[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
File: Best General.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Best General.png
1 MB, 1024x768
In With The Old Out With The New Edition

>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
https://mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q
>>
File: 1432090310938.jpg (94 KB, 540x900) Image search: [Google]
1432090310938.jpg
94 KB, 540x900
>>
File: Titus_infobox.jpg (150 KB, 647x727) Image search: [Google]
Titus_infobox.jpg
150 KB, 647x727
How does one exit the suit anyways? The emporer can wait, I must relieve a bodily need.
>>
>>47691530
Though many of the modular plates and the like can be removed by the battle-brother in question, it often requires a dedicated small team to make quick work of it, for both donning and doffing the armour.
>>
>>47691713
good work steve-o
>>
>>47691719
Well the OP wasn't doing it!

But yeah, woopsies
>>
>>47691632
>>47691530
Which is how armor worked for knights, just exaggerated.
>>
>>47691530
they also can piss and shit in their suits. it gets recycled into drinking water!
>>
>>47691732

You didn't answer my question, you autist.

If the doors glued shut, does it block LOS or not?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say NO
>>
>>47691530
>I must relieve a bodily need.
SM power armor recycles body waste
>>
>>47691758
EAT YOUR POOP!
EAT IT!!!
>>
>>47691472
what time is it in bongland?
>>
>>47691750
so what you're saying is that space marines have a fanny door...
>>
>>47691753
Just use the old rules for drop pods. GW is creating problems where there were none.
>>
>>47691777
About thirty after two in the UK, mate.
>>
>>47691777
2:30pm.

>>47691753
Wasn't there some rule that stated a unit within a Drop Pod was lost if none of the doors could be opened? Anyway, I'd assume it would be up to the players in question instead of any niche rule that GW has actually written themselves.
>>
>>47691809
what i mean is, i don't want drop pods blocking LOS to become a "thing". If GW employees weigh in on it I don't want them pulling some asshat move and saying, "Hurr, Durr, yup, shur duz!"
>>
So I have a game against Imperial Guard tomorrow at 2000pts.

He is bringing a Bane Blade but I didn't think of asking which variant. Also a Pask with buddy tank and a third Leman Russ, three Wyverns then a bunch of infantry blobs.

Never seen a baneblade on the tabletop before, how do they compare to other Superheavies?

Usually against codices I know are weaker I will bring some Deathwing to tone down my list but with all his armor I feel the Ravenwing would be more useful, however I am pretty sure wyverns have ignore cover.
>>
>>47691788
as an Englishman, no marines has even had a fanny, or a door for one
>>
If they would just make a damn effort and try to nip these questions in the bud, people would stop asking them. Leaving everything open to intepretation just creates more hassle for store employees and turnament managers who have to put up with that shit.
>>
File: 1406208526654.png (126 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1406208526654.png
126 KB, 268x265
I like how people are throwing a gasket about drop pods with doors glued shut and calling people WAAC faggots for doing it.

I glued my pod doors shut because I didn't want to paint the insides.
>>
>>47691869
they at least have to have a hose or something.
>>
>>47691877
there is nothing wrong with gluing your drop pod doors shut if thats what you want to do. It just shouldn't block LOS is all.
>>
>>47691892
They have a cup i imagine
but i dont think you get what a fanny really is
its a ladys front bottomaka a vagoo
>>
>>47691854
Wyverns do indeed, ignore cover.

Baneblades are capable of massive damage, though the exact output varies. For example, the Stormlord has 2 Vulcan Mega-Bolters that are both Heavy 15, and if he doesn't move, can fire twice in one shooting phase. It can also carry 40 passengers. It's range is 60" and is Str 6 AP 3.

And that's just for my favorite variant.
>>
>>47691903
seeing as the rules are true LoS, it clearly does
>>
>>47691906
oh. well here in burgerland we bastardize the term to mean ass. Think lindy beige had a thing about this once. "Arse! Not ass! It makes you sound like priss!"
>>
>>47691917
The Stormlord has ONE VMB that is TWINLINKED.

but yes it can fire twice
>>
>For the whole of this edition, if LOS is blocked (by anything) when looking from a firing model's POV, you can't shoot at a target you can't see
>FAQ says that if LOS is blocked (by a drop pod) when looking from a firing model's POV, you can't shoot at a target you can't see
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>47691921
Then whatever you put in there shouldn't be able to disembark if they can't get their doors open.
>>
>>47691921
Then you're a fucking retard and you're seed should be wiped from this earth because you are obviously too stupid to live on this planet with the rest of us.
>>
>>47691750
>It gets recycled
Can't Space marines safely eat and drink just about anything? The recycling process is removing precious nutrients!
>>
>>47691936
Lots of people glue the doors of their transports shut. Do you claim your opponent's models can't disembark from their rhino/chimera/devilfish/whatever if the doors don't actually open?
>>
>>47691933
Whoops, you're right! Sorry about that one, I was going by memory there.

Checking the rules, it doesn't get Twinlinked, but it can fire twice and it may fire at different targets.
>>
>>47691934
but you only glued the god damn droppod doors shut to confer an advantage based on a technicality! You should either make an exception or forbid people from gluing their god damn doors shut, PERIOD END OF FUCKING STORY GO DIE IN FIRE
>>
>>47691921
If you want to follow RAW?
>>47691936
The unit embarked on the Drop Pod is automatically removed from play.
>>
>>47691968

Sad part is that there are plenty of people in this hobby who would glue the doors shut on their drop-pods if they knew it conferred an advantage.
>>
>>47691968
>but you only glued the god damn droppod doors shut to confer an advantage based on a technicality!
Literally a strawman argument.
>>
When would that Scions box be out?

This month?

Or later in the year?

I've got a burning wallet.
>>
>>47691960
Look, you can't get it both ways. You can't get true los on a door that should by all rights be open, or else you shouldn't be allowed to bring drop pods with closed bay doors to the table.

