[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BattleTech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

New minis edition
Juliano looks cool

Old Thread: >>47651154

===================================
TtS: Promise Land
http://www.mediafire.com/download/58qc4n2owy2gsb7/E-CAT35SN206_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Promised_Land.pdf

First Succession War
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dp9iiecoaz4c29k/E-CAT35235_BattleTech+First+Succession+War.pdf

TtS: Brownsville
https://mega.nz/#!7xMngZBR!d0Ayoy_8rDrtsXZ7-M6wGPrmDq8O8F5_0d4G8dkLxzM
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
New Templar
>>
File: Executior-Gladiator.png (160 KB, 1397x1617) Image search: [Google]
Executior-Gladiator.png
160 KB, 1397x1617
Is the Gladiator-Executioner Omnimech seen all that often in Clan forces?

It came as a shock to me this thing even existed (didn't notice in detail till I read the Periphery Handbook) as the Dashi is what I'm used to seeing when it comes to Clan Assault Mechs.
>>
Centurion Omni looks better than I expected
>>
>>47682192

>Is the Gladiator-Executioner Omnimech seen all that often in Clan forces?

Only in the Bears where it's one of their favourites. Everyone else seems to have gone "Holy fuck, you gave it HOW MUCH side torso armour? Keep that shit away from me!"
>>
I'm still waiting for Piranha and IWM making a deal to make minis out of MWO mechs.
>>
>>47682371
Supposedly they'd need the rights to sell merch from Microsoft.
>>
>>47682392
I know but Microsoft is kinda a dick, they should let the MW brand go and let other companies do something with it. Man, just search, there are lots of people printing the minis by themselves (me included) what I would give for profesional cast plastic minis... Fucking pricks.
>>
>>47682431
As if that would happen, you'd have to make due with more crappy pewter.
>>
>>47682492
I know anon... Welp, at least I can print the mechs they release and get the ones they dont in IWM.
>>
>>47682112
>>47682126
>>47682197
Nice, any of the Gotterdammerung?
>>
>>47682676
i gotchu trothkin
>>
>>47683015
Hmmm, not sure I'm entirely sold, but I guess it's not thoroughly bad either. I need a Dark Age heavy for my Lyrans, and one of these would fit the bill.
>>
>>47682197
That does look better than expected. Bonus points for the sculptor making the fiddly shoulder bits separate so they can be easily left off.
>>
Has the Hound gotten a mini yet?
>>
Does Clan Sea Fox deal in the civilian market?
>>
>>47683293
>Has the Hound gotten a mini yet?
Making a mini that everyone wants, for the faction most-played in the game? I think you have IWM confused with someone else, anon.
>>
>>47683917
Almost certainly, though I dunno how much the warrior-merchants focus on it.
>>
Do the folders in the OP contain any good hexmap sets that could be used on Roll20?
>>
>>47682112
What in the world is that basing material?
>>
>at a game last weekend
>neckbeard player puts down an Incubus
>notice it has a brown and light purple paint scheme
>the word "Female" is painted on it in parenthesis
>tfw I got the reference
>>
>>47684670
Is there supposed t be a joke here beside the name and the parenthesis?
>>
>>47683917
How so? There's very little detail on civilian equipment, but there may be information on what you want to know. If you're expecting Clan security mechs, unlikely.

>>47682192
Does the Man O' War/ Gargoyle not exist either?
>>
>>47683941
Which faction are you talking about? >>47684078
No, but there is the Heavy Metal Maps, the only official program that works amazingly well. You can create maps and use the exists ones. The program also export maps as images
>>
File: 1456259108505.jpg (556 KB, 1152x1296) Image search: [Google]
1456259108505.jpg
556 KB, 1152x1296
>>47684670
I also get that reference.
>>
Aww yiss, the Juliano is out. Going to do up a lance of these babies so fast.
>>
>>47684735

>Does the Man O' War/ Gargoyle not exist either?

It's a pretty bad design especially compared to the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat which can copy all its configs with tonnage to spare so players tend not to use it.

Canonically it's very common, especially for the Invasion-era Wolves, where it's their second-most common 'Mech overall and behind only the Ice Ferret/Fenris.
>>
File: 1459471231860.jpg (33 KB, 282x268) Image search: [Google]
1459471231860.jpg
33 KB, 282x268
>>47684670
What's the reference?
>>
File: 1451286762149.png (151 KB, 716x2168) Image search: [Google]
1451286762149.png
151 KB, 716x2168
Post homebrew mechs/vees with fluff, everyone.

I'll get things started with a merc general 3050s clanbuster
>>
>>47686446

Could you at least post something different? I've seen this at least a dozen times in different threads.

Also, 20 million "merc general" design that magically gets produced at about as many sites as some classic Unseen heavies, and is the Taurians' first ever home-built assault, holy kek.
>>
>>47686523
>the Taurians' first ever home-built assault, holy kek.

Certainly you concede that the taurians deserve to get a dual-guass line of battle Mech to help them against the Davions, though, right?
>>
>>47686523
>Could you at least post something different? I've seen this at least a dozen times in different threads.
I've got like three mechs saved on my phone, and I just generally think that you should start these things with a image otherwise they get ignored more often
>magically gets produced at about as many sites as some classic Unseen heavies,
Specifically noted as being tiny manufacturers building one or two a year in their garage. I thought it made more sense for a merc general thing to be made by a couple of small companies rather than a refit shop magically turning out a ton
>Taurians' first ever home-built assault,
Dude what. None of the planets I mentioned are in the TC.
>>
File: Unfucked Bander II.png (61 KB, 872x1472) Image search: [Google]
Unfucked Bander II.png
61 KB, 872x1472
>>47686602

The FWL doesn't even have its own dual-Gauss assault. I'd rate fixing that a much higher priority.

>>47686446

Here, have one for half the price and almost all of the performance.
>>
File: 066.jpg (299 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
066.jpg
299 KB, 1600x1200
How do I go about getting the mwo sculpt of the atlas? Pic related. I'm about to start playing battle tech overy this guy.
>>
>>47686665
But the FWL is a meme faction. Just look at Muninn.
>>
>>47686643

>Dude what. None of the planets I mentioned are in the TC.

Electra winds up being theirs.
>>
>>47686675

Warhansa?
>>
>>47686665
The FWL is too busy finding new and more horrifying things to do with their Awesomes to develop a dual gauss mech.

