[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If all of your salt is justified, can you still be too salty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: salt mine.jpg (358 KB, 1247x820) Image search: [Google]
salt mine.jpg
358 KB, 1247x820
If all of your salt is justified, can you still be too salty for the table?

>someone uses "RAI", not RAW, as justification to hit you with their fireball
>save-or-sucks that leave me playing on my phone for half an hour because I missed two rounds of combat
>Players use a free rez to justify killing you out of combat but complain about it occuring in combat because MUH ACTION ECONOMY
>Having a free rez rule
>>
>>47691230
Have you tried not playing 3.5/Pathfinder?
>>
>>47691252
I actually enjoy 5e as a system, I just hate being in a group where I've become a rule's lawyer because if I don't rule's lawyer just exactly what enemies can actually do, I'll get killed or become irrelevant

>banshee wail kills us rather than dropping us to 0
>mage gets a free hide action after casting invisibility, without even rolling hide
>no, my allies in fact do not have the same abilities I built my character around (devil sight)
>>
>>47691230

>playing on your phone at the table

u a shit

>having a player out of the game for hours

ur dm a shit too
>>
>>47693049
What else is he supposed to do, sit enraptured listening to the other PCs spend 20 minutes each what spell they'll cast or what enemy they'll try and hit?
>>
>>47691252
>implying this can't happen in any other game
Every played Shadowrun? Fantasycraft? GURPS? Any game ever? No? Then shut the fuck up.
>>
>>47693049
>2 rounds of combat taking half a hour

Well, you're right about the GM being shit, that's for sure. Even by 3.5 standards thats pretty retarded.
>>
>>47693269
I have actually, and I can say with full confidence that 3.5 (and by extension Pathfinder) are some of the absolute worst systems on the modern market.

Good luck getting that through the thick overly-invested skulls of 3.5 fanboys without them getting super butthurt and defensive, as in in Exhibit A here.
>>
>>47693285
Yep. 7 player party, half of them newbs. Its been getting better, but some of these people are as useless as I am even when theyre taking turns freely
>>
>>47693428
>7 players

JFC, if a game has more than 5 players, thats usually a red flag for me to run. Ideally 3 or 4 should be what you're aiming for to keep a nice fluid game where everyone matters to the plot and gameplay progresses quickly enough to keep everyone engaged.
>>
>>47693428
>7 people
How many of those are girlfriends? No wonder your rounds take so fucking long.
>>
>>47691230

Why are players casting at you? Either...

A) this never happened
B) we're only getting one side of the story
C) your game is retarded and you should leave
>>
>>47693616
Just one

>>47693770
I was in darkness, so he couldnt see me, [he could raw] and places the fireball on all enemies and me and did 75% of my health in turn one, the enemy then downed me before I could attack. A familiar got me up so i could get one attack in [advantage with plus 2 for 2d6+14] missed, and then the wizard killed it with a second fireball.

Why use two level 3s? Because he had rope trick plus leomunds tiny hut and immediately took a 9 hour nap
>>
>>47693311
>guy who can't stop bitching about a 16 year old game
>The people who like that game are the butthurt ones!

Man, you need to just get off the internet already.
>>
>>47693973
>Starts argument
>Gets ass kicked in argument
>Says the other person needs to leave.

OK kid.
>>
>>47693049
>>47693222
Last session two of our group of four PCs died in short succession (different combat scenarios, but within an hour of each other). We were already neck-deep in plot shenanigans, and revival was impossible.

Host fished out a laptop and GM handed his to the other guy (after closing plot notes), and they started making new characters with cool backstories. An hour or so later we came to a nice calm point, one character got subtly introduced to the remaining two PCs, and joined the 'party'.

A while later the session ended and the other guy was shoehorned in in the epilogue.

What I'm saying is that, if you're dead, you should focus on being alive again. Unless being revived is an imminent possibility, there's no need to sit there moping about how you're not doing anything.

Also, >>47693285. What I'd do is impose a time limit. 30 seconds per turn: I start a timer when we finish rolling for the previous turn. You describe what you do within that time, and are only allowed to extend it if you're asking for narration so a plan can work. Then we roll, and move on. Also tell them to prepare their actions in advance.
>>
>>47694037
Charmed isnt dead dumbass
>>
>>47694077
Where does it mention that OP was charmed?

If you allow a PC to be out of the game for more than half an hour in general, you're a bad GM.
>>
>>47694109
Eh, depends on the decisions made by the player and the luck they're having. If they consistently roll below 5s on everything, the fiat is going to be too obvious.
>>
>>47694109
>save or sucks
Its either charmed or paralyzed, neither of which are dead. OP didnt say save or die.
>>
>>47694138
At that point, then, you either divert the enemy's attention away from that player, or just flat-out say 'look, I get that this isn't fun for you; have a +20 bonus' or something. I know my group, at least, would definitely prefer 'unfair' bonuses for the sake of inclusion than having their friend just sit on the sidelines bored.

It's not like you have to do it all the time, only when not doing so causes the player to actually find reasons to be doing something else.

>>47694239
He also mentioned resurrecting. You don't resurrect from paralysis or charms.
>>
>>47694264
He mentioned resurrecting in a different context though, as being killed out of combat by other players; I presume for fun.
>>
>>47694264
Resurrection was mentioned in the context of dying out of combat, ie not a sos leaving me with nothing but my dick in my hands.

That was a save or die to give us a "free" full rest
>>
File: IMG_4270.jpg (96 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4270.jpg
96 KB, 720x960
>>47694365
>>47694369
Ah, then I slightly misread. Thanks for that.
>>
>>47691230
>Might as well be talking about a videogame
>Obviously plays pf/3.5
>On the phone during sessions.

Better question is why you don't play an actual role-playing game, some random boardgame like talisman or arcadia quest or shoot yourself in the mouth?
>>
>>47693999
>this level of delusional butthurt

Keep it going. Only needs a little more to convince everyone that all the 3.5 hate comes from the worst kind of people.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.