungeon delving and exploring.
>>
>>47717027
They're short sighted.

Some people don't WANT PCs to have magic, and act like it's some travesty for people to expect it.

I dunno why.

Also, Eberron thread?
>>
>>47717415
I will share what is going on my campaign if anyone wants to hear.

The pcs began being turned out from the Wayfinder's Guild from being hired at the end of the Last War as a way to get away from just general destroyed homelands and being wanted for some.

Started them off in Yarlag in the Shadow Marshes, working for groups needing muscle. They have dealt with minor Shauguin attacks and stopped a cult from harvesting different humanoid parts for rituals.

They then explored an old goblin prison in the Byeshk Mountains where they ran into a much weakened rakshasa and stopped an inevitable from setting him loose from an old agreement and will have to deal with the fallout from there.

Slowly working the campaign up to an elder evils one, where a giant lord was caught on the edge of some major magic when the dragons wrecked their shit and he was stuck in the realm of madness for millennia.
>>
File: fuck the polis.jpg (45 KB, 632x480) Image search: [Google]
fuck the polis.jpg
45 KB, 632x480
>>47717027
I feel, while it tries to do something interesting on occasion, it does these things in the most low effort and boring way possible. Just feels soulless to me.
>>
>>47717027
Contrarianism. "It's popular, therefore it sucks."
>>
>>47717154
My guess would be elemental-powered airship system and train network, but that's also mostly concentrated mostly in one area.

Not that that's actually steampunk.
>>
File: 1295487149230.jpg (4 MB, 1545x2242) Image search: [Google]
1295487149230.jpg
4 MB, 1545x2242
>>47717027
it reminds me of final fantasy. which is a good thing for me. but not everyone likes that.
>>
I've been running too many gritty games. I recently started a 5e game in eberron; I'm trying to remember how to have fun again.

Inbetween intrigue murder mystery stuff I'm trying to do high flying larger than life magic ridiculous shit.
>>
>>47717664
I always saw it more of a chance to run Mummy like games with magic, but it turned off a lot of people who hated everyday magic like in 3.5 and 4e.

Elemental vessels skip steam punk and go straight for high magic setting when you actually look at them, even down to appearance. Most of the airships look like they would fit in Starcraft's Protoss line up then steam punk.

Really, the only steam punk thing I saw in it was creation forges and most of them are shut down or have more magic in them then tubes.
>>
>>47717764
If they hated everyday magic, why did they buy 3.5e in the first place?

People trying to playtest 3e under the same assumptions as 2e is what made 3e the mess it is in the first place.
>>
>>47717819
I totally agree.

I suffered through my share of dms that thought that no player should have magic and us fight magical enemies every game when I started about 12-13 years ago.
>>
>>47717027
I didn't much care for the approach of late TSR books or most of WotC's books to just constantly make huge loads of bullshit to flood into every setting instead of keeping settings and their shit separated from each other.
>>
>>47717863
That's nice dear, have some butterscotch.
>>
>>47717027
Well I don't hate it but:
>the wackiness of DnD tried to make it sort of work in a semi-coherent world.

A: Other setting have taken and RAN with D&D's wackiness. If all you know is forgotten realms I could see why you don't know other wise.

B: It... doesn't semi-coherent work in it's own setting, and I laugh every time I hear that. Oh don't get me wrong, it is fun- but this tag line just isn't true. It's more like sprinkling all the batshit crazy parts of science fiction into a fantasy setting and saying that "Makes sense."

Conclusion?
It's fun. Play it. Seriously, playing a Not-Robot able to blast people with energy rays (Electric punch from a distance) is laughably fun. Just don't believe the tag lines Eberron fanatics use.
>>
>>47717027

I'm just a few weeks away from finishing my first campaign as a GM, and Eberron fitted like a glove for my style and that of my players. Stormreach and Xen'drik in particularly were the perfect for the campaign.

