[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gurps General /gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Mashup edition
>what was your most successful game where you slapped together two different worlds/themes/settings?
>>
File: IRON GURPS.gif (33 KB, 765x860) Image search: [Google]
IRON GURPS.gif
33 KB, 765x860
Iron GURPS edition, you mean.

Camelot+Old West+Faerie. Gunknights, Six-Shooter Paladins, Seelie Shamans and Unseelie Witchdoctors, and Frontier Justice in the name of the King!
Are YOU brave enough to venture westward, past the Mississippi River, in search for the Holy Grail?
>>
>>47663858
>Stargate + Space1888 = Victorian racist domination as the bad guys!

So I've got an upcoming game here this weekend; what does gurps General think of my "Desperado with a heart of gold"?
>>
How would you handle a meta-trait being universal among a setting? Like say for example, EVERYONE is a robot, and would normally have the Machine meta-trait. Do you just apply the meta-trait to literally everyone, or is there a better way to do this?
>>
>>47666081
They have it if they have it, plain and simple. If I'm writing a setting where everyone can fly, everyone will have Flight.

My guess is that you're worrying about point costs. Don't. Point costs don't matter for NPCs, and if you don't want the "steal" some of the PC's starting budget with mandatory metatrait packages, then make them free/give them extra points equal to the metatrait cost.
>>
I'm looking for a ruleset for GMing a sci-fi setting with several races and some sort of sci-fi magic (think SW or ME). GURPS seems to have tools for creating a lot of different stuff and keeping it all together. (And I know I have to limit my player options when crating their PCs.)

I was browsing the different titles of the 4th ed, and I already have an idea of what books could help me. I'm already reading the manuals and the "how to GM". What I want to know and i can't find in the internet is:

>How does the game feel when its played with several optional rules?
>Are the rules hard to grasp/teach or slow to use?
>How lethal or gritty is the game by default?
>>
>>47666438
Thanks, I was worrying that I was overthinking this
>>
>>47666587
Overthinking things is the #1 issue with GURPS GMs (I'd say it's about #3 when GMing other systems, but the amount of options in GURPS boosts it to #1). Have you flipped through How to be a GURPS GM?

>>47666475
1) Don't use optional rules the first time around, unless they're super simple or simplify the game overall and/or are vital for the setting or tone. As for how it feels, there are a lot of directions optional rules can take the system; you can make the game grittier or more heroic/cinematic, more detailed or faster to play, etc. I've had fun with a fast n' loose dungeon crawl, a grimdark hyperdetailed dark fantasy setting, and a not!Firefly sci-fi game. All three felt distinct to me at least; the first game was very beer and pretzels, the second was very very tense, and the third was a happy medium some cool action scenes.

2) Not really. The only issue is that there's a LOT of them. On the plus side, you'll only every use 40-60% in most games, but that's still stuff you have to sift through when still learning the system. Play smart and keep the realistic optional rules turned off and there shouldn't be any big hangups.

3) "Heroic realism" is the term bandied about by the devs. There are minor concessions here and there for the sake or drama or playability, but by and large the system defaults to a fairly realistic approach; a bullet or knife to the chest will take you out most of the time, numbers really do matter and getting swarmed is a real threat, and ambushes are the safest approach to combat. Compared to most systems, especially the ever-popular D&D, GURPS will feel ultra grim and gritty by default.
>>
>>47666931
>Have you flipped through How to be a GURPS GM?
Not really, but I can right now
>>
Gurps.
>>
File: 1443291904111.jpg (242 KB, 1048x734) Image search: [Google]
1443291904111.jpg
242 KB, 1048x734
>>47664838
apparently, no glaring flaws in my build. Good to see, I guess.

Watching Hell On Wheels to get myself in the right mindset. (Might be too grim and dark, but meh)
>>
>>47664838
>>47667501

You aren't trash, but some thoughts..

High Pain Threshold is limited use when you have modest HP and low HT. The points would better be spent on getting more HT. You want to aim for a Basic Speed of 6 if you can, it's very useful for defense and going first, where one good shot might end things.

Luck (Active) is SO MUCH LESS USEFUL then Luck (Defensive). You might have your reasons, but if you don't then switching this out makes you much more survivable.
>>
>>47667890
Hmm, all good points
Hows this look then?
Lower overall skill levels, but higher speed and such
>>
File: 936full-nadia-esra.jpg (393 KB, 936x831) Image search: [Google]
936full-nadia-esra.jpg
393 KB, 936x831
>>47667987
>>47667501
>>47667890

Defensive luck makes a hell of a lot more sense then active luck with being a shitty gambler too. Your luck will save your ass but it won't help you win at cards.

Better. That guy should survive most encounters pretty well if you don't do anything too stupid.

You are also a tiny ginger.
>>
I will be DM-ing this game for the first time soon, a sort of realistic Sci-fi with limited Psi powers later on. One of my players wants to take super luck, and I was wondering if its extremely broken or not. I was planning to limit to regular luck, but the point cost seems high enough that it might not be that bad (We are in 100 pt game with -50 disadv so 60 points is a good chunk)
>>
>>47668066
Thursday inaugural game is a drinking camping weekend; I tend to get an accent when full of good beer.
>>
>>47668156
It eating up roughly half his points is not a point in its favor; he'll be a severely underpowered character that can once per hour dictate how the dice will roll. Outside of his gimmick, he's a green recruit in a party a seasoned badasses, and that gimmick of his is not enough to bridge the power gap. If he wants to play "stupid-lucky rookie" (which sounds like a fun concept mind you), 60 points of regular Luck will be a much better investment.

This isn't even starting on how Super Luck is more like godlike control than anything close to actual luck. If you allow it at all, it should be a psi power.
>>
>>47668156
Are you me?

>>47666931
Thanks for the data. Optional rules for simulacionist combat don't call my atention at all. What I want is diversity in characters and their equipment.

What I have in mind is predefined templates for quick character creation (races and professions), varied equipment (arms and enhancements, some vehicles to drive) but only basic equipment at the start, and a little bit of powers, (like the Biotics in ME or the force) maybe not to powerful.

I see several books about powers (magical, superhero, psionic, cock-magic, etc).

>What are the best and most simple rules for adding some predefined powers to the characters? (Pulls, lifts, levitation, biotic slams, a mind trick or two, like ME or SW do)

Also, my plan is to have a prewritten setting listing all the available stuff and a resume of the important rules and the pages where they are, to make consulting the books quicker.

>>47668393
This is pretty insightful.
>>
>>47668156
The a look at the gunman just a few posts up; he takes luck as well, but makes it active/defensive. Saves an ass load of points, and still has power.
>>
>>47668393
Sorry, when I said super luck I think he meant he was maxing out regular luck. Messed up the jargon.
>>
File: BT.jpg (536 KB, 1132x1600) Image search: [Google]
BT.jpg
536 KB, 1132x1600
How much damage/force needs to hit a character for them to get knocked completely down?
>>
>>47670107
ST-2 crushing, and then they need to fail the following DX roll. Comparatively not much less than is required to outright kill. But this is damage; assuming you DR a bunch away you can still end up on your ass.

Its easier to cripple a leg or foot first, really.
>>
>>47668428
80% of Psionic Powers is a list of pre-made abilities broken up by theme (psychokinesis, telepathy, teleportation, even odder ones like anti-psi, psychic healing, etc.). Pick what you like and Copy+Paste into a word doc for your players to look through.

There's a Template Toolkit PDF dedicated to helping GM's make balanced and flavorful occupational templates (classes in other words) that are neither unfocussed nor too narrow. Racial templates don't have the same, but I'm a big fan of Space's random (or semi-random if you prefer) alien generator; at the end, it spits out a racial template you can use in your games.

