[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Favorite deck?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.
>>
File: Overall Modern Metagame.jpg (224 KB, 1230x919) Image search: [Google]
Overall Modern Metagame.jpg
224 KB, 1230x919
The overall Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
>>
File: Paper Modern Metagame.jpg (141 KB, 1232x641) Image search: [Google]
Paper Modern Metagame.jpg
141 KB, 1232x641
The paper Modern Metagame.
>>
File: Jeskai Kiki-Harbinger.jpg (156 KB, 780x778) Image search: [Google]
Jeskai Kiki-Harbinger.jpg
156 KB, 780x778
>Playing?
Jeskai Harbinger Control, Grixis Midrange/Control, Kiki-Chord
>Brewing?
Jeskai Kiki-Harbinger
>Favorite deck?
Any interactive deck.
>Next MTG Purchase?
4x Sensei's Divining Top, 2x JTMS, 4x Force of Will
>>
File: purest waifu.jpg (387 KB, 1728x972) Image search: [Google]
purest waifu.jpg
387 KB, 1728x972
>>47670629
>>Playing?
Death & Taxes
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/death-taxes-modern-edition/
>>Brewing?
nothing, just tweaking D&T
>>Favorite deck?
D&T by a wide margin
>>Next MTG Purchase?
nothing, barring goodstuff from Eldritch Moon
>>
Can I replace verdant catacombs with wooded foothills in abzan company? I'm poor but I don't trust the china man.
>>
>>47671260
It depends. You should count up the number of mana sources you have in each color. (Wooded Foothills counts as all three if you have the right shocks). Then figure out how many mana sources you need f each color. To get green on turn one, you want 16, at least. I forget all of the numbers, but you can look it up. If you need more black sources, you might need some verdants or you need to tweek another part of the mana base.
>>
>>47671260
Wouldn't it be better to play Kiki Chord instead? Probably cheaper.
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 500x500
>>47670629
>>Playing?
Titanshift, Infect
>>Brewing?
Nothing, just tuning flex slots.
>>Favorite deck?
Titanshift. Zooicide and loam are fun, but they lose too often to be favorites.
>>Next MTG Purchase?
Titanshift stuff. I want to build something new, but it isn't cost effecient compared to fine tuning.
>>
lgs is running proxy modern and im a standard babby. what should I play?
>>
>>47671627
RW lockdown
>>
>>47671576
What do you like about titanshift over infect?
>>
File: Reality Smasher.png (128 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Reality Smasher.png
128 KB, 223x311
>>47670629
>Playing?
Jund.
>Brewing?
Bant Eldrazi. The deck is powerful, yet it's still new and being explored. We will find the ultimate list. It's not a matter of if, but when.
>Favorite deck?
I own most of Modern's Tier 1-2s thanks to cross-deck staples (such as Noble Hierarch), but Jund is by far the most fun deck. I love having strong topdecks and I love shredding my opponents' plans.
>Next MTG Purchase?
TBD. I am missing a few important Modern staples and it might be wise to purchase them sometime this summer. Wizards' reprint rate is way too slow.
>>
>>47671526
I already own Kiki chord. Looking to branch out into other decks.
>>
>>47671758
Their removal doesn't matter and you can win off of topdecks. Ramping more than once per turn is fun.
>>
>Playing?
Affinity, Stompy, Goblins, and B/W Tokens

>Brewing?
I'm trying to make Polymorph Tokens work by adding Polymorph, Emrakul and other card draw spells to B/W tokens

>Favorite deck?
Besides Affinty would be either Merfolk, R/G Eldrazi, Tooth and Nail or RUG Scapeshift

>Next MTG Purchase?
Whatever I need to finish Scapeshift and Merfolk which would be one Cryptic, one Snapcaster, the Scapeshifts, the Valakuts, a playset of Vials and a playset of Lord of Atlantis.
>>
>playing
Naya Burn, Zoo, Green Aggro

>Brewing
Trying to find a way to make Aristocrats relevant outside of standard. Also tokens. I like tokens.

>Favorite Deck
I've always liked Zoo brews.

>next purchases
A playset of City of Traitors and Chalice of the Voids
>>
Why the fuck is gifts ungiven over $20 now?
>>
>>47672740
Every time something gets remotely playable in modern it spikes in price. Just look at Tooth and Nail.
>>
So is anyone gonna make monastery mentor work in modern?
>>
>>47672974
Wasn't he used with young pyromancer in some token decks a while back?
>>
>>47672974
Mentor isn't going to be a thing in a format where Top isn't legal and Lightning Bolt is the most prolific spell.

Sorry Wizards wants Modern to be aggro.format.

Play Legacy instead.
>>
Can I play UR delver without snapcaster, or am I gonna have to shell out $240 for a playset of those?
>>
>Playing?
Mono U Taking Turns
>Brewing?
UW Taking Turns
>Favorite deck?
Probably Turns, I've played most of the Tier 1 decks on xmage and don't have as much fun.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Chalice of the Void
>>
>>47673469
You can, the best ur builds are really low curve builds anyway. Use Stormchaser Mage.

None of the delver decks are particularly good right now though. The best one I've seen(and tested) is Overturf's, and it's not a dedicated delver deck, it's more like grixis midrange with delvers thrown in.
>>
I'm new to magic, and tecently a friend gave me a ton of innistrad commons. What are some of the better budget decks you can make? All I can think of is like, red and white or green aggro, and hope I get a good curve and kill them by turn 5
>>
>>47673593
Thank you jesus

Fortunately I already have a set of Stormchasers. I don't feel like spending 240 on cards I won't use often.

What else do I throw in other than stormchaser and delver? I'm thinking a bunch of blue control cards, but what else? What's vital for the deck to function other than bolt and shit?
>>
>>47673653
Swiftspear, a bunch of cantrips, more (forked) bolts. Disrupting Shoal (seriously). Curiosity has seen some play.

