[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What effect does losing an arm have on a magic caster in D&D?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1429788710398.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1429788710398.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
What effect does losing an arm have on a magic caster in D&D?

(I don't have any pictures of wizards missing arms.)
>>
It would hurt a lot.
>>
>>47663745
I was going to say losing a ring slot but you could just wear two on the other hand
>>
>>47663745
It means he's considered unarmed.
>>
As long as he still has one arm he can still cast spells. Casting spells only takes one hand. He wouldn't be able to hold anything while casting any longer though.;
>>
you can't use spells with somatic components as you don't have the limbs required to gesture said spells.
>>
>>47663745
Not too much, you only need one free hand to cast spells.

However if you wield a weapon for whatever reason, you would have to burn a feat to quick-sheath it, and maybe another to quick-draw it. You would end up spending more spells to overcome simple challenges that require two hands (like climbing) and using both wands and magic at the same time could prove difficult.

You'll also no longer be able to use gloves or bracers as both must be worn.
>>
>>47663991
+1
>>
>>47663745
In The Magicians, a wizard named Penny gets his hands cut off and learns a style of casting that works by using all the muscles in his body in a specific way that circuments normal somatic casting.

Later, he gets glowing hands made of telekinetic force.
>>
File: Curse.png (486 KB, 1350x593) Image search: [Google]
Curse.png
486 KB, 1350x593
>>47663745
Depends on your edition and DM. Losing a limb is sort of hard to do in vanilla D&D to begin with.

Somatic components are often assumed to use the hands (so you can prevent somatic casting with manacles same as you would prevent verbal casting with a gag) but depending on the edition it might not get that specific.
>>
>>47664029
Do somatic components need both arms? Why can't the somatics be done with one hand/arm?
>>
>>47663765
You would
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.