Now, if you suggested a quad LGR mech, then I'm sure they'd be interested.
>>
>>47686665
>Here, have one for half the price and almost all of the performance
Without opening it, let me guess.
Is it an XL-to-endo swap?
It's a thing for pretty much every 3/5 XL assault, sure. I do them all the time.
Probably I just didn't think of it when I was putting this one together, it was a while ago
>>47686675
Warhansa
>>
>>47686690
Oh right, in the Dark Age, right? I will admit to being kind of a grog and not so much fond of the jihad/DA era. Hell, I'm not even sure if I'd READ any of the jihad/DA stuff back when I designed the thing. Besides, if it bothers you that much, it would be reasonable to assume that the factory there got exploded in the FCCW or jihad before the taurians could actually use it
>>
>>47686747
>>47686829

Is this something I can easily Google or is it like the China man for 40k?
>>
>>47686964
Here's the link straight-up
http://www.warhansa.com/
It's easy to find by Google, though
>>
I just started looking at the warhansa mechs, and the names they give them are fucking metal. I would totally pilot a Screaming Heretic into a valiant death in battle, presumably while tigers which are being ridden by naked women jump out of an explosion.
>>
>>47687129
>and the names they give them are fucking metal
I know, right?
I plan to steal them for custom mechs
>>
>>47686770
Horrible things?
Like what?
>>
>>47687174
Frankenstien Gun is a perfect descriptor for some sort of swayback hunchie with some ridiculous weapon load.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Just painted these taurian mechs tonight as practice before ordering some real mechs for a taurian company. How shit/10 are they, /tg/?
>>
>>47686160
Can someone explain?
>>
>>47687215
Bombast laser swayback?
>>
Just curious since I see all the other major factions usually represented in /btg/ but are there any Drac players here?
>>
>>47687230
Three blasers as the only weapons. Fluff it as someone with more large lasers than sense and a mostly intact hunchie.
>>
>>47687014

Thanks anons I appreciate it
>>
>>47687220

Taking into account or ignoring the fact that they're taurian?
>>
>>47687393
Paint job, not faction.
>>
Can anyone explain how to use megameklab to me? What am I supposed to be using to open the .jar file?
>>
>>47687276
I've got a company of the Dracs that I use as OPFOR. That count?
>>
>>47687429
Your Java Shell?
>>
>>47687433
No, I think (>>47687280)'s looking for Wrasslehog players and their Drac(ula) uniforms.
>>
>>47687220
If that's red and not pink, not bad/10.
Which unit is that for, anyways? I don't play taurians
>>
>>47687459
Brown base, with red and gold highlights, and a few gunmetal highlights as well.

And they're for the Taurian Guard.
>>
>>47687425

Right, but it's a taurian paintjob, so under normal circumstances I'd deduct a point for the waste of minis and paint.

The paintjob is pretty close to what I'd consider "tabletop standard". The colors are mostly flattened, and while it looks like a wash was applied to the tan basecoat, that basecoat then wasn't given a highlight AND is the only part of the paintjob with multiple layers. The gold and crimson both are extremely flat, and the silver is as well. Bright side is that your brush control looks pretty good.

So, with what you've got there, add the following:
>highlight on the crimson panels
>paint all the gold on a second time for better coverage
>Flesh wash on the gold panels at the panel lines (on the Quickdraw's legs, for example)
>highlight on the gold panels
>drybrush a lighter tan (or a reaper "polished bone") on the brown parts
>black wash on the silver
>very light silver or even a white highlight on the silver
>gloss varnish on the cockpit canopies
>put Elmer's Glue on the bases and dip them in sand. Then put clumps of either static grass or bulk flock on them.

Currently, 4.5/10. Again, "tabletop standard". Do the above, and you'd get to a 6.5-7/10 or so (you can't get above an 8/10 without doing stuff like blending panel by panel, and ain't nobody got time for that). I'll also say that some decals; a Taurian guard insignia and some numbers, would really help.
>>
>>47687433
Probably the closest thing here. What mechs you use?
>>
>>47687276
I used to a bit, but teddy C3 was my coordinator, so I've lost interest in recent years
>>
>>47687280
>blasers
No, I said bombasts
As in, the even more full retard laser.
>>
>>47687504
Thanks for the advice, anon. I was shooting for table playable, and I'm glad they are. I'll be getting some decals for the actual company at some later date.

Also the random Taurian hate in this thread always makes me laugh.
>>
>>47687642
>lso the random Taurian hate in this thread always makes me laugh.

No worries, glad to help anyone asking for painting advice.

I just hate Taurian fans. I almost certainly have nothing against you personally, but between the OF, the two Taurianfags in my IRL group who actually ARE racist cowboys who believe fully in black NWO helicopters (welcome to Colorado), and the fact that EVERY Taurian fan I've met in person at cons has either been the cowboy sterotype or a paranoid fuckstick, you're guilty by association. Sorry, anon.

Good luck with the painting, though. I'd be happy to share a table sometime with Mechs painted at that standard.
>>
>>47686665
>''''''''Free''''''''
>''''''''Worlds''''''''
>''''''''League''''''''
>>
>>47687706
I just like the Taurians because I like the periphery and they're the one relevant periphery power that doesn't do nothing but suck Capellan cock. I don't really mind the MoC but I dislike the Capellans and they're linked too closely for me to enjoy them. I do dislike telling anyone I'm a Taurian fan though, it's tough.

By the way, Colorado is pretty awesome. Where are you at? And do you guys have a good battletech scene?
>>
>>47687706
I'm guessing those guys are all TAURIANS ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION types? In my experience it's always the monofaction guys who are the dumb and crazy ones; I and all the other taurian fans I've ever met play at least two other factions on a regular basis (FedSuns and Lyrans, for me, plus mercs of course), so maybe that's what keeps us from going crazy.
Also, weirdly, I've never ran into a crazy taurian fan in real life. In my personal experience, all the crazy ones are clan players (and one guy who had to have been MadCap's canadian cousin). Never met one of those bitchy FedSuns players, even. Maybe it's a canadian thing, I dunno
>>
>>47684081
Probably acrylic medium with pumice or similar. It is sold in art supply stores in various textures/flakes/grits. Great stuff, way better than the traditional pva glue and sand.
>>
>>47682392
>>47682431

I's not MS. Pirannha claims that the designs are their IP and no one else's (despite that not being the way the contracts work) and zealously guard the images. (Except, you know, from all the folks making minis illegally.)

Mech rights are Topps (who licenses to IWM), so the whole thing is PGI (or between PGI and Topps).
>>
>>47688487

No, the final negotiations would have to be between Microsoft and Topps because PGI is liscencing from them.

But everyone along he way wants a slice of the action and there's no way for MS, PGI, CGL, and IWM to get enough of a cut so it's never gonna happen.
>>
>>47688599

Or Topps to get their cut, forgot that.
>>
>>47687534
What else? Grand Dragons, Dragons, Panthers, Jenners and Hamoto-Chi's.
>>
>>47687014
lol some of those names

That's cool though.
>>
Are RAC/5 rounds interchangeable with standard AC/5 rounds? I'm not talking about special munitions, just basic slugs
>>
>>47689301
Nope.
>>
File: DCMS truths.jpg (47 KB, 622x350) Image search: [Google]
DCMS truths.jpg
47 KB, 622x350
>>47687276
Konnichiwa. I've played Dracs ever since I started playing. Teddy K is A-OK.
>>
File: Dragon with an arm shot off.jpg (107 KB, 473x585) Image search: [Google]
Dragon with an arm shot off.jpg
107 KB, 473x585
>>47687276
>Just curious since I see all the other major factions usually represented in /btg/ but are there any Drac players here?
Another ForeverGM, play Dracs as OPFOR a lot.

>>47687534
>What mechs you use?
Not that guy, but currently a shitload of Panthers, spiced with assorted Heavies/Assaults and a few salvaged mediums. I've got a lance of fast Lights (Kabuto, Locust, Owens, and Spider) for scouting and screwing with people. There's a DMM detachment (mostly Stingers with a smattering of low-end FedSuns designs) I can use as backup/salvage, and a company of generic desert-camo Unseen units I occasionally pull out for other shit.

