[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some ways you can fit super powers into a fantasy setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 480x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 480x515
What are some ways you can fit super powers into a fantasy setting?
>>
>>47685241
Magic is superpowers, you silly goose.
>>
by calling them magic
>>
you just change the origin stories

instead of "from another planet" or "bitten by radioactive animal" you have "son of zeus" or "magic"
>>
Any way you like? The question is so broad it's hard to give any sort of meaningful answer.
>>
What are some ways you can fit exotic beings into a fantasy setting?
>>
>>47685300
"came from the stars" instead of "came from outer space"
>>
>>47685241
demigods.
>>
>>47685278
You could keep the classic fell into a vat of toxic waste though, just that the toxic waste was likely alchemical waste products or something.
>>
I ran a low magic campaign where every PC took a level of sorcerer, but they only knew one random level 0-2 spell that they could cast at will but had to roll a d6 and wait that many rounds before they could cast it again.

I encouraged cheesing the hell out of their "power", and it was very X-Men feeling by the end of it. Was fun, made me want to try it again some day
>>
>>47685300
Lives here, it is a fantasy setting after all.
>>
>>47685241
By calling it magic ya dummy
>>
>>47685241
well in mine the gods give their paladins powers based on the god aspects.
the paladins of the goddess of passion loge for example got the ability to increase the force of a impact if they focused on the warrior loage aspect of their god while those that focused on the lover lovge aspect got the ability to vibrate anything, body parts, swords and the most powerful of them all could vibrate air to talk over long distances.
>>
>>47685241
>what are sorcerers?
>literally mutants
>>
Isn't this what Exalted technically is?
>>
>>47685328
the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents springs to mind
>>
>>47685241
I was thinking something along the lines of a world where various people have the ability to cast one and only one spell on will

That's basically powers
>>
>>47685241
the paladin gets super powers instead of smite
>>
Isn't any setting that's not based in reality a fantasy setting?
>>
>>47686063
Technically it would be, but for some strange reason at some point someone decided that "fantasy" refers to specific type of genre/setting that is vaguely Tolkien inspired. Needless to say that this doesn't work out at all and this is why people these days are throwing around terms like "speculative fiction" etc.
>>
>>47686063
Yes, which is weird since OP implies that every single super hero setting ever does not set enough of an example.
>>
>>47685241
Demigods. That' probably the most straight forward way, because legends of demigods contributed greatly to the superhero genre.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.