You don't want to play "control" cards in ur. You don't have the curve, the ability to grind, or the inevitability of other colors/deck. You want to take a proactive stance and protect your threats, which is why free cards like shoal are important(and why delver doesn't really work in modern). Mutagenics might work.

Read Jordan Boisvert's delver articles. Don't get too fixated on a particular build, but pay attention to why certain cards are used over others.
>>
>>47673761
I'm talking swiftspear, probe, bolt, mana leak, etc.
>>
>>47673761
One more thing, what lands are good grabs that won't break my wallet? I know shivan reef is a good option, but what about shit like Desolate Lighthouse?
>>
>>47673898
Any blue fetches and steam vents(probably no more than 2). You can also run one or two sulfur falls.
>>
Is there a deck in modern that rips apart the opponents hand from turn 1?
>>
>>47674157

Chew Chew, look it up
>>
>>47674434
>modern manners is it rude to chew gum?

hue
>>
my cheap mono blue deck for fun at the game shop

thoughts?

20 land
1 kraken hatchling
4 deny existence
2 delver of secrets
2 annul
2 aberrant researcher
4 thing in the ice
4 catalog
3 press for answers
1 engulf the shore
3 jaces scrunriny
4 niblis of dusk
4 stitches mangler
2 pore over pages
2 dispel
2 Geralfs masterpiece
>>
File: 1458840332047.jpg (220 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
1458840332047.jpg
220 KB, 640x853
>playing
Infect, UWR control, Burn, Stonerain
>brewing
Valakut Breach
>favorite deck
2011 wolf run ramp
>next purchase
a couple more through the breach and stomping grounds
>>
>>47674526
Why the thing in the ices? Theres literally no spells to pop them.

I don't get what you're trying to go for here
>>
>>47674732
all the spells in the deck pop thing in the ice
what are you talking about?
thing in the ice is poped by instances and sorcerys
all I'm running IS instants and sorcerys
>>
>>47674785
>>47674732
>>
>>47673638
>What are some of the better budget decks you can make?

Depends on the format you want to play. For casual play it really varies because there are no banned lists so I'm sure you could make some really absurd decks with a small budget. If you want to play at your LGS then you would probably need a constructed deck. Usually decks in constructed formats go over $100 but you can make a very good EDH deck for under $100 dollars (a lot of people who stick only to EDH as this is the cheapest and most casual constructed format). For the other constructed formats prices usually go like this: Standard < Modern < Legacy < Vintage.

Standard is the most popular and entry level format so its good for new players because there aren't many mechanics and a lot of people playing it are learning as well. The downside is that cards rotate regularly so whatever money you invest in your deck is very likely going to be lost. The other formats are eternal, which means that the cards never rotate out so whatever deck you buy from that format is very likely to stay alive forever (unless they ban cards like what has happened in Modern lately).
>>
>>47674526
how casual is the game shop youre going to? youre going to get your ass handed to you if they play anything remotely competitive.
>>
>>47675002
most people there have pretty shit decks
>>
>>47675002
any ideas on how to make it better?
>>
>playing
GR Tron, almost done with jund

>brewing
a good stompy list

>favorite deck
GR Tron has been my first and favorite modern deck, and probably always will be.

>next purchase
based chinaman goyfs/bobs.
>>
I've been tuning my UW list, what do you guys think?

Mainboard:
4x Geist of Saint Traft
4x Thing in the Ice

4x Path to Exile
4x Serum Visions
4x Isochron Scepter
3x Spell Snare
3x Vapor Snag
3x Echoing Truth
2x Deprive
2x Remand
2x Curse of Exhaustion
1x Ancestral Vision
1x Sphinx's Revelation

4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Flooded Strand
9x Island
9x Plains

SB:
3x Apostle's Blessing
2x Leyline of Sanctity
2x Hurkyl's Recall
2x Deprive
2x Remand
2x Supreme Verdict
2x Stratus Dancer

I've been considering Boomerang over Echoing Truth, and I'd run the Colonnades if I had the money, but I think it's a fairly solid list.
>>
>>47675090
>>47675090
im sorry anon but your deck has little consistency and doesn't have a clear strategy of what it wants to be doing. the only thing your cards have in common is that they are blue. it would honestly take me a very long time to explain all the wrong things youre doing in that deck so I'll just tell you to play this instead

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-20-9-tix-standard-mono-blue-brains
>>
>>47675279
thank you but I was hoping to build around thing in the ice
>>
>>47675295
>Building around a card that doesn't win the game on the spot
That's not how good deckbuilding works.
>>
>>47675311
its just for fun m8
>>
>>47675331
What's the point of operating within the confines of Modern card restrictions if your chief goal is to have fun?
>>
>>47675401
that's what my shop has the most players under, and that is who i have to play with, if it was up to me I would prefer a few friends and we just play whatever, but I only have 1 other friend who plays.
>>
is tgcplayer safe to buy from?
>>
>>47675401
shouldent that be everyone's goal?
>>
>>47675435
I assume you mean tcgplayer

Yes, they are safe and honestly they are my go to for buying cards.

Ships pretty fast and they have good prices
>>
Anyone have any good U-Tron lists? Is this deck viable? Could it be good for this years WMCQ? How to adjust it to aggro match-ups?
>>
The entire point of this deck is to use Jhoira and Timecrafting to get Greater Gargadon out and Fling it at shit. What should I remove to get it to 60 and still be good?