Commander is usually riding in a Grand Dragon, Orion, or Beemer, although I also have a No-Dachi and Black Hawk Ku in the parts box awaiting a reason to use them. Bodyguards (if necessary) get the Atlas or Quickdraw. I'll use Dragons where I'd normally deploy a Medium, add in something fast to get strung out and killed, and then season with Panthers and salvage based on the players' BV. Not the most creative thing out there, but it does the job.
By which I mean seriously damaging the PCs if they do things right, or wiping them out if they fuck up and get stupid.
>>
File: Dragon fighting in ice field.jpg (514 KB, 925x898) Image search: [Google]
Dragon fighting in ice field.jpg
514 KB, 925x898
>>47687276
Oh, and one of my buddies plays Dracs as his primary faction. He's an Azami player: got a full boxed set of 3e Unseen in Azami colors, plus a Longbow. In addition, he's got the Drac Alpha Strike pack in SoL colors (that one with the Panther, Dragon, QKD, and Guillotine), along with a few MWO 'Mechs and a good chunk of his 25th Anniversary box.
>>
>>47687276
I had a drac heavy company that I used in a campaign one time, and y'all just inspired me to dig it up and post it.
This company in particular was unusual, on account of it contained an almost-lance of mechs captured from mercenaries who ended up in the employ of pirates, and since it wasn't especially favored by central command, this company got em
Command Lance
>Emperor-6A (captured unit) 2/3
Commander of the unit, fanatical supporter of Teddy Kurita. Hates the clans to the death, but is surprisingly ambivalent about the FedCom
>Mauler 3/4
A strong christian from Bad News, married to his tech. Strong believer in the Second Star League; biggest regret of his life is missing operation Bull Dog
>Archer-4M (captured unit) 3/4
Also a supporter of Teddy Kurita, but at the same time a firm believer in samurai ideals. In his off time, an expert on katanas, owns a small collection, with examples dating as far back as the 20th century
>Warhammer-6K (modified) 4/5
The heir to a long-standing mech family, terrified of being dispossessed. Currently working up the courage to propose to one of the second lance mechwarriors
(His mech has been modified with 16 DHS, 2 ERPPCs, CASE and an extra 3.5 tons of armor)
>next two lances in next post
>>
>>47687276
>>47690401
>Line Lance
2X Grand Dragon 3/4
A pair of twins, brother and sister, known for their nigh-unnatural coordination in battle. The two are engaged in an incestuous relationship, which they believe they are keeping secret from the rest of the unit (they suspect, but choose not to investigate further)
>Wolverine-6K (slightly modified) 4/5
The only child of a pair of mechwarriors, she is a strong advocate for medium mechs, against DCMS tradition. She is interested in a mechwarrior from the first lance, and intends to propose to him soon
(Her mech has removed one SHS to upgrade the small laser to a medium and add CASE)
>Wolf Trap 3/4
A recent transfer to the unit, he is a survivor of the Clan Invasion. Although a drinking man off duty, he is still a solid pilot. He possesses an odd mix of disdain and respect for the clan way of life, and will readily offer confused explanations after a few drinks
Fire Lance
>Bandersnatch (captured unit) 4/4
Of half-Rasalhague ancestry, she is possessed of a continual desire to prove herself, mostly by strictly adhering to samurai combat rules (although not the rest of the ideal samurai lifestyle). Currently involved with her (female) tech. In her off time, she is a devoted mech geek and expert in twenty-fifth century battlemech design; she dreams of one day restoring and piloting a Mackie
>Daikyu 4/5
A new, brash mechwarrior who enlisted after the clan invasion, he is eager to kill clanners for the destruction wrought on his ancestral home world by the Smoke Jaguars. Outside of the cockpit, he is a surprisingly good cook, and regularly prepairs group meals for the whole unit
>Panther-10K2 4/5
Pushing 40, after an extended stint of garrison duty along the periphery border, he requested a transfer to a unit more likely to see major action. When not piloting his mech, he is a devoted Solaris VII fan, and in his younger days entertained occasional ambitions of fighting there hinself
>last pilot in next post
>>
>>47687276
>>47690401
>>47690551
>Panther-9R 4/5 (modified)
The daughter of a mechwarrior who died in the battle against Wolf's Dragoons, she loathes the dragoons, but it believes that the Combine should employ more mercenaries in general (just not clan ones). Her older brother pilots the main family mech, a captured Marauder II, and she longs to acquire a similar mech
(Her mech adds DHS and removes the SRM-4 and ammo for three MLs)
>>
>>47687846
it's not a funny enough joke to spam every thread m8
>>
File: Nightstar IIC.png (58 KB, 880x1424) Image search: [Google]
Nightstar IIC.png
58 KB, 880x1424
>>47691123

It wasn't even funny enough to be posted once.

Any way, have a Nightstar IIC.
>>
>>47687014
Is Warhansa reliable? Wouldn't mind a Mauler.
>>
>>47691323
They are. Unfortunately the russian post isn't.

Ordered a large set roughly a month ago on a monday, a day after placing my order warhansa contacts me and says they'll have it ready to ship in 3-4 days, send a confirmation and tracking number on Saturday.

Two days ago russian postal services apparently visited my house, according to their tracking program, but failed to contact or notify me, ring my doorbell so that my wife could have signed off the order, or anything of the sort. Only a "Unsuccessful delivery attempt" note on the tracking software, no answers from them yet.
>>
Why kind of SDS do the Clans use? Caspar drones or what?
>>
>>47691410
I see, you live in or around russia?

I've had similar issues with a local delivery service but it seems to have eased up after a lot of people complained and as long as I have a tracking number I can pick it up. Very tempting anyway.
>>
>>47688599
You would think, but no. PGI claims the rights to the images they designed. MS doesn't figure into it on that point.
>>
>>47691514

There's stuff in The Hunters about what the Jaguars have around Huntress. CASPAR-type DropShips about Overlord size, packed with nukes. Ground batteries as well.

They crop up in the Wars of Reaving SB as well.

This being said they are almost certain not to be used in normal Trials, only broken out in exceptional circumstances.
>>
>>47691516
I live in Finland. The postal service fuck-up could actually in all honesty be on the Finnish postal services behalf. They've become ridiculously inefficient since the corruption in the management ladder bloomed into full blown cancer.
>>
>>47691554
What about Strana Mechty's defenses?
>>
>>47691590

If Huntress has an all-aspects SDS you can bet your ass Strana Mechty will as well.

>>47691558

Honestly it's the same the world over AFAICT. Just about every service I know of has contractors doing the final delivery and a factor in what they get paid is how many deliveries they make/attempt to make per day. It's more profitable for them to drive to the address, idle for a few seconds to appease the GPS in case anyone checks, and say they tried to deliver but nobody was home.

If I didn't think any future packages would be mysteriously damaged or lost I'd put in an official complaint but it's just not worth the angst.
>>
>>47691410
I've had much better luck with my international orders from them.

Though Russia is absolutely not the only place to deal with postmen who can't be arsed to do their job properly, having encountered the exact same problem (managing to catch postmen in the process of doing it a couple of times too), and having seen it turn up in the news for problems like delivery guys just throwing boxes with TVs and the like over walls rather than wait for someone to receive delivery.
>>
>>47691558
>>47691673
>>47691717
I had a package get sent to the wrong continent once. Almost right next door to manufacturer and the fucking thing gets sent to south-east asia. WTF?