Honestly, if someone tried to pull this crap during a game i probably would not want to play with them.
>>
>>47691946
its the rules m8

>>47691936
bearing in mind RAW you can start measuring from the tip of the drop pod doors for disembarking, it can be a disadvantage to shut them

>>47691983
i mean dont you follow RAW? what do you do, make it up as you go along? sounds gay
>>
>>47691995
Seriously, how can you not be punching yourself in the nuts right now for your own stupidity? How can you live with that blob of protozoan protoplasm between your ears without literally tearing your own eyes out and pissing on them for being such a massive retard?
>>
>>47691997
Just get four of them and you'll be able to field one of their formations in their pitifully small codex. You'll have 3 extra unnecessary commissars, but eh, you could do some conversions on them.
>>
>>47691998
>Oh, you've got two wraithknights? Okay, they're legal.
>Hey, a riptide wing and an optimised stealth cadre. Those are legal too, got no problems playing those
>WHAT THE FUCK YOUR DROP POD DOORS ARE CLOSED THAT'S TOTALLY ILLEGAL AND GAME BREAKING I'M LEAVING
>>
>>47692003
No, i follow Rules As Intended, because Rules as Written is fucking garbage. If your going to insist on following the letter of the law you should choose your wording a damn sight more carefully than GW
>>
>>47692026
I was planning on getting two boxes to ally into some SM with, and was going to give the extra commissar to my Tyranid friend for his Flyrant's base.

Just wanted to know when I should expect to see them available for purchase since my birthday is coming up.
>>
>>47692028
You're a jackass. Of course I'm not going to play with some idiot who's spamming riptides and wraithknights.
>>
Is it normal to build your whole army around one unit at low points?

Looking to buy my first box this weekend and I like the Eldars' vehicles. The Vyper , Fire Prism and Hemlock Wraithfighter all look pretty cool.

My friends told me just to avoid Windriders and Wraith Knights which I think is doable.

Do Guardians in Wave Serpeants work well? I probably wouldnt want more than 2 or 3 of them.

Already bought my Dark Vengeance Rulebook and will be picking up my codex tomorrow too.
>>
>>47692021
Christ you seem a tad angry m80

>>47692032
Sure you can, but that only works for games where you play a small consistent group, who can all get together and agree on rules before hand.Not all of us have that luxury
>>
>>47691960
They are completely different cases to me. The Drop Pod will obstruct much more with its doors closed. If you modeled it that way and dont expect it to block LOS that is fine but if you closed the doors and want it to block then you are a cunt .
>>
If I know my rival plays space marines/grey knights, should I use TL Plasma on 2 Broadsides or is the SMS OK?
>>
I'll play with someone who brings 2 riptides or flyrants or even one wraithknight to a 1500 point game assumming I'm running a competitive list, but I'm not going to fucking play someone who brings a riptide wing to a 1500 point game.
>>
>>47692038
Oh, that's cool mate. I don't know when they'll be out, but they'll be available for pre-order this weekend. If you want to run the formation it comes with, I'd suggest just buying an extra commissar to give to your friend.
>>
>>47692032
>No, i follow Rules As Intended, because Rules as Written is fucking garbage.

Hey everyone thought Salamanders should get their 4+ FNP against Baleflamers according to RAI but GW just confirmed that the RAI matches the RAW: they don't.

It's notoriously difficult to use RAI when you don't know what the developers are thinking. This runs double for GW when some codices (Orks) feel like they were written by a committee of a thousand monkeys.
>>
>>47692021
>>47691968
>GO DIE IN FIRE
>Seriously, how can you not be punching yourself in the nuts right now for your own stupidity? How can you live with that blob of protozoan protoplasm between your ears without literally tearing your own eyes out and pissing on them for being such a massive retard?
If you're not going to make arguments and just throw around insults, kindly fuck off back to /v/.

Also, try to be less mad over hypothetical situations. Drop pods with closed doors have been being put on tables for years, and TLOS has been being played for years. I have NEVER heard anyone actually complain about a game being affected by this issue in all that time. You've seen a FAQ and got really, really mad over an imagined situation in your head.
>>
>>47692049
don't take wraith guardians or warp spiders either.
>>
>>47692083
Oh, they'll be up for pre-order this weekend?

I can wait then, maybe by then one of those shitty jobs I applied to will respond.
>>
File: chiawuauw.png (128 KB, 478x225) Image search: [Google]
chiawuauw.png
128 KB, 478x225
>>47691931
>>47691906
>tfw Fanny is a girls first name here in sweden
>>
>>47691998
So you're saying if someone brought forgeworld drop pods to the table (the ones with solid cores), you'd refuse to play against them?

Maybe I should dust mine off and make a big wall in front of someone's firebase and see if they flip out.
>>
What's best for holding an objective? A lad of shooters or smackers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V35jvY0u7I
>tfw spending money on clothes instead of some minis you wanted and feeling old
>>
>>47692093
Oh its also one in the UK too

>know a guy with a uncle Richard and an aunt Fanny
>>
>>47692090
Aww man, warpsiders too? I thought they looked pretty cool.

Also I wanted to get Illic Nightspear because the model looks cool but I am not sure what she would play well with. I suppose I have to get a farseer as it seems like a decent HQ to keep simple and stick with some guardians.

Some of the Pheonix Lord Hqs look cool too.
>>
>>47691936
Why not? A vehicles things don't need too function on the model for them to work in the game.
>>
>>47692087
The confusion is because soul blaze is often used to represent ongoing damage while simultaneously being written in the fluff as something supernatural.

I could make a weapons upgrade to a flamer called "napalm" then say it has soulblaze without it being represented as having any supernatural property whatsoever and it would be perfectly logical to assume that that salamanders had a FNP save against it.

