[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eclipse Phase Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: eclipsephase_cover_phs.jpg (330 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
eclipsephase_cover_phs.jpg
330 KB, 900x1165
Hi /tg/ I'm trying to get a grip on Eclipse Phase, but I'm having some trouble with the rules. Can you help? Thx.

>1. Seeker/Grenade Size:
So it says that Standard missiles double the damage value, Minimissiles are baseline and Micromissiles do -1d10 damage. But not all ammunition types are meant to deal damage (I.E. Smoke) It says that there should be other listed effects with size but I don't see anything.

On a similar note, how big are these sizes? Are microgrenades and micromissiles literally microscopic? How big is "standard"?

Finally, how long do smoke grenades/seekers last? And better yet, how far is the AoE?

>2. Task Actions:
So lets say you are trying to repair something, and it takes a task action that spends multiple turns. When do you roll? If before and the player fails they take extra time bassed on their Margin of Failure, can they just decide to give up before that? Especially if they are being shot at? Does the GM roll in secret? How does this work?

>3. Exotic Weapons:
There's only one noted in the core book-the Vortex Ring Gun-and even than the information is vague (It doesn't even mention the range of the thing). Where's the other Exotic Weapons? I'd imagine in expansion books right?

>4. Railguns and Silencers:
Apparently you can't put silencers on Railguns... I suppose this would have something to do with the fact that Railguns don't use explosive chemicals to propel the projectile, but it says that the projectile still makes "supersonic crack". Does that mean it's silent or not? I don't get it.

I may have more questions in the future as I keep reading the rules. Again, thanks for the help in advance.
>>
>Non-damage effects grenades/missiles.
Designer oversight, most likely.

Regarding AoE size
>For weapons with a uniform blast effect or other static blast area, divide the base listed radius in half for minigrenades and micromissiles and double it for standard missiles. [pg. 304]

I would suspect that standard grenades/missiles are comperable to the size of a handgrenade, or the rounds of a grenade launcher. Mini I suspect are small enough to be kept in the palm of your hand. I don't think microscopical explosives are a thing in EP.

>Task Actions.
You roll when you start the action. regarding if it's a failure:
>If a character fails on a Task action test roll, they work on the task for a minimum period equal to 10 percent of the timeframe for each 10 full points of MoF before realizing it’s a failure.
The worse they fail, the longer they spend on the taks before realizing it's a failure.

>Exotic Weapons
Exotic weapons are all weapons that don't fall under the other weapon categories. The skills list things like blowguns, crosbows, javelins etc as examples.
Regarding the lack of a range: designer oversight I suspect.

>Railguns and silencers.
You cannot put a silencer on a railgun, but a railgun is not silent.
What a silencer/suppressor does IRL, is slow down the bullet to be low supersonic speeds and reduce the noise of the expanding gasses leaving the barrel via a set of baffled chambers.
A railgun accelerates its projectile through a Lorentz Force driven slide. The noise it makes is the projectile breaking the sound barrier. You could probably mess with a railgun as such that the projectile isn't accelerated to supersonic speed, but by then you negate all the advantages of a railgun.
>>
File: lolikek.png (386 KB, 720x581) Image search: [Google]
lolikek.png
386 KB, 720x581
You better be playing a neotenic.
>>
>>47708451
>Designer oversight, most likely.
So what do I do?

>Regarding AoE size
Where does it talk about uniform AoE? Further more, I still need to know how long smokes/gasses take to spread/dissipate, it doesn't say in the gear section.

>The worse they fail, the longer they spend on the taks before realizing it's a failure.
Ok, but says who? What if the character in question is getting shot at? They're perfectly exposed. Wouldn't you bail on whatever it is you were doing? And wouldn't getting wounded in the process make even a successful test a failure along with extending the test? How long would someone stay and do something while every bullet they take extends how long it will take before they call it quits? It just seems silly.

>Exotic weapons are all weapons that don't fall under the other weapon categories. The skills list things like blowguns, crosbows, javelins etc as examples.

But where are those? I have yet to see any stats on the above mentioned weapons.

>You cannot put a silencer on a railgun, but a railgun is not silent.

Well, at least one question was solved XD
>>
>>47708451
>I would suspect that standard grenades/missiles are comperable to the size of a handgrenade, or the rounds of a grenade launcher. Mini I suspect are small enough to be kept in the palm of your hand. I don't think microscopical explosives are a thing in EP.
Agreed, something THAT dangers is bound to do something bad if it's ever lost. How would it even fit an effective payload into something that small? And even then, it doesn't make a lot of sense, from a practical angle: If a standard missile is the size of a 40mm grenade launcher, you'd expect them to be able to fit in an under-barrel launcher. And if they can be made so small that you'd need a microscope to see them, then wouldn't you be able to stick dozens on an armband. And assuming mini is hand concealable, it would probably be bullet sized and easily be able to fit in a seeker pistol. I suspect standard is literally standard sized for an RPG, if not smaller, mini is 20-40mm (though I'd assume that they would work for underbarrel launchers if that were the case) and micro would be the size of a pistol round.

>>47708549
No idea what that is yet, just going through the rounds with filling out practice sheets.
>>
>>47708451
Ok, so apparently the range of the VRG is at the back at the book.
>>
>>47709067
>Designer oversight wat do?
You/Your GM will need to make a call on what the ruling in these cases will be.