It showed up 6 months later, no worse for wear but by then I'd already received a replacement.
>>
>>47687221
Porn about a tsundere boy succubus getting reamed a lot and refusing to admit that he loves it.
>>
File: 1460741482042.jpg (207 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1460741482042.jpg
207 KB, 900x675
>>47691820
I saw the thread update with this post and thought I was in the wrong place for a moment.
>>
I might be the exception but does it ever bug anyone that mech formations at company/binary/trinary level or high tend to lack command elements?
>>
>>47691899
Since a mech company is pretty much on its own, you're looking at something closer to a squad than a real company. Especially since doctrine seems to have the company split off into 3 "fire teams" rather than acting as a unit. The fluff pieces about lights dropped into the wilderness of a world to do hardcore recon are the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>47691558
>>47691410
Just as I had posted, I decided to visit my local post office and inquire about the parcel with the Russian post tracking number.

Turns out they had received it on Tuesday, but had not yet bothered to send me an arrival notification. To my cellphone. Which I had expressly asked for.

So, gg finnish postal service, even the russian one is more professional and efficient.

I'll be taking pictures in the next hour.
>>
>>47687207
Well, the 10KM has two HPPCs and a snub, and the 11M has eight LPPCs and caps for half of them.

I meant horrifying as in "fuck, that's a lotta dakka", not horrifying as in bad.
>>
>>47691123
I'm thinking it's the same moron as the "Wolf cuck" spammer, trying anything he can to force a meme.

Of course, both of his attempts suck horribly, but that is the way of the meme spammer.
>>
>>47691899
COs don't necessarily have to be a separate element from the rest of the unit, they could simply be among the 12/15 or whatever.

But mainly, they just don't list out detailed force organizations like they used to, back when they did they usually had command elements listed.

As for higher levels of command, realistically that's where they really start to not be out and about much. And BT doesn't much acknowledge elements that don't typically show up in games, like all the support and supply elements that have to exist but are basically never mentioned. I'm sure there are some hardcore accountantechers that have everything documented down to the mail room guys and their truck (God Bless TRO VA), but TPTB probably figure that not all that many folks are going that far.
>>
>>47691899
Well, I'm one, and I still think fourteen 'Mechs would be a good company (three four-'Mech lances plus commander and his wingman), so the lances could get on with the fighting and CO could concentrate on commanding, plus the added benefit of having a small reserve to reinforce any lance as necessary.

Sticking to 12-'Mech companies, I tend to run my companies like this:

>1st lance - command
OC, bodyguard, 2IC (who actually "fights" the lance and leaves the boss to command), any specialist 'Mech (recce Locusts, TAG units, etc.)

2nd lance - general service
Lance cdr, three 'Mechs

3rd lance - general service
Most junior lance cdr, CSM to keep him on the ball, two other 'Mechs

I fluff a CQMS as being the boss of the echelon of Techs/Astechs and the poor bastards driving J-27s who accompany the company.

Four three-'Mech lances could also be doable: you could have one lance led by the OC, another by the 2IC, and manoeuvre by demi-company.

>>47693851
>all the support and supply elements that have to exist but are basically never mentioned

You know, I don't think I've ever seen an infantry battalion or regiment described as any other than the "bayonet strength" of combat platoons, which leads to the 300ish-strong battalions. (Though at least infantry has command elements at company level, unlike armoured units). Every bean cooker, lorry fitter, clerk and ammo humper simply exists in the background whilst the operators operate.
>>
>>47691899
Yes. It's something about the setting that's vexed me from day zero.

My preferred work around is to 'reinforce' the command lance by a mech or two on paper and then detach the command elements to float between units as required in practice on the field.

This way we can still have three lances worth of frontline combat strength and leave the CO to command AND claim it's still a three lance company.
>>
>>47691899

>does it ever bug anyone that mech formations at company/binary/trinary level or high tend to lack command elements?

Nope.

In the IS, 'Mechs have always been rarer than any other normal combat element save ASF. Limited amount to go around, so at best it's planned for in the structure and at worst it's something you suck up and get over.

For the Clans, commanders take a very hands-on role in their bids and are present at the coal face as a result.

Battalion is the lowest level at which I even bother with detached command elements and then it's just a lance, the command machine, a short-range bodyguard design, and a pair of ranged beatsticks. Regimental level gets that Lance, an LRM support lance, and a specialist lance of some kind like AA, artillery, or recon.

For the Clans regimental level is roughly analogous to Galaxy level in terms of command structure and most Clans already have a Binary/Trinary Keshik at that point any way.
>>
File: ganontennis.gif (705 KB, 245x351) Image search: [Google]
ganontennis.gif
705 KB, 245x351
One of these days I'm gonna stop being lazy and write up in-universe 'Mech reviews in the style of Regular Car Reviews.
>>
>>47697458
That reminds me of a project that I've been meaning to get around to: a mini-TRO, but the entries are styled like a catalog rather than a space jane's guide
>>
I'm adding an intro box of BT minis to my existing IS forces, but I'm a bit unsure about some assignments.
Where would you assign these designs?

Hunchback
>Lyrans or Dracs

Grasshopper
>Lyrans or Dracs

Cicada
>Lyrans, Dracs or FedSuns

Assassin
>Lyrans, Dracs or FedSuns
>>
>>47698330
drac
drac
drac under doubt
fedscum
>>
>>47698330

>Hunchback

Lyrans love their A/C-20s, Dracs hate mediums.

>Grasshopper

Dracs have a factory and build an Introtech variant.

>Cicada

FWL likes them and has a variant.

>Assassin

Nobody likes them much, stick it wherever.

>>47697399

Also at the company level the top officer is in charge of 11 other guys, 14 if Clan.

You don't need to bloat out a unit with unnecessary command elements with so few personnel regardless of how powerful their machines are.
>>
>>47698578
Dracs make an exception for the Hunchback because it fucks shit up, though you're not wrong about the Lyrans.

Hunchies can go anywhere and fit in.
>>
>>47698578
>Also at the company level the top officer is in charge of 11 other guys, 14 if Clan.

I'd've likened it to a modern airforce. All the combat personal are officers, but the formation includes squads and squads of airfield hangers on and maintenance crew.

Claiming it's only a dozen guys feels spurious. Of course in this model, there's a real case to be made that the commander shouldn't really be in the field and the whole concept of a command lance should be dispensed with.
>>
>>47698330
Ancestral Capellan
Ancestral Capellan
Ancestral Capellan
Ancestral Capellan

Gib clay back now
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 650x632) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 650x632
>>47682112

I literally haven't posted in this thread and I have come back just to gawk at that fucking beast

Fucking purple bird stronk
>>
File: 1 (2).jpg (360 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1 (2).jpg
360 KB, 1024x1024
>>47698868
Alex did a good job. Glad we were able to save at least one of Thunder Gods designs.
>>
>>47698578
>>47698699
Mech companies have always acted more like a infantry section, and a battalion kind of like a platoon, than an actual company or battalion, which is counterintuitive, sure. But when you think of a battalion command lance as being like the LT's section in a platoon, it makes more sense
>>
>>47698578
>Assassin
>Nobody likes them much, stick it wherever

Hey, I like them! They make a perfectly adequate recon mech. Fast enough to get away from most things, tougher than the stuff that can keep up with them. Although this changes as the tech curve keeps going.
>>
>>47698991
Most modern airforces have whole cloth stolen their rank structures from conventional army forces (they used to be attachments of their respective armies)

>Nothing you've typed here seems like if refutes my airforce personnel analogy. The Mech Pilot officers do all the fightan. The squaddies fix up the machines.