DESU, RAW wasn't very clear on what did and did not constitute a flamer to begin with, so RAI was the default go to option.
>>
>>47692032
The handy thing about FAQs is that they tell us the RAI.
>>
>>47692107
shooters, your smackers should be attacking otherwise they're useless
>>
>>47692089
I got MAD over the fact that some asshole would try to weasel a cover save or even put their unit out of line of sight because of a closed droppod door.

Its a deliberate attempt to either abuse the system, troll their opponent and make me angry, so yes, i consider it a calculated insult to anyone with half a brain.
>>
>>47692107
I prefer shooters so they can get work done when the enemy isn't coming near as well. But objective campers that you half expect to get assaulted are good candidates for Mr Hidden Power Weapon.
>>
>>47692118
Do they fuck? Do they film it? Do they upload it and if so where can i see that?
>>47692157
ah ye soundz about right
wagh day, gud sir
>>
>>47692061
I dunno, everyone i know has already been playing it as closed doors blocks LoS.
Seems pretty ok to me, its what the rules say after all and the game was never a realistic simulation
>>
>>47692049
>Is it normal to build your whole army around one unit at low points?
Considering even at high points the meta is putting all your eggs in one invisible, bike-based basket, probably.

It's still a dicky move and pretty WAACy to do.
I wouldn't do it in a chill garage game or one for fun if I were you.
>>
>>47692121
well, if you do take warpspider, only use their jump ability once per turn.
>>
>>47692164
You don't actually play the game, do you?
>>
>>47692049

I think you should hold off on the Hemlock till you play at a point level where fliers are more acceptable.

Wave Serpeants almost feel like a waste transporting basic troops but they will get the job done.

Vypers are fun but I hardly see them used, personally I would use them to quickly flank from some side armor but I can't remember all there wargear options.

A Farseer, two or four boxes of troops, two Wave Serpeants should be your big starting purchase along with the codex. Depending on unit size and load out I bet you could be playing at least 750 before adding in the Fire Prism and Vypers.
>>
>>47692152
when they are clearly written answers to specific questions they do.

when they are ambiguous answers to even more ambiguous (and almost assuredly loaded) questions they only cause more confusion.
>>
>>47692164
Fuck off /v/,no one wants you here.
>>
>>47692150
>DESU, RAW wasn't very clear on what did and did not constitute a flamer to begin with
Yeah it was, the rulebooks and codexs had lists in the explicitly defining what was a flamer weapon.
>>
File: 1464713403559.jpg (31 KB, 172x332) Image search: [Google]
1464713403559.jpg
31 KB, 172x332
>>47692118
I bet they were the constant joke at the family BBQs
>>
>>47692183
I haven't in a while, but I know there are people like this and the tournament scene is riddled with them.
>>
>>47692194
except the chaos codex, which was written in 2012, 3 years prior to 7th edition.
>>
>>47692190
The faq answer is pretty clearly written, go by the model.
There's zero ambiguity yhere
>>
>>47692107
Sniper Shooters with a lot of Shots or Stout, Sturdy Smackers with Objective Secured.

Either one is fine, though the shooters will probably end up costing less than the Smackers in most armies.
>>
>>47692200
Well, yeah, tournaments. They have fuckers that leave the wings off their fliers to make them easier to hide, and for some reason TOs allow it.
>>
>>47692178
Do all armies have units they should avoids and tactics they shouldn't use?

My group of friends getting me into 40k are using Daemons, Imperial Fist Space Marines, Salamander Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Adeptus Mechanicus and Grey Knights.
>>
>>47692226
Its because turnament organizers and GW staff are afraid to put their foot down. They don't want to offend anyone so they basically put it on the cunt who complains the least.
>>
>>47692210
Yeah and the rulebooks list included unique ones from older codexs and the khorne deamonkin codex published after the rulebook doesn't list the baleflamer as a flamer.
>>
>>47692196
They are slightly older, white and middle class. cant even acknowledge it with sly comments, its the worse
>>
File: All that tea in the water.png (111 KB, 1026x1234) Image search: [Google]
All that tea in the water.png
111 KB, 1026x1234
>>47692118
>tfw my Dads name is Richard Edward
my grandparents must have had a cruel sense of humour
>>
>>47692230
its more a matter of using them approriately.

bringing a single wraithknight to a 1500 point game isn't game breaking, niether is using scatterbikes assumming you don't take a dozen of them. Warp Spiders aren't that broken when you limit their use to once a turn like you are supposed to, but desu the only unit thats so broken that people might refuse to play you are wraithguard.

D spam and D spam templates will cause people to avoid you altogether.
>>
>>47692121
They're telling you not to take those because people see those units as overpowered. Take what you like and think looks cool, just don't spam too much of one unit - a unit of Warp Spiders in an Aspect formation, yeah, they're cool. 30 Warp Spiders is taking the piss (on some people's opinions)

In the end, get what you think looks cool, but read up on the units you think look cool and see what they do and how good they generally are (1d4chan Eldar Tactics gives a rundown of every unit, I'm sure there are plenty of codex review blogs that do as well).

It will be easier once you get your codex, but try to think about what you want in your army - low points is around 500-1000 for most people (unless you play kill team), so make a 500 point list and buy towards that, it'll save you money in the long run if you buy with a purpose.

But yes, guardians in a Wave Serpent are a perfectly good choice, the Wave Serpent is one of the best troop transports in the game.
>>
>>47692258
>That one friend that keeps bringing Night Knightans to 1000 point games
I'm that guy
>>
>>47692189
Thank you for this advice.