As for arms, armor, and vehicles, Basic Set is a very good starting place. Ultra-Tech has a LOT of stuff, and while BS may be too streamlined for a full campaign, its straightforward apprach will save a lot of time in the beginning -- compare flipping through pages upon pages of weapon stats trying to decide on what flavor of laser rifle you want to take to looking at the three to four ultratech firearm options in the BS and going "I guess I'll take that one."
>>
>>47670231
>>47670107
Keep in mind that any Major Wound (crippled limb or > 1/2HP in a single hit) can knock you down and stun you, with an HT roll to resist. Getting knocked out this way sucks.
>>
i am new to gurps and was recommended gurps Lite. I had a question, when it shows the rules about standing, crouching, kneeling, and laying down. It looks like you get a penalty to attacking when in these positions. But in my mind, I always thought that knealing or sitting with a firearm would give you a bonus to shooting? Am I just misreading the table?
>>
>>47670727
You are. Those penalties are for melee attacks. Ranged/firearms aren't penalized. Check basic campaigns for the table at the end.
>>
>>47670758
thanks, that makes more sense.
>>
>>47670391
Thanks. Now I know what to do.
>>
>>47670791
Different Anon, I don't think crouching gives you a bonus in GURPS, but it makes you harder to hit or something like that, allowing you to be a little bit safer when aiming.

I think prone counts as bracing, though, so you enjoy a +1 to aimed attacks I think.
>>
File: Sketch72224436.png (800 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Sketch72224436.png
800 KB, 1080x1920
Woo; Irish Desperado is getting a .44 Caplock Remington army!
>>
Hey gurpsfriends!
I'm about to start running Dungeon Fantasy, but I'm using Divine Favor for clerics and holy warriors, and Sorcery for Wizards, etc.

Would anyone happen to have or know of any extra Sorcery spell write-ups. The dude playing the Wizard is a noob, so I've got to do most of the legwork when it comes to the actual spells - hence, anything that could save me some time would be handy.
>>
>>47673431
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=137400

SJGames forums are an amazing resource and should be exploited heavily by anyone playing or running GURPS.
>>
>>47673480
>>47673431
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZMxIQFybFO1UlQSLgqAA_MxpuBzub0rmeHNSTGJRCKo/edit#gid=207443400

And I somehow forgot to include the second link in my post. Here you go.
>>
>>47673480
Thanks for the help friend! Much appreciated!
>>
File: dank memes.jpg (217 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
dank memes.jpg
217 KB, 760x596
>>
>>47663858
>>
>>47673431
>>47673480
>>47673497
Best part is that since both Sorcery and Divine Favor use advantages as a base, that list of sorcery spells will help you quickly eyeball what level of reaction is required for a miracle.
>>
Why isn't Absolute Timing an Exotic advantage? Are there really people who can remember time so accurately irl?
>>
>>47679231
Kinda. Like photographic memory it's not really a thing but people believe in it
>>
>>47679231
>>47679460
Eidetic memory is actually a thing, you know.
>>
Can someone post GURPS Fantasy and/or Supers for the "inspirations/how to run" portions?
>>
>>47679984
Nevermind, I found the appropriate /tg/ thread. I really really apologise for being such a fucking newfag and for wasting everyone's time. I'm gonna go eat spicy lasagna with my eyelids.
>>
>>47680038
Use the op. It has a link for the drive, yo.
>>
>>47679798
Some people have very good memory, but it's generally the result of mnemonic devices. Eidetic memory hasn't been proven and even people that claim to have it tend to remember minor details wrong and can't recall abstract unfamiliar patterns (writing in a lanauge they don't understand, for example.)
>>
How many times can you parry in one round?
How many times can you block in one round?
>>
>>47681412
Indefinite, I believe, as long as you're facing the target and the weapon hand or shield hand is also facing the direction of the attack
>>
>>47681446
It does tack on penalties with each successive attempt though. -3 for Parry and -5 for Block, I believe. The block thing is actually not the default as you only get 1 Block using the basic rules.
>>
>>47681412
I think one time, and you can't even parry if you attacked with a unbalanced weapon. Others have mentioned rules I have not read. (Dodge is unlimited)
>>
File: blackjack and hookers.png (1 MB, 698x522) Image search: [Google]
blackjack and hookers.png
1 MB, 698x522
So, I recently started playing the original Fallouts, 1 and 2, and this is the first thing that popped on my head
>>
File: crossroads game.jpg (296 KB, 1379x874) Image search: [Google]
crossroads game.jpg
296 KB, 1379x874
>>47663858
This game is on hold for now, but yeah.

I've also got a A-Team/Metal Gear Solid type game featuring Tactical Shooting, Action, The Madness Dossier, and fantasy-type demihumans. Though, in Madness Dossier style, humans were built to be a slave race to one of the others.
>>
I know there's a list in the .pdf, but can you guys think of any other skills every adventurer should have? My list so far is:

Universal:
Acrobatics
Brawling
Grappling
Observation
Throwing
First Aid
Tracking
Hiking
Running
Climbing
Shadowing
Detect Lies

Medieval:
Riding (Equestrian)
Stealth
Diplomacy
Survival (Any)
Fast Draw
Traps/TL3
Intimidate
Swimming
Lockpicking/TL3
Weapon skill of choice
>>
Hey, GURPS-gen, help me out a bit.

What's the function of LMGs GURPS-wise? They're often more heavy than assault rifles, but their accuracy is the same as longer rifles and some rifles have higher ROF, while supporting high capacity magazines and drums. A rifle with 100-rnd drum and 10-13 ROF is almost always superior to same TL LMG.
>>
>>47682307
Are you gonna storytime us in your pic or will you leave us hanging?
>>
File: 1446239922612.jpg (30 KB, 232x254) Image search: [Google]
1446239922612.jpg
30 KB, 232x254
>>47682313
Knife is near-universal.

>>47682352
I'm at work, so I'm probably gonna leave you hanging.

Suffice to say in their 3 or so missions so far Team Hero has managed to cause far, far more trouble than anyone thought they could, and will probably give their overseer several ulcers.

Pic very much related. I think my favorite moment is just the fantasy swedish mercenaries they dragged home, who now are learning about guns and RPGs and suchlike.
>>
>>47682349
More suppressive fire?
>>
>>47681412
>>47681446
>>47681577
>>47681724
Lite: One parry and one block per round.

Basic Set:
>Parry: Parry at a cumulative -4 parry after the first (-4 for the second, -8 for the third, etc.). Fencing weapons, TBAM, or WM reduce the penalty to -2, or to -1 if you have both a fencing weapon and TBAM/WM.
>Block: May only block once.

Martial Arts:
>Parry: Two-Handed weapons (ready Polearm, Spear, Staff, or Two-Handed Sword at least two yards at length and wielded in two hands) parry at a cumulative -2 after the first, -1 for WM (or TBAM, not explicitly stated).
>Block: Block at a cumulative -5 after the first, halve for Weapon Master in the 'negative direction' (away from 0), i.e. -3, -5, -8.
>>
>>47682349
LMGs are designed for sustained automatic fire, assault rifles aren't.

See sustained fire in High-Tech
>>
>>47682349
Away from my books at the moment, so all I can do is guess as to why, but there may be a couple things.

-What's the LMG's average recoil? Is it better than assault rifles?
-Don't LMG's often sport larger calibers? That could be a reason to pick one over the more portable assault rifle.
-If you use the optional rules for overheating, do LMGs have something that would make them sturdier?
-LMGs may come standard with bipods/mount points that lighter firearms lack; they're meant to be used situationally, but in that situation (e.g. laying prone and providing cover fire over No Man's Land, or firing from the back of an APC where the gun can be mounted) they'll likely come out ahead.

If all else fails, blame reality. Even when equipping soldiers for war, people aren't 100% logical minmaxers, or circumstances such as restricted trade or the crummy company landing a government contract may cause objectively inferior equipment to become popular; GURPS carries these quirks over to the tabletop.
>>
What are the best supplements for dark fantasy?
>>
>>47682573
Can't say that's true. Some rifles have equal or superior ROF to most common MGs, and with drum mags you end up at same or similar shot count.
>>47682739
-For full sized rifles, recoil is 2 or 3. For LMGs, recoil is 2.
-Average western LMG uses 7.62x51, same caliber as M14, G3 and FN FAL, all capable of automatic fire.
-Maybe, but they're optional and rarely come into play.
-Often a rifle with drum mag is half the weight of comparable LMG, cheaper too, that means spare cash can be used to purchase bipods and scopes, something not all LMGs can mount but most rifles can.

Looking over it in detail myself, it appears that such conversions are superior in all aspects but recoil. For 7.62x51 rifle recoil is 3, while LMG is recoil 2.