>In the air you have small squadrons and wings that behave analogous to infantry sections on the ground.

I still think with the Chairforce analogy, the real commanders have no place in the field.
>>
>>47699097
>I still think with the Chairforce analogy, the real commanders have no place in the field.

You can probably chalk this up to Battletech having that whole "lol future knights" thing going on. Leading from the front is just part and parcel of the feel even though it makes zero proper military sense.
>>
>>47699125
It makes even less sense with the leaders and heirs of massive interstellar nations getting into firefights.
>>
>>47699207

I think that comes into play in one of the books about Hanse where many question if he is fit to lead as he has not bleed for his nation alongside those who fight for it.

Later in battle he does just that, asking the person who made the claim has he bleed for his nation yet.

It seems for the most part, it seems the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine, have reverted to the Knight and Samurai mentality respectively.
>>
>>47699256
Yeah, there's actually a law in the Federated Suns that bars ascension to the station of First Prince to the heir presumptive until they've served a stint in the AFFS.
>>
>>47699326

Did Victor serve with the AFFS first or the LCAF?
>>
>>47699386
Wouldn't it have been the AFFC, or would that have been later?
>>
>>47699418

I believe the AFFC wouldn't come into existence officially till Victor took the title of Archon-Prince, which was well after the Clan Invasion.
>>
>>47699449
Hm. According to Sarna, Victor was groomed for becoming the FedCom's first Archon-Prince from the start, so if that's true then his LCAF service must have been considered good enough since the realms were already technically united by Hanse and Melissa.
>>
>>47699519

Speaking of which, did the 10th Lyran side with him in the Civil War or Katrina?
>>
>>47699418
AFFC. Even if the FedCom nation wasn't "official" yet then AFFC replaced both state's militaries in 3042.
>>
>>47699647
Both the 10th Lyran Guard and Regulars sided with Victor. Only a handful of Lyran units did, since the rest were braindead.
>>
>>47699807

>Only a handful of Lyran units did, since the rest were braindead

I assume he had more support in the Federated Sun half of the Commonwealth and the Mercenary market then.
>>
>>47685072
Hell's Horses a minor state? Kiss my fucking ass
>>
Are there any estimates of the number of mechs in the hands of the various Solaris VII gladiators as of the 3050s? There must be a couple regiments worth
>>
>reading Malicious Intent
>get to this gem during the Coventry debacle:
>The only true obstructionist proved to be the Eleventh Guards' Marshal Sharon Byran. Because Coventry was a Lyran Alliance world, she argued that, as the Archon's representative, she should be given a commanding role in the planning and execution of the expedition. She quickly alienated the mercenaries by implying that their commitment was suspect because they were being paid to fight. Colonel Dan Allard had pointed out that the Eleventh Lyran Guards had fled from the fight with the Free Worlds League and suggested that if the task force planned to retreat before a shot was fired, she would be consulted for her expertise in the matter.

I hope Dan gave her some ointment for that burn
>>
File: 1465481405607.jpg (120 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
1465481405607.jpg
120 KB, 460x287
>>47698699

>All the combat personal are officers, but the formation includes squads and squads of airfield hangers on and maintenance crew.

The combat and support elements are explicitly separate though, so your headcanon doesn't apply.

>>47699326

Can be ignored if you're Katherine Steiner-Davion enough though.
>>
>>47701343
>I hope Dan gave her some ointment for that burn
I hope he poured salt on it. Marshal Sharon Byran was the personification of everything wrong with the Lyran military, and the Falcons killing her raised the planet's average IQ by ten points.
>>
>>47701647
>Marshal Sharon Byran was the personification of everything wrong with the Lyran military

Purchased her commission, spent more times at galas than at general staff meetings, piloted an Atlas?
>>
>>47701845
So your average Lyran general/marshal.
>>
>>47701845

No. Was regarded as an exceptional Lyran officer and promoted into positions of power due to that and her personal loyalty to Nondi and Katherine Steiner.

Gets herself killed in the FedCom Civil War after she ignores Adam Steiner's advice and tries to defend against the Falcons from a fixed position.

Pilots a 95-tonner in the Banshee as well.
>>
>>47701845

Just reading the book Heir to the Dragon, it seems every Lyran field commander has an Atlas on them.
>>
>>47701885
Well, I was close. Knew she couldn't be an archetypical Steiner fuckup if she didn't also drive a high-tonnage assault.
>>
>>47701885
>tries to defend against the Falcons from a fixed position.
That's a reasonably solid plan, though. Clans have the advantage in mobility, so set up overlapping fields of fire and a solid air defense net and use your advantages in toughness to pin them down and destroy them.
>>
>>47703211
Yeah except that's not what she did. She slapped down a minefield with no air cover in the middle of an open plain. The Falcons just used a dropship to drop a Trinary of Elementals on her head.
>>
>>47703211
>solid air defense net
Guess what she forgot to include? Cue three Broadswords dropping Elementals right in the middle of her HQ.
>>
>>47703211
I presume there was something about that specific situation that made it a less than ideal plan. Perhaps their position was kinda bad and left them easily picked off?
>>
>>47703370
>>47703373
Or that. That'll do it too. Jesus.
>>
>>47703211
>a solid air defense net
That would be what everyone forgets, which is what went wrong in this instance and most others
>>
>>47703412
Told ya: the worst kind of Lyran stereotype. Not least for being as stupid as a fucking rock and still, somehow, reaching the rank of Marshal.
>>
>>47703211
I mean, that was kinda how the ComGuard won Tukayyid, with a side of asymmetrical warfare and boobytrapping EVERYTHING
>>
>>47703496
Don't forget that she acted like Adam Steiner was an idiot for getting beaten by Victor on Newtown Square when Victor received reinforcements. Or that Nondi Steiner chewed Adam Steiner out over losing Marshal Bryan because he should have planned the defense better, despite being overruled on the issue.
>>
>>47701038
I'm going to laugh so hard when they get reaved when the Homeworld Clans come back in 3160.
>>
>>47703605
Isn't Hell's Horses already gone? With the remnants becoming Clan Stone Lion?
>>
>>47703643
That was just the Horses that were left in the Homeworlds while most of the touman was off gobbling up half the Wolf OZ.
>>
>>47701284
The 2nd edition RPG says the quarterly games have 7 to 9 rounds, so at least 65 'Mechs and at most 512. The geometric mean should be 192.
>>
>>47703745
>The geometric mean should be 192
But on the other hand, there'd kind of have to be enough mechs for the full nine rounds, no?
So, >>47701284, probably around 400 or so, assuming that there's a decent number of transient mechwarriors and that not all of the mechs always compete in any given tournament
>>
>>47703745
>>47704048
The S7 Gamemaster's book lists numbers on the major stables and cooperatives of the early 3050s, between them there's 417 mechs and 439 mechwarriors.