Maybe I will just get the codex and stop at a craft store for hobby supply and do more research on units.
>>
File: 1445035612349.jpg (26 KB, 248x244) Image search: [Google]
1445035612349.jpg
26 KB, 248x244
Rate my 1850 list comrades

Lord Commissar
Engiseer - x5 servo arm servitors
PCS - autocannon, x2 snipers, bolt pistol
Platoon squad
Platoon squad - missile launcher
Conscripts x50 - priest, commissar
PCS - autocannon, x2 snipers, bolt pistol
Platoon squad - autocannon
Platoon squad - missile launcher
Conscripts x50 - priest, commissar
HWT x15 - autocannon
Wyvern x3
Leman Russ Vanq - camo
Basilisk - camo
Aegis - quadgun
>>
>>47692240
which is basically YOU inferring their intent, is it not? (and not incorrectly, i might add)
>>
>>47692285
Have fun painting 100 conscripts.

Its not even a theme list, bro.
>>
>>47692295
No, it's just applying raw. The baleflamer could have been on the list but isn't, so raw it mustn't be a flamer.
>>
I'm doing Crusader shooty squads, what combo of Special and Heavy is the best for roosting objectives and giving dank support to the 8/8 LRC Crusaders?
>>
>>47692285
Not sure you've got enough armour to really make the most of that enginseer and all his servitors.
>>
>>47692255
>TopBritBants
>>
>>47692336
but you applied it retroactively, which required an active interpretation on your part.
>>
File: Boxserker.png (224 KB, 420x371) Image search: [Google]
Boxserker.png
224 KB, 420x371
This thread has been claimed by the boxserker for the box god. Only shitposts will remain, but then again very few proper posts ever did.
>>
>>47692380
No thats how I've always applied it since 7e was published. This faq just confirms I've been doing it right.
>>
File: spruecrons.jpg (95 KB, 640x460) Image search: [Google]
spruecrons.jpg
95 KB, 640x460
>>47692385
Boxs a shit. Sprues 4 life!
>>
>>47692285
Enginseer's a bit iffy with that amount of armour. Priest and Commissar aren't an awful choice for the conscripts but it's like polishing a turd, in all honesty.Also the Basilisk is currently pretty awful rules wise, I love the model but it's not worth the points.
>>
>>47691809
My local area have straight up disallowed glued tight drop pod doors for years now.

It is called modelling for advantage, and it makes you a gigantic faggot if you do it. If it was "an honest mistake" anybody can fix that shit with a proper knife in 5 minutes, and I'll even rent you the knife, or hell. i'll do it for you if you are just bad at it. If you still refuse, I will probably forget the ban and tell you to piss off, because you'll likely come up with more bullshit during the game.
>>
>>47692394
but you applied the 7th edition ruling to a 6th edition codex, which required an active interpretation on your part.
>>
>>47692410
so whats the problem with just leaving the model as is and agreeing that it doesn't block LOS? Why do you have to interpret every ruling so god damn literally?

If the rulebook said "go jump in a lake" would you do it?
>>
File: Grey Hunters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grey Hunters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Is this ok vs Grey Knights? Flyer is in there to give air superiority.
>>
I mean, honestly, I would hate to have 40k players wind up in the judiciary, they would be absolutely paralyzed by all the legal paradoxes present in our legal system.
>>
>>47692411
no. the only thing i referenced was the 7e rulebook. the list in the 7e rulebook includes flamer weapons from 6e codexs like the pyrovores flamespurt or the necrons heatray.
>>
>>47692453
>7 page
nigga, i aint reading all that

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics#Looking_for_advice
>>
>>47692356
I mean i'm not gonna use the missile launcher for obvious reasons, but is the Multimelta favourable to the Plasma? And should i just run Multi-Plas instead of considering the bolter? Are bolters usefull against heavier lads?
>>
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1953.0
Want to roll up a tech priest anyone?
>>
>>47692410
>My local area have straight up disallowed glued tight drop pod doors for years now
kinda a dickmove. what about people drop pods that don't have openable doors? have you just banned the old FW ones that just have a solid core?
>>
>>47692432
The rulebook won't tell you to go jump in a lake. This isn't AOS for crying out loud.
>>
File: Grey2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grey2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47692453
>>47692467

OK.
>>
>>47692402
That overlord has the wierdest boner.
>>
>>47692461
All of which are included in the index and not the rule description. Which you referred to in order to render a judgement. Which is an infernal. Which implies you made interpretation of the authors intention.

Thus RAI
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 500x333
>>47692493
Meet Cl'ark.
>>
>>47692453
you have to click all the radio buttons to left when you copy your list. Change the output to minimal and get rid of the inline display.
>>
>>47692510
lol, fukken saved
>>
File: RAI.jpg (51 KB, 750x421) Image search: [Google]
RAI.jpg
51 KB, 750x421
>>47692504
Stole this from a filename thread.
>>
File: This thread.png (565 KB, 755x680) Image search: [Google]
This thread.png
565 KB, 755x680
>>47692510
He probably gets a tonne of sand in there. That shit's not good, even for space tomb kings
>>
>>47692492
Still too much information. You don't need to list all the default gear, people who are giving you advice probably already know the default gear. Read the link that the other guy posted.

And you probably want some fusion or other AP2 weapons in there. Grey Knights are almost guaranteed to have some terminators and you could even be facing down an all terminator army, which your plasma rifles will do exactly squat against.
>>
>>47692504
no its in the weapons rules section.
it's RAW, i read the rule and applied it as written.
trying too apply RAI is how some people thought the baleflamer was a flamer.
>>
>>47692528
You can't read RAW without hazarding a guess as to the RAI. If you had no idea what the rules meant or couldn't understand the authors intention you wouldn't be able to read the RAW
>>
>>47692549
Your only trying to lend an air of legitimacy to your argument by assuming that the most literal interpretation of the rules is correct. that doesn't make it RAW.
>>
>>47692526
I haven't posted that in ages. Want to see the Yellow Crons?
>>47692539
I'm sure he has a cleaning kit.
>>
>>47692087
Idk, I was always in the camp that RAI was no FNP for the Baleflamer because it's supernatural / magic daemonfire.

And thought that one of the RAW camps was you got a FNP because it's a BaleFLAMER.
>>
There's a simple solution.

