[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tg/,this is driving me crazy. In 3.5,do I need just monkey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 3Kiouc7.jpg (224 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
3Kiouc7.jpg
224 KB, 1000x1414
So /tg/,this is driving me crazy.
In 3.5,do I need just monkey grip or also wield oversized weapon in order to wield a large greatsword as a medium creature?If it's the latter,what the fuck does monkey grip do actually?
Also can you dual-wield med gsworda with those feats(or can you at all)?
Now I understand why people refer to 3.5 as being incomprehensible.
>>
>>47710238
I haven't read the books in a long time, and I may be getting this mixed up with something else but I thought monkey grip allowed you to used 2 handed weapons in 1 hand.
>>
>>47710238
Well, wield oversized weapon requires monkey grip, BaB 21, and a strength score of 25, so unless you are playing epic levels, don't worry about wield oversized weapon.

Monkey grip lets you wield weapons one size category larger than the character at a -2 attack penalty. Example: A character without this feat treats a large 1h weapon as a 2h weapon, and incures a -2 attack penalty due to its unwieldy nature. With this feat, a character can wield a large 1h weapon as a normal 1h weapon, but still incures the -2 penalty. Similarly, a normal size character cannot wield a large 2h weapon due to it being unwieldy because of the size difference. With this feat, you can wield a large 2h weapon as a medium creature. You still take the -2 attack penalty.

Wield Oversized Weapon takes this a step further by allowing a character to treat a weapon as if it were 1 size category smaller, AND 1 weapon category smaller. Example, the player would treat a Large 2h weapon as a Medium 1h weapon. Monkey grip is overwritten (they do not stack), so normal weapon tracking is applied. This character could wield a Huge 1h weapon as a medium 2h weapon and incure the -2 attack penalty.
>>
>>47710238
As far as i remember, greatswords and great axes are already large scale, that's why you need two hands to use them. They could be used by a large sized creature with one hand.

I think you mean enormous sized weapons
>>
>>47710238
To answer the question about dual wielding medium greatswords, monkey grip does not let you treat weapons a size category smaller, it just allows the character to wield larger weapons 1 step higher than normal.

In the case of wield oversized weapon, you could wield 2 large greatswords as if they were medium longswords, incuring the normal 2w fighting penalties for the off hand not being a light weapon.
>>
>>47710790
>>47710859
>>47710867
>>47710238
So, taking your picture into account and the feats as written: yes, youd need both to wield a weapon like pic related without incurring lots of penalties.
>>
>>47710790
> This character could wield a Huge 1h weapon as a medium 2h weapon and incure the -2 attack penalty.

My bad, this is a mistake. Because of the wording of wield oversized weapon, a Huge 2h would be reduced to a Large 1h. Size category Huge -> Large, and weapon category 2h -> 1h. And a character can wield a Large 1h at a -2 penalty as a 2h weapon, so yeah, wield oversized weapon would let you wield a Huge greatsword at a -2 attack penalty. You could also wield a large greatsword main hand and Medium greatsword offhand and get the light weapon offhand bonus for 2wf (medium 2h becomes small 1h, and for a medium creature, a small 1h is a light weapon).
>>
>>47711087
I think i finally understood,thank you guys for helping me out in this autistic pursuit.
>>
>>47711247
You are welcome large weapon fighting guy! Glad to help clarify.
>>
Just take the feat Jutenbrud or anything with the Powerful Build ability. Then monkey grip it for another size category.

After playing it, monkey grip is a pretty shitty feat to be honest. You could take power attack and with the -2 get 4 pointa of damage in rather than the average of 2.
>>
>>47711618
Goliath best race
>>
Relevant:

Do Strongarm Bracers stack with Monkey Grip?

I'm seeing conflicting results on Google.
>>
As far as I can remember, they do not. I don't have a source, but that's just what I recall. It might be something in the Powerful Build ability description
>>
>>47711951
Only thing I see is that they do not stack with powerful build.

Kinda a cheap item and almost anyone I know would rather have that spot open for gauntlets or bracers of something else so I would say they stack.

Then again, I have completely different martial classes then the ones in the books so there is that.
>>
>>47711951
They do not. However, they do the same effect as monkey grip without the -2 penalty.

Stongarm bracers and monkey grip both specifically say weapons one size category larger than the character, which is a hard cap, and do not stack with each other.
>>
>>47711618
Jutenbrud?What's that?Never heard of it
>>
>>47712585

It's from either the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or the Forgotten Realms Players Guide.

It's a weak version of Powerful Build.
>>
You play 5e
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.