And that's just the major ones that are in Solaris City, there's dozens of lesser stables and coops both there and in the other cities running the lower class arenas, though they probably have less stuff, individually the major groups listed have mechs numbers ranging in the upper teens (coops are usually around there) to around 40, average seems to be around 25-30 or so, and usually with a few more mechwarriors than mechs.
>>
>>47704487
So, probably around 550 mechs and 600 mechwarriors?
Thanks, good to know
>>
Will they ever reform the Gray Death Legion or Storm's Metal Thunder?
>>
>>47704612
The GDL was a personality mercenary unit, and once Grayson died, it was on life support anyway. That CGL accidentally Alex Carlyle (who was a shit CO anyway), means no. I did like the idea of MW4 Mercenaries saying that they were hiring farm team mercenaries to operate with them under Brewer, but obviously that failed. As for Storm's Metal Thunder, they didn't even have the luxury of a company or so survivors. Two guys walked away from the Falcons, along with the unit's dependents. That's a dead company, right there.
>>
>>47704612
Doubtful. Neither has any potential for pointless atrocities, and therefore is of no interest to the current writers
>>
File: 14769354__346274c.jpg (40 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
14769354__346274c.jpg
40 KB, 620x413
>>47704778
It's funny because it's true
>>
>>47704612
Unlikely. CGL is in the unit killing business, not the unit reviving business.

Also, if we're bringing back dead units, I'd rather have the Grave Walkers back. Maybe some of the kell hounds survivors bring the old name back, reform a battalion from the various merc leftovers hanging around in 3150
>>
File: EMP-1A_Emperor_XTROPrimitives4.jpg (142 KB, 823x850) Image search: [Google]
EMP-1A_Emperor_XTROPrimitives4.jpg
142 KB, 823x850
Battlebump
>>
>>47704831
Best to leave it be so CGL can't screw it up. I'd rather see whole new stories being written than rehashing stuff from 30 years ago. That was one of the more appealing things about early Dark Age, even if Wizkids fucked it up.

The splintering of the Inner Sphere and more powers appearing on the field is just good business, as long as they're not more fucking clanners.
>>
Anybody know if there's a fanmade ATOW sub-affiliation setup floating around for Clan Smoke Jaguar?
>>
>>47706303
Check ER:3052, it already has one for the Jaguars. If you're looking for an earlier one, Era Digest: Golden Century has another Sub-Affiliation. Other than that, you're on your own.
>>
>>47706384
Oh neat, wouldn't have thought to check those out.
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 850x1100
YES
THIS IS ALL I WANT
>>
>>47706750
I'm too much of a casualfag to know what this is, could you tell a noob?
>>
File: 18605-9736.gif (52 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
18605-9736.gif
52 KB, 320x240
>>47706750
to be honest I hope they scrap the game itself and just keep feeding us these
>>
>>47706818
Quick check of Sarna says a Terran Hegemony world that has been dead since the 1SW... Anon was hopefully being sarcastic.
>>
>>47706818
Well it was one of the few major holdouts that the former Hegemony had, and the Houses resorted to "Fuck the SLDF" and just nuked the place. So yet another dead world gets a book, and then it turns out to be a Blakist holdout.
>>
>>47707059
Well that sounds flamboyantly homosexual.
>>
>>47707068
The spoiler is just speculation. It was an irradiated wasteland, and thus dead. I'm just assuming they'll add that to make it relevant.
>>
File: mech10.jpg (39 KB, 610x738) Image search: [Google]
mech10.jpg
39 KB, 610x738
>>47707059
At this point Blakist holdouts are one of the few things to hope for.
>>
>>47707124
Maybe we'll get lucky and the place will turn out to be Planet Fallout.
>>
>>47707142
I'll allow for WALL-E style earth standin too.
>>
>>47707142
It's possible. ComStar apparently performed a cursory search, so there could be a Gorkamorka situation going on. Kerensky/Cameron style.
>>
File: denbar.jpg (147 KB, 672x562) Image search: [Google]
denbar.jpg
147 KB, 672x562
>>47707437
>ComStar apparently performed a cursory search

I would like it to be a Denbar-like surprise.
>>
>>47708707
To be fair that's a porchbux retcon. HB:HL was full of snarky or passive-aggressive changes like that.
>>
how is the scaling on those robotech destroids ech compared to btech minis? Considering picking up some warhammers and riflemen to complement my warhansa mechs.
>>
>>47710577
AFAIK, only really the Warhammer and Rifleman are really close in scale.
>>
File: 1458771656306.jpg (28 KB, 510x505) Image search: [Google]
1458771656306.jpg
28 KB, 510x505
>>47709969
>porchbux retcon
It's not the change itself that irks me, it's that this sort of thing has happened so often as to now be completely explainable by the above greentext.

I'd hope for the game to die in its current form so that someone else might try to do it justice, but that whole "better the devil/developer you know" thing sticks in the back of my mind.
>>
File: IMG_20160610_130723956.jpg (5 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_130723956.jpg
5 MB, 5344x3006
So far I have the intro box and all the lance boxes, actual minis for the starter scenarios (the Vees, infantry, and BMs). And I just picked what's left of the loose dark age clix on troll and toad, but only the infantry and BMs are close to scale. Is the slav mechs my best bet for expanding my collection?
>>
>>47710759
Warhansa or IWM would be the next places to go, yeah.
>>
>>47710789
Which is more cost effective or better quality?
>>
>>47710866
Warhansa is cheaper, but much more limited in selection. IWM has the "canon" looks, but is rather expensive.

Go with GHQ to proxy vees, you can get a set of 5 T-54s/62s for the price of a 2-pack of IWM Scorpions.
>>
>>47710866
>better quality
Depends on your tastes, but if you like Mechwarrior onlines designs, go warhansa.

>more cost effective
Warhansa. 10 US dollars for a mech, compared to IWM's $10+ dollars for a mech, more depending on it's size.

Warhansas catalogue is limited, unfortunately, but it's still expansive enough to net you a good collection.
>>
>>47710866
Warhansa has less variety but has good sculpts and is in plastic. IWM has the most variety, but is metal and you're better off buying from third party vendors unless it's an online exclusive. I prefer FRP Games to get mechs.
>>
>>47710961
>>47710964
>>47710977

How is the shipping cost from slavland to 'merica?
>>
>>47710866
Warhansa would largely be alternates for what you already have, since MWO's designs are only up to 3052 and only those designs with at least 3 canon variants (and they're still slowly adding even those), but I'd say it would be the place to go for adding Clan mechs to your force. Or at least the main Omni lines of clan mechs.
>>
>>47711050
Not that bad. International shipping based on class and weight of package. It cost me like... 7 bucks to have 160 dollars worth of robits shipped.
>>
>>47710977
Warhansa isn't plastic in my opinion, it's some form of resin-plastic hybrid that's this weird hue of pink.

Could be that the guy actually casts them himself, considering the Executioner model I got still had small bits of rubber mold still stuck to it.
>>
>>47711113
How long did that take?
>>
>>47710977
>>47711123
Yeah, the Warhansa stuff is cast in a resin that's got a fairly plastic-like consistency. Pretty easy to work with.