This advantage disappears when you compare recoil 2 M249 SAW with Recoil 2 M16, but in that case M16 conversion accepts 100 rnd drum against M249's 200 rnd belt box.
>>
Anyone know of any fun solo campaigns to play to get used to the system?
>>
>>47681791
That's...kind of what happened.
>>
>>47683557
>>47682739
Comparison of 5.56 chambered Squad Automatic Weapons (SAWs), M249(Minimi) and M16+Drum mag.
>>
>>47683681
I know, that's why it popped up in my mind instantly. SPECIAL works almost identically to GURPS.
>>
>>47682313
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148
>>
>>47682313
>Brawling
Meh. If you are willing to rise it higher than DX, you probably can take a proper fighting skill as well, unless it against character concept.
Better just say "any unarmed combat skill".
>Tracking
For everyone? Why?
>Hiking
Very campaign depended, same with Riding and Driving.
>Detect Lies
I wouldn't say it suits everyone. It's very special skill that requires very special training, it's not just common sense. Body Language is better for that purpose.

>Diplomacy
>Intimidate
Meh. You might as well say that every adventurer has to have Broadsword skill because muh stereotypes.
>Traps
>Lockpicking
Again, I don't see why everyone should have them.

I'd say a few points in Merchant for general trading knowledge, if applicable.
>>
>>47683682
>>47683557
The difference is that you can actually fire the entire contents of your magazine with an LMG in less under a minute without suffering an acc and malf penalty.
>>
>>47681165
Eidetic memory explicitly precludes the use of mnemonic devices.

The jury is still out on the existence of eidetic memory. Any claim one way or the other is spurious.
>>
>>47685709
Well, an extraordinary claim without proof is generally considered false. You don't prove a negative.
>>
>>47685465
>>47683682
Not every game gets crunchy enough for it to matter that much, but yeah, that's correct. An LMG has a much heavier barrel and can change the barrel. The M-16 can sustain a rate of fire of 10 rounds per minute.
>>
I know GURPS is a great game that's fairly popular, but to this day I can't help but wonder how people reacted to it when it first came out.

The thing's called GURPS for fucks sake, who even thought of putting money towards it until hearing from other people if it was good or not?
>>
>>47687122
>10 rounds per minute
That's fucking silly, man. On burst fire setting that's literally 3 pulls of trigger per minute. Don't talk shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5cQCkwwt0

Does this look like they fire only "10 rounds per minute"?
>>
>>47687387
As in " doesn't overly wear out the barrel," or were you not following the conversation? Guns get stupidly hot when firing, which can fuck up the barrel something fierce. It's not the same as RoF.
>>
>>47687454
GURPS High Tech lists Rifles suffering from issues if you fire more than 100 shots in under a minute, ten times more than you suggested. This number is multiplied by 1.5 for TL8, 1.25 for nicely maintained rifle (aka M16A3/M16A4 and M4). In comparison, MGs at average require 200 shots to suffer consequences.

Thus, an M16A3 would need to fire 13-14 13 ROF shots to start suffering malfunction. While it is only half of MG's resource, it can still be used to reliably gun down human beings/suppress them long enough for assault team to flank them.
>>
>>47687599
M-16 is listed as having a sustained rate of fire of around 13/minute, though that value factors in aim and reload time along with recommended cooling periods to avoid fouling.
>>
>>47687648
Listed where? GURPS ROF stat says that 13 is maximum number of shots the weapon can fire per 1 turn (1 second).
>>
>>47687691
Quick wiki search; not the most accurate info, but I'm a gun pleb.
>>
>>47687387
The weapon has a cyclic rate of 600-900 rounds per minute, adjustable via the gas regulator. and ammunition used.

It has a sustained rate of fire of 10-15 rounds per minute, as a higher rate of fire generates heat faster then the barrel can cool.

>>47687648
>>47687691

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

It depends a lot on the barrel selected.
>>
I had a super fun real life session. So happy. c:
>>
I'm planning out my second campaign in GURPS, we were using the Time Use Sheet for gaining new skills and advantages. But this campaign is going to involve a lot more traveling around, and I don't feel like it will work out in this one.

The "Improvement Through Adventure" states that another way to achieve character advancement is to award players with bonus points at the end of every session, but I don't know how many would be a good amount to give out. What would be a good number to give out if I wanted to have advancement be steady, but not too fast or too slow?
>>
>>47688902
1 to 3 usually.
>>
>>47687067
It's not "generally considered false," because that's just an assumption. Being (highly) skeptical of something is not the same as assuming it's wrong, and assuming it's wrong is not the same as -proving- it's wrong. Has nothing to do with proving negatives.

"We don't know." is not the same as "No."
>>
>>47688902
It depends how rapid you want progression to be.

1-5 is sensible. More than that and dudes will be getting mad powerful very fast.
>>
>>47688902
I usually give put around 4-5 per session/adventure (depending on length, if the players faff about for 4 hours they get nothing, if they break down doors, solve puzzles, fight loads of enemies, etc., then they get the full 5), and usually say they can put up to 2 points into a skill they used a lot, or 1 point into another skill they didn't use or don't have. The overall thing is to play it by ear, and do what seems reasonable. It might not be super realistic, and I'll change approaches depending on the game type, but it seems to work.

Also, you can give them other rewards in lieu of points - allies, contacts, favours, signature gear, the odd perk. All those sort of things really help make the game special and break away from an obvious "grind".
>>
>>47688845
After action report?
>>
>>47691727
Going to put it together later today, nothing outstanding happened, but the players were new, and there wasn't any outstandingly frustrating repeating the explanation of the rules seventeen times.
>>
>>47693572
Oh brilliant! Always nice to see a new group mesh well and no rules confusions.
>>
I really want to do a Fallout pnp game, is that one Sawyer worked on any good?
>>
>>47694030
I haven't seen it
Lucky for you, the most recent issues of pyramid have articles for making a gurps-fallout world. "After the end" has mutations, scavenging rules, and other fun stuff all premade for you.
>>
Any sign of the latest DF book?
>>
File: 1447434709025.jpg (57 KB, 655x605) Image search: [Google]
1447434709025.jpg
57 KB, 655x605
I GET TO PLAY THIS WEEKEND
THANK GOD
NO LONGER FOREVER GM
>>
>>47696656
I wish I had your luck.
>>
Can somebody explain to me how to do a treasure hoard? I read the Dungeon Fantasy book about it but I didn't understood you.
>>
>>47696919
Too bad! I spent my points wisely with a -80% (gurps game availability only) modifier on Super luck!
>>
>>47696997
You *can* use DF8 to make a bunch of items at random, but that can take a long time.
You *can* use this calculator which is supposedly a correct implementation of DF8 to create a bunch of items really fast:
http://www.gurpscalculator.com/Generators/Treasure
But somehow, I feel wary of how well it's written because I seem to get a lot of similar things... maybe just my luck?
I think there is an equation on p. 13 for calculating the dollar values of mundane loot from monsters, but that is probably not what you want.

I was thinking of trying to make a CER correlation to treasure tables, something like, "If a monster has CER x, he qualifies for an item on the a,b, or c tables, and up to j enchantments and k embellishments."
>>
File: GURPS 23.png (44 KB, 495x308) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 23.png
44 KB, 495x308
>>
>>47699441
DELETE THIS!
>>
I understand how called shots work and hit modifiers, but what is the benefit to hitting someone in the head, foot, etc? If there is extra damage, how much extra damage is dealt? Are there damage multipliers?
>>
>>47699755
Skull has an x4 wounding multiplier, meaning any damage to the skull gets multiplied by 4 (this replaces the normal wounding modifiers for things like cutting, impaling, etc.). Face hits have a penalty to knockdowns on a major roll, damaging an eye enough blinds them, etc.

Attacking someone in the foot and causing a major wound to cripple it gives them Lame (Crippled Legs) - actually just read the combat chapters and the injuries, illness, and fatigue chapter. All of your questions are answered there.
>>
>>47699814
Additionally, some areas may have more or less armor.
>>
>>47699755
See B398-399.
>>
I know the basic set version of magic isn't very popular, but I like it, and I'm considering how to implement it in a fantasy campaign.

I'm thinking of saying the defaults for the setting are normal mana, except for high mana for non-enchantment ceremonial magic. So magery is needed to cast spells quickly/on your own, but non-mages can cast a fair number of spells if they know them, take their time, and have assistants.