No more TLoS.
>>
>>47692492
>>47692545
Ah actually I missed the bit where you said ion accelerator. It's probably alright then depending on his list.
>>
>>47692406
I guess I'll swap him, is the manticore better?
>>
>>47692581
exactly.

RAW isn't some magic buzzword you can throw around to give your argument validity.
>>
>>47692582
What IS TLoS anyways?
>>
>>47692582
But muh toe in cover!
>>
>>47692592
I've never personally used the Manticore, but I've heard it's mostly average. If you haven't got the models yet and you're -really- looking to win, more Wyverns aren't always bad but I'm not sure if you're using formations or just unbound since you've already got 3+ Heavy Support.
>>
>>47692582
No, the most simple solution is to stop assuming the most literal interpretation of the rules is correct.
>>
>>47692608
>>47692612
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/08/editorial-how-true-line-of-sight-is-killing-our-games.html

>>47692635
That doesn't help anything when GW clarifies the situation by making it even more retarded.
>>
TLOS would be more tolerable if the most common terrain (that I see anyway, both on tables and online photos) wasn't full of holes.
>>
>>47692638
>BoLS
eww, no thanks, i dont like click bait
>>
>>47692638
They are making their rulings with certain assumptions already in mind. For instance, that you won't ask a loaded question with predetermined interpretation of the answer based on false assumptions.
>>
>>47692592
Bro, if you take a Manticore, look up the Emperor's Wrath Artillery Platoon, all you would need is a Company Command and a Chimera, then some boxes for twin-linked dickery. The Manticore goes from average to very good in that formation, as does the Basilisk.
>>
>>47692574
but that's what RAW is, the most literal interpretation.

that sure isn't always correct which is where RAI can be different too RAW.
>>
>>47692697
If somebody says they don't think you should go to prison for performing abortions, you don't immediately jump to "This guy says abortions are the best thing ever!"
>>
>>47692720
they are though
>>
>>47692697
Please explain how the retarded drop pod ruling was caused by loaded questions, and not TLoS being shit.
>>
>>47692671
hills and intact buildings are just as common and theyre pretty solid.
>>
>>47692717
But if the most literal interpretation isn't always correct then you shouldn't always assume that it is.

If RAW is sometimes wrong then you shouldn't assume that you should always use RAW.
>>
Are there really that many arguments to be had about LoS? People must be really playing to win instead of fun if that's a super common thing, never had a major argument over it at all.
>>
>>47692746
TLoS isn't shit just because it causes arguments, it's shit for a great many reasons.
>>
>>47692734
I don't have the FAQ on hand, but it didn't mention anything about Drop pods being able to be glued shut or having them block line of sight or being able to deploy from the ramps instead of the base of the model.

All it said was something akin to "Use the model as reference" or "Refer to the LOS rules" or "the ramps are part of the model"
>>
>>47692432
If you do that, no one would have a problem with it. Then you have already proven you aren't a faggot, assuming you didn't spend 5 minutes arguing against it.

I would still be happy to help fixing it. I work with similar shit, so cutting them open while keeping the cut clean, is piss easy regardless of how you manaed to seal it tight - it is still just plastic.

>>47692483
They are fielding the model as-is. Like we don't throw a bitch fit because someone dares fielding a Stormsurge against a Knight, we wont make an issue out of people fielding a model like it was, straight from GW/FW.

Seriously though, knock off the obvious strawman. There are a ton of reasonable solutions, but if you show up an DEMAND to use a drop pod YOU decided to model for advantage on, then you have already lost any chance of getting a game.

And god help you if you keep it hidden until we are already playing. Thankfully the local rule is "it doesn't block LoS at all" or "if you insist that it does block LoS, then no models can disembark from it." based purely on the usual (and retarded) arguements "But it clearly does block line of sight!". Nicely observed Watson, you'll also note that the models clearly ave no way to disembark now.

Don't pull bullshit on others and then expect them to take it without retaliation.
>>
>>47692759
There is nothing wrong with TLOS assuming you aren't abusing it. (Like trying to claim that a pintle gun doesn't have LOS to a model adjacent to a vehicle or something)
>>
>>47692737
always using raw is the base assumption in a game because you can't actually know RAI and RAW is easily defined.
You can make an interpretation of it that can be widely agreed upon. but outside things like FAQs we can't really know RAI so its a little more subjective.
>>
has anyone ever done a 40k harlem shake video?
>>
>>47692790
but my whole point is that at turnaments you don't have the option of choosing who you play against. Thats why people need to use common sense when they make a ruling and GW employees have to stop insisting upon this RAW crap
>>
>>47692356
>>47692473
Did a Black Templar player break you guys' heart or why am i never getting replies here
>>
>>47692807
Why would they, that shit died a week after it was started last year.
>>
File: 2004-03-18-057_molecule.gif (51 KB, 576x256) Image search: [Google]
2004-03-18-057_molecule.gif
51 KB, 576x256
>>47692612
I'll take muh toe in cover over the "I see one toe of your squad through seven pieces of terrain" bullshit.

The arguments for line of sight were still around in third and fourth, but they were a shitload less common.
>>
>>47692590

It's a mixture of Grey Knights, Ultramarines, and perhaps one unit of Imperial Guard. He have Centurions, Dreadknight, Paladins, and the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines.
>>
>>47692807
has anyone told you to kill yourself in the last hour?
>>
>>47692746
No, we complain because it ruins our fun and immersion in the game, not our chance to win.

And most importantly, the faggots who does this ruins it even harder.
>>
>>47692792
the assumption is that you take the rules literally, not "as literally as possible". RAW might as well be synonymous with RAI, but the way people use it colloquially is "as literally as possible", which is not only wrong, its frankly asinine.
>>
>>47692838
Just the nose?
>>
>>47692863
For example, if I get to take up to twenty thousand sons, does that mean I get to twenty models or twenty thousand?
>>
>>47692815
No, but then you have the option of calling a TO and making a scene until the faggot clearly trying to cheat is either reprimanded/kicked or he just decides he doesn't want to be the center of a fuckton of negative attention.