4x Act of Treason (ORI)
2x Bazaar Trader (WWK)
4x Cursecatcher (SHM)
2x Decree of Annihilation (V14)
2x Dominus of Fealty (EVE)
4x Fling (PC2)
4x Goblin Electromancer (C15)
3x Greater Gargadon (MMA)
4x Infernal Plunge (ISD)
10x Island (SOI)
4x Izzet Charm (RTR)
2x Jhoira of the Ghitu (MMA)
2x Krenko's Command (DDN)
4x Lightning Bolt (MM2)
2x Molten Primordial (GTC)
10x Mountain (SOI)
4x Mycosynth Wellspring (C14)
4x Perilous Myr (SOM)
4x Rift Elemental (MMA)
2x Sway of the Stars (BOK)
4x Swiftwater Cliffs (EMA)
2x Timecrafting (PLC)
>>
Which deck is the most fun between this two: GR Tron; Naya Burn?
>>
>>47676879
Both of those are incredibly boring.
I'd say go with Burn since it wins or loses in 5 minutes.
>>
>>47676433
Its not awful, but you cant really adjust it for aggro. Its always going to have a weak aggro matchup while winning against control and combo.
>>
>>47676879
Naya burn is more entertaining if you enjoy the thrill of not knowing whether you're about to win or not, as often just 1 good top deck is all you need to close it out.

I enjoy playing against burn for this reason, the thrill of not knowing if you're about to win or lose is huge.
>>
>>47675235
>GR Tron player
>autist who supports Chinamen
No surprises here
>>
>>47670629
>Playing?
Kiki Chord, naya burn and bogles
>Brewing?
Just fiddling with the flex spots in chord
>Favorite deck?
Chord, it can be a headache with all the lines but it's so satisfying when you make the right call. Burn and bogles can't match that.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Nothing, trying to actually sell off a lot of my stuff because magic is dying in my town and Hex is just way more fun to play.
>>
Are modern threads seriously dying out
>>
>>47680054
No one wants to talk about new shit.

I'm making an Enduring Ideal deck.
>>
File: Ad Infinitum.jpg (45 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ad Infinitum.jpg
45 KB, 375x523
What would happen to modern if simian spirit guide was banned but a card like this was printed for Ad Nauseam?
>>
>>47680150
Good luck losing to double Bolt
>>
>>47675295
okay i'm here again. if you want to build around TiTi then you should play a control deck with lots of cheap spells instants and sorceries. and by lots I mean that almost all of your spells must be able to trigger TiTi. for this I would recommend building your deck with the colors Blue and Red or Black or both. include cards like Lightning Bolt that are cheap and remove your opponents threats, also cantrips like Serum Visions, counterspells to protect TiTi or any important spell you don't want them to resolve and cards with Flashback like Think Twice and Snapcaster Mage. Snapcaster Mage is a good combo because TiTi bounces it back after flipping so you can use it again.

All this said you should have in mind that TiTi is not a reliable win condition. while a decent blocker and a good clock for your opponent it is very fragile and your priority should be taking the game into the late game where you have all the card advantage and you are able to cast your real win condition: something that is really hard to remove and that will finish the game fast (something like Sphinx of the Final Word).
>>
>>47680341
Would jeskai titi work? Run titi along side snaps, Nahiri emrakul and collonades. The rest of the deck is just bolt, helix, path etc. Or does Nahiri emrakul just make titi not worth it?
>>
If you where going to print a 0 cost artifact with draw a card on it, how would you balance it
>>
File: 138.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
138.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
>>47680927
>>
File: 138.jpg (24 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
138.jpg
24 KB, 312x445
>>47680927
Make it draw the card next turn instead of immediately.
>>
>>47680990
Etb draw a card you don't have to sac it
>>
>>47680341
allright thank you
>>
>>47680927
>>47681041
It would need a drawback to not just be a way to play a 56 card deck. The only thing I can come up with is both players drawing, but I don't think it would be playable like that.
>>
>>47681303
How about

Unstable engine 0

When unstable engine enters the battlefield draw a card

When unstable engine leaves the battlefield its controller loses 10 life
>>
>>47676681
Reee gib advice
>>
File: 1427043550634.jpg (38 KB, 450x495) Image search: [Google]
1427043550634.jpg
38 KB, 450x495
>>47679144
>spent his entire paycheck on cardboard rectangles
>>
>>47681451
My advice is to not play a shit meme deck
>>
>>47681503
but anon, money is paper...
>>
>>47680428
Then there is no point to running titi in the first place. You already have the win condition of bolts, colonades, and the nahiri package. Titi at that point is just going to dilute your deck and split it's foc u s. Especially if you run a playset.
>>
>>47681503
>working at a mcjob
>>
>>47680927
As an aditional cost. Exile a nonland card from your hand.
>>
>>47681451
Play Restore Balance instead.
>>
So can I build anything good for $600 or should I stick to casual
>>
>>47680208
>>47680990
Fuck off.
>>
>>47680300
>What is Runed Halo and Leyline in main board
>>
>>47683218
Excuse me
>>
>>47683409
Sorry, I meant:

>>47680208
>>47680927
Fuck off.
>>
Reminder that Chinamen fakes are still far from perfect. Keep waiting.
>>
>>47683655
Reminder to counterfeit fags to post on their own containment thread.
>>
>>47673593
I've been playing a quite fun list with a bunch of free spells maindeck, haven't really updated the list since the twin ban, but it had:
>4 Snapback
Used to catch Twin decks off guard fizzling their Twin while I was tapped out, often use it to bounce my Snapcaster and cast another spell from my GY.
>2 Disrupting Shoal
Catches combo off guard, sometimes protects a T2 Pyromancer or a Delver if I don't have any more threats on hand.
>2 Squelch
Usually the first thing I SB out if I need slots but it's quite satisfying to Stifle a fetch and cantrip.
It's a fun deck to pilot, I can post my list when I get home from work, on my phone ATM.
>>
>>47675275
>Curse of Exaustion
>No singleton Knowledge Pool
>>
>playing
8rack, Naya burn, Suicide Zoo, UR STORM
>Brewing
brewed this sweet uw flyers deck with a friend, its fun to play
>purchase
more foils for my legacy deck
>>
Are goblins good in legacy and where should I start with them
>>
For some reason every shop that sells mtg singles that I go to is out of lightning bolts. I've tried six stores and only one had lightning bolts, but only 1 copy. I would order online but my past experiences with EBay have made any online purchase unsavory.
>>
>>47684174
>eBay
>ever
>>
>>47675275
>Curse of Exhaustion
Why not Eidolon of Rhetoric? It's one less mana meaning your 1 mana instants can come out turn 4 instead of 5 It's a creature which your deck badly needs, passes bolt test, and I can't see it hurting you outside of control mirror.