Does that sound reasonable?
>>
>>47701768
All you can do is try it and find out if it is fun. c:
I never have players trying to do hardcore enchantment or ceremonies regardless of the system being used, so I wouldn't know! Know that whatever setting wide flags you toggle, of course, affect the players and their adversaries equally.
>>
How would you price Enhanced Dodge (Sacrificial Dodges Only)? Would -60% be fair?
>>
>>47702211
Personally I would go as far as -80%; it's an advantage that only makes you better at getting hit.

However, I don't think -60% is too bad either. It's a nice conservative pricing.
>>
>>47663858
>what was your most successful game where you slapped together two different worlds/themes/settings?
It wasn't GURPS, and it was more than 2, but it was primarily two.

Stargate + Star Wars
With additional races and ideas drawn from Farscape, Mass Effect, and Halo, and some plot ideas and character personalities drawn from FFT and Breath of Fire IV.

Ran it in the FFG Star Wars system, with some homebrewed weapons and vehicles, and primarily homebrewed races; and no Jedi or Sith (Minor Star Wars Faction only).

It went pretty well at first. Party made a bunch of Droids, except for my at the time GF, who made an Arkanian Offshoot. They dubbed her an honorary droid (AOs were genetically engineered for manual labour).

They were dealing with a succession war in a galactic empire (FFT Plot Elements). An ancient power awakened and was building forces to try to reconquer the galaxy (BOF4), but was doing so largely behind the scenes (FFT).

And very quickly, the plot took on an additional droid liberation army slant, which was pretty interesting.

Then I moved, something happened to all my notes, our group took a 6 month hiatus, and it just got dropped.
>>
>>47701768
Ceremonial spells tend to fall somewhere between nonissue and plot device in my games; rarely does a wandering wizard entertain an entourage large enough to help with ceremonial casting, so casting that way isn't really an option, leaving ceremonial magic purely in the hands of NPCs, either master enchanters or enemy cult leaders.

Don't forget to check out Dungeon Fantasy if you haven't already; its list of changes to the spell list help remove or resolve most mechanical issues with the system and avoid game breaking or he ache enducing spells.
>>
because gurps can have genre mixing in campaigns, has anyone here run a kitchen sink setting or something similar where its got fantasy, scifi, and other stuff all mixed together?

or do most people here prefer to stick to one genre at a time?
>>
>>47704738
I have a Sci-Fi campaign where different worlds are in different points in history (or the future). The PC's work with the spacial government to take care of various problems on different types of worlds. So if they visit a medieval world, they can bring a few gadgets, but mostly they want to blend in. Lots of opportunities for each new adventure to feel really unique with the same characters.
>>
>>47704738
I ran an Infinite Worlds/Supers game that ranged from Fantasy to Post-Apocalyptic to Modern-Day Action! stuff. Good times, it's talked about earlier in the thread.

Even in the current tactical espionage action game, I'm throwing in some dungeon fantasy stuff (cat-people, dragon-people, Dire Animals) and Psionic Powers for the hell of it. It's working so far.
>>
>page 10
Wow, I don't even have enough time to make dank meme picture this time.
>>
>>47701768

That sounds fine - in fact, the Technomancer setting does something similar. Anyone can cast in the Manabelt (a High Mana zone created by magical fallout), making it the centre of magical industry.

You might want to check out the Urban Magics supplement, as it goes into various uses of magic in society. Having ceremonial magic be possible for non-mages would make it much more prevalent.
>>
>>47704311
>Don't forget to check out Dungeon Fantasy if you haven't already
Which book from the Dungeon Fantasy line? There are like 18 entries.
>>
>>47708095
DF 1 - Adventurers sorts spells by class, and puts limits on who should be able to cast what. Wizards get all the blasty and defensive stuff, Druids get all the nature stuff, clerics get all the healing, buffing, and Undead/demon slaying stuff.

Thaumatology: Magical Styles shows how to sort spells into Martial Arts style Styles.
Thaumatology: Magical Styles - Dungeon Magic gives you seven of these styles, each designed around classic sword and sorcery magical college themes. Each college/style gets a bunch of new "secret spells" that only members have access to. There's also heaps of cool perks for Wizards in there.

One of the issues of Pyramid (I can't recall which, perhaps another gurpsfriend could tell you) has a better refined list of spells by class, and points out explicitly which are forbidden and why.
>>
>>47693989
Here's the recap if you still want it, pretty mundane though.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/06/session-capture-bad-company-session-0.html
>>
>>47708287
I think the pyramid article you might be talking about is the one in issue 3/60, "Wizardry Refined" which has a few balance tweaks to spells, a few forbidden spells, and an adjusted tree that is more appropriate for Dungeon Fantasy wizards.
>>
>>47708491
Oh are we just linking blogs now?
Kendelyzer.WordPress.com
>>
>>47708731
The guy asked earlier for a story time, but I post it on my blog, and thought, "Why copy paste over several posts when I can just link it?"

That said, Douglas Cole, the author of a bunch of GURPS books is trying to make an index of blogs with GURPS content
http://gamingballistic.blogspot.com/p/gurps-day.html
There's no special rules except that you sometimes post about GURPS, and tag your GURPS post with #GURPS, and I don't think I've seen your blog on the blog roll yet.
>>
>>47708859
Joining up!
Thank you sir!
>>
>>47708880
Just read your first session, sounds like you got a really good party on your hands. I've got:
* one player (The Bunny Samurai) that is getting really into the role playing (and roll playing) in equal measure
* two shy players (Cassana the healer and Elizabeth the survivalist/support) that at least are doing a good job of keeping the party alive, fed, and well rested, but having trouble getting into the swing of their characters and
* one that I expect good things from (Xelin the wizard), but at least has a good system mastery and seems to be playing creatively if not taking a bit to get into character.

Also have two potential players adding to that, one that I've played with before who does really good at the game and the role playing, and one guy who is the boyfriend of my girlfriend's girlfriend, she invited them over the house, and somehow we got into RPG talk, and he sounded like someone who would make a really good player, and he's excited about it, though he's never played GURPS.
>>
>>47708859

GURPS Day is probably the biggest thing in the GURPS community for a while. I basically started a GURPS blog because of it.
>>
>>47709051
I enjoy the weekly updates. I coincidentally started my blog just a bit before GURPS Day as a place to hold notes on the concepts I found difficult, and because I started getting into an obsessive trip on statting out monsters and Sorcery spells.
>>
>>47708990
Thank you! I was quite lucky to have recruited on 4chan and not exclusively received autists.

Though to be fair, we're gurps players, so we're better than most people.
>>
File: 1446412126930-1.jpg (45 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1446412126930-1.jpg
45 KB, 240x180
>>47708859
What's a good platform for participating in this? I could probably benefit from a good blogging platform instead of google drive for note-keeping, get all my thoughts for GURPS Macross more in order.

I've been getting more and more annoyed with the sheer amount of RAM google drive likes to eat up, so...
>>
>>47709348
WordPress treats me well
Simple ish interface, handles basic text with picture inserts. Nice simple markup formats. Nice simple image uploading.
Also: FREE
>>
Is it ever worth mixing in unarmed strikes between two (or more!) combatants armed with melee weapons bigger than a knife? You see/read about swordsmen kicking other swordsmen fairly often in fiction or pummeling them with the hilt/pommel, but this is seemingly too risky a maneuver with the standard combat rules (you are far too likely to lose a limb or at *least* severely injure it in the process via a retributive parry).
>>
>>47709455
I'm a big fan of abusing "swing with my sword, he parries me, then I face punch him and he doesn't risk the second parry at penalties"

But you're right, the simulation of gurps is slightly off in this respect.
>>
>>47709455
Reach 1+ weapons suffer penalties when used in C range.
Pommel strikes, elbows, and fists are Reach C.
>>
>>47709493
So you attack twice in a round?
>>
>>47709570
All out, double dude
>>
>>47709493
That sounds more like a Set-Up Attack (basically a Deceptive Attack, but the benefit applies to a later attack) with a combo/AOA Double/Rapid Strike.

Also, "risk"? What risk? Failing a parry with penalties is the same as choosing to not roll or failing an unpenalized parry: you get fucking hit. Why would he not roll at a penalty, or do some other defense like dodge?
>>
>>47709665
Ever critical fail a defense? It gives the attacker a critical hit dude.
>>
>>47709582
Enjoy you ass ripped at the next turn.
>>
>>47709799
You're right, I forgot about crit failures on rolls 10+ above target skill. Still, that still doesn't answer why he just takes it rather than dodging.

