[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we please stop referring to dungeons and dragons like it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: ph-barroom-brawl.jpg (351 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
ph-barroom-brawl.jpg
351 KB, 1600x1200
Can we please stop referring to dungeons and dragons like it's one game, when it is, by my count, at least eight different systems, some of which are very similar to and some of which are quite different from one another?

It's amazing that this board can simultaneously have edition wars and blanket dismissals of D&D as "all about casters" and "a power trip game" and so on.

Unless the very idea of medieval fantasy doesn't appeal to you, there's no reason to refuse to try one edition of D&D just because you didn't like another.
>>
Yes, let's all agree to do that.
>>
>>47649007
That's why it's important to specify edition when you're talking about D&D.
I'll agree wholeheartedly that blanket statements about it are retarded.
>>
>>47649007
>power trip game
that's just the work of a shitty DM.
>>
No.
>>
>>47649007
Why? None of them that I've played (so all of the AD&D 2e, 3e, 3.5, PF, 4e, 5e) seemed all that excellent to me, and I've been told that OSR games trump basic. Why would I not act like someone wouldn't like the others if they don't like one?
>>
>>47651557
Even if you don't think they're excellent, they are sufficiently different that it's quite possible someone may love one and hate another.

>I've been told that OSR games trump basic.
OSR games basically are basic with some tweaks. If you play S&W or LL, you might as well say you're playing D&D, and if you play LotFP, you might as well say you're playing D&D with a bunch of house rules.
>>
But it's all shit.
>>
>>47657362
Explain to me why B/X and retroclones thereof are shit.
>>
>>47649007
That elf mage sure has been doing her crunches! :3
>>
>>47657362
Eh, I hate most of D&D with a passion, but retroclones and B/X are fine.
>>
>>47649052
fpbp
>>
>>47660294
You get visible abs from weight loss more than from building the muscle in the abdomen, and losing weight in specific areas is a myth. My guess is her magic somehow consumes energy from her body, or she just eats very healthy.
>>
>>47649007
But almost all the complaints about D&D apply to all of the systems.
>>
>>47649007
People here are mostly talking about 3e when they discuss that stuff because people on /tg/ most got onboard D&D and roleplaying in the first place because of 3e and thus make some pretty dumbass assumptions that 3e is somehow the default rather then the flavor they just happened to try first.

Fact is most people don't have that expansive a viewpoint; literally all things relevant to them somehow relate back directly to themselves and their individual lives and choices, and most folks assume because they did a specific thing in a specific way first everyone else also did the same thing in that specific way first, even if they intellectually know this cannot possibly be true.
>>
>>47664051

Agreed

3e hate has become a meme
>>
>>47663935
>But almost all the complaints about D&D apply to all the systems.
Give me some.
>>
>>47663935
Half of the complaints about D&D don't even apply to all of D&D
>>
>>47667202
Most of them are just people raging against 3.5
>>
>>47649007
>and "a power trip game"
I've never seen anyone say this because almost all RPGs are about escapism and power trips. There's nothing wrong with that.
>inb4 that FFT girl-boy-thing saying escapism is bad
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.