They do have some casting issues from time to time, like air bubbles, but it's not too bad for the prices you pay.
>>
>>47711155
Like... three weeks, three and a half? Depends on how efficient local postal services are, the guy taking the orders usually ships within a week from placing the order.
>>
>>47711123
>>47711214
Most resin to your average person just looks and feels like plastic. It's resin, they couldn't afford to go plastic on these.
>>
>>47711234
Do they charge any sort of tax at all? I don't have a paypal account and I don't want to use my regular card, so I figured I'd get a rechargeable one to buy the figures.
>>
>>47711823
Warhansa doesn't charge for delivery so long as you order over a certain amounts worth. Prices are taxed already, I think. I didn't have to pay any extra for what I ordered. Apart from international customs costs.

Paypal charges a minor transaction tax.

You might want to check your local customs costs to get a better idea of what it's like.
>>
File: PlasTechMechs.jpg (423 KB, 1295x400) Image search: [Google]
PlasTechMechs.jpg
423 KB, 1295x400
>>47710577
>how is the scaling on those robotech destroids ech compared to btech minis? Considering picking up some warhammers and riflemen to complement my warhansa mechs.
Damn near perfect. The Rifleman's a little short, and the Longbow has bulkier missile launchers than the old lead one, but the Whammy and Archer are literally within micrometers. Also, the Archer comes with a couple laser gunpods, so if you ever felt the need to make a Kurita Archer you can.

>>47710759
>only the infantry and BMs are close to scale
You can also get the MiningMech and Phoenix Hawk, which are in BT scale. Nothing else is, though.

>Is the slav mechs my best bet for expanding my collection?
Other than picking up some of the old PlasTechs (most of which are frankly kinda crap, and several of which are dupes of modern boxed set stuff) or the 3e boxed set? Yeah. At least if you want plastic. Starred 'Mechs below are reproduced in a modern set.

>PlasTech (good plastic, fat sculpts)
Atlas*, Catapult*, Trebuchet*, Hunchback*, Blackjack*, Panther* (Really like this sculpt though), Valkyrie (misaligned on base), Locust

>Citytech (mediocre plastic, shitty posing)
Mad Cat*, Daishi, Nova, Dragonfly
Javelin, Centurion*, Orion*, Victor*

>3e Box (shit plastic, mediocre sculpts)
Battlemaster, Marauder (incredibly bad sculpt), Warhammer, Crusader, Thunderbolt, Archer, Rifleman, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Locust, Wasp

>Robotech Tactics
Archer, Longbow, Warhammer, Rifleman, and a passable PHX-1K (the one without jets).
Supposedly we'll be getting a Crusader and a proper PHX (maybe even a Royal), but honestly with how Palladium has been handling this shit you're probably better off just waiting for Catalyst to come out with the Alpha Strike Shimmyseen boxes on those.
>>
>>47712692
Which of the plastic Thunderbolts is the best choice?
>>
>>47713029
Honestly? If you can find a Dougram Ironfoot trading figure, it's the best you're going to get. But Me and a couple other anons have been snapping them up with some regularity. The 3e boxed set one is one of the best models in that set, but you still have to deal with cleaning up the shitty vinyl they cast it in. Still only around $3-6 per model, though. Warhansa will be better quality, but more expensive and you're stuck with Alex's shitbrick instead of Okawara's good old-fashioned gorilla.
>>
>tfw you slog through a Friday day of work looking forward to your BT game that night

Felt like it was going to last as long as 3067
>>
>>47714328
Well, at least it's game time
Also, this brings up a question I've had for a while: what exactly was "forever 67", and how long did it actually last?
>>
Last two figures from my latest batch now constructed.

Got a Trebuchet and Locust. For these I did actually have to use hot water to bend certain bits, the torso gun on the Treb, and the legs on the Locust specifically. Process was easy, just boiled some water, put it in a jar, dipped the piece in for a couple of seconds (using pliers to hold the piece) then quickly poked the piece back into the corrected shape. Also adjusted the foot of the locust to be a little bit bent whilst straightening the leg.

The Treb was a little bit of a git, I think it's an older model than the rest as the arm mounts are not standardised like the rest of the plugs and don't offer any real freedom of movement without a bit of trimming. Also the ankle join definitely needed pinning.
>>
File: Scubadub and Hoochables.jpg (215 KB, 631x461) Image search: [Google]
Scubadub and Hoochables.jpg
215 KB, 631x461
>>47714498
forgot my image like a pleb.
>>
>>47714382
With the release of Endgame, and the launch of MWDA, there was no BattleTech material after 3067. So from 2002 to 2005, the "Classic" timeline was locked at December 31st, 3067, until the release of Dawn of the Jihad.
>>
File: Scumble.jpg (582 KB, 1076x711) Image search: [Google]
Scumble.jpg
582 KB, 1076x711
Size comparison with other Warhansa figures.

>>47714518
That's not all that long really. Though I guess it seemed longer with the advent of the derp age stuff making it seem like regular Battletech was going to just be stuck forever there?
>>
>>47714570
>Though I guess it seemed longer with the advent of the derp age stuff making it seem like regular Battletech was going to just be stuck forever there?
No, FASA was dead, and WizKids was intent on just skipping straight to the DA without releasing any material to cover the intervening decades. So we had no way to connect to Dark Age beyond "Jihad bad, Devlin Stone good," and it looked like that was how it was going to be until FanPro picked up the license.
>>
>>47714593
And then the Jihad came out and you kinda just wished they *had* stayed in '67 forever.
>>
>>47714682
The sheer REEEE over the opening short story from DotJ could have powered a city, lemme tell ya. Almost as bad was the end of JHS:3072.
>>
>>47714382
>what exactly was "forever 67", and how long did it actually last?
Before FASA folded, they put a bunch of shit on hold while they flogged what they could of their back stock. That included killing Crimson Skies, and locking BattleTech down to the remaining couple of sourcebooks and scenario packs, all set in 3065-67. The last was published in 2000, but the first of the set was from 1998.

Wen FanPro took over in 2002, they were originally only allowed to do things for the pre-Jihad eras, while WizKids finished "fleshing it out". It wasn't until 2005 that FanPro/Catalyst was finally allowed to publish new timeline material, so 3067 was a hard line in the history for the better part of 8 years (and the first two Jihad sourcebooks are also set in 3067, along with the first two new TROs).
>>
>>47714699
>The sheer REEEE over the opening short story from DotJ could have powered a city, lemme tell ya.
Man, I wish that the archives from back then were still around
>>
>>47714682

If I had one wish (and knowing how often gamers get sick with shit), some terminally-ill Battletech lover with nothing left to lose would go to Gencon and blow up the CGL booth or shoot it up or something. Every single person tangenitally connected to that company deserves a bullet in the back of the head.