Or do you mean he dodges rather than risking a parry crit fail, meaning you're safe from having your hand parried by a sword?
>>
>>47709935
>safe from having your hand parried by a sword
Exactly the intent
>>
File: clone_empire.png (1 MB, 1165x1514) Image search: [Google]
clone_empire.png
1 MB, 1165x1514
Has anyone here played this setting?
>>
>>47711818
On the list of my top GURPS books, biotechnology unfortunately rounds out he end of the list.

But not because of hate! Only indifference. I read through the and issued a resounding "meh" at the end.
>>
>>47711161
In that case, your decision to use a fist over a second sword strike still has its benefits; by stepping into C range and giving him what for, you're applying pressure on him and making him spend his Step giving ground lest he suffer penalties for using a Reach 1 sword in CC. That limits his mobility and options, and will eventually force his back against the wall (no more retreats).

I do think that modeling it as a Combination/Rapid Strike or DWA is the more sane option compared to AOA Double.
>>
>>47712744
>Combination/Rapid Strike or DWA is the more sane option
Noted; I agree
>>
Okay /gurps/, how many steps do you get during a round of combat?

>I have Speed 6, other guy has Speed 5
>I step and attack during my turn, whiff/he succeeds on defense/what have you
>He attacks me, succeeds on his roll
>I retreat (take a step back) to boost my defenses.
>Next turn, step in again to attack.

Or do you only get one step per round?
>>
>>47713335
You get one step
You can use it to move 1 hex, or to retreat (etc.) But not both!
You get it back at the start of your turn.

Fun fact? If your move is high enough for more hexes? You can do multiple 1 hexes steps/moves/retreats
>>
>>47713399
Interesting, I didn't know there was a specific answer to this question, I always allowed one retreat a turn, and one step a turn (provided it was a maneuver that allows a step,) is there a reference that says specifically?
>>
>>47713430
Not together in one place; but reading the separate entries it all pieces together

(Thanks gurps formatting)
>>
>>47713472
I'll take your word for it then.
>>
>>47713399
No, you get a retreat unless you choose a maneuver which specifically doesn't allow one (Committed Attack or Move and Attack don't for sure.) It doesn't matter if you Step on your turn or not.
>>
>>47713399
>>47713913
>In essence, the Basic Set allows a yard (not a movement point) of offensive movement, the step, and a yard (not a movement point) of defensive movement, the retreat, in addition to other activity. This is a fudge for hexes being a yard wide and the possibility of a fighter being at the "edge" of his hex or otherwise not completely centered.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=376546&postcount=9 Word of Kromm (Sean Punch, dude responsible for most GURPS rulings) says you get a step and a retreat.
>>
>>47708636
That's it!
>>
Does social stigma stack? like monstrous and barbarian/uneducated social stigma
>>
>>47716289
I think you only take the biggest one; if you're considered a kill-on-sight monster, your lack of education or foreign nationality really pales in comparison.
>>
>>47716289
>>47716488

They can stack in some cases. The text gives the example of someone who dropped out of highschool, got involved in gangs and ended up in prison having both Uneducated and Criminal. A black slave might have Second-Class Citizen and Valuable Property. Some of them should be mutually exclusive though, like Barbarian/Uneducated or Monster/pretty much anything else.
>>
>>47714286
Well fuck, that's simpler then innit?
>>
>>47716992
Simpler, sure. No idea why that isn't in Basic.

Now, how do you feel this impacts the game? Having to save your step for retreats makes reach suddenly a lot more important, and makes certain retreats, like slips from Martial Arts where you move towards the person attacking you, more important in combat. However, it also means defending becomes a lot harder if you want to close the distance, or get close enough to do something like grappling. What do you guys think? Steps and Retreats are separate and reach occupies a less vital role, or Steps and Retreats are the same, and you have to choose whether to advance or be on the defensive?

Unrelated question to that - do you round up or down for All Out maneuvers and movement? I know the book says to round down for feats and combat shit (B8, I believe), but it seems like if you can move half a yard, you'd be able to move an entire hex?
>>
File: 1438230549885.jpg (42 KB, 512x682) Image search: [Google]
1438230549885.jpg
42 KB, 512x682
>>47718757
IIRC, you don'w round down under one yard, so you can at least move one hex if you are down to Move 1 when you use an All Out to get to go half your Move.

Man, that's a bad situation. Can happen if you use heavy armor and take damage though.
>>
>>47718757
I like the idea of making Steps and Retreats share the distance, as it stops fights from having that "bounce" of step-retreat-repeat and makes giving ground in a retreat that much more painful.
>>
How do I add enhancements to spells in GCS
>>
>>47714286
>>47716992
>>47718757

Y'all, it says in the answer there "and," not "or." You get both a Step and a Retreat on your turn unless the maneuver listed says you don't.
>>
how high should be the points of a common soldier? and a rank 1/2 officer?
>>
If I want to play a sci-fi (mostly going for robots) what would be good gurps suplements? trying to keep it rules light
>>
>>47723568

At a minimum I would recommend just Ultra-tech
GURPS Space would be handy if you want idea's about building the setting.
>>
>>47722613
Yeah, I know. I was asking if it made for better play to have retreats also be steps instead of a separate thing. I feel like it would make combat too deadly in one on one because retreat's all you get without taking all-out defenses.
>>
>>47723560
Common soldier would fall into normal every character range, or maybe a bit higher. 50 to 75 maybe?
>>
>>47722308
If you're using the standard magic system, spells are skills, so you can't add enhancements or limitations.
>>
>>47709665

How about the Extra Attack Advantage? It reads like an incentive to add some unarmed strikes to one's combat movesets.
>>
>>47724109
There is a system for it actually, in Thaumatology, I think. It's under adjustable spells on p.39.

It's really expensive energy wise though.
>>
New to GURPS here. What motivation is there to block attacks instead of dodging or parrying them? Parrying goes up with weapon skill, and dodging just seems like it's better than every other defense type.
>>
>>47726106
Shields can give a huge bonus to all active defenses, so if you have one, everything else is better, and if you have one, why not try to be competent with it as well?
>>
>>47726106
You can block things you can't parry, such as ranged attacks. Also, IIRC, Shield is (E), making it a touch better than most weapon skills for how many points you're investing; you should be investing in Shield anyway if you plan on carrying it, if for no other reason than shield rushes are a thing of beauty and terror and you're toting a shield around already.

However, at the end of the day, Block won't be your main defense against most attacks, as your weapon skill will likely exceed your Shield skill. However, when beset by multiple attacks, Block will still see use; -5 per additional Parry is brutal, so you'll probably want to Block the second hit and then go to Dodge.

Speaking of which, you're right that Dodge *is* god-tier, but it's expensive to raise (especially if the GM isn't allowing the Enhabced Defense advantages) and will likely be your lowest defense.

>tl;dr Block has its uses, but most times it sees play is when you've already used your Parry or when Parry isn't applicable.
>>
>>47723975
I tried it back during the 3rd Edition days, and none of the player liked it so we canned it after a couple of sessions. It messes with the flow of combat too much.
>>
>>47726245
An illustration:

>BS 5, Shield-10, Broadsword-10
>Dodge 8, Block 8, Parry 8 (before shield bonus)
Your basic fantasy military grunt; the weapon skill might chance, but this is basically your common fight-guy, be that in the form of town guard, orc thug, or what have you. Really no reason to not dodge IF you aren't suffering encumbrance penalties, which can be rare if you're toting around armor, a weapon (plus a backup if you're smart), misc gear, loot from an earlier fight, etc.

>BS 6, Shield-14, Broadsword-16
>Dodge 9, Block 10, Parry 11
A reasonable starting adventurer in most campaigns that don't go for 100% historical accuracy. The pattern for a besieged adventurer being swarmed by Goblins is Parry (11) -> Block (10) -> Dodge (9) -> Dodge (9) etc. Remember that, due to the bell curve of 3d6, an 11 is a LOT better than a 9, despite how close the target numbers are.