Did this once on an unrelated topic, and the guy refused to break, and the TO apparently lacked a fucking spine, but when EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLAYER chimed in, he finally left the tournament.
>>
>>47692900
It would either be 20 Thousand suns or 20000 of your own children, as we can see you are intentionally being a faggot we can rule out the latter option
>>
>>47692838
kek
>>
To reiterate, RAW is just a bullshit argument, it doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>47692924
By definition, everyone is trying to interpret RAW. Nobody is trying to make up their own rules or say that the rules do not apply to them.
>>
File: 2004-04-08-063_heraldry.gif (45 KB, 576x256) Image search: [Google]
2004-04-08-063_heraldry.gif
45 KB, 576x256
>>47692870
You know how you'll see mentions of tank crew, banners and other decorative shit not counting as part of the model (for the purposes of shooting or being shot at) in the core book?

That didn't used to be in the core book. It caused a lot of stupid arguments.
>>
>>47692946
I assumed that in the 41st Millenium banners were indestructible. Isn't there a SM relic that was a standard from the Unification Wars, and the Smurfs have one that is made out of space fibers that repairs itself?
>>
>>47692829
So to answer your question, I wouldn't take the plasma cannon generally. My personal preference will always be Missile Launcher followed by Lascannon for Heavy Weapons as those provide hard anti-armor.

Bolters are a fairly reliable weapon against most infantry as they wound most things on a 4+ or better and in sufficient numbers can deal serious damage to anything that doesn't have a gimmicky save.

Hope this helps.
>>
File: 1449286086902.jpg (105 KB, 500x657) Image search: [Google]
1449286086902.jpg
105 KB, 500x657
>>47692969
not sure but i wish they counted as power mauls or something, i have them modeled on my daemons but hardly use them
>>
File: 1465050430585.gif (489 KB, 550x600) Image search: [Google]
1465050430585.gif
489 KB, 550x600
Eliminating TLoS:

Terrain becomes more significant, making you invisible Instead of giving you a save you probably already have or exceed.

You can position units strategically, instead of autisming hidey holes.

Forests and area terrain becomes meaningful, whereas currently only buildings and ruins really are.

If you really want the ability to shoot through windows, you can houserule a unit within 1" of a window can opt to use it and be able to target/be targeted, and not break anything. Whereas the opposite, to houserule away TLoS piecemeal, would break everything.

Tanks (vehicles in general) become sturdier, because they can hide completely. Currently, their size makes hiding harder.

Fast movements become stronger because they can move more strategically, and assaulting becomes easier because you can avoid getting shot to shit from across the board.

Battling for positions, sight lanes, and target priority adds a layer of strategy.

My group has already houseruled away TLoS, and so can yours.
>>
>>47692994
I remember a Smurf doing that to a DEldar.
>>
>>47692577
Yes we do senpai
>>
File: 1459831191513.jpg (515 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459831191513.jpg
515 KB, 1000x1200
>>47693020
i don't have that image on hand but have this image of a guardsman casually getting tossed aside
>>
>>47693066
Why are Eldar such dicks
>>
File: image.jpg (205 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205 KB, 480x640
>>47693037
Look like a Lego, and do nothing of value this edition.
>>47693066
I remember seeing a DP do that to a guardsman as a Repentia charged it.
>>
>>47692969
Right, but people would try and land battle cannons or whatever non-indirect ordinance they had on hand on your squads because they could see sgt. fuckstick's banner over a hill or ruin, because technically speaking only forests (in third edition) and "area terrain" (in fourth edition) blocked line of sight through them completely.

It was completely ridiculous, but wasn't officially dealt with until fifth edition. Likely because TLoS would have made those retarded arguments even more prevalent.
>>
>>47692969

>Indestructible.

Why not use them as shield then?
>>
>>47693117
To show you're someone important?
>>
File: 1459828991635.jpg (269 KB, 1024x1463) Image search: [Google]
1459828991635.jpg
269 KB, 1024x1463
>>47693089
to be fair it's just a guardsman and they get hurt rather easily when the universe is filled with monsters
>>
File: 1421970020415.jpg (145 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1421970020415.jpg
145 KB, 640x480
>>47693109
Necron music edition.
>>47693111
It still sounds silly.
>>
File: 1432303753151.jpg (102 KB, 1024x1463) Image search: [Google]
1432303753151.jpg
102 KB, 1024x1463
Here's that picture I mentioned.
>>
Do markerlights increase BS during snapshots?

watching a battlerep right now and a unit of kroot are hitting a flyer on 2s thanks to 4 markerlights on it, wondered if thats legit or not
>>
>>47693223
Yes.
>>
>>47693223
Yep.
Markerlights specifically state that they work on Snapshots.

Because Tau.
>>
I actually like the older DP style.
>>
>>47693223

100% legit to use them on Snapeshots. The only situation in which Markerlights don't work is when there's BS modifier (like all shots are done at BS1 vs Culexus Assassin).
>>
>>47693158
It was extremely silly.

I don't know why it took them so long to retard-proof the rules.
>>
Does anyone have that green text story about some Traitor Space Marine stuck with some Commander that smelled like shit, I think they were gurgle worshipers.

Forgot to save it but my friends looking to start a Nurgle Csm force as his first army and I thought he would get a kick out of it.
>>
>>47693263
GW can only make logical decisions every full moon, but for fifteen minutes only. But most of those minutes are consumed in a self hating disgust, reeling from the stupidity they have committed. When they only have a few minutes left for their moment of lucidity they try to think of something to atone for it. This is very rare however.
>>
I want Matt Ward back.

His codexes were too strong and his fluff was questionable, but his rules were fluffy, internally balanced, and most importantly, fun.