And yet, these people keep being allowed to live and write this shit. There's no justice in the world.
>>
>>47714570
>>47714517
How is the scale with regular mechs?
>>
>>47714570
>That's not all that long really.
We were playing 3067ish for eight years. That was a while.
>>
>>47714699
I never got the big deal, it was a fine short story that worked.
>>
File: Stalkan.jpg (348 KB, 800x604) Image search: [Google]
Stalkan.jpg
348 KB, 800x604
>>47714947
>>
File: Deku Skrubs.jpg (443 KB, 1004x530) Image search: [Google]
Deku Skrubs.jpg
443 KB, 1004x530
>>47714981
Ok yeah that is a chunk longer than the 3 years of >>47714518

>>47714947
>>47715025
>>
>>47714995
Well, different people grog out at different intensities. I'm not a big Jihad era fan but I in turn am not a member of Team 3025 Only.
>>
File: Russian_scale_is_greatest_scale.jpg (143 KB, 1536x818) Image search: [Google]
Russian_scale_is_greatest_scale.jpg
143 KB, 1536x818
>>47714947
>>
>>47714699

"Here is part of the story, you can only read the rest by going on-line to our shitty site!" probably didn't help much.
>>
>>47715053
Speaking of, if you like advanced tech but can't stand the Clans, is 2750 a good compromise era? I imagine that's what the intent is but does it work out in practice?
>>
>>47715766
>2750 a good compromise era? I imagine that's what the intent is but does it work out in practice?
Not especially. Sure there's no clans, but the Star League dominates the setting to such extremes that there isn't much in the way of variation in game scenarios and campaigns are extremely restricted
>>
File: MekHQ Help Request.jpg (258 KB, 1387x893) Image search: [Google]
MekHQ Help Request.jpg
258 KB, 1387x893
/btg/ I'd really appreciate some help here in getting past a major derp point in my MekHQ experience. How exactly do I actually start a mission?

Pic very much related
>>
>>47715944

That mission is scheduled to happen on November 17th. Your campaign date is the 15th. Click "Advance Day" twice to advance to the 17th.

I have no clue about your database thing, though.
>>
>>47715882
Hm, bit of a pity.
>>
>>47716024
Deeply Obliged NEA, Deeply Obliged.
>>
>>47716032
I would suggest either the periphery or Chaos March circa 3058 as good alternatives. There's level 2 tech, but not overwhelming amounts (though it would be very easy to headcanon it upwards for your own games if you want to), essentially no clantech, and the scale is small enough for players to have a real impact on not only local events, but since the time and place is significant to larger events, you could potentially change big moments in the setting, if that interests you
>>
If you care about fluff you are the literal cancer killing this ***game***
>>
File: 1458431565259.jpg (59 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1458431565259.jpg
59 KB, 500x501
>>47716345
>>
Are there any Solaris mech designs common enough to reasonably appear on a merc general RAT?
>>
>>47716990

The line with RATs these days from CGL is that they don't represent how common a design is (despite them literally publishing books saying that's what they're intended to reflect in the past).

So it doesn't really matter. If they're present on the MUL they may as well be on an RAT too. Unless they're marked as Unique I suppose.
>>
Playing a game tomorrow, BV cap around 12500. Opponent is going to be an Inner Sphere force, unknown composition with tech circa 3060.

Here's my star as I've thought it out. Thoughts? Suggestions on variants?
>Dire Wolf B
>Stormcrow B
>Mad Dog A
>Warhawk Prime
>Kingfisher D
>>
>>47717010
Well, you didn't take a Hellstar, so you're not a real asshole.
>>
So did it ever say if Victor was bitter or resentful of the way things had turned out by the time the Civil War had reached it's conclusion?

Also did anyone attempt to get him to reforge the Commonwealth rather than breaking it up?
>>
Completely new to battle tech, how does army construction work? Does it use points costs? How much can I cram into a normal list?
>>
>>47717024
Maybe I should remedy that.
>>
>>47717068
>Does it use points costs?
Yeah, it's called Battle Value or BV.
>How much can I cram into a normal list?
No such thing as a "normal list". BV varies wildly by scenario. You agree to a BV limit before the game with your opponent, and build from there
>>
>>47717068
It uses points costs. You'll see a lot of record sheets have a BV number on them; that's the points cost. There are two versions of BV, but I'm pretty sure most people use BV 2.0.

8000 BV is a good number. Usually fun.
>>
>>47717068
Most games are balanced by battle value, but it is not absolutely required. Also, the era the battle is in will dictate what units and tech is available. Moreover, units are not always locked to a specific faction. For example, a Fed Suns force could field a Panther salvaged from the Draconis Combine.
>>
>>47717000

The RATs I make for CGL do (well, as best as I can within the confines of the official tables and how little info there is for newers designs on those RATs). I'm not sure about those made by others.
>>
>>47717117
>>47717126
>>47717652
Thanks.

Ok my next question: Supposedly I'll be playing 3025, which file do I want for the record sheets? I got the core rules from the link in the OP.
>>
>>47717757
Download Solaris Skunk Werks, and is library file. You can print record sheets from it. Use the Master Unit List to see what mechs are available in the timeline. Alternatively, record sheets 3039 should work as well. You can also look through Technical Readout 3025 or 3039 for a description of the mech chassis available in the time period.
>>
>>47703211
We started this thread with Worf.
There has to be a fuck up to make the good guy look good.
>>
File: 1446413314044.jpg (47 KB, 401x640) Image search: [Google]
1446413314044.jpg
47 KB, 401x640
>>47716990
>Are there any Solaris mech designs common enough to reasonably appear on a merc general RAT?
If you're going to do a 2D12 RAT, I'd suggest that rather than putting individual Solaris designs on, you make "3" or "11" a special result that lets you roll on secondary charts based on weight. Then include Solaris designs, as well as Omnis and limited-run custom jobs on that (like the Bandersnatch, which is popular but basically hand-built), and/or the option to roll on a salvage table for another power.

That's how I run my games, it's worked pretty well for the last 12 years or so..
>>
>>47717991

Sharon Byran was never shown to be good so that's not even a consideration.

She's always been depicted as an assholish, incompetent, Wallosteel Katrina Steiner cheerleader who only got where she was because Nondi and Katrina thought she was awesome, not as any kind of decent leader.
>>
>>47718521
Good idea. I've been working on something very similar but with 2D10 base tables and 2D6 side tables. Can't believe I didn't think of it for Solaris mechs
>>
>>47718521
>>47718863
Actually, now that I think about it, I could just expand the "Unusual Battlemechs" t
subtable to 2D10 and include the Solaris designs there. Thanks for the help, buddy
>>
>>47718596
Oh, House Steiner, you are always good for lulz.
>>
>>47720037
Have some quotes from Marshal Bryan: (In reference to her overall strategy of "sit and wait for them to come to us, rather than counterattack) "Yes, we may lose a few planets, but in the end, the Falcons will be smashed against our anvil. We can easily retake those worlds once the Falcons are routed." and her excellent plan for a static defense: "I'll have multiple regiments using this as their focal point. It will draw in the Jade Falcons like a wave against a sea wall. And when they hit it, the results will be the same. They'll break here."
>>
>>47720513

AKA: "I saw Kai Allard-Liao do this once by accident, and I'm awesome enough to do it on purpose. Nondi and Katrina both said so."
>>
Ok, our seven year long Btech/Mechwarrior campaign ended on thursday with a Prologue of what the characters ended up doing after the liberation of Terra. Some got married, everyone ended up retiring. One even got the call from the general and left for Exodus.

Them feels man. Them feels.
>>
File: Wayne_Waco.jpg (87 KB, 245x513) Image search: [Google]
Wayne_Waco.jpg
87 KB, 245x513
>>47720879
Well here's to you, last of the old brred
>>
File: neat.png (401 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
401 KB, 600x450
>>47720879
Congrats, dude.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.