BS 6, Shield-16, Broadsword-22
Dodge 9, Block 10, Parry-14
A badass veteran adventurer or optimized starting DF Knight. Due to the extreme cost of raising Basic Speed, Dodge will almost always stay at around 9. Meanwhile, Block and Parry will start seeing significant increases. At the given defense values, fighters can start parrying multiple times before reducing their skill to Dodge level or below, such as Parry (14) -> Block (10) -> Parry (10) -> Dodge (9)*. With Weapon Master, you may never have to rely on Dodge when facing melee attacks as penalties for multiple parries are halved; the above character can Parry three times before relying on Block or Dodge.

*I was mistaken earlier when I said it's -5 per extra Parry, it's actually -4.
>>
I'm prepping for an upcoming cyberpunk game, and I want to see if the timeline I've got set up a) wouldn't strain my players' suspension of disbelief too far, b) isn't too convoluted, and c) gives and ample amount of ideas for PC motivations/goals/personal histories. The worldbuilding thread didn't respond to it, so since it's for a GURPS game, I'll throw it out here.

1/2

>Following a devastating economic crash, the United States government passed the Exclusive Special Economic Zone Act, which designated areas across the country as operating under a different set of business and trade laws. Each ESEZ was granted to a different corporate entity, who exclusively could operate inside the territory and enjoy extremely lax taxation and nearly nonexistent regulation.

>The military build up on the Sino-Indian border eventually erupted into an all-out war between the two powers; while the mechanized Chinese forces quickly defeated the mostly-infantry Indian forces, Indian guerrilla fighters dealt an ultimately fatal blow to China via the use of radiological bombs in its key cities, ports, and military bases; the “móusha zhōu,” or “Week of Murder,” as it came to be known, effectively removed China from the world stage and triggered the mass wave of Chinese refugees towards the Asian Peninsula, Japan, and America.

>Over the next seven years, the Asian immigrant population in America skyrocketed. This flood of refugees into the western United States ended up jumpstarting the economy as they became a source of exceptionally cheap labor. However, while many refugees were desperate for work, a significant number of young refugees felt exploited by the corporations and frustrated with their current position, especially as the years dragged on and their lives failed to improve. Eventually, this frustration turned to demonstrations, which quickly became violent.
>>
2/2

>With the wealth being concentrated in the few companies granted ESEZs, the political clout of a handful of major companies jumped up almost overnight. ESEZ companies were able to successfully lobby for the Economic Independence Act, which had three major effects:

>Firstly, the ESEZs were made extremely difficult to remove and the benefits were increased; taxed in name only, total freedom from environmental or safety regulations, and workers rights — such as a limit on hours per week, protection for unfair termination, or even minimum wage — were nonexistent. Citing the success of the ESEZs during the refugee crisis, corporate-backed politicians easily argued for an expansion of the ESEZ's powers.

>Secondly, the outbreak of refugee crime an violence within the ESEZ justified the creation and use of heavily armed private security forces that rivaled standing armies in terms of funds, gear, and in some cases even manpower. These corporate security forces, dubbed CorpSec for short, were given full legal enforcement powers withing the boundaries of their employer's ESEZ, including the rights to detain, investigate, and even execute individuals.

>Lastly, ESEZ-possessing companies were given special Sovereign Corporate Entity status, which came with its own host of benefits. As the ESEZs were now nearly independent nations in terms of self-government and nonintervention by the United States, employees of SCEs were to be treated as visiting dignitaries, and offices, distribution centers, or any other SCE-owned building fell under the same rules as any recognized foreign embassy.

>Eventually, fear of refugee violence and a severe lack of faith in local police forces nationwide pulled CorpSec out of the ESEZs and into the public sector, being hired on in by municipalities or even operating for general clients in the form of private investigators, enforcers, bodyguards, and general troubleshooters.
>>
>tl;dr huge Chinatowns, literal corporate overlords, and professional adventuring parties (in the form of small corpsec firms) or adventurers guilds (in larger ones).

Decent enough or back to the drawing board?
>>
10th page bump and shill.
I wrote a rant on quirks because they confuse my players for some reason, and they either choose completely useless ones are so random ones.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/06/fundamental-quirks.html
>>47726765
No opinion
>>
>>47724109
But I want to know how to do it in GCS
>>
>>47729965
>>47724554
You don't do anything in GCS.
You follow the instructions on p.39 of Thaumatology.
You can write it as a technique though in GCS if you like. If you invest character points in the technique it is good for exactly one spell.
>>
>>47728824
FYI I read this earlier on G+, great stuff, really informative read.
>>
>>47730391
I see. Because in GCA, you can do that automatically. Nothing manual about it.
>>
>>47730421
I can't even imagine how, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
>>
>>47728824
>No opinion
Hey, it's a response, and at least it's not bad enough that a casual observer sees something horribly wrong with it. Thanks!
>>
>>47730475
In GURPS Char Assistant, you can add modifiers to everything.
>>
Sweet monkey Jesus. So much mead, so much gaming. Such a good time
>>
Hey guys.

Building my first GURPS char for a game that starts next saturday.

I have my basic concept down, and I've got the character assistant with the datafiles the GM is allowing, but I lack the system mastery to know how to build a character that doesn't suck.

Is someone around who could give me advice?
>>
>>47732591
Post a copy of your character sheet, the concept and whatever description of the campaign there is, and someone will happily/bitterly critique it.
>>
>>47732591
What's the...
-Character concept
-Starting point value
-Setting and/or TL
-Level of cinematicness vs. realism
-Supernatural elements
-Books available/rules in use
>>
How do you handle money in your games? Do you list all prices in GURPS$, or do you convert all prices to gold coins/credits/whatever?
>>
>>47732637
There's an Alternate Rule for money on a Pyramid-3. On the Alternate GURPS.
>>
>>47732637
While it'd be very flavorful to convert everything to silver coins/nuyen/1965 Indian rupees, it practice it's a huge pain in the ass unless you make it super simple like GURP$1 = 1 silver, so most of the time we stick to listed prices and leave actual coinage as a very vague background element.
>>
>>47732637
i use in-universe money, normally that being a per nation coin
>>
>>47732637
I just use GURPS bucks, even moreso, it's been a kinda nebulous attribute rather than a thing (eg, someone has $500 the same way they have 10 HP and 8 FP remaining) but I've been thinking of switching over to at least real money so that the idea of banks, safehouses, the difficulty of transporting thousands of bronze coins, etc. become real issues.

And above and beyond that, potentially exchange rates too if that works out by itself.
>>
>>47732637
In my Fantasy game, $1 is 1 silver. A copper is a penny and 100 is a piece of gold.
>>
>>47732637
I have a space opera game, so I can get away with shit like "credits", and of course 1 Credit = 1 GURPS FunBux.

In-universe it's not an actual currency in and of itself, but rather just sort of an abstraction to facilitate trade when using so many different kinds of currencies, like a standardized metric for exchange rates.
>>
>>47732633
>Game: Infinite Worlds - ISWAT Team.
>Rules Available/In Use:
3e Rules (GM has the books in hard copy and wants to be able to use them).
Simple Combat;
basically any 3e source available for chargen except for the rules on robots.
>250 Pts.
>Everyone needs the ICORPS Template (works out to roughly 55~ pts.)
>TL9
(But I'm from a TL 11 World).
>Supernatural Elements:
Yep
>Character Concept:
Marooned Space Pirate Captain World-Jumper with a fanatical grudge against Centrum, and his former Ship's AI and Databanks inside his body in the form of organic nanites.

Eventually I may want to get a new ship (or start with a busted/unusable ship and repair it later), and find a way to take it with me when we World-Jump.

But no idea how to go about things to do so effectively. Should I come back after I'm done hashing out something that will probably be crap, or do you guys have some pointers to get me started?
>>
>>47733106
>3e
Can't help with that. :c
>>
>>47733155
Are they that different?
>>
>>47704311
Regular spells should be usable as ceremonial spells with as many of you as the casting time multipler. N-times the prerounding drain reduction? Make fumbles and failures matter (safe failure requires another roll to see how much you save?) Double casting time squares the failure chance (ex. 6^3 to 6^6, 1.5x casting time is 15x less failure with 2 castings in the unsafe time for 3.). It could increase effective skill and effect like The Gamer's Spinning Magic Arrows, but the effect is spread over time rather than instant. You could use it to shape a fireball to avoid friendlies and direct everything at the enemy; double damage by directing the side of your fireball coming back at you. Or having time to counter an incoming spell as part of the ceremony. Sounds like Martial Magical Arts should have a Ceremonial "stance" Spells that give automatic counterspells; that mages should use at the start of combat.
>>
>>47733166
The principles are the same, but things have different names, different costs, etc. So a good character with 250 points in one version may be pretty different cost wise to an equivalent in the other.
>>
>>47733166
In large strokes, no, but they're different enough that I can't give detailed optimization tips the way I could if this were a 4e character, and even some of my general advice may be off due to a change in mechanics or pricing.