Prairie Stream seems like a good alternative to Hallowed Fountain (since you've got assloads of basics), as way to mitigate damage against aggro/burn since you're only running the single Sphinx's Rev. Kitchen Finks can also help there too.

>I'd run the Colonnades if I had the money
But you have 4 serum visions, paths, Geists, fetches, shocks. A single Colonnade (all you need) will run you the same or less than as any of those playsets.

>4 Geists
I run 3 max in any build, but my metas tend to skimp on the removal, so if I were to draw that second Geist, I can end up with dead cards in hand thanks to legendary rule. Your call.
>>
The list I posted was actually my ideal build, I'm missing a few cards from it, namely 2 of the Geists and the Snares. I'm running Delver in place of the Geists and Mana Leak in place of the Snares until I can get them.
>Eidolon of Rhetoric
I'm not running Eidolon mainly because the Curse of Exhaustion is really just gravy when a game goes long, I've actually considered going down to 1, and I don't want to up the creature count because this is supposed to be a genuine control build. Geist closes out a game much faster and is far easier for me to protect (keeping the board clear is significantly easier than stopping removal). I'm running 4 because if I don't draw one, it's really hard for me to close out a game.

>Prairie Stream
I actually happen to already be running these. I agree with you on running them over the shocks, but I wasn't 100% sure about it since they can't come in untapped until turn 3.

>1 Colonnade, other cards being more expensive
I already had the fetches because of KTK, paths and visions since I won the promos, and 2 Geists which I picked up for cheap a while ago, since this sort of deck has been on my mind for a while. I just wasn't able to pick up the colonnades when I was buying the rest of the cards for it.
>>
Is there a deck that is in Sultai colors that is not dredge?
>>
>>47684213
I use eBay all the time.

What are you even getting at?
>>
>>47683830
Im really interested in your list
>>
>Opponent smugly casts Nahiri
>Let her resolve
>Let her tick up
>Let her ultimate
>''Haha now I go get Emrakul and wipe your board''
>At the start of combat I Cryptic to tap down Emrakul and draw a card
My god this shitty memewalker needs to fucking die already.
>>
>>47685695
did you win?
>>
>>47670629
>Playing?
Affinity
>Brewing?
8 Whack
>Favorite deck?
Slivers
>Next MTG Purchase?
Manaless Dredge for Legacy and filling out my sideboard in Modern (Blood Moon, a second Thoughtseize, etc.)
>>
>>47685695
>Ulting Nahiri with no counterspell backup

Your opponent deserves to lose
>>
>>47685112
If you buy a card that's on Villa Zheng's list off of a seller that isn't a large/local store or TCGPlayer certified you are a genuine fucking idiot.
>>
>>47685112
Not him but sketch sellers. Lots of counterfeit cards. I like to go with tcg-low if I'm trying to stay on a budget.
>>
>>47685695
Why does casuals/shitters love planeswalkers so much? Their novelty kinda wears off knowing we get like 3 of them every set. Many of them are pretty shitty to boot. I hate JtMS so much, speculatorfags trying too fucking hard to invest on "THE NEXT BIGJACE!"
>>
Is ancient stirrings busted?
>>
>>47685695
If you're playing Cryptic Command and getting to the point where Nahiri can ult, you're obviously in a mirror match or just playing a shit version of his deck friendo.
>>
>>47686086
Yes, objectively, but it's green so it will never be banned.
>>
>>47686086
Yes. The card is seriously dumb in Tron and Eldrazi.

I wonder if Affinity could use it well. The deck has so many weak draws and relies so hard on its payoff cards that maybe Stirrings is better suited than Thoughtcast.
>>
>>47685695
>opponent casts nahiri, passes turn
>play land, cast bribery, grab emrakul, put it into play
>opponent scoops
>>
Heres what I got to say about every tier 1 deck and/or its pilots so far.

>Jund
A goodstuff.dec in the end, but it's comparatively the least cancer and the least aggravating to be top of the meta.

>RG Tron
The only competitive Timmy deck around. Super linear and boring as shit otherwise.

>Abzan Company
It's either imisspod.dec, or people from standard migrating to modern.

>Jeskai Control
The new kid on the block. It's also "that kid", thinking he's super hot shit, smug, and really cocky. "Heh, checkmate!" *casts Nahiri*

>Affinity/Burn/Infect
Lumping them all together since they're the same shit, hyper linear aggro. The main decks that make people realize the grim reality that their shitty homebrews are doomed to fail. Pilots of these decks often suffer from delusions that their deck take a lot of skill, or it's harder then it looks. Some even going as far as to label Affinity and Infect as """"""""""combo"""""""""" decks.
>>
>>47686330
Not really. The main strength of the card is the ability for the decks that use it to look five cards deep and likely get what they are looking for. Affinity cares more about the quantity of the cards they get, they aren't like Tron where they need that super specific card on turn X.
>>
>>47686371
>things that never happened
>>
File: Free Delver.png (68 KB, 1086x391) Image search: [Google]
Free Delver.png
68 KB, 1086x391
>>47685258
Hibernation in the SB is for Abzan/Wilt Leaf matchups which are hard with Voice.
Electrickery is because I have a lot of WB Token decks in my meta
>>
>>47686478
I have one in the SB. It definitely did.
>>
Places to buy cheap cards in Australia that doesn't involve shelling out ridiculous amounts of money to the FLGS or American shipping costs?
>>
>>47686398
A post of a homebrewer sad
>>
>>47687143
Stone Man
>>
>>47687803
Is stoneman Zheng? Last I heard stoneman got raided or something.
>>
Holy shit balls. I just saw the spiciest fucking deck on twitch. Boros pyrohemia with boros reckoner, swans of bryn argoll, kor firewalls, etc. I might have found a new brew to try out
>>
>>47689426
Can you post a link to a list? That sounds really cool.
>>
>>47689496
it was a paper magic stream from some LGS, they've already closed down for the night. the boros pyrohemia deck went 4-0 apparently and I watched it dump on abzan midrange in the finals