A Matt Ward Orkdex could fix everything wrong with the army.
>>
File: The Plagued Marine.png (357 KB, 896x4008) Image search: [Google]
The Plagued Marine.png
357 KB, 896x4008
>>47693324
>Does anyone have that green text story about some Traitor Space Marine stuck with some Commander that smelled like shit, I think they were gurgle worshipers.
'ere you go.
>>
>>47693332
I was recently playing my first 3000 point game and an older guy said he had some model that almost filled those points by itself and asked if I wanted to try a battle against it. Would that be the model?

Never really looked into forgeworld things but have been considering a Knight.
>>
>>47693359
Thank you, I fine this one hilarious.
>>
>>47693332
I hate the designs of Imperium super heavy walkers and titans so much.

>>47693366
Warlord Titans are 2750 or somesuch.
>>
>>47693366
>3k points
can't be anything other than a warlord can it ?
>>
So do Drop Pod doors have to open now? I mean since the doors are part of the model and you can longer jut put models on them, when you deepstrike, if you open the doors and they happen to be over an enemy model, what happens? I would think its a mishap (inertial guidance happens), but do those doors have to be opened, can a player just keep them closed or do doors have to be opened? And does this mean that when you place the droppod initially, you have to make sure it fits with it's doors open?
>>
Without TLoS, how do you handle cover saves? Maybe there's good answers, I'm just asking.

Half a tank is behind a building, the other half is exposed. Does it get a cover save, or none, or can you not target it? What if the exposed half contains the entirety of the facing you're targeting?

You and an enemy unit are both in the same area terrain (forest, etc). What then?

Is cover by model, or by unit? Can excess wounds hit models not in LoS?

Area terrain (forests) block LoS, yes? I move a model into the terrain, is it visible now? And other units are visible to it? Can excess wounds spill onto his unit, who are behind the forest? Can his unit shoot at things only he can see?
>>
>>47693469
FAQ states it's per model.
Does the Pod doors open? If so those petals better be at least 1" away from other models.
>>
File: Pick your death.png (1 MB, 1184x821) Image search: [Google]
Pick your death.png
1 MB, 1184x821
>>47693366
Looking at the Reaver it is 1475 points, and a Warlord is 2750 points.
>>47693386
You're welcome.
>>47693387
>I hate the designs of Imperium super heavy walkers and titans so much.
Why?
>>
>>47693469
>So do Drop Pod doors have to open now?

No.

>when you deepstrike, if you open the doors and they happen to be over an enemy model, what happens? I would think its a mishap (inertial guidance happens),

Correct.

>but do those doors have to be opened, can a player just keep them closed or do doors have to be opened? And does this mean that when you place the droppod initially, you have to make sure it fits with it's doors open?

This part we have no official answer to. Can you open and close doors at will, granting your unit LoS and then blocking it for the enemy? We don't know.
>>
File: DSCF3912.jpg (691 KB, 711x1099) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3912.jpg
691 KB, 711x1099
>>47692510
Meet Straponius
>>
File: Godzilla Kek.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla Kek.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>47693519
Oh my.
>>
>>47693496
>Why

They're all top-heavy, their guns are mounted in a stupid way, they have these gangly pipe-bits forming major structural connections.

They just don't work for me at all, unlike the Imperium's other vehicles and walkers. Except flyers. I hate every flyer model in the game so far.
>>
>>47693482
I see you're new to 40k. Maybe read up on some older editions before asking dumb questions.
>>
>>47693387
>>47693403
>>47693496

Jesus Christ this things huge!
I bet it costs as much as a first car.

May be fun to try a game against. like a raid boss almost
>>
File: Titan sizes.jpg (418 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
Titan sizes.jpg
418 KB, 1632x1224
>>47693549
Now why do you hate every flyer?
>>47693565
Here you go.
>>
File: 14412513.jpg (24 KB, 492x362) Image search: [Google]
14412513.jpg
24 KB, 492x362
>>47693610
>>
File: Imperial_Imperator_Titan.jpg (121 KB, 417x629) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Imperator_Titan.jpg
121 KB, 417x629
>>47693629
Here's the Imperator Titan. Not really sure how it stacks up compared to the other three models, but as the largest titan it should be bigger. Should be. FW probably won't make an Imperator model and I think said they weren't.
>>
Don't know if anyone saw this on Facebook:

>Whoops, we got one wrong there.
>For the last question on this page, the answer should be 'No'.

>Please refrain from cutting all the arms off your Apothecaries, they need them for their nartheciums.

>Q: Is it possible for an Apothecary to carry items from the Special Weapons and/or Melee Weapons lists (e.g. by a Veteran purchasing upgrades, and being subsequently upgraded to an Apothecary)?
>A: No.
>>
>>47693684
>HUEG CATHEDRAL ON SHOULDERS
>HUEG GUNS
>HUEG FEET
>itty bitty hips
>>
>>47693610
And even that's slightly misleading, as contemptors are bigger than regular dreads.
>>
File: image.png (236 KB, 1136x1582) Image search: [Google]
image.png
236 KB, 1136x1582
>>47693709
Hips don't lie, Anon.
>>47693728
The rocket racks add to the height.
>>
>>47693610
Wait, Imperial Knights are bigger than reavers?
>>
>>47693489
Can't they choose not to open some so they don't? Drop Podders do that to me all the time. Drop super close and just left two doors facing my units close then pile out right in front of them.
>>
>>47693801
Imperators are bigger than Reavers. Knights are the smallest class of Imperial Superheavy Walker.
>>
>>47693801
The FW one's that stand up straighter are I think but the regular GW knights come a bit under I believe
>>
>>47693801
No. Despite how big newer Knights have become they won't reach Reaver size.
>>
>>47693822
Whoops I was thinking of the warhound not the reaver.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 160x160
>>47693704
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
File: dorito body.gif (1 MB, 160x245) Image search: [Google]
dorito body.gif
1 MB, 160x245
>>47693709
It's a very manly physique
>>
File: Thunderbolt00.png (1 MB, 1023x534) Image search: [Google]
Thunderbolt00.png
1 MB, 1023x534
>>47693549
>I hate every flyer model
>hating the thunderbolt
>hating the marauder
fighting words, man
>>
>>47693872
Buff men don't have hands and feet the same size as their shoulders.

