[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>secretly signing my book How mad would you be if the authors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
>secretly signing my book

How mad would you be if the authors of your recently-purchased game manual did this?
>>
Why would I be mad that the author of D&D 5e signed my player's handbook? It just increases any resale value the book has.
>>
File: REX.jpg (748 KB, 660x1080) Image search: [Google]
REX.jpg
748 KB, 660x1080
>>47698269

Would depend on if it's with a pen or a marker. Also if any artwork is covered vs one of those extra blank pages that sometimes happen on print runs.

As far as game books go I can't remember the last time I've been in a FLGS.

How many of you folks still go to brick and mortar places to buy RPG books?
>>
>>47698269
Quite. It means they didn't sign it for me, but for their own amusement.
>>
>>47698269
Somewhere between 0 and not at all.
>>
>>47698269
It would be weird but not unwelcome and like >>47698306 said, if there was a way to prove it is the author's actual signature I'd just resell it.
>>
>>47698269
>buying books
>>
>>47698269
So very mad. I don't know if I could bear it, having writing in a book. Almost as bad as those insufferable cunts who write helpful notes in the margins of recipe books.

>>47698315
Brick and mortar helps bring at least a little bit of interest into the hobby, so I like to support my local. Having a big sign with a dragon on it on a public street might get a few people interested; I know it did for me.
>>
>Generally, if you're concerned about the value of your cards above and beyond any other consideration, then no, you should not get your cards signed. You especially should not get your card signed if you're thinking about getting a card professionally graded, as this will significantly hurt the value of your card to other people.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/16950_Insider-Trading---Autographed-Cards.html

Same goes for game books. Autographs devalue what they mark.
>>
>>47698416
>Almost as bad as those insufferable cunts who write helpful notes in the margins of recipe books.
I know, right? Who the fuck are you to tell me how I should recipe?
>>
>>47698315
>How many of you folks still go to brick and mortar places to buy RPG books?

I don't buy books. I prefer a digital format. No extra weight, easier to search (hello control+F my old friend), and easier to distribute to friends.

If I had no choice but to get a real tree-murder book, I'd get it online because it's cheaper and easier.
>>
>>47698486
>I don't buy books. I prefer a digital format.

How long are your batteries gonna last once the apocalypse hits friendo?
>>
File: 1362693592015.jpg (90 KB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
1362693592015.jpg
90 KB, 640x368
>You will never have an ex libris
>>
>>47698269
I wouldn't be happy about it. If it actually increased value compared to retail, I'd just sell the autographed copy and grab a new one. Otherwise I'm demanding a clean copy or my money back.
>>
>>47698315
It's a must to support your local place, especially in towns with only one game store. The guy that runs my local one has boxes of back issue Dragon back to the 80s, and very obscure used sourcebooks. Even after my group went their seperate ways, i still go back every now and then and buy some odd sourcebook i've never seen with interesting art, and some old Dragons just to read for nostalgia, in an attempt to fill that void in my life. 15 years and counting.
>>
>>47698269
I wouldn't be mad at all since I don't have any autism.
>>
>>47698505
speak for yourself
>>
>>47698269
jelly of those biceps and delts
>>
>>47698417
That's stupid. Not saying you're wrong, but it's stupid
>>
>>47698269
...I wouldn't? What sort of autist would you have to be to- oh. Right. /tg/. Sometimes you guys really disappoint me.

You guys would probably consider me pretty scummy anyway. I'm the sort who likes to really use their game books. All of mine have terrible, terrible things, like post-it notes inside, tabs for different sections, worn and creased seams... I think finding an autograph from an author would be fantastic, and I'd enjoy having it.
>>
>>47698269

I pirate all my shit and I don't care about autographs anyway, they seem singularly absurd to me.
>>
>>47699166
This is how to tg.

Finding the authors signature would be cool. As long as they did it in an appropriate spot. If they left a little message even better.
>>
>>47698503
>Implying that the apocalypse is going to happen.
>>
>>47699526
That'd be so cool. Just something small, like on the inside cover. A little 'thanks for buying, hope you have fun' sort of thing. I'd get really excited and cherish that book. Especially if it's one of my favorite books, or for a splat I enjoy a lot. Though a core book would probably be the best. Just something you use a lot and often have onhand.
>>
>>47698417
>http://www.starcitygames.com/article/16950_Insider-Trading---Autographed-Cards.html
>Once upon a time, a young Ben Bleiweiss was in charge of taking care of customer exchanges at this here StarCityGames.com. The most common complaint I received? Someone had ordered a Near Mint version of a card, but received a signed copy of that card, and didn't consider that card to be Near Mint.
>Eventually, we decided that artist-signed cards would start as Slightly Played condition cards; if the card was signed and Near Mint or Slightly Played, we classified it as Slightly Played. If it was signed and Heavily Played, we'd put it in our Heavily Played inventory, of course.
> would our processing costs (acquiring the card, sorting a bevy of autographed cards by set, alphabetizing them) give us justification for a higher price tag?

So these cucklefucks just threw signed cards in with the rest, later decided it was too much work to try and see what business there was in separating them and called it a wash?
>>
>>47700097
>So these cucklefucks just threw signed cards in with the rest, later decided it was too much work to try and see what business there was in separating them and called it a wash?

This offends you as a businessman?
>>
>>47700459
I'm not sure what level they're getting me at but some part's offended.

Now maybe I'm wrong and I don't understand the complicated procurement systems that SCG go through after they finish their morning group wank sessions.

That said however I imagine it involves all the things he just listed already so they're already doing all of that and apparently lots of signed cards were coming in. So I'm really struggling to think of the way they can't just add a pile for signed cards and jack up the price knowing some nerd has a boner for Froggilo or whatever his name is.
>>
>>47698269
dem biceps
>>
>>47698417
Wait you care about keeping near mint grades for resale on you gaming books?

Who does that?
>>
>>47701223
People who have the autismus, because their mummy let the spoopy doctum give them vaxeems.
>>
>>47701272
Well, that's what you get for going to a skeleton doctor
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.