[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A moment of silence for rp.thesubnet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: VTMAhnk.jpg (3 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
VTMAhnk.jpg
3 KB, 251x201
I don't know if this means anything to anyone here, but recently the website, http://rp.thesubnet.com/ was taken down, as a result of cease and desist letters from Paradox Interactive Entertainment.

This content upon the site, was apparently in violation of Paradox Entertainment's policies, associated with spreading material about their games to others seeking to learn more about the World of Darkness games, and setting (though the site did not actually provide any illegal downloads to any products).

In this case, rp.thesubnet was designated to assist people playing world of darkness games (VTM, WTA, etc), and had material which helped people create characters for such a setting.

This is especially a stab to my friends and I, who just started learning some of the new WoD games, considering the 20th anniversary edition of VTM was released, not too long ago.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, what happened here. I thought the site was a great resource, and very helpful to those of us who didn't have all of the information readily available to play.

Anyhow, thanks for taking a moment to read this..
>>
You're just going to pirate the books, right? How did you lose anything?
>>
>>47656653
OP is sad at the loss of the community, not the source of information, you assman
>>
>>47656653
Ease of access and centralization are attributes we valued and the subnet was an excellent source of that. It was a small purveyor of information and mechanics, and even some (but crucially not all) of the rp elements, like a less-encompassing but still appreciated SRD. You could get any mechanical info there, and while you couldn't run a game wholesale with it, it had a breadth and store of useful and largely up-to-date info that a person with only core games would have to sift through perhaps a dozen other books to collect.

We lost a fairly efficient, organized and detailed compendium of material that, yes was stolen, but was made easy to peruse and concisely deliverable. The dump on the main thread hasn't been updated in years, and newer provided material is often in-progress dev work and thus can't be used with any veracity, something the subnet avoided by using only release text.
So yeah, by being absolutely and perfectly within exercise of their legal rights, Paradox (maybe Tencent in the future, if rumors hold weight) have expunged a convenient, commited, and damn-near likable site of their material from the net, and we're whiny about it. We don't have any real right to be so, but the urge is there.
>>
File: 1461223730608.jpg (98 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
1461223730608.jpg
98 KB, 700x1050
Time has a beginning and an end or so some may have you believe. As long as it exists between those two points, the Mysterium will find it.
>>
>>47656653
Yeah gonna be honest, I have been meaning to say, subnet was ludicrously well organised compared the actual books.

I would pay good money for a 'legal' version of subnet's utility.

Its outage has now retroactively made playing Mage 1e a fucking nightmare under some DMs. Because they demand you cite precedent for doing a thing, and subnet was the absolute best set of unified, searchable spell databases.
>>
>>47655406
Welcome to the internet. Every day, a little bit more sanitized, a little bit more safe for Joe Plebeian.

Did you know that the original video on donotwatch.org doesn't exist anymore? I didn't. I do now. I'm pissed.
>>
>>47658605
>>47655406
While the Subnet was incredibly useful for learning the rules quickly and making playing WoD pretty painless, they pretty much gave you all the rules for every single WoD game on their site.

It was only a matter of time until Subnet was taken down, the entire site was a MASSIVE copyright violation, even it it was a fansite.
>>
>>47656832
>was made easy to peruse and concisely deliverable
And this is why publishers make books. They're purposely fragmented so that you buy their shit.
>>
>>47658605
>more safe for Joe Plebeian
>less safe for stupid criminals
>fify

Some people consider the consequences of law-breaking "oppression" if they don't like the law. These people are called "criminals." Criminals who publish gigabytes of incriminating evidence online are called "stupid." The site admin's choices were the eVersion of suicide by cop. We should all be happy for him - he got what he wanted.
>>
>>47655406
>literally contains every single book from cover to cover, just reworded a bit
>muh evil corporations don't support muh good deeds
>>
>>47655406
https://web.archive.org/web/20160305092247/http://rp.thesubnet.com/
>>
>>47658757
> It was only a matter of time until Subnet was taken down, the entire site was a MASSIVE copyright violation, even it it was a fansite.
Which is why we need to move to i2p or whatnot.

This is getting ludicrous already. Companies are incapable or unwilling provide service and are actively messing with those that are capable.
>>
>>47662271
>are actively messing with those that are capable.
They just posted the books, they didn't provide anything the company wasn't already doing
>>
F
>>
>>47655406
>Paradox
As was expected. While Stellaris isn't bad, HOI4 is an abortion whose DLC will only grow more obnoxious as time goes on. Hopefully there is an archive for that site, as an SRD is incredibly useful for any system with more rules than Risus.
>>
R.I.P.
>>
File: 1367517025019.png (3 KB, 276x452) Image search: [Google]
1367517025019.png
3 KB, 276x452
>>47655406
huh.

>>47656832
>>47658583

Ok, wow. This is actually terrible and should not have happened.

>>47661425
>https://web.archive.org/web/20160305092247/http://rp.thesubnet.com/

does this mean there is hope?
>>
>>47665808
it's something they legally have to do in order to keep their ip
>>
>>47655406
THANKS BASED PARADOX
>>
>>47666518
Interesting, then I guess due to the SavageWiki and the 5thSRD, the FoW EasyArmy or the Infinity Army Builder more IPs than I thought of are up for grabs. It's not like they could have made an official version like the official Pathfinder SRD or Flames of War Forces, I suppose that is just too much effort for Paradox.
>>
>Swedes

Dammit.
>>
File: dredd (2).gif (2 MB, 331x240) Image search: [Google]
dredd (2).gif
2 MB, 331x240
They broke the law.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.