That being said, I'll give it a shot, just take everything I say with a grain of salt as I'm approaching this with encyclopedic knowledge of 4e but almost no practical experience with 3e.

Try and focus your character's skills on those with universal applicability; as an ex-captain, put more points in Leadership, Fast-Talk, and Intimidation as those are usable everywhere rather than Laser Pistol or Navigation (Space).

Don't sweat the ship stuff too much; (space)ships are already essentially plot devices that move the party from location to location, and universe-jumping spaceships are even more so. What I'm saying is that it'll be a GM-fiat thing more likely than not, so don't sink too many points into getting a ship right off the bat.

As a pirate, it's natural that you'll have issues with ISWAT's authority, but don't let this claim too much of the spotlight; everyone's there to play together, not watch you argue in-character. Same with your Centrum grudge.
>>
>>47733522
Ah. Gotcha. Well, I will post the character when I'm done to see what you guys have to say, hopefully you will still have some advice.

>>47733727
How much should I be spending on attributes and how much on skills?
>>
File: Space Pirate V1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Space Pirate V1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47733858
Space Pirate Rough Draft.

I'm over points by 57, looking for advice on what to cut.
>>
>>47663858
GURPS.
>>
>>47733858
If you're spending more on skills that it would take to increase the underlying attribute, funnel points into the attribute instead. For example, if you've got 8 points in seven different mental skills, you should probably drop all but your favorite skills to 4 points and reinvest those points into IQ instead.

Beyond that, again I know 4e, not 3e. Maybe try the GURPS forums? They're actually pretty awesome as far as RPG forums go, what with the lack of godmodding, dev dicksucking, or other toxic community traits that plague other forums.
>>
>>47734309
Regrowth is crazy overpriced. Get rid of it, unless you have to take it with your race. With your TL you can just buy a cheap robot hand if something gets blown off.
>>
>>47734309
Just a few questions:
•Why do you have Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc. AND the Science! wildcard skill? Are you supposed to be mediocre/decent at all science skills (Science!-8) but specialize in the ones you listed specifically?
•Does the Ally advantage exist in 3e? How are you going to represent your AI buddy? Is that what all the science and mental skills are for?
>>
>>47664779
Goblins, Undead, and Ogre.

This would sound a lot more reasonable if I didn't know exactly what GURPS Ogre was. I should dig out my copy of Goblins though, it's a cool book.
>>
>>47737556
Yes
>>
File: GURPS fact of the day.png (18 KB, 727x117) Image search: [Google]
GURPS fact of the day.png
18 KB, 727x117
Bump
>>
>>47739012
I wanted to be able to slowly regen via the nanites. Maybe that's not worth the cost.

>>47739858
>Chem was a prereq for BioChem.
>BioChem I thought I might need for working with organic nanites.
>Engineering was so I could rebuild or repair my future tech using specs the AI has.
>Ally does exist. I wasn't sure how to build the AI, or what options to take. Will look into that now.
>>
>>47742052
I agree that all your science skills fit your character concept, but it seems odd to invest points into those *and* the Science! skill, which should cover those things anyway. Is Science! required by the ICORPS template?

Or does (Skill)! mean something different in 3e? In 4e, the exclamation point signifies a "wildcard" skill, essentially an umbrella skill that you roll against for any underlying skill, i.e. Science! to do anything science related, from answering an electrical engineering question to creating specialized drugs with biochemistry to calculating the flight arc of your improvised glider with physics.
>>
>>47742145
Ah. GM Made it sound like it only covered weird fringe science things not covered by the other science skills. I dunno. I'll look it up.
>>
>>47742196
>Science! requires Research at 13+, Two hard science skills with 2 points in them each, and can never have a total of more than your lowest of the two specific sciences -2.
>Research requires Computer Operations or Literacy.

So I was actually missing some prereqs; but I can actually now get rid of chemistry and biochemistry, and I'm up 2.5 pts.

And I am now realizing that GCA does not let me know if I'm missing prereqs before adding something, so I'm going to have to doublecheck my build again to make sure I meet all the prereqs.
>>
>>47742196
Your GM is a fuckwit. The general usage is for "I'm Rick Sanchez bitch! I can do anything BRPPP" an the like. It's a generic, point saving skill.

He should have made up like, a "parascience" or "Esoteric Science" or whatever. Something with a funny name. Maybe "Exotic Science"?

I don't know, but something specialized.

That's how it works generally. You have this specialized niche skill for more powerful, "hidden lore" things in science, or like, alchemy or arcane knowledge. Things the average guy doesn't know but you do. Things that give you power.

Also justifiably more expensive and requires a good reason for you knowing it because you know, gives you something in your toolbox most people can't do, even most people who could conceivably aspire to learning what you already have.

Yes, this makes you like a Science Wizard or something, but that's the idea.
>>
>>47742521
Weird Science, perhaps?
>>
>>47742521
It is in 4e; maybe 3e's Science! skill = 4e's Weird Science skill.

I'm inclined to think that's the case, since there's no reason to make a wildcard skill have prerequisites or a skull cap like that unless wildcard skills were supposed to be somewhat realistic in 3e
>>
File: IMG_20160612_162644037.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160612_162644037.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2667
Hey guys, look what I found on the bottom of the closet!
>>
>>47726727
>>47726749
Sounds pretty good friend. The only thing I would question is megacorps being able to immediately build private armies that rivaled standing militarie sin terms of manpower and funding, but I think you can bring them closer to parity by mentioning the decline of armies around the world (would also explain why a nuclear exchange between India and China didn't result in a world war - most countries just weren't up to it).
>>
>>47744558
I figured they'd initially hire from already existing PMCs, but even then I would need a massive military deescalation for that last bit to make sense. Good call!
>>
File: quirks.png (59 KB, 326x286) Image search: [Google]
quirks.png
59 KB, 326x286
>>47728824
You should mention the guidelines from the Quirks book.
>>
>>47745534
I don't own that book, but those are good thoughts too.
>>
Is the ST required to effectively use a fixed bayonet the same as the ST for the gun normally?
>>
File: GURPS WALLSTREET.jpg (182 KB, 611x768) Image search: [Google]
GURPS WALLSTREET.jpg
182 KB, 611x768
Would you play it?
>>
>>47747160
Yes. I would tank the economy hard.
>>
>>47746787
Yes
>>
>>47742521
From memory, the 3E SCIENCE! skill is nothing like the wildcards in 4E.

Why the GM is using 3E over 4E is a complete mystery though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-12-18-10-36.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-12-18-10-36.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
>>47746787
>>
>>47747436
I checked that. It doesn't say anything one way or another; it gives damage, reach, and skill used, but not ST. Under the descriptions of the weapons that sport a bayonet, they give a more specific range and final weight, but not the ST required to stab with it.

Still, using the gun's ST makes sense, so I'll go with >>47747370.
>>
>>47740105
"Sir Billingsley Thompson-Smythe! Aim the Atomic Cannon at the Zombie Mark VI and give it what for! For God, St, Michael and St. George!"
>>
Where is the Ritual Path Magic system? I mean, in what book?
>>
>>47749385
Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic. There's also the Laws of Magic issue of Pyramid, which includes two important articles, one that introduces RPM specialization (e.g. RPM Druid, RPM Elementalism, etc.) and another that lists a TON of variants (e.g. RPM+Effect Shaping, RPM+Magical Styles, RPM+Symbol Magic, etc.).