a highlight of the match was blasphemous act taking out some lingering souls tokens and a tasigur while leaving his firewalker and swans untouched. also he drew 13 cards.
>>
File: 3453453245.png (419 KB, 520x371) Image search: [Google]
3453453245.png
419 KB, 520x371
So coming back to mtg after a long hiatus from which I'm now running Azban Gitrog, and I have to say, these two are pretty fun together. There's probobly a more efficient way to get the same thing going but I like it regardless.
>>
If snapcaster mage is to blue as tarmogoyf is to green and dark confidant is to black, what are the red and white equivalents?
>>
>>47689920
Stone forge mystic. Goblin guide/lightning bolt
>>
>>47690006
>If snapcaster mage is to blue
>Stone forge mystic. Goblin guide/lightning bolt
but those aren't grossly color shifted
>>
>>47690053
Neither are the first 3?
>>
File: 2-2-wolf.png (150 KB, 252x356) Image search: [Google]
2-2-wolf.png
150 KB, 252x356
Does anyone at your shop play with lewd tokens/playmats?

I ran into my first tonight at SCG Game Night. Had some anime waifu in panties for a playmat. Fat as fuck neckbeard.
>>
What's a good red/blue manabase to have?

Desolate lighthouse and Nivix look like some neat little ability lands.
>>
File: glorious_grixis_master_race.png (1 MB, 1309x751) Image search: [Google]
glorious_grixis_master_race.png
1 MB, 1309x751
>tfw Nahiri Jeskai is just a bad meme deck
>>
>>47690558
No dank dwellers for that insane value?
>>
>>47686398
I play infect because it's closest to what delver is trying to do, but it actually works.
>>
>>47690506
Lighthouse is solid, but Nivix is WAY too slow.
>>
>>47686067
>If you buy a card that's on Villa Zheng's list off of a seller that isn't a large/local store or TCGPlayer certified you are a genuine fucking idiot.
I have playsets of nearly all those cards (I don't need 4 Thunder Spirits or 4 Sliver Legions), so nothing to worry about there.

>>47686069
>Lots of counterfeit cards.
I check everything I get (UV, magnifying glass) and if I've got any fakes yet, then they're indistinguishable from real cards.
>>
>>47690614
I think hes using tasigur for the value slot, I just want to know why he hasnt picked up a kalitas
>>
>>47673469
No.

It's 100% required. It's the best draw part turn 3 and one of your main win conditions if the game goes longer than 5 turns
>>
>>47673469
Snapcaster mage is the best blue creature and you should reconsider why youre playing blue if you wouldnt want to play your spells you're including more than once.
>>
>>47673653
If you want budget Delver your creature options are:

>Delver of Secrets
>Monastery Swiftspear
>Young Pyromancer
>Stormchaser Mage

And that's basically it honestly. You'll suffer from the lack of Snapcaster Mage though due to Bolt Snap Bolt being a serious value play in a deck that's all about fast value.
>>
>>47691648
There is no bolt in red that does 6 damage for 4 mana. Snapcaster is 100% worth it every time.
>>
>>47691955
The downside to Snapcaster is that if the body itself can't get damage in, you've just paid 3 mana for 3 damage.
>>
>>47686563
Update on Free Delver
G1 vs Elves
>Got a t1 Delver, had a hard time flipping it
>Squelched their T2 Misty which seemed to greatly delay them
>Ended up bolting Heritage and beating face with Delver, flooded super hard, won with beats

>SB
+2 Hibernation
+2 Electrickery
-2 Spell Pierce
-2 Gitaxian Probe

G2
>Mull to 5 to find a Delver and Electrickery
>They t1 Mana Dork
>T2 another Dork Heritage and Archdruid
>EOT Snapback Archdruid and overload Electrickery during my mainphase for a 3v1
>win with Delver beats
Thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>47692263
yeah, but you flashed it back so you got to play your dead spell again. Its not snapcasters fault you cant get damage in after the bolt or use it to get rid of a creature.
>>
>>47684134
Nope. Any strategy that involves having lots of creatures on board is not viable in Legacy because of motherfucking Miracles.
>>
>>47684895
You could probably make a port of Sultai Midrange in Standard to Modern, not saying it would be pretty good but... you get to play Abrupt Decay.
>>
>>47686084
At least JtMS is "fun" to play. The fuckin' new planeswalkers are just bland as fuck.
>>
>>47692334
Goblins is favored against Miracles. Aether Vial and Cavern of Souls are great against Counterbalance, and Goblin Matron and Goblin Ringleader can rebuild the board very quickly after Terminus.
>>
>>47690558
>says Nahiri is a meme
>mainboard dreadbore instead of terminate
You may lie, but your deck can't.
>>
I've been trying to get into MTG for a while.
Is there any point to be creative with decks, or I can just copy & paste decks from internet that are said to be good (metagame tier 1 decks)
>>
>>47692859
Nahiri a meme and regeneration is barely relevant.
Taking out Lili is more likely
>>
>>47693448
INSTANT
N
S
T
A
N
T
>>
>>47693368
There is a point on beign creative, but it's not for begginers. Just copy and paste until you get the idea of what is actually good and what is not.
Thousends of people walked the same path that you are starting now, might as well try what and why they did first.
>>
File: 1458514625417.jpg (38 KB, 502x467) Image search: [Google]
1458514625417.jpg
38 KB, 502x467
>>47689634
>>
>>47693368
The older you get, the more you realise that "creative" is a meaningless word used to validate children.
>>
>>47693623
I feel sorry for you. Of course creativity is important. It's just not for everyone.

