[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy alphabets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 20160609_203643.jpg (514 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20160609_203643.jpg
514 KB, 1600x1200
Do you enjoy creating your own alphabets, with their own kind of rules, for your settings? like tolkien did
>>
>>47699607
I used to, until I realized that all I was really doing was making substitution cyphers out of random symbols and got bored.
>>
>>47699626
The point is going beyond the "leter A = leter 1". The fun stuff is making a new system to write the sounds of the language, and also new ways to arange those simbols.
For example cramp "c", "k" and "q" in one simbol. Or invent a different set of vowels. Or make the vowels little marks around the other letters.
>>
>>47699766
My problem is that I do not know enough about languages to do that.
>>
>>47699607
The ones I've made are almost universally abugidas. I just find them the simplest but also easiest enough to understand for my feeble monolingual brain. I'm also infatuated with the look of stuff like Devenagari, Bengali, and Tibetan.
>>
>>47699981
none of the things he just listed take knowledge of languages
>>
>>47699981

I have just the resource for you - the Language Construction Kit.
http://www.zompist.com/kit.html
>>
>>47699984
Abugidas are the most synthetic you can get with english or spanish (in my case), because those languages have a shit-ton of different syllables. Maybe you can take some common syllables and invent new shorter ways to write them, but trying a sillabarium is impractical.
>>
>>47699607
Less an alphabet, and more something like hobo signs for adventurers. But yeah, that kind of shit is fun.
>>
>>47700509
Am I missing something here? Abugida's seem very similar to alphabets. They're not syllabaries.
>>
File: 9780143126461_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg (56 KB, 410x630) Image search: [Google]
9780143126461_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg
56 KB, 410x630
>>47699981
I like syllabaries.

Also, there's a neat book, the Art of Language Invention. I recommend it. If nothing else, it's fun.
>>
>>47699607

Is there a resource that can teach you Elvish? I know people can learn Klingon.
>>
I like making up words in a language that doesn't exist and then giving the words meaning, so I can make names that mean really cool stuff, or just make a cool name with no meaning, but sounds like it's some ancient language
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.