>Base AoE size.
Most AoE munitions list a base radius of effect. In the case it doesn't, you/your GM will need to make a ruling.

>Mid-combat taks action.
Eclipse Phase is a silly system.

>exotic weapons
They're nowhere in the books. It's another one of those "make something up yourself" things, which is really bad, considering the game is extremely granular on almost every level.

>>47709096
Neotenics are loli-/shotamorphs.
>>
>>47709265
>Eclipse Phase is a silly system.
Any suggestions then?
>Neotenics are loli-/shotamorphs.
Oh yeah, forgot that's what they were called.

Anyway, just ran into another problem. Dual wielding. Now, I know the book talks about multiple attacks and offhand disadvantages, but it's exclusively for melee or range weapons, not both at the same time. How do you go with a pistol in one hand and sword in the other?

And for that matter, Are all melee weapons to be treated as one handed, unless common sense dictates otherwise? (Garrotes are impossible to use one handed)
>>
>>47709386
If I had an alternative, I'd gladly share it
>>
OP here, I had some more questions.

>1. Shredders and Shard Pistols.
I'd assume they are like shotguns with the Damage and AP switched (Haven't looked into whether or not they have a cone spread). But considering they have a completely different kind of ammunition, I'm curious to know how they work. Do they have cartridges? Do those cartridges get ejected?

>2. The date:
Is there one? It only seems to mention it on the context of The Fall. I suppose it could just be to give the GM some freedom to establish the date, but still, is there?
>>
>>47710097
>The date
The date is shaky as fuck, but math and some setting information points to somewhere around 2150-2170 or so.
> I'm curious to know how they work. Do they have cartridges? Do those cartridges get ejected?
You and me both, brother, we had an entire thread on that shit almost by itself.

Also, check out the Eclipse Phase General, we can help you a lot more there.
>>47694056
>>
>>47710369
>we can help you a lot more there.
How so? It's all on the same bored isn't it? Also this website doesn't seem like the kind of place where multiple conversations can go on easily.
>>
File: appchanx.png (89 KB, 1312x656) Image search: [Google]
appchanx.png
89 KB, 1312x656
>>47712219
Newish to 4chan?

Grab Appchanx, it uses scriptmonkey.
Vanilla 4chan you can follow reply chains backwards, Appchanx adds a link next to a post number that shows all replies to the post and can nest them in order of reply.

It will show single posts floating if you mouse over said links. It also has a convenient side-bar reply box so you don't have to type at the top.

It looks like a mess in this screencap, but it's very functional.

>How so? It's all on the same bored isn't it?
More people will be reading that thread than this one. More views = more potential replies. Threadjacking 101, but that's what Generals threads are for. Plus it keeps the board tidy.
>>
>>47712603
Generals are shit and stagnate boards, it would be better if moot had banned them.
>>
>>47712693
Eh,
look at /v/ and /vg/
99 of 100 times /vg/ is more functional

And if we had every newbie question as it's own thread, it would clog up the board and make us more hostile than if it stays contained
>>
>>47708120
All the non-damaging grenades/seekers besides smoke have a 10 meter area of effect. I'm not sure why smoke doesn't, but giving it a 10 meter AoE would be consistent with the rest.

A standard missile is probably about the size of an AT4 round, or a bit larger. Minimissiles I've generally thought of as a long 40mm grenade, and micromissiles about the size of a .50 BMG bullet.

Grenades should be about grenade sized, and minigrenades probably golf ball sized.

[Task Actions]
>When do you roll?
At the start.

>If before and the player fails they take extra time bassed on their Margin of Failure, can they just decide to give up before that?

I'm not sure you're understanding is correct, or that I'm understanding the question correctly. If you fail, you fail, and spend at least 10% of the time per 10 MoF working on it before you realize it's a bust. So if you fail a task action which takes 1 minute by 10, you realize that this won't work after about 6 seconds. For a task action with a timeframe of 10 days, you'd realized after a day that you failed with that same MoF.

Some people allow retroactive taking extra time for certain things, so failure really means that it'll take longer, but that's now the RAW.

[Exotic Weapons]
The monowire garrote is another exotic weapon in the core rules. The most useful exotic weapon is probably Exotic Weapon: Swarmanoid, which lets you use 5000 robot bees as a weapon. In general there aren't a lot of them, and the class is largely for GM created exsurgent or alien weapons.

[Railguns and silencers]
Rail weapons don't have fast-expanding exhaust gasses to baffle with a silencer, and they fire hypersonic projectiles so the projectile is loud no matter what. They aren't silent, and the mechanics a silencer uses aren't relevant to them.
>>
>>47710097
>Is there one? It only seems to mention it on the context of The Fall. I suppose it could just be to give the GM some freedom to establish the date, but still, is there?

Some time between 2130 and 217X. I use 2141 myself.

Shredders aren't well explained. I *think* they're light gas guns, and they're probably caseless. They do have a cone spread, but behave more like 40k Eldar shuriken weapons than shotguns if you're familiar.
>>
I literally named my cat Jove, so I guess I'm a bio-conservative neo-Peronist now.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.