And you learned the hard way, don't worry there is a lot of work and fun around for ded brained people.
>>
>>47693756
There are no tangible benefits to being "creative", and no metrics to gauge it anyway, as evidenced by how many people shoehorn tribal decks together and think they're creative for doing it.
>>
>>47693756
Of course creativity is cool when you are playing with friends and making new decks to play with. But in reality (competitive scene) those decks are worth nothing, isn't it so?
>>
>Playing?
Naya burn
>Brewing?
R/G Titanshift
>Favorite deck?
Naya burn, jund
>Next MTG Purchase?
Primeval titans or scapeshifts or fnm promo Sakura tribe elder

We made a gauntlet of the decks and that's when I found about about titan shift and decided to craft it for myself
>>
>>47670629
How's this for my first attempt at a Zombie tribal?

Zombie.Dec

Creatures: (20)
>Gravecrawler x4
>Relentless Undead x4
>Diregraf Captain x2
>Death Baron x4
>Diregraf Colossus x4
>Unbreathing Horde x2

Sorceries: (8)
>Ghoulcaller's Chant x4
>Glimpse the Unthinkable x4

Enchantments: (7)
>Necromancer's Stockpile x4
>Endless Ranks of the Dead x3

Instants: (2)
>Zombie Apocalypse x2

Lands: (24)
>Polluted Delta x4
>Choked Estuary x4
>Cavern of Souls x4
>Island x3
>Swamp x9
>>
>>47693448
>i-it doesn't kick my ass desu senpai, i just prefere playing strictly worse cards, t-that's all
>>
File: Saber.jpg (57 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Saber.jpg
57 KB, 400x300
>>47690242
I ran into a very polite grill using 2hu sleeves and anime tokens. her soldiers were saber from fate (this exact picture actually, 1st google result) and I think her spirits were an SAO character. Overall I was very confused.
>>
>>47670629
Hey guys, I wanna play Dredge, but I don't want to play dredgevine.
Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>47695130
Why? dredgevine is best dredge. You could try the BR version with greater gargadon.
>>
>>47693803
>as evidenced by how many people shoehorn tribal decks together and think they're creative for doing it.
Thinking you're creative dosen't make you actually creative.
>>47693850
In (competitive scene), creative decks take the meta by storm and quickly gets adapted to and ends up in tiers. Griselshoal was a great example, UB Mill winning that tournament not long ago, Nahiri Jeskai.
Every new deck was created by someone and adapted by many, those are innovators, people that keep Magic fresh. They even get to get cards cheaper before you mindless drones get them out of the market.
>>
>>47695130
look up prized dredge. it's more like normal dredge with prized amalgam. I've also seen exactly one variation of prized dredge that focuses on a 5c mana base and crams 1 unburial rites and 3 ridiculous fatasses (elesh norn, iona, massacre wurm) so you can surprise buttsex if the game drags on and they haven't molested your graveyard yet.
>>
>>47695142
>Why?
Because fuck 100 dollars for four vengevine.
Also, I'm working on re-animator dredge, I just need more work for the deck.
>>
>>47695160
>massacre wurm
That looks amazing, I'll pick one of those up tomorrow.
>>
>>47695174
yeah, and bloodghast is 20 dollars too, you gonna leave that out?

>>47695160
Amalgam's are great in dredgevine, they give you zombies so you can play gravecrawlers easier to get your vengevines out. Been working out great. Been running Travis "Hitler did nothing wrong" Woo's list.
>>
>>47685695
>I cast a 1BBB spell after opponent ultimated his Nahiri
>opponent rummaged at least two times
>opponent has at least 4 mana open
>still write a shitty greentext to stroke your ego
>this shit never happened and you damn well know, that Nahiri is played in a shell that also plays Negate, Leak and Cryptic

you are a bitter little faggot with a superiority complex
just accept, that she is a solid PW for modern and people once again failed at evaluating her
>>
>>47695231
>yeah, and bloodghast is 20 dollars too, you gonna leave that out?
Already did my friend.
I am fucking cheap.
Eventually I'll include them, but I have no interest in them at the moment.
>>
>>47695245
People don't always have counterspells you know. As far as nahiri goes, she's okay. Not amazing but definitely gives jeskai a clock that it needed. Still don't like the deck though.

>>47695256
Did you at least get grave trolls?
>>
>>47695317
>grave trolls
Have a full playset, thankfully I got them earlier this year.
I also have the full set of narcomeba, and street wraith, right now I'm working towards getting it playable.
>>
>>47692597
So should I start with them
>>
>>47695231
Different guy but my list is a little different in that I only run 2 imp and 2 grave troll in favour of abrupt decay and Gurmag anglers. Think I'm just a dummy or what?
>>
>>47695875
Dredgie fuck here.
Honestly, four Imp and four Troll have felt necessary, I've made room for the abrupt decay in other places.
The fact that you run Angler makes me want to try at least one, but generally speaking I'm not crazy about them.
>>
>>47695875
Depends on how your deck's set up. If you're playing dredgevine then you might be a bit of a dummy, but the more midrangey dredge lists could probably get away with it.
>>
>>47695985
Anglers are sweet for all the Kalitas and Seige Rhino in my store since I'm only in one lightning axe. I want to find room for the additional imps and trolls but everything like ghasts amalgams and neonates feel too important
>>
>>47696897
I don't have any rhino or Klitty in my store thankfully, it's mostly Delver and Infect and shit like that.
>>
>>47671627
Start with aggro to get the hang of the format.
>>
>>47671627
American gifts ascendancy
>>
>>47698112
Lol wut
>>
when did burn become not mono red?
>>
>>47698300
Burn in Legacy is still best mono-red. In Modern, splash colours offer too much to pass up.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>47698300
A few reasons. You can dump a hand of 6 bolts by turn 3, or a mixture of 1 mana and 2 mana spells by turn 4. The upside to spells like flamerift is that slow 4 damage spells extend your reach from the ~20 damage range to ~24. Its a turn slower but when you get inquisitioned you still have 20 damage in hand.
Boros charm being the only flamerift is the only reason for naya. Atarkas can deal 4 or more, I think it's worth mainboarding.