Between the core book and that issue of Pyramid, you should be set in terms of RPM.
>>
GURPS VEHICLES WHEN

On that note, am I the only one that wishes SJGames would make their projected release schedule public? I understand that shit changes, but I'd be a lot happier knowing that Awesome Supplement is two months away (plus maybe a few more to handle delays) rather than being left in the dark until its just shows up one day.
>>
>>47750197
I agree but this has bitten them on the ass more than once. Basically the GURPS section of the company is like three people and a handful of freelancers.
>>
>>47747414
He gave Three reasons:
>3e is what he's run and played in the past.
>He owns a shitton of hardcover 3e books and he wants to use them.
>He claims 4e lacks a lot of the content he wants to use, and complained about several things being spelled out in 3e and unusually absent in 4e. The example he gave me was the explanation for how quantums worked, which is in 3e GURPS Time Travel, but not in 4e Infinite Worlds.

Were I running GURPS (I'll definitely be playing it first before I run it), I'd be inclined to go with what I've been hearing from basically everyone, and run 4e.

My understanding is that while the books often have that hideous CG art, and I hear the organization is confusing in comparison to 3e, the game mechanics are apparently "3e but better, except for GURPS Magic".

And if I really needed something I couldn't find in 4e that existed in 3e, I'd ask how to convert it over. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard.

So, I've got a question:

Does GURPS Have/Where can I find rules for (preferably 4e, but if it's available in 3e only I'll look there)?:
>Mechanics for advancing through factions/guilds
>Mechanics for running a faction
>Mechanics for managing resources (town, army, province, country, etc).
>Mechanics for mass combat.
>Chase mechanics.
>>
>>47750335
>has bitten them on the ass more than once.
Care to elaborate?

>Basically the GURPS section of the company is like three people and a handful of freelancers.
And it's so fucking sad.
>>
>>47750518
>>Mechanics for advancing through factions/guilds
Can't say for sure but there are Social Engineering and Social Engineering - Pulling Rank.
>Mechanics for managing resources (town, army, province, country, etc).
Low-Tech Companion 3 - Daily Life And Economics has some stuff.
>Mechanics for mass combat.
Literally called Mass Combat.
>>
Anyone have a share or torrent with one of the current character builders?

There seem to be several of them, which one(s) do you guys use?
>>
>>47750518
A few threads back someone talked about Boardrooms and Curia a lot, no idea where or what that is though, but apparently it was for exactly that kind of thing.
>>
>>47750518
Social Engineering: Pulling Rank is kind of a guide to sizing up the value of a position in an organization.
>>47750950
Boardrooms and Curia is a guide for sizing up the actual organization, and kinda a bit on managing an organization. There are no organization wide resource management mechanics, but there are rules of thumb given along the lines of "an organization engaged in x line of work, with y amount of people, might have these kinds of resources available."

Dungeon Fantasy 17: Guilds is an application of both, but it doesn't explicitly have "advancement mechanics." Just "each rank in this type of guild costs x points and gives you y benefits."

Chase mechanics can be found in one of the Action books I think, number 2 I think.
>>
>>47750950
Found it on the website. It's not in my GURPS Collection.

Does anybody have a link to a relatively complete GURPS4e Share? Evidently mine is lacking.
>>
>>47750525
>And it's so fucking sad.
Munchkin is just too damn profitable. Anything else they do has to be compared to the money they're not making by spending that effort on a Munchkin product, and yes, I know,
>implying they spend any effort on Munchkin products

http://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/
>Top 40 Products by Dollar Volume

Top 40 Products by Dollar Volume
>1. Munchkin Deluxe
>2. Munchkin
>3. Zombie Dice
>4. Munckin Oz
>5. Munchkin Zombies
>6. Munchkin Pathfinder
>7. Munchkin 2 – Unnatural Axe
>8. Munchkin Mass Market
>9. Munchkin Quest
>10. Star Munchkin Deluxe
>11. Munchkin Cthulhu
>12. Munchkin Treasure Hunt
>13. Munchkin 3 – Clerical Errors
>14. Munchkin Apocalypse
>15. Illuminati
>16. Munchkin Legends Deluxe
>17. Munchkin Legends
>18. Munchkin 4 – The Need for Steed
>19. Munchkin Steampunk Deluxe Launch Kit
>20. Car Wars Classic
>21. Car Wars Card Games
>22. Star Munchkin
>23. Munchkin Pathfinder Deluxe
>24. Munchkin Steampunk Deluxe
>25. Super Munchkin
>26. Munchkin 5 – De-Ranged
>27. Car Wars Arena
>28. Munchkin Booty
>29. Star Munchkin 3 – Diplomatic Impunity
>30. Munchkin 7 – Cheat With Both Hands
>31. Munchkin 6 – Demented Dungeons
>32. Munchkin Zombies Deluxe
>33. Munchkin 8 – Half Horse, Will Travel
>34. Mars Attacks: The Dice Game
>35. Munchkin Bites!
>36. Munchkin Fu
>37. Munchkin Kittens
>38. Munchkin Holiday Surprise
>39. Munchkin Kobolds Ate My Baby!™
>40. Munchkin Game Changers
>>
>>47751854
>Munchkin features 33 times in the list

We're just too damn lucky they consider GURPS to be their baby. Any other company would've pulled the plug a long time ago.
>>
>>47751882
It's only 33 items because of the Car Wars kickstarter. Without that, it would be more.
>>
>>47751854
Is munchkin even that good?
>>
>>47751975
Munchkin is actually pretty great for a card game (which I generally don't really enjoy but have had many, many roommates over the years who were serious fanboys of anything CCG so I've played them quite a bit for it not being my thing).
>>
>>47743972
Martial arts 3e? In Brazilian Portuguese? Scan that shit bro.
>>
>>47751975

Munchkin is a game about fucking over your friends as hard as possible for personal gain, and it's hella fun.
>>
File: ArmyRations.jpg (176 KB, 688x427) Image search: [Google]
ArmyRations.jpg
176 KB, 688x427
Is there any in-game drawback to eating the cheapest food possible? Trying to prepare for a long trip and one of the things I found was that Travel Rations cost $42 per week and (Basic, Page 288) but you can get Status -2 rations that cost $5 per week, or Status -1 rations that cost $15 per week(Basic, Page 265). Buying for 4 people for a month, that REALLY adds up. Even Status 0 everyday person rations are $30.

There is the advantage that Page 288 generic $2 per meal rations weigh .5 per meal / 10.5 per week instead of 14 per week / 2/3rds of a pound per meal.
>>
>>47754129
There's no in-game drawback.

They taste like I would imagine blended donkey anus dipped in bird shit tastes like and they sap your will to live. They also might have micronutrient imbalances that will fuck you up over time but none of those things are really important for most games.
>>
>>47754129
A thread or two ago, we discussed how to represent nutrient deficiency like scurvy, but unless the GM specifically wants to bring that into play (or does a more habdwavey version) to make cheap rations have a drawback, no, there's no real drawback.

Further ideas for giving cheap rations drawbacks:
-Reaction penalty, either because no one wants to eat with the guy that guzzles a pound of spam a day and nothing else, or the cheap shit gives you a rank odor.
-Will rolls to force yourself to eat greasy gruel for the eighteenth time this week (+2 per 1FP lost to hunger; you'll eat it when you have to, but you won't snack on it).
>>
>>47741799

That's cute of them
>>
>>47751975
No.

But a lot of people like it. It's a "good" (bad) game to play with friends while drinking and laughing and having fun despite the game's rules, laughing at its terrible jokes and references. Bit like Talisman, but lighter.

Of course, enough people disagree to keep SJ Games alive, so I can't exactly _hate_ it.
>>
>>47755916
I am now tempted to forward them a braille-capable friend to get free copies of new books....
>>
>>47752625
Positive to all inquiries. Printed in 2000, bought in 2005
>>
>>47754710

Scurvy can be threatening in it's own way.

Check out Stephen King's book "The Drawing of the Three" to see how a steady diet of lobster meat alone can ruin a party's chances of surviving.
>>
Any rules or advice for cyberpunk hacking? I looked in the basic, the ultra-tech and the space manuals and found nothing.

I have in mind the "plug your mind to the hackverse" kind of hacking.
>>
>>47759989
"Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu" article from http://www.warehouse23.com/products/pyramid-number-3-slash-21-cyberpunk
>>
>>47760073
What a coincidence, I just downloaded that from the mega, and I was reading it.

why is only volume 3 hosted in the mega?
>>
>>47759789
>"Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu"
Best title ever.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.