My players went from a little band of Cyran refugees to champions of Stormreach. They fought off the gangs in the sewers and alleys, smuggled dragonshards with pirates, won glory in the arena, got into skirmishes with the local militias, explored the deeps of the jungle, saw the fallen glories of the giants and their degenerated descendants, broke the hold of the Emerald Claw on the city, capture and deliver a war criminal to justice, stop ancient elven mummies from drowning the city and right now are traveling deep into the underground of the city to stop the last remaining mummies in their last ditch effort of destroying the city by releasing the demon lord seal deep beneath the city.

Needless to say we had a lot of fun with Eberron.
>>
Is it good or bad that Eberron never advances?
>>
>>47719512
"Advancing" isn't really necessary for a campaign setting; it's not a novel series.
Instead what should be done is add more material that increases the number of player resources for the setting and especially the number of GM hooks.

You don't need to "advance" something to do that, since nearly all campaign settings have only the most basic and superficial aspects of them brought up, and the nitty-gritty details and bits are left completely untouched.
>>
>>47719512
Advance what? Eberron is set soon after the War ended, that's integral to the feel of the setting. The point of the game is that it's set in a cross between fantasy, post-WW1, and the 60s.

That's like asking "Is it good or bad that Spirit of the Century never advances?" The year is 1925ish, it's pulp, and that's the whole feel of the game.
>>
I don't hate Eberron. There's tons of great little stuff to steal for homebrew settings and I think it was the first thing to bring us warforged? That's awesome, and sometimes I get an urge to play in it, but that usually passes.

But it's not the setting for me. I respect it for being different and not the same aggressively repetitive Tolkein photocopy as every other setting, but I don't really like the atmosphere (the writing just doesn't excite me for some reason) and the magitek stuff isn't my stylistic preference.

It's good. But it's usually not for me. And that's okay.
>>
I'm DMing Eberron right now in 5e using the 4e campaign setting for reference.

The PC's are a business of magic item hunters. They collect stories and legends of ancient artifacts, weapons lost in the war, and fantastic contraptions and track them down to sell to the highest bidder.

I structure my game with each item or artifact being part of what I call a major arc with at least one dungeon in each one, usually with the item at the end of it.

The different nations, great houses, unique regions, and useful magic tools available in Eberron add an exceptional amount of variety to the game.

I definitely have plans to advance the story of the setting as the nations build up power and resources for the next inevitable war. The party is low level now but I'm sure once they have a big name for themselves, nations will send them to recover weapons to fuel their war machines.

All in all I'm glad I chose Eberron, I feel able to sprinkle a heavy does of magic in the places I feel it fits but equally feel justified in having a fair amount of the simple hamlets and villages of Khorvaire be normal low fantasy towns with very little magic to speak of.
>>
Eberron is best, I wish they'd hurry up and open it up on the DM's Guild.
>>
File: TLoLL.jpg (126 KB, 250x384) Image search: [Google]
TLoLL.jpg
126 KB, 250x384
Currently planning a campaign where the PCs are all going to be a part of an unknown thieves guild all looking to fill their pockets with as much gold as possible. Starting them off in Sharn, and gonna see where the shenanigans take them. Emphasis put on intrigue, and want it to feel similar to pic related.
>>
High-school era me bought every Eberron book they put out for 3.5. I love that setting, and all its over the top, gritty-but-sparkly, magic everywhere glory. I've heard it referred to as Dungeonpunk, and I kinda feel like that's a fitting term for it.
>>
>>47720596
It's definitely coming. A couple of months ago they released a prototype version of an Inquisitive subclass.
>>
>>47723586
Good!
>>
I'm playing in a 5e Eberron game where we're hunting down relics in ancient ruins. That's sort of what you'd expect, but being in Eberron means that we find a lot more minor magical loot that makes the whole business aspect harder.

Finding dragonshards instead of normal gems, for example, raises the question of if you should sell them or keep them. The variety of transport options and serviced from the dragonmark houses also keeps things moving.

I'm playing a Paladin of the Silver Flame, and since we started in Thrane I've had a lot of chances to interact with other members of the church
>>
>>47719992
Hey Erik
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.