There's just not enough modern printed burn spells. Optimally I'd run no Helix or DPalm, and I'm not sure on the sweetspot of Searing Blaze (3 in this meya is reasonable), I think 2 mainboard is the safest number considering how dead it is vs things like Tron. so we get shit like Nacatyl or no Nacatyl, black for Bump in the night... currently testing 4 Git Probe, and it kind of seems like the most effective (though quite painful) version I've ran. Helixs are in the side to replace when life totals matter, since again its basically a 2 mana bolt vs Tron.
>>
>>47698692
Anon, there is only 56 cards in that image.
>>
>>47698692
Have u tried

Brain in a jar
>>
>>47699039
>Brain in a jar
Wasting a second turn doing nothing in one of the faster decks in Modern...
>>
>>47691302
I just feel like my match up against Abzan Company is good enough already

>>47692859
I main a dreadbore because of Lilliana and the popularity of Nahiri Jeskai and it's just one copy. Nahiri is still a bad deck.
>>
File: 1381705278413.jpg (38 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
1381705278413.jpg
38 KB, 600x360
>>47693606
Contemporary Azban Gitrog can be a motherfucker late game. Especially with cards like Sorin or Fleshbag Marauder and using life gain shenanigans like Pulse of Murasa.
>>
File: 72.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
72.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>47681335
Mmmm. . .
>>
>>47694981
Lol
Destroying an additional card type is a down side? You're fucking stupid
>>
>>47700079
at sorcery speed..
>>
>>47689920

Snap is to blue as goyf is to green as dark confidant is to black as thalia(or stoneforge mystic) is to white as young pyromancer is to red.
>>
>>47700177
>muh draw go
>>
File: 1455003980504.jpg (67 KB, 540x588) Image search: [Google]
1455003980504.jpg
67 KB, 540x588
>Playing:
Mono Green Elves, Green Black Elves, Jund Burn

>Brewing:
Mardu Control, with Nahiri/Emrakul and some red devotion jank that I can easily put together with cards I already have.

>Favorite Deck:
Mono Green Elves, bruthers

>Next Purchase:
Need some shock lands and core pieces for mardu. Maybe a playset of confidants.

Pic related for Emrakul
>>
>>47674797
How much succes do you see? Why is kraken hatching there?
>>
>>47700401
Young Pyromancer isn't nearly game breaking enough to be considered one of the modern two drop cycle. Thalia is close, but that legendary restriction is what keeps her from truly shining among the rest.
>>
>>47700633
>Not realizing the importance of playing at instant speed and letting mana open for counterspells
>I don't like Nahiri, it must be a meme
An example of why /tg/ sucks at magic
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 226x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 226x311
>>47680208
That shit is OP as hell. It's better than a card that forced you to ante a card to play it.
>>
>>47700953
>he still plays counterspells in modern

Fuck off dude, deck is mediocre.
>>
>>47700770
>Mardu Control, with Nahiri/Emrakul
What, why not Jeskai? So you can protect her better
>>
>>47700770
Well, that would sort of be the "unknown" for him. Actually most people were to him. Not that he liked people. He didn't like anyone. But he was afraid of anyone that wasn't basically "comfy old New England townie/WASP".
>>
>>47701007
Cause blue is for faggots and black is for real OG niggers
>>
>>47701088
You are the reason magic is ruined. Creature baby afraid of blue
>>
>>47701180

More like blue under performs and Modern is Black and Red teaming up to facefuck everything
>>
File: Mcrush.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Mcrush.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
>>47680208
That card is weak sir, removes yourself.
>>
>>47701180
I found the salty blue player you guys!
Draw, go.
>>
>>47700770
>Mono Green Elves
How is tribal these days, I remember it being shat on pretty hard.
>>
>>47701248
Only downside is when someone plays boardwipes, other than that I usually have answers to anything.
>>
File: Tears.jpg (11 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
Tears.jpg
11 KB, 178x248
Current MVP cards? this one is mine after discovering how fun suicide black is.
>>
>>47700770
Play skred. Nothing like big nig dick, amirite?
>>
>>47701326
Mmmm slappa that Koth, swing with the mountain
>>
>>47695245
>1BBB
Spotted the retard
>>
File: personal_space_bro.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
personal_space_bro.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47701312
i love kitchen table
>>
>>47700930

None of them are really game breaking in most cases but they're strong enough that they're all usually two drop costed 2/1's(slight exception for Goyf) that have some inherent value brought to them. Young Pyro makes free dudes for cheap and Thalia is usually a good tax bear and can usually attack/block profitably early.
>>
>>47670629
>Playing?
Lightning Bolt Tribal