>>47693876
There's a few FW flyers that are alright.
>>
File: putty.jpg (36 KB, 400x369) Image search: [Google]
putty.jpg
36 KB, 400x369
>>47692510
>>
Might as well pass this along, I guess.
>I bumped into a mate
>who had a chap with him
>who knew people at GW
So that's a friend of a friend of a friend.
>>
>>47693943
This must have been before C'lark got the Gauss Flayer strap-on.
>>
File: Imperial_Navy_Lightning.jpg (20 KB, 650x521) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Navy_Lightning.jpg
20 KB, 650x521
>>47693926
It's a shame they replaced this beauty with the Voss garbage.
>>
File: Proof.png (726 KB, 1260x902) Image search: [Google]
Proof.png
726 KB, 1260x902
>>47693869
You could have also checked their Facebook page that I was claiming as a source, but you know, whatever.
>>
>>47693946
So if this is true, Magnus is going to invade Fenris AGAIN, and he's inevitably going to be beaten AGAIN. Because the only people allowed to beat Space Marines in the fluff these days are the Tau.

Biggest jobber in 40k confirmed?
>>
>>47693988
>Magnus invades Fenris
>Russ returns in the nick of wolftime
>breaks Magnus' back again and deports him to the Eye
>>
>>47693946
appropriate filename

Natfka rumors truly are super legitimate. Now we get to see if the broken clock can give us the right time.
>>
>>47694043
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AT THE FENRISDOOOOOME
>>
Rate my faction pitch:

>basic infantry can merge into bigger, stronger units
>those can split back into smaller units at will
>number of wounds is preserved either way

Example:
A squad of nine merge, and are removed from the table. A tank with MC stats replaces them.

Six merge, and a MC replaces them.

Three merge, and they become a slightly bigger infantry. You can do this with an entire squad, turning 9x1 into 3x3.

Once they split, they get however many wounds they had left as models. Their units would have high points costs, because you need 2x the models.

They'd also have vehicles and different varieties of units with their own merges and shit. They'd be focused on alpha strikes, growing weaker in various ways on the second turn / second round of combat / however else.
>>
>>47693984
That is very disappointing. I was excited about being able to have an Apothecary that wasn't a pushover in combat.
>>
>>47694069
Hrud?
>>
>>47694069
>Buying several thousand points of models to play a 1500-point pickup game

For what purpose?
>>
>>47694067
>At the Emperor's Palace, the Custodians prepare to perform the rite of the Emperor's Tarot
>They draw the Holy Card, and hands shaking, turn it over
>A moment passes, then the Custodes look at each other in confusion
>"What does it mean, 'Are you ready'?"
>>
File: Changeling_5th_ed.jpg (88 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
Changeling_5th_ed.jpg
88 KB, 873x627
>>47694043
too simple

>magnus despite himself actually manages to slaughter most of the wolves
>leman russ gets smacked down
>just as magnus is about to strike the final blow he slips on a banana peel and impales himself on a stole- liberated wolf nemesis force weapon
>it just so happened to be used by a lowly serf
>the serf helps up leman russ
>winks at the viewer and condescendingly tells leman russ maybe next time
>>
>>47694101
It's the same basic premise as units than can spawn a Demon Prince.

Except that it can go back to being the original unit at will.
>>
>>47694069
Seems like it could work, assuming you made it fairly sensible how things fused. I think you'd also be better having smaller squads fusing into smaller MCs, rather than massive blobs into massive ones. Maybe make 3 levels instead, so you can have a basic squad of like 3 fuse into a dread, and then 3 dreads fuse into something knight-sized

It'd be hard to balance though.
>>
>>47694137
throw in a chase between magnus and russ with benny hill music and i'm sold.
>>
>>47694137
No. My idea was better.

Don't respond to my posts.
>>
>>47693984
Oh hey, Games Workshop refused to address Smashfucker Prime using Cataphractii Armour on a Bike. I'm going to go ahead and accept this as permission to keep doing it.
>>
>>47694159
>units than can spawn a Demon Prince

what kinda of 40k have you been playing anon?
>>
>>47694137
The clinks of GK hardons tapping power armour will echo through the galaxy as Dante himself teleports behind Magnus and scoffs, "nothing personal kid" as he suplexes him into the warp rift Dante entered through.
>>
>>47693240
Oh the horror. Tau ignore a core rule! No othr army does this!

Oh wait, Marines does, and I don't even have the patience to list HALF of the rules they just ignore.

Because muhreen.
>>
>>47694217
Bikes can't be taken by models in Terminator Armour. Going to have to say that'd apply to Cataphractii TERMINATOR Armour too.

Seriously anon, are you trying to be an idiot?
>>
>>47694282
Faced a Ravenwing player for the first time last week. He tried to justify the strike forces ability to turbo boost turn one to get a consequence free Jink was fluffy even when every single thing on his field had scout.
>>
>>47694216
>Don't respond to my posts.
>>
>>47692946
Don't know how everyone else is having this cause kerfuffles, but I've never had issues with folk shooting at my models' banners, wings, and other decor.

The rare times it happens, I tell my opponent that rule, and then ask if they can see any other part of that model (including any part of the model that would be behind the decor in question) to which i receive a "no, you're right" afterwards.

Can you guys tell some horror stories on how this rule could possibly cause confusion? It's completely logical.
>>
>>47694220
The one where you roll double sixes as CSM.
>>
>>47694137
Just for fucking shit up and non-expected consequences would be cool if Ahriman appeared too
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.