>Brewing?
Cuban Dark roast coffee

>Favorite deck?
Eggs

>Next MTG Purchase?
No idea really
>>
>>47701312
>modern
>>
>>47683170
>So can I build anything good for $600
Naya Burn
>>
>>47689518
>blasphemous act taking out some lingering souls tokens and a tasigur while leaving his firewalker and swans untouched. also he drew 13 cards.
I have an erection now.
>>
>>47694914
Its shit
Stop trying to make zombies work like elves or merfolk, your lords are too expensive and you have no way to accelerate the speed you play your duds.
Zombies power comes from the fact that you can just keep reanimating them for forever. Your opponent can't beat you in a battle of attrition because Zombies don't stay dead. Frankly if you really wanna spam zombies play 4 colour dredgevine
>>
File: 1465360469401.jpg (32 KB, 415x392) Image search: [Google]
1465360469401.jpg
32 KB, 415x392
>>47698692
>shard volley
>>
>>47700770
>Jund Burn
Gimme dat list faggot
>>
>>47701088
>I don't know how to play against counterspells
>>
>>47702266
Literally nothing wrong
>tg
>good
>magic
pick 2
>>
>>47702325
>15 Creatures:
Eidolon x4
Gobby Guide x4
Swiftspear x4
Grim Lavamancer x1
Tassigur x2

>25 Instant, Sorcery, Enchantment:
Bolt x4
Bump in the Night x4
Atarkas Command x4
Skullcrack x4
Leyline of Punishment x1 (gonna drop this though)
Rift Bolt x4
Lava Spike x4

>20 Lands:
Blood Crypt x2
Stomping Ground x2
Blackcleave Cliffs x2
Copperline Gorge x2
Wooded Foothills x4
Bloodstained Mire x4
Mountain x4

It's definately not the strongest Burn but I really like running Tassigur, he's fun. Also Bump in the Night is fun to say.
>>
>>47702410
Not that. Blue is literally for people who don't like magic. They just like drawing and saying go and playing counters. Thats not fun or interesting. I'm just gonna wait until my blue friend taps out for mana or say screw it and go ham with my elves cause I got an elf nut I need to bust it all over the battlefield
>>
>>47702525
Isn't Tassi x Lavamancer a bit of a nonbo though?
I mean I guess if you somehow get into the late game he becomes advantage, but he does have haste and he is eating up feed that your Lavamancer needs.
why aren't you running searing blaze anon?
>>
File: 1460334108021.png (334 KB, 540x394) Image search: [Google]
1460334108021.png
334 KB, 540x394
>>47702655
>blaze
Too often searing blaze would just sit in my hand as a dead card. And I've had that only a few times with tassi a lavamancer. Honestly most games I only see one or the other. And once I had a turn three tasigur and late game lavmancer and shit was dope.
But Blaze is kept in my sideboard along with molten rain and destructive revalry for sure
>>
>>47702266
I bet you run Nacatl
>>
>>47702704
What's your meta like? Who usually wins at your store?
>>
>>47702766
I've got a lot more kills running cat tits than I have running "Please Remand Me"
Fuck I would rather run Helix than run shit volley.
I would sooner butcher my manabase even further and run blood crypt or steam vents in order to play bump or snappy over shit volley
>>
>>47702810
A bunch of shit. Literally everyone has a pocket burn. There's this blue player who just plays draw spells and counters and sniffs his own farts. Then there's this faggot who won with skred last week.

Mostly it's a bunch of burn, a few tron guys, some tribal, and one mardu... and some kids thay show up with some shitty casual homebrews that just show up to get spanked
>>
File: I am the baddest at magic.png (15 KB, 354x723) Image search: [Google]
I am the baddest at magic.png
15 KB, 354x723
So tell me /tg/ should I try and make homo burn a thing?
>>
>>47703224
Where the fuck is Tribal Flames
>>
>>47698251
I think he means jeskass with a gifts ungiven package so it doesnt get btfo by a negate.
>>
>>47701180
Blue us a trick in modern, look at the cuck everyone.
>>
>>47703224
>Burn
>Dealing with Blood Moon
>Not the one slamming Blood Moon

Friendo....
>>
>>47703879
Yea I did. Also it's more fun to make gifts piles and resurrect fatties.

The deck also has life from the Loam and flame jab as a pseudo infinite
>>
>>47703224
Do it and post results.
>>
>>47704671
The deck is actually greasy. Any gifts with dorks is

Turn 3 gifts
Turn 4 elesh or iona and win
>>
>>47703224
-1 steam vents
-1 blood crypt
-1 sacred foundry
+1 watery grave
+2 mountain or relevant fetch
>>
is a modern wall tribal an achievable thing?
if trump becomes the next president, I want to give it a try just for meme's sake.
give me some Ideas /tg/.
>>
>>47703224
I would also cut a Snapcaster, maybe. With so few land you will have trouble casting your two drops with it.
>>
File: ajani.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
ajani.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
How the fuck do you beat Grixis Delver as Jeskai Control? I don't run memehiri and emracuck combo.
I can post my list if needed.
>>
>>47705304
>Jeskai Control
>I don't run memehiri and emracuck combo.
>Why I lose

I found the problem right away.
>>
>>47705362
Is that really the only out for Grixis delver? There must be another strat other than that.
>>
>>47704830
>if trump becomes the next president
We'll all live in prison camps no matter what country you live in
>>
>>47705421
Are you playing Legacy or something? Grixis Delver isn't a deck in Modern. The only thing Delver could possible have an advantage against, let alone beat in Modern is a "Control" build with literally no wincon.

Oh wait...
>>
>>47705624
>literally no wincon.
I have Collonades, Jace AoT, Gideon Jura, Bolt Snaps Helix.
>>
>>47705687
None of those cards will win the game without being completely undisrupted. You have no way to grind the opponent out or generate your own card advantage.

This is why you're losing to Delver/everything with a plan.
>>
>>47705863
What do you suggest I add to my deck?
>>
>>47705687
Jace is nice with nahoho since his ult is the same.
>>
>>47705941
4x Nahiri
1x Emrakul
>>
File: 1453510413087.jpg (77 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1453510413087.jpg
77 KB, 690